PDA

View Full Version : Cole Davis.... Bison LEGEND??

MankatoBison
01-08-2018, 10:02 PM
You read that right- LEGEND! Well, at least to me...

Many players have etched their way into Bison-lore by their accomplishments on the field, and some have even done so through the impact they had on others off the field (think Dutch Destroyer). But rarely I would argue, have many players been recognized as heroes by what they have given to their team on the sidelines. I don't need to convince any of you of selfless dedication Cole has given to this team. We all know Cole could have easily packed up and become a legend at another FCS or DII school, but Cole stuck it out. Why? "Those who stay will be champions".

As I stormed the field after Saturday's National Championship, and after the trophy had been presented, I felt compelled to find and thank #7 before any of our other incredible players. I'm not sure what any of you will think of my little manifesto here, but to me, Cole Davis is an unblemished embodiment of Bison Pride. Coach Klieman himself has difficulty describing the Bison-Pride 'it-factor', however I think that #7 defines it better than we ever could. A 'kid', committing to a legacy far greater than himself, forsaking all glory and recognition in the process. Selfless, determined, dedicated, faithful, self-sacrificing... Legendary.

I find myself wishing there was something I could do to commemorate Cole and all the Bison like Cole in some way. In the same way that the '12' is commensurate with Seattle Seahawks fans, I feel that #7, at least to me, is now inseparable from the unsung heroes who make the Bison who they are. I know that I am no one and my ramblings will likely never mean anything to anyone, but to all Bison fans out there, I offer this cogitation: the next time we get to experience another thrilling bison moment, a touchdown, an interception, another video clip of our offensive linemen throwing around opposing cornerbacks like children- think of all the #7s who made that moment possible. Without them, there would be no 14 championships, no college gameday, no frisco, no "Bison-Pride"...

So I raise a toast to Cole Davis. Bison Legend.
To every #7 who has made this program legendary, and to all the #7's yet to come, Bison Nation thanks you.

StL Bison Fan
01-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Many players have etched their way into Bison-lore by their accomplishments on the field, and some have even done so through the impact they had on others off the field (think Dutch Destroyer). But rarely I would argue, have many players been recognized as heroes by what they have given to their team on the sidelines. I don't need to convince any of you of selfless dedication Cole has given to this team. We all know Cole could have easily packed up and become a legend at another FCS or DII school, but Cole stuck it out. Why? "Those who stay will be champions".

As I stormed the field after Saturday's National Championship, and after the trophy had been presented, I felt compelled to find and thank #7 before any of our other incredible players. I'm not sure what any of you will think of my little manifesto here, but to me, Cole Davis is an unblemished embodiment of Bison Pride. Coach Klieman himself has difficulty describing the Bison-Pride 'it-factor', however I think that #7 defines it better than we ever could. A 'kid', committing to a legacy far greater than himself, forsaking all glory and recognition in the process. Selfless, determined, dedicated, faithful, self-sacrificing... Legendary.

I find myself wishing there was something I could do to commemorate Cole and all the Bison like Cole in some way. In the same way that the '12' is commensurate with Seattle Seahawks fans, I feel that #7, at least to me, is now inseparable from the unsung heroes who make the Bison who they are. I know that I am no one and my ramblings will likely never mean anything to anyone, but to all Bison fans out there, I offer this cogitation: the next time we get to experience another thrilling bison moment, a touchdown, an interception, another video clip of our offensive linemen throwing around opposing cornerbacks like children- think of all the #7s who made that moment possible. Without them, there would be no 14 championships, no college gameday, no frisco, no "Bison-Pride"...

To every #7 who has made this program legendary, and to all the #7's yet to come, Bison Nation thanks you.

Cole is the definition of Team
It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit. Harry S Truman

Rixen
01-08-2018, 10:08 PM
Hear Hear!

Catman
01-08-2018, 10:08 PM

Dilly Dilly

Tony Almeida
01-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Cole Davis is the man!

CaBisonFan
01-08-2018, 10:39 PM
.....yup.....

GreenfieldBison
01-08-2018, 10:44 PM
So well said Mankato. Culture. Cole Davis is the human embodiment of a central aspect of this thing that differentiates this program from nearly all the others. You have so eloquently expressed that which is so central to the success (IMHO) of this program and what drives its ability to sustain that success. Those so very unselfish members who favor the ONLY name on our jerseys. I dearly love to watch the special talents of those who are good enough to make the field. But I have no doubt that they are able to go out and give their all without regard to downside while knowing that there is a Cole Davis who is right behind them and ready to step up and fill their shoes should they fall.

I second the toast to all the Cole Davis' of this very special program and I am so very happy to be affiliated with all of you as an NDSU alum.

NodakGreg
01-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Right On! Can't say anything else. Cole was Carsons Backup, then came the future Mr.Stick and Cole new he would not get the knod, but hung in there, now that takes the cake for being selfless, and TEAM through and through. Not many college players would do that, and say I'm out of here, but winning Championships and the bigger picture continued to be Coles focus, and I can't blame him for staying and just being there if needed through 4 years and 3 different QBs in front of him.
Thank you for doing this Thread. Your so RIGHT! It takes players to know where they are needed, know their roles, and never get upset just want to be part of the success and maybe someday get a chance is amazing....I was one of those players my senior year in High School for our STATE runners up basketball team. A Role Player! I worked my butt off made the team was the 7th or 8th man off the bench, I was the Best shooter on the team, but, didn't have the speed or big enough to play inside with the big boys, would gladly except playing more but was there IF NEEDED. I would see myself like Cole Davis.

The sacrifice to be a bison football player is not like DII football or DIII. Your next 5 years are owned to NDSU, but the reward is SUCCESS at the highest level!
As Esley Thorton (former QB turned LInebacker) said back in 2014 after the 4th championship, he had nothing left in his tank or a urge in the Fall of 2015 to play any more football. He was burnt out.This guy was a rock store in HSchool. BBall first play in Regional Basketball Tourney was a slam dunk off the tip ball, this guy was a winner in all he did, QB for ND team playing Montana's team in annual High School All-Star game and ND won 45-41 in a shootout. Its the last time ND team won verses Montana Team. 2010. Won't ever happen either, it should stop. Its a slaughter!

Successful people do what unsuccessful people are unwilling to do in life.....that's the difference. Be all in or not! NDSU is just amazing in positive energy and that equates to success throughout all their student athletes and beyond....

Congrats Bison on #6, and setting the Bar on being a top 20 FBS Team in the nation by my eyes!

Nodak Greg!

EC8CH
01-08-2018, 10:50 PM
Yes Cole Davis is a bison legend because:

The strength of the herd is the bison, and the strength of the bison is the herd.

Bison Gal
01-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Count me in as a Cole Davis fan. Fantastic post!

Bison bison
01-08-2018, 11:45 PM
Dont know about legend. But he's a Bison and a champion.

BisonFanAnn
01-08-2018, 11:58 PM
I've been saying essentially the same thing all season. The fact that he wanted to stick it out at NDSU as a backup says a lot about our program - but says a lot more about that young man. I wish he could have gotten into the game at the end.

EC8CH
01-09-2018, 12:27 AM
Chris Board has also shown amazing dedication. Stayed through a position change all the while giving it his all on special teams. Glad he really became a key starter a LB.

bri-dog
01-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Also guys like Esley Thorton (mentioned above, who spend 2 years at his original position), Bryce Messner (3 years), and James Hendricks (2 years) before switching to another position. Not only to provide much-needed depth, but all 3 ended up in starting roles at some point. All moving from offense to defense or vice-versa.

There are more, but these come to mind. Seems to me that this type of unselfishness is pretty common in the Bison program.

BisonAccountant44
01-09-2018, 12:49 AM
Or, maybe there's another explanation. I mean who wouldn't want to be the backup?

http://youtu.be/fRfqUldhtuE

Seriously though, thanks Cole!

MAKBison
01-09-2018, 12:50 AM
Those who stay will be Champions

westnodak93bison
01-09-2018, 04:28 AM
Those who stay will be ChampionsExactly. I admire his dedication to the program.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gary Hansen
01-09-2018, 04:34 AM
Dilly Dilly...Thank you, Cole! Pure embodiment of Bison Pride. That guy could have won it, if needed. Will not be forgotten.🤘

wagsabison
01-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Your thanking him is recognition enough. I'm sure he appreciated it. Absolutely respect the guy for sticking it out even though he knew he wasn't going to be the guy.

thunderingherd
01-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Thread should be renamed "Bison Legends"

Is Erik Olson, Keenan Hodenfield, Daniel Polansky Legends? or is the backup QB the most popular player on every team, as they say?

VirginiaBison
01-09-2018, 01:57 PM
Well, there you go. Finally a tangible answer to the question: What is Bison Pride? Answer: #7 Cole Davis.

Can you describe Bison Pride? Yes, #7, Cole Davis. Or How do you define Bison Pride? Well, #7 Cole Davis.

runtheoption
01-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Bryce Messner (3 years) How many different positions/roles did he play? 3,4? Defensive tackle, H-Back/TE/FB, Guard, Offensive Tackle? Straight up football player.

MankatoBison
01-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Well, there you go. Finally a tangible answer to the question: What is Bison Pride? Answer: #7 Cole Davis.

Can you describe Bison Pride? Yes, #7, Cole Davis. Or How do you define Bison Pride? Well, #7 Cole Davis.

haha, okay I made it pretty clear that it is all players LIKE him. the thankless players who give their all for the team. a proverbial #7, not just Cole Davis haha

IBleedYellow
01-09-2018, 02:36 PM
https://twitter.com/bethhooleVNL/status/950108601913434115

bisonfanette
01-09-2018, 03:16 PM

Very nice. Very true! Congratulations Cole!!!

phxbison
01-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Thanks for your contributions Cole. And thanks to all the other Cole Davis' that have contributed throughout the years !

KNOW IT ALL
01-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Cole Davis turned JMU's 2017' FCS Title trophy into a case of Bud Light!!!! DILLY DILLY!!!:offtopic:

Mr Meaty
01-09-2018, 09:49 PM
Cole Davis and the rest of the backup along with starters all get it. You play for the brother next to you and the name on the front of the jersey. It is called a team. Every person on the roster has their part to do.

56BISON73
01-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Even though I agree with most of the Op I dont think I would go as far to say he would have been a legend at some other school.

I also think there are another 20-30 players on the team that never sniff the playing field during the season. Yet they stick it out all year as well.

Can you imagine KNOWING that you are not going see any playing time but stay with the team because they love the game and to help make them better by being a scout team player. Those are the guys that should be admired.

Bisonator98
01-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Every year there are 5-10 seniors that have stayed on the team with minimal playing time or none at all. Everyone of them is an integral part of the Bison football team. Unsung individuals who appreciate that a football team is the sum of it's whole not an individual or a few star players. Football is the epitome of a team sport. The strength of the herd is the Bison and the strength of the Bison is the herd.

1st&TennBison
01-09-2018, 11:25 PM
To Cole Davis and all the others just like him present and past. Ditto on the Dilly Dilly.

BISONFAN4LIFE
01-10-2018, 12:43 AM
Reminds me of when Earl Solmonson talked about Gary Barta after the 86 season. He said you can't win without guys like him. I was only 15 at the time but will never forget it.

56BISON73
01-10-2018, 01:30 AM
Reminds me of when Earl Solmonson talked about Gary Barta after the 86 season. He said you can't win without guys like him. I was only 15 at the time but will never forget it.

Didnt Barta actually play? Wasnt he a starter?

roadwarrior
01-10-2018, 02:33 AM
Didnt Barta actually play? Wasnt he a starter?

Barta and Bentrim were seniors in 86. Bentrim started all of the games from midway in his freshman season until he graduated unless he was injured.

56BISON73
01-10-2018, 03:38 AM
Barta and Bentrim were seniors in 86. Bentrim started all of the games from midway in his freshman season until he graduated unless he was injured.

Thanks.................

reformedUNDfan
01-10-2018, 06:44 AM

pretty sure Easton was injured enough at some points in 2016 that Cole shoulda gotten some starts.

VirginiaBison
06-20-2018, 08:40 PM
Looks like Cole Davis found a post grad job ...

"Wentz tabs his former backup to help lead foundation"

FTA: Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz hired his former backup at North Dakota State to help lead his A01 Foundation. Operating AO1 is a three-man job between Wentz, his brother Zach Wentz and Cole Davis. Davis’ job as director of operations carries a multitude of responsibilities with fundraising and organizing various events at the top of the list. Davis graduated from NDSU last December and finished his career less than a month later with the Division I FCS national title win over James Madison.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?39053-Cole-Davis-Bison-LEGEND&highlight=cole+davis

tony
06-20-2018, 09:08 PM
Looks like Cole Davis found a post grad job ...

Nice! Great experience right out of college.

HerdBot
06-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Here's an interview that was on Bison 1660 with Cole talking about his new position
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/former-ndsu-qb-cole-davis-on-the-insiders-friday-june-22nd