PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Tailgate One of the Best in College Football

SDbison
07-25-2018, 02:41 PM
NDSU #4 on this list of top 25 College Football Tailgates. Too bad NDSU and Fargo can't be creative and make this even better by expanding parking for alcohol permitted area. Maybe project game on a screen outside for those who don't have tickets. https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-25-best-college-tailgates-119135428/

El_Chapo
07-25-2018, 02:43 PM
its 2018 .... it is time. Can you imagine what that place would look like with FULL Tailgating on East and South Sides?

im talking 50,000 people. lets GO !

MrSnuffleupagus
07-25-2018, 02:44 PM
What does one need to do to be a self proclaimed "Tailgate Master?"

Tailgating is for sure one thing that the Fargodome/NDSU needs to just embrace and expand upon. I feel like every year its getting less and less. When they stopped allowing the Shot Patrol to do their thing is when tailgating starting to decline IMO.

SDbison
07-25-2018, 02:54 PM

Tailgating is for sure one thing that the Fargodome/NDSU needs to just embrace and expand upon. I feel like every year its getting less and less. When they stopped allowing the Shot Patrol to do their thing is when tailgating starting to decline IMO.
Yeah but all those dome Nazis and Cops need somebody to come down on. I mean, without any fights or rioting they need to do something about all the happiness occurring in the lots. No question, the Fargodome has the most security presence per 1000 fans than any other football venue in America.

Vet70
07-25-2018, 03:34 PM
Yeah but all those dome Nazis and Cops need somebody to come down on. I mean, without any fights or rioting they need to do something about all the happiness occurring in the lots. No question, the Fargodome has the most security presence per 1000 fans than any other football venue in America.

Maybe it is my over-imbibing of the spirits SD, but I have missed out on tailgaters disappearing, beatings, arrests for political dissent, assassinations, mass executions, and people being hauled off to concentration camps. I will have to start paying closer attention. :D

Bison 4 Life
07-25-2018, 03:39 PM
They just had a successful Street Fair with outdoor drinking allowed. That all but eliminates the excuse by the city.

runtheoption
07-25-2018, 03:52 PM
They just had a successful Street Fair with outdoor drinking allowed. That all but eliminates the excuse by the city.

Good point. 3 days (more like 2 1/4 since a big chunk of Thursday was rained out) from 10am - 9pm on Thursday & Friday, and 10am - 5pm on Saturday. No issues.

http://www.inforum.com/news/crime-and-courts/4476363-local-law-enforcement-deems-first-street-fair-booze-success

SDbison
07-25-2018, 04:20 PM
Good point. 3 days (more like 2 1/4 since a big chunk of Thursday was rained out) from 10am - 9pm on Thursday & Friday, and 10am - 5pm on Saturday. No issues.

http://www.inforum.com/news/crime-and-courts/4476363-local-law-enforcement-deems-first-street-fair-booze-success
Yep can't get away from the claim that Fargo is one of the drunkest cities in America, and those NDSU football fans are the worst offenders. Those in power just keep up the chokehold and live in dark ages so any chance of tailgate growth is stifled.

Bison 4 Life
07-25-2018, 04:22 PM
Everybody is content to point fingers at one another. The city, the adminstration, Team Makers and everybody is happy to come to the defense of their favorite one of them.

HerdBot
07-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Its definitely trending in the wrong direction and the high ranking is more of a reputation deal.

Christopher Moen
07-25-2018, 06:33 PM
Wow, another topic that has been beaten to death despite given reason(s) (i.e. it will only take one, just one, bad accident to shut this whole thing down due to injuries, death, and of course, lawsuits) why the tailgating is set-up the way it is.

I don't know how the insurance policy is set-up for tailgating or who exactly pays for it, but I bet it influences the set-up quite a bit.

SDbison
07-25-2018, 06:42 PM
Wow, another topic that has been beaten to death despite given reason(s) (i.e. it will only take one, just one, bad accident to shut this whole thing down due to injuries, death, and of course, lawsuits) why the tailgating is set-up the way it is.

I don't know how the insurance policy is set-up for tailgating or who exactly pays for it, but I bet it influences the set-up quite a bit. Go find a pulpet and a congregation that cares to hear your bullshit Chrissy boy. We all know plenty of schools that have virtually no security and none of the problems you whine about.

Christopher Moen
07-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Go find a pulpet and a congregation that cares to hear your bullshit Chrissy boy. We all know plenty of schools that have virtually no security and none of the problems you whine about.

First, write like a grown man. Second, what are the funding for those schools/cities compared to NDSU/Fargo?

Lastly, study this quote from Bill Parcells and figure out which group you belong to and why you are constantly the bandleader for it on this message board:

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-losers-assemble-in-small-groups-complain-winners-assemble-as-a-team-find-ways-to-win-bill-parcells-85-12-02.jpg

Honeybooboo
07-25-2018, 06:52 PM
this shit gonna be good...........................

HerdBot
07-25-2018, 06:53 PM

I don't know how the insurance policy is set-up for tailgating or who exactly pays for it, but I bet it influences the set-up quite a bit.

Curious why other schools dont seem to have this problem. Not sure why an accident or death on public property would be any different at the dome vs a park, public sidewalk, or public street.

Bison 4 Life
07-25-2018, 06:58 PM

*cough cough* Rib Fest *cough*

Vet70
07-25-2018, 07:02 PM
Since this seems to be the only shit show on the board right now, could someone tell me exactly what the problem is with having the police at tailgating? They don't seem to be a nuisance or cause problems with anyone I tailgate with (and no we aren't drinking milk).

Christopher Moen
07-25-2018, 07:04 PM
Curious why other schools dont seem to have this problem. Not sure why an accident or death on public property would be any different at the dome vs a park, public sidewalk, or public street.

Most other schools/cities have better funding (taxes and higher state populations) and probably less drinking issues per capita. This is a question an insurance actuary could answer much better than I could.

Also, didn't the tailgating just get expanded recently, and if so, why is this being rehashed so soon?

Honeybooboo
07-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Most other schools/cities have better funding (taxes and higher state populations) and probably less drinking issues per capita. This is a question an insurance actuary could answer much better than I could.

Also, didn't the tailgating just get expanded recently, and if so, why is this being rehashed so soon?

Reserved was expanded
GA was shrunk

Madison WI has more Drinking issues as WI is the "Drunkest State" do they have serious problems at Camp Randall on gamedays?

Christopher Moen
07-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Reserved was expanded
GA was shrunk

Madison WI has more Drinking issues as WI is the "Drunkest State" do they have serious problems at Camp Randall on gamedays?

Yes, according to this article: https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2018/06/93509/a-look-at-2017-stadium-ejections-arrests-and-incidents-from-big-ten-fanbases

Also, keep in mind that UW and Madison's funding is much larger than that of NDSU and Fargo's.

Bison 4 Life
07-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Since this seems to be the only shit show on the board right now, could someone tell me exactly what the problem is with having the police at tailgating? They don't seem to be a nuisance or cause problems with anyone I tailgate with (and no we aren't drinking milk).

Nobody cares about the police. At least I don't. It's the overly restrictive hours and activities. They're up your ass to start packing up before game time and can't linger around afterwards.
I've been to plenty of places that let open tailgating happen all day and into the evening. It's a fun atmosphere and nobody dies.

SDbison
07-25-2018, 07:15 PM
Reserved was expanded
GA was shrunk

Madison WI has more Drinking issues as WI is the "Drunkest State" do they have serious problems at Camp Randall on gamedays? Chris doesn't understand math. No tailgate spots were added.

El_Chapo
07-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Open all the lots lets get 50,000 there!!

HerdBot
07-25-2018, 07:23 PM

Considering we've been doing this for over a decade and nobody has died, I think were alright. Seems like tailgating is generally family friendly

Vet70
Nobody cares about the police. At least I don't. It's the overly restrictive hours and activities. They're up your ass to start packing up before game time and can't linger around afterwards.
I've been to plenty of places that let open tailgating happen all day and into the evening. It's a fun atmosphere and nobody dies.

That doesn't seem to be shared by everyone.

Christopher Moen
Chris doesn't understand math. No tailgate spots were added.

I understand math much better than you can comprehend someone asking if tailgating was recently expanded.

Again, are you a loser or a winner?

heckler
07-25-2018, 07:27 PM
I am excited to tailgate again after being gone for the military for an extended time. SD owes me some jagerbombs.

Christopher Moen
07-25-2018, 07:30 PM
Considering we've been doing this for over a decade and nobody has died, I think were alright. Seems like tailgating is generally family friendly

Nobody dying is a great thing. Now, is that stat in existence because of the policies set forth both by those in charge or because our tailgaters are responsible and law-abiding?

56BISON73
07-25-2018, 07:47 PM

I havent really figured that one out. When I am tailgating I hardly ever notice them. If I do I invite them in for food. Same with security.

I guess its just another reason for some to bitch.

56BISON73
07-25-2018, 07:52 PM
Talked to Helena the other day and found out that---

Only 18 spots were not renewed from last year.

They are still trying to get some more ETOH approved tailgate spots.

Team Maker lunches are going back to the old format but will only have 4 this year. There will still be the socials for the away games.

Thats all the info I have so dont ask why this and why that.:biggrin:

HerdBot
07-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Nobody dying is a great thing. Now, is that stat in existence because of the policies set forth both by those in charge or because our tailgaters are responsible and law-abiding?

Law abiding. This is North Dakota. People actually wait for cross walk lights to cross the street

imabison
07-25-2018, 08:33 PM
did anyone catch the news reports that there was an increase Fargo police presence at the street fair this year because alcholhol was being served in special cups and people were to stay out of certain areas. They were going to report the following Monday on the violations.

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 01:18 AM
OK, maybe I was a little too subtle earlier. Someone tell me how I can come to RibFest at 11am and drink for 12 hours on Fargodome property and somehow this is OK?

NorthernBison
07-26-2018, 01:34 AM
When did the lots fill last year? ZERO times. I know I’m counting reserved.

I’m guessing the hours have to do with staffing and clean up. Not only Police but Dome Staff. Some tailgaters are pigs and need to be moved out.

I would support staying later. Maybe another hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison03
07-26-2018, 02:16 AM
Tailgating is great, not sure what people are complaining about. Would it be better if it were longer? Sure. But 5 hours is pretty good. As far as security and police presence, I never see a problem. If you aren’t doing anything wrong, they wont bother you. Tailgating at NDSU is huge compared to most every other FCS and a lot of FBS schools. Go to Grand Forks or Brookings and see what its like there and then you will appreciate what we have here.

HerdBot
07-26-2018, 03:11 AM
Tailgating is great, not sure what people are complaining about. Would it be better if it were longer? Sure. But 5 hours is pretty good. As far as security and police presence, I never see a problem. If you aren’t doing anything wrong, they wont bother you. Tailgating at NDSU is huge compared to most every other FCS and a lot of FBS schools. Go to Grand Forks or Brookings and see what its like there and then you will appreciate what we have here.

I dont think people are complaining about tailgating. Once in a while you find an overzealous police officer telling people to quit tailgating and turn their music off, but nothing major. People are complaining about not enough spaces early in the year when the weather is nice. It would be nice to have a small overflow section for those 3 or 4 games that are packed

Christopher Moen
07-26-2018, 03:22 AM
OK, maybe I was a little too subtle earlier. Someone tell me how I can come to RibFest at 11am and drink for 12 hours on Fargodome property and somehow this is OK?

You would have to ask those in charge why there are different policies between the two separate type of events. For example, is the insurance and responsibility risks shared among the vendors or just one party?

There are a lot of different other factors to be taken in when making these decisions. I'm pretty sure it can be assumed by us fans that the university and/or city can make decent money off of tailgating, but when the cost/risk analyst study is done, perhaps the assumption is proven wrong. My guess, those in charge make their decisions wisely, despite our wishes. As I said earlier, it just takes one incident to mess everything up. Even if something hasn't happened in the past, that doesn't mean it isn't possible to happen in the future.

CAS4127
07-26-2018, 03:44 AM
You would have to ask those in charge why there are different policies between the two separate type of events. For example, is the insurance and responsibility risks shared among the vendors or just one party?

There are a lot of different other factors to be taken in when making these decisions. I'm pretty sure it can be assumed by us fans that the university and/or city can make decent money off of tailgating, but when the cost/risk analyst study is done, perhaps the assumption is proven wrong. My guess, those in charge make their decisions wisely, despite our wishes. As I said earlier, it just takes one incident to mess everything up. Even if something hasn't happened in the past, that doesn't mean it isn't possible to happen in the future.

You’re failing to consider historical risk analysis. If no claims for years, the risk factor decreases significantly and, accordingly, the premium, and that’s assuming insurance is even a factor in the overall formula. Not convinced at all that it is. Claims against political subdivisions in Nodak (which NDSU/Fargo fall into) are limited by statute to $250K/person & 1million per occurrence for multiple injured persons per occurrence , so there’s that too. See what I mean?

56BISON73
07-26-2018, 03:45 AM

How many college students are at ribfest?

HerdBot
07-26-2018, 03:50 AM

All I know is we have virtually no issues. The liability is being way overblown in my non professional opinion.

If 2 people get in a fight and one dies, it has nothing to do with NDSU or the Fargodome. It would be a criminal charge just like if it happened at a house, bar, or park. The families victim could sue the other persons family. I suppose they could sue the dome or ndsu for another persons action but they would never win anyways. If someone gets injured in a fight and nobody dies but there are injuries, it's a criminal charge and a private civil suit. If someone crashes their car into someone, it's no different than if it happens on a public street or private parking lot. That's what car insurance is for. (My pickup got destroyed by hail as did half the dome 2 years ago)

Now if someone trips and falls they could sue the city, but they could do that the other 365 days per year at the dome or anywhere in town including my sidewalk in the winter

I could see the TM liquor license getting in trouble for selling to minors or over serving someone who dies but they run that place like professionals

I am no attorney but am I looking at this totally wrong?

Christopher Moen
07-26-2018, 06:10 AM
You’re failing to consider historical risk analysis. If no claims for years, the risk factor decreases significantly and, accordingly, the premium, and that’s assuming insurance is even a factor in the overall formula. Not convinced at all that it is. Claims against political subdivisions in Nodak (which NDSU/Fargo fall into) are limited by statute to $250K/person & 1million per occurrence for multiple injured persons per occurrence , so there’s that too. See what I mean?

You know law way more than I do. The main point I'm trying to get across is that those who make the decisions must be making their decisions for a reason, especially if it includes sacrificing money flow.

Christopher Moen
07-26-2018, 06:14 AM
All I know is we have virtually no issues. The liability is being way overblown in my non professional opinion.

If 2 people get in a fight and one dies, it has nothing to do with NDSU or the Fargodome. It would be a criminal charge just like if it happened at a house, bar, or park. The families victim could sue the other persons family. I suppose they could sue the dome or ndsu for another persons action but they would never win anyways. If someone gets injured in a fight and nobody dies but there are injuries, it's a criminal charge and a private civil suit. If someone crashes their car into someone, it's no different than if it happens on a public street or private parking lot. That's what car insurance is for. (My pickup got destroyed by hail as did half the dome 2 years ago)

Now if someone trips and falls they could sue the city, but they could do that the other 365 days per year at the dome or anywhere in town including my sidewalk in the winter

I could see the TM liquor license getting in trouble for selling to minors or over serving someone who dies but they run that place like professionals

I am no attorney but am I looking at this totally wrong?

I'm not 100% sure about this based on how many lawsuits the company I work for gets, even if they are in noway involved. For example, a parent at a wrestling high school dual meet falls down the stairs and gets injured. Parent gets a lawyer and they sue everyone, including USA Wrestling even though the event wasn't sanctioned by us and was under the umbrella of their respective high school league.

bisonaudit
07-26-2018, 07:11 AM
Fargo PD just declaired the alcoholic street fair a success. FargoDome RibFest all day drinking no issues. Optimistic interpretation is that maybe they’ll let the reigns out on tailgating somewhat in the not to distant future. Pessimistic interpretation: NDSU is the only interested party that’s actually standing in the way of such a change.

bison_by_blood
07-26-2018, 08:45 AM
To paraphrase the old Frisco mayor, North Dakota has the best drunks I’ve ever seen. I tailgate with many people that have children of all ages there. I’ve never seen anything too inappropriate for kids and it’s certainly not for lack of alcohol. The vast majority of people tailgating are adults, with some college kids sprinkled in and enough children around so as normal folk know not to act like it’s last call at your local watering hole. Usually when one (fanbase) proves trustworthy over time, they are given more liberties...

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 11:58 AM
To paraphrase the old Frisco mayor, North Dakota has the best drunks I’ve ever seen. I tailgate with many people that have children of all ages there. I’ve never seen anything too inappropriate for kids and it’s certainly not for lack of alcohol. The vast majority of people tailgating are adults, with some college kids sprinkled in and enough children around so as normal folk know not to act like it’s last call at your local watering hole. Usually when one (fanbase) proves trustworthy over time, they are given more liberties...

And even there, we can tailgate all day

Vet70
07-26-2018, 12:04 PM

I don' know how the Dome makes money off of Ribfest, but if they get a cut of the sales the difference could very well be
https://i.imgur.com/n9dLZzR.jpg?1

Honeybooboo
07-26-2018, 12:18 PM
I don' know how the Dome makes money off of Ribfest, but if they get a cut of the sales the difference could very well be

You dont know how they make money from ribfest????

Not rocket science man

Vet70
07-26-2018, 01:01 PM
You dont know how they make money from Ribfest????

Not rocket science man

If what I was getting at is confusing let me explain further. Obviously, they make money, what I don't know is the exact contractual arrangements of how they do it. Do they rent spaces for a flat fee or take part of the sales? Or both or something else? The point is while they do not make money off of alcohol sales at tailgating, I am sure somehow they must at Ribfest. I am not clear on the rocket science.

MNLonghorn10
07-26-2018, 02:06 PM
but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 02:16 PM
If what I was getting at is confusing let me explain further. Obviously, they make money, what I don't know is the exact contractual arrangements of how they do it. Do they rent spaces for a flat fee or take part of the sales? Or both or something else? The point is while they do not make money off of alcohol sales at tailgating, I am sure somehow they must at Ribfest. I am not clear on the rocket science.

and what I'm getting at is the notion that there is some inherent danger with letting adults hang out in a parking lot too long on Saturdays in the fall but not downtown during the Street Fair or in that same parking lot during RibFest.

The disconnect is stunning.

Vet70
07-26-2018, 02:17 PM
but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

No, but sometimes that's not a bad idea. :rofl:

Vet70
07-26-2018, 02:33 PM
and what I'm getting at is the notion that there is some inherent danger with letting adults hang out in a parking lot too long on Saturdays in the fall but not downtown during the Street Fair or in that same parking lot during RibFest.

The disconnect is stunning.

What I am suggesting (and obviously not too successfully) is that from one perspective it isn't a disconnect. Maybe the real reason isn't a concern over any inherent danger. There is a financial incentive to allow extended drinking at the Street Fair and Ribfest, but not at tailgating.

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 02:43 PM
What I am suggesting (and obviously not too successfully) is that from one perspective it isn't a disconnect. Maybe the real reason isn't a concern over any inherent danger. There is a financial incentive to allow extended drinking at the Street Fair and Ribfest, but not at tailgating.

Right but that's not the argument anyone in power is making. For NDSU to be compared to any of those other tailgates completely ignores the restrictions that are not apparent to outsiders.

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 02:49 PM
I'm not a crank. I have no vested interest in this with the exception that I come back once or twice a year and would like to hang out with my friends a little longer. It just seems absurd to me.

NorthernBison
07-26-2018, 03:12 PM
I'm not a crank. I have no vested interest in this with the exception that I come back once or twice a year and would like to hang out with my friends a little longer. It just seems absurd to me.

Ultimately, I think it ends up coming down to staff availability. You can’t stand around drinking alcohol anywhere else on campus.

You can do it at “events”. Football game tailgating is an alcohol approved event. That means Dome/NDSU personnel have to be there for the duration of the event. Thus, a specific end time.

They want to go home and the pool of staff isn’t unlimited.

Herd Mentality
07-26-2018, 03:34 PM
I’m guessing the hours have to do with staffing and clean up. Not only Police but Dome Staff. Some tailgaters are pigs and need to be moved out.

That is definitely a big part of it, it has been since the dome opened and the tailgating occurring wasn't "officially sanctioned" like it is now. However, they do seem create some of their own work. The trash receptacles often times seem like there wasn't much thought into where they were placed. I also don't understand why they've started taking our half empty trash bags during the game. People come out after for a beer or two and then there's crap everywhere because there is no where close to throw things away. Then there is the plastic cup rule....don't get me started on that one.

Here's the issue with the security/police presence. Yes, it seems excessive in numbers but I guess they feel they need that many. The biggest issue is consistency. One week they will be completely hard-nosed about the tailgating end time to the point of starting verbal confrontations about nothing....and then the next week it isn't enforced at all.

CAS4127
07-26-2018, 03:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure about this based on how many lawsuits the company I work for gets, even if they are in noway involved. For example, a parent at a wrestling high school dual meet falls down the stairs and gets injured. Parent gets a lawyer and they sue everyone, including USA Wrestling even though the event wasn't sanctioned by us and was under the umbrella of their respective high school league.

Inductive reasoning/anecdotal evidence leads to conjecture.

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Ultimately, I think it ends up coming down to staff availability. You can’t stand around drinking alcohol anywhere else on campus.

You can do it at “events”. Football game tailgating is an alcohol approved event. That means Dome/NDSU personnel have to be there for the duration of the event. Thus, a specific end time.

They want to go home and the pool of staff isn’t unlimited.

I would agree if I didn't actually see this work nearly everywhere else.

You think Southern Illinois has an unlimited pool of staff?

MrSnuffleupagus
07-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Here's the issue with the security/police presence. Yes, it seems excessive in numbers but I guess they feel they need that many.

That's the thing...they don't.

Two police officers, two EMTs, and like 5 'staff' is all they need to run the tailgating. That's probably being conservative as well. How many 'issues' have you ever heard about during tailgating?

Throwing all this staff and money on working hours from police/fire/etc then claiming "see, look how much time, money and staff this takes!" doesn't justify it at all.

MNLonghorn10
07-26-2018, 04:20 PM

You think Southern Illinois has an unlimited pool of staff?I'm quite sure 4 of us could handle a SIU tailgate. Ndsu is a different animal

Hammerhead
07-26-2018, 04:44 PM
Law abiding. This is North Dakota. People actually wait for cross walk lights to cross the street

Where do you live? i see people walk against the light all the time.

TransAmBison
07-26-2018, 04:52 PM
Where do you live? i see people walk against the light all the time.So we were at the street fair last week and we walked across the street when we did not have the light. No cars were coming. The teenage stop sign holder called out to me that I could not walk now. We just kept walking. I suppose this means I am to blame for not getting extra tailgating? On a side note, I did not have a beer out at the street fair.

56BISON73
07-26-2018, 05:09 PM

Why dont you send that query to those who can make a difference???

bisonp
07-26-2018, 05:19 PM
That's the thing...they don't.

Two police officers, two EMTs, and like 5 'staff' is all they need to run the tailgating. That's probably being conservative as well. How many 'issues' have you ever heard about during tailgating?

Throwing all this staff and money on working hours from police/fire/etc then claiming "see, look how much time, money and staff this takes!" doesn't justify it at all.

You don't staff for what happens though. You staff for what could happen. I'd guess there's standard metrics that are used to determine that.

It's all speculation, doesn't appear like anybody here really knows. But leave it to Bisonville to take an awesome national ranking and turn it into a bitching session.

56BISON73
07-26-2018, 05:19 PM

If they handle it like a sport show then they charge 400-1500 bucks a spot depending on the sgft you are using. Then they charge at the door. But Harrys is the sponsor. So are they underwriting the fest and the money goes to them?

Soup Can
07-26-2018, 05:28 PM
The dome owns all the drink stands (except lemonade) at ribfest. They make a tremendous profit of the beer and soda. All the drink stands are ran by volunteers who get donations for their respective groups similar to the concessions during concerts and other dome events. A private promoter "owns" ribfest and the rib vendors are actually given a guarantee by the promoter that they will do a minimum of "X" amount of sales during the event. Obviously, the promoter takes a cut of everything.

MrSnuffleupagus
07-26-2018, 05:48 PM
You don't staff for what happens though. You staff for what could happen. I'd guess there's standard metrics that are used to determine that.

It's all speculation, doesn't appear like anybody here really knows. But leave it to Bisonville to take an awesome national ranking and turn it into a bitching session.

Shirley, this awesome national ranking will result in much more funding to NDSU and athletes.

NorthernBison
07-26-2018, 06:12 PM

You think Southern Illinois has an unlimited pool of staff?

I don’t know what Laws apply everywhere else.

NDSU is dry. Exceptions are made for events.

Staffing requires people willing to work it. You’ve already asked people to work these weekends. They’ve given a full day already. How much longer do you want them on duty and what’s the return?

Keep in mind that the extra revenue generated is exactly ZERO.

I know some will say F’em. If they won’t work extra, get somebody who will. Why would any business do something that fiscally stupid. Remember, there’s no revenue generated. None.

TransAmBison
07-26-2018, 06:32 PM
I don’t know what Laws apply everywhere else.

NDSU is dry. Exceptions are made for events.

Staffing requires people willing to work it. You’ve already asked people to work these weekends. They’ve given a full day already. How much longer do you want them on duty and what’s the return?

Keep in mind that the extra revenue generated is exactly ZERO.

I know some will say F’em. If they won’t work extra, get somebody who will. Why would any business do something that fiscally stupid. Remember, there’s no revenue generated. None.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMaybe stagger the hours a bit for a few...would be super simple.

Christopher Moen
07-26-2018, 07:03 PM
Inductive reasoning/anecdotal evidence leads to conjecture.

Sorry, it's all I have to work with.

Bison 4 Life
07-26-2018, 07:07 PM
My only argument about RibFest, and now the Street Fair, is that they prove that it's not Sodom and Gomorrah when adults are allowed to congregate and drink for more than 5 hrs at a time.

Vet70
07-26-2018, 07:35 PM
My only argument about RibFest, and now the Street Fair, is that they prove that it's not Sodom and Gomorrah when adults are allowed to congregate and drink for more than 5 hrs at a time.

You have obviously never tailgated with Loaf.

Bison03
07-26-2018, 07:35 PM
Its also different in the fact that people are drinking less when paying 6 bucks a beer at Ribfest vs when they bring a case of PBR pounders they paid 20 bucks for to tailgating.

JMB
07-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Here is a link to the original article...

https://www.thisisinsider.com/best-college-tailgate-party-2017-9#47-university-of-minnesota-minneapolis-minnesota-4

Unfortunately they lost their credibility with this line...

47. University of Minnesota — Minneapolis, Minnesota

"The Golden Gophers have a nice stadium that fills up quickly with maroon and gold on game day. The lots around the TCF are packed with fans."

Like the Gophers sell out their stadium....

CAS4127
07-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Apparently JMU fans feel the same way as SDBison re: tailgate Nazi’s—> https://twitter.com/jmubarstool/status/1022810843300462592

Vet70
07-27-2018, 05:39 PM
Apparently JMU fans feel the same way as SDBison re: tailgate Nazi’s—> https://twitter.com/jmubarstool/status/1022810843300462592

Yep, seen that many times in the West Lot.

CyPanth
07-27-2018, 07:01 PM
NDSU #4 on this list of top 25 College Football Tailgates. Too bad NDSU and Fargo can't be creative and make this even better by expanding parking for alcohol permitted area. Maybe project game on a screen outside for those who don't have tickets. https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Ranking-the-25-best-college-tailgates-119135428/

There is no doubt you deserve the #4 position, particularly because of your prowess in tailgating for road games. However, the integrity of this ranking is seriously undermined by listing Eastern Iowa University as #6 and leaving Iowa State off the list.

MNLonghorn10
07-27-2018, 07:57 PM
Iowas tailgate is terrible. I didn't have high expectations since I was told "look for house parties" lining the street.

No. Worse than Kansas' tailgate. It was lawns converted to parking lots and herky riding around on a golf cart.

Bison 4 Life
07-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Iowas tailgate is terrible. I didn't have high expectations since I was told "look for house parties" lining the street.

No. It was lawns converted to parking lots and herky riding around on a golf cart.

The folks in the house parties were really nice to us after the game. I was pretty surprised.

56BISON73
07-27-2018, 08:43 PM

No. Worse than Kansas' tailgate. It was lawns converted to parking lots and herky riding around on a golf cart.

You just gotta know where to go.

MNLonghorn10
07-28-2018, 02:53 AM
You just gotta know where to go.

We tailgated in the donor lots right off of Melrose by the stadium and it was half NDSU fans who were also lost apparently.

Most Iowa St fans have said the same thing about Iowa City. Its a ghost town if its a low profile opponent and awesome if its ISU or a high profile B1G team in town.

56BISON73
07-28-2018, 04:09 AM
We tailgated in the donor lots right off of Melrose by the stadium and it was half NDSU fans who were also lost apparently.

Most Iowa St fans have said the same thing about Iowa City. Its a ghost town if its a low profile opponent and awesome if its ISU or a high profile B1G team in town.

You talked to ISU fans? That was your first mistake. Go one block east of the stadium on Melrose. Go RT on Melrose place and with in a 1/4 a block there is a party a block long and 1/2 a block wide. Ive been to games where the opponent was dog shit but its anything but a ghost town. Book your room to late and you will be staying in Cedar Rapids. Plus there are tons tailgate lots all around the stadiums you dont know about.

Granted the tailgate scene isnt optimal if you are a visitor and are used to having everything right next to the stadium. But there isnt enough time in the day to hit all of the tailgate lots and parties in IC.

EndZoneQB
07-28-2018, 04:24 AM
You talked to ISU fans? That was your first mistake. Go one block east of the stadium on Melrose. Go RT on Melrose place and with in a 1/4 a block there is a party a block long and 1/2 a block wide. Ive been to games where the opponent was dog shit but its anything but a ghost town. Book your room to late and you will be staying in Cedar Rapids. Plus there are tons tailgate lots all around the stadiums you dont know about.

Granted the tailgate scene isnt optimal if you are a visitor and are used to having everything right next to the stadium. But there isnt enough time in the day to hit all of the tailgate lots and parties in IC.

It's not like this was our first rodeo traveling to an away game lol We stayed downtown, came with a roller cooler to take to house parties with us and just didn't find the fans very welcoming. We ended up making our own tailgate spot in the donor lot and invited other fans to hang out with us. It was fun, but I'd definitely take a Saturday in Ames over Iowa City. As for the actual towns, it's Iowa City>>>>>Ames.

MNLonghorn10
07-28-2018, 05:46 AM
It's not like this was our first rodeo traveling to an away game lol We stayed downtown, came with a roller cooler to take to house parties with us and just didn't find the fans very welcoming. We ended up making our own tailgate spot in the donor lot and invited other fans to hang out with us. It was fun, but I'd definitely take a Saturday in Ames over Iowa City. As for the actual towns, it's Iowa City>>>>>Ames.

Yep. we actually walked both ways on Melrose and it was pretty freaking lame. Our cab dropped us off on the east end of melrose and it was nothing but sidwalk vendors.

walked to the west end of Melrose all the way to about Sunset and said fuck it.

Im sure its fine like you make it out to be...but our group of about 7 couldnt find shit to set up camp and the locals were less than willing to talk to a bunch of visitors, which is weird.

The Ames tailgate across the stadium is nuts, and awesome. Been there 3 times and all 3 were better experiences than IC. Stayed DT right by the big bar scene, so got you beat there.:biggrin: that was admittedly a very nice area and better than anywhere in Ames. Just the gameday atmospheres were way different

EC8CH
07-28-2018, 05:54 AM
Ames felt like more of a college town. Just my experience. Plus it has Superdogs which are freaking amazing when drunk.

Man a Superdog would taste amazing right now. ;)

CyPanth
07-28-2018, 10:32 PM

Iowa City College tailgating is decent for a big game like Iowa State, but never is it in the Top 25 tier.

CyPanth
07-28-2018, 10:37 PM
The Bison have spoken! And if there is anything other than football that Bison understand, it is tailgating.

For tailgating, Ames > Iowa City.

P.S. I agree that for an ordinary weekend out, Iowa City is better. I was there last night!

56BISON73
07-29-2018, 05:40 AM
Yep. we actually walked both ways on Melrose and it was pretty freaking lame. Our cab dropped us off on the east end of melrose and it was nothing but sidwalk vendors.

walked to the west end of Melrose all the way to about Sunset and said fuck it.

Im sure its fine like you make it out to be...but our group of about 7 couldnt find shit to set up camp and the locals were less than willing to talk to a bunch of visitors, which is weird.

The Ames tailgate across the stadium is nuts, and awesome. Been there 3 times and all 3 were better experiences than IC. Stayed DT right by the big bar scene, so got you beat there.:biggrin: that was admittedly a very nice area and better than anywhere in Ames. Just the gameday atmospheres were way different

Yep, the downtown bar scene is pretty good in IC. I knew you guys were going to enjoy that.:biggrin:

Problem is you stayed on Melrose. If you would have turned off and went down the side streets there is a lot of action. If you would have ventured past the stadium towards the the Rec Building, IPF and the baseball field you would have found more tailgate lots.

Only difference at Iowa is the lay out, as tailgating is broken up all over the place. Hell you got people tailgating way out in Coralville and they then take the Hawkeye Express(train) to the game. As you experienced the majority of tailgating isnt next to the stadium.

TBone
07-29-2018, 12:23 PM
PL, you are the reason we took the train and it was a great experience. We sat next to a dad and his 13 year old boy who shared his cookies with my kids and was courteously confident that his hawks, hawks is funny, would win easily. My girls who have been to many a game just dont know losing were nice but bewildered about his dense attitude. So game happened and we board train again and wouldnt ya know, there they are. Just smiles from us and kid said panthers dont have a chance

Bison 4 Life
07-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Ames felt like more of a college town. Just my experience. Plus it has Superdogs which are freaking amazing when drunk.

Man a Superdog would taste amazing right now. ;)

I had some street meat from a cart on Welch, I think that I regretted later.

StL Bison Fan
08-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Talked to Helena the other day and found out that---

Only 18 spots were not renewed from last year.

They are still trying to get some more ETOH approved tailgate spots.

Team Maker lunches are going back to the old format but will only have 4 this year. There will still be the socials for the away games.

Thats all the info I have so dont ask why this and why that.:biggrin:

How far back are we going with the lunches?
Motels rotating or Fargo dome with student athletes? Fridays?

56BISON73
08-02-2018, 05:04 AM
How far back are we going with the lunches?
Motels rotating or Fargo dome with student athletes? Fridays?

Motels. ...

StL Bison Fan
08-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Motels. ...

Shucks. I did like it at the dome when the students came and were interviewed.
I’m not sure I like going to motels and I know young people won’t. Not even to the socials.
I was excited about wild wings and hearing the radio show, but ww was so noisy you couldn’t hear the guy next to you much less the show.
I guess there is no good solution and you certainly won’t please everyone.

56BISON73
08-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Shucks. I did like it at the dome when the students came and were interviewed.
I’m not sure I like going to motels and I know young people won’t. Not even to the socials.
I was excited about wild wings and hearing the radio show, but ww was so noisy you couldn’t hear the guy next to you much less the show.
I guess there is no good solution and you certainly won’t please everyone.

The food at the dome wasnt great. People really got tired of cold cut sannys and wraps. WW???? I went to one. Didnt care fore the noise and format.

Attendance really dropped off when they left the hotels. Hotels had better food and atmosphere.

StL Bison Fan
08-02-2018, 07:12 PM
The food at the dome wasnt great. People really got tired of cold cut sannys and wraps. WW???? I went to one. Didnt care fore the noise and format.

Attendance really dropped off when they left the hotels. Hotels had better food and atmosphere.
The lunches are indeed much better at the hotels- if it’s not cold cuts.
The socials should be geared to our younger TM and fans. Since we are usually on the road for away games we missed many of the socials. The one at Pub West was nice.