PDA

View Full Version : A Look Ahead to 2018 Depth

Jay
01-07-2018, 06:02 PM
No better time to start talking about 2018! Spring Ball about 8 weeks away. Questions for me:

QB - the battle to back up Easton and set up an even bigger battle for 2019.
What RB transfers out. I fully expect at least one to move on. We're just too deep there. Dunn/Anderson/Brooks/Wilson + Purifoy/Cofield. Just not enough carries.
Who steps up and helps fill RJ's shoes? Expect Dimitri to get first crack. R-Fr Christian Watson could be that guy. Or with another year under his belt, does Desmond get it going?
TE... my oh my. So deep.
OL... who fills in for Kuhnert... both physically and mentally. He brings the tough guy attitude. I expect Luke Bacon to jump into the mix. Need others to step up and add rotational depth.
We're loaded at DE. That is all.
LB - We should be pretty solid here if everyone is healthy. Does Mercadel take another step from being a ST headhunter to getting into the rotation?
We're locked in at corner and should be really good if healthy. Bridges looks like an all-conference type player with the progressions he's made. Get Allison and Wimbush back we're good.
Tre will be giant shoes to fill. Leader of the team, best safety in the country. My grid below could change a lot with this position. Robbie is penciled in.. who comes in opposite. Does Jaxon Brown elevate his game from ST? James Hendricks keeps his thing going. Michael Tutsie gets into the rotation as a R-Fr.
Maybe the quietest biggest spot to fill is LS. I've heard Kennelly messes around there, unsure if that's the plan or if they've got something else in the mix.

gumby013
01-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Wilson can red shirt if the RB depth is too much.

CAS4127
01-07-2018, 06:10 PM

Don’t think he can RS anymore. Played in too many games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay
01-07-2018, 06:17 PM

He can still RS. He's got four years to play three still. I wouldn't expect him too though.

CAS4127
01-07-2018, 06:20 PM
He can still RS. He's got four years to play three still. I wouldn't expect him too though.

Oh, gotcha. And agree—he is going to be a good one.

roadwarrior
01-07-2018, 06:28 PM
Punter? We need to find a good one.

Jay
01-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Punter? We need to find a good one.

Garret Wegner will be the punter (unless something crazy happens). He was Wisconsin's Kevin Stemke winner in 2015 for most outstanding punter/kicker. (had one punt yesterday into what wind there was)

coloradobison
01-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Garret Wegner will be the punter (unless something crazy happens). He was Wisconsin's Kevin Stemke winner in 2015 for most outstanding punter/kicker. (had one punt yesterday into what wind there was)

that punt didnt instill a lot of confidence for me going into next year....

mtoutfitter
01-07-2018, 06:47 PM

What's the inside info on his leg....better than Kounce? I surely hope so....

Jay
01-07-2018, 07:03 PM

http://www.kohlsnews.com/news/video-kicker-garrett-wegner-hits-54-yard-field-goal

High School kicker Garrett Wegner (http://kohlskicking.com/profile/garret-wegner/12641/) connects on a 54-yard field goal breaking a Lodi High School record. The kicker put through 2 out of 3 attempts also making a 36-yarder. Wegner is currently ranked as the No.11 punter in the nation for the class of 2016 by Kohl's Kicking Camps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viRHgm00tVg

MontBison
01-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Couldn't be much worse....

AKBison

This was my first reaction, but I think he is too valuable now. He has the best hands in the RB room and could be valuable in a scatback type /change of pace roll with Brooks who seems to be a bit injury prone. It would also allow Brooks to start fielding kickoffs, something he could be flat deadly at. Besides, in that position who knows, it would be nice to have that redshirt in your back pocket if you encountered a season ending injury later on like Deluca, Menard, Vraa, et.

MAKBison

pulled a hammie or groin according to some family member types that we talked to at airport

MAKBison
01-07-2018, 07:11 PM

yes he can still rs....i doubt he does tho

steelbison
01-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Going to be our best team since 2013. Just loaded! Plus a ton of young talent. Would be shocked if we lost a game. Should dominate.

mtoutfitter
01-07-2018, 07:14 PM
My money is on Purifoy or Cofield to transfer.

Christopher Moen
01-07-2018, 07:15 PM

Dunn and Bruce also have a RS option.

Also, Cofield and Purifoy will be back too.

mtoutfitter
01-07-2018, 07:24 PM
Dunn and Bruce also have a RS option.

Also, Cofield and Purifoy will be back too.

I believe only Anderson has that option as I'm thinking Dunn already used his RS yr.

Putz
01-07-2018, 07:36 PM

I don't have any inside in of other than watching him in warmups. I was impressed with his leg, seemed to consistently outkick Koonce. Being able to do that in a game is obviously a much tougher task. I'm hoping he's up to it.

Christopher Moen
01-07-2018, 08:17 PM
I believe only Anderson has that option as I'm thinking Dunn already used his RS yr.

They both came in the same year and began playing as true Freshmen.

Jay
01-07-2018, 08:18 PM
They both came in the same year and began playing as true Freshmen.

Lance Dunn RS in 2014. Bruce got here in '15.

Winning is Gr8
01-07-2018, 08:18 PM
The biggest concern to me is LB (Nick is a huge loss) We have 3 with experience (Levi, Cox and Marlette) but i think we need at least 3 more to step up.

Could Wimbush move to FS. I think Allison and Bridges will be starting CB next year.

Agree- Frisco or bust next year and hope lots of blow outs to get youth some reps for 19 as we lose a ton after next year.

noryan34
01-07-2018, 08:57 PM
The biggest concern to me is LB (Nick is a huge loss) We have 3 with experience (Levi, Cox and Marlette) but i think we need at least 3 more to step up.

Could Wimbush move to FS. I think Allison and Bridges will be starting CB next year.

Agree- Frisco or bust next year and hope lots of blow outs to get youth some reps for 19 as we lose a ton after next year.
Depth at LB might be an issue. They will rely on two guys that had major injuries this year. Leader for the defense will need to emerge as they lose their vocal and silent leaders in Dempsey and Deluca.

Other than replacing a 4 year pstsrting Ls will be pretty important. And need couple WR to emerge as Shep seems to always have nagging injuries Williams and Cain have shown flashes so hoping they take the next step. The rest I would feel fairly confident they can have guys step up. Always seem to have good OL waiting in the wings. An depth at QB will be huge as well as we seen Stick was limited by the coaches for fear of injury due to no backup

Christopher Moen
01-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Lance Dunn RS in 2014. Bruce got here in '15.

I stand corrected then.

Twincitybizon
01-07-2018, 09:04 PM
In limited game time I think Mercadel looks great! I bet he jumps into the starting rotation next year in a substantial way

IBleedYellow
01-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Holy crap y'all are dicks to Jackson Koonce.

I'm 99.99% sure he was injured yesterday. He never punted nearly that bad all year. Was there some to be desired? Yes, but holy crap y'all....

BisonHorns
01-07-2018, 09:29 PM
I remember thinking the last punt of the game was the best of the game. Didn't find out until later that it was a different kicker. I'll take it.

GOBISON123
01-07-2018, 10:05 PM

I'm 99.99% sure he was injured yesterday. He never punted nearly that bad all year. Was there some to be desired? Yes, but holy crap y'all....

Not good during the SHSU the semi-finals game

Bisonator98
01-08-2018, 12:38 AM

I think he's had 1 maybe 2 good games. Other then that it's been sky high and 35 yards every time. I'll also say we need a new special teams coach because yesterday was unacceptable.

Gully
01-08-2018, 12:58 AM
In limited game time I think Mercadel looks great! I bet he jumps into the starting rotation next year in a substantial way

Agreed. He plays fast and I hope he sees more action next year.

BisonHorns
01-08-2018, 01:03 AM
Koonce was kicking hurt. His first kick made it all the way across the field but he got hit after the ball left. Never the same after that. He is a part of this championship run and will be remembered for helping the team.

Bison20
01-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Koonce was kicking hurt. His first kick made it all the way across the field but he got hit after the ball left. Never the same after that. He is a part of this championship run and will be remembered for helping the team.

He hasn't been good for the 2 years he was here for flipping the field. On pooch kicks he did decent job pinning teams but could never flip the field when needed. They showed his stats for punting and he had the 9th best average in the mvfc so that shows he's not a good punter.

awBison
01-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Will there be a good field of receivers? It seems like we will be weak in this area losing RJ. Sure could a couple RJs and Vras. Those guys could catch anything close to them.

Bison20
01-08-2018, 01:47 AM

I think he has shown flashes of being a good player but no way he starts ahead of a healthy marlette, jordheim, or cox. How about Jack begely, has anyone heard how his red shirt year went?

ZHerd
01-08-2018, 03:16 AM
My take on next year's squad: returning QB with solid experience and I have a hunch that the depth situation will be excellent. RB is loaded but I would honestly be happy to see a Brooks/Anderson show. Depth is unreal with Dunn being good and Wilson I think will become a great all situation back. I think he was really impressive running and receiving as a true freshman. O-line I think will miss Kuhnert but overall (with experience and great young talent) will maybe be better. WR- I love RJ but I am not worried about much drop off here. Lots of returning talent and I think Watson will be an immediate impact. He looks really fast and athletic. Also the TE will pick up any WR drop off and then some. I have another hunch that, even losing some good Sr TE's, we are about to see the best TE unit Bison fans have seen. Overall the offense has a definite up arrow.

Defense: DE is as loaded and skilled as I've seen in an NDSU DE unit. I like Butler and I'm excited to get Menard back but little Tuska has impressed me all year and it's really exciting the way he stepped up yesterday on the big stage against elite competition. He was basically beating double teams on some of those plays. He could be in for a monster 2018. Also you just know that one or more of the 3 freshmen from this last class will look great as well. DT- lose a couple good players and the depth will be interesting to see unfold. I'm not concerned about this unit but if I recall, they have had some recruiting attrition over the past few seasons. Who will step up as an interior disrupter next year? Question mark, but not really worry on this unit. LB- I love Deluca but I'm not worried about this unit at all. Marlette was a big time play maker/game changer before he was injured. Honestly in those couple games he looked all Americanish. Cox is experienced and may be bigger/faster and the depth fighting for the other side looked really good. That unit may take a few games but they will be elite. CB- I am worried somewhat here because it is the position that maybe hasn't been recruited up to par with other positions but I think Allison and Bridges will be solid but I worry about depth. Bridges is the best cb on this team and looks like the kind of playmaker that will get into QB's heads. S-I love Dempsey but this unit will be solid. Grimsley has turned into a good player and Jaxon Brown looks really athletic...plus still have Hendricks and other unknowns...that unit will be fine. Overall, defense also gets an up arrow...which is amazing with losing a guy like Nick and Nate as well.

Special teams: I agree with others, it's just plain time to get serious about the punting game, and also the return game. I get having guys that are just safe catching the ball but they are just not impacting games. Time to get better playmakers back there or get better blocking schemes or something. Overall- up arrow because I would imagine that is all going to get more attention going into next year.
In short: 2018 NDSU could very well be better

NDSU German from Russia
01-08-2018, 03:17 AM
Things I'm looking forward to next season:

-Easton Stick's leadership vibe
-Volsom Roadgrading Incorporated
-Cox putting on more speed & muscle (circa Bruce last 2 years)
-Mess and Stick further scheming
-Greg Menard & Tuska 2.0 on the ends
-Our fleet of RB's
-Noah Gindorf in the mix
-Desmond Cain emerging into RJ spot
-24 seniors for fall of 2018. Yikes.

Like everyone, I'm a little concerned with LB situation. Hoping Marlette and Jordheim are full speed & fully healed. Mercedel always plays fast.....not sure how young guys are developing.

what a season for 2017. Way to go guys!

scbison91
01-08-2018, 03:29 AM

-Our fleet of RB's
-Noah Gindorf in the mix

Like everyone, I'm a little concerned with LB situation. Hoping Marlette and Jordheim are full speed & fully healed. Mercedel always plays fast.....not sure how young guys are developing.

what a season for 2017. Way to go guys! Dom reported yesterday Cain was warming up with CB... He didn't take any snaps as WR either...

Christopher Moen
01-08-2018, 03:53 AM

-Our fleet of RB's
-Noah Gindorf in the mix

what a season for 2017. Way to go guys!

Looking forward to seeing Dillon Radunz come back 100%. Having him back at LT will solidify one of the Guard positions with Colin Conner moving back.

BFKasper14
01-08-2018, 04:19 AM
What would be the odds of seeing a RB (I’m thinking Wilson) get put in a slot receiver spot a la Ryan Smith? Smith came in as a RB and ended up being one of the best receivers to wear a Bison uniform.

Bison56
01-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Dom reported yesterday Cain was warming up with CB... He didn't take any snaps as WR either...

I might be wrong but I believe he was originally recruited out of HS to play CB.

EC8CH
01-08-2018, 12:20 PM
What would be the odds of seeing a RB (I’m thinking Wilson) get put in a slot receiver spot a la Ryan Smith? Smith came in as a RB and ended up being one of the best receivers to wear a Bison uniform.

Think Williams already fills that roll so I would doubt it.

EagleBison
01-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Depth at LB might be an issue. They will rely on two guys that had major injuries this year. Leader for the defense will need to emerge as they lose their vocal and silent leaders in Dempsey and Deluca.

Other than replacing a 4 year pstsrting Ls will be pretty important. And need couple WR to emerge as Shep seems to always have nagging injuries Williams and Cain have shown flashes so hoping they take the next step. The rest I would feel fairly confident they can have guys step up. Always seem to have good OL waiting in the wings. An depth at QB will be huge as well as we seen Stick was limited by the coaches for fear of injury due to no backup

Somebody said Cain was working with Dbacks during warm-ups. Would he switch over like Bridges?

TAILG8R
01-08-2018, 01:08 PM
I wonder if Cain at DB was precautionary for this game. It tells me more about the health of our other DBs for the game than about his future here.

AKBison
01-08-2018, 01:20 PM
My take on next year's squad: returning QB with solid experience and I have a hunch that the depth situation will be excellent. RB is loaded but I would honestly be happy to see a Brooks/Anderson show. Depth is unreal with Dunn being good and Wilson I think will become a great all situation back. I think he was really impressive running and receiving as a true freshman. O-line I think will miss Kuhnert but overall (with experience and great young talent) will maybe be better. WR- I love RJ but I am not worried about much drop off here. Lots of returning talent and I think Watson will be an immediate impact. He looks really fast and athletic. Also the TE will pick up any WR drop off and then some. I have another hunch that, even losing some good Sr TE's, we are about to see the best TE unit Bison fans have seen. Overall the offense has a definite up arrow.

Defense: DE is as loaded and skilled as I've seen in an NDSU DE unit. I like Butler and I'm excited to get Menard back but little Tuska has impressed me all year and it's really exciting the way he stepped up yesterday on the big stage against elite competition. He was basically beating double teams on some of those plays. He could be in for a monster 2018. Also you just know that one or more of the 3 freshmen from this last class will look great as well. DT- lose a couple good players and the depth will be interesting to see unfold. I'm not concerned about this unit but if I recall, they have had some recruiting attrition over the past few seasons. Who will step up as an interior disrupter next year? Question mark, but not really worry on this unit. LB- I love Deluca but I'm not worried about this unit at all. Marlette was a big time play maker/game changer before he was injured. Honestly in those couple games he looked all Americanish. Cox is experienced and may be bigger/faster and the depth fighting for the other side looked really good. That unit may take a few games but they will be elite. CB- I am worried somewhat here because it is the position that maybe hasn't been recruited up to par with other positions but I think Allison and Bridges will be solid but I worry about depth. Bridges is the best cb on this team and looks like the kind of playmaker that will get into QB's heads. S-I love Dempsey but this unit will be solid. Grimsley has turned into a good player and Jaxon Brown looks really athletic...plus still have Hendricks and other unknowns...that unit will be fine. Overall, defense also gets an up arrow...which is amazing with losing a guy like Nick and Nate as well.

Special teams: I agree with others, it's just plain time to get serious about the punting game, and also the return game. I get having guys that are just safe catching the ball but they are just not impacting games. Time to get better playmakers back there or get better blocking schemes or something. Overall- up arrow because I would imagine that is all going to get more attention going into next year.

This is crazy talk, Dunn is clearly our #1 going into next year with Bruce at 1A. Brooks is turning out to be special but at this point I can't see him carrying 50% of the load and staying injury free.

TateMosersneighbor
01-08-2018, 01:48 PM
2017 will go down as one of the top 3 Bison teams of all-time. (2013 and 1986)
2018 has the potential to be the best ever. Need a LS and a couple WRs to do their job and look out...we are so spoiled when there's likely only 20 college football teams or so in America that we'd have to be truly worried about on a neutral field.

KNOW IT ALL
01-08-2018, 02:01 PM
He hasn't been good for the 2 years he was here for flipping the field. On pooch kicks he did decent job pinning teams but could never flip the field when needed. They showed his stats for punting and he had the 9th best average in the mvfc so that shows he's not a good punter.

His only frkn job is to punt a football high and deep. I have no question there are position players on the Bison roster right now that can punt a ball further than Koonce, with consistency. With all the talent this team puts on the field and spends thousands of hours and miles recruiting, you would sure think they could find a better punter. This SHOULD have cost the Bison this years title, thank a great defense for that not happening. A DECENT punter in Frisco would have given the Bison an extra 6-9 pts (field position) in field goals Saturday as well. A team this loaded every year from top to bottom should not have the poor to average kicking game that it did, there has to be more competition for those spots, A dome team playing for national titles every year should make for easy recruiting for kickers. it comes down to priority recruiting and more specialized coaching in that area.

wagsabison
01-08-2018, 02:01 PM
2018 has the potential to be the best ever. Need a LS and a couple WRs to do their job and look out...we are so spoiled when there's likely only 20 college football teams or so in America that we'd have to be truly worried about on a neutral field.

It would have been fun to see this team against an FBS team.

Hammerhead
01-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Sagarin ratings from before the championship game has just 10 teams favored by more than 10 points over NDSU on a neutral field.

ZHerd
01-08-2018, 03:45 PM
This is crazy talk, Dunn is clearly our #1 going into next year with Bruce at 1A. Brooks is turning out to be special but at this point I can't see him carrying 50% of the load and staying injury free.

Brooks is the most explosive offensive playmaker I have seen at NDSU. Not sure how much he can carry per game but I'd love for it to go up

THEsocalledfan
01-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Brooks is the most explosive offensive playmaker I have seen at NDSU. Not sure how much he can carry per game but I'd love for it to go up

Agree with AK, though. They are going to have to be careful with Brooks. Treat him like Easton running; only really unleash it when all the chips are in.

2011BisonAlumni
01-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Agree with AK, though. They are going to have to be careful with Brooks. Treat him like Easton running; only really unleash it when all the chips are in.

I would really like Brooks to put on a few more pounds and take over the role of kickoff/punt returner. We need someone who is a game changer at that position.

THEsocalledfan
01-08-2018, 03:55 PM
I would really like Brooks to put on a few more pounds and take over the role of kickoff/punt returner. We need someone who is a game changer at that position.

Agreed; he could be a weapon like Marcus.

KNOW IT ALL
01-08-2018, 04:15 PM

Will say it again, Brooks is an FCS version of Barry Sanders! Few have the vision, shiftiness and 5 gears. All the while that guy can run in a small box! Agreed as well, limit his carries next year in easy wins and save him for the playoffs, he is special.

Rixen
01-08-2018, 09:30 PM
My thoughts which echo many others so far.

QB: Obviously set at starter and would love Easton to quiet any remaining critics and go out on top. Can't wait to see Hotchkiss and Sanders in the offseason since backup QB depth hasn't been a question mark for years. Having a reliable backup will allow us to unleash Easton all season.

RB: Quite the embarrassment of riches. Wilson and Bruce are the only active RBs eligible to redshirt this year and that makes zero sense for Bruce as a healthy starting Senior and honestly I wouldn't blame Seth one iota for not wanting to do that since he came in and played a significant role in our championship run. I would be ecstatic if he did though. With Dunn, Bruce, and Brooks I just don't see a lot of snaps available. Cofield looks good and Seth looked special at times but they might have to weather their sophomore years with minimal snaps and get the lion's share their Junior and Senior seasons. Purifoy is likely the odd man out here if anyone leaves. He has 2 years left and there is minimal chance, barring injury to others, that he cracks the top 3 and perhaps not even the top 5 coming off a torn ACL and has struggled to put on weight to this point. If we want to preserve our top 3 RBs, can we appease a Purifoy or other with KR/PR duties? A position that needs game changing talent.

FB: Ready to go. Would be nice to have a Bonnett type FB but Robbins, Malstrom, and Kuntz seem very capable. I could see Robbins and Kuntz turning into sneaky offensive contributors.

TE: We are just fine at starters here with amazing depth BUT I am not willing to say we are great here until I see how the young guns do. I think Jenson, Ellefson, and Anderson can provide us with starter level contributions. But are the young guns, Gindorff and Babicz, going to give us the game changing athletic pass catching TE that can take our play action game to another level. Illies gave us a taste of this.

WR: Some of you guys aren't worried. I am. Shepherd is our #1 WR and we all love him. But he is oft dinged up and I don't think he is #1 material. Honestly he comes across as a great #3 or solid #2. I am talking not NDSU #1 material. Not FCS #1. Stapleton and Weinecke aren't walking through our run first door. Dimitri has turned himself into a viable #3 WR which is great to see. There is no reason for us to be sure Cain will turn the corner and be a good starter. Talent yes, but one year left and minimal contributions this year with plenty of opportunity to crack a thin depth chart. Dallas Freeman will contribute but likely on a two deep basis. I honestly don't see any help down the pipeline either. I love the recruiting process and keep spreadsheets of AMATEUR ratings of all the recruits via HUDL review. Take this with a massive grain of salt but I don't see any help on the rest of the WR roster except Watson as long as he put on a little weight/strength. I am worried for this year and FAR MORE for next year. Babicz and Gindorff becoming offensive assets is even more critical due to this lack of starting talent over the next couple talents.

OT: Radunz and ZJ are locked in for the next couple years I think. Baby Volson and Bacon make me pretty comfortable with the depth here too. Conner moved to Guard can always move back to LT if god forbid something happens to Radunz again.

OG: This position scares me a bit. Connor can secure the LG spot but we don't have a known commodity at RG starter or either backup positions. I am predicting Kubas will start at RG but that is purely based off I think he had the most snaps among the depth chart at OG. Haven't heard much positive or negative about Hecht (needs more weight) and Albrecht. I did have a solid grade on Jensen as an available RFr next year.

C: Volson is a stud and I expect Schoenning to be solid depth if needed. Willis has some talent as well as RFr.

NT: Steidl and Williams are an experienced and very solid duo here so we should be fine. A bit nervous about the future here though as Alo and Kelly weren't highly touted as recruits but I am rooting for the local boys to flash a bit this year. We certainly need them to so we can feel better about the future.

DT: Karcz and Darnell seem like a good combo here as well albeit less proven. Karcz seems to have some great upside though and I really liked what Tucker showed on recruit film.

DE: Loaded. Menard, Tuszka, Butler, and Jones. We are 2 deep with starters. Some pretty talented underclassmen too.

LB: Think we are set here. I do think it will be a step down from this year but no one was going to match Deluca. I also think Board was a better player then he got credit for due to Deluca and Cox being amazing. I like Jordheim and Marlette if healthy and I think Mercadel, Pauly, and Kennelly are solid depth.

CB: Absolutely loaded. Some seem nervous here and I don't get it. Allison is confirmed all conference talent, Wimbush turned into a very solid starter, Bridges seems to be a special talent, Hayes made strides in a very short amount of playing time as a true freshman. Dom Davis was looking like a potentially good #3 until the injury, and if Dixon can put on weight I think he has special talent. Love the talent here.

S: We'll take a step down here because Dempsey was special but I think between Hendricks, Brown, and Bachmeier we will have a good pair and depth. Just maybe no longer elite. I really like Tutsie as a RFr and Weber looked good too.

K: Cam is a serviceable kicker. Seems to have some blocked kick issues but I also think he has made quite a few clutch kicks.

P: I will just assume that Wegner is an average punter at worst.

KR/PR: Let's put that bevy of RBs to work!

TLDR: Genuine concern about WR and OG. Loaded at RB, DE, and DB. Other positions shouldn't be impacted too drastically.

ndsubison1
01-09-2018, 01:08 AM

Didnt Wimbush start out as a FS? That's a possibility

tolnabison
01-09-2018, 01:11 AM
Didnt Wimbush start out as a FS? That's a possibility

Also last year Dom Davis cross trained at both corner and nickel. Similar size and speed as Dempsey.

Deuce Dog Nitro
01-09-2018, 01:42 AM
My take on next year's squad: returning QB with solid experience and I have a hunch that the depth situation will be excellent. RB is loaded but I would honestly be happy to see a Brooks/Anderson show. Depth is unreal with Dunn being good and Wilson I think will become a great all situation back. I think he was really impressive running and receiving as a true freshman. O-line I think will miss Kuhnert but overall (with experience and great young talent) will maybe be better. WR- I love RJ but I am not worried about much drop off here. Lots of returning talent and I think Watson will be an immediate impact. He looks really fast and athletic. Also the TE will pick up any WR drop off and then some. I have another hunch that, even losing some good Sr TE's, we are about to see the best TE unit Bison fans have a seen. Overall the offense has a definite up arrow.

Brooks/Anderson? What? Dunn just good? Wilson situational? What were you watching this season? I just can’t with bisonville anymore. Total disrespect to Dunn. Wow!

tolnabison
01-09-2018, 01:52 AM
Brooks/Anderson? What? Dunn just good? Wilson situational? What were you watching this season? I just can’t with bisonville anymore. Total disrespect to Dunn. Wow!

Agreed. Lance was clearly the better back before his injury. I will say Bruce got better as the season went.

Christopher Moen
01-09-2018, 02:16 AM

Having both Dunn and Bruce will be huge. Both are built to punish those who try to tackle them. They’re the ones that will wear out defenses and create opportunities for Brooks, Wilson and Purifoy.

I believe Cofield can also be another RB that can dole out punishment.

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 02:36 AM

Being called good isn't an insult. If that upsets people...oh well. I'd love to see Wilson more than situational as I think he might have the most overall potential of the whole group but with all of the talent I kind of doubt he gets a major load next year.

Deuce Dog Nitro
01-09-2018, 02:53 AM
Being called good isn't an insult. If that upsets people...oh well. I'd love to see Wilson more than situational as I think he might have the most overall potential of the whole group but with all of the talent I kind of doubt he gets a major load next year.

So the Brooks/Anderson show is not an insult to Dunn who was the starter and leads the team in touchdowns (after missing games) and was having an MVP season before the injury? What is it then? If he is just good what are Brooks/Anderson to you?

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 03:06 AM
So the Brooks/Anderson show is not an insult to Dunn who was the starter and leads the team in touchdowns (after missing games) and was having an MVP season before the injury? What is it then? If he is just good what are Brooks/Anderson to you?

Brooks is phenomenal and Bruce is better than Dunn imo. Every position on every team has guys that are better than others. It's just reality. Dunn is good and was putting op torrid numbers before his injury but when we eventually hit good teams on the schedule the "MVP season" numbers came back to reality. What were his numbers the couple games against teams with a pulse before he was hurt? From what I've seen Bruce seems to get more push and picks up more than Dunn against good defenses though they ended fairly even Saturday. I think all of our RBs are good players but if Brooks had the build for it I would run him 30 times a game.

HerdistheWord
01-09-2018, 03:19 AM
Brooks is phenomenal and Bruce is better than Dunn imo. Every position on every team has guys that are better than others. It's just reality. Dunn is good and was putting op torrid numbers before his injury but when we eventually hit good teams on the schedule the "MVP season" numbers came back to reality. What were his numbers the couple games against teams with a pulse before he was hurt? From what I've seen Bruce seems to get more push and picks up more than Dunn against good defenses though they ended fairly even Saturday. I think all of our RBs are good players but if Brooks had the build for it I would run him 30 times a game.

Bruce improved as the season went on. At the beginning of the season, i thought Dunn showed much better vision and he looked explosive because of it as he was hitting the right holes for big yards. We played many of the "tough" teams after his injury. He had a small sample size of "tough" games. I don't recall Dunn ever looking bad this season. I think you may be suffering from recency bias as you seem to be forgetting just haw damn good Dunn looked before the injury.

MAKBison
01-09-2018, 03:23 AM
This is crazy talk, Dunn is clearly our #1 going into next year with Bruce at 1A. Brooks is turning out to be special but at this point, I can't see him carrying 50% of the load and staying injury free.

tough to stay healthy and carry it 20+ x a game at 180LBs. I think you see him around 10 carries a game when Dunn and Anderson are healthy. I say that thinking if you had a Healthy Dunn and especaily Brooks you would have seen more long runs Sat. Their stud end would not run down (from behind) Brooks and or a 100% Dunn

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 03:30 AM
Bruce improved as the season went on. At the beginning of the season, i thought Dunn showed much better vision and he looked explosive because of it as he was hitting the right holes for big yards. We played many of the "tough" teams after his injury. He had a small sample size of "tough" games. I don't recall Dunn ever looking bad this season. I think you may be suffering from recency bias as you seem to be forgetting just haw damn good Dunn looked before the injury.

Everyone suffers from some sort of bias but yes he didn't play against many good defenses this year and didn't do much against the good teams he faced. Massive numbers against Missisippi Valley, Robert Mortis, MSU, and ISU aren't something I base opinions off. I think it's funny how worked up some people get over opinions on a fan forum. You would think my 2018 post was a cruel doom and gloom diatribe when it was actually very positive

Bison20
01-09-2018, 03:31 AM
tough to stay healthy and carry it 20+ x a game at 180LBs. I think you see him around 10 carries a game when Dunn and Anderson are healthy. I say that thinking if you had a Healthy Dunn and especalit Brooks you would have seen more long runs Sat. Their stud end would not run down (from behind) Brooks and or a 100% Dunn

I agree, Brooks made some long runs that dunn or Anderson would have had 5-10 yard games. He can just beat everyone to the edge, I wonder on the big hit dunn took if Brooks would have been gone with his speed.

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 03:32 AM
tough to stay healthy and carry it 20+ x a game at 180LBs. I think you see him around 10 carries a game when Dunn and Anderson are healthy. I say that thinking if you had a Healthy Dunn and especalit Brooks you would have seen more long runs Sat. Their stud end would not run down (from behind) Brooks and or a 100% Dunn

He is one of those rare guys where you scoot edge of seat every time he gets the ball because of the frequency he busts off to the races

HerdistheWord
01-09-2018, 04:25 AM
Everyone suffers from some sort of bias but yes he didn't play against many good defenses this year and didn't do much against the good teams he faced. Massive numbers against Missisippi Valley, Robert Mortis, MSU, and ISU aren't something I base opinions off. I think it's funny how worked up some people get over opinions on a fan forum. You would think my 2018 post was a cruel doom and gloom diatribe when it was actually very positive

If it is any consolation, i will award you ten points for the use of the word diatribe.

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 04:35 AM
If it is any consolation, i will award you ten points for the use of the word diatribe.

Been a while...I probably spelled it wrong and used it out of context ;)

CAS4127
01-09-2018, 04:49 AM
Been a while...I probably spelled it wrong and used it out of context ;)

It was a bit contradictory as used, but I’ll give you a pass.[emoji41]

Deuce Dog Nitro
01-09-2018, 05:17 AM

Which RB had a big game against a great defense? What did the other RBs do in those games Dunn had massive numbers against the what you call “no so good” defense? Trying to understand the logic behind your opinion. If you just like one back more than the other ok. But your reasoning makes no sense to me. I think it’s funny how when someone’s opinion is questioned the person questioning them is worked up.

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 05:53 AM
Which RB had a big game against a great defense? What did the other RBs do in those games Dunn had massive numbers against the what you call “no so good” defense? Trying to understand the logic behind your opinion. If you just like one back more than the other ok. But your reasoning makes no sense to me. I think it’s funny how when someone’s opinion is questioned the person questioning them is worked up.

Moving the boundaries by changing my wording actually just shows you are mad and aren't interested in understanding the logic behind what I said. Brooks numbers this year are almost always good regardless who we play. I didn't get worked up I simply responded, your original post was definitely worked up. Just look at the numbers from the start of good conference competition (probably YSU without looking). I'm not sure why anyone would base anything off the first 6 or so games but if you want to have at it. But yes, ultimately I am just giving opinions. If my opinion that we have two RB that I think are very good and would like to see get the bulk of carries is disrespectful than so be it. Again this isn't some major criticism of Dunn (we don't have any bad RB, they are all good players) I just think the other two are better. Next year could prove me very wrong on that. Whoever is back there will end up with a bunch of yards and TDs.

Deuce Dog Nitro
01-09-2018, 06:41 AM
Moving the boundaries by changing my wording actually just shows you are just mad and aren't interested in understanding the logic behind what I said. Brooks numbers this year are almost always good regardless who we play. I didn't get worked up I simply responded, your original post was definitely worked up. Just look at the numbers from the start of good conference competition (probably YSU without looking). I'm not sure why anyone would base anything off the first 6 or so games but if you want to have at it. But yes, ultimately I am just giving opinions. If my opinion that we have two RB that I think are very good and would like to see get the bulk of carries is disrespectful than so be it. Again this isn't some major criticism of Dunn (we don't have any bad RB, they are all good players) I just think the other two are better. Next year could prove me very wrong on that.

None of your wording was changed. Mad about what? I simply said I find it funny that you think I’m mad because I questioned your opinion. I never said you were mad. As far as Brooks numbers he had 2 100 yard games. MVS and USD. Are they great defenses? He missed 5 games after EWU where he had 39 yards. He didn’t play against YSU or Western Illinois so your logic is not makin sense to me. I’m not taking anything away from Brooks. He is very dynamic and I like him as a runner. But again, your logic is not adding up. And apparently the coaches don’t agree with that logic either.

ZHerd
01-09-2018, 12:03 PM
None of your wording was changed. Mad about what? I simply said I find it funny that you think I’m mad because I questioned your opinion. I never said you were mad. As far as Brooks numbers he had 2 100 yard games. MVS and USD. Are they great defenses? He missed 5 games after EWU where he had 39 yards. He didn’t play against YSU or Western Illinois so your logic is not makin sense to me. I’m not taking anything away from Brooks. He is very dynamic and I like him as a runner. But again, your logic is not adding up. And apparently the coaches don’t agree with that logic either.

Last line is true, Im probably too much of a second guesser, our staff knows what they're doing

Rixen
01-09-2018, 02:15 PM
We have amazing talent and depth at RB. We are quite literally discussing which 2 of our 3 All conference caliber RBs are best. Not a worthless discussion but I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns unless we want to pound our pud against that wall some more.

Anyone want to discuss the WR issue next? Do we think the TEs, RBs, and a Senior Easton can make up for our lack of WR depth and premiere talent?

What do we do in obvious passing situations and especially the 3rd and longs? (I know I know Darrius scored our big TD on 3rd and 17 in the natty). I never want to disparage our players and Darrius & Dimitri are talented and have played important roles in our championship runs. But RJ seemed to be a notch above and could fill out that #1 WR role while not being prototypical measurables. He was also INCREDIBLY durable. We also had Illies to give us that athletic TE mismatch for the passing downs. What if Watson isn't ready to contribute, or if Cain and Freeman don't take that next step. Anyone else people are excited about?

The sky isn't falling because I think the team looks great for next year but this is my biggest concern and would like to hear other, likely more knowledgeable, opinions.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2018, 02:26 PM
We have amazing talent and depth at RB. We are quite literally discussing which 2 of our 3 All conference caliber RBs are best. Not a worthless discussion but I think we've hit the point of diminishing returns unless we want to pound our pud against that wall some more.

Anyone want to discuss the WR issue next? Do we think the TEs, RBs, and a Senior Easton can make up for our lack of WR depth and premiere talent?

What do we do in obvious passing situations and especially the 3rd and longs? (I know I know Darrius scored our big TD on 3rd and 17 in the natty). I never want to disparage our players and Darrius & Dimitri are talented and have played important roles in our championship runs. But RJ seemed to be a notch above and could fill out that #1 WR role while not being prototypical measurables. He was also INCREDIBLY durable. We also had Illies to give us that athletic TE mismatch for the passing downs. What if Watson isn't ready to contribute, or if Cain and Freeman don't take that next step. Anyone else people are excited about?

The sky isn't falling because I think the team looks great for next year but this is my biggest concern and would like to hear other, likely more knowledgeable, opinions.

Take the RB with the best hands and turn him into a Ryan Smith style slot receiver. Might get a safety out of that bunch too.

oldmantutters
01-09-2018, 02:27 PM
I think Brooks and/or Wilson will take on more of a Ryan Smith role next year.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

MankatoBison
01-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Damn, never thought of that! wow that would be something to redshirt after they've already played significant minutes.

Do we know of any recognizable names who have done this in the past- with us or someone else??

wagsabison
01-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Damn, never thought of that! wow that would be something to redshirt after they've already played significant minutes.

Do we know of any recognizable names who have done this in the past- with us or someone else??

This has been brought up many times but I would think that's a pretty unprecedented thing to have happen after contributing like he has. I just don't see it happening. After Bruce and Lance are done we do lose some work horse type guys.

As others have mentioned it's nice to have that RS in your back pocket if he's injured at some point.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Just an aside, but how does it work for someone like RJ if they still have school to complete when he never shirted? Do they have a way to keep him on scholarship for him to finish out a degree?

noryan34
01-09-2018, 02:49 PM

For being the #1 receiver RJ subbed out a lot this year it seemed. I think Shep can run routes and has the speed to replace RJ he just hasn't been as durable and is prone to some drops. But remember not too long ago Shep was catching absolute lasers from Wentz in a title game. One way to help the passing game is run a RB out in motion or even work out 1 or more of them as a RB/Slot combo. It would awesome to see that delta formation come into play a lot more next year with the RB we have.

Bison20
01-09-2018, 02:55 PM
For being the #1 receiver RJ subbed out a lot this year it seemed. I think Shep can run routes and has the speed to replace RJ he just hasn't been as durable and is prone to some drops. But remember not too long ago Shep was catching absolute lasers from Wentz in a title game. One way to help the passing game is run a RB out in motion or even work out 1 or more of them as a RB/Slot combo. It would awesome to see that delta formation come into play a lot more next year with the RB we have.

I wonder if gindof has the speed to split out wide. It would be nice to have that tall receiver who you can throw it up to.

DM05
01-09-2018, 03:39 PM
I wonder if gindof has the speed to split out wide. It would be nice to have that tall receiver who you can throw it up to.

I would think Babicz may also be an option for that type of player. A little thinner than Gindorff, and didn't he play high level high school volleyball? Should have some hops...

I'm damn excited for Gindorff though: came in at 6-6, 249, before a year with Kramer. If he has some speed, that is a matchup nightmare for any FCS linebacker/safety.

WR: Shep and Williams are solid for what we are trying to do. Freeman is what he is at this point. Hope Cain can step up big. All 4 of those guys are seniors next year. Would be nice if Christian Watson excels, 6-3 WR would be great to add to the stable of smaller guys.

RossUglem
01-09-2018, 09:56 PM
https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/2018-Bison-Football-A-Way-Too-Early-Preview-113476998

MAKBison
01-09-2018, 11:11 PM
https://247sports.com/college/north-dakota-state/Article/2018-Bison-Football-A-Way-Too-Early-Preview-113476998

Nice insights...thanks Ross

noryan34
01-09-2018, 11:53 PM

Love the work. Learn something new everytime I read them

ndsubison1
01-10-2018, 02:18 AM
FS is unknown but we have a lot of options in the secondary. Hayes looks like a FS. but I imagine he'll stay at CB with Allison and Wimbush as SRs. I really like Bridges getting the 2nd CB spot. Maybe Wimbush as a slot corner and short yardage guy?

mtoutfitter
01-10-2018, 03:12 AM
What's Bisonville's guess at backup QB next year? Hotchkiss or Sanders? Wasn't Sanders injured his Sr year and could be a bit of a sleeper?

Christopher Moen
01-10-2018, 03:45 AM
What's Bisonville's guess at backup QB next year? Hotchkiss or Sanders? Wasn't Sanders injured his Sr year and could be a bit of a sleeper?

Both are going to be good and I would say the competition would be like Dunn and Bruce for the top RB spot when both are 100% healthy. Too close to call.

mtoutfitter
01-10-2018, 03:49 AM
OK...was wondering how well Sanders was thought of as a QB...did he have any other offers? On a side note it's nice to have someone else in the Mountain Time Zone who is still awake to talk Bison Football!

thebootfitter
01-10-2018, 03:59 AM

Do we know of any recognizable names who have done this in the past- with us or someone else??After leading his team to the chipper in '95, Chad Pennington redshirted the year Marshall won it all in '96 to make room for a transfer from Florida, Eric Kresser. He then played again in '97 to lead Marshall to a bowl victory their first year as a I-A team.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bison20
01-10-2018, 04:03 AM
FS is unknown but we have a lot of options in the secondary. Hayes looks like a FS. but I imagine he'll stay at CB with Allison and Wimbush as SRs. I really like Bridges getting the 2nd CB spot. Maybe Wimbush as a slot corner and short yardage guy?

I think Hayes stays at cb, seemed to play well and look like a lock down guy. Plus we will need cb after next year. Right now I would say hendricks and grimsley have the inside edge as the safeties. I like the look of Tutsie as a sleeper though.

mtoutfitter
01-10-2018, 04:16 AM
I think Hayes stays at cb, seemed to play well and look like a lock down guy. Plus we will need cb after next year. Right now I would say hendricks and grimsley have the inside edge as the safeties. I like the look of Tutsie as a sleeper though.

Are you sure on Grimsley....I mean he's only started for 3 yrs...:)

Christopher Moen
01-10-2018, 05:18 AM
OK...was wondering how well Sanders was thought of as a QB...did he have any other offers? On a side note it's nice to have someone else in the Mountain Time Zone who is still awake to talk Bison Football!

I believe he was highly recruited by Messingham when he as at Montana State.

With that said, the QB cupboard at NDSU is going to be pretty stacked for awhile.

Alsen
01-10-2018, 06:13 AM

He doesn't really. Josh Babicz does.

KNOW IT ALL
01-10-2018, 07:17 PM
It will be interesting over the next year or so to see which QB recruits actually play QB, try new positions or transfer out. Talented QB prospects often make top notch position players, I think were going to see that soon.

TheDynastyContinues
01-12-2018, 09:14 PM
2019 could be interesting for QB battle with Hotchkiss, Sanders, and Trey Lance.

EC8CH
01-12-2018, 09:19 PM
2019 could be interesting for QB battle with Hotchkiss, Sanders, and Trey Lance.

Already next year the battle for the backup spot will be interesting. Wide open right now.

wisco4
01-12-2018, 10:28 PM

He would be special back there but I've heard he doesn't catch the ball particularly well.

Gully
01-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Dom mentioned playing Seth Wilson at the Ryan Smith spot. He looks to have good hands and quickness so that could be interesting.