PDA

View Full Version : Championship TV Ratings

gumby013
01-09-2018, 03:06 PM
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-rating-1-6-7-2018.html

1.515M viewers...actually lower than last year with 1.563M

HerdistheWord
01-09-2018, 03:10 PM
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekend-sports-tv-rating-1-6-7-2018.html

1.515M viewers...actually lower than last year with 1.563M

I saw literally no advertising for this game whatsoever. Also, last year, there were a few extra bison fans that weren't at the game to watch it on TV. ESPN could have spent a little promotiin on the revenge factor and played up the dominance of both teams to set up a clash of the FCS titans feel for this game. Missed opportunities by them.

HerdThat!
01-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Do the numbers include those streaming? Looks like almost entirely across the board numbers are down from the previous year. Plus, most of our viewers were down there watching it live lol

gumby013
01-09-2018, 03:13 PM
I saw literally no advertising for this game whatsoever. Also, last year, there were a few extra bison fans that weren't at the game to watch it on TV. ESPN could have spent a little promotiin on the revenge factor and played up the dominance of both teams to set up a clash of the FCS titans feel for this game. Missed opportunities by them.

Also cord cutting is more prevalent this year. Streaming services are not counted in the numbers.

moosbah
01-09-2018, 03:32 PM
IMO the cuts at ESPN really showed this year. Less promotion, etc. The game seemed to be more of an afterthought than usual.

bisonmike2
01-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Carson Wentz, with his tweet telling followers to check out the game, did more to promote the championship game than ESPN or the NCAA did. That is pathetic. Why they don't run at least 1 commercial during their 18 different channels and millions of hours of programming is insane.

HerdBot
01-09-2018, 03:55 PM
After the NFL Playoff game KC/Tennesee it was the 2nd most watched show on all the ESPN networks on Saturday

And streaming numbers are not included which these days are probably equal to the live tv

MankatoBison
01-09-2018, 03:56 PM
interesting. Does anyone know how they calculate viewing online? How do they account for all of the moochers who watch off someone else's tv login?

Professor Chaos
01-09-2018, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure what all the bellyaching is about, that's the most watched FCS title game the Bison have ever played in.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?35283-NDSU-Football-TV-Ratings

As for why last year was higher that's a good question. The 10-15k Bison fans down in Frisco rather than watching the game doesn't move the needle. Maybe it was the Pelini Effect??? :rofl:

JMB
01-09-2018, 04:48 PM
Question of the day: Would the game draw more attention if it were branded as a "bowl game", something like the "Toyota FCS Championship Bowl"? This time of year people are associating college football with bowls, wonder if that would peak some more interest? (Granted the 11 AM start isn't an ideal time either).

Professor Chaos
01-09-2018, 04:56 PM
Question of the day: Would the game draw more attention if it were branded as a "bowl game", something like the "Toyota FCS Championship Bowl"? This time of year people are associating college football with bowls, wonder if that would peak some more interest? (Granted the 11 AM start isn't an ideal time either).
Nah, there are existing crappy bowl games that get worse viewership than the FCS natty: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

If ESPN would show the FCS championship game on the mothership instead of the deuce like they do for every damn bowl game they broadcast except for the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day I think that would go a long way towards really showing how the FCS championship game would stack up with most of the mid-tier bowls. This year the FCS title game on ESPN2 beat 5 bowl games that were all on ESPN (including the Frisco Bowl). Put the game on ESPN and I think a conservative bet is you'd get ~2M viewers which would've beaten 3-5 more bowl games.

Bottom line I don't think being separate from the bowls hurts ratings for the FCS championship game and, personally, I'd prefer the game not be lumped in with garbage like the Tire City Autocare Bowl.

tony
01-09-2018, 05:00 PM

Nor is ESPN2 (although NDSU-JMU got better ratings than the MBB on ESPN AND CBS did.)

FCS game should be on ESPN at 12:30 with a 30 minute preview (by "should", I mean "well, it makes sense to me.") SDSU @ NDSU on ESPN in the quarters got 2 million.

bisonmike2
01-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Scruffy Duffies/Tight Ends FCS Championship Bowl?

Hammerhead
01-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Nor is ESPN2 (although NDSU-JMU got better ratings than the MBB on ESPN AND CBS did.)

FCS game should be on ESPN at 12:30 with a 30 minute preview (by "should", I mean "well, it makes sense to me.") SDSU @ NDSU on ESPN in the quarters got 2 million.

And the pregame should focus on the FCS playoffs and not have a segment about the upcoming FBS championship game.

Bisonator98
01-10-2018, 02:17 AM
Nah, there are existing crappy bowl games that get worse viewership than the FCS natty: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

If ESPN would show the FCS championship game on the mothership instead of the deuce like they do for every damn bowl game they broadcast except for the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day I think that would go a long way towards really showing how the FCS championship game would stack up with most of the mid-tier bowls. This year the FCS title game on ESPN2 beat 5 bowl games that were all on ESPN (including the Frisco Bowl). Put the game on ESPN and I think a conservative bet is you'd get ~2M viewers which would've beaten 3-5 more bowl games.

Bottom line I don't think being separate from the bowls hurts ratings for the FCS championship game and, personally, I'd prefer the game not be lumped in with garbage like the Tire City Autocare Bowl.

This. I've never understood how ESPN or any other network sets their programming. They put figure skating on the main ABC network and stick a championship football game on the deuce? Are they just trying to get more viewers on their second rate networks and put garbage on the main channels because they know poors can't watch anything else so they will always have viewers.

El_Chapo
01-10-2018, 02:43 AM
Ill let you know the local numbers next week.

Christopher Moen
01-10-2018, 03:42 AM
This. I've never understood how ESPN or any other network sets their programming. They put figure skating on the main ABC network and stick a championship football game on the deuce? Are they just trying to get more viewers on their second rate networks and put garbage on the main channels because they know poors can't watch anything else so they will always have viewers.

Depends if figure skating is paying them (ESPN) to have their event on their network.

We’ve (USA Wrestling) done this quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56BISON73
01-10-2018, 03:45 AM

I dont think branding would have as much of an effect as advertising the game. They dont make it known that this game is even on the radar. Now if they were to advertise and rebrand it to a championship bowl game then you would see an increase of viewership.

mtoutfitter
01-10-2018, 03:52 AM
I dont think branding would have as much of an effect as advertising the game. They dont make it known that this game is even on the radar. Now if they were to advertise and rebrand it to a championship bowl game then you would see an increase of viewership.

Agree 100% PL....wish they would advertise just a bit.

bisonaudit
01-10-2018, 05:13 AM
Depends if figure skating is paying them (ESPN) to have their event on their network.

We’ve (USA Wrestling) done this quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Winter Olympics are in less than two months. Figure skating is on the network because a shit ton of people watch it every 4th January and February.

acf2
01-16-2018, 09:27 PM
The Winter Olympics are in less than two months. Figure skating is on the network because a shit ton of people watch it every 4th January and February.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2018/01/college-basketball-ratings-fcs-pga-figure-skating/

It seems people do watch Figure Skating.

Edit: FCS championship was the most watched sports broadcast in its timeslot.

BisonNeil
01-16-2018, 09:51 PM
NFL playoff games way down in viewers, FCS playoff not off substantially. There is no issue.

Professorbum
01-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Maybe since it was FCS, and no matter what, was never going to have more than a million or so viewers, ESPN just didn't give a shit.

KNOW IT ALL
01-17-2018, 02:56 PM
It doesn't help ratings when the week prior there are 40 bowl games on TV for a week or more prior to the FCS title game. The NFL was down last weekend 20% from last year alone. I guess if your to FN stupid to stand for your own national anthem, much of the public isn't stupid enough to watch, Bro!

Twentysix
01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Question of the day: Would the game draw more attention if it were branded as a "bowl game", something like the "Toyota FCS Championship Bowl"? This time of year people are associating college football with bowls, wonder if that would peak some more interest? (Granted the 11 AM start isn't an ideal time either).*9am start for the 55 million of us in Pacific time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

td577
01-21-2018, 07:29 AM

I don't think 11 AM hurts TV ratings. People watching on TV are either fans of the two teams or are college football fans where it is a bonus to be having college football on at all that day and even more of a bonus it is on that early.