View Full Version : Looks like athletes will be able to transfer freely soon

IBleedYellow
01-17-2018, 05:05 PM
https://twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/status/953671983866277888

SHSU is in for a world of hurt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
01-17-2018, 05:45 PM
So one of the QBs from Alabama can transfer to Minnesota? :)

Mr Meaty
01-17-2018, 05:50 PM
So one of the QBs from Alabama can transfer to Minnesota? :)

The whole team could!!!!!! Why would they, would be the correct question to ask.

bisonp
01-17-2018, 05:57 PM
https://twitter.com/ESPN_Schick/status/953671983866277888

SHSU is in for a world of hurt.

College sports in general are in for a world of hurt.

HerdBot
01-17-2018, 05:58 PM
It's basically free agency in college athletics. Hopefully they get put some tampering rules in place because you know the Power 5 schools will do some shady stuff. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Wow the pressure to play players right away will be tremendous.

ByeSonBusiness
01-17-2018, 06:31 PM
This would officially make the FCS and G5...feeder teams.

Professor Chaos
01-17-2018, 06:47 PM
I don't think this will be nearly as big of a deal as some of you will. To me this will lead moreso to less FBS drop downs to the FCS but there's still only so many scholarships/roster spots on FBS teams. The P5 can't hoard all the FBS transfers and recruit the cream of the crop of the lower divisions as well along with signing the max of 25 scholarship kids per class each year. I think the fact that players will be allowed to transfer without penalty from FBS to FBS will ease the impact this has on FCS players moving up. There will probably be more than there was before but I highly doubt it'll lead to mass A(D2)/AA(FCS)/AAA(G5) "call ups" to P5 schools.

bisonp
01-17-2018, 07:02 PM
I don't think this will be nearly as big of a deal as some of you will. To me this will lead moreso to less FBS drop downs to the FCS but there's still only so many scholarships/roster spots on FBS teams. They can't hoard all the FBS transfers and recruit the cream of the crop of the lower divisions as well. I think the fact that players will be allowed to transfer without penalty from FBS to FBS will ease the impact this has on FCS players moving up. There will probably be more than there was before but I highly doubt it'll lead to mass A(D2)/AA(FCS)/AAA(G5) "call ups" to P5 schools.

If I were an FBS coach, I would absolutely use lower tiers as feeders to fill gaps. Why wouldn't I? For example if I were the Gophers coach I would have recruited Stick hard after 2015, and 9 out of 10 times a player in that position will accept.

This will separate the P5 from everybody else. That's the obvious goal, for the big schools to get all the best talent.

Professor Chaos
01-17-2018, 07:10 PM
If I were an FBS coach, I would absolutely use lower tiers as feeders to fill gaps. Why wouldn't I? For example if I were the Gophers coach I would have recruited Stick hard after 2015, and 9 out of 10 times a player in that position will accept.
They can do that now. It's called JUCOs. Some schools like K-State use that route quite a bit and those pipelines aren't going away. If Minnesota wants to raid NDSU/SDSU/etc then there's going to be a lot of athletes looking to transfer out of Minnesota as well because there just aren't enough scholarships to go around. The best programs at our level will adapt like they always have and the NDSUs and Montanas of the FCS will still have access to better players than the Indiana States of the FCS. Bottom line is in the end Minnesota will still be a bad B1G program and NDSU will still be an elite FCS program no matter how many players transfer into or out of each.

IBleedYellow
01-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Saw this over on AGS and I kinda like the train of thought he's saying...don't like the idea though.

"Who will be the first program to form a relationship with P5 team and be a feeder for them?

FCS program with close ties to the P5 school and coaching staff could share the same rulebook and trade players. Be a feeder for the P5 and allow P5 players to transfer down already knowing the system.

Why redshirt at a P5 when you can play FCS for a year or two then transfer for the Spring semester and start in the fall as a sophomore or a junior? If it is a program with an affiliation, the P5 coaches can regularly visit your practices and get to know you."

bisonp
01-17-2018, 07:40 PM
They can do that now. It's called JUCOs. Some schools like K-State use that route quite a bit and those pipelines aren't going away. If Minnesota wants to raid NDSU/SDSU/etc then there's going to be a lot of athletes looking to transfer out of Minnesota as well because there just aren't enough scholarships to go around. The best programs at our level will adapt like they always have and the NDSUs and Montanas of the FCS will still have access to better players than the Indiana States of the FCS. Bottom line is in the end Minnesota will still be a bad B1G program and NDSU will still be an elite FCS program no matter how many players transfer into or out of each.

That's true, but the quality of football will suffer. NDSU may still dominate FCS but they will no longer be competitive with P5 schools, including Minnesota.

EC8CH
01-17-2018, 10:26 PM
I don't like the sound of this. I get the idea of giving players more freedom compared to coaching staffs that can leave for greener pastures. Is a move this drastic really warranted though.

HerdBot
01-17-2018, 11:18 PM
I don't think this will be nearly as big of a deal as some of you will. To me this will lead moreso to less FBS drop downs to the FCS but there's still only so many scholarships/roster spots on FBS teams. The P5 can't hoard all the FBS transfers and recruit the cream of the crop of the lower divisions as well along with signing the max of 25 scholarship kids per class each year. I think the fact that players will be allowed to transfer without penalty from FBS to FBS will ease the impact this has on FCS players moving up. There will probably be more than there was before but I highly doubt it'll lead to mass A(D2)/AA(FCS)/AAA(G5) "call ups" to P5 schools.

Programs that don't develop players and rely on transfers will be hurt by this. Programs like us that don't go the transfer route will not be impacted any way shape or form. What do we get like 1 transfer every year or so and when we do get a transfer it's usually from a D2 program. We don't even go the juco route because only 1 out 10 seem to pan out. Our last juco never started a game and got kicked off the team.

ByeSonBusiness
01-17-2018, 11:22 PM
Programs that don't develop players and rely on transfers will be hurt by this. Programs like us that don't go the transfer route will not be impacted any way shape or form. What do we get like 1 transfer every year or so and when we do get a transfer it's usually from a D2 program.

This could definitely impact ndsu. Some guys might be excited to get a chance to go to an FBS school.

Tony Almeida
01-17-2018, 11:24 PM
This is going to hurt teams like the JMUs, Jacksonville States and Illinois States...they won't get as many FBS transfers since sitting out a year isn't a factor anymore.

Bison 4 Life
01-17-2018, 11:34 PM
This could definitely impact ndsu. Some guys might be excited to get a chance to go to an FBS school.

Not generally the guys we'd recruit. Easton Stick could probably call Scott Frost up right now and get a scholarship.

IBleedYellow
01-17-2018, 11:54 PM
Not generally the guys we'd recruit. Easton Stick could probably call Scott Frost up right now and get a scholarship.Not anymore. He's in the MBA program.

Bison 4 Life
01-18-2018, 12:12 AM
Not anymore. He's in the MBA program.

That was an incomplete thought, this is kind of what I meant. These rules aren't necessarily keeping the kids here. In fact, it will probably keep more here because the G5 likely has more of those kids that they'll pick before the FCS.

MAKBison
01-18-2018, 01:33 AM

not so much. As stated its not the type of guy we recruite and its really contrary to our system culture.

you could possible make an argument about depth, but again not likely.

bisonp
01-18-2018, 03:32 AM
Not generally the guys we'd recruit. Easton Stick could probably call Scott Frost up right now and get a scholarship.

Yeah, but would Stick have gone to Nebraska in 2016 if he had the chance? DeLuca? Maybe not, but I have no doubt that we'd lose many of our best players. The culture of FCS football would change, and I don't believe tradition alone could stop that. Remember NDSU doesn't get many players right now that receive FBS offers, and the fact they get any at all is an anomaly in FCS.

perthbison
01-18-2018, 03:53 AM

They can do that now

Bison20
01-18-2018, 03:54 AM
Yeah, but would Stick have gone to Nebraska in 2016 if he had the chance? DeLuca? Maybe not, but I have no doubt that we'd lose many of our best players. The culture of FCS football would change, and I don't believe tradition alone could stop that. Remember NDSU doesn't get many players right now that receive FBS offers, and the fact they get any at all is an anomaly in FCS.

Ndsu has been signing lots of players the last few years who have had multiple fbs offers. Ndsu can compete with any school not in the p5 although they have got a few of those kids too. I don't necessarily think this is a good rule to allow anyone to transfer but I do think if coaches leave kids should be able to leave without having to sit out

BFKasper14
01-18-2018, 05:26 AM
So would this give P5 coaches the ability to “recruit” players from lower division schools? It would suck to lose one of our best players during the season. Or would it only be at seasons end that they could transfer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAKBison
01-18-2018, 06:14 AM
Ndsu has been signing lots of players the last few years who have had multiple fbs offers. Ndsu can compete with any school not in the p5 although they have got a few of those kids too. I don't necessarily think this is a good rule to allow anyone to transfer but I do think if coaches leave kids should be able to leave without having to sit out

it is what...2 wins (3 if u count tl saying mn wanted him as a db) over P5 this class...at least one win over p5 the last few classes. i think we have more kids signed that had fbs offers than did not. The mac schools dont even try to battel us in our footprint cuz we win those recruiting battles and they dont like the black eye.

MAKBison
01-18-2018, 06:22 AM

don't mean to jump on you, but i think your post is inaccurate. go check out 24/7 and look at the past 3 /4 classes and who all offered our recruits

bisonaudit
01-18-2018, 06:30 AM
So would this give P5 coaches the ability to “recruit” players from lower division schools? It would suck to lose one of our best players during the season. Or would it only be at seasons end that they could transfer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw some speculation that there would be a transfer window. Even if this ultimately goes through it is going to take a few years to work out the rules.

Hammerhead
01-18-2018, 01:13 PM
So coaches would have to spend more time recruiting college players in addition to high schoolers. I can see it now. "Sorry coach, I can't make practice today. I have meeting with the linebackers coach at Piggly Wiggly State who says I can be a starter there next year."

bisonp
01-18-2018, 01:31 PM
don't mean to jump on you, but i think your post is inaccurate. go check out 24/7 and look at the past 3 /4 classes and who all offered our recruits

You could be right, but does that tell us how many guys we recruited but didn't bother to offer because they had FBS interest? In any case, I don't think I'm wrong that NDSU is an anomaly in FCS in their ability to get FBS recruits. Sure there are a few others here and there, but nothing like what NDSU is able to do.

HerdBot
01-18-2018, 03:06 PM

Some top FCS guys could also transfer from another team too and want to play for NDSU. It's just not going to happen much. Players know that if they only play for a team for a year or two, they have to learn a system. It rarely works out.

TNbison
01-18-2018, 03:06 PM
So we could have snagged a punter just before championship game. purplish.... :hide:

MAKBison
01-18-2018, 03:20 PM
You could be right, but does that tell us how many guys we recruited but didn't bother to offer because they had FBS interest? In any case, I don't think I'm wrong that NDSU is an anomaly in FCS in their ability to get FBS recruits. Sure there are a few others here and there, but nothing like what NDSU is able to do.

i think we are in agreement....yes. ndsu is an fbs program playing in the fcs....an anomaly as a lot of fbs team are really fcs programs.

HerdBot
01-18-2018, 03:26 PM

It's not going to happen much with our stars. It takes time to learn a new system. Take a guy like Nick DeLuca. Let's say he left his junior year after being a buck buchanon award candidate? (pre injury) Then com his senior year where he's already projected as draft pick, a BB candidate, and move to a new team and have the same knowledge level of the defense as a true freshman? Would have been the dumbest decision ever. As of now he's a national champion, playing in the good shrine game and was invited to the NFL combine. If he does well he will get drafted and have a chance to make millions despite an injury. What would have happened if he went to a power 5 school and didn't win the starting role right away or spends half his time there learning a brand new system so he's thinking instead of playing fast?

Stick going to Nebraska when he will be the big name in the FCS. Seems about as brilliant as Vernon Adams going to Oregon. Where is he playing again? Canada. And he's also extremely disliked in Cheney now.

I think you may see players who are redshirt freshman, sophmores or juniors not getting playing time transfer when they don't see the field. Besides we don't recruit 5 star athletes. We develop them and it takes time.

Bisonator98
01-18-2018, 03:29 PM
I say if they don't want to be here don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Don't think this will have much impact on us.

MAKBison
01-18-2018, 03:32 PM
I say if they don't want to be here don't let the door hit ya on the way out. Don't think this will have much impact on us.

agree our culture dictates playing for the guy next to you and before you....we attract those type of folks and those type of folks dont typically jump ship for indvidual gain

tjbison
01-18-2018, 03:35 PM

where have been?

Its not an anomaly, many teams in FCS sign players every year with FBS offers, not just NDSU, its more common than you think

KNOW IT ALL
01-18-2018, 03:56 PM
This new rule would be a clear advantage to programs that take advantage of the opportunity to bring in players that fall thru the recruiting cracks or simply developed quickly and unexpectedly after high school. NDSU is more apt to lose from this than gain as it has a history of taking care of its own and avoiding the transfer-in players. NDSU has a great team culture, but rest assured, every once in a while a big surprise will hit them in the face. Schools like Alabama, Clemson etc... where many players are two years and gone will reap the harvest from this new ruling, AAA ball mentality as a quick stepping stone to the NFL. EX: A Jabril Cox type player after his sophomore season.

IBleedYellow
01-18-2018, 04:32 PM
With this rule Goedert and Weineki could have actually became champions...

MAKBison
01-18-2018, 04:36 PM
good discussion on 1660 about this right now

wagsabison
01-18-2018, 04:50 PM
This new rule would be a clear advantage to programs that take advantage of the opportunity to bring in players that fall thru the recruiting cracks or simply developed quickly and unexpectedly after high school. NDSU is more apt to lose from this than gain as it has a history of taking care of its own and avoiding the transfer-in players. NDSU has a great team culture, but rest assured, every once in a while a big surprise will hit them in the face. Schools like Alabama, Clemson etc... where many players are two years and gone will reap the harvest from this new ruling, AAA ball mentality as a quick stepping stone to the NFL. EX: A Jabril Cox type player after his sophomore season.

They have to be out of high school a min of 3 years. Most will have played 3 years if they are that good.

KNOW IT ALL
01-18-2018, 05:47 PM
They have to be out of high school a min of 3 years. Most will have played 3 years if they are that good.

The three year stipulation will help a lot. Although I could see a kid win a couple FCS titles and decide to try and add an FBS title to his resume as well. I could never blame a top talent from taking a one year deal from a school like Alabama as a stepping stone to a future NFL deal.

wagsabison
01-18-2018, 06:06 PM
The three year stipulation will help a lot. Although I could see a kid win a couple FCS titles and decide to try and add an FBS title to his resume as well. I could never blame a top talent from taking a one year deal from a school like Alabama as a stepping stone to a future NFL deal.

I think the 3 years is what it currently is.

Bison 4 Life
01-18-2018, 07:57 PM
Redshirt rule appears to be in the offing. http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds-like-new-redshirt-rule-going-pass/

NCAA going bananas!

td577
01-18-2018, 10:20 PM
As far as transferring at will, it is a dangerous game to play for some colleges. Sure there are always going to be the very top tier who are already cutting scholarship student/athletes along the way to make room for the next blue chip recruits, but most programs have to develop talent after recruiting. It doesn't work for most programs to talk a kid into buying into your development program and then bring in a transfer 2 years in anyways. Do it too much and high school coaches start showing how some schools will not be good matches for them. Dude, they say one thing but they have this history of doing something completely different. Not a little different. They show you the door half way through your development and bring in the transfer. Even though you did everything they asked.

Now, if programs like NDSU continue to do business like they are, this could actually further strengthen their program. You know what you are going to get, they very rarely accept a transfer, and the transfers they do take have to earn playing time like everyone else. They follow through with what they have told you if you buy in and follow their program. It is not going to work for middle of the road programs who are always replacing someone with someone better. Recruiting will become very difficult. You can't build your program on transfers when transfers are the only ones that will come to your program. I don't think you ignore transfers. They fill in gaps developed by life. There is always attrition even when you don't expect it.

I do like the redshirt rule. I can see a program like NDSU using it to expand their depth later in the year and exploit development earlier in the year.

totoinfl
01-19-2018, 04:06 PM
As far as transferring at will, it is a dangerous game to play for some colleges. Sure there are always going to be the very top tier who are already cutting scholarship student/athletes along the way to make room for the next blue chip recruits, but most programs have to develop talent after recruiting. It doesn't work for most programs to talk a kid into buying into your development program and then bring in a transfer 2 years in anyways. Do it too much and high school coaches start showing how some schools will not be good matches for them. Dude, they say one thing but they have this history of doing something completely different. Not a little different. They show you the door half way through your development and bring in the transfer. Even though you did everything they asked.

Now, if programs like NDSU continue to do business like they are, this could actually further strengthen their program. You know what you are going to get, they very rarely accept a transfer, and the transfers they do take have to earn playing time like everyone else. They follow through with what they have told you if you buy in and follow their program. It is not going to work for middle of the road programs who are always replacing someone with someone better. Recruiting will become very difficult. You can't build your program on transfers when transfers are the only ones that will come to your program. I don't think you ignore transfers. They fill in gaps developed by life. There is always attrition even when you don't expect it.

I do like the redshirt rule. I can see a program like NDSU using it to expand their depth later in the year and exploit development earlier in the year.

Pretty much agree on the redshirt rule. I think 4 games seems to be a lot, but it is ok. The transfer rule is concerning. The 3 year rule helps, but if you have a pipeline of quarterbacks, you could very well lose one that was to step in next year for a graduating senior. FCS will lose some folks, I think especially on defense and the O-line...a kid shows up as a raw 6-4 freshman d-end, grows into the body and develops some skills. There can never be too many good d ends in the game anymore.

KNOW IT ALL
01-19-2018, 05:41 PM
In yesterdays GF Herald there was a bit on -ND getting a transfer from UofM. It went on to list a number of past FBS transfers to -nd and how they panned out. I don't recall it being much better than 50/50 and none of the names really stood out. Its also a good reason why they struggle recruiting of recent as kids are shy to programs who bring in a lot of transfers. YOu Know, work your ass off for a couple years so a transfer can come in and take your position. LOYALTY, a two way street.

HerdBot
01-19-2018, 06:27 PM
Redshirt rule appears to be in the offing. http://footballscoop.com/news/sounds-like-new-redshirt-rule-going-pass/

NCAA going bananas!

Good that's super awesome. Gives FCS more depth. Gives a player more time to develop. This would be HUGE for NDSU in a 4 game playoff. Example let's say we lost a 2 DEs in the last regular season game of the year, we could have played someone like Spencer Waege for the entire playoffs. Could have done the same thing with Josh Hayes and wouldn't have had to play him earlier in the year

At the bottom of the article it said... (not sure If this was posted already)

Elsewhere, it sounds as if the proposal to allow a 1-time chance for players to transfer within FBS without sitting out a year is officially dead, at least for this year..

Bison"FANatic"
01-19-2018, 06:57 PM
The transfer rule sucks, out right sucks as proposed. Any program that has a good development program basically becomes a training ground for the larger more prestigious programs. You put in the time and money (both the schools and donors) to train the recruit turn them from a boy or a girl to man or a woman and then they can move on without any consequences.

MAKBison
01-19-2018, 08:58 PM
The transfer rule sucks, out right sucks as proposed. Any program that has a good development program basically becomes a training ground for the larger more prestigious programs. You put in the time and money (both the schools and donors) to train the recruit turn them from a boy or a girl to man or a woman and then they can move on without any consequences.

our AD did not seem to think that way.....says teams get into trouble when teams and players dont do their due diligence vetting each other. i am sure herdbot posted the interview ....kinda interesting

Bison"FANatic"
01-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Look what our point guard transferring did to the basketball team and how that caused problems and he did it knowing he had to sit a year. You have outside influence in kids ears now especially in basketball, imagine how much outside pressure will be on them when it becomes easy in football. It will be like a constant recruiting going on either above board or below. The coaches are going to have to protect the players they have now, evaluate and recruit high schools and then if you are going to play ball you better be evaluating athletes that are already on college teams. Just what a coach needs is more on their plate. It will lead to a lot of shady crap being pulled.

KNOW IT ALL
01-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Look what our point guard transferring did to the basketball team and how that caused problems and he did it knowing he had to sit a year. You have outside influence in kids ears now especially in basketball, imagine how much outside pressure will be on them when it becomes easy in football. It will be like a constant recruiting going on either above board or below. The coaches are going to have to protect the players they have now, evaluate and recruit high schools and then if you are going to play ball you better be evaluating athletes that are already on college teams. Just what a coach needs is more on their plate. It will lead to a lot of shady crap being pulled.

If there is a bright side, nobody cares about basketball :facepalm:

Bison"FANatic"
03-03-2020, 03:06 PM
I know there was talk of this again this year. Letting student athletes transfer from anywhere to anywhere, anytime and be immediately eligible just doesn't sit right. I still am in the camp that I do not want NDSU to be a developmental program that any top FBS team can come in and poach our players. You want to see the Give a Shit Factor of a fanbase tank just start having the best players leaving the team on a regular basis. If you earn a degree you earn the right to transfer beyond that still not a fan of this possibility.

I don't give money to teammakers to be a developmental program for power 5 schools.

23Bison
03-03-2020, 03:10 PM
I can agree with this.

ZHerd
03-03-2020, 05:10 PM
Yep. Schools and staff and alumni invest way too much into players for them to pick up and leave as though we are just a farm system.

SDbison
03-03-2020, 08:04 PM
Yep. Schools and staff and alumni invest way too much into players for them to pick up and leave as though we are just a farm system. This is why the Jabril transfer bothers me so much.

OrygunBison
03-03-2020, 11:10 PM
Meh, there actually exists a potential that we start getting 3 years of amazing production from even more talented guys coming here if this really were to become a trend. Consider it similar to how we attract great coaches.

23Bison
03-03-2020, 11:18 PM
So maybe a calling card if you will for some possibly talented kids in say the Jabril Cox realm that could see coming to NDSU till they grad transfer and then try to get into a good P5 program? Sounds worse when I type it out but I think I see what you are getting at.

I don’t like it.

ZHerd
03-04-2020, 12:27 AM
This is why the Jabril transfer bothers me so much.

Jabril graduated though which means that even after redshirting he plays for several years for NDSU. That doesn’t bother me so much. My issue is if they let guys do this earlier. Imagine us losing Trey Lance right now to a fbs. Imo that would be very wrong. I think it would happen enough to hurt and would turn teams like NDSU into farm system. Could we end up with other teams players? Yes, but that is a lot of instability. I want us to develop and play our own recruits.

GreenfieldBison
03-04-2020, 12:35 AM
Jabril graduated though which means that even after redshirting he plays for several years for NDSU. That doesn’t bother me so much. My issue is if they let guys do this earlier. Imagine us losing Trey Lance right now to a fbs. Imo that would be very wrong. I think it would happen enough to hurt and would turn teams like NDSU into farm system. Could we end up with other teams players? Yes, but that is a lot of instability. I want us to develop and play our own recruits.

This is the very change the NCAA has on the table though right? A player can make a transfer once and play immediately without having graduated from the first institution. Am I right? Is that one still alive and coming to a vote?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDbison
03-04-2020, 12:55 AM
This is the very change the NCAA has on the table though right? A player can make a transfer once and play immediately without having graduated from the first institution. Am I right? Is that one still alive and coming to a vote?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Yes, that is what I have read. There is no limitation on what year the transfer occurs. There is just one transfer allowed without penalty. Seems highly likely this will get approved since only basketball, football and hockey don't allow this. Sorry but I just think this is the beginning of the end of true college sports.

bisonaudit
03-04-2020, 03:00 AM
All college programs are just farm systems already.

ZHerd
03-04-2020, 03:16 AM
All college programs are just farm systems already.

NDSU is not currently a farm system for anyone. Guys are basically here for the 4 years expected in a collegiate career. I think I somewhat understand your argument but I don’t see how it’s equivalent. The NFL doesn’t ruin college football. This happening would hurt college ball, particularly the “mid-majors.” Bama and co lose some guys early but they also get first dibs on the best recruits, and would then also have dibs on the few top guys that slipped through the cracks. NDSU gets and develops an occasional big time talent. Change the rules and we’ll lose those guys

Professor Chaos
03-04-2020, 01:55 PM
NDSU is not currently a farm system for anyone. Guys are basically here for the 4 years expected in a collegiate career. I think I somewhat understand your argument but I don’t see how it’s equivalent. The NFL doesn’t ruin college football. This happening would hurt college ball, particularly the “mid-majors.” Bama and co lose some guys early but they also get first dibs on the best recruits, and would then also have dibs on the few top guys that slipped through the cracks. NDSU gets and develops an occasional big time talent. Change the rules and we’ll lose those guys
I know where you're coming from. You give time and effort to the NDSU athletic department through the resources spent supporting the program. But what about the time and effort given to the athletic department by the student athletes? Shouldn't they have the same choice you do on how they allocate their time and energy? Circumstances change for some guys. Whether it's coaching changes or them just realizing that they didn't actually buy what was sold in the recruiting process I think they should have the ability to find a better situation for themselves as well. Some guys will still transfer for the wrong reasons but I think it's a pretty good compromise to allow a one-time penalty free transfer without punishing a guy for breaking some kind of hypothetical contract he supposedly signed as a 17/18 year old.

2011BisonAlumni
03-04-2020, 02:10 PM
Meh, there actually exists a potential that we start getting 3 years of amazing production from even more talented guys coming here if this really were to become a trend. Consider it similar to how we attract great coaches.

I think if anything, more coaches will see generational talents like Jabril as a risk and they will play them as true freshman.

I'd rather have 4 years of production than 3 any day.

Bison"FANatic"
03-04-2020, 02:28 PM
I know where you're coming from. You give time and effort to the NDSU athletic department through the resources spent supporting the program. But what about the time and effort given to the athletic department by the student athletes? Shouldn't they have the same choice you do on how you allocate their time and energy? Circumstances change for some guys. Whether it's coaching changes or them just realizing that they didn't actually buy what was sold in the recruiting process I think they should have the ability to find a better situation for themselves as well. Some guys will still transfer for the wrong reasons but I think it's a pretty good compromise to allow a one-time penalty free transfer without punishing a guy for breaking some kind of hypothetical contract he supposedly signed as an 17/18 year old.

So your saying that they should have no consequence for their decision. They can change now but there is a cost of having to sit out a year and as I see it that is the way it should be. In life major decisions have consequences and when the consequences are eliminated or minimized the decisions are no longer major. Where a student athlete decides to play and study should always be a major decision for them. It should require a commitment from both the institution and the player.

ZHerd
03-04-2020, 02:30 PM
I know where you're coming from. You give time and effort to the NDSU athletic department through the resources spent supporting the program. But what about the time and effort given to the athletic department by the student athletes? Shouldn't they have the same choice you do on how they allocate their time and energy? Circumstances change for some guys. Whether it's coaching changes or them just realizing that they didn't actually buy what was sold in the recruiting process I think they should have the ability to find a better situation for themselves as well. Some guys will still transfer for the wrong reasons but I think it's a pretty good compromise to allow a one-time penalty free transfer without punishing a guy for breaking some kind of hypothetical contract he supposedly signed as a 17/18 year old.

If a kid commits imo he definitely owes more than a year. Look at the time, money, effort put into him his redshirt year (most do redshirt for us) and then some P5 scavenges him off after he has a good year. It will ruin our level of football. We go into an offseason with a handful of guys we look forward to seeing and absolutely FBS schools would love to have those guys. I know you think this is an overreaction but it isn’t. Schools like NDSU in particular will be killed by this. We already have to work harder to find and develop P5 caliber players and with that rule change we will just be developing them for someone else. We find, recruit and develop the “diamond in the rough” guys for P5 schools and Kramer essentially becomes a P5 employee...oh yay. They should pay us for recruiting and player development if this happens. It will absolutely suck. That isn’t fair to smaller programs. I’m sorry but this isn’t all about the kid and his wants and dreams. There are a slough of other people involved and they matter as well. This rule will make us a farm team. If people are ok with that based simply on what a kid desires so be it but it really isnt just. I wonder if it couldn’t be tempered a little (only upperclassmen have the option) though I wish they would just keep the rule as is.

oldmantutters
03-04-2020, 03:45 PM
What would you all think of something like this. Keep the current rules in place for a student athlete transferring down. For a student athlete transferring within division or transferring up, the school who loses the athlete receives an extra scholarship paid for by the school the SA is transferring to. AND the school being transferred to loses a scholarship. The team losing the player now has two open scholarships (only having to pay out for one), the team gaining the player is filling a scholarship with the transferring player but also losing one. These rules wouldn't apply to any SAs who are transferring from a school suffering a coaching change. Also if the student sits a year, like is the current rule, no scholarship is exchanged.

Example: John Doe is a stud sophomore QB at Jacksonville State. He wants to try improve his draft stock so enters the transfer portal. Auburn just graduated a QB and doesn't have much waiting in the wings. Auburn sees John Doe's film and thinks "hey, we might have something here" and starts talks with John Doe about being a Tiger. John Doe and Auburn agree, JSU is frustrated but now are working with an extra scholarship for the next year being paid for by Auburn. Auburn is down to 84 scholarships, but paying for all 85.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
03-04-2020, 04:12 PM
So your saying that they should have no consequence for their decision. They can change now but there is a cost of having to sit out a year and as I see it that is the way it should be. In life major decisions have consequences and when the consequences are eliminated or minimized the decisions are no longer major. Where a student athlete decides to play and study should always be a major decision for them. It should require a commitment from both the institution and the player.
There's plenty of consequences. There's all sorts of dynamics in dealing with a new area, a new school, a new coaching staff, and a new team that potential transfer need to (or at least should) think long and hard about. It's just like moving or switching jobs in real life. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but I don't think it's fair to the student-athletes to put in penalties that restrict their ability to find a better situation if they don't like the one they're in.

As far as making a commitment goes I'd be less supportive of this rule if scholarships were 4/5 year commitments from the school but scholarships are year-to-year and they're not always renewed. The student-athlete shouldn't be penalized for transferring before they've graduated if the school isn't penalized for not renewing their scholarship. Similarly, if a player is on a partial scholarship or no scholarship at his current school and there's other schools willing to give him a scholarship I think he should be able to pursue that.

If a kid commits imo he definitely owes more than a year. Look at the time, money, effort put into him his redshirt year (most do redshirt for us) and then some P5 scavenges him off after he has a good year. It will ruin our level of football. We go into an offseason with a handful of guys we look forward to seeing and absolutely FBS schools would love to have those guys. I know you think this is an overreaction but it isn’t. Schools like NDSU in particular will be killed by this. We already have to work harder to find and develop P5 caliber players and with that rule change we will just be developing them for someone else. We find, recruit and develop the “diamond in the rough” guys for P5 schools and Kramer essentially becomes a P5 employee...oh yay. They should pay us for recruiting and player development if this happens. It will absolutely suck. That isn’t fair to smaller programs. I’m sorry but this isn’t all about the kid and his wants and dreams. There are a slough of other people involved and they matter as well. This rule will make us a farm team. If people are ok with that based simply on what a kid desires so be it but it really isnt just. I wonder if it couldn’t be tempered a little (only upperclassmen have the option) though I wish they would just keep the rule as is.
We'll have to agree to disagree on the bolded.

Does it ruin softball and golf and track & field and soccer? Doesn't the school make investments in those athletes as well? They can all transfer without penalty prior to graduation right now and have been able to for years.

ZHerd
03-04-2020, 04:24 PM
There's plenty of consequences. There's all sorts of dynamics in dealing with a new area, a new school, a new coaching staff, and a new team that potential transfer need to (or at least should) think long and hard about. It's just like moving or switching jobs in real life. The grass isn't always greener on the other side but I don't think it's fair to the student-athletes to put in penalties that restrict their ability to find a better situation if they don't like the one they're in.

As far as making a commitment goes I'd be less supportive of this rule if scholarships were 4/5 year commitments from the school but scholarships are year-to-year and they're not always renewed. The student-athlete shouldn't be penalized for transferring before they've graduated if the school isn't penalized for not renewing their scholarship. Similarly, if a player is on a partial scholarship or no scholarship at his current school and there's other schools willing to give him a scholarship I think he should be able to pursue that.

Does it ruin softball and golf and track & field and soccer? Doesn't the school make investments in those athletes as well? They can all transfer without penalty prior to graduation right now and have been able to for years.

I don’t follow any of those so I don’t know how it affects them. In terms of improving draft stock I would think only soccer would be somewhat comparable in terms of reason/incentive to transfer.. I would guess football would see more transferring than any of those and also football probably has far more people involved and invested and caring. Seems a bit apples oranges comparison but would be interesting to see how other sports are affected.

Twincitybizon
03-06-2020, 06:21 PM
Everybody talking about it being bad for ndsu is right. Except that this is still amature Athletics and we should be thinking about what's best for the kids. Also coaches and players being held to different standards on when they can skip out on contacts is bullshit.

steelbison
03-06-2020, 07:59 PM
Programs that don't develop players and rely on transfers will be hurt by this. Programs like us that don't go the transfer route will not be impacted any way shape or form. What do we get like 1 transfer every year or so and when we do get a transfer it's usually from a D2 program. We don't even go the juco route because only 1 out 10 seem to pan out. Our last juco never started a game and got kicked off the team.

Your seriously that naive? Wow, this is horrible news for college football and especially teams at our level. Can you imagine how many teams would be recruiting Trey right now. How about Watson? Lots of teams would love to have either of them.

This would total ruin college football. If you can't see that then you are pretty clueless.

steelbison
03-06-2020, 08:04 PM
I think if anything, more coaches will see generational talents like Jabril as a risk and they will play them as true freshman.

I'd rather have 4 years of production than 3 any day.

True, but if this rule was in place Cox would have been gone after his Sophomore year. This will absolutely ruin football at NDSU If this was in place right now and a kid from Florida like Watson all of a sudden was being recruited by The Gators or FSU he wouldn't be gone? My guess he would be on the first flight out. A lot of these kids have dreams to play FBS football. No one we can complete with schools like LSU Alabama Florida ect ect ect

steelbison
03-06-2020, 08:09 PM

Comparing non-revenue to revenue sports is apples to oranges. Imagine the drop off in interest and attendance at NDSU if their best players can be taken at anytime without penalty. Also imagine trying to be a coach in those situations. good luck with that

bisonaudit
03-06-2020, 11:11 PM
Comparing non-revenue to revenue sports is apples to oranges. Imagine the drop off in interest and attendance at NDSU if their best players can be taken at anytime without penalty. Also imagine trying to be a coach in those situations. good luck with that

Kentucky basketball seems to be just fine.

CalBison97
03-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Kentucky basketball seems to be just fine.

Are you comparing Kentucky basketball to NDSU football?

Hammerhead
03-07-2020, 02:08 PM
Look on the bright side. Some very good players might be transferring to NDSU.

SDbison
03-07-2020, 02:18 PM
Look on the bright side. Some very good players might be transferring to NDSU.lol.....NDSU would get leftovers that any FBS team didn't want? We are already better as a team than all but the top 30 FBS teams. Many of our players could play FBS, but they want to be a Bison. There is nothing good that will happen to NDSU from a transfer any time without penalty. Just like the DII reduction in scholarships this will help end the dynasty. And how nice, we get to be a feeder system to the high and mighty P5 teams. Sad times.

SDbison
03-07-2020, 02:22 PM
True, but if this rule was in place Cox would have been gone after his Sophomore year. This will absolutely ruin football at NDSU If this was in place right now and a kid from Florida like Watson all of a sudden was being recruited by The Gators or FSU he wouldn't be gone? My guess he would be on the first flight out. A lot of these kids have dreams to play FBS football. No one we can complete with schools like LSU Alabama Florida ect ect ect Very true. I agree 100%.

SDbison
03-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Comparing non-revenue to revenue sports is apples to oranges. Imagine the drop off in interest and attendance at NDSU if their best players can be taken at anytime without penalty. Also imagine trying to be a coach in those situations. good luck with that Again, how very true. These kids are not professionals, they are college kids. I can't believe how many people want college kids to be like free agents. So much bullshit.

SamsRams
03-07-2020, 03:15 PM
lol.....NDSU would get leftovers that any FBS team didn't want? We are already better as a team than all but the top 30 FBS teams. Many of our players could play FBS, but they want to be a Bison. There is nothing good that will happen to NDSU from a transfer any time without penalty. Just like the DII reduction in scholarships this will help end the dynasty. And how nice, we get to be a feeder system to the high and mighty P5 teams. Sad times.

So why can’t the rest of the FCS be a feeder program for NDSU then?

SDbison
03-07-2020, 04:03 PM
So why can’t the rest of the FCS be a feeder program for NDSU then? Why would you want that? Losing players on the one side would suck and then to have to pick up some individual to replace who is likely more worried about his personal benefits than the team. You have it all wrong. The reason the Bison are successful is the TEAM. If this happens NDSU will lose much of their support for football.

bisonaudit
03-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Why would you want that? Losing players on the one side would suck and then to have to pick up some individual to replace who is likely more worried about his personal benefits than the team. You have it all wrong. The reason the Bison are successful is the TEAM. If this happens NDSU will lose much of their support for football.

Yes, just like no one goes to see Duke anymore because all the players leave after one year. Please, if they continue to play well people will support the team.

SamsRams
03-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Why would you want that? Losing players on the one side would suck and then to have to pick up some individual to replace who is likely more worried about his personal benefits than the team. You have it all wrong. The reason the Bison are successful is the TEAM. If this happens NDSU will lose much of their support for football.

If you honestly think the coaches would abandon their philosophy of recruiting team first guys then you haven’t been paying attention through all the coaching and NCAA rule changes.

SDbison
03-08-2020, 03:45 AM
Yes, just like no one goes to see Duke anymore because all the players leave after one year. Please, if they continue to play well people will support the team. We are not Duke moron.

SDbison
03-08-2020, 03:47 AM
If you honestly think the coaches would abandon their philosophy of recruiting team first guys then you haven’t been paying attention through all the coaching and NCAA rule changes. Well the NCAA trying their most to rid us of that type of player.

bisonaudit
03-08-2020, 11:11 PM
We are not Duke moron.

Aren't we? K only has 5 titles.