PDA

View Full Version : McFooly's Article Today

2011BisonAlumni
08-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Seems to me he is implying NDSU is winning championships due to zero competition. FCS is no different from FBS. Realistically how many teams, really, can win an FBS title? 5 maybe 10 tops.

http://inforum.com/opinion/columns/4481021-mcfeely-how-many-fcs-teams-really-could-win-national-championship

MNLonghorn10
08-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Seems to me he is implying NDSU is winning championships due to zero competition. FCS is no different from FBS. Realistically how many teams, really, can win an FBS title? 5 maybe 10 tops.

http://inforum.com/opinion/columns/4481021-mcfeely-how-many-fcs-teams-really-could-win-national-championship10 tops? That's 8 more than what the fcs bodes

Herd
08-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Mission accompli oh mcfoolish one. Let the gnashing Of teeth commence.

kab1one
08-03-2018, 04:29 PM

http://inforum.com/opinion/columns/4481021-mcfeely-how-many-fcs-teams-really-could-win-national-championship

Isn't he spot on? And haven't we had this discussion before when it was viewed 10-15 teams a few years back could compete. Whereas now that number has gotten smaller, but the won thing Mike leaves out the Valley has probably gotten more difficult for the Bison to run the table on due to the improvement of USD, along with an occasional one off run by a team (Illinois State), and the more traditional year in and year solid teams. SDSU and UNI.

In the FCS, how many schools offer the full ride of scholarships? That in my opinion is the number of teams that have "any chance", from there you can reduce the field. NDSU full allotment versus that of UND for example. UND doesn't have a chance. can say that about the Montana schools currently. And Eastern Washington as they only play offense.

So, the 20 (or whatever the exact number is) full scholarship schools is very quickly reduced.

Lakes and all his yelling for a different conference and moving up, is probably correct from a football competition perspective, but the money just doesn't work. So as a result, we should just enjoy the run

NorthernBison
08-03-2018, 04:41 PM
He actually said FCS is much the same as FBS in terms of the teams capable of winning it all each year.

Nothing negative in what I read. Definitely nothing dissing NDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
08-03-2018, 04:49 PM
He actually said FCS is much the same as FBS in terms of the teams capable of winning it all each year.

Agreed. It was 100% factual and well researched. I thought this was fairly well known. This is the rational part of the FBS or bust crowd argument; the irrational part are the money, facility, and crap G5 issues.

JMB
08-03-2018, 04:49 PM

Yeah I certainly didn't get a negative vibe, and he mentions in the article that this isn't unique to Fcs, look at Championship participants at the D3 level. This is happening all over in football.

tony
08-03-2018, 05:03 PM
"Hey, we are in Division X and are, by my math, one of the only 10 teams who can win a championship. That's bogus! We need to move to Division X-1 where we will be one of the teams who will never have a chance to win a championship! And the great thing about it is that we need to double our budget to do it!"

Snowgoose
08-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Agreed. It was 100% factual and well researched. I thought this was fairly well known. This is the rational part of the FBS or bust crowd argument; the irrational part are the money, facility, and crap G5 issues.

I actually don't think this is a rational part of the move to FBS. FBS is almost identical. Maybe a couple more schools have a chance. But realistically only the top one or two Schools from the Big five conferences legitimately have a even chance to qualify for the playoff as the G5 conferences have zero chance to even be in the playoffs right now.

Kujava23
08-03-2018, 05:17 PM
I NEVER read McFooly ever! He has issues....

NDSU should NEVER have to feel guilty that they BETTER than competition in recruiting, player development, coaching, and facilities!!

It's the LOSERS who say welllll they only win because there aren't many good teams----which means our team is really shitty and will never compete with NDSU so we have to try to minimize their accomplishments----I've heard this BS from fans from school up north---cant fix stupid

As for the other ignorant people who say NDSU needs competition and just move to the FBS---its about MONEY---NOT JUST FOOTBALL for entire athletic department to bump up

GO BISON!!!!!

Christopher Moen
08-03-2018, 05:23 PM
I think the article focuses too much on the past and provides little insight on the actual future of the FCS. Go back three years ago, and the same article could have be written, except that JMU is not considered a top-tier team. There are going to be teams rising to be part of the cream of the crop, especially in Georgia Southern and App State's area. One of those teams will be Kennesaw State.

I also think teams will start rising elsewhere, especially in the Big Sky. Too many good teams with great tradition to be kept down.

With that said, NDSU will be ready for them.

tony
08-03-2018, 05:46 PM
I think the article focuses too much on the past and provides little insight on the actual future of the FCS. Go back three years ago, and the same article could have be written, except that JMU is not considered a top-tier team. There are going to be teams rising to be part of the cream of the crop, especially in Georgia Southern and App State's area. One of those teams will be Kennesaw State.

I also think teams will start rising elsewhere, especially in the Big Sky. Too many good teams with great tradition to be kept down.

With that said, NDSU will be ready for them.

People have short memories. 30 teams have made the quarterfinals since 2010.

TAILG8R
08-03-2018, 06:00 PM
I guess I didn't see anything in the artciel that was negative toward NDSU. I think NDSU is so dinunage right now that it skews the argument a bit. As was pointed out earlier, where was JMU 4-5 years ago? Kennesaw will likely come on strong. In reality you need to remove NDSU from the discussion if you want to talk about the strength of the FCS because trying to compare the rest to a team as dominate as the Bison is difficult at best. But that becomes difficult becomes removing the Bison leaves no clear best team each year. My point is without NDSU I think you would have seen 4-5 different champions the last 7 years. Which makes for more parity.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

HerdBot
08-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Who cares hes all about hot takes. Steven A McFooley. There are legitimately only 6 or 7 teams in the FBS who have a chance too.

Bisonator98
08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Lol the CFP is dominated by the same 4-5 teams every year. Isn't anyone else sick of watching Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and another SEC team battle it out every year? Oooh maybe an Oklahoma or Washington sneaks in this year to get clobbered by Bama......color me excited.:rofl:

MankatoBison
08-03-2018, 07:09 PM
Mcfeely is right on. Theres literally only 2 teams who could win.

FBS has way more parity and its insane if you cant acknowledge that. heck there is even more parity in the G5 for goodness sake. Boise, Houston, UCF, FAU, Memphis, fresno state and San Diego state this year each have a shot at their "UCF style National Championship" haha.

MankatoBison
08-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Mcfeely is right on. Theres literally only 2 teams who could win.

FBS has way more parity and its insane if you cant acknowledge that. heck there is even more parity in the G5 for goodness sake. Boise, Houston, UCF, FAU, Memphis, fresno state and San Diego state this year each have a shot at their "UCF style National Championship" haha.

JMB
08-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Who cares hes all about hot takes. Steven A McFooley. There are legitimately only 6 or 7 teams in the FBS who have a chance too.

He basically said that in the article.

MankatoBison
08-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Also, he never said that we only succeed because others arent good. He just said there isn't parity. Like any. at all. NDSU and probably JMU are just light-years ahead of everyone else.

I hope the Montana Schools and Eastern and UNI can raise their game and bring some balance to the FCS

TinyBisonFan
08-03-2018, 07:28 PM
I did see that JMU just announced that they will be provided Cost-of-Attendance for all sports starting in 2019.

That helps out schools a lot in the recruiting game.

JMB
08-03-2018, 07:56 PM
I did see that JMU just announced that they will be provided Cost-of-Attendance for all sports starting in 2019.

That helps out schools a lot in the recruiting game.

Honestly the more schools that do that, the better it is for NDSU at this level. Why? Cost-of-Attendance is certainly a competitive advantage for those who offer it. If only a few do, I could see the voting body of FCS saying, "Hey we need to level the playing field!" Now, in today's environment, I doubt they would take cost-of-attendance away as there is already too much buzz around should athletes be paid.... But they could say "we should reduce scholarships so we can move money from the scholarship bucket to the cost of attendance bucket". Not saying it will happen, but worth thinking about.

(I also think the day is coming where the Big 5 say "85 scholarships! Ha! We want 100!" and vote to increase the number of scholarships they can offer. Granted there are some title 9 things to figure out, but I would think almost all the big schools could afford more scholarships.)

AKBison
08-03-2018, 08:09 PM
I avoid trying to click on anything that idiot writes but for some reason I usually falter when it's a Bison article from him. In this rate case he is pretty much spot on. I can't wait until the G5 does their own thing. Even if it's a 4 team playoff from the top four conference champions, it would be a blast as each game would be Frieco-esque.

Vet70
08-03-2018, 08:52 PM
What he is saying about the FCS and FBS is also true about the NFL (and some other sports like the NBA). How many teams have legitimate shot at winning the Superbowl?

Bison Loaf
08-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Honestly, I have no idea what the whole point of the article even is. He even buries a little sentence in there that some of you may have missed:

"The FCS is top-heavy, just the same as ALL divisions of NCAA football." (The underline and emphasis are mine)

So if that statement is true, what the hell is the point? :facepalm::facepalm:

Milkman
What he is saying about the FCS and FBS is also true about the NFL (and some other sports like the NBA). How many teams have legitimate shot at winning the Superbowl?FCS and NFL have one thing in common, remove the current dynasty and there is actually a lot of parity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
What he is saying about the FCS and FBS is also true about the NFL (and some other sports like the NBA). How many teams have legitimate shot at winning the Superbowl?

I disagree slightly on that. While some NFL teams have done extremely well, it is more just culture/leadership that's led to the differences. In college, there are extreme structural and monetary difference as well.

TinyBisonFan
08-03-2018, 09:14 PM

I think the main difference in the comparison with the NFL (which is not NEARLY as unbalanced as the NBA is right now) is that the NFL has 32 teams, whereas the FCS has 125 and FBS has 117(?). There is much more parity in the NFL than there is in college football. If you look at the league since the Patriots first win back in 2002, the AFC has been represented by 6 different teams (Pats (8), Raiders (1), Steelers (3), Colts (2), Ravens (1), Broncos (2)), and the NFC has had 13 different teams (Rams, Bucs, Panthers (2), Eagles (2), Seahawks (3), Bears, Giants (2), Cardinals, Saints, Packers, 49ers, and Falcons). Some of those teams weren't really in the conversation at the beginning of the season for a SuperBowl run, like the Eagles last year. They were supposed to be good and compete for the NFC East, but not expected to win the Superbowl.

Christopher Moen
08-03-2018, 09:31 PM

You pretty much paraphrased what was said a few weeks ago on 104.3 TheFan in Denver. I can't remember which duo were talking at the moment (I believe it was Mike Pritchard and Cecil Lammey) about NFL ownership and their actual goals. Of the two commentators, the former NFL player (Pritchard if I'm correct) claimed that in the NFL, there are probably no more than five owners who are "determined" about winning the Super Bowl every year. For the others, it's about making money. In my opinion, that pretty much goes for every other major professional sports league - NBA, MLB and NHL. I'm sure soccer has somewhat the same dilemma, but I don't know which league is the actual big one. I just know it's not MLS, it's somewhere in Europe and has guys like Ronaldo playing in it.

In regards to NCAA Football, is there really ever parity at any level? The P5 has lots of big schools and share lots of money among themselves, but when was the last time teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Miami, Clemson, Florida State, Texas, LSU, Notre Dame, Florida, Michigan, Penn State, USC and Nebraska. Sure, every individual school has its down-cycle, but for the most part, the Championship, no mater how it was determined, was more than likely won by the usual suspects of about 15 teams over a long period of time.

For DII, it was a mixed bag early on when it was created in 1973. In the 80s, it was ruled by NDSU. Since the 90s, it has been dominated by teams like NW Missouri State (I wish they had the ability to move up to the FCS) and Grand Valley State.

For DIII, outside of the few Wisconsin Schools, the division has been owned since the early 90s by Mount Union.

In regards to our Division, the FCS was always dominated by just a few schools. For the first 20 years, it was mainly Georgia Southern that was in the hunt for the Championship. In the 90s, Marshall and Youngstown State were beasts of a team. From the 90s and 2000s, Montana was a perennial threat and App State owned the division in the late 2000s. After that, well, we know the rest of the story.

Vet70
08-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Well, that got a response. :rofl: I stand corrected (a weird phrase since I am not standing).

NovaBison
08-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Honestly the more schools that do that, the better it is for NDSU at this level. Why? Cost-of-Attendance is certainly a competitive advantage for those who offer it. If only a few do, I could see the voting body of FCS saying, "Hey we need to level the playing field!" Now, in today's environment, I doubt they would take cost-of-attendance away as there is already too much buzz around should athletes be paid.... But they could say "we should reduce scholarships so we can move money from the scholarship bucket to the cost of attendance bucket". Not saying it will happen, but worth thinking about.

(I also think the day is coming where the Big 5 say "85 scholarships! Ha! We want 100!" and vote to increase the number of scholarships they can offer. Granted there are some title 9 things to figure out, but I would think almost all the big schools could afford more scholarships.)

That "we need to level the playing field" argument is such a bunch of BS... not saying the FCS wouldn't try it... But, if you don't have sufficient resources to compete at a particular level you need to drop down to a level you can afford, or drop football altogether. There are a lot of Division 1 (both FCS and FBS) football teams that have no business playing football at the Division 1 level.

Prime Power
08-03-2018, 11:02 PM
FCS and NFL have one thing in common, remove the current dynasty and there is actually a lot of parity.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can add NBA as well.

thebootfitter
08-03-2018, 11:10 PM
That "we need to level the playing field" argument is such a bunch of BS... not saying the FCS wouldn't try it... But, if you don't have sufficient resources to compete at a particular level you need to drop down to a level you can afford, or drop football altogether. There are a lot of Division 1 (both FCS and FBS) football teams that have no business playing football at the Division 1 level.
That's a valid opinion, but is not necessarily the way that everyone will think. It happened in DII in the early 90's. If there's enough momentum with the necessary powers that govern, it could easily happen.

Vet70
08-03-2018, 11:12 PM

The thing that bugs me in reading a lot of comments by other fans is that the underlying tone is sometimes along the lines that NDSU lucked out or was given this success. They can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that the Bison have had a great deal of success over the last 50 plus years and this current team has been built by a lot of hard work.

NovaBison
08-03-2018, 11:47 PM
That's a valid opinion, but is not necessarily the way that everyone will think. It happened in DII in the early 90's. If there's enough momentum with the necessary powers that govern, it could easily happen.

I agree with you... if it happened, I would be pissed! Seriously, if you have to play multiple "money games" to fund your athletic program, or you fund it predominantly through student fees and school funds, you need to seriously throttle things back and move down a level to something you can afford.

Christopher Moen
08-03-2018, 11:57 PM
The thing that bugs me in reading a lot of comments by other fans is that the underlying tone is sometimes along the lines that NDSU lucked out or was given this success. They can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that the Bison have had a great deal of success over the last 50 plus years and this current team has been built by a lot of hard work.

Winning Championships aren't easy and aren't something that you wait to take your turn at.

NovaBison
08-04-2018, 12:00 AM

I always see some bullsh*t list that includes Marshall, Georgia Southern, App State, ODU, and Coastal Carolina, and some nonsense about "if they were still in the FCS, NDSU would not have won all those titles..." such a bunch of crap! Hell, the FCS/1AA is lucky NDSU waited till 2003 to move up -- if it was earlier, we would have a lot more 1AA/FCS Championship trophies. And seriously, some of the teams those idiots list would have been dismantled by NDSU -- ODU? Seriously, they had no defense whatsoever! and CCU played us twice, and we won twice! We owned Georgia Southern, and we would have taken down App State if given the chance. Marshall with Randy Moss would have been an interesting game though :)

Christopher Moen
08-04-2018, 12:16 AM
Marshall with Randy Moss would have been an interesting game though :)

Might have been like playing EWU in 2016 again, where they had Cooper Cupp and two other WRs (Kendrick Bourne and Shaq Hill) that also ended up in the NFL last year in some type of fashion.

JMB
08-04-2018, 02:29 AM

Hey I understand your point, but... the rules of the FCS are defined by the members. One school, one vote. We complain on here about "watering down" of division 2. I argue that something else happened, that NDSU outgrew the division and became an outlier. The schools in the division adjusted the rules so there were more inline with what the "typical" division 2 school was capable of.

reformedUNDfan
08-04-2018, 03:24 AM
"Hey, we are in Division X and are, by my math, one of the only 10 teams who can win a championship. That's bogus! We need to move to Division X-1 where we will be one of the teams who will never have a chance to win a championship! And the great thing about it is that we need to double our budget to do it!"

I, personally, am convinced that NDSU can win the big one.

reformedUNDfan
08-04-2018, 03:35 AM

UF
LSU
AU
UA
OSU
FSU
CU

that seven different schools that have one one in the last 11 years

11 different schools have won titles this century, and UU and UCF have been in position to claim split titles as well. Multiple other teams have appeared in the championship game.

Vet70
08-04-2018, 04:07 AM
UF
LSU
AU
UA
OSU
FSU
CU

that seven different schools that have one one in the last 11 years

11 different schools have won titles this century, and UU and UCF have been in position to claim split titles as well. Multiple other teams have appeared in the championship game.

It depends how you slice it. In the FCS in last 7 years, there have been two schools winning it all. In the FBS there have been 4, but Alabama has won 4 of 7. As far as UCF goes I still don't buy it. The only poll that I could find that rated them higher than Alabama was the Colley Matrix by .006349th of a point. Not much of a claim.

NovaBison
08-04-2018, 02:03 PM

I agree with you... I am convinced that "Bison Football Culture" would make them champions at any level... I do caveat that with saying we would need the 22 additional scholarships though. I understand that many may find find my beliefs completely delusional -- but its a free country :)

MNLonghorn10
08-04-2018, 02:19 PM

I agree with you... I am convinced that "Bison Football Culture" would make them champions at any level... I do caveat that with saying we would need the 22 additional scholarships though. I understand that many may find find my beliefs completely delusional -- but its a free country :)

http://replygif.net/i/222.gif

scottietohottie
08-04-2018, 03:20 PM
We want Alabama!

Vet70
08-04-2018, 03:26 PM
We want Northern Alabama!

(10 Char).

scottietohottie
08-04-2018, 03:34 PM
(10 Char).

We also want mcfeely in a speedo for next year's bi photo shoot.

Vet70
08-04-2018, 03:53 PM
We also want mcfeely in a speedo for next year's bi photo shoot.

https://i.imgur.com/BJvTo8m.gif?1

Vet70
08-04-2018, 03:59 PM

https://i.imgur.com/gb7MTeL.gif?1

NovaBison
08-04-2018, 04:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/gb7MTeL.gif?1

Ok... I might have got a little crazy there!

Trumpster
08-04-2018, 11:01 PM

I think you got that back asswards. This would be like D2 reducing scholarships to pull NDSU down to their level. If this happens NDSU needs to learn from history and GTFO of the FCS.

Vet70
08-05-2018, 01:14 AM
I think you got that back asswards. This would be like D2 reducing scholarships to pull NDSU down to their level. If this happens NDSU needs to learn from history and GTFO of the FCS.

If we keep winning maybe they will get tired of us and kick us out.

BisManBison
08-05-2018, 01:41 AM
If we keep winning maybe they will get tired of us and kick us out.

Cal Poly fans are on board with that lol

Vet70
08-05-2018, 02:55 AM

I know, I saw that a couple of weeks ago. At least it won't (probably) be before September 1st.

EC8CH
08-05-2018, 03:47 AM

Lots of acceptance rate talk :rofl:

How is Lakes not there demonstrating the intellect of our fanbase?

barnwintersportsengelstad
08-06-2018, 01:45 AM

Good off season dreaming.

StL Bison Fan
08-06-2018, 01:47 AM

He is helping Delaware out

CaBisonFan
08-06-2018, 02:30 AM
Cal Poly fans are on board with that lolI remember listening to a Cal Poly game last decade when they kicked us around in SLO...the announcers said that they were simply too athletic for us. Funny

Still...Cal Poly has always had athletic teams.

CaBisonFan
08-06-2018, 02:32 AM
If we were in an FBS conference...do you guys think that our fans would stick around for the 3rd or 4th quarter?

No_Skill
08-06-2018, 02:36 AM
If we were in an FBS conference...do you guys think that our fans would stick around for the 3rd or 4th quarter?

Depends on how big of a lead on Bama we have.

RonMexico
08-06-2018, 01:03 PM

The problem is that unless NDSU gets into a POWER 5 conference, they will never have a chance at one, no matter how good they are. No team from the MAC or Mountain West or whatever G5 conference the Bison get into, is EVER going to play for a national title at the FBS level.

Hammerhead
08-06-2018, 01:31 PM
The problem is that unless NDSU gets into a POWER 5 conference, they will never have a chance at one, no matter how good they are. No team from the MAC or Mountain West or whatever G5 conference the Bison get into, is EVER going to play for a national title at the FBS level.

Even Boise State in their best years would probably be left out of the current FBS "playoff" system.

Vet70
08-06-2018, 01:35 PM
I remember listening to a Cal Poly game last decade when they kicked us around in SLO...the announcers said that they were simply too athletic for us. Funny

Still...Cal Poly has always had athletic teams.

That's because of the low acceptance rate and they are smarter.

JMB
08-06-2018, 02:17 PM

I think we were saying a bit of the same thing... The more schools that offer cost of attendance with full scholarships, the more healthy the entire sub-division is. If NDSU starts sticking out like a sore thumb, offering perks and benefits that the other schools can't offer, it is certainly a possibility that the other schools vote to reign in the spending (or perhaps make NDSU think about going elsewhere). As I mentioned in my original post, outlawing "Cost of Attendance" in today's world would be a PR nightmare for the FCS schools, so their other course of action would be to reduce scholarships. (Money is money). And yes, that is exactly what happened at Division 2.

MankatoBison
08-06-2018, 02:34 PM
I've been inhaling College football podcasts the last month, and I've heard multiple shows refer to NDSU and JMU as "FBS Schools" etc. (Cover 2 Podcast, The Solid Verbal (Really like these guys) and Podcast Aint Played Nobody)

They all can acknowledge that we're MILES ahead of the next echelon of FCS in almost every single way. I love that we are the best- absolutely love it. I love the thing we have with JMU... I just wish tere were 3-4 other teams in the mix for varieties sake.

I literally Pray that Montana and i guess Montana State too, can figure out their sh*t.

Professor Chaos
08-06-2018, 03:14 PM
I've been inhaling College football podcasts the last month, and I've heard multiple shows refer to NDSU and JMU as "FBS Schools" etc. (Cover 2 Podcast, The Solid Verbal (Really like these guys) and Podcast Aint Played Nobody)

They all can acknowledge that we're MILES ahead of the next echelon of FCS in almost every single way. I love that we are the best- absolutely love it. I love the thing we have with JMU... I just wish tere were 3-4 other teams in the mix for varieties sake.

I literally Pray that Montana and i guess Montana State too, can figure out their sh*t.
I pitched this idea on AGS a few months back but I'd like to see NDSU and JMU start up a scheduling alliance of sorts with a couple other of the heavy hitters in the FCS.... perhaps Montana and Jacksonville St. My theory is each of those teams play each other on a 3 year rotating basis at neutral sites but the neutral site is the same for both games and rotates yearly between 4 sites that are the primary metro areas for each school. For NDSU it would be Minneapolis, for JMU it would be Washington DC, for Montana it would (probably) be Seattle, and for Jacksonville St it would be Atlanta. Either play both games on the same day or play one game Friday night and other Saturday afternoon (at the same venue).

It would be easy travel for fans of all 4 schools since there are major airports at each site. There would be a massive following for at least the one school that is in their "home metro". It would be a fun atmosphere and tailgate since all the schools have solid followings. It would be even be fun to go to (or maybe just tailgate for) the other game as well that your team isn't playing in.

The biggest difficulties I would see is finding the appropriate venues to partner with. I don't think they'd want to do NFL stadiums but finding a stadium that could accommodate crowds in the 30k range would be necessary I'd think. Then of course they'd have to find dates that work for all 4 of those schools every year and the schools themselves would have to agree to do it. So there's a lot of "ifs" and hypotheticals in all of that but I think it would be a hell of a lot of fun for fans of every school involved.

MankatoBison
08-06-2018, 08:11 PM
I pitched this idea on AGS a few months back but I'd like to see NDSU and JMU start up a scheduling alliance of sorts with a couple other of the heavy hitters in the FCS.... perhaps Montana and Jacksonville St. My theory is each of those teams play each other on a 3 year rotating basis at neutral sites but the neutral site is the same for both games and rotates yearly between 4 sites that are the primary metro areas for each school. For NDSU it would be Minneapolis, for JMU it would be Washington DC, for Montana it would (probably) be Seattle, and for Jacksonville St it would be Atlanta. Either play both games on the same day or play one game Friday night and other Saturday afternoon (at the same venue).

It would be easy travel for fans of all 4 schools since there are major airports at each site. There would be a massive following for at least the one school that is in their "home metro". It would be a fun atmosphere and tailgate since all the schools have solid followings. It would be even be fun to go to (or maybe just tailgate for) the other game as well that your team isn't playing in.

The biggest difficulties I would see is finding the appropriate venues to partner with. I don't think they'd want to do NFL stadiums but finding a stadium that could accommodate crowds in the 30k range would be necessary I'd think. Then of course they'd have to find dates that work for all 4 of those schools every year and the schools themselves would have to agree to do it. So there's a lot of "ifs" and hypotheticals in all of that but I think it would be a hell of a lot of fun for fans of every school involved.

Fun Idea, I like it. Also, likely impossible logistically, but still like it

CAS4127
08-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Another article. This one is pretty spot-on tho, with some admissions by Coach K—> https://twitter.com/fgosportswriter/status/1029436027038064661

KC Bison
08-14-2018, 11:44 PM
McFooly with another Captain Obvious article. Everybody in the world knew what a disaster our special teams were since January. The point is the Bison knew it better than anyone and they better have been working on this every day since then.

TAILG8R
08-15-2018, 12:17 AM
McFooly with another Captain Obvious article. Everybody in the world knew what a disaster our special teams were since January. The point is the Bison knew it better than anyone and they better have been working on this every day since then.I knew that special teams was terrible last year but I had no idea we ranked so crazy low in almost every single category. Also there are plenty on here that defending our punting and net yardage so I'm not sure everyone in the world knew how bad it was. We also have to remember that general news stories are not written for the diehard know it all fans.

Christopher Moen
08-15-2018, 12:23 AM
I knew that special teams was terrible last year but I had no idea we ranked so crazy low in almost every single category. Also there are plenty on here that defending our punting and net yardage so I'm not sure everyone in the world knew how bad it was. We also have to remember that general news stories are not written for the diehard know it all fans.

Amazing how much is discussed here before someone from TheForum writes about it. We're literally their think tank.

CAS4127
08-15-2018, 02:09 AM
Amazing how much is discussed here before someone from TheForum writes about it. We're literally their think tank.

Nothing new. Media reads Bidonville constantly.

Twincitybizon
08-15-2018, 02:41 AM

You'd think the writers would have the common courtesy to list Bisonville as a source. :)

runtheoption
08-15-2018, 02:47 AM
You'd think the writers would have the common courtesy to list Bisonville as a source. :)
NDSU ranks in FCS for 2017 season:

80th net punting average of 34.79 yards/punt.
114th punt return defense of 12.19 yards/punt.
85th net punt return (we received the punt) of 5.91 yards/punt.
23rd kick-off return (we received the kick) of 22.18 yards/kick.
81st kick-off return defense of 20.95 yards/kick.
1st (tied with 57 other teams) with 0 allowed punt blocks.
28th (tied with around 30 other teams) with 1 blocked punt.
102nd (tied with 16 other teams) with 5 allowed blocked kicks.
55th (tied with 30 other teams) with 2 blocked kicks.
63rd by going 10 for 16 on FGs.

Couldn't find any rankings for PATs.

Do your own research, Mike.

Christopher Moen
08-15-2018, 03:33 AM

My guess is that Kolpack and Izzo lurk around here while McFeely has a troll account.

bisonaudit
08-15-2018, 04:11 AM
We were terrible at this and great on offense and defense but it never crosses anyone’s mind to just stop doing what you’re bad at and instead do more of what you’re great at.

WeAreThePride
08-15-2018, 04:17 AM
My guess is that Kolpack and Izzo lurk around here while McFeely has a troll account.
You caught me.

runtheoption
08-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Jeebus McFeely...looking closer at your article, you even listed those special teams stats in the same order that I listed them in my post on here. At least mix up the order so it isn't so obvious. You owe me a beer for my efforts.

17>1
08-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Gotta think we're going to see some major improvements in special teams this year. Sounds like they are doing a lot of work in this area. I figure with as many upper classmen around that have been through plenty of fall camps, they can afford to focus here a bit more than say on the offense and defense. Roehl is going to make it better. Depth will make it better. Health will make it better. Won't know until game time though how some of these young new guys will do.

Vet70
08-15-2018, 04:26 PM
You caught me.

I had a feeling...:biggrin:

Jeebus McFeely...looking closer at your article, you even listed those special teams stats in the same order that I listed them in my post on here. At least mix up the order so it isn't so obvious. You owe me a beer for my efforts.

Damn you work cheap.

Christopher Moen
08-15-2018, 04:32 PM
You caught me.

https://i.giphy.com/media/EouEzI5bBR8uk/giphy.webp

Mr. Burgundy
08-15-2018, 04:39 PM

Mike will repay you with one Joose. I hope you enjoy it. Shit will get real in a hurry! don't drive! Especially if you are exhausted during tax season and just need a quick bite. Stay home, have some leftovers.

HerdBot
08-15-2018, 06:21 PM

Haha. To truly verify, start posting fake stats. NDSU punt return net average was ranked 790 out of 792 FCS programs.

MankatoBison
08-15-2018, 07:08 PM

Hot take.... McFeeley IS Runtheoption?!?!?!?!

oldmantutters
08-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Hot take.... McFeeley IS Runtheoption?!?!?!?!I thought McFeely was barny.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

THEsocalledfan
08-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Funny part is, wonder if the young ones on here know Hammer got busted one time.

TAILG8R
08-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Funny part is, wonder if the young ones on here know Hammer got busted one time.

LOL Totally forgot about that.

Tony Almeida
08-15-2018, 10:11 PM
I thought Mcfeely was Herdboy or whatever the name is? Didn't he post a video blog of himself walking the tailgate area in Fargo or Frisco a while back? I swear that was him. Or did I miss something?

wagsabison
08-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Let's hear it

THEsocalledfan
08-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Let's hear it

I'm sure someone else knows the exact thread, but if memory serves, he was "Sir Hen" or something like that. (Too lazy to look it up on the member list.) Lakes, back before he became Chapo, somehow figured it out. I never did hear how. Maybe our good moderated friend could remind us the details.

NDSU1980
08-16-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm sure someone else knows the exact thread, but if memory serves, he was "Sir Hen" or something like that. (Too lazy to look it up on the member list.) Lakes, back before he became Chapo, somehow figured it out. I never did hear how. Maybe our good moderated friend could remind us the details.

His name was "Sir Hinn". I can't remember how Lakes outed him, but he disappeared shortly after that.

Honeybooboo
08-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Hammertime!!

THEsocalledfan
08-16-2018, 09:10 PM
His name was "Sir Hinn". I can't remember how Lakes outed him, but he disappeared shortly after that.

Folks should be able to look up his last posts if curious.

wagsabison
08-16-2018, 09:24 PM
Folks should be able to look up his last posts if curious.

That's kinda hilarious.

Christopher Moen
08-16-2018, 09:30 PM

I'm surprised he wasn't doxed sometime during the "heated" conversations the two had in this thread: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?14196-Dan-Hammer

Hammerhead
08-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Hammertime!!

Not to be confused with me. I use hammerhead and hammertime on most internet forums.

WYOBISONMAN
08-17-2018, 12:04 PM
Ahhh Sir Hinn. Bisonville history!

THEsocalledfan
08-17-2018, 01:09 PM
Ahhh Sir Hinn. Bisonville history!

I know it was mentioned in another thread, but the young folks here may not realize that for the Gen Xers like me, this was our first foray into social media. Many of us did really dumb things since we were not used it; kind of exposed us for the true a..holes we really are. Hammers foray as Sir Hinn is a great example of it.

wagsabison
08-17-2018, 01:33 PM
I know it was mentioned in another thread, but the young folks here may not realize that for the Gen Xers like me, this was our first foray into social media. Many of us did really dumb things since we were not used it; kind of exposed us for the true a..holes we really are. Hammers foray as Sir Hinn is a great example of it.

He had a lot of posts too, 800ish.

EndZoneQB
08-17-2018, 02:41 PM
I'm surprised he wasn't doxed sometime during the "heated" conversations the two had in this thread: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?14196-Dan-Hammer

PL pretty much did dox him, no one caught it tho.

ndsubison1
08-17-2018, 09:33 PM

A lot of the stuff the media writes about you don't even learn anything new. Same old coach speak quotes and boring material. "We're preparing well." "We're not going to overlook them." "We're trying to get better." "One game at a time."

ndsubison1
08-17-2018, 09:38 PM

Sir Hinn was one of the producers. Not Hammer. Still posts on here under different name

TAILG8R
08-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Same guy everyone claimed was a UND lover?
Sir Hinn was one of the producers. Not Hammer. Still posts on here under different name

tony
08-18-2018, 08:20 PM
I've always thought it made sense of media guys to check out bisonville occasionally to see what topics posters are interested in.

Don't mind them posting either - they've got the info.

Bison bison
08-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Drain the swamp!

NachZ
08-22-2018, 12:35 PM
http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2018/08/21/safety-hendricks-taking-snaps-at-qb-for-bison-which-might-not-be-a-good-sign/

Bisonator98
08-22-2018, 12:46 PM
He just can't help himself.

Jay
08-22-2018, 12:49 PM
http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2018/08/21/safety-hendricks-taking-snaps-at-qb-for-bison-which-might-not-be-a-good-sign/

And water is wet. The title chances of basically every team diminish when their QB1 gets injured.

Mr Meaty
08-22-2018, 01:08 PM
McFooly write nothing that ever mean anything. The guy is a complete tool and loves he role at it. He stirs the pot on any subject just to get a response from people. His world is drive by clicks to his site/blog for ad revenue. He is not different than the Portly one.

NachZ
08-22-2018, 01:18 PM
He just can't help himself.

Mcfooly's notebook of article ideas;

DW to RB, are the bison uncertain of their RB stable?

New WR coach; with a west coast offense, is he even worth being on the payroll?

Do the bison lack diversity?

BISON24
08-22-2018, 01:32 PM
And water is wet. The title chances of basically every team diminish when their QB1 gets injured.

Are you sure water is wet?

https://youtu.be/PrrdFvXu1-o

Honeybooboo
08-22-2018, 01:50 PM
McFooly write nothing that ever mean anything. The guy is a complete tool and loves he role at it. He stirs the pot on any subject just to get a response from people. His world is drive by clicks to his site/blog for ad revenue. He is not different than the Portly one.

thats his job description, he is paid to get clicks, readers, and listeners and people talking, Same thing any columnist/talk radio lives off of.

THEsocalledfan
08-22-2018, 01:56 PM
thats his job description, he is paid to get clicks, readers, and listeners and people talking, Same thing any columnist/talk radio lives off of.

Yes, that article was garbage, but his recent special teams one was very good. He brings value to Bison coverage BECAUSE he stirs the pot. For example, in Sioux Falls, no one even knows exactly what Stig's punishment is. Would Mike allow that if it happened in Fargo? Absolutely not. When the kids were dismissed last year, never really a mention on state media, but Mike and others did cover it even if they never found out much, officially at least.

BTW, I am the kind of guy who watches the new from the opposite political spectrum as my base views, so that does probably make me strange; I want controversy, openness, and asking hard questions. Not to mention, Mike is pretty entertaining when on the pre and post game shows.

wagsabison
08-22-2018, 02:13 PM
I thought the article was fine. Just something to discuss. Him just taking some reps at the QB position is different than him spending all fall camp at that position. If that was the case then we should be concerned about the backup position.

Bisonator98
08-22-2018, 02:15 PM
I thought the article posed a legit question about why Hendricks is taking reps at QB. I think he may have missed covering another option (that he needs to be playing somewhere if he is going to contribute) Hendricks has proven to be a really good athlete and if something happens at QB like what happened at RB last year....well it's better to have as many options as possible. I think they will do whatever it takes to make sure Trey keeps his red shirt in tact if possible. James taking reps is just one more way to make sure that we can keep our options open.

What I'm concerned about is what will happen if 7 DE get hurt?!?

Like you said just keeping him up on the offense in case something catastrophic happens to the other QB's. We saw what happens when a team gets hit at certain positions and the QB spot is a key one. A couple fluke hits that result in concussions and your down 2-3 QB's in a hurry.

Vet70
08-22-2018, 02:40 PM
Who knows what the real situation is at this point. I think both RS-F will get some playing time out of the first two games. All I know for sure is that I watched the Spring game/practice again last week and my thought was neither one of these two guys are ready for prime time. But thanks McFeely, I always need something else to worry about. :facepalm:

MrSnuffleupagus
08-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Water isn't wet. Water is water, water makes things wet.

Mr. Burgundy
08-22-2018, 02:46 PM
The reason the kid takes reps at QB is if it was 3rd and 4.....and Easton suddenly got up slow and couldn't be in the huddle....the QUICK call would go to Jimmy. He wouldn't be the QB if Easton really got hurt and missed a few games. That would go to one of the young kids. He is more of the emergency QB type ready in an instant, coaches trust the decision making and his speed. Probably a very small package of plays to get us out of a pinch.

MrSnuffleupagus
08-22-2018, 02:51 PM
The reason the kid takes reps at QB is if it was 3rd and 4.....and Easton suddenly got up slow and couldn't be in the huddle....the QUICK call would go to Jimmy. He wouldn't be the QB if Easton really got hurt and missed a few games. That would go to one of the young kids. He is more of the emergency QB type ready in an instant, coaches trust the decision making and his speed. Probably a very small package of plays to get us out of a pinch.

I agree 100%. If Easton goes out for an extended period of time, the young QB is up. Build it up for the future.

wagsabison
08-22-2018, 02:52 PM
Easton kind of changed what our expectation of a RS freshman qb should be too... he was a pretty good one.

BisManBison
08-22-2018, 02:54 PM
Easton kind of changed what our expectation of a RS freshman qb should be too... he was a pretty good one.

Right, after all, the 2015 season was lost as soon as Carson went down!!

Bisonator98
08-22-2018, 02:59 PM

He also wasn't asked to do too much those first few games. I'd think we'd handle a similar situation this year the same way. If Easton got hurt we'd rely on the run game even more then we do and let the next guy up gain confidence with short quick one read passes or play action and QB runs. We'll be fine, I think the younger guys would step up.

bisonaudit
08-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Water isn't wet. Water is water, water makes things wet.

I’m questioning my whole world view, now.

Is the sky blue? Is Satan Claus out there?

Granted a world view based on the musings of a sock puppet wielding cop in a middling action film could stand to be questioned.

Bison bison
08-22-2018, 04:34 PM

Granted a world view based on the musings of a sock puppet wielding cop in a middling action film could stand to be questioned.

Holy sh#t, buddy.

Rock
08-22-2018, 05:08 PM

His greatest trick is convincing you he isn’t.

Bison03
08-22-2018, 05:54 PM

Agree. Its the reason he pumps up JMU, SDSU, and UNI. Piss off enough people to get clicks to his articles.

NDSU92
08-22-2018, 05:58 PM
Agree. Its the reason he pumps up JMU, SDSU, and UNI. Piss off enough people to get clicks to his articles.

Don’t forget that time he trolled NDSU fans by announcing that UND “was back”.

KTF
08-22-2018, 05:59 PM
I read the article, definitely felt like a grab at straws for an article or post. As I was reading it, I was thinking "if I were the coaches, why wouldn't I have him practice? He has impressed in his ability to quickly adjust to whatever position we put him in. If he can help us win one game by his QB skills great!!"

JMB
08-22-2018, 06:05 PM
Bisonville - "That article in the Forum today was trash! Screw McFeely! Burn down the Forum!"

Every other FCS school - "I wish someone would write about us, something, anything, please?"

Vet70
08-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Is Satan Claus out there?

Yes, Virg...I mean Audit, there is a Santa Claus.

NorthernBison
08-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Holy sh#t, buddy.

You didn’t see the movie?

Bison03
08-22-2018, 08:43 PM
When the biggest question for your football program is wondering who your backup quarterback is, things are going pretty well.

Mr Meaty
08-24-2018, 01:59 PM
McFooly with a short article on Coach Stiggy at SDSU and his DUI. I guess he does read Bisonville for story ideas. But atleast he reported it unlike SD newspapers.

1st&TennBison
08-26-2018, 04:27 PM
I am still laughing at the thought that anyone calls SHSU an elite team. Sure, they have a nice record, but always (so it seems) get blown out or dominated in their losses in the playoffs.

NDSU1980
08-26-2018, 05:47 PM
I am still laughing at the thought that anyone calls SHSU an elite team. Sure, they have a nice record, but always (so it seems) get blown out or dominated in their losses in the playoffs.

Big Sky Champions several years in a row

THEsocalledfan
08-26-2018, 06:31 PM
McFooly with a short article on Coach Stiggy at SDSU and his DUI. I guess he does read Bisonville for story ideas. But atleast he reported it unlike SD newspapers.

Man, he hit that one out of the park. I knew he had done something as KWSN finally started pressing more on it last week. Argus only have beat guys who don't want to burn bridges, so they are largely ignoring it.

https://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2018/08/23/sdsu-sends-strong-and-very-wrong-message-with-stiegelmeier-penalty/

Vet70
08-26-2018, 06:54 PM
Man, he hit that one out of the park. I knew he had done something as KWSN finally started pressing more on it last week. Argus only have beat guys who don't want to burn bridges, so they are largely ignoring it.

https://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2018/08/23/sdsu-sends-strong-and-very-wrong-message-with-stiegelmeier-penalty/

Stig's "community service work" probably consisted of continuing to coach and mentor a football team. Let's see what happens if one of the players gets a DUI.

StL Bison Fan
08-27-2018, 01:08 AM

So, how do you discipline a player in this situation? Do as I say, not as I do isn’t going to work for long
We knew he was not what he pretended to be.

Vet70
08-27-2018, 01:15 AM
So, how do you discipline a player in this situation? Do as I say, not as I do isn’t going to work for long

Use the Spack manual of discipline.

EndZoneQB
08-27-2018, 07:00 PM

This is where you lose the team. Coach got a DUI when I played...about two days before that he was telling us not to drink and party. Tuned his ass out pretty quickly and he was done at the end of the year.

aces1180
08-28-2018, 07:52 PM
http://www.inforum.com/news/4491625-mcfeely-bison-receiving-corps-lacks-depth-experience

New one today...I'm certain always finding the negatives in life must be exhausting.

His wife must be a saint to put up with him.

Vet70
08-28-2018, 09:02 PM
http://www.inforum.com/news/4491625-mcfeely-bison-receiving-corps-lacks-depth-experience

New one today...I'm certain always finding the negatives in life must be exhausting.

He has been reading BV again.

56BISON73
08-28-2018, 11:48 PM
He has been reading BV again.

A lot of that came from the Klieman presser also.

JMB
08-29-2018, 12:58 AM

If you were casually following the Bison, that article would be informative..

HerdThat!
08-29-2018, 02:05 PM

Maybe he thinks he writes for The Onion

aces1180
08-29-2018, 06:56 PM
If you were casually following the Bison, that article would be informative..

Right, but I have yet to read something he wrote about our awesome DL, OL or RBs...It's always the negative take with him.

Farmer63
08-29-2018, 07:40 PM
Right, but I have yet to read something he wrote about our awesome DL, OL or RBs...It's always the negative take with him.

Spot on. Negative after negative. "Bison receiving corp lacks depth, experience".... "Safety Hendricks taking snaps at QB, which might not be a good sign"... "If Bison have a weakness, it's special teams"... "How many FCS teams, really, could win the national championship?" I might actually give a damn what he had to say if I didn't know he was just putting it out there as click bait. Teddy Roosevelt's quote was written to describe guys like McFeely,

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

bisonaudit
08-30-2018, 12:36 AM
They need post game stories as well. And stuff for the next 5 months. If this team dominates the standard you're going to hear plenty about the 11 deep defensive line rotation.

Considering this is basically a media criticism thread, the Roosevelt quote is a bit much.

The content of the columns has been reasonable and measured and I’ve got no issue with the subjects he’s selected. Too much clutch talk but other than that...

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-30-2018, 03:26 AM

Well, to be fair, our receivers have never really been world beaters. We've had some with really good hands, but we rarely, if ever, have had that really tall, athletic, blazing speed guy that can go up for a jump ball, always come down with it, and then run away from the pack for a TD. I don't know why we can never land these type of receivers. Probably has a lot to do with the fact we are a run first team. Just think how great Wentz's numbers would have been if he had a receiver that could actually run under the deep balls he could through. It would have been deep bomb TD on every series.

To be honest, I think this article could be written every season. We always seem to lack depth and really good talent at receiver, but it hasn't been too much of a problem in the past and I don't expect it to be much of a problem this season as well. We just need a few guys with good hands who can run a ten and curl. Enough to move the chains. It seems every season, this is all the coaching staff is looking for.

MontBison
08-30-2018, 04:34 AM

The old flyingdoucheman

Mr Meaty
08-30-2018, 05:36 PM
OK McFooly is officially trolling for story ideas on Bisonville. Today article is par for the course and something that has been talked on here for a couple of days sparked by B Mac original story.

Bisonator98
08-30-2018, 05:50 PM
OK McFooly is officially trolling for story ideas on Bisonville. Today article is par for the course and something that has been talked on here for a couple of days sparked by B Mac original story.

He's literally scrounging around for things to write about, the guy is such a tool. And no a tool is not a journalist. :facepalm:

Hey McFooly, if you're reading this why didn't the heraldo use a photo illustration in Tommy boys article about MVSU rather then a pic of the Bison? Yeah I thought it was a great troll job too, keep up the great work at the foolum!:rofl:

56BISON73
08-30-2018, 08:19 PM
He's literally scrounging around for things to write about, the guy is such a tool. And no a tool is not a journalist. :facepalm:

Hey McFooly, if you're reading this why didn't the heraldo use a photo illustration in Tommy boys article about MVSU rather then a pic of the Bison? Yeah I thought it was a great troll job too, keep up the great work at the foolum!:rofl:

Sure pissed off the Flying dodos didnt it.

17>1
08-30-2018, 08:35 PM

It's literally as if he's writing that article for about 10 people on Bisonville. Does the average sports fan in the Foolum reading area even care about the two teams that played in that game?

Honeybooboo
08-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Spot on. Negative after negative. "Bison receiving corp lacks depth, experience".... "Safety Hendricks taking snaps at QB, which might not be a good sign"... "If Bison have a weakness, it's special teams"

These are all legitimate things i am worried about, i guess, but im also ok being a critic of the teams weekness

17>1
08-30-2018, 08:51 PM
These are all legitimate things i am worried about, i guess, but im also ok being a critic of the teams weekness

It certainly gives us something to talk about that's for sure.

Christopher Moen
08-30-2018, 09:18 PM
It's literally as if he's writing that article for about 10 people on Bisonville. Does the average sports fan in the Foolum reading area even care about the two teams that played in that game?

I think he misunderstood what many of where complaining about. We weren't worried about the quality of the two teams playing but rather how bad their play made the FCS looked on a National platform. The two years NDSU played in the game, they didn't play their best either, but still looked like a competent team. NC AT&T didn't play that bad, but JSU looked like a team just beginning Fall Camp.

oldmantutters
08-30-2018, 09:26 PM
I think he misunderstood what many of where complaining about. We weren't worried about the quality of the two teams playing but rather how bad their play made the FCS looked on a National platform. The two years NDSU played in the game, they didn't play their best either, but still looked like a competent team. NC AT&T didn't play that bad, but JSU looked like a team just beginning Fall Camp JSU.

fixed yer post

Farmer63
08-31-2018, 01:46 PM

I don't have a problem with discussing weakness either... and I'd have some respect for McFeely if I thought he was actually writing the article with something in mind other than a sensational headline to get people to click on it. And if he mixed it in with a dose of reality to offset his gloom and dome. Examples. Whole article on receivers didn't even mention our tight ends and running back groups in the passing scheme. To me that more than offsets our lack of depth and experience at WR. In his article on Hendricks taking snaps at QB.. did he even mention that our depth at safety and how good Wimbush is looking is what allows Hendricks to take the time to keep taking some reps at QB? No, focused on "lack of confidence" in Hotchkiss and Sanders. In his article on special teams... quoted every category where the Bison rank 80th, 85th, 102nd, but do you think that's maybe because we play in the toughest conference in the FCS? Like I said, I'd have more respect for McFeely if I saw a little more balance to his articles. An overall discussion of the strengths and weaknesses... not just peddling the negatives. His points are valid, but I just don't like the guy's style.

Bisonfanatical
08-31-2018, 02:07 PM
^^^^^^^^^^this

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17>1
08-31-2018, 02:18 PM
I don't have a problem with discussing weakness either... and I'd have some respect for McFeely if I thought he was actually writing the article with something in mind other than a sensational headline to get people to click on it. And if he mixed it in with a dose of reality to offset his gloom and dome. Examples. Whole article on receivers didn't even mention our tight ends and running back groups in the passing scheme. To me that more than offsets our lack of depth and experience at WR. In his article on Hendricks taking snaps at QB.. did he even mention that our depth at safety and how good Wimbush is looking is what allows Hendricks to take the time to keep taking some reps at QB? No, focused on "lack of confidence" in Hotchkiss and Sanders. In his article on special teams... quoted every category where the Bison rank 80th, 85th, 102nd, but do you think that's maybe because we play in the toughest conference in the FCS? Like I said, I'd have more respect for McFeely if I saw a little more balance to his articles. An overall discussion of the strengths and weaknesses... not just peddling the negatives. His points are valid, but I just don't like the guy's style.

On the discussion about receiver depth. I thought Demitri had a very good game against USD last year, made some big time catches. Does anyone else think that maybe his switch to RB is more an indication that depth at that position is not as bad as McFooly may think? For a guy that played there for a few years and did an okay job from my eyes, this move kind of surprised me....and I think it has more to do with depth and playing time for Demitri than it does him not being a good WR.

Trumpster
08-31-2018, 02:27 PM
On the discussion about receiver depth. I thought Demitri had a very good game against USD last year, made some big time catches. Does anyone else think that maybe his switch to RB is more an indication that depth at that position is not as bad as McFooly may think? For a guy that played there for a few years and did an okay job from my eyes, this move kind of surprised me....and I think it has more to do with depth and playing time for Demitri than it does him not being a good WR.

I think Demitri wanted to play RB

Bison 4 Life
11-23-2018, 10:29 PM
McFooly is picking SDSU to win it all because why not?

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/923411-McFeely-Jackrabbits-have-to-break-through-at-some-point-right

Vet70
11-23-2018, 10:48 PM

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/923411-McFeely-Jackrabbits-have-to-break-through-at-some-point-right

He could very well be right.

NDSU1980
11-23-2018, 11:43 PM
McFooly will pick anyone not named NDSU if he can. To him the top football team should be Moorhead State or whatever name they go by this week. Article is nothing but clickbait and a chance to poke the Bison fans. The guy is an idiot.

NDSUstudent
11-23-2018, 11:52 PM

They will probably lose to Towson now that he wrote that article.

unbison
11-24-2018, 12:15 AM
McFooly will pick anyone not named NDSU if he can. To him the top football team should be Moorhead State or whatever name they go by this week. Article is nothing but clickbait and a chance to poke the Bison fans. The guy is an idiot.
I find it quite remarkable that you have noticed.... I’d say it’s hugely surprising you even read him

Honeybooboo
11-24-2018, 12:37 AM

Why do Bison fans get so upset about a columnist that is paid to get readers talking and bring up controversial topics??

If you don't like him don't read it, I personally like Mike and his bi partisan takes on sports teams, the rah rah go bison all the time is what makes our fanbase look like asshats to outsiders. And one reason I only listen to Jeff and Jeremy a couple times a week anymore...but that's just me and I'm sure it's the unpopular opinion here but whatever

JMB
11-24-2018, 12:42 AM
Why do Bison fans get so upset about a columnist that is paid to get readers talking and bring up controversial topics??

If you don't like him don't read it, I personally like Mike and his bi partisan takes on sports teams, the rah rah go bison all the time is what makes our fanbase look like asshats to outsiders. And one reason I only listen to Jeff and Jeremy a couple times a week anymore...but that's just me and I'm sure it's the unpopular opinion here but whatever

Judging by his response, I would say that he didn't read it.

NDSU1980
11-24-2018, 12:45 AM
Judging by his response, I would say that he didn't read it.

I didn't.

10 char.

Bison"FANatic"
11-24-2018, 12:47 AM
Sdsu's o line impressed me. They could give us fits if we see them

JMB
11-24-2018, 01:17 AM
I didn't.

10 char.

He starts out saying, NDSU has no weaknesses, (well maybe ki koff coverage), then says this...

I
The assignment, as it came to me in a deep turkey coma, was to write a column building the case NDSU will not win the national championship. To throw a wrench in the machine. To be the wet blanket. To be the contrarian.

So I take it as, "Here is the team most likely to trip up NDSU".

Scooter1
11-24-2018, 01:53 AM
I thought the article was well written. It clearly stated that he was going to make a case for someone who has the best chance to buck the odds and win in Fargo. Good job breaking down the field.

Honeybooboo
11-24-2018, 02:02 AM
I didn't.

10 char.

dude seriously???

MAKBison
11-24-2018, 03:20 AM
Omg....why in the world would any Bison get tweaked over that

Bison 4 Life
11-24-2018, 07:23 AM

I didn't. I simply stated what he said. His reasoning is "Why not?" which is perfectly on brand for him.

StL Bison Fan
11-24-2018, 08:29 AM
He forgot to mention that stig is on the joose because of the bison, not taxes

Hammerhead
11-24-2018, 02:09 PM
SDSU is the second best team in the country, IMHO.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-24-2018, 02:57 PM
He could very well be right.

I agree. It wouldn't surprise me.

I still think JMU poses a danger to us as well. I think if JMU plays to their full potential, they have what it take to win it all.

One could make the case that, with the exception of the first quarter vs. SDSU, we haven't faced a whole lot of adversity this season. I'm not sure if that is good, bad, or indifferent.

bajadanny
11-24-2018, 03:02 PM
I agree. It wouldn't surprise me.

I still think JMU poses a danger to us as well. I think if JMU plays to their full potential, they have what it take to win it all.

One could make the case that, with the exception of the first quarter vs. SDSU, we haven't faced a whole lot of adversity this season. I'm not sure if that is good, bad, or indifferent.

Bizun roll through Fargo all the way to Frisco and the title, these guys are focused, enjoy some great play off football

CalBison97
11-24-2018, 03:32 PM
I thought the article was well written. It clearly stated that he was going to make a case for someone who has the best chance to buck the odds and win in Fargo. Good job breaking down the field.

But then at the end of the article, he picked SDSU over NDSU. So, if MM is a betting man...

Likely a good thing since he is Fargo's Emory Hunt/Jay Walker.

SDbison
11-24-2018, 03:45 PM
I thought the article was well written. It clearly stated that he was going to make a case for someone who has the best chance to buck the odds and win in Fargo. Good job breaking down the field. As good as McFooly can write which doesn't say much. McFooly is and douchebag and always will be. It was clearly a dig and wishful thinking on his part that the Bison lose so he can write more crappy articles to criticize the Bison and Bison Nation. Hey Mike, go find a crap filled toilet, stick your head in and flush.

AKBison
11-24-2018, 03:53 PM
As good as McFooly can write which doesn't say much. McFooly is and douchebag and always will be. It was clearly a dig and wishful thinking on his part that the Bison lose so he can write more crappy articles to criticize the Bison and Bison Nation. Hey Mike, go find a crap filled toilet, stick your head in and flush.

The guy is a Liberal nut job that loves to troll the waters in Nodak. With that said, it was a well written and thought out article. Much like a lot of other Natty's in the last 8 years, (GaSo 1&2, SDSU, JMU) this years champion will be determined at the Fargodome with SDSU being the most likely to win here. I never read his articles but made an exception today because of all the crying and bitching here about it. IMHO, good work Mcfeely, I am going to go shower now though...

Bison 4 Life
11-24-2018, 03:59 PM
The guy is a Liberal nut job that loves to troll the waters in Nodak. With that said, it was a well written and thought out article. Much like a lot of other Natty's in the last 8 years, (GaSo 1&2, SDSU, JMU) this years champion will be determined at the Fargodome with SDSU being the most likely to win here. I never read his articles but made an exception today because of all the crying and bitching here about it. IMHO, good work Mcfeely, I am going to go shower now though...

He's had a weird career. He once decried me and my radio partner for our part in poking a little fun at Bob Entzion's misfortune in Omaha. Called us "knuckle dragging neanderthals".

MAKBison
11-24-2018, 04:44 PM
As good as McFooly can write which doesn't say much. McFooly is and douchebag and always will be. It was clearly a dig and wishful thinking on his part that the Bison lose so he can write more crappy articles to criticize the Bison and Bison Nation. Hey Mike, go find a crap filled toilet, stick your head in and flush.

That is not what the article says or does at all. It clearly says ndsu is the clear favorite and then goes on to say, but for the sake of trying, he will try and make a case for other teams. The key is in the title where he uses a ?, then at the end asks the reader if he made a reasonable case.

For the most part, MMF is pretty level-headed when it comes to SU football. His politics.....well that's a different story. Also, he can be quick to champion a subject/cause and will stay with it a bit too long. Most times even when its clear to everyone else he was wrong. He seems like a decent odd guy like most everyone else with an opinion.

Bisonator98
11-24-2018, 04:58 PM
The assignment, as it came to me in a deep turkey coma, was to write a column building the case NDSU will not win the national championship. To throw a wrench in the machine. To be the wet blanket. To be the contrarian.

That's basically every article he writes. Guy is nothing but a troll. He should be a fiction novelist.

MAKBison
11-24-2018, 05:10 PM
That's basically every article he writes. Guy is nothing but a troll. He should be a fiction novelist.

Right, he is saying because the bison are the clear favorites and everyone is writing about that, he will try and make a case for others. He even hints that he does not believe its likely. Sure we can argue motives all day, but as written the article is not dissing on NDSU

56BISON73
11-24-2018, 06:35 PM

Considering that he PREFACED his article with the fact that the Bison will probably win the natty and he was going to play THE POLLYANNA by try to figure out the scenarios where NDSU wouldnt win.

WTF???? are people upset about?

Honeybooboo
11-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Considering that he PREFACED his article with the fact that the Bison will probably win the natty and he was going to play THE POLLYANNA by try to figure out the scenarios where NDSU wouldnt win.

WTF???? are people upset about?

because people seem to be quick judging as pointed out earlier when one poster even stated he didnt read the article but bashed it..lol

TAILG8R
11-24-2018, 06:45 PM
I agree with those that have read the article and realized that he knows NDSU is going to win it all again but just for the sake of argument or simply something new he decided to pick a team that has the best chance of knocking off the Bison. Seems like a decent article to me ...

CalBison97
11-24-2018, 07:08 PM
I agree with those that have read the article and realized that he knows NDSU is going to win it all again but just for the sake of argument or simply something new he decided to pick a team that has the best chance of knocking off the Bison. Seems like a decent article to me ...

He doesn't. He picked the Jacks to win it all over EWU.

Bisonator98
11-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Right, he is saying because the bison are the clear favorites and everyone is writing about that, he will try and make a case for others. He even hints that he does not believe its likely. Sure we can argue motives all day, but as written the article is not dissing on NDSU

It's what he always does anyway. I know he isn't dissing NDSU. He's just always got to go against the grain to generate clicks. His fiction gets old. Maybe try writing more articles about how great UN_ is and how relevant they have become.

TAILG8R
11-24-2018, 07:15 PM
He doesn't. He picked the Jacks to win it all over EWU.

Either you didn't read the article you aren't comprehending what is written.

GreenfieldBison
11-24-2018, 07:23 PM
It just doesn’t matter.

Serious question: are they going to have to reengineer the trophy case to accommodate the seventh?

CalBison97
11-24-2018, 07:24 PM
Either you didn't read the article you aren't comprehending what is written.

Really? Maybe you need to reread or make it to the end. He gives all of his picks through each round including the championship.

TAILG8R
11-24-2018, 07:26 PM
Really? Maybe you need to reread or make it to the end. He gives all of his picks through each round including the championship.

It's the first 2 paragraphs that set the tone for the entire article. I get it some like to hate McFeely or anyone that dare pick against NDSU. This article is essentially if not NDSU then who?

CalBison97
11-24-2018, 07:33 PM
It's the first 2 paragraphs that set the tone for the entire article. I get it some like to hate McFeely or anyone that dare pick against NDSU. This article is essentially if not NDSU then who?

And then makes the case for why SDSU will win it and asks his audience if he made his case. I could care less how he prefaced the article or who he even picks, but he clearly filled out his brackets and has SDSU winning it all. No need to argue.

Vet70
11-24-2018, 07:36 PM
I think we can safely say if McFeely's goal was to stir up controversy it worked on this thread. :D

oldmantutters
11-24-2018, 07:42 PM
There are a lot of morans on Bisonville

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

aces1180
11-24-2018, 09:53 PM
You would think McFeely would want NDSU to make the title game just so he can get five days or so away in TX...

99Bison
11-24-2018, 10:53 PM
Did anyone commenting on this thread up in arms read the preface of the article...?? Apparently not.

TAILG8R
11-24-2018, 11:00 PM
Absolutely they did not and some of them even reread it to clarify their point.
Did anyone commenting on this thread up in arms read the preface of the article...?? Apparently not.

KNOW IT ALL
11-26-2018, 04:43 PM
Send Rob Port after him!!!!

westnodak93bison
11-26-2018, 11:57 PM
Send Rob Port after him!!!!I think he could take him. McFooly is kind of thin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
11-27-2018, 01:45 AM
Port would have to catch him first. I don't see that happening.

I think he could take him. McFooly is kind of thin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
11-27-2018, 01:47 AM
Port would have to catch him first. I don't see that happening.

Make him wear a t-shirt with a dilly bar on the back. He'll catch him.

TransAmBison
11-27-2018, 01:08 PM
Make him wear a t-shirt with a dilly bar on the back. He'll catch him.Yeah, but all McFeely would have to do is throw a cheeseburger into traffic.

bisonp
11-27-2018, 02:02 PM
And you guys complain about Mike...

https://www.inforum.com/entertainment/podcasts/924340-The-McFeely-Mess-Should-the-Gophers-schedule-the-Bison-Patrick-Reusse-thinks-so

Podcast host Mike McFeely is joined by longtime Star Tribune sportswriter Patrick Reusse, who has long advocated the University of Minnesota football team scheduling North Dakota State — if for no other reason than the tickets Bison fans will buy to the game.

Herd
11-27-2018, 04:41 PM
And you guys complain about Mike...

https://www.inforum.com/entertainment/podcasts/924340-The-McFeely-Mess-Should-the-Gophers-schedule-the-Bison-Patrick-Reusse-thinks-so

NDSU has finished ahead of MN in the Sagarin ratings every year since 2011, except 2016 when it was pretty close. Most years NDSU has been top 40 and MN 50-60.

bisonp
11-27-2018, 05:12 PM
NDSU has finished ahead of MN in the Sagarin ratings every year since 2011, except 2016 when it was pretty close. Most years NDSU has been top 40 and MN 50-60.

I know that. Point was Reusse saying Gophers should play "down" to NDSU to fill their stadium. I mean it's true, their last two games only had 15K actual attendance (http://www.startribune.com/actual-attendance-at-gophers-games-plunged-to-15-160/501108921/), but it's still pretty insulting to Gophers fans.

imabison
11-27-2018, 07:35 PM
The IF game...
parts of the IF
NDSU Coach Klieman
KSU Coach Snyder
NDSU Indoor practice facitily.

IF you were saying committing to a $ 1xxxx donation (thinking big) to the new Indoor Practice Facility, and IF KSU Coach Snyder decides to leave, and IF NDSU Coach Klieman
decided to take that position would it effect your decision to commit to the proposed Indoor Practice Facility.

56BISON73
11-27-2018, 09:18 PM
The IF game...
parts of the IF
NDSU Coach Klieman
KSU Coach Snyder
NDSU Indoor practice facitily.

IF you were saying committing to a $ 1xxxx donation (thinking big) to the new Indoor Practice Facility, and IF KSU Coach Snyder decides to leave, and IF NDSU Coach Klieman
decided to take that position would it effect your decision to commit to the proposed Indoor Practice Facility.

Why would it? Its about the needs of the program.

TAILG8R
11-28-2018, 01:22 AM
Totally agree. I don't know why someone would tie their donation for a facility to a coach. But I also get that there are some interesting ideas of loyalty and such too so maybe some would feel fit to not donate if a coach leaves???
Why would it? Its about the needs of the program.

El_Chapo
11-28-2018, 01:59 AM
Mcfooly has zero clue and no he's off the radio. Loser.

Mr Meaty
11-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Totally agree. I don't know why someone would tie their donation for a facility to a coach. But I also get that there are some interesting ideas of loyalty and such too so maybe some would feel fit to not donate if a coach leaves???

Basketball program would get a lot of money donated if two coaches were let go. It works both ways.