PDA

View Full Version : Watch ESPN/ ESPN + streaming

T-herd
04-12-2018, 03:07 PM
For those of you that stream their Bison games through WatchESPN app like me. Looks like we are going to have to subscribe to ESPN’s new subscription service: ESPN +?

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2018/4/2/17190026/espn-plus-streaming-service-april-12

As far as live events go, here’s what the service has:

College sports from these conferences: “America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, WAC, and many more.”

IndyBison
04-12-2018, 03:25 PM
I assume this is primarily for those who don't have access to Watch ESPN/ESPN3 through their cable or streaming provider. There is no mention of those going away in this article.

T-herd
04-12-2018, 03:36 PM
I assume this is primarily for those who don't have access to Watch ESPN/ESPN3 through their cable or streaming provider. There is no mention of those going away in this article.

That’s true.... this thread can get deleted.

bisonaudit
04-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Wait. What about cord cutters. Can you subscribe and get the games without having cable or satellite tv?

just trying to understand what this offering is and how it’s different from Watch ESPN/ESPN3.

1998braves64
04-12-2018, 04:39 PM
From what I saw on AGS, that even if your ISP supplies ESPN3 that is going away completely possibly. Someone posted something from one of the schools stating that they would have to pay the $5/month or $50/year fee to watch their games going forward. I haven't tried it out. Today is the last day of ESPN3 or first day of ESPN+ can't remember so some things may be still or may not be working today.

1998braves64
04-12-2018, 04:41 PM
Wait. What about cord cutters. Can you subscribe and get the games without having cable or satellite tv?

just trying to understand what this offering is and how it’s different from Watch ESPN/ESPN3.

Yes anyone can subscribe to it, no longer need to be part of any other service to get it now. Question remains whether numerous ISP that have been providing it as part of their service would still have it. Difference would be $5/ sub would get you everything. ISP sub only got you ESPN3 items. Far as I know ESPN3 no longer exists at all, that was started with WatchESPN deal last year.

Bison bison
04-12-2018, 05:30 PM
The Mouse controls the horizontal and the vertical.

GRAFTONBISON
04-12-2018, 05:43 PM
So since my Midco subscription included WatchESPN, if it is no longer included, my subscription price should go down correct?

bisonp
04-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Was excited because I thought it meant ESPN a-la-carte, but then I read the story...

That list of ESPN+ live content reads like a group of castoffs: programming not valuable enough to appear on one of ESPN’s eight cable networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPNews, ESPN Deportes, Longhorn Network, SEC Network). ESPN’s press release makes no mention of the NFL or NBA at all. There will be no Monday Night Football, and neither of ESPN’s two weekly NBA games will appear on the platform. Plus, no live event that is on one of ESPN’s eight cable networks will be on ESPN+.

F that.

Yote 53
04-12-2018, 06:00 PM
So since my Midco subscription included WatchESPN, if it is no longer included, my subscription price should go down correct?

LOL. Not a chance. I subscribe to the Midco Sports Pack, pay extra for it. Midco just dropped the Big Ten Network from the sports pack this week. You think the price for the sports pack dropped? Heck no.

I exchanged some words with a Midco rep about it. They seem more concerned about adding the Oprah Network than keeping something I pay a PREMIUM for, so F them. There are a lot of new options popping up everyday. Pretty close to cutting the cord and going with Hulu TV and just subscribe to MLB and NHL packages. The only thing holding me back is Hulu needs to add a couple of more stations I want. They do that and it's snip-snip time. Now, if they pull MVFC stuff off of WatchESPN then that is something else I need to consider as I don't really want to buy ESPN+ too, but also need to consider if Midco stops supporting WatchESPN. It's like they just want me to cut the cord.

THEsocalledfan
04-12-2018, 06:39 PM
I'm curious where ESPN goes with this. Right now, they are getting companies like Midco to pay for ESPN3 access on the ISP side, so doubt they'd want to cut off access on that side and lose that revenue from passive, non-users. So, honestly, I see this as a non-factor at least to start.

Yote53, you need to cut the cord. You are going to pay way less if the correct ala cart options. I've gone to the Sling Orange and Blue combined for $40/mo, and dropped my MLB and NHL subscriptions. But, I can teach you to "unlock" the wild, twins etc if you go that route.

Yote 53
04-12-2018, 07:59 PM
I'm curious where ESPN goes with this. Right now, they are getting companies like Midco to pay for ESPN3 access on the ISP side, so doubt they'd want to cut off access on that side and lose that revenue from passive, non-users. So, honestly, I see this as a non-factor at least to start.

Yote53, you need to cut the cord. You are going to pay way less if the correct ala cart options. I've gone to the Sling Orange and Blue combined for $40/mo, and dropped my MLB and NHL subscriptions. But, I can teach you to "unlock" the wild, twins etc if you go that route.

Not looking to do anything that sketchy, I assume you are talking about kodi and accessing streams. I really only need for one service to pick up all the sports packages I consume and some of the stuff my wife wants. Right now Hulu Live is the closest. All they need to do is pick up MLB Network and NHL Network and I'm set for $40/month. That would give me everything I want, all the ESPNs, all the FS1s, NBCSN, CBS Sports, BTN, Fox Sports North, NHL and MLB. I can get USD games through ESPN3 on WatchESPN instead of Midco Sports, though this ESPN+ thing might screw that up. With the savings I would buy the MLB and NHL packages as they are only about $120 for the season, which is worth the money. My kids are pretty much 100% Netflix content as they have about 1 Billion cartoon series for kids.

No more renting HD DVR boxes or any of that other BS either. No more wires at all. Just plug in some Roku sticks and you're set. Two more station adds is all Hulu Live needs.

All of these TV people need to be careful. My oldest, in high school, literally, does not watch any TV. None. I will ask him if he watched such and such game and the response is always the same, "I saw the highlights on my phone." Although he's pretty busy as it is pretty much school, hockey, and homework so he doesn't really have time for TV.

THEsocalledfan
04-12-2018, 09:07 PM
Not looking to do anything that sketchy, I assume you are talking about kodi and accessing streams. I really only need for one service to pick up all the sports packages I consume and some of the stuff my wife wants. Right now Hulu Live is the closest. All they need to do is pick up MLB Network and NHL Network and I'm set for $40/month. That would give me everything I want, all the ESPNs, all the FS1s, NBCSN, CBS Sports, BTN, Fox Sports North, NHL and MLB. I can get USD games through ESPN3 on WatchESPN instead of Midco Sports, though this ESPN+ thing might screw that up. With the savings I would buy the MLB and NHL packages as they are only about $120 for the season, which is worth the money. My kids are pretty much 100% Netflix content as they have about 1 Billion cartoon series for kids.

No more renting HD DVR boxes or any of that other BS either. No more wires at all. Just plug in some Roku sticks and you're set. Two more station adds is all Hulu Live needs.

All of these TV people need to be careful. My oldest, in high school, literally, does not watch any TV. None. I will ask him if he watched such and such game and the response is always the same, "I saw the highlights on my phone." Although he's pretty busy as it is pretty much school, hockey, and homework so he doesn't really have time for TV.

If you have not seen our thread, we have an extensive thread on cord cutting as many of us did it years ago. I really don't get what the cable and classic satellite companies are thinking as every time they raise the price, they encourage exactly what is killing them.

Yote 53
04-12-2018, 09:14 PM
I will check it out, thanks.

BisonTeacher
04-12-2018, 10:32 PM

Oh brother...here we go again. :fight:

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2018, 12:05 AM
Oh brother...here we go again. :fight:

Ha, ha......but you are an anomaly that understands you can negotiate......can't even fight your logic even if I think you'll eventually join the masses!

1998braves64
04-13-2018, 02:08 AM
But, I can teach you to "unlock" the wild, twins etc if you go that route.

Are you still doing the international versions with dns blocking?

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

BisonTeacher
04-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Ha, ha......but you are an anomaly that understands you can negotiate......can't even fight your logic even if I think you'll eventually join the masses!

If it goes ruly ala carte and proves to be cheaper I am interested. But we shall see how things shake out.

Btw...I'm pretty sure 'masses' is not cord cutters yet. The Masses still have cable and satellite.

TransAmBison
04-13-2018, 12:44 PM
If it goes ruly ala carte and proves to be cheaper I am interested. But we shall see how things shake out.

Btw...I'm pretty sure 'masses' is not cord cutters yet. The Masses still have cable and satellite.The masses generally are lazy and stupid too...so there's that. :)

BisonTeacher
04-13-2018, 01:24 PM
The masses generally are lazy and stupid too...so there's that. :)

Not disagreeing with that.

TransAmBison
04-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Not disagreeing with that.Where is the fun in agreeing? YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!!!

Trumpster
04-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Btw...I'm pretty sure 'masses' is not cord cutters yet. The Masses still have cable and satellite.

As a cord "never-er" this is mind boggling to me

BisonTeacher
04-13-2018, 01:32 PM
As a cord "never-er" this is mind boggling to me

It really comes down to your choices for broadband. Where I live we have only one choice for broadband...and its comcast and its not real cheap.

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2018, 02:42 PM
Are you still doing the international versions with dns blocking?

I only did that one year for NFL since that is the only version you can get that should work; but I found I get more than enough games the way it is, I could not justify that cost anymore. Regular domestic MLB and NHL work just fine with DNS blocking.

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2018, 02:45 PM
It really comes down to your choices for broadband. Where I live we have only one choice for broadband...and its comcast and its not real cheap.

What is fascinating to me in broadband is the lack of competition. I have the same issue. costs me $45/mo for lowest Midco speed. My only other option is DSL, and they are offering the same price at lower speeds. Can't figure out Centurylink logic!

ndsubison1
04-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Espn3 worked for me last night. Not sure how much longer.

Hulu always buffered for me so I switched to Direct TV Now. Rarely buffers.

BisonTeacher
04-13-2018, 02:48 PM
What is fascinating to me in broadband is the lack of competition. I have the same issue. costs me $45/mo for lowest Midco speed. My only other option is DSL, and they are offering the same price at lower speeds. Can't figure out Centurylink logic!

right. My point was its just easier for people to bundle which is why they choose cable. We have century link too but DSL is junk...at least in the cities and they are advertising fiber now but its more expensive than the broadband. The competition is all about the infrastructure i think.

Yote 53
04-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Speaking of Midco's different speeds, how much can you run on that lowest speed? Like how many TV's and devices at once without buffering? I currently have Midco 75 and we can run two TV's and multiple devices at once without missing a beat. I don't think we've even come close to hitting the limit where we would get buffering issues.

In a nutshell, how low can I go?

ETA: I did check out the cord cutting thread. It was huge but the last posts were from the fall.

1998braves64
04-13-2018, 03:25 PM
I only did that one year for NFL since that is the only version you can get that should work; but I found I get more than enough games the way it is, I could not justify that cost anymore. Regular domestic MLB and NHL work just fine with DNS blocking.But per your last post you stated don't have a subscription to either?

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2018, 03:44 PM
But per your last post you stated don't have a subscription to either?

Correct, but it should still work on roku, etc. (Note, working on Android is tough due to tracking of phone location.......) I decided it made more sense to go for Sling TV Orange and Blue for $40/mo since the extra $20/mo is about what I was paying for MLB and NHL plus opens up a few more cable channels for me. Bundling like the teach!

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Speaking of Midco's different speeds, how much can you run on that lowest speed? Like how many TV's and devices at once without buffering? I currently have Midco 75 and we can run two TV's and multiple devices at once without missing a beat. I don't think we've even come close to hitting the limit where we would get buffering issues.

In a nutshell, how low can I go?

ETA: I did check out the cord cutting thread. It was huge but the last posts were from the fall.

I have the lowest speed; absolutely no issues in Sioux Falls. We covered the speeds you need in the other thread, plus how to hardwire connections without new wiring. Not much has changed thus no new posts. It is still pretty accurate stuff in there.

EC8CH
04-13-2018, 04:04 PM

I'd guess they have some markets without competition and that price actually sells their service. Otherwise the answer must be, stupid people.

BisonTeacher
04-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Where is the fun in agreeing? YOU'RE WRONG!!!!!!!

You act like I don't hear that all the time.

TransAmBison
04-13-2018, 04:32 PM
You act like I don't hear that all the time.You are married. It is implied that you are wrong. Just call me Cap'n Obvious.

Yote 53
04-13-2018, 04:46 PM
So I didn't know this, Comcast owns a 49% stake in Midco. Comcast is breaking off the BTN everywhere, so no wonder it got dropped in South Dakota. Do you guys in NoDak with Midco still get BTN? I'm pretty sure they still do in Minnesota.

Yote 53
04-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Yeah, but it's also 87 pages long. Not sure I want to wade through all that.

BisonTeacher
04-13-2018, 04:50 PM
You are married. It is implied that you are wrong. Just call me Cap'n Obvious.

I am also a teacher. That's where I was going. But fair enough.

WestDak
04-16-2018, 06:02 PM
So I didn't know this, Comcast owns a 49% stake in Midco. Comcast is breaking off the BTN everywhere, so no wonder it got dropped in South Dakota. Do you guys in NoDak with Midco still get BTN? I'm pretty sure they still do in Minnesota.

No, they dropped it in North Dakota too.

Honeybooboo
04-16-2018, 06:11 PM
No, they dropped it in North Dakota too.

BTN is being dropped by Comcast in all states that do not have a BTN school, so guessing only the below will have it.

MN, IA, OH, MI, IL, NJ, MD, PA, NE, WI

Mr Meaty
04-16-2018, 06:53 PM
BTN is being dropped by Comcast in all states that do not have a BTN school, so guessing only the below will have it.

MN, IA, OH, MI, IL, NJ, MD, PA, NE, WI

I still get it through my daktel service. Maybe it will get canned later but it has not yet.

Yote 53
04-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Comcast is getting hammered for this decision too. Checked Twitter and they are getting crucified by upset customers. Would not surprise me if they reversed their decision. Too late though, people are already leaving.

ndsubison1
04-17-2018, 03:42 AM
Bet they have shitty numbers early but its inevitable that they have to go this route. The main Espn channels will be included down the road. Will be interesting to see all the streaming networks 5-10 years from now.

HerdBot
07-31-2018, 06:42 PM
I was listening to the MVFC conference call and the conference isnt getting a penny from ESPN. At least before it was readily available. Now it has less value.

Christopher Moen
07-31-2018, 06:58 PM
I was listening to the MVFC conference call and the conference isnt getting a penny from ESPN. At least before it was readily available. Now it has less value.

Probably saving money by not paying fee to the rights holder in order to stream every game themselves. Probably would have to have a company Pluto (does the Big Sky games) do it for them.

That's my guess.

I don't think ESPN was making anything by streaming all the games for free on ESPN3 since they couldn't sell advertisement, but with ESPN+, their cash flow should be looking much better now.

Bison 4 Life
07-31-2018, 07:13 PM
I haven't been paying attention and I just discovered I'm going to have to subscribe to this bullshit.

Although I only have to do it Sept through December, it still pisses me off.

Honeybooboo
07-31-2018, 07:26 PM

what has changed with availability? Still better than just ND NBC

EC8CH
07-31-2018, 07:52 PM
I haven't been paying attention and I just discovered I'm going to have to subscribe to this bullshit.

Although I only have to do it Sept through December, it still pisses me off.

So it's confirmed ESPN3 even for people with cable TV subscriptions won't be carrying NDSU football games going forward?

Bison 4 Life
07-31-2018, 08:16 PM
So it's confirmed ESPN3 even for people with cable TV subscriptions won't be carrying NDSU football games going forward?

Not confirmed, just reading the scuttlebutt so far. I'm going to the Cal Poly game so I'll figure it out for the next week if necessary.

EC8CH
07-31-2018, 11:42 PM
Not confirmed, just reading the scuttlebutt so far. I'm going to the Cal Poly game so I'll figure it out for the next week if necessary.

I'm in the same boat as you then.

Christopher Moen
07-31-2018, 11:58 PM

My guess is that Watch ESPN/ESPN3 will become ESPN+. Got to stop the money hemorrhaging in Bristol somehow is this is the right step for them.

BisonTeacher
08-01-2018, 12:42 AM
Is DirecTV still have the games on sports pack?

Christopher Moen
08-01-2018, 12:56 AM
Is DirecTV still have the games on sports pack?

Pulled this from the DirecTV website:

College sports fans, look no further.
No matter the season, tune in to get your college sports fix. ESPN Goal Line channel brings you college football drama from every conference, and ESPN Bases Loaded presents the ultimate NCAA Baseball Championship viewing experience, . If that’s not enough NCAA excitement, ESPN College Extra immerses you in up to eight out-of-market college football and basketball games a week (Chs. 788–798).

So I'm guessing yes.

THEsocalledfan
08-01-2018, 11:08 AM
So, we are speculating, yet no one has even posted what exactly the speculation is; all gabe said was they were not getting anything from ESPN which I though everyone knew already. I have always gotten espn3 through cable internet (midco) and sling TV. Has something changed?

oldmantutters
08-01-2018, 12:03 PM
So, we are speculating, yet no one has even posted what exactly the speculation is; all gabe said was they were not getting anything from ESPN which I though everyone knew already. I have always gotten espn3 through cable internet (midco) and sling TV. Has something changed?Judging by the info here: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/espn-is-moving-games-from-espn3-to-espn/ it looks like it'll be ESPN+.

FTA:

Not all ESPN3 games are moving over to ESPN+. It looks like it’s based on whether the conference signs up for ESPN+. For now we can confirm the following college conferences have agreed to move to ESPN+: America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, and the WAC.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

MrSnuffleupagus
08-01-2018, 12:44 PM
The only plus side to this is if you're in a cable/satellite package only for ESPN channels, you're going to save some money downgrading and just paying for the ESPN+. Which with a lot of cord cutting, might be a win. Especially with canceling the subscription during the down season.

THEsocalledfan
08-01-2018, 12:56 PM
Judging by the info here: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/espn-is-moving-games-from-espn3-to-espn/ it looks like it'll be ESPN+.

FTA:

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Okay, then will I need to sign up for this, or is this ESPN+ included with other ESPN packages like on Sling TV?

MrSnuffleupagus
08-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Okay, then will I need to sign up for this, or is this ESPN+ included with other ESPN packages like on Sling TV?

Everything I have seen said it is a standalone app that isn't integrated into the 'standard' packages. So you'd need to buy it on its own.

THEsocalledfan
08-01-2018, 01:01 PM
Everything I have seen said it is a standalone app that isn't integrated into the 'standard' packages. So you'd need to buy it on its own.

Bastards, but only $5/mo and cheaper than the old NDSU streaming prices. I'm fine with that; just wish the conference got some of the dough.

Yote 53
08-01-2018, 02:08 PM
This is complete B.S. ESPN is pushing their WatchESPN/ESPN3 content towards ESPN+ to get some more revenue. Here's the catch, how many of those conferences that agreed to move to ESPN+ are named Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, or PAC? You don't see the P5 or the better G5 conferences having their games sent to the ESPN pay service. I'm not giving ESPN a dime for this. Home games I am in the building. Road games, I suppose if they aren't on Midco I will turn on the radio or use a "free trial" then cancel.

Honeybooboo
08-01-2018, 03:32 PM
im just glad all of NDSU games are on local TV....but also the small fee for a couple months isnt all that bad and I will probably get it to watch other Valley teams play

Christopher Moen
08-01-2018, 03:57 PM
This is complete B.S. ESPN is pushing their WatchESPN/ESPN3 content towards ESPN+ to get some more revenue. Here's the catch, how many of those conferences that agreed to move to ESPN+ are named Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12, or PAC? You don't see the P5 or the better G5 conferences having their games sent to the ESPN pay service. I'm not giving ESPN a dime for this. Home games I am in the building. Road games, I suppose if they aren't on Midco I will turn on the radio or use a "free trial" then cancel.

I expect all of ESPN’s online content to be on the plus in the future. It’s the right move as they are getting killed financially.

In regards to the P5 conferences, you have to remember they already have broadcasting and streaming rights sold and are in high demand. This is why the Big 10 can have its own network and pay each school around $30 million last year.

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

WestDak
08-06-2018, 05:46 PM
The real question to me is the Playoff coverage. I'm guessing that would stay ESPN3 as that is separate than the conference agreements and the NCAA should want maximum possible viewers for those games.

THEsocalledfan
08-06-2018, 05:54 PM
The real question to me is the Playoff coverage. I'm guessing that would stay ESPN3 as that is separate than the conference agreements and the NCAA should want maximum possible viewers for those games.

I'm fascinated just to see what stays ESPN3 versus this plus.

Christopher Moen
08-06-2018, 08:51 PM
I'm fascinated just to see what stays ESPN3 versus this plus.

ESPN needs money really, really bad. That should give you a good idea where they are going with online content.