PDA

View Full Version : The 2017 Bison compared to past title teams (by the numbers)

Professor Chaos
01-10-2018, 03:52 PM
I already had this done for the first 5 title teams so I figured I'd add all the stats in for the 2017 team to see how they stacked up and let's just say they were impressive to say the least.

Here's the overall season numbers (best season for each stat category is highlighted):

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4658/24747704347_370c59d0c0_b.jpg

Here's the regular season numbers:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4768/24747703767_38f3485f71_b.jpg

Here's the playoff numbers:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4746/38907712054_86f0a3e9aa_b.jpg

Some things that stood out for me:

The run game was absolutely dominant. A half yard per carry higher in the regular season than any other year, more rush yards per game than any other year, and more rushing TDs than any other year.
A 14.5% 3rd down conversion defense in the playoffs is just stupid good.
A 100+ point spread in passing efficiency compared to defensive passing efficiency in the playoffs is simply astounding.
The 2017 defense on the season has the best defensive pass efficiency and lowest rush yards per game allowed of any D1 title team. It's a legit question to ask if this was the best defense the Bison have ever had in the D1 era.
Speaking of efficiency the 2017 offense had the highest yards per pass attempt and tied for the highest (with 2013) yards per rush attempt.

By the numbers this year's team clearly exceeded all the other title teams except for the 2013 team. Now you can make the argument that the 2013 team played a tough FBS opponent that skews the numbers a bit and, of course, the 2013 team is all by itself with a 0 in the L column but these 2017 Bison should go down as one of the best teams in the history of NDSU football.

Rixen
01-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Super interesting. Thanks, Chaos!

BisonFanAnn
01-10-2018, 04:08 PM
Thanks - that is a lot of fun to look at!

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2018, 04:12 PM
I ran through the numbers to see if i could spot any mistakes. youre way off on opponent red zone scoring % in the 2012 playoffs.

tony
01-10-2018, 04:13 PM
That's some nice work.

Which makes me wonder: The NCAA site has current year stats, but do they archive them anywhere?

semobison
01-10-2018, 04:17 PM
Thanks Chaos, always interesting but this years stats are a little inflated due to our cupcake OOC schedule! We put up some monster numbers the first three games. I always found conference only stats an interesting way to compare our current team to previous Bison teams. The 2017 wasn't as good as 2013 team IMO but you could argue that they were as good as any other of our championship teams.

semobison
01-10-2018, 04:19 PM
That's some nice work.

Which makes me wonder: The NCAA site has current year stats, but do they archive them anywhere?

MVFC stats are archived.

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2018, 04:20 PM
Thanks Chaos, always interesting but this years stats are a little inflated due to our cupcake OOC schedule! We put up some monster numbers the first three games. I always found conference only stats an interesting way to compare our current team to previous Bison teams. The 2017 wasn't as good as 2013 team IMO but you could argue that they were as good as any other of our championship teams.

Id say....

QB=wash
WRs-2013
TE's-2017
RB's-2017(if all healthy)
OL-2013
DL-Wash...2013 had a pro on it, 2017s 2 deep was sick and missing an all american
LB's-2017
Secondary-2013
Punter-2013 by a mile
Kicker-2013

Professor Chaos
01-10-2018, 04:21 PM
I ran through the numbers to see if i could spot any mistakes. youre way off on opponent red zone scoring % in the 2012 playoffs.
Looks right to me. Opponents had 8 RZ possessions and got 2 TDs and 3 FGs.... unless I'm reading wrong: http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2012/teamgbg.htm

2013 had some cupcakes OOC too like Delaware St and Ferris St. EWU in 2017 was definitely a much easier opponent than K-State was in 2013 though. Also, the MVFC was better in 2017 than it was in 2013. Only 2 MVFC teams made the playoffs in 2013 (NDSU and SDSU) and only 4 had winning records.

EC8CH
01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
Id say....

QB=wash
WRs-2013
TE's-2017
RB's-2017(if all healthy)
OL-2013
DL-Wash...2013 had a pro on it, 2017s 2 deep was sick and missing an all american
LB's-2017
Secondary-2013
Punter-2013 by a mile
Kicker-2013

Mustaches-2017

MNLonghorn10
Looks right to me. Opponents had 8 RZ possessions and got 2 TDs and 3 FGs.... unless I'm reading wrong: http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2012/teamgbg.htm

im just bullshitting you, haha. awesome graphics

MNLonghorn10
Mustaches-2017

was there a stache out in 2013? If so, wash

IzzyFlexion
01-10-2018, 06:15 PM
im just bullshitting you, haha. awesome graphics

Aint no way Chaos is gonna put those outstanding spreadsheets up there without CAS having proofread 'em.

TateMosersneighbor
01-10-2018, 07:17 PM
This team is the 2nd best in NDSU history to only 2013. I think this team beats 2013 3 or 4 times out of 10. It beats 1986 (which I feel is the 3rd best team) 10 out of 10 times.

Argue all you want...but these guys in 2017 are just 30 years better than the teams of the mid 80s. Kids are bigger, faster...all of that.

OrygunBison
01-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Obviously, the results are what really matters but I keep thinking about what the stats for this team would look like if they'd been more healthy. We had NT and ND both still recovering when the season started. Menard was lost before the season. A likely record-setting (obviously, a guess) RB roster was really affected. CB's gone, etc., etc., etc.

With what we have coming back, I gotta like our team's chances to run the table next year with a record setting performance if they can stay healthy. Such amazing talent returning and incredible skill waiting behind the guys graduating out of the program. I honestly think that the 2018 team has a chance to be our best, most complete team ever...which is scary to even contemplate.

BisonFanAnn
01-10-2018, 09:06 PM
No point in playing the "What if" game. What matters most is that we DID lose several key players to injury this year, and still put up ridiculous stats.

I think back to a conversation I had with a JSU fan in Frisco before the game - his son was on the team. We were both talking about how much we were enjoying our trip (first time for both of us), and I said I hoped to have a chance to come back. He said "Oh, you'll be back - I looked at y'all's roster!"

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Obviously, the results are what really matters but I keep thinking about what the stats for this team would look like if they'd been more healthy. We had NT and ND both still recovering when the season started. Menard was lost before the season. A likely record-setting (obviously, a guess) RB roster was really affected. CB's gone, etc., etc., etc.

With what we have coming back, I gotta like our team's chances to run the table next year with a record setting performance if they can stay healthy. Such amazing talent returning and incredible skill waiting behind the guys graduating out of the program. I honestly think that the 2018 team has a chance to be our best, most complete team ever...which is scary to even contemplate.
Next years schedule is very favorable to not run the table

@ UNI might be a test but Im pretty sure they lost some talent. 4 total road games. Strevlarless USD, WIU replacing a coach/QB/WR and Mo St.

YSU, ISUR, SDSU, Cal Poly, UD, UNA, SIU all home. lol

runtheoption
01-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Argue all you want...but these guys in 2017 are just 30 years better than the teams of the mid 80s. Kids are bigger, faster...all of that.

But todays kids are softer, with all their concussion protocol BS, limited contact in practices, and fancy energy drinks on the sideline. Bull in a ring? Dead. They probably don't even drink beer or haze the rooks anymore. Look at PL and CAS -- 4 years of college FB and they turned out ok.

EC8CH
01-10-2018, 10:01 PM

@ UNI might be a test but Im pretty sure they lost some talent. 4 total road games. Strevlarless USD, WIU replacing a coach/QB/WR and Mo St.

Stick's got a shot at the Jensen record as crazy as that is. Having them 1 - 2 on that record will be another one of those absurd Bison stats. Who was that QB they had in between those guys... oh yeah Carson Wentz.

unbison
01-11-2018, 10:08 AM
But todays kids are softer, with all their concussion protocol BS, limited contact in practices, and fancy energy drinks on the sideline. Bull in a ring? Dead. They probably don't even drink beer or haze the rooks anymore. Look at PL and CAS -- 4 years of college FB and they turned out ok.

Could you please find better examples of being ok

bisonp
01-11-2018, 01:02 PM
No point in playing the "What if" game. What matters most is that we DID lose several key players to injury this year, and still put up ridiculous stats.

I think back to a conversation I had with a JSU fan in Frisco before the game - his son was on the team. We were both talking about how much we were enjoying our trip (first time for both of us), and I said I hoped to have a chance to come back. He said "Oh, you'll be back - I looked at y'all's roster!"

NDSU has had some great players during this run, but I think the biggest factor in their continued consistency has been depth. It doesn't seem to matter who gets injured they just keep on going.

wagsabison
01-11-2018, 01:10 PM
NDSU has had some great players during this run, but I think the biggest factor in their continued consistency has been depth. It doesn't seem to matter who gets injured they just keep on going.

Seems like past years we'd lose a guy or two throughout the year and someone would step up. This year there were all kinds of injuries that would have crushed many teams. The O-line and D-line stayed relatively healthy and had good depth, that was a major factor.

OrygunBison
01-11-2018, 03:18 PM
Seems like past years we'd lose a guy or two throughout the year and someone would step up. This year there were all kinds of injuries that would have crushed many teams. The O-line and D-line stayed relatively healthy and had good depth, that was a major factor.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. I know that we've had significant injuries every year during the run but every week this year, I felt like I was wondering when the bug would stop. And it never really eased up. There are about a dozen teams in all of college football, and none other at the FCS level, that would have been able to sustain excellence. It is not just depth, it is culture. The young guys are not simply waiting for their turn.

And, yeah, I still believe that the stats from this team would have looked even more absurd had they only dealt with a "normal" amount of injuries, season ending or otherwise. Not that it matters. The hardware is still in Fargo.

NoDak
01-12-2018, 12:36 PM

To me WIU losing Taylor is a bigger loss than QB/WR, maybe even coach.

NoDak
01-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Stick's got a shot at the Jensen record as crazy as that is. Having them 1 - 2 on that record will be another one of those absurd Bison stats. Who was that QB they had in between those guys... oh yeah Carson Wentz.

I often joke about Jensen that when Wentz came in the game people got "nervous." He was just SO steady, such a leader and would find a way to win. Stick doesn't have Wentz's arm but he reminds me of Jensen in that I have faith he will do just enough to win the game.

NDSUKurt
01-15-2018, 01:07 AM
I often joke about Jensen that when Wentz came in the game people got "nervous." He was just SO steady, such a leader and would find a way to win. Stick doesn't have Wentz's arm but he reminds me of Jensen in that I have faith he will do just enough to win the game.

I agree with this statement 100%. I would give Stick the better ability to run the ball, especially breakaway speed.

BisonNeil
01-16-2018, 08:26 PM
The only slight modification I would suggest is that in the 'overall' stat spreadsheet near the bottom (third from bottom) in "opponents red zone TD %" 2013 is highlighted with 44.4%, but 2017 also had 44.4% so the two years are tied. In other situations when two years were tied, they are both highlighted. However, an insignificant modification given the overall quality of what you have put together!!!!

Professor Chaos
01-16-2018, 09:22 PM
The only slight modification I would suggest is that in the 'overall' stat spreadsheet near the bottom (third from bottom) in "opponents red zone TD %" 2013 is highlighted with 44.4%, but 2017 also had 44.4% so the two years are tied. In other situations when two years were tied, they are both highlighted. However, an insignificant modification given the overall quality of what you have put together!!!!
Yeah, I did notice that after looking at it after I had already posted it. I deemed it too small to justify re-uploading a new image with the extra highlighted cell. :)

thebootfitter
01-21-2018, 03:02 AM
Yeah, I did notice that after looking at it after I had already posted it. I deemed it too small to justify re-uploading a new image with the extra highlighted cell. :)If it was formula driven, it's possible that one more decimal place would show 2013 ahead anyway. Thanks for putting it together. Good stuff!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

HerdBot
01-21-2018, 04:09 AM
Wow what a rushing attack!! That is the best rushing attack in our D1 history. 48 rushing TDs are you kidding me! Still seems like our rushing game was more explosive but still struggles at times on 1st down but these numbers are insane

As far as passing goes, Brock Jensens senior year was absolutely dominant. Hopefully Easton saves his best for last.

Defense was incredible. I hope everyone appreciated just how epic it was to have DeLuca and Cox on the field at the same time. Our safeties were ball hawks. Our corners played well all season. Front 4 was insanely good vs the run and started to peak late in the year and get pressure

On paper this is the best team statistically but I would still take the 2013 team because they went undefeated and beat Kansas State. And didn't lose to SDSU.

Professor Chaos
01-21-2018, 02:15 PM
If it was formula driven, it's possible that one more decimal place would show 2013 ahead anyway. Thanks for putting it together. Good stuff!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It isn't. :)

I could've done that I'm sure with some conditional formatting but I just eyeballed it and highlighted the best year in each category manually. I just missed that one.