PDA

View Full Version : $50 Million among friends....

NDSU German from Russia
11-27-2017, 10:01 PM
I shelled out my $182 for round 1 of playoff the other day.

Got me thinking about economic impact of last (7) years of playoffs.

20,000 spectators (for easy math) @ $100 each is $2 Million.

Yes, I only pay $45ish dollars per my ticket, but with driving, running up a pregame tab at herd N horns, our party of (4) can run into $400 easily for the weekend....we don't exactly drive a Prius from Bismarck.

Granted, there are many who drive from close to Fargo, don't go out to eat and blast right home without spending a dime in Fargo, but then again many fly in and many other drive and stay Saturday and even friday night (hotels, restaurants, gas, etc.).

Don't even get me started on the the xmas shopping which happens at Wasted Acres the past (6) years.....

anyway, $2Million per game x 3 per season is close to (+/-) $6 million. With a (7) year playoff run (and counting) that is easily $42 million impact on Fargo and surrounding area.

My numbers are likely a SWAG, but really a $40-50 Million impact is significant when comparing Fargo to our other regional competitors.

Duluth, Sioux Falls, Saint Cloud, Rapid City, Bismarck, Grand Forks, Brookings, Rochester, Omaha, etc. would love to have this economic development & impact, but don't and simply never will.

It's simply amazing the economics of what this team has done the past several years!

KTF
11-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Every time I go to a home football game it seems I am dropping $200 or more in shipping...

HerdBot
11-27-2017, 10:20 PM
It would be awesome if the NCAA didn't take most of the gate. But yes, the playoff run is a good economic driver. Every home game I spend $100 on food, make a trip to the liquor store, buy tailgating supplies, buy reserved tailgating spots, buy tickets to the 50/50 raffle, etc..

Now we have 2 people in our tailgating crew who drive an hour from lakes area, buy gas, hotel, beer, food, etc..

southcliffbison
11-27-2017, 10:27 PM
Season ticket holder here. Drive from Sioux Falls; easily dropped a C note for each trip to Fargo for a home game......drive up, drive home. Last year, the Bison played 14 games; I watched in person 12 of them. It's why I do HS football on Friday nights........pays for the trip. Actually, even if I didn't officiate, I would still be there.

tke
11-27-2017, 10:54 PM
It would be awesome if the NCAA didn't take most of the gate. But yes, the playoff run is a good economic driver. Every home game I spend $100 on food, make a trip to the liquor store, buy tailgating supplies, buy reserved tailgating spots, buy tickets to the 50/50 raffle, etc..

Now we have 2 people in our tailgating crew who drive an hour from lakes area, buy gas, hotel, beer, food, etc..I believe the NCAA only gets the bid. With a seed, we only need to bid the minimum which at last disclosure was $50k. So just under $3/ticket.

gotts
11-27-2017, 10:56 PM
I believe the NCAA only gets the bid. With a seed, we only need to bid the minimum which at last disclosure was $50k. So just under $3/ticket.

I thought it was bid or 75% of gate, whichever is larger.

bisonaudit
11-27-2017, 11:08 PM
I thought it was bid or 75% of gate, whichever is larger.

Not sure on the exact numbers but this is the right structure. The NCAA gets a % of the gate with the bid serving as a minimum guarantee.

taper
11-27-2017, 11:46 PM
I believe the NCAA only gets the bid. With a seed, we only need to bid the minimum which at last disclosure was $50k. So just under $3/ticket.

I really hope we don't bid the minimum. The sealed bids must be delivered to the NCAA by the Monday before the final regular season game. If we had lost that badly we may have dropped out of the seeds. Unlikely, but since we're going to be paying 75% anyway just go all in. JMU didn't in 2011. First year in their newly renovated 25k seat stadium and Eastern Kentucky of the OVC got the home game.

MAKBison
11-27-2017, 11:49 PM

Now we have 2 people in our tailgating crew who drive an hour from lakes area, buy gas, hotel, beer, food, etc..

If i remember correctly..... didn't the Dome say the playoff games are what kicked them into the black a few/five years ago?

bisonaudit
11-27-2017, 11:51 PM
I really hope we don't bid the minimum. The sealed bids must be delivered to the NCAA by the Monday before the final regular season game. If we had lost that badly we may have dropped out of the seeds. Unlikely, but since we're going to be paying 75% anyway just go all in. JMU didn't in 2011. First year in their newly renovated 25k seat stadium and Eastern Kentucky of the OVC got the home game.

I’d be shocked if we did something that stupid. The way the Bison consistently draw it should be relatively easy to submit a very large bid with great confidence in covering the number.

taper
11-28-2017, 12:10 AM
I’d be shocked if we did something that stupid. The way the Bison consistently draw it should be relatively easy to submit a very large bid with great confidence in covering the number.

Can't decide if JMU or Georgia Southern has done the dumbest bid. GSU in 2010 didn't bid beyond the first round and after beating the #2 seed went to unseeded Wofford for the quarters. Western Illinois went to Dayton in 2015 because they didn't bid at all, but that can be excused as they were 6-5 and didn't expect to be selected.

56BISON73
11-28-2017, 12:12 AM

I got this from Hammersmith about 4 years ago so it might have changed.

According to the 2012 championship handbook, it was 75% of the estimated net receipts. At least it is if I'm reading it right. Here's the quote:

Site Selection
With regard to first-round, second-round, quarterfinal and semifinal sites, in addition to the criteria listed in Bylaw 31.1.3.2.1, the NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee shall consider the following additional criteria when selecting playoff sites:
1. Prospective host institutions must submit the following minimum financial guarantees, which shall be 75 percent of the estimated net receipts as submitted on the proposed budget:
 First round – $30,000
 Second round – $30,000
 Quarterfinal – $40,000
 Semifinal – $50,000
2. If the minimum financial guarantees are met, the committee will award the playoff sites to the top five seeded teams.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...B_OEM_ID=12300

Hammerhead
11-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Just imagine if they could sell beer at Bison games. I'm guessing the Fargodome makes money on the parking. Does anyone know how the concession revenue works? Does NDSU get a percentage or anything?

Team Makers also gets an extra $10 per game for half of our 50-50 ticket money when we get tickets to the playoff games. :)

stevdock
11-28-2017, 02:33 AM
Can't decide if JMU or Georgia Southern has done the dumbest bid. GSU in 2010 didn't bid beyond the first round and after beating the #2 seed went to unseeded Wofford for the quarters. Western Illinois went to Dayton in 2015 because they didn't bid at all, but that can be excused as they were 6-5 and didn't expect to be selected.

I don't know how reliable the source was but I've read that Western didn't bid this year either.

56BISON73
11-28-2017, 02:37 AM
Just imagine if they could sell beer at Bison games. I'm guessing the Fargodome makes money on the parking. Does anyone know how the concession revenue works? Does NDSU get a percentage or anything?

Team Makers also gets an extra $10 per game for half of our 50-50 ticket money when we get tickets to the playoff games. :)

According to GT the revenue from the sale of beer wouldnt be worth the administrative head aches and wouldnt add much to the bottom line.

MAKBison
11-28-2017, 02:51 AM
According to GT the revenue from the sale of beer wouldnt be worth the administrative head aches and wouldnt add much to the bottom line.

GT may have just not wanted to fight that fight either

56BISON73
11-28-2017, 03:19 AM
GT may have just not wanted to fight that fight either

He produced the figures involved so they did their research.

gizmo
11-28-2017, 04:50 AM
Our family drives to all home games, 800 miles round trip. That is three couples, three vehicles, 2400 miles, 6 hotel nights, food, shopping (we have bought several vehicles in Fargo), etc. Add to that the cost of tickets, tailgating and Teammakers donations and we easily spend $5000 per game. It’s worth every penny!

barnwintersportsengelstad
11-28-2017, 07:25 AM

Do you have to pay rent for use of the Fargo Dome to city of Fargo? Imagine if NDSU also had a 12,000 seat hockey arena that was paid for before it was built. Had two floors of bars/restaurants all the way around the concourses, price of tickets were $40-$50 (+$ Champions Club) per night with $99 per night for big rivalry games, about 20 home games a year with only two of those first round conference tournament games. Then had Conference and NCAA games on neutral ice, with a potential to sponsor. Oh and 50/50 games, Parking, etc. and the fans came from close and afar!

Christopher Moen
11-28-2017, 08:21 AM
Do you have to pay rent for use of the Fargo Dome to city of Fargo? Imagine if NDSU also had a 12,000 seat hockey arena that was paid for before it was built. Had two floors of bars/restaurants all the way around the concourses, price of tickets were $40-$50 (+$ Champions Club) per night with $99 per night for big rivalry games, about 20 home games a year with only two of those first round conference tournament games. Then had Conference and NCAA games on neutral ice, with a potential to sponsor. Oh and 50/50 games, Parking, etc. and the fans came from close and afar!

We settled on focusing on a major collegiate sport instead which supports American athletes and doesn't drain the Athletic Department's funds from the University's other sports.

And no, NDSU doesn't pay rent. It was part of the agreement with the City of the facility built on campus.

BisoninNWMN
11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Keep educating those Canadians.....:rofl:

Mr Meaty
11-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Do you have to pay rent for use of the Fargo Dome to city of Fargo? Imagine if NDSU also had a 12,000 seat hockey arena that was paid for before it was built. Had two floors of bars/restaurants all the way around the concourses, price of tickets were $40-$50 (+$ Champions Club) per night with $99 per night for big rivalry games, about 20 home games a year with only two of those first round conference tournament games. Then had Conference and NCAA games on neutral ice, with a potential to sponsor. Oh and 50/50 games, Parking, etc. and the fans came f close and afar!

Too bad you don't get all the revenue from the hockie stadium. You pay the Nazi man estate rent for the building. Plus they also get a cut of the food and beverage sales

Hammerhead
11-28-2017, 01:01 PM
At least now Big Ten teams will play the FHawkers since they dropped the old mascot. Who are their biggest conference rivals? Bemidji State or Colorado College?

IzzyFlexion
11-28-2017, 01:15 PM
At least now Big Ten teams will play the FHawkers since they dropped the old mascot. Who are their biggest conference rivals? Bemidji State or Colorado College?

Don't forget about mighty Conferder........I mean, Union College................https://i.pinimg.com/736x/a4/61/05/a46105f242754bdbe8a42b5d50b2a530--kevin-nealon-kevin-oleary.jpg yet another embarrassing loss.

kab1one
11-28-2017, 01:29 PM
Although $50 million may have been spent through the years, the Fargo and surrounding area economic impact is much smaller, although I am not discounting that fact 19K at the dome three weekends in December is a good thing.

If the NCAA takes 75% of the gates. That will take 21 games x's 17k (take out some student tickets) $40/per ticket x 75%= $10,710,000

I will make the point that the people from Fargo are just shifting disposable cash from one local expenditure to the bison game weekend. For example this weekend I bought 4 tickets. I am spending that $130 in Fargo anyways, this weekend it is spent on Bison tickets.

The economic benefit to Fargo come from the out of town fans that come to town, eat stay and spend money.

The real winner through the years and its no surprise is Frisco and the towns in between. Using 10k fans and average spend of $1,000 per fan, that is $10k a year spent going to Frisco. You can see the benefit there in the hotels, bars, restaurants and shoppes would be deserted if not for the football game. I realize much money is spent on getting to Frisco, but the impact is huge.

All good.

GRAFTONBISON
11-28-2017, 02:07 PM

Gosh, with all this extra income that university must have well funded and powerhouse women's hockey, baseball, golf, etc, etc, programs.

Bison"FANatic"
11-28-2017, 02:10 PM
I will make the point that the people from Fargo are just shifting disposable cash from one local expenditure to the bison game weekend. For example this weekend I bought 4 tickets. I am spending that $130 in Fargo anyways, this weekend it is spent on Bison tickets.

I will respectfully disagree. I know many people that this don't go on a vacation as often and spend the money on Bison games. I myself used to hunt just about every weekend from late September through early November and that money went out of town not the case anymore and it stays in Fargo.

kab1one
11-28-2017, 02:44 PM
I will respectfully disagree. I know many people that this don't go on a vacation as often and spend the money on Bison games. I myself used to hunt just about every weekend from late September through early November and that money went out of town not the case anymore and it stays in Fargo.

I don't disagree with you and thousands will have a similar story as you.

The point I am making it is not $50 million of new money to the economy. It may be 10 million or $15 million. In either case it is substantial, and its a time of the year that many of the businesses are impacted are slower.

KNOW IT ALL
11-28-2017, 03:30 PM
If i remember correctly..... didn't the Dome say the playoff games are what kicked them into the black a few/five years ago?

Were discussing all this crap and colleges are signing coaches to 5 Million per year contracts as we speak. Not to mention, just after terminating contracts and paying off the 10-20 million owed. STATE INSTITUTIONS by the way. As college sports fans, maybe were getting what we deserve!!!!

ByeSonBusiness
11-28-2017, 03:50 PM
Were discussing all this crap and colleges are signing coaches to 5 Million per year contracts as we speak. Not to mention, just after terminating contracts and paying off the 10-20 million owed. STATE INSTITUTIONS by the way. As college sports fans, maybe were getting what we deserve!!!!

Those state institutions have big donations on the line.

kab1one
11-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Those state institutions have big donations on the line.

Michigan for example received $50 million at the time of Jim Harbaugh signing. The $50 million went to an endowment to fund coaches salaries. The fact he gets 5-6 million or whatever the number, a large portion was funded by new, non state funds.

NDSU German from Russia
11-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Although $50 million may have been spent through the years, the Fargo and surrounding area economic impact is much smaller, although I am not discounting that fact 19K at the dome three weekends in December is a good thing.

If the NCAA takes 75% of the gates. That will take 21 games x's 17k (take out some student tickets) $40/per ticket x 75%= $10,710,000

The economic benefit to Fargo come from the out of town fans that come to town, eat stay and spend money.

The real winner through the years and its no surprise is Frisco and the towns in between. Using 10k fans and average spend of $1,000 per fan, that is $10k a year spent going to Frisco. You can see the benefit there in the hotels, bars, restaurants and shoppes would be deserted if not for the football game. I realize much money is spent on getting to Frisco, but the impact is huge.

All good.

I think Fargo makes out huge compared to Frisco. A (7) year run is crazy especially with 63 home games; 6 regular + 3 playoff.

It would be interesting to see some season ticket & team maker statistics related to zip code billing address to get an idea of travel, etc.

What % of people in the FargoDome for a give game are from Fargo/Moorhead? 25%?

I've spend numerous Saturday mornings driving east from Bismarck and it's crazy the amount of Bison fans rolling down 94.

I didn't realize NCAA takes 75% of ticket sale price during playoffs. That seems kinda high, no?

Hammerhead
11-28-2017, 08:25 PM
That ticket revenue is used to pay travel costs for the visiting team and officials. Flying (or even bussing) 100+ people and putting them up in a hotel for a couple of nights isn't cheap. I'm sure they lose money on some of the playoff games with low attendance.

I didn't realize NCAA takes 75% of ticket sale price during playoffs. That seems kinda high, no?

Bison"FANatic"
11-28-2017, 08:26 PM
I believe they lose money on the playoffs overall.

Christopher Moen
11-28-2017, 08:33 PM

I've covered this in the past, but part of the TV money the NCAA receives from Men's Basketball helps pay for the Championships of the other sports, except for FBS Football. FBS Football is ran by the P5 conferences and benefit its own TV revenue.

southcliffbison
11-28-2017, 10:29 PM
That ticket revenue is used to pay travel costs for the visiting team and officials. Flying (or even bussing) 100+ people and putting them up in a hotel for a couple of nights isn't cheap. I'm sure they lose money on some of the playoff games with low attendance.

Don't forget about the bids.........50 grand for the semis, 40 grand for the qts.

Mr Meaty
11-29-2017, 01:18 AM

Probably but not on games in Fargo

Gully
11-29-2017, 01:33 AM

I don't doubt that he said that. I would say, however, that if they couldn't find a way to add much to the bottom line by selling beer at the games, they were planning on doing it wrong.

56BISON73
11-29-2017, 03:42 AM
Don't forget about the bids.........50 grand for the semis, 40 grand for the qts.

The bids only come in to play if the 75% doesnt go over 50K. So if you only bring in 40 your still on the hook for the additional 10K. If I remember correctly.