PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Verbal: KENNETH CHANNELLE, WR FL

HerdBot
01-30-2018, 05:01 AM
Late night news but a huge commit at WR!
https://t.co/G0BaluV1w3

KENNETH CHANNELLE
WR
5-10 164
Jacksonville, Florida

Offers
Central Michigan
Tennessee Tech
Alcorn State
Elon
Campbell
Mercer
And others

https://247sports.com/Player/Kenneth-Channelle-46039527

Loud and Proud Bison fan
01-30-2018, 12:49 PM
I do not think he is that huge of a get (meaning size at 5'11) but damn looks like he has "Southern Speed." I was impressed with the highlight film. Welcome to the Bison Mr. Channelle!

Professor Chaos
01-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Welcome! This fragrance is called "Bison Victory by Channelle". :rimshot:

Mentioned it in the recruiting thread but I wonder if this means that Talbert is going to start off as a DB since this would be the 4th WR commit of this class with Sproles, Talbert, Mathis, and now Channelle?

tolnabison
01-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Welcome! This fragrance is called "Bison Victory by Channelle". :rimshot:

Mentioned it in the recruiting thread but I wonder if this means that Talbert is going to start off as a DB since this would be the 4th WR commit of this class with Sproles, Talbert, Mathis, and now Channelle?

That is what i would assume. When the signed him he was listed "DB/WR." Could mean they are trying him at DB first, or just alphabetical order. I am guessing he will be a cornerback.

HerdBot
01-30-2018, 03:19 PM
That is what i would assume. When the signed him he was listed "DB/WR." Could mean they are trying him at DB first, or just alphabetical order. I am guessing he will be a cornerback.

Ty Brooks started as a corner and then he rushed for 700 yards, averaged 9.2 ypc, had 7 rushing TDs, and caught a TD pass in only 10 games as a sophomore. And he averaged 29 yards on 3 kick returns and had an 80 yard TD called back

tolnabison
01-30-2018, 03:37 PM
Ty Brooks started as a corner and then he rushed for 700 yards, averaged 9.2 ypc, had 7 rushing TDs, and caught a TD pass in only 10 games as a sophomore. And he averaged 29 yards on 3 kick returns and had an 80 yard TD called back

Yes he did! I am happy for him. Has nothing to do with this conversation. Professor brought up that Talbert could play DB, since we brought in two more WR commits. I said I agree because of what was posted when they signed him.

Mr Meaty
01-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Welcome Kenneth. Glad you are in the herd now.

KNOW IT ALL
01-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Speed starts the process out at WR and if their hands are iffy they get converted to CB. Either way we win! From the looks of this guy he may be big enough to play right away!

X-Factor
01-30-2018, 06:28 PM
Speed starts the process out at WR and if their hands are iffy they get converted to CB. Either way we win! From the looks of this guy he may be big enough to play right away!

I was thinking just the opposite on playing right away

KNOW IT ALL
01-30-2018, 07:30 PM
A pair of fast, dynamic wideouts would move this team up another notch above greatness at the FCS level. There is no way an opponent could defend the run against two special WR's. Stick would be viewed at another level as well.

Mr. Burgundy
01-30-2018, 07:37 PM
This kid can really boogie. Very good hands, solid route runner, not a big kid. Smaller than his listed height. Unlike Mathis who is a giant. This kid is actually very similar to Ty Brooks. I honestly think he is in the 5'9 range. Maybe slightly taller. Not saying that is a negative or a positive, just facts. Explosive athlete. Should be fun to see. We really brought in skill talent this year. Clearly a goal to upgrade.

Bison bison
01-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Nate Agbetola at 5'8" played 10" taller than he was. Channelle can be as big of a deal as he wants to be.

Bison20
01-30-2018, 07:49 PM
This kid can really boogie. Very good hands, solid route runner, not a big kid. Smaller than his listed height. Unlike Mathis who is a giant. This kid is actually very similar to Ty Brooks. I honestly think he is in the 5'9 range. Maybe slightly taller. Not saying that is a negative or a positive, just facts. Explosive athlete. Should be fun to see. We really brought in skill talent this year. Clearly a goal to upgrade.

Any word on how many could possibly switch to defense? I know there is talk with talbert but how about sproles?

Professor Chaos
01-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Sounds like an ideal punt returner type. That's an area it would be nice to see a little improvement in. Seems like there was an awful lot of fair catches being called back there this year on returnable kicks. We saw in the natty how a good (and aggressive) punt returner can change field position.

wagsabison
01-30-2018, 08:18 PM
Sounds like an ideal punt returner type. That's an area it would be nice to see a little improvement in. Seems like there was an awful lot of fair catches being called back there this year on returnable kicks. We saw in the natty how a good (and aggressive) punt returner can change field position.

It seemed like we put little to no effort into returning punts. It was almost like we were just content with taking it where we catch it.

Bisonator98
01-30-2018, 08:19 PM
I remember a kid even smaller then this that came in 2010 and turned out pretty good player. If this kid has half the heart and drive as that one he should be a good one.

bri-dog
01-30-2018, 08:28 PM
It seemed like we put little to no effort into returning punts. It was almost like we were just content with taking it where we catch it.

North Dakota Nice Safe.

Professor Chaos
01-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Part of that IMO was having a couple All-American safeties back there returning the majority of the punts. I'm guessing not only was a risk averse Klieman wanting to avoid muffs he also didn't want a key cog of his defense taking many hits on punt returns. That's why it would be nice to have a depth skill position player like Channelle back there returning punts after his redshirt year. He can focus mainly on that and not all the other stuff that Grimsley and Dempsey had on their plates.

HerdBot
01-31-2018, 03:13 PM

I'm actually cool with our safe conservative punt return coverage and punt return defense. Nothing can lose a game faster than a roughing the punter, a muffed return, or fumble. Plus it's going to prevent injuries. Save then for big moments. I've felt that way since we roughed the punter in the second Georgia Southern game

Bison20
01-31-2018, 03:22 PM
I'm actually cool with our safe conservative punt return coverage and punt return defense. Nothing can lose a game faster than a roughing the punter, a muffed return, or fumble. Plus it's going to prevent injuries. Save then for big moments. I've felt that way since we roughed the punter in the second Georgia Southern game

Not sure how good Brooks is at catching but could you imagine him back there. That would no doubt give us opportunities to have big returns and help with field position. We are plenty deep at rb, maybe him or Wilson could do it. Wilson sure showed he can catch the ball.

HerdBot
01-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Not sure how good Brooks is at catching but could you imagine him back there. That would no doubt give us opportunities to have big returns and help with field position. We are plenty deep at rb, maybe him or Wilson could do it. Wilson sure showed he can catch the ball.

Chanelle looks like he has the quicks to return punts. He reminds me of Brooks. He's quicker than fast

KNOW IT ALL
01-31-2018, 06:19 PM
NOTHING puts a team away and breaks a teams sole quicker than big plays on Special Teams. Mistakes can happen in any phase of the game and do happen, Even though Natl Champions again it would really be fun to see some of this talent dominate special teams. I feel our special teams are below standard in comparison to our O and D. I am not saying they are poor but clearly below standard compared to other phases of the game.

wagsabison
01-31-2018, 06:36 PM
NOTHING puts a team away and breaks a teams sole quicker than big plays on Special Teams. Mistakes can happen in any phase of the game and do happen, Even though Natl Champions again it would really be fun to see some of this talent dominate special teams. I feel our special teams are below standard in comparison to our O and D. I am not saying they are poor but clearly below standard compared to other phases of the game.

I kind of agree with you for once. Outside of the Championship game where we were extremely poor we were definitely below average most of the season. We didn't make a lot of huge mistakes throughout the year but didn't have any big plays either.

HerdBot
01-31-2018, 06:56 PM

I hear what your saying but I think our style of play works. I don't think it has anything to do with talent, we are just conservative. Should we punt better? Absolutely. Should we change things up because it's fun to see? Not at the expense of the style and only if it gives us a better chance to win. I think it would be more fun to see us win our 7th National Championship in 8 years!!

With that being said... Channelle looks like he has the skills to be one heck of a returner!

Bison20
01-31-2018, 06:57 PM
I kind of agree with you for once. Outside of the Championship game where we were extremely poor we were definitely below average most of the season. We didn't make a lot of huge mistakes throughout the year but didn't have any big plays either.

Those are the games where it matters the most. Not many times can you drive 80+ yards against a defense like ndsu or him. You need to trust your return game to make a big play and give you a short field or td. Need to find that playmaker as a returner and think Brooks or one of these fast wr could really change the game with his speed and elusiveness.

natstar1
02-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Part of that IMO was having a couple All-American safeties back there returning the majority of the punts. I'm guessing not only was a risk averse Klieman wanting to avoid muffs he also didn't want a key cog of his defense taking many hits on punt returns. That's why it would be nice to have a depth skill position player like Channelle back there returning punts after his redshirt year. He can focus mainly on that and not all the other stuff that Grimsley and Dempsey had on their plates.
plus if you keep your safeties back there you'll never be fooled by a fake a punt.

we should probably consider punting on 3rd and long.

HerdBot
02-01-2018, 05:31 AM
plus if you keep your safeties back there you'll never be fooled by a fake a punt.

we should probably consider punting on 3rd and long.

6 national championships in 7 years playing this style. We chucked the ball on 3rd and long as SDSU and many were picks. But have you seen on 3rd down offense? Hint it's pretty good

Bison20
02-01-2018, 05:44 AM
6 national championships in 7 years playing this style. We chucked the ball on 3rd and long as SDSU and many were picks. But have you seen on 3rd down offense? Hint it's pretty good

Our special teams were much better a few years ago. Ryan Smith as a returner and lecompte punting. We could actually flip the field

HerdBot
02-01-2018, 02:46 PM
Our special teams were much better a few years ago. Ryan Smith as a returner and lecompte punting. We could actually flip the field

Our punter wasn't nearly as good as LeCompte. I was more referring to our style where we don't go for a ton of blocks and take a lot of fair catches. We haven't needed many big returns because we've had huge leads. It would be nice to have an explosive return game when we're in a close game though

KNOW IT ALL
02-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Our punter could only kick the ball 30-35 yards, I get that and it will change with a new better punter. However, I don't see why a great team has to settle for average special teams. There are two sides to conservative calls on Spec Teams. One of those is play aggressive and when you do make a mistake your defense can bail you out. The other asks you to punt it away, take no chances and let your defense get it back. I would prefer to see the Bison go to a four down offense from mid-field most every time. Play calling on first down considers the fact that your in four-down mode. Not too often would the Bison give the ball up. And once again, the defense is there to back you up. I favor keeping the ball as much as possible and blowing teams out early. Challenge your team to dominate early vs. hang on late.

Professor Chaos
02-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Our punter could only kick the ball 30-35 yards, I get that and it will change with a new better punter. However, I don't see why a great team has to settle for average special teams. There are two sides to conservative calls on Spec Teams. One of those is play aggressive and when you do make a mistake your defense can bail you out. The other asks you to punt it away, take no chances and let your defense get it back. I would prefer to see the Bison go to a four down offense from mid-field most every time. Play calling on first down considers the fact that your in four-down mode. Not too often would the Bison give the ball up. And once again, the defense is there to back you up. I favor keeping the ball as much as possible and blowing teams out early. Challenge your team to dominate early vs. hang on late.
Special teams has kind of been an Achilles heal of the Klieman era in general.

In 2014 I remember they started putting guys like Emanuel and Heagle on kick/punt returns later in the year because they were giving up too many yards and those guys kind of got burnt out it seemed by the playoffs. In 2015 we had the struggles with placekicking from the failed experiment with Lecompte as the placekicker in Missoula to Pederson's struggles throughout the year and especially in the playoffs. In 2016 the FG kicking was better but the return game took a step back with Bruce Anderson and Eric Perkins both battling injuries and of course there was the much lamented lack of pop in the punt game. This past year the punt coverage unit took a big step backwards and the special teams as a whole were dominated in Frisco.

I think from a pure Xs and Os perspective Klieman is a superior coach to Bohl but special teams under Bohl were almost always stellar.

KNOW IT ALL
02-01-2018, 03:48 PM
I think both coaches are great and have their differences as well. I keep thinking of the JMU fake punt late in the game this year. It was so well designed that it would have worked even if the Bison had sniffed it out. I go back to the days of Bohl, it could be considered that without a few well timed trick plays the Bison don't have the titles they now have. Fake punts and big kick returns were the difference in a number of big games in the early FCS title years. I have nothing but admiration for the Klieman staff, however, with improvement in special team and the addition of some big plays (including timely trick plays) I feel the Bison can be even more dominant. Being great doesn't mean they cant get better!! And I bet the coaches preach that to their team every day.

natstar1
02-01-2018, 03:53 PM

I was more so pointing out that you are ultra conservative, not that anyone would punt on 3rd down.

CAS4127
02-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Our punter wasn't nearly as good as LeCompte. I was more referring to our style where we don't go for a ton of blocks and take a lot of fair catches. We haven't needed many big returns because we've had huge leads. It would be nice to have an explosive return game when we're in a close game though

Not going for blocks AND always fair-catching kinda contradict one another. If you’re not trying to block the punt, setting up return is what you should be doing. We just do neither.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisManBison
02-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Not going for blocks AND always fair-catching kinda contradict one another. If you’re not trying to block the punt, setting up return is what you should be doing. We just do neither.

Yep, the MO seems to be just to fair catch every punt to get the ball back and the defense off the field. More often than not we are leaving our base defense out there to discourage a fake. Didn't work so well one time this year a fake was warranted and seemed obvious that it was coming.

TAILG8R
02-01-2018, 04:51 PM
I think both coaches are great and have their differences as well. I keep thinking of the JMU fake punt late in the game this year. It was so well designed that it would have worked even if the Bison had sniffed it out. I go back to the days of Bohl, it could be considered that without a few well timed trick plays the Bison don't have the titles they now have. Fake punts and big kick returns were the difference in a number of big games in the early FCS title years. I have nothing but admiration for the Klieman staff, however, with improvement in special team and the addition of some big plays (including timely trick plays) I feel the Bison can be even more dominant. Being great doesn't mean they cant get better!! And I bet the coaches preach that to their team every day.

Something tells me that if we call timeout and re-align in order to cover a fake punt JMU changes their call. So simply being heads up in that situation would probably have changed the outcome. Just my opinion.

KNOW IT ALL
02-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Something tells me that if we call timeout and re-align in order to cover a fake punt JMU changes their call. So simply being heads up in that situation would probably have changed the outcome. Just my opinion.

My point is that a well designed fake can even be successful if sniffed out. Going back to the first couple FCS title teams, it was crazy how big special teams were. Seems every game we had a timely fake punt and lets not forget how well the Bison responded to opposing TD's by returning the next kickoff back into the oppositions side of the field, frequently!!! Big special teams plays were very common. NOTHING changes the flow of a game quicker than a big special teams play and the current roster has the talent to excel in this part of the game, and probably will again soon.

IzzyFlexion
02-01-2018, 09:06 PM
Punting stats:

2013:
Opponents Punted: 101 times.
NDSU Punt Returns: 30.
NDSU Punt Return Yards: 399.

2014:
Opponents Punted: 91 times.
NDSU Punt Returns: 26.
NDSU Punt Return Yards: 250.

2015:
Opponents Punted: 103 times.
NDSU Punt Returns: 29.
NDSU Punt Return Yards: 343.

2016:
Opponents Punted: 64 times.
NDSU Punt Returns: 12.
NDSU Punt Return Yards: 151.

2017:
Opponents Punted: 93 times.
NDSU Punt Returns: 23.
NDSU Punt Return Yards: 136.

BisonNeil
02-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Well, I think the entire attitude of kicking Klieman to the curb because the special teams have always been bad under him compared to Bohl is due most to short memory spans. Granted, punting under Koonce has left a lot to be desired compared to LeCompte and others before him, but LeCompte was here the first two years of Klieman and punt coverage and kick coverage were good. I also seem to remember two kickoff returns in the 2015 playoffs that were crucial to winning a natty that year, especially the one in the UNI game. I don’t think it has been as bad as all of “woe are us” protagonists want to believe.

Bison4x
02-02-2018, 01:18 AM
Well, I think the entire attitude of kicking Klieman to the curb because the special teams have always been bad under him compared to Bohl is due most to short memory spans. Granted, punting under Koonce has left a lot to be desired compared to LeCompte and others before him, but LeCompte was here the first two years of Klieman and punt coverage and kick coverage were good. I also seem to remember two kickoff returns in the 2015 playoffs that were crucial to winning a natty that year, especially the one in the UNI game. I don’t think it has been as bad as all of “woe are us” protagonists want to believe.

People need to find something to bitch about. When you are as good as the Bison have been for so many years, it's tough to find something to complain about.

56BISON73
02-02-2018, 02:14 AM

JMU had absolutely no reason to punt the ball. Situational football awareness tell you that just by looking at the game clock.Not one person should have come off the line.

Bison20
02-02-2018, 05:07 AM
People need to find something to bitch about. When you are as good as the Bison have been for so many years, it's tough to find something to complain about.

Special teams should have single handily cost us a national championship this year. We could have easily lost by 30 with the field position they had. If not for an awesome defensive performance we lose that game by a lot. In this case the bitching is well deserved for this year's punting and returning.

Bison20
02-02-2018, 05:15 AM

I totally agree and was going to say the same thing. It's fine not to be aggressive in trying to block kicks but then you should be setting up a return. The only way it could be worse is to not even try to fair catch it and just let the ball bounce until it stops.

HerdBot
02-02-2018, 06:46 AM
Special teams should have single handily cost us a national championship this year. We could have easily lost by 30 with the field position they had. If not for an awesome defensive performance we lose that game by a lot. In this case the bitching is well deserved for this year's punting and returning.

Our punter was obviously hurt. He's never been great but after the roughing, he wasn't the same. But like I said earlier, a roughing penalty can be a game killer and for JMU, that was the difference in the game. Had they played it safe like us, who knows.

Our return coverage sucked as did the fake punt for that game. But our kick and punt coverage was pretty solid all year.

I would like to see us improve in both punting and returns. I like conservative but we were far right last year.

TAILG8R
02-02-2018, 02:23 PM
JMU had absolutely no reason to punt the ball. Situational football awareness tell you that just by looking at the game clock.Not one person should have come off the line.

Right so if we lined up to stop the fake they would have called a timeout and most likely put in a regular play to try to get a first down. Point stands that if we see the obvious and make an adjustment they are most likely forced to adjust as well.

Gary Hansen
02-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Hey everyone! We won the game, the special teams was bad, time to move on. We should get back to welcoming Kenneth Channelle to the herd. Young man just made the best decision of his life. He probably cannot even imagine how great this is going to be for him. Welcome, young man!!!

EndZoneQB
02-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Hey everyone! We won the game, the special teams was bad, time to move on. We should get back to welcoming Kenneth Channelle to the herd. Young man just made the best decision of his life. He probably cannot even imagine how great this is going to be for him. Welcome, young man!!!

Lol, like he is going to read this thread.

A1pigskin
02-03-2018, 12:30 PM
I do not think he is that huge of a get (meaning size at 5'11) but damn looks like he has "Southern Speed." I was impressed with the highlight film. Welcome to the Bison Mr. Channelle!

If he performs like Ryan Smith he won't need to be huge. We need some speed.

Alsen
02-04-2018, 12:31 AM
Speed would be Jayden Price. Ran a 10.73 100 last year. I'm curious to see if he runs a 10.6 something this year. He improved remarkably every other year, he may even run 10.5 this year.

I haven't heard anything about him running for the Bison, but if he really is this fast, I would expect them to recruit him.

Sorry, this is kinda the wrong thread. This one really got side tracked.

A lot of really fast guys are bad punt returners and a lot of slow but quick guys with excellent vision and timing are great punt returners.

As far as ST's, I think the responsibility is on our ST's/WR coach. Would only be on Kleiman if the coach just isn't capable and needs to be replaced.

I think what the Bison really need is a guy who is just flat gifted at punt returning. Not necessarily a TD machine, but a player who never muffs and has that innate ability to know when he can field the punt, and when it should be fair caught, and when he just needs to step away. It's like playing center field at a high level. It takes gifting,talent, and skill. IMO, ST's really are special.

Maybe Kenneth runs a 4.7 forty but he has these other qualities. Godspeed Kenneth.

Alsen
02-09-2018, 03:49 AM
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/antonio-brown/qQDqQ_TuEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/default.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/kenneth-chennelle/qE708_4nEeSrOKA2nzwY6g/default.htm

tony
02-14-2018, 07:52 PM
http://www.southernpigskin.com/recruiting/kenneth-channelle-leads-by-example/

Averaged 30 yards per punt return which isn't bad.

westnodak93bison
02-23-2018, 01:46 AM

Averaged 30 yards per punt return which isn't bad.But can he fair catch? Hide[emoji3]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

56BISON73
02-23-2018, 02:44 AM

Averaged 30 yards per punt return which isn't bad.

We already have a punter who can do that. Oh wait? What? :biggrin:

Jay
10-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Is transferring... opens up another scholarship.

Bison 4 Life
10-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Is transferring... opens up another scholarship.

What was your favorite Kenneth Channelle moment?

Christopher Moen
10-28-2018, 07:29 PM
What was your favorite Kenneth Channelle moment?

That one time Trey threw a pass?

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Bison 4 Life
10-28-2018, 07:33 PM
That one time Trey threw a pass?

Using my iPhone to Tapatalk-a-tap-dance on the F’Hawking graves of dead feelings from those who worship Nazi-sympathizers.

Mine too! What a coincidence!

Tony Almeida
10-28-2018, 08:04 PM
What was your favorite Kenneth Channelle moment?That one time I saw him at the mall with Bruce Anderson and Tony Pierce Jr.

T-herd
12-21-2019, 09:33 PM
FYI- playing for West Florida in D2 National championship on ESPNU. Only 1 Rec for 10 #7

oldmantutters
12-21-2019, 11:55 PM
FYI- playing for West Florida in D2 National championship on ESPNU. Only 1 Rec for 10 #7Was wondering if that was him. Didn't catch a first bake from the announcers and didn't care enough to do any research.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk