PDA

View Full Version : New proposal on redshirt rules

dokhogg
12-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Long time lurker, seldom poster here.

Saw this link on the NCAA changing red shirt rules for next season. Thought it was really interesting....thoughts?

http://www.richmond.com/sports/if-new-redshirt-policy-is-adopted-fcs-depth-issues-diminish/article_8a8843e1-22cd-5ddc-a520-a951a8301480.html

dok

56BISON73
12-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Long time lurker, seldom poster here.

Saw this link on the NCAA changing red shirt rules for next season. Thought it was really interesting....thoughts?

http://www.richmond.com/sports/if-new-redshirt-policy-is-adopted-fcs-depth-issues-diminish/article_8a8843e1-22cd-5ddc-a520-a951a8301480.html

dok

On its face I like it.

mtoutfitter
12-26-2017, 10:23 PM
On its face I like it.

How about on it's Ass PL?

AKBison
12-26-2017, 10:51 PM
How about on it's Ass PL?

The only that jumps out to me is that it might turn bowl games into a bigger joke then they already are.

HerdBot
12-26-2017, 11:01 PM
On its face I like it.

Without knowing the details I like it too. Could be cool if we could have pulled a red shirt during the playoffs

X-Factor
12-26-2017, 11:23 PM
NDSUs game will be to try and save as many kids for the playoffs as possible. It could add a few extra impact players every year right when they are needed most (thinking special teams mostly - to allow for extra rest of some starters).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator98
12-27-2017, 12:08 AM
4 games now? Did I just dream they originally were thinking 3? Either way I think it might be a good idea.

TAILG8R
12-27-2017, 12:32 AM
What does this do the the advantage teams like NDSU have with their already deeper talent? I know NDSU gets to benefit from it too but one could argue that teams that year over year have less depth will benefit more than a team like NDSU that has good depth without this rule.

EC8CH
12-27-2017, 12:47 AM
Has to be nice for the kids who get to keep a year of eligibility if their team needs to call their number late in the year due to injuries.

NDSU1980
12-27-2017, 01:17 AM
What does this do the the advantage teams like NDSU have with their already deeper talent? I know NDSU gets to benefit from it too but one could argue that teams that year over year have less depth will benefit more than a team like NDSU that has good depth without this rule.

But remember that it really only helps the teams that have these red shirt freshmen developed enough to play 3 or 4 games. If they aren't ready and get thrown into the fire, it turns into a dumpster fire. I'm thinking this helps us more than it helps most of the other teams. We develop depth and should have all kinds of guys ready to play by the end of the season. I'm a go for it.

td577
12-27-2017, 06:27 AM
But remember that it really only helps the teams that have these red shirt freshmen developed enough to play 3 or 4 games. If they aren't ready and get thrown into the fire, it turns into a dumpster fire. I'm thinking this helps us more than it helps most of the other teams. We develop depth and should have all kinds of guys ready to play by the end of the season. I'm a go for it.

This is a very good take. I think NDSU has used redshirts very wisely to work with young men who need that extra year of development. I hope a rule like this doesn't change the way NDSU recruits. Finding that diamond in the rough and putting them on a five year plan has been very successful for this program.

THEsocalledfan
12-27-2017, 12:18 PM
I don't know. Stig pulled 6 shirts that will likely bite him in the rear down the road, and I don't like the idea of "forgiving" him when he goes "all in" and loses......

Bison 4 Life
12-27-2017, 12:25 PM
Four games is a lot. Russ Huesman needs to manage his redshirts more responsibly, where are our depth problems?

tony
12-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Be nice for a freshman to get into some games, even if it's just for a series or two, during that looooooooong red shirt year.

nodak651
12-27-2017, 04:45 PM

I kind of think that this could help other teams more than NDSU. NDSU has so much depth already that you guys can red shirt pretty much all of your freshman every season. Teams like UND, and other FCS teams with less depth, are forced to play freshman to fill gaps in their roster. The result of this, I'm just assuming, is NDSU probably has a older average age of players on it's depth chart. Lower level fcs teams would be able to use players, in a limited manner, to fill depth issues without burning a red shirt. This would allow teams like UND to increase the average age (and strength/experience) of its depth chart.

I think this would probably help NDSU vs FBS competition, but I'm not really seeing how it would be good for NDSU against FCS competition. Could this improve parity among teams at the FCS level?

wagsabison
12-27-2017, 04:56 PM
I kind of think that this could help other teams more than NDSU. NDSU has so much depth already that you guys can red shirt pretty much all of your freshman every season. Teams like UND, and other FCS teams with less depth, are forced to play freshman to fill gaps in their roster. The result of this, I'm just assuming, is NDSU probably has a older average age of players on it's depth chart. Lower level fcs teams would be able to use players, in a limited manner, to fill depth issues without burning a red shirt. This would allow teams like UND to increase the average age (and strength/experience) of its depth chart.

I think this would probably help NDSU vs FBS competition, but I'm not really seeing how it would be good for NDSU against FCS competition. Could this improve parity among teams at the FCS level?

If they just play the max number of games it will just better prepare them for the following year. I don't see it helping vs FBS competition because those games are typically played in the first few weeks of the season when the true freshman are very green. I see it helping where they can play against the non-conference cup-cakes and have a little additional depth during the playoffs. Not necessarily as a starter but fill-in gaps on special teams or come in as a reserved role.

nodak651
12-27-2017, 05:01 PM
If they just play the max number of games it will just better prepare them for the following year. I don't see it helping vs FBS competition because those games are typically played in the first few weeks of the season when the true freshman are very green. I see it helping where they can play against the non-conference cup-cakes and have a little additional depth during the playoffs. Not necessarily as a starter but fill-in gaps on special teams or come in as a reserved role.

I think it would help against FBS teams because FBS games are usually tight until the second half, when scholarship players start to get tired. NDSU would be able to play good freshman in these games to keep the starters a little more fresh late in the game.

Christopher Moen
12-27-2017, 06:41 PM
I think it would help against FBS teams because FBS games are usually tight until the second half, when scholarship players start to get tired. NDSU would be able to play good freshman in these games to keep the starters a little more fresh late in the game.

I’m a little confused on this. Regardless if a team is FBS or FCS, teams only can only dress a certain amount of players per game based on if they’re traveling and their conference limit.

Also, don’t forget that both subdivisions are allowed to have 85 scholarship players. The difference is that FBS schools must give full scholarships while FCS schools can split 63 scholarships among 85 players.

The proposed rule won’t affect a game against a FBS team like the way you described, but will help a FCS team if an upperclassman is injured and the team needs to fill that spot temporarily.

For NDSU, this rule will help them fill weakened spots during the playoffs. For example, last year, they might have benefited if they were allowed to play Cox.

This year, they could have given all their redshirts valuable playing time being that the first three games were won by halftime.

noryan34
12-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Make it two games and I think it’s good. If a player is good enough to play in 1/3 or more of a teams games then why is he redshirting in the first place? Two games gives teams ample time to evaluate if a player is gonna make it back from an injury plus if it’s longer than two games you probably gonna pull the shirt anyways.

If it’s a depth thing. Rather than 4 games why not increase number of scholarships?

AKBison
12-27-2017, 06:57 PM
I’m a little confused on this. Regardless if a team is FBS or FCS, teams only can only dress a certain amount of players per game based on if they’re traveling and their conference limit.

Also, don’t forget that both subdivisions are allowed to have 85 scholarship players. The difference is that FBS schools must give full scholarships while FCS schools can split 63 scholarships among 85 players.

The proposed rule won’t affect a game against a FBS team like the way you described, but will help a FCS team if an upperclassman is injured and the team needs to fill that spot temporarily.

For NDSU, this rule will help them fill weakened spots during the playoffs. For example, last year, they might have benefited if they were allowed to play Cox.

This year, they could have given all their redshirts valuable playing time being that the first three games were won by halftime.

I'm not really sure it benefits one school more than another. I guess I could see an argument that it might help that second tier of Schools who have good but not championship level programs. (USD, WIU, ISUr, etc). It would be interesting to see how each school would handle it. True playoff contenders might save them to help build depth while in the playoffs, other schools might use them for depth during conference play. To truly benefit the student athlete, maybe post season play should be excluded? Maybe 2 games would better compromise like noryan34 said. Thoughts?

wagsabison
12-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Part of it too... do you want a true-freshman playing in the most important games (playoffs) with no prior experience?

Christopher Moen
12-27-2017, 08:32 PM
Part of it too... do you want a true-freshman playing in the most important games (playoffs) with no prior experience?

That’s why I suggested them playing when the game(s) are already done.

Herd
12-27-2017, 08:41 PM

NDSU has really faded in the 4th Quarter Of FBS Games. 🙄

Jay
12-27-2017, 09:39 PM
Original discussion here - http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?37977-AFCA-Proposals

nodak651
12-27-2017, 09:51 PM
NDSU has really faded in the 4th Quarter Of FBS Games. ��

I get what you are saying, but that doesn't mean it still wouldn't help. And NDSU probably isn't the best example because you have so much depth. It would help teams with crap depth more than team with great depth.

I agree that 4 games is too many.