PDA

View Full Version : Kneeling UNI Player?

Pages : [1] 2

KTF
10-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Ok, so I am going to go hot topic here but were my eyes deceiving me when I saw a UNI player kneeling and two other players standing next to him during the national anthem?

daddy daycare
10-29-2017, 09:44 PM
7 was kneeling. He also walked off the field after the game without shaking a hand. Tells me a little something about his character.

PlainsBison
10-29-2017, 09:50 PM
I noticed that at the end of the game as well. Everyone comes to the center of the field to shake hands. And there is #7 walking down the sideline, directly to the locker room. Win or lose, shake hands. Put your frustrations into playing a better game next game.

Bison"FANatic"
10-29-2017, 09:53 PM
I hope I never see that on our sideline!!!

NDSUSR
10-29-2017, 09:54 PM
http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3706&path=football

PlainsBison
10-29-2017, 09:57 PM
If I ever have to see a psychologist, prob not scheduling him.

X-Factor
10-29-2017, 09:59 PM
http://unipanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3706&path=football

I see he will have future opportunities to experience losses to the Bison

KTF
10-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the confirmation... I pointed it out to my wife at the game but couldn't tell who it was. I think it speaks volumes of the UNI program in general...

mebisonII
10-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the confirmation... I pointed it out to my wife at the game but couldn't tell who it was. I think it speaks volumes of the UNI program in general...

Lots of folks doing that for a variety of motivations and it’s a tricky thing for coaches to try to control, so if it continues to matriculate into CFB, I wouldn’t be that surprised to see it at NDSU.

Bison"FANatic"
10-29-2017, 11:38 PM
When you are a program run on donations that fund the scholarships that probably would not be a good thing to let happen.

Christopher Moen
10-29-2017, 11:50 PM
Ok, so I am going to go hot topic here but were my eyes deceiving me when I saw a UNI player kneeling and two other players standing next to him during the national anthem?

When both teams came out, they had players praying in the South end zone. NDSU came out first and every single player who had been praying was back to where they were supposed to be for the anthem.

UNI, on the other hand, still had players praying when the anthem started. Is this what you were referring to about taking a knee. I didn’t look to see if they got up soon after since I was focused on the anthem and flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAS4127
10-29-2017, 11:52 PM
When you are a program run on donations that fund the scholarships that probably would not be a good thing to let happen.

Nailed it!

BisonTeacher
10-29-2017, 11:54 PM
Lots of folks doing that for a variety of motivations and it’s a tricky thing for coaches to try to control, so if it continues to matriculate into CFB, I wouldn’t be that surprised to see it at NDSU.

As a coach I'd be more concerned about walking off the field without shaking hands than the kneeling.

mebisonII
10-29-2017, 11:54 PM
All it takes is one or two big donors who lean a little left and you’ve got a real conundrum.

I’m just saying that drawing the conclusion that ‘protestor = program gone amuck’ could come back to serve some crow.

All of the other evidence that UNI is a program amuck is still valid, though.

HerdBot
10-29-2017, 11:57 PM
It will never die if people keep talking about it. I am sick of hearing about it. The point has been made on both sides. Now move on

KTF
10-29-2017, 11:59 PM
When both teams came out, they had players praying in the South end zone. NDSU came out first and every single player who had been praying was back to where they were supposed to be for the anthem.

UNI, on the other hand, still had players praying when the anthem started. Is this what you were referring to about taking a knee. I didn’t look to see if they got up soon after since I was focused on the anthem and flag.

No it was during the anthem, the player was the furthest north uni player...

1998braves64
10-30-2017, 12:35 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThose all made it to standing at some point during "oh say can you see" phrase.

#7 wasn't one of those players as I'd kind of watched them out of the corner of my eye.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Bison 4 Life
10-30-2017, 12:37 AM
As a coach I'd be more concerned about walking off the field without shaking hands than the kneeling.

This.

10 char

unbison
10-30-2017, 12:47 AM
To the people worried about the kneeler do you yell bison during the anthem?

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 12:48 AM

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KTF
10-30-2017, 12:51 AM

I am not complaining, was merely asking a question. To answer your question, no I do not yell bison at the end of the anthem..

stevdock
10-30-2017, 12:57 AM
It will never die if people keep talking about it. I am sick of hearing about it. The point has been made on both sides. Now move on

You can be tired of hearing about it but nothing has been done to improve a situation that will only get worse if nothing is done. And to be honest 99.99% of white North Dakota and Upper Midwest has no idea where this protest is coming from since we have never dealt with the things they are talking about. And as long as Mr. Houston Texans owner says something stupid (yes I understand what he meant but that's not how it came out) that offends his entire team and a good portion of the NFL players than this needs to be dealt with.

Now on the other side of this I find it ridiculous that #7 knelt. For a lot of NFL players this is their platform that the world will see and then they have the opportunity to talk about. The world is not going to see NDSU play UNI and not a single person is going to ask #7 why he knelt and his friends stood behind him.

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 01:12 AM
You can be tired of hearing about it but nothing has been done to improve a situation that will only get worse if nothing is done. And to be honest 99.99% of white North Dakota and Upper Midwest has no idea where this protest is coming from since we have never dealt with the things they are talking about. And as long as Mr. Houston Texans owner says something stupid (yes I understand what he meant but that's not how it came out) that offends his entire team and a good portion of the NFL players than this needs to be dealt with.

Now on the other side of this I find it ridiculous that #7 knelt. For a lot of NFL players this is their platform that the world will see and then they have the opportunity to talk about. The world is not going to see NDSU play UNI and not a single person is going to ask #7 why he knelt and his friends stood behind him.

What situation? What needs to be done? Why does the NFL have to do anything and be involved? Why are employees protesting at work?

Christopher Moen
10-30-2017, 01:13 AM
Those all made it to standing at some point during "oh say can you see" phrase.

#7 wasn't one of those players as I'd kind of watched them out of the corner of my eye.

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

No it was during the anthem, the player was the furthest north uni player...

That I didn’t see. I just noticed those on the South end zone.

EC8CH
10-30-2017, 01:18 AM
In before the politics lockdown!

scbison91
10-30-2017, 01:25 AM
find it ironic that players kneel. It is basically a universal posture for being submissive.

89MTBISON
10-30-2017, 01:42 AM
The UNI players who prayed in the south endzone were a little late getting there, and a little slow standing for the anthem. By the time "by the dawns early light" was played, all UNI players who were in the endzone were standing. Some could tell they had kneeled a little too long and looked uncomfortable about it. They were directly in front of me, and I watched them like a hawk, with my hand over my heart, singing the anthem, off- key. I yell Bison as loud as I possibly can at the end of the anthem, with my hat removed til the colors have left the field.

stevdock
10-30-2017, 01:43 AM
find it ironic that players kneel. It is basically a universal posture for being submissive.

I'm not saying I agree with how these players are doing it but I respect them more after reading articles like the following:

https://www.snopes.com/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

We need to educate ourselves more to understand what is actually going on out there. You can disagree with the protest, whether it should be held during the national anthem, whether it should be held during a football game. But you are completely blind if you don't see that there is a problem here and I am very impressed by these young athletes for trying to take a stand for what they believe in IF they truly believe it. Is there risk? Absolutely as I completely believe Kaepernick was black-balled from the NFL for his stand. Could this along with other issues the NFL is dealing with completely wreck the NFL if not dealt with? Yes I believe we COULD be seeing the end of the NFL as we know it now.

scbison91
10-30-2017, 02:00 AM
I'm not saying I agree with how these players are doing it but I respect them more after reading articles like the following:

We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

We need to educate ourselves more to understand what is actually going on out there. You can disagree with the protest, whether it should be held during the national anthem, whether it should be held during a football game. But you are completely blind if you don't see that there is a problem here and I am very impressed by these young athletes for trying to take a stand for what they believe in IF they truly believe it. Is there risk? Absolutely as I completely believe Kaepernick was black-balled from the NFL for his stand. Could this along with other issues the NFL is dealing with completely wreck the NFL if not dealt with? Yes I believe we COULD be seeing the end of the NFL as we know it now. That is fine... Nice thing is that I don't have to watch them....

Bison 4 Life
10-30-2017, 02:03 AM
That is fine... Nice thing is that I don't have to watch them....

They also kind of don't need you to. I mean. Since we're just making observations and all.

89MTBISON

Amen, spot on post!

Bison 4 Life
In before the politics lockdown!

This is more a virtue signaling contest than a political argument.

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 02:05 AM

Why do we need to educate ourselves because of their behavior? They are entertainers. They need to play the game they are paid to play. You want to protest then protest after you are done at work. I dont tune in to a political program for deer hunting news. Just as I dont tune in a football game to here about what ever social injustice they think they are protesting on that given day.

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 02:10 AM

Enough people take that stand then the networks will have have to refund advertising money due to lower viewer ship. Guess where the majority of the salary money comes from for those big contracts? TV revenue.

reformedUNDfan
10-30-2017, 02:17 AM
Why do we need to educate ourselves because of their behavior? They are entertainers. They need to play the game they are paid to play. You want to protest then protest after you are done at work. I dont tune in to a political program for deer hunting news. Just as I dont tune in a football game to here about what ever social injustice they think they are protesting on that given day.
Waving the flag and signing the anthem is political. People want their politics in the game and demand the rest of us STFU, but unfortunately thats not how this works.

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 02:27 AM
Waving the flag and signing the anthem is political. People want their politics in the game and demand the rest of us STFU, but unfortunately thats not how this works.

Whose the rest of us? Ive never looked at the anthem as political. Its not about which side you are on.

tjamz
10-30-2017, 02:45 AM
To the people worried about the kneeler do you yell bison during the anthem?Exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bisonp
10-30-2017, 02:51 AM

Are you not American? The anthem is sung to bring us together as a nation. Even Lady GaGa understands that concept. So yeah, maybe you should STFU if you don't.

How it "works" is that you don't have freedom of consequences when you exercise free speech. Nor should you. I sure as hell can't be a political activist on my job. Nor could I when I was in the classroom. I don't care if they want to protest. So long as it isn't on the job.

CAS4127
10-30-2017, 02:56 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.

One is for fun, the other for protest. The gap between the two is wider than Grand Canyon and it’s an apples to oranges comparison. Good God!

coldspot
10-30-2017, 02:57 AM
#7 skipped the pregame hand shake too. Real winner

Mr Meaty
10-30-2017, 03:08 AM
#7 skipped the pregame hand shake too. Real winner

#farleyculture

DM05
10-30-2017, 03:15 AM
One is for fun, the other for protest. The gap between the two is wider than Grand Canyon and it’s an apples to oranges comparison. Good God!

I personally don't see what is so terribly disrespectful about kneeling silently instead of standing silently. It is nearly the most benign, passive form of protest I can think of...

But if anyone does think it is disrespectful/offensive, they would probably find the whole yelling Bison at the end disrespectful/offensive as well. With that said, which is a better reason: disrespect done as a silent protest, or disrespect simply for fun?

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 03:17 AM
I personally don't see what is so terribly disrespectful about kneeling silently instead of standing silently. It is nearly the most benign, passive form of protest I can think of...

But if anyone does think it is disrespectful/offensive, they would probably find the whole yelling Bison at the end disrespectful/offensive as well. With that said, which is a better reason: disrespect done as a silent protest, or disrespect simply for fun?

I dont care for either one. Do people do this at the office?

No_Skill
10-30-2017, 03:24 AM
I dont care for either one. Do people do this at the office?

Who cares? That's their employer's problem, not mine.

EC8CH
10-30-2017, 03:30 AM
This discussion has me imagining playing the National Anthem every morning at our office and monitoring our employees level of attention.

GFBison
10-30-2017, 03:44 AM

The one I saw was kneeling before the Anthem started, in prayer and seemed to get caught by surprise when the National Anthem started, there was a couple others standing by him. He finished his prayer and then lined up with the others. He made a motion like our guys do in the end zone after they finish their prayer. That's what I saw anyway.

MAKBison
10-30-2017, 03:52 AM

Yes they both got up!

HerdBot
10-30-2017, 04:00 AM

Despite being a white guy from North Dakota, I acknowledge that there is police brutality and it is a problem. However it has nothing to do with our federal government and national anthem so it's kind of a ridiculous protest

BisonTru
10-30-2017, 04:02 AM
Nobody would have even noticed this a few years ago. Like it or not. They have your attention.

MAKBison
10-30-2017, 04:03 AM

The anthem is the time we put politics aside to….
1) Reaffirm that we are working towards a society where we are ALL are free and equal!
2) Remember those who have given life and limb for that pursuit

Standing in unison as one is a reminder that we are all in this together and all need to do our part. But, I guess you get what we have today when you take civics out of school!

MAKBison
10-30-2017, 04:16 AM
Despite being a white guy from North Dakota, I acknowledge that there is police brutality and it is a problem. However it has nothing to do with our federal government and national anthem so it's kind of a ridiculous protest

Being a white guy makes it more probable that you will be shot be LE....that’s just a statistical fact! Minority on minority brutality dwarfs the small % of police brutality that exists. While neither is tolerable, wearing pig socks and knelling against blue is damn naive and petty. If they want to solve issue of brutlaity, they should start by prioritizing the role and responsibilities of fathers, strengthen the idea of family, create community and encourage the inclusion of faith! SO to your point NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is talking about what I just wrote all they are talking about the inappropriateness of kneeling. SO yeah it does not matter if its UNI or the NFL the results are the same.

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 04:18 AM
Nobody would have even noticed this a few years ago. Like it or not. They have your attention.

If they want to be thought as jackasses then yes they have brought that attention to themselves.

bisonfanette
10-30-2017, 04:37 AM
[QUOTE=89MTBISON;1233954]The UNI players who prayed in the south endzone were a little late getting there, and a little slow standing for the anthem. By the time "by the dawns early light" was played, all UNI players who were in the endzone were standing. Some could tell they had kneeled a little too long and looked uncomfortable about it. They were directly in front of me, and I watched them like a hawk, with my hand over my heart, singing the anthem, off- key. I yell Bison as loud as I possibly can at the end of the anthem, with my hat removed til the colors have left the field.[/

I have sat behind the "Ndsu alumni association" people a couple of times, the most recent was at the EWU game. They didn't begin to show respect for the flag until it left the field.
As soon as the National Anthem was finished... they began to cheer, raise their sign, & cheer some more.... the American flag was in the center of the field. Many people need a good reminder on showing respect for the flag, until it has left the field.

EC8CH
10-30-2017, 04:56 AM
If this threads distracts any of you from bringing grade A bunny smack this week I am going to be so pissed.

tjamz
10-30-2017, 06:01 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBoth could be viewed as extremely disrespectful to our country and/or servicemen and women.

Personally I hate that they are protesting during the anthem, but am smart enough to realize that they aren't protesting/upset with the anthem itself. Are least no more than protesters on a street aren't protesting/upset with the street they are standing on. When people protest at the Whitehouse, they aren't necessarily protesting the building or the country, but rather are trying to get people to pay attention to their cause. To get people talking (like we are) which hopefully, eventuality leads to dialogue, understanding and results.

Would I ever protest during the anthem? No. But I'm damn proud that we live in a country that doesn't make patriotism compulsory. I'm proud that we live in a country where you can protest/say things that are unpopular/have a differing opinion without fear of persecution. I'm proud of the men and women who have, over the years, fought Nazism and fascism so that we are free to do this as Americans.

Now, I also agree with those who say "you can't do this at work" and believe employers should have a say if/when these activities can take place (I know of at least a dozen employers in the FM area that make time and space for individual religious activities...aka prayer time which I think is a reasonable compromise). Perhaps NFL owners realize that they truly don't have the power here (their business is only as successful as their on field assets) and that they need to find ways to appease both sides.

TLDR: I may not agree with what you're saying, but I'll gladly fight for your right to say it.

tjbison
10-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Bunny fans will be throwing their yearly crying about the anthem

runtheoption
10-30-2017, 02:17 PM
Tony, why are you letting this political stuff go here on Bisonville? It's like having the inmates run the prison!

Herd Mentality
10-30-2017, 02:40 PM
I'm more worried about their culture. After the drive which saw 2 late hits out of bounds, their team was welcomed back to the sideline by me yelling "CHEATERS" as loud as I possibly could. In a first, one of their players ran over to the railing and yelled "F**K YOU, YOU F**KING WHITE BOY" right in my face. One of the most aggressive moves I've ever seen...after one of the coaches pulled him away he started crying, which was odd.

I imagine I'll get another letter threatening to take away my season tickets again.

El_Chapo
10-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Tony, why are you letting this political stuff go here on Bisonville? It's like having the inmates run the prison!

i see what you did there. ps MWILL was a part of the houston texans sit down, shall we crucify him?? I don't think so.

Mr Meaty
10-30-2017, 03:07 PM
I'm more worried about their culture. After the drive which saw 2 late hits out of bounds, their team was welcomed back to the sideline by me yelling "CHEATERS" as loud as I possibly could. In a first, one of their players ran over to the railing and yelled "F**K YOU, YOU F**KING WHITE BOY" right in my face. One of the most aggressive moves I've ever seen...after one of the coaches pulled him away he started crying, which was odd.

I imagine I'll get another letter threatening to take away my season tickets again.

This was the only game so far this year they beefed up security where the visiting comes in and out. I am not sure what they were worried about but the had extra security on the field and up in the stands at the end of the game. UNI brings it on themselves.
On a lighter note, I talked during the game with two of the nicest grandparents of UNI players. Had a great football discussion.

Farmer63
10-30-2017, 03:11 PM
I'll stand with my hand over my heart for the anthem. I won't yell Bison, I'll sing brave. I'll shake my opponents hand after every game. And I won't give a damn what anybody else does otherwise.

ndsubison1
10-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Other than sports/military stuff, where do they do the national anthem for work?

NDSUBowler
10-30-2017, 03:29 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/074/461/I-SEE-WHAT-YOU-DID-THERE_HOLYSHIT.jpg

NDSUBowler
10-30-2017, 03:36 PM
It's bugged me for quite awhile that there is likely a high crossover of people who are upset at kneelers yet happily yell out "Home of the *Insert Team Here*". It's fairly hypocritical and inconsistent.

If you don't say "Bison" and think kneelers are disrespectful, fine, I disagree with you, but at least you are consistent with your views

If you say "Bison" and are fine with the kneeling, then, again, you are consistent with your views.

If you say "Bison" and find the kneelers disrespectful, you need to take a closer look at the hypocrisy in your views. Whether it's "for fun" or "for protest" they both still either fall under respectful or disrespectful.

You can't differentiate just because you do one and you don't do the other. (well you CAN...it's your choice...but you should be rightfully criticized for doing so)

Bison 4 Life
10-30-2017, 03:41 PM
They think that NDSU gameday staff set them up. Something about timing of the anthem and praying.

Typical salty Monday after a Panther loss to the Bison

wagsabison
10-30-2017, 03:42 PM
It's bugged me for quite awhile that there is likely a high crossover of people who are upset at kneelers yet happily yell out "Land of the *Insert Team Here*". It's fairly hypocritical and inconsistent.

If you don't say "Bison" and think kneelers are disrespectful, fine, I disagree with you, but at least you are consistent with your views

If you say "Bison" and are fine with the kneeling, then, again, you are consistent with your views.

If you say "Bison" and find the kneelers disrespectful, you need to take a closer look at the hypocrisy in your views. Whether it's "for fun" or "for protest" they both still either fall under respectful or disrespectful.

You can't differentiate just because you do one and you don't do the other. (well you CAN...it's your choice...but you should be rightfully criticized for doing so)

I agree. I won't do either but I like the fact we live in a country where we can do what we want.

Bisonator98
10-30-2017, 03:43 PM
This whole "controversy" is stupid IMO. If someone wants to kneel who gives a shit. I don't think it's creating any changes but I don't think it's a big deal either. If someone wants to look like an ass so be it. I think there are way more important things to worry about but that's just my opinion.

Mr Meaty
10-30-2017, 03:51 PM
It's bugged me for quite awhile that there is likely a high crossover of people who are upset at kneelers yet happily yell out "Home of the *Insert Team Here*". It's fairly hypocritical and inconsistent.

You make good points but since you are talking about respecting or disrespecting the flag you can not forget about leaving your hat off your head until the colors are retired. 98% of hats get put back on right away.

Bison"FANatic"
10-30-2017, 03:53 PM

Criticize away all you want.

Yelling Bison has no political implication for me. I do not want my politics and sports mixed.

I have been a San Francisco 49er fan for over 3 decades. After Debartalo had to leave and his sister and her kids took over they have done nothing but run the franchise into the ground. Now last week they are weighing in on gun control and other stances. I don't care if they weigh in with a pro conservative, pro liberal or pro libertarian stances. I don't want politics with my sports. I told my wife yesterday the 49er stuff can go to the boys ranch and we will take the tax deduction. Except for the 49er blanket in the basement I like that it is warm and very comfy that can stay:biggrin:.

NDSUBowler
10-30-2017, 03:54 PM
You make good points but since you are talking about respecting or disrespecting the flag you can not forget about leaving your hat off your head until the colors are retired. 98% of hats get put back on right away.

Absolutely! The "respect" aspect should apply to everything or nothing. Whether that be kneeling, yelling "Bison", fans sitting, hats back on, people talking or any other thing that can be labeled as disrespect of the flag.

reformedUNDfan
10-30-2017, 03:55 PM
1) Reaffirm that we are working towards a society where we are ALL are free and equal!

Standing in unison as one is a reminder that we are all in this together and all need to do our part. But, I guess you get what we have today when you take civics out of school!

1) is an absolute lie, which is why we protest

NDSUBowler
10-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Criticize away all you want.

Yelling Bison has no political implication for me. I do not want my politics and sports mixed.

I have been a San Francisco 49er fan for over 3 decades. After Debartalo had to leave and his sister and her kids took over they have done nothing but run the franchise into the ground. Now last week they are weighing in on gun control and other stances. I don't care if they weigh in with a pro conservative, pro liberal or pro libertarian stances. I don't want politics with my sports. I told my wife yesterday the 49er stuff can go to the boys ranch and we will take the tax deduction. Except for the 49er blanket in the basement I like that it is warm and very comfy that can stay:biggrin:.
It is your right to take that stance and my post wasn't meant to be geared towards people with your thought process. We can debate all we want about whether politics should be in sports or not, but my post was simply about the folks who claim kneeling is disrespectful but yelling "Bison" isn't.

You seem to be more of the "I just dont want to deal with it" ilk, which isn't what my post was meant for!

bisonp
10-30-2017, 04:00 PM

98% of people don't know that is considered disrespectful. People who yell or kneel do know their actions can be considered disrespectful. And kneelers are doing it solely for political purposes.

All three scenarios are different, it's disingenuous to claim or imply they are the same.

KNOW IT ALL
10-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Kneeling for injustice and police brutality. Quick question in regard to that issue: If 80% of the prison population in the U.S. is of people of color, would it not be statistically possible that 20% of the time its a white person being beaten by a rogue cop or officers? Please, while taking a knee give that a bit of thought.

reformedUNDfan
10-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Being a white guy makes it more probable that you will be shot be LE....that’s just a statistical fact! Minority on minority brutality dwarfs the small % of police brutality that exists. While neither is tolerable, wearing pig socks and knelling against blue is damn naive and petty. If they want to solve issue of brutlaity, they should start by prioritizing the role and responsibilities of fathers, strengthen the idea of family, create community and encourage the inclusion of faith! SO to your point NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is talking about what I just wrote all they are talking about the inappropriateness of kneeling. SO yeah it does not matter if its UNI or the NFL the results are the same.

I don't think you get to call anyone naive after this post.

nearly 1 in 10 homicides in america is by law enforcement, and that only includes incidents before jail. Once you get to jail, we make extensive use of torture in the form of solitary confinement, even without conviction. Some parts of the country (hello Louisiana!) have turned their prison systems into large scale slavery, which is legal for prisoners under our constitutions. We imprison more people than any other country. Lack of fathers is not the problem, and there is only a 'lack of fathers' because we put so many in jail for petty crap like possession. Lack of 'faith' is definitely not the problem, last I checked atheists have much lower crime rates than Christians.

AKBison
10-30-2017, 04:20 PM

nearly 1 in 10 homicides in america is by law enforcement, and that only includes incidents before jail. Once you get to jail, we make extensive use of torture in the form of solitary confinement, even without conviction. Some parts of the country (hello Louisiana!) have turned their prison systems into large scale slavery, which is legal for prisoners under our constitutions. We imprison more people than any other country. Lack of fathers is not the problem, and there is only a 'lack of fathers' because we put so many in jail for petty crap like possession. Lack of 'faith' is definitely not the problem, last I checked atheists have much lower crime rates than Christians.

Geze man, do us a favor and stay in Grand Forks. Anyways, I was at the game as well and saw the UNI players kneeling in prayer, it seems like maybe we just started the anthem a little early. I was in the North end zone and didn't see a kneeling UNI player. Had we seen him, the less than sober group I was with would have booed him and made a big scene about it.

KNOW IT ALL
10-30-2017, 04:40 PM
If 9 out of 10 homicides in the country were by law enforcement we wouldn't have 3 million people in our U.S. prison system either. Over 400 people were shot in Chicago over 4th of July weekend 2017, I don't think bad cops were the problem!!!

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Absolutely! The "respect" aspect should apply to everything or nothing. Whether that be kneeling, yelling "Bison", fans sitting, hats back on, people talking or any other thing that can be labeled as disrespect of the flag.

I think you are now confusing disrespect and not knowing proper etiquette . The hairs are starting to get split pretty thin here.

NDSUBowler
10-30-2017, 04:57 PM
I think you are now confusing disrespect and not knowing proper etiquette . The hairs are starting to get split pretty thin here.

Which is a fair point and why my original example used the two most 'blatantly obvious' examples I could think of (hat off DURING anthem could have also been added, but for the most part, most people comply with this one)

HerdBot
10-30-2017, 05:01 PM

The high percentage of minorities being incarcerated has much to do with decades of oppression which lead to poverty. It's frightening that the civil rights movement was a recent as the 1960s. Poverty more times than not takes many generations to go away. Not everyone obviously but it's something many people don't have to deal with

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 05:08 PM

What does all of that bullshit have to do with a football game? Thats right. Nothing. Go wave your flag else where.

westnodak93bison
10-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Tony, why are you letting this political stuff go here on Bisonville? It's like having the inmates run the prison!I'm offended that you are offended

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

westnodak93bison
10-30-2017, 05:33 PM
1) is an absolute lie, which is why we protestCome on, everyone is striving for Utopia!

KNOW IT ALL
10-30-2017, 05:39 PM
What does all of that bullshit have to do with a football game? Thats right. Nothing. Go wave your flag else where.

Because, somebody started a thread in regard to something that took place on the sideline of a Bison Game. Question as well: Why do you feel the need to enter the thread if you have no interest in its content? Is it because you are nosey and choose to be offended? MOMMY MOMMY everytime I touch that fire it burns my hand, tell it to stop! (too funny)

CaBisonFan
10-30-2017, 05:54 PM
The best way to treat the kneeling players is to ignore them.

56BISON73
10-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Because, somebody started a thread in regard to something that took place on the sideline of a Bison Game. Question as well: Why do you feel the need to enter the thread if you have no interest in its content? Is it because you are nosey and choose to be offended? MOMMY MOMMY everytime I touch that fire it burns my hand, tell it to stop! (too funny)

Actually the content and direction changed from the op. Hence my statement. Try to keep up. Too funny.

Professor Chaos
10-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Lurked over to the Panther Nation board on this just to see if this is something that Neal or any of their players do regularly and a few over there are claiming that it was NDSU's fault because they were told by event staff to run out onto the field right before the anthem and they aren't supposed to run out until after the anthem so they were going through their pre-game prayer routine when the anthem was started.

In short... it was an NDSU/Fargodome hatched conspiracy to make UNI players look bad. :irslow:

Christopher Moen
10-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Other than sports/military stuff, where do they do the national anthem for work?

Maybe if the DOD pays a company for it, they will? https://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/

But seriously, what other industry has this many spectators for live event? Prowrestling maybe. I'm not sure if they do the National Anthem now at WrestleMania, but during the early years, they had celebrities sing "America the Beautiful" instead prior to the event.

In regards to the kneeling, regardless of what your feelings are about, everyone feels they are right and the opposition is wrong, which is pretty much what the Green Beret (the guy who suggested kneeling in order to remain respectful to the flag and military) wrote in his second letter to Kaepernick. Right now, regardless of what side you're on, it's about winning. Sadly, it's this type of politics that keeps us from being a better society. Maybe this is why many to most marriages don't work anymore, people don't know when to compromise and which battles to fight. This "battle" over kneeling isn't important enough to me in regards to enjoying sports. That's why I let it go.

BisonLaw
10-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Lurked over to the Panther Nation board on this just to see if this is something that Neal or any of their players do regularly and a few over there are claiming that it was NDSU's fault because they were told by event staff to run out onto the field right before the anthem and they aren't supposed to run out until after the anthem so they were going through their pre-game prayer routine when the anthem was started.

In short... it was an NDSU/Fargodome hatched conspiracy to make UNI players look bad. :irslow:

The "Farley culture" extends to their fanbase. Every other team has managed to figure out when to come out this year, meanwhile UNI was in the tunnel about 3 minutes too early :facepalm:

KNOW IT ALL
10-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Give these Liberal flag kneeling folks a couple more years and we can convince these clowns that its 'SOP' to kneel for the anthem, soon enough they will revolt by standing and facing the flag. "Not just anybody can paint that fence".

Bisonator98
10-30-2017, 07:15 PM

Lol we are so in their heads.:rofl:

BlueBisonRock
10-30-2017, 07:27 PM
Lol we are so in their heads.:rofl:

As StLouis would state: "We have a rent free suite in their heads".

Portlandbison
10-30-2017, 11:51 PM
Don't give a damn what players do for the anthem but he made an enough of an impact with his protest that 10 pages of posts on an opposing teams message board discuss it. I'd say his protest was at least successful in bringing attention to him and his cause.

Btw, marcus williams #40 had a nice game yesterday7957

Bisonfanatical
10-31-2017, 12:53 AM
To the people worried about the kneeler do you yell bison during the anthem?True ... this to some of us is about the game, they Kneel and make a statement I don't want to hear about, nor do I care.
I never gave a crap about the politics or the racial baiting of these people or any other people in this world of ANY race or ANY party.

Play football or get the hell out of there and go flip burgers. None of these problems change one thing about my life from when I get up till I go to bed.

Except for me being a Homer watching carson I don't watch any other team including my Patriots. I have disabled my apps. for this season these teams are toast.

We are not hostages to these fruitcakes ... imo

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

EndZoneQB
10-31-2017, 01:31 AM
True ... this to some of us is about the game, they Kneel and make a statement I don't want to hear about, nor do I care.
I never gave a crap about the politics or the racial baiting of these people or any other people in this world of ANY race or ANY party.

Play football or get the hell out of there and go flip burgers. None of these problems change one thing about my life from when I get up till I go to bed.

Except for me being a Homer watching carson I don't watch any other team including my Patriots. I have disabled my apps. for this season these teams are toast.

We are not hostages to these fruitcakes ... imo

Because it doesn't change your life you don't care about it? What a great attitude.

BisonLaw
10-31-2017, 03:49 AM
Farley discusses the Anthem incident starting at the 12:45 mark.

https://soundcloud.com/newstalk1540kxel/103017-mark-farley-press-conference

Hail bison
10-31-2017, 04:11 AM
Way too much bullshit to read in this thread. My financial support of this program will end should I see our coach allow a player(or players) kneel, protest or whatever. Outside this forum , the dominant opinion of the alums and financial backing of the university.

MAKBison
10-31-2017, 04:26 AM
1) is an absolute lie, which is why we protest

your wrong. its reaffirming what we strive for not what we have. no country is perfect, but i have been to plenty that would just as soon put a bullet through your head than strive for freedom and equality

MAKBison
10-31-2017, 04:28 AM
Don't give a damn what players do for the anthem but he made an enough of an impact with his protest that 10 pages of posts on an opposing teams message board discuss it. I'd say his protest was at least successful in bringing attention to him and his cause.

only 3 post in this thread talk about the issues that the kneeling was supposed to highlight. fail, he actually protested in a manner that co opted his girlfriends message

MAKBison
10-31-2017, 04:41 AM

white males are disproportionately shot by LE officers more than any other group.....the research is pretty clear on this. Less than .02 percent of contact between le and the public result le drawing a weapon let alone firing one.
The man is not systematically torturing anyone in prison...salitary confinment is not considered torture. BTW you do not get to pick which laws are constitutional and then base your support of kneeling on your constitutional right. Faith does not denote Christianity. But, again, the decline in faith (specially the Christian faith) especially in the AA community has been traced and corealtes to a spike in criminal activity specific within this ethnic group.
And a huuuggggeee yeah it is.... The breakup of the nuclear family is recognized as a huge problem leading to criminality. Again, the literture does not even attempt to dispute this.
Finally, criminal behavior and incarcerstion is not what causes dads to adandon kids....mater of fact many states have programs to ensure family members and prisoners stay connected throughout the incarceration process. there are all sorts reintegration programs msny include family counseling.

i am adding this just for kicks......hands up dont shot is based on a lie.....it never happened. every level of government cleared the shooting based on eye witnees testimony and forensic examination.

i am sure u r well intended, but your rhetoric is careless and dangerous....it heates up low information folks and as history shows they wind up shooting cops. not cool!

look we are for equality no one here is against it, but talk and kneeling are cheap and thus far have done nothing but further devided us. if want to exact change do something that brings people together.

UTH
10-31-2017, 04:48 AM

Indeed. Which is also the reason that it is tacky to yell Bison at the end of the National Anthem...

56BISON73
10-31-2017, 05:52 AM
don't give a damn what players do for the anthem but he made an enough of an impact with his protest that 10 pages of posts on an opposing teams message board discuss it. I'd say his protest was at least successful in bringing negative attention to him and his cause.

fyp..................

Portlandbison
10-31-2017, 02:16 PM
only 3 post in this thread talk about the issues that the kneeling was supposed to highlight. fail, he actually protested in a manner that co opted his girlfriends message

Don't have the time/dont care to go through 11 pages to count how many posts concern police brutality. But as a 21 year old he made a protest that he felt important enough and brought some attention to the cause. I can respect his actions even if I don't agree with them. And this board/fargodome isn't exactly a hotbed of diversity so I think he was as successful as he possibly could be with his protest and knew that the majority of North Dakotans wouldnt agree with it.

Don't know anything about rickey neals girlfriend, but if you are talking about kaepernick you cant say his protest didnt bring attention to the cause.

As its been said repeatedly the difference between kneeling and yelling bison isnt nearly as far as some here would like you to believe.

KNOW IT ALL
10-31-2017, 02:28 PM
" Here I am America! Change for ME! " And dare I say "Merry Christmas".

runtheoption
10-31-2017, 02:38 PM
So, can we kneel in front of our seats, put our horns up on one hand and the other hand up balled up into a fist, and yell "Bison" at the end of the National Anthem?

I want to bring awareness to just how horrible Lutheran-church coffee really is. Coffee grounds that come from a container where you use a can opener to open it? No thanks, you heathens.

KNOW IT ALL
10-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Oh, go back to Sweden you Lutheran, or, go back to whatever country of origin you may be from. It apparently is much better than Here? :duel:

IzzyFlexion
10-31-2017, 04:39 PM
So, can we kneel in front of our seats, put our horns up on one hand and the other hand up balled up into a fist, and yell "Bison" at the end of the National Anthem?

I want to bring awareness to just how horrible Lutheran-church coffee really is. Coffee grounds that come from a container where you use a can opener to open it? No thanks, you heathens.

MODS:

Can one of you put this malcontent on moderation, please?

How can one be so pissy about horseshit coffee? You're probably the same schmuck that I see at Hope Lutheran once in a great while chugging communion Jesus Juice straight out of the bottle. Do us all a favor and stay home on Sundays and practice your ever so important secular lifestyle with your hands down yer tighty whities.

At other BV members: I've seen this prissy java snob at the Cash Wise Caribou Coffee kiosk too many tikes to count demanding an honorary employee discount.

Where do you come off bitching about the sacred roasted grounds offered by God-fearing Looterans?

Such a little girl!

Oh........and yeah........I will tell you this. I have, and will continue to hock gigantic loogies into your designer flavored syrup dispensers parked by the $841.00 Keurig station at your tailgate spot while you're engaging in mindless chatter to your extensive throng of 2 bit lot lizards that frequent your space each and every home game.

-holy shit........I just went a long way to satirize your egregious attitude.......But, it turns out that I have that kind of free time. Sure, I could get a regular job. But, I'd rather drive out of town Bisonvillers around (ala Bison 4 Life last Saturday)......................wait..............w hat?.............he took a cab?..............what?..............it was an Uber?...........well, then f*ck all of y'all! Shit suckers!*

*fake rant over.

Bison bison
10-31-2017, 05:24 PM

If you think you can do better, please become a police officer.

African Americans commit about half of the murders and violent crimes in this country are only 13% of population.

The absence of a biological father is highly correlated with incarceration rates. There are few better indicators of a kid ending up having a f#cked up life than the biological father not being around.

bisonaudit
10-31-2017, 07:00 PM
Nick DeLuca is adopted.

Bison 4 Life
10-31-2017, 07:04 PM
In before hall of shame.

BlueBisonRock
10-31-2017, 09:34 PM
Don't have the time/dont care to go through 11 pages to count how many posts concern police brutality. But as a 21 year old he made a protest that he felt important enough and brought some attention to the cause. I can respect his actions even if I don't agree with them. And this board/fargodome isn't exactly a hotbed of diversity so I think he was as successful as he possibly could be with his protest and knew that the majority of North Dakotans wouldnt agree with it.

Don't know anything about rickey neals girlfriend, but if you are talking about kaepernick you cant say his protest didnt bring attention to the cause.

As its been said repeatedly the difference between kneeling and yelling bison isnt nearly as far as some here would like you to believe.

There are days. Its not that I disagree, it is why.

There is a term that has been used too many times that shows disrespect. The term was identified as being offensive and disrespectful. I understood this and the n-word is no longer a part of my vocabulary. Nor do I accept its use.

I see the disrespect that is coming from the kneelers and their supporters as I lost an uncle in WWII at the Battle of the Bulge. He was a tanker. I never had the opportunity to meet him while I did meet his four brothers who also served in this nightmare (one was my father). I also attended multiple funerals for my son's peers while he served. I still hurt for the parents of these young men who were killed in the prime of their lives while protecting the freedoms for our country and the countries in which they served. The simple act of kneelers saying their feelings matter more than mine or these parents looses any support I could give them. Especially when their thesis is built on a series of incorrect data (refer to posts by MAK for the supporting data).

I also remember the absolute crap that our military had to tolerate when they returned from Vietnam. The attack on the flag and the anthem we are seeing from the kneelers is going down the same path. I was ashamed of those protesters and am as ashamed of today's kneelers.

So, is it ok to whine about one form of disrespect, then demonstrate another?

I do not yell 'home of the Bison' at the end of the anthem. The first time I heard this usage it was 'home of the Sioux'. Not only is the use disrespectful, the roots of its use is disrespectful. And, I do hold my cap over my heart as the flag is leaving the field. If you and others were to read the flag code, you would find this as the recommended show of respect for the flag. No major worries for you though as the flag code does not call for any penalty.

bisonaudit
10-31-2017, 09:42 PM
This is America. We’re for freedom, not engaging in a contest to determine who’s more patriotic.

Soldiers are soldiers and a flag is a flag. Comparisons to how today’s veterans are treated by the public to the Vietnam era are absurd.

BlueBisonRock
10-31-2017, 10:21 PM
This is America. We’re for freedom, not engaging in a contest to determine who’s more patriotic.

Soldiers are soldiers and a flag is a flag. Comparisons to how today’s veterans are treated buy the public to the Vietnam era are absurd.

Please keep your focus on the topic at hand which is disrespect rather than being patriotic.

BTW: It is by not buy. Absurd that you would turn a preposition indicating a means of achieving with a transitive verb indicating payment to acquire possession. Service is service. Death is death. Disrespect is intolerable.

bisonaudit
10-31-2017, 10:53 PM
Please keep your focus on the topic at hand which is disrespect rather than being patriotic.

BTW: It is by not buy. Absurd that you would turn a preposition indicating a means of achieving with a transitive verb indicating payment to acquire possession. Service is service. Death is death. Disrespect is intolerable.

No one is disrespecting soldiers. I don’t think the topic is disrespect. I think the topic clearly is brown people being discriminated against. And I think that the various ploys by people who are uncomfortable with that reality to use the service of brave men and women as a cover to avoid confronting the real issue is disrespectful.

TAILG8R
10-31-2017, 10:58 PM
No one is disrespecting soldiers. I don’t think the topic is disrespect. I think the topic clearly is brown people being discriminated against. And I think that the various ploys by people who are uncomfortable with that reality to use the service of brave men and women as a cover to avoid confronting the real issue is disrespectful.

Ding ding ding!

I would venture to guess you’ll see some of that same tap dancing in response to your post.

BlueBisonRock
10-31-2017, 11:22 PM

Interesting retort. Each individual who takes a knee has their own rational. And they have the freedom to do so. I have the same freedom in how I react to their action. I see it as disrespect. When race is brought into the discussion, it becomes an attempt to shame. Which in its own way is also disrespectful.

As the story goes, my future son in law is a deep shade of brown. To date, this has not been an issue and we have had serious discussions on a number of topics. I guarantee he understands that even when we disagree, I do have his back. When we make the personal qualities the defining criteria rather than race, we can make progress. When we approach the question with a perception of guilt and ignore facts and the underlying personal qualities, we can't get past failure.

BlueBisonRock
10-31-2017, 11:23 PM
Ding ding ding!

I would venture to guess you’ll see some of that same tap dancing in response to your post.

Do you still beat your wife?

TAILG8R
10-31-2017, 11:43 PM
Do you still beat your wife?

Aren’t you a clever girl.

I never started. But as with your assertion that you can have your opinions I can have mine. How metropolitan of you to accept a brown man into your family.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171031/c1d80ddd63f3d36ac68ec42247ec1c1c.jpeg

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 12:25 AM

Being a former member of the military I can assure you that the whole idea of kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to members of and the memory of those who are and have served our country. Many people I have talked to about the anthem and the flag do not know the story, I am not here to educate, but many people should look up why when and how the Star Spangled Banner was written. The whole song is intended to the valor of the US military and their effort to make sure that the flag stayed up at all costs. The national anthem is a stand alone moment at any event that it is played at, it is not tied to any other purpose than to thank those who served and to honor anyone who fought for the freedom of our country against overwhelming odds. The national anthem and the flag never stood for racism of any sort. So to choose that moment when we are asked to honor them, people are asked to face the flag and place their hands over their hearts and remove headgear (that part is directly related to the military). If you are not comfortable with those acts, then out of respect at least stand and remain silent. Go to a hockey game for christ sake and everyone still stays standing for the Canadian anthem even if they are a US citizen and vis versa for our anthem at those events. I have a very hard time believing that any kneeler picked the moment they decided to take a knee for any other reason that knowing they would get the most attention based on the reaction. And now it is impossible to retract because they would come across as weak.

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 12:33 AM
Just lock this thread. its starting to get personal, both sides aren't going to agree nor change any minds. It's just dumb at this point.

NDSUSR
11-01-2017, 01:07 AM
Just lock this thread. its starting to get personal, both sides aren't going to agree nor change any minds. It's just dumb at this point.

I would post my political thoughts regarding this, but last time I did someone took their ball and went home for 24 hours.
I will spare you guys another timeout. :)

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 01:57 AM

Yep, like most things political in today's world, it's about winning and little about compromising and understanding.

BisonNeil
11-01-2017, 02:02 AM
I noticed that at the end of the game as well. Everyone comes to the center of the field to shake hands. And there is #7 walking down the sideline, directly to the locker room. Win or lose, shake hands. Put your frustrations into playing a better game next game.

Wasn't he the guy who hit Stick on the non-play due to a UNI TO near the south endzone and pouted and yelled at the refs after his late hit PF penalty?

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Wasn't he the guy who hit Stick on the non-play due to a UNI TO near the south endzone and pouted and yelled at the refs after his late hit PF penalty?

Yes. He tried to pull up on the hit, but failed and knocked over Stick who was unbalanced to begin with. Luckily, cooler heads, especially on the Bison, prevailed.

56BISON73
11-01-2017, 02:19 AM

At least you didnt disparage the hotdish!

PlrbrBison
11-01-2017, 02:29 AM
Being a former member of the military I can assure you that the whole idea of kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to members of and the memory of those who are and have served our country. Many people I have talked to about the anthem and the flag do not know the story, I am not here to educate, but many people should look up why when and how the Star Spangled Banner was written. The whole song is intended to the valor of the US military and their effort to make sure that the flag stayed up at all costs. The national anthem is a stand alone moment at any event that it is played at, it is not tied to any other purpose than to thank those who served and to honor anyone who fought for the freedom of our country against overwhelming odds. The national anthem and the flag never stood for racism of any sort. So to choose that moment when we are asked to honor them, people are asked to face the flag and place their hands over their hearts and remove headgear (that part is directly related to the military). If you are not comfortable with those acts, then out of respect at least stand and remain silent. Go to a hockey game for christ sake and everyone still stays standing for the Canadian anthem even if they are a US citizen and vis versa for our anthem at those events. I have a very hard time believing that any kneeler picked the moment they decided to take a knee for any other reason that knowing they would get the most attention based on the reaction. And now it is impossible to retract because they would come across as weak.

AMEN!!! Perfect. Thank you.

NorthernBison
11-01-2017, 02:40 AM
Well, we learned the dangers of being the grammar police.

Diss a guy about using buy instead of by. Then make the mistake of using rational instead of rationale. Karma.

Professor Chaos
11-01-2017, 02:50 AM
Yes. He tried to pull up on the hit, but failed and knocked over Stick who was unbalanced to begin with. Luckily, cooler heads, especially on the Bison, prevailed.
I think it was more of an Academy Award worthy performance from Stick than him being off balance.

56BISON73
11-01-2017, 02:53 AM

Youre at a football game. Why should you be confronted at all?. The ploys being used I dont find uncomfortable. I find them distasteful and classless. Playing the race card when 75% of the NFL is brown I find ludicrous.

westnodak93bison
11-01-2017, 03:12 AM
In this country you can make an ass out of yourself without serious consequences most of the time. Imagine pulling a similar stunt in the countries we chose to defeat in war. Doesn't that say something?

Bisonfanatical
11-01-2017, 03:52 AM
Because it doesn't change your life you don't care about it? What a great attitude.Thanks. [emoji4]

bisonaudit
11-01-2017, 04:08 AM

Didn't get past the first sentence because the decorated former military man Kapernick consulted before he started kneeling disagrees with your opinion.

He was sitting and that upset military people. He consulted one seeking a middle ground that would still allow his message to get across. He actively sought a compromise but clearly that wasn't good enough for everyone. Not that you could reasonably expect it to be.

bisonaudit
11-01-2017, 04:15 AM
In this country you can make an ass out of yourself without serious consequences most of the time. Imagine pulling a similar stunt in the countries we chose to defeat in war. Doesn't that say something?

We've got plenty of allies where you might not want to attempt it. America is a pretty special place.

NDSUSR
11-01-2017, 04:21 AM
Didn't get past the first sentence because the decorated former military man Kapernick consulted before he started kneeling disagrees with your opinion.

You are unbelievably gullible. Nessa Diab (Saudi born , BLM activist), came up with the idea.

56BISON73
11-01-2017, 04:35 AM
You are unbelievably gullible. Nessa Diab (Saudi born , BLM activist), came up with the idea.

Wasnt that last year when he was just sitting on his ass?

Tony Almeida
11-01-2017, 05:16 AM

He was sitting and that upset military people. He consulted one seeking a middle ground that would still allow his message to get across. He actively sought a compromise but clearly that wasn't good enough for everyone. Not that you could reasonably expect it to be.Wait, I thought if something offended someone, then it must offend all and it should be dealt with accordingly. Isn't this the reason why statues and confederate flags are being torn down everywhere in the south? No matter the reasons given by supporters of the statues and flags, it doesn't matter because it is offensive to some. So whatever reasons are given by the kneelers, it is offending most of the military so end of discussion, in fact there shouldn't even be a discussion...shut it down, that's the liberal way. Sorry I didn't make up the rules.

Sorry had to chime in.

Thumper 76
11-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Man this thread is gold LOL

Disrespectful is disrespectful whether it’s in fun or in protest. It’s a free country so you guys can do your thing, and I’m not going to worry about it.

Bunny fans will be throwing their yearly crying about the anthem

Meh, you guys do you. This thread really delivers though

MNLonghorn10
11-01-2017, 09:55 AM
I have a bellybutton

tjbison
11-01-2017, 12:13 PM
Meh, you guys do you. This thread really delivers though

No its true You will

some doozies of threads over on your board too btw, but I forgot bunny fans are perfect even though it's the worst I've ever been treated at a road game and I've been to a few very traditionally hostile places

But you keep up the holier than thou attitude and smearing NDSU all over the internet like a teenage girl.

wagsabison
11-01-2017, 12:21 PM

He was sitting and that upset military people. He consulted one seeking a middle ground that would still allow his message to get across. He actively sought a compromise but clearly that wasn't good enough for everyone. Not that you could reasonably expect it to be.

Nate Boyer former Green Beret

I still say whatever you're opinion is on this I'm glad we live in a country where we can do as we wish. Whether it's yell your team name, kneel, stand quietly, not put your hand over your hear, put your hand over your heart, etc...

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 12:24 PM

There is no compromise you show respect or you don't. Being a soldier doesn't make one an expert on flag or anthem etiquette. The guidelines are clear you stand, face the flag, remove your hat, put your hand over your heart.

It's a total fng insult to anyone who's ever worn the uniform or knows the rules and respects the flag.

wagsabison
11-01-2017, 12:34 PM
There is no compromise you show respect or you don't. Being a soldier doesn't make one an expert on flag or anthem etiquette. The guidelines are clear you stand, face the flag, remove your hat, put your hand over your heart.

It's a total fng insult to anyone who's ever worn the uniform or knows the rules and respects the flag.

I bet 50% of people actually do this.

Trumpster
11-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Yes, let's give more respect to the flag than the liberty the flag represents.

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Bow to your master. Kneel boy kneel.

In before the lock.

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 01:25 PM
put your hand over your heart.

Im trying to stay out of this but really? To say its insulting if I don't put my hand over my heart is just too far. Good gawd. get a grip. Some people just need to be outraged about things.

BisonAccountant44
11-01-2017, 01:26 PM
This thread needs to go away

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 01:27 PM
I bet 50% of people actually do this.

And the other 50% are putting their hands over where they THINK their heart actually is. (usually their breast)

So insulting.

wagsabison
11-01-2017, 01:33 PM
This thread needs to go away

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Everyone can agree on that.

MNLonghorn10
11-01-2017, 01:50 PM
And the other 50% are putting their hands over where they THINK their heart actually is. (usually their breast)

So insulting.My wiener?

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 01:56 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/741/499/514.php

runtheoption
11-01-2017, 02:00 PM
My wiener?

Stiff peter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MEI5LH2lY

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Im trying to stay out of this but really? To say its insulting if I don't put my hand over my heart is just too far. Good gawd. get a grip. Some people just need to be outraged about things.

Some people realized that millions of folks died for what that flag represents and bunch of millionaires can't take a minute to realize that there are better ways to protest the "oppression" in this country than to insult it and all the people who know what that flag means.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Many people need to realize that some things are sacred.

And yes, it is insulting. This is proper etiquette. And those of us who know this think those who don't are either ignorant (your case?) or complete assholes (Kaepernick & friends case).

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Many people need to realize that some things are sacred (to me).

And yes, it is insulting (to me). This is proper etiquette (to me) . And I this think those who don't are either ignorant (your case?) or complete assholes (Kaepernick & friends case).

FIFY.

Hopefully this illustrates to you how fruitless this all is.

NDSUBowler

And yes, it is insulting. This is proper etiquette. And those of us who know this think those who don't are either ignorant (your case?) or complete assholes (Kaepernick & friends case).
I assume you are firmly in the camp that "Home of the BISON" is equally insulting, just so we can get it on record.

Are you as vocal about that?

BisonTeacher

https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/climb/111909946_medium_1494310801.jpg

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 02:52 PM
https://cdn-files.apstatic.com/climb/111909946_medium_1494310801.jpg

Then take pride in being an ass like Kaepernick & friends, I guess.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Then take pride in being an ass like Kaepernick & friends, I guess.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6xYiDqbawuug1BhTtHYvGUOf_uptcQ iAfRSwwCIrOWyu-4GMy

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 03:12 PM
So what I've learned in this thread...

1. Saying 'home of the ..BISON' at the end of the anthem= not disrespectful.

2. Not putting my hand on my heart while standing and singing =extremely disrespectful and insulting.

Got it now. Thanks Bisonville.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 03:13 PM
So what I've learned in this thread...

1. Saying 'home of the ..BISON' at the end of the anthem= not disrespectful.

2. Not putting my hand on my heart while standing and singing =extremely disrespectful and insulting.

Got it now. Thanks Bisonville.

Wrong.

What you should have learned is you don't get to decide what is respectful.

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 04:07 PM
I would love some of you "it's ok guys" to tell the two Vietnam vets that I listened to voice there opinions on the subject what you think to their faces. I bet you wouldn't be so internet tough then.

Personally after hearing what they said I've stood straighter, held my hand on my chest, refrained from yelling Bison, and actually paid those who paid the ultimate sacrifice a little more respect when the anthem is played.

But he that's what makes this country so great. You have the freedom to choose to do things.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Oh, is this the part where the military people gave us permission to tell other people what to do?

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 04:15 PM
I was hoping this was the lock the thread part.

It's hard to look away from a train wreck.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 04:17 PM
I was hoping this was the lock the thread part.

It's hard to look away from a train wreck.

If I were to guess about your Vietnam Vets, I would say they were probably drafted. My brother, the Army Ranger who signed up for the right reasons always said he fought for people's freedom

During the Texas v. Johnson flag burning case, he told me "I joined the army so those people could do what they want".

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 04:25 PM
But he that's what makes this country so great. You have the freedom to choose to do things.

During the Texas v. Johnson flag burning case, he told me "I joined the army so those people could do what they want".

Like I said you mean?

Hey I'd have no problem if some NFL thugs wanted to poor a forty on the turf for their dead homies. Just let me do the same man.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 04:26 PM
If I were to guess about your Vietnam Vets, I would say they were probably drafted. My brother, the Army Ranger who signed up for the right reasons always said he fought for people's freedom

Believe it or not, there are/were/have been, lots of people who were part of the military who died and did heroic deeds even though they were drafted. There is no right reason for being in the military if you are serving your country well and with honor.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 04:27 PM
Believe it or not, there are/were/have been, lots of people who were part of the military who died and did heroic deeds even though they were drafted. There is no right reason for being in the military if you are serving your country well and with honor.

If you're going to use your service to tell me what to do, you are doing it for the wrong reason.

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 04:29 PM
If you're going to use your service to tell me what to do, you are doing it for the wrong reason.

It's not telling someone what to do. It's called respect. That's what this country has lost. RESPECT. Don't make me go into song and dance.

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Just a little bit

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 05:05 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the military doesn’t put their hands over their heart either. When we play the anthem, like we did this morning, every military person (coach, wrestler or official) stand in a stiff position with both arms down at their sides while facing the flag.

Personally, I put my right hand over my heart with my left arm behind my back and sing along while hoping not to be too out of key.

And yes, at NDSU games, I yell “Bison” since I’m proud to be both an America and Bison. To me, there is more to our Anthem than just honoring our military. If it wasn’t, then why do we play it for Gold Medalists?

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 05:06 PM
SDSU doesn't even have to have the anthem conversation, we're doing it to ourselves.

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 05:07 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the military doesn’t put their hands over their heart either. When we play the anthem, like we did this morning, every military person (coach, wrestler or official) stand in a stiff position with both arms down at their sides while facing the flag.

Personally, I put my right hand over my heart with my left arm behind my back and sing along while hoping not to be too out of key.

And yes, at NDSU games, I yell “Bison” since I’m proud to be both an America and Bison. To me, there is more to our Anthem than just honoring our military. If it wasn’t, then why do we play it for Gold Medalists?

I was always taught to put your hand over your heart when you were swearing to something or vowing, like for the pledge of allegiance. Not for the anthem. So to say those that dont put their hand on their heart for the anthem are insulting the military seems so outrageous to me.

Look he doesnt have his hand on his heart!!!! Get the pitchforks and torches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive often wondered. I watch a lot of shows on AHC WWII type stuff. have you ever noticed how everyone giving the nazi salute was so Stiff armed yet hitler returned it kind of half arsed and limp wristed? I always thought that was weird.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 05:09 PM

No, but don't go thinking that your brother is better than those who were drafted just because he signed up. I have news for you, if you go and look at the list of those people who have been awarded the CMH (Congressional Medal of Honor) our military's highest award, you will find that the overwhelming majority of them are draftees.

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 05:11 PM
No, but don't go thinking that your brother is better than those who were drafted just because he signed up. I have news for you, if you go and look at the list of those people who have been awarded the CMH (Congressional Medal of Honor) our military's highest award, you will find that the overwhelming majority of them are draftees.

I think its dangerous to assume any person in the military thinks the same about an issue just because they were in the military. Each person has their own beliefs and experiences.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 05:13 PM
I was always taught to put your hand over your heart when you were swearing to something or vowing, like for the pledge of allegiance. Not for the anthem. So to say those that dont put their hand on their heart for the anthem are insulting the military seems so outrageous to me.

Look he doesnt have his hand on his heart!!!! Get the pitchforks and torches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think people are spending too much worrying about others while they should focus on what they can control - themselves. There are pros and cons to everything in life, including freedom.

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 05:14 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

It's sdsu week. I can't even believe how stupid this thread is. There is no way to respond to stupid.

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Yet here I am. FML

GreenfieldBison
11-01-2017, 05:16 PM

Ive often wondered. I watch a lot of shows on AHC WWII type stuff. have you ever noticed how everyone giving the nazi salute was so Stiff armed yet hitler returned it kind of half arsed and limp wristed? I always thought that was weird.

There was no internet so he was absolutely immune from prosecution by social media.

BisonTeacher
11-01-2017, 05:16 PM
I laugh so hard every time I hear the line "build a bridge out of her?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 05:19 PM
I laugh so hard every time I hear the line "build a bridge out of her?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

I would have went with Jack and crack. You know a real witch party. Then everyone one could go on one of those witch pursuit thingys.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 05:20 PM
Some people realized that millions of folks died for what that flag represents and bunch of millionaires can't take a minute to realize that there are better ways to protest the "oppression" in this country than to insult it and all the people who know what that flag means.

Millions? Yes, we've lost a lot of great soldiers in our 240+ years of existence, but unless your counting casualties and non battle deaths, we haven't lost a million yet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war

Fortunately due to our great military, battles rarely happen on US soil. That has helped keep the numbers down, especially for citizens.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 05:20 PM

This depends on various situations and where you are at the time. I can remember while in the military, if I was driving my car during the raising and lowering of the flag at a military base, we would stop our cars right where we were at on the side of the road and face where the flag would be and show our respect. And god help you if you were caught not doing so as a member of the military.
Here are the proper replies to the flag. http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1629/~/rendering-honors-to-the-us-flag-during-the-national-anthem

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKIVAGh7Sh8

NDSUSR
11-01-2017, 05:27 PM
I would have went with Jack and crack. You know a real witch party. Then everyone one could go on one of those witch pursuit thingys.

I wonder how many here got this reference?

scottietohottie
11-01-2017, 05:29 PM
I wonder how many here got this reference?

I actually think the Pooh tie thing is way over everyone's heads too. I know everyone in this thread anyways. Lol.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 05:30 PM
FIFY.

Hopefully this illustrates to you how fruitless this all is.

Educate yourself.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/chapter-1

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

NDSUSR
11-01-2017, 05:32 PM
I actually think the Pooh tie thing is way over everyone's heads too.

As a Pooh fan, I assumed most people would get that, after considering the BV crowd; I am probably mistaken.

EndZoneQB
11-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Educate yourself.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/chapter-1

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

Notice how that is etiquette and not law? Look up the definition of "should" for me. See also, clothing styled like flags. Also against etiquette. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you have something with a flag on it.

DISRESPECTFUL!

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 05:37 PM
I think its dangerous to assume any person in the military thinks the same about an issue just because they were in the military. Each person has their own beliefs and experiences.

Not really. And here is why. Military members are actually taught, at least when I served, about the flag and how and why it is respected. It is ingrained into their life every day. When in basic training you actually have classes on it to teach trainees. Another example is the Marines they have a well known reputation of never leaving a man behind (dead or alive), the rest of the military has this code as well, but Marines are more well known for the moto. Even people who never thought that way in civilian life before military service adopt that thinking once in the Marines, do you think that a group of people at random would be willing to think and actually act that way on their own. Some will, but most will not. It is military members looking out for each other and a brotherhood that draws them to think that way. Very few groups of people outside the military do things like the military does or feels like they do. Sure, someone can go out and look for a very long time to find a few military members who will say kneeling is no issue to them. But I can go to the American Legion, VFW, or any other service club and ask the same question and I would bet that 9 out of 10 will say they are mad about kneelers and the disrespect that people show to the flag.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 05:37 PM
Notice how that is etiquette and not law? Look up the definition of "should" for me. See also, clothing styled like flags. Also against etiquette. I'm going out on a limb here and assuming you have something with a flag on it.

DISRESPECTFUL!

Good heavens. You don't know what the US Code is? It the compendium of all federal statutes, ie laws.

Your paper tiger is lame. I don't own anything with a flag on it.

I wonder why we are having discussions like this.

NDSUSR
11-01-2017, 05:39 PM
But I can go to the American Legion, VFW, or any other service club and ask the same question and I would bet that 9 out of 10 will say they are mad about kneelers and the disrespect that people show to the flag.

Probably more like 99 out of 100.

IBleedYellow
11-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Military members salute the flag. Standing at attention until it leaves the playing field.

Most of us put our hand over our heart instead of saluting, though.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 05:47 PM

DISRESPECTFUL!

1/2 correct. While you can't require civilians to do any of those things. It is the law to those who are service members. FYI, try not doing those things as a military member (and get caught) you will find yourself getting Article 15's and even being kicked out of the military after some amount of time or if corrective actions fail.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
Probably more like 99 out of 100.

I would agree, I just did not want to seem to overly confident.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 05:49 PM
It is the law for everyone. For civilians there is no penalty, except for looking like a disrespectful sh#thead.

I'm seriously wondering where some of you went to school. Did you not learn this in elementary school and again in high school civics?

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 05:54 PM
It is the law for everyone. For civilians there is no penalty, except for looking like a disrespectful sh#thead.

I'm seriously wondering where some of you went to school. Did you not learn this in elementary school and again in high school civics?

Texas v. Johnson. Do you not know how the Supreme Court works?

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 05:55 PM
What's your point?

Now you want to talk about desecrating the flag?

It's not unconstitutional to be an a##hole in most cases. Never said it wasn't.

oldmantutters
11-01-2017, 05:55 PM

I think I remember hearing one time, and I could be totally wrong about this, that before Hitler and the Nazis it was common to salute in that fashion. But now as I type this out I remember that the reason for saluting with hand close to the head is an homage to knights back in the day who would raise their visor as they passed one another.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 05:56 PM
Personally, if this doesn't end up in the Hall of Shame, I'm going to be disappointed.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 05:57 PM
What's your point?

Now you want to talk about desecrating the flag?

My point is that there isn't a law that trumps the 1st amendment.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Who said there was?

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Military members salute the flag. Standing at attention until it leaves the playing field.

Most of us put our hand over our heart instead of saluting, though.

Pretty much every military person at our event stood like this during the Anthem:

https://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/4105961921_96c06fbb6d_b.jpg

Also, the flag they are facing is usually hanging and not being presented.

My point being is that there is no one way of honoring our flag. Claiming so is being a bit fascist, and that in itself is ironic considering we're respecting our liberty and freedom.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 06:04 PM
I think I remember hearing one time, and I could be totally wrong about this, that before Hitler and the Nazis it was common to salute in that fashion. But now as I type this out I remember that the reason for saluting with hand close to the head is an homage to knights back in the day who would raise their visor as they passed one another.

This is how the "Pledge of Allegiance" was done before the NAZIs, like they did with most things, ruined it.

http://pix-media.s3.amazonaws.com/blog/782/ScreenShot2014-08-01at1.44.28PM.png

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 06:06 PM
My point being is that there is no one way of honoring our flag. Claiming so is being a bit fascist, and that in itself is ironic considering we're respecting our liberty and freedom.

Everything is relative in this day and age for the ignorant, unintelligent, and immoral.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Who said there was?

You did. You said there wasn't a penalty but still said it was a law.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 06:10 PM
You did. You said there wasn't a penalty but still said it was a law.

It is the law.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 06:13 PM

Actually, to some degree there are (depending on how you look at it). Try exercising your first amendment rights to freedom of speech about religion at the workplace at most companies and you will be shut down. So while you have the right to stand on a street corner preaching anything a person sees fit, but do it at work and you can very quickly end up being written up, suspended, and or fired.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Everything is relative in this day and age for the ignorant, unintelligent, and immoral.

And who gets to be the judge of who is ignorant, unintelligent and immoral?

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 06:15 PM
Pretty much every military person at our event stood like this during the Anthem:

https://media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/4105961921_96c06fbb6d_b.jpg

Also, the flag they are facing is usually hanging and not being presented.

That is because they are in formation.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 06:21 PM
That is because they are in formation.

Dude, I'm using that photo to show how the military people are standing at our events for the Anthem. No, not one of them are in any formation as they are all over the place (stands, front table, mat side, etc.) As soon as we ask everyone to stand for the Anthem, they quickly stop whatever they are doing, turn to the fland and stand in this pose. No hands over their heart. I've watched them do this for over the past 16 years at USAW.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Actually, to some degree there are (depending on how you look at it). Try exercising your first amendment rights to freedom of speech about religion at the workplace at most companies and you will be shut down. So while you have the right to stand on a street corner preaching anything a person sees fit, but do it at work and you can very quickly end up being written up, suspended, and or fired.

Not what we're talking about.

It is the law.

A law that was declared unconstitutional 27 years ago.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Dude, I'm using that photo to show how the military people are standing at our events for the Anthem. No, not one of them are in any formation as they are all over the place (stands, front table, mat side, etc.) As soon as we ask everyone to stand for the Anthem, they quickly stop whatever they are doing, turn to the fland and stand in this pose. No hands over their heart. I've watched them do this for over the past 16 years at USAW.

The rules for citizens, uniformed military, and military not in uniform differ. May you should take a minute and read the statute: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/9

It isn't that hard. There isn't ambiguity.

To do anything else is ignorant or disrespectful.

JMB
11-01-2017, 06:41 PM

You guys are arguing over semantics... The U.S. Flag code is most certainly law. However the penalties associated with the law were removed because they were deemed unconstitutional.

Carry on!

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 06:45 PM
You guys are arguing over semantics... The U.S. Flag code is most certainly law. However the penalties associated with the law were removed because they were deemed unconstitutional.

Carry on!

The case law has declared it window dressing. That's the point. Dont' wave it around like it means anything when it clearly doesn't.

BTW I stand, take my hat off and yell Bison.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 06:47 PM

NO. NO. NO.

The US Code is current law.

Take a minute to read it. Take a minute to realize what it says and how it doesn't (necessarily) conflict with the first Amendment.

BlueBisonRock
11-01-2017, 06:48 PM

What Ranger unit?

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 06:48 PM
NO. NO. NO.

The US Code is current law.

Take a minute to read it. Take a minute to realize what it says and how it doesn't (necessarily) conflict with the first Amendment.

What if I don't care what it says?

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 06:49 PM

That is fine then, but FYI, your picture is focused on the military members who ARE in formation standing right in front of the camera on the field. Why would I think for a second that you are using that picture but referring to people that you can't even see who are somewhere in the stadium not in the picture? I have never attended a sporting event while in the military, where the military was performing. As in this case of your picture, maybe those service members(in the crowd, and the sidelines) were informed that they are viewed upon as if they are a member of the formation and to act as one by standing at attention just like the formation. But it is written, that service members in uniform when outside(as the picture seems to be) are to stand at attention and salute when they are by themselves or not in formation. I see this action all the time, not the one that you are talking about.

semobison
11-01-2017, 06:51 PM
I said to myself more than once, No way in hell am I going to get involved in this thread...but, IMO when the anthem is played before the game YOU should do what YOU think is appropriate. I stand with my hand over my heart. YOU should also quit worrying about what other people are doing!

Bison Loaf
11-01-2017, 06:52 PM

BTW I stand, take my hat off and yell Bison................

............with gun firmly planted on hip, because there isn't a law that trumps the 2nd Amendment either.

Wait. What?

TransAmBison
11-01-2017, 06:54 PM
I just hope you guys have more than the minimum pieces of flair for the game.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 06:59 PM
What if I don't care what it says?

I know you don't. You've made that perfectly clear. It's just pointless to have a discussion when people will not accept evidence in support of a claim.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 07:00 PM
I know you don't. You've made that perfectly clear. It's just pointless to have a discussion when people will not accept evidence in support of a claim.

What claim? What evidence?

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 07:04 PM
The rules for citizens, uniformed military, and military not in uniform differ. May you should take a minute and read the statute: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/9

It isn't that hard. There isn't ambiguity.

To do anything else is ignorant or disrespectful.

There are a lot of "shoulds" in that link and not anything like "must." This means there is no "one way" of how Americans "must" respect the flag and Anthem. According to this site (http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#USFC) the codes are just a "guide."

Again, we're not a fascist country. You "should" be glad that's a fact. If the codes were actually the law of the land and need to be enforced like you think, then this individual would be arrested and put away for becoming Patriotically emotional after winning a World Championship at the age of 19.

http://www.win-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/snyder-praying-under-flag.jpg

You do your thing, and I'll do mine. How one shows respect is subjective.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 07:10 PM
That is fine then, but FYI, your picture is focused on the military members who ARE in formation standing right in front of the camera on the field. Why would I think for a second that you are using that picture but referring to people that you can't even see who are somewhere in the stadium not in the picture? I have never attended a sporting event while in the military, where the military was performing. As in this case of your picture, maybe those service members(in the crowd, and the sidelines) were informed that they are viewed upon as if they are a member of the formation and to act as one by standing at attention just like the formation. But it is written, that service members in uniform when outside(as the picture seems to be) are to stand at attention and salute when they are by themselves or not in formation. I see this action all the time, not the one that you are talking about.

Remember my post you responded to originally where I described how I see military people at our events stand for the anthem?

You disputed that this happens, so I posted a picture of the military pose I see at every one of our events that involves military people involved in some manner (again, coach, official, athlete table worker, etc.).

BisonLaw
11-01-2017, 07:12 PM
23 pages on some goon from UNI kneeling during the anthem. My God. I think the internet would break if someone from NDSU did this.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 07:14 PM
23 pages on some goon from UNI kneeling during the anthem. My God. I think the internet would break if someone from NDSU did this.

From some of these responses, you'd think they did.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 07:15 PM

Yes it is. You said there was no law that trumps the 1st amendment. The 1st covers freedom of speech and the right to freedom of religion. But you can not practice those things in all places. Just like telling kneelers that they can't kneel while they are on someone else's dime (the NFL) or representing a entity or school (college football). So if kneelers want to kneel, then go do so at an event that is actually geared towards the reason you want to kneel. Don't kneel during the anthem at a football game when you are claiming to do so because you're upset that people in Hawaii are tan and your not. Go to Hawaii and bitch to them about it. You don't like the cops in your town, then go to a city meeting. Don't like racism, got to a BLM movement and lend support. The whole point being, just acknowledge that the anthem is being played and be respectful, can't be to difficult to show respect to the nation and the people who defend it with their lives if need be.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Yes it is. You said there was no law that trumps the 1st amendment. The 1st covers freedom of speech and the right to freedom of religion. But you can not practice those things in all places. Just like telling kneelers that they can't kneel while they are on someone else's dime (the NFL) or representing a entity or school (college football). So if kneelers want to kneel, then go do so at an event that is actually geared towards the reason you want to kneel. Don't kneel during the anthem at a football game when you are claiming to do so because you're upset that people in Hawaii are tan and your not. Go to Hawaii and bitch to them about it. You don't like the cops in your town, then go to a city meeting. Don't like racism, got to a BLM movement and lend support. The whole point being, just acknowledge that the anthem is being played and be respectful, can't be to difficult to show respect to the nation and the people who defend it with their lives if need be.

The conversation was the law, not the actions.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Remember my post you responded to originally where I described how I see military people at our events stand for the anthem?

You disputed that this happens, so I posted a picture of the military pose I see at every one of our events that involves military people involved in some manner (again, coach, official, athlete table worker, etc.).

You are probably correct sir as I am multi-tasking ATM beyond my limited capabilities and for the most part now just replying to what I see instead of what I actually read. No disrespect intended towards your posts, just adding my 2 cents on your pic and comment as what you are talking about is not incorrect, just something I have not witnessed before.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Screw this whole thing, it's bunny week.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 07:37 PM
You are probably correct sir as I am multi-tasking ATM beyond my limited capabilities and for the most part now just replying to what I see instead of what I actually read. No disrespect intended towards your posts, just adding my 2 cents on your pic and comment as what you are talking about is not incorrect, just something I have not witnessed before.

No disrespect on your part. It just something I've notice at our events being that I'm usually the individual playing the Anthem and displaying the American flag on the video boards. I've always found it amazing how quick the military individuals drop whatever they are doing at that moment and get in the pose I displayed in the photo earlier within a few seconds that we ask everyone to "please rise."

The point I was trying to make earlier is that a person can show respect to the flag without having their hand over their heart. Yes, I prefer that people would put their hand over their heart, but if they are still showing some type of respect towards the flag, I'm not going to look down upon them.

For those who aren't showing respect, well, there are more important things in life to worry about. Maybe they have a legit reason, or maybe they're just jerks. Either way, it's not something I can try to solve without making a bigger issue.

1st&TennBison
11-01-2017, 07:46 PM
No disrespect on your part. It just something I've notice at our events being that I'm usually the individual playing the Anthem and displaying the American flag on the video boards. I've always found it amazing how quick the military individuals drop whatever they are doing at that moment and get in the pose I displayed in the photo earlier within a few seconds that we ask everyone to "please rise."

The point I was trying to make earlier is that a person can show respect to the flag without having their hand over their heart. Yes, I prefer that people would put their hand over their heart, but if they are still showing some type of respect towards the flag, I'm not going to look down upon them.

For those who aren't showing respect, well, there are more important things in life to worry about. Maybe they have a legit reason, or maybe they're just jerks. Either way, it's not something I can try to solve without making a bigger issue.

I agree. I would rather see people do nothing, no hand over chest, not saying the anthem, but just stand there silent. Over intentionally doing something (kneeling) that shows disrespect.

FCSFan
11-01-2017, 07:53 PM

We might be making too much of this, what it might have been is....He was bowing down in submissive penance for being a lowly Panther in the House of The Mighty Bison, knowing full well he is not to rise until advised to do so by one of the "Holy Order of the Bison" aka Rev. Bob Johnson, where upon arising he is ushered off to the Pit of Misery(60 min. of football against the Bison).....Dilly!Dilly!!

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 07:54 PM
You do your thing, and I'll do mine. How one shows respect is subjective.

Which means you miss the point entirely.

mebisonII
11-01-2017, 07:58 PM
Oddly, and somewhat unexpectedly, I'm actually reassured by the number of people here who are kind of 'meh' on the whole topic. I thought I was the only one.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Which means you miss the point entirely.

No, I proved my point that there is no law that will force everyone to respect the Anthem and flag the same way. There are guides that suggests a proper way of doing it, but it's not immoral if you don't follow it. We're Americans, we promote individuality. If you prefer that we were like the Borg, ask those who got out of North Korea how better their lives are now they are out that purgatory.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 08:06 PM
There is a US law that dictates proper use and respect for the flag- one that doesn't include using the flag as blanket because you are good at sports.

But in your mind you have transcended what is respect for your own country and its flag. Congratulations.

Bison 4 Life
11-01-2017, 08:11 PM
There is a US law that dictates use and respect for the flag- one that doesn't include using the flag as blanket because you are good at sports.

But in your mind you have transcended what is respect for your own country and its flag. Congratulations.

You keep using that word law. What compels me to follow this law? Fear of what someone who normally posts about titties and sex but has climbed on a really high horse thinks?

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 08:12 PM
you're beyond help on this one.

Trumpster
11-01-2017, 08:17 PM

I'm glad to see that you have transcended what is respect for what the flag represents. Congratulations.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 09:19 PM
There is a US law that dictates proper use and respect for the flag- one that doesn't include using the flag as blanket because you are good at sports.

The link I posted earlier explicitly said the Federal Government can't impose the Flag Code. State law, on the other hand, can but won't.

This code is the guide for all handling and display of the Stars and Stripes. It does not impose penalties for misuse of the United States Flag. That is left to the states and to the federal government for the District of Columbia. Each state has its own flag law.

Criminal penalties for certain acts of desecration to the flag were contained in Title 18 of the United States Code prior to 1989. The Supreme Court decision in Texas v. Johnson; June 21, 1989, held the statute unconstitutional. This statute was amended when the Flag Protection Act of 1989 (Oct. 28, 1989) imposed a fine and/or up to I year in prison for knowingly mutilating, defacing, physically defiling, maintaining on the floor or trampling upon any flag of the United States. The Flag Protection Act of 1989 was struck down by the Supreme Court decision, United States vs. Eichman, decided on June 11, 1990.

While the Code empowers the President of the United States to alter, modify, repeal or prescribe additional rules regarding the Flag, no federal agency has the authority to issue 'official' rulings legally binding on civilians or civilian groups. Consequently, different interpretations of various provisions of the Code may continue to be made. The Flag Code may be fairly tested: 'No disrespect should be shown to the Flag of the United States of America.' Therefore, actions not specifically included in the Code may be deemed acceptable as long as proper respect is shown.

That last line pretty much explains all you need to know about the Flag Code in today's world. The 1942 code doesn't rule the land. Then again, it really never did to begin with.

Bison bison
11-01-2017, 09:38 PM
You are having difficulty, aren't you Chris.

Read what you wrote, read the code.

Your beloved wrestler has the flag touching the ground which disrespectful per the code (4 USC §8). Hell, millions of elementary students and even the Huffington Post (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/charmaine-belonio/5-useful-tips-to-help-you-teach-flag-etiquette-to-your-children-because-its-a-must_b_9706576.html) know that is disrespectful.

Peace, I'm out.

Christopher Moen
11-01-2017, 10:22 PM
You are having difficulty, aren't you Chris.

Read what you wrote, read the code.

Your beloved wrestler has the flag touching the ground which disrespectful per the code (4 USC §8). Hell, millions of elementary students and even the Huffington Post (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/charmaine-belonio/5-useful-tips-to-help-you-teach-flag-etiquette-to-your-children-because-its-a-must_b_9706576.html) know that is disrespectful.

Peace, I'm out.

No I total understand what I wrote. You don't.

Therefore, actions not specifically included in the Code may be deemed acceptable as long as proper respect is shown.

Snyder used the flag in a respectful manner, and therefore, up to your "beloved" Flag Code.

Bison 4 Life
11-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Hope everyone is standing right now that the anthem is on TV for the World Series.

1st&TennBison
11-02-2017, 12:19 AM
Hope everyone is standing right now that the anthem is on TV for the World Series.

Who watches baseball??????

Christopher Moen
11-02-2017, 12:27 AM

Honestly, I do that. Sometimes this cause others at the sports bar to do likewise.

Bisonfanatical
11-02-2017, 02:34 AM

During the Texas v. Johnson flag burning case, he told me "I joined the army so those people could do what they want". I never like to get to much into these conversations, and for the record I also am a vietnam vet who enlisted .. and the reasons that most of us enlisted at that point in time are as varied as you can imagine, but the TRUE reason at the time we enlisted was usually a personal one.
As humans we tend to twist things to suit our needs as the circumstances of life change ... but in the years I was serving in the military, I never heard anyone say they joined for some noble reason.
No one said that they joined just so others can burn flags, no one said they joined so goof balls can have freedom to call cops "pigs", no one joined so that others can incite riots, blah blah
Imo

Thumper 76
11-02-2017, 03:48 AM
No its true You will

some doozies of threads over on your board too btw, but I forgot bunny fans are perfect even though it's the worst I've ever been treated at a road game and I've been to a few very traditionally hostile places

But you keep up the holier than thou attitude and smearing NDSU all over the internet like a teenage girl.

Smearing NDSU? I don’t think I’ve said a bad thing about NDSU tbh. I do give some crap back to you guys. Maybe someone needs a diaper change?

56BISON73
11-02-2017, 03:55 AM
I never like to get to much into these conversations, and for the record I also am a vietnam vet who enlisted .. and the reasons that most of us enlisted at that point in time are as varied as you can imagine, but the TRUE reason at the time we enlisted was usually a personal one.
As humans we tend to twist things to suit our needs as the circumstances of life change ... but in the years I was serving in the military, I never heard anyone say they joined for some noble reason.
No one said that they joined just so others can burn flags, no one said they joined so goof balls can have freedom to call cops "pigs", no one joined so that others can incite riots, blah blah
Imo

Having served for 6 years I dont think I heard anything like that from anyone.