PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Commit: Dylan Evans

tony
12-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Don't see a thread for Dylan so I've stolen Jay's work:

Dylan Evans, 6-3, 243, DT, Williston, ND Video (https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/status/943477879324790784)

Really like what I've seen on tape.

BisManBison
12-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Was his signing a bit of a surprise? Being there was no thread for him I'm assuming that means we never received a verbal, at least publicly anyway?

23Bison
12-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Welcome aboard Dylan!

Kermit
12-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Was his signing a bit of a surprise? Being there was no thread for him I'm assuming that means we never received a verbal, at least publicly anyway?

Not a surprise. The kid just didn't want it to be public.

HerdBot
12-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Kids also a good wrestler and track and field. We seem to do well with recruiting wrestlers on the dline.

Christopher Moen
12-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Kids also a good wrestler and track and field. We seem to do well with recruiting wrestlers on the dline.

As an organization, we (USA Wrestling) have been trying to convinced this fact to many football-loving states, especially Texas. Many of those high school coaches don't want their kids in other sports.

HerdBot
12-21-2017, 03:35 AM
As an organization, we (USA Wrestling) have been trying to convinced this fact to many football-loving states, especially Texas. Many of those high school coaches don't want their kids in other sports.

Not sure why. Playing other sports develops other skills. Like when a basketball player takes 1 hand pass and boxes out and fights for a rebound or develops jumping skills... Skills come in handy when going for a jump ball. Baseball players have killer hand eye coordination. Discus and javellyn have insanely powerful shoulders and forearms. Sprinters are... Freaking fast. Soccer players have amazing footspeed
Wrestlers probably have zero problem playing with a good pad level and using leverage plus they are in such good shape it's freaking ridiculous.

BisonNeil
12-21-2017, 02:18 PM
He will be a real man when he returns in two years from his mission. I think it is great that the coaching staff would do their due diligence and then conclude that he was worth waiting two years for, which makes me all that more excited to see him on the field in a few years. Some of the best DL in the 80s were wrestlers. They really understand center of gravity. Glad the Bison are going back to that tradition. Go Bison!

Christopher Moen
12-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Not sure why. Playing other sports develops other skills. Like when a basketball player takes 1 hand pass and boxes out and fights for a rebound or develops jumping skills... Skills come in handy when going for a jump ball. Baseball players have killer hand eye coordination. Discus and javellyn have insanely powerful shoulders and forearms. Sprinters are... Freaking fast. Soccer players have amazing footspeed
Wrestlers probably have zero problem playing with a good pad level and using leverage plus they are in such good shape it's freaking ridiculous.

Lots of high school coaches are stubborn and only want their athletes under their control. We run into the same issue with high school wrestling coaches who don’t want their kids wrestling the Olympic styles (freestyle and Greco-Roman) in the Spring and Summer.

Personally, I push for kids to be well-round and not focused on one sport. When I was in the Events department, I dealt with a lot of parents who had extremely talented young wrestlers who participated/train wrestling all year. I told a few of the parents, along with their kid, that they need to enjoy other sports during the off-season. Most were “nope, little Johnny loves the sport and will go nonstop because he’s going to be an Olympian one day.” Most of those kids probably didn’t make it past the ninth grade, let alone a DI athlete.

These parents should look at how Russia trains their youth. No competition till they’re about 13 years old. Before that, it’s all practice, which involves technique development and lots of tumbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtoutfitter
12-21-2017, 03:13 PM
He will be a real man when he returns in two years from his mission. I think it is great that the coaching staff would do their due diligence and then conclude that he was worth waiting two years for, which makes me all that more excited to see him on the field in a few years. Some of the best DL in the 80s were wrestlers. They really understand center of gravity. Glad the Bison are going back to that tradition. Go Bison!

I believe you're thinking of the wrong player. I believe Ewing is the one going on the mission....not Evans.

rutlandbison
12-21-2017, 03:40 PM
I believe you're thinking of the wrong player. I believe Ewing is the one going on the mission....not Evans.
Yes, it is Ewing that was talking about the mission. But I heard Dom say something along the lines of if he signs, he won't be going on that mission. If he didn't sign he would be part of the 2019 class, but because he signed, he is part of this class.

Mr. Burgundy
12-21-2017, 03:46 PM
He is going on the 2 year mission. Not sure where yet.

rutlandbison
12-21-2017, 04:47 PM
Ahhh, yes. I see the article Izzo wrote stating that.

NDSU1980
12-22-2017, 02:34 AM

I think it's wonderful that he's doing this. It shows good commitment to a lot of things, not just football. I'm wondering though, his 5 years of eligibility start when he gets back?

noryan34
12-22-2017, 02:57 AM
I think it's wonderful that he's doing this. It shows good commitment to a lot of things, not just football. I'm wondering though, his 5 years of eligibility start when he gets back?

Not sure who many years they waive. But the NCAA will pause their eligibility For things like missions and military service somid suspect his five years start once he gets back

bruinbison
12-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Article on Dylan Evans signing

http://www.willistonherald.com/sports/evans-is-ndsu-bound/article_e7c06cba-e67e-11e7-bbad-bf8805cd8a79.html

THEsocalledfan
12-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Article on Dylan Evans signing

http://www.willistonherald.com/sports/evans-is-ndsu-bound/article_e7c06cba-e67e-11e7-bbad-bf8805cd8a79.html

Interesting; has a way to donate to help him play in an under-18 game, but wouldn't that be a NCAA violation for a donor to give money to that?

Bison 4 Life
12-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Interesting; has a way to donate to help him play in an under-18 game, but wouldn't that be a NCAA violation for a donor to give money to that?

Oh hell yes it would.

THEsocalledfan
12-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Oh hell yes it would.

I am sure someone on here must know folks in the NDSU compliance department. Probably should be brought to their attention so they can contact the newspaper and appropriate parties to let them know the issue.

Heck, I'm going to forward to Mr. Larson so they are aware.

Mr. Burgundy
12-22-2017, 04:34 PM
You guys act like NDSU is the one asking for money to help the kid go. Let people do their job. It was small town newspaper. If you are donor, don't do it. If you live in Willy and want to help a cute story, do it. No story here guys. Goodness.

THEsocalledfan
12-22-2017, 04:39 PM
You guys act like NDSU is the one asking for money to help the kid go. Let people do their job. It was small town newspaper. If you are donor, don't do it. If you live in Willy and want to help a cute story, do it. No story here guys. Goodness.

Never said that NDSU promoted it. However, reality is many folks don't have any idea what the rules are. I am sure their are donors in "willy" who would give and have no idea an issue. That is the problem.

Mr. Burgundy
12-22-2017, 04:46 PM
Never said that NDSU promoted it. However, reality is many folks don't have any idea what the rules are. I am sure their are donors in "willy" who would give and have no idea an issue. That is the problem.

Ok....do YOUR job and make sure the AD is aware!!!! Good work.

Bison 4 Life
12-22-2017, 04:47 PM

If you are in any way considered a booster (the NCAA has a very broad definition) you can in no way give this kid any money unless you are directly related or a close friend of the the family with an established relationship. The article puts a lot of people in a corner with mentioning him signing and displaying the NDSU gear.

This isn't tweeting to the kid, this is serious business.

THEsocalledfan
12-22-2017, 05:21 PM

And they are on it....got a reply and they are on it. I feel better now.

56BISON73
12-22-2017, 09:59 PM

This is like a 2 year redshirt without kramer.

HerdBot
12-22-2017, 10:09 PM

And they are on it....got a reply and they are on it. I feel better now.

Good job guys. The average fans are kind of ignorant to this stuff. You can tell by the fact that fans of every team tweets at recruits which is a no no. And when someone sees an article in the credible newspaper they would probably assume it's OK. Would hate to see the kid lose his eligibility and not be able to play college football because of something unintentionally stupid

Tony Almeida
12-22-2017, 10:57 PM
He just looks like a dude I would not want to line up against. Looks like he eats nails with a glass of diesel fuel for breakfast and gargles with bleach.

mtoutfitter
12-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Just so everyone knows....this thread has morphed into talking about TWO different guys. Evans the DL from Williston is the wrestler and kid who they're rasing money for to go to a high school bowl game.....Ewing is the TE/DE from Watford City who is going on a mission....completely different guys.

56BISON73
12-23-2017, 04:04 PM
Just so everyone knows....this thread has morphed into talking about TWO different guys. Evans the DL from Williston is the wrestler and kid who they're rasing money for to go to a high school bowl game.....Ewing is the TE/DE from Watford City who is going on a mission....completely different guys.

Thanks now I know why I was confused more than I normally am.

bruinbison
01-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Well, if I am reading this correctly, Dylan Evans’ U18 International Bowl game is tonight on ESPN3. The US team plays a Canadian team.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/5307/international-bowl-2018-u-s-national-team-rosters-game-times-tv-information-notable-former-players

US roster includes a small-town TE from Valier, MT, who will play for the Griz in college - Colten Curry - 6’ 7” 220

NoDak
01-18-2018, 09:23 PM

Beyond developing skills a kid who is good at multiple sports is probably a really good athlete. Don't underestimate the value of having an athlete above and beyond a guy with "skills."

HerdBot
01-19-2018, 01:24 AM
Beyond developing skills a kid who is good at multiple sports is probably a really good athlete. Don't underestimate the value of having an athlete above and beyond a guy with "skills."

Absolutely. I think it helps develop athletic coordination too which is huge when you're talking about huge men

tolnabison
08-20-2021, 12:34 AM
Looks like he ended up transferring across the river to MSU-M.

https://www.msumdragons.com/sports/football/roster/dylan-evans/8380