PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoff Committee to Announce First Top 10 Rankings on November 2nd

NDSUstudent
10-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Hopefully this goes better then it did last year for their first ranking...

The NCAA Division I Football Championship Committee will reveal the top 10 teams in order twice during November.

The rankings will be announced during the halftime studio show on ESPNU during the following games:

Thursday, Nov. 2 — Idaho at Troy, 9:15 p.m. E.T.
Thursday, Nov. 9 — Georgia Southern at Appalachian State, 7:30 p.m. E.T.
For the second straight year, the November announcements will help build excitement around the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs and may have some bearing on the final bracket that will be revealed at 11 a.m. Eastern time on Selection Sunday, Nov. 19, on ESPNU.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2017-10-26/ncaa-division-i-football-championship-committee-announce-top-10?cid=ncaafcssocial_tw_sf125900547&sf125900547=1

Professor Chaos
10-26-2017, 05:41 PM
My prediction for their 11/2 rankings:

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. Western Carolina
10. USD

And then the selection committee chair gets his schedule cleared for the Fargo radio tour.

Bison 4 Life
10-26-2017, 06:04 PM

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. Western Carolina
10. USD

And then the selection committee chair gets his schedule cleared for the Fargo radio tour.

NDSU is too high.

wagsabison
10-26-2017, 06:15 PM
Their initial rankings last year were a joke. Especially when the next week was completely different. Maybe they learned from last year and should at least check things out a little first.

bisonaudit
10-26-2017, 06:49 PM

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. Western Carolina
10. USD

NCAT is too low.

Every radio producer in town should be on the phone scheduling today if they haven’t already.

Such a fiasco last year. They can’t do worse, but there’s still a lot of room for them to poorly.

Professor Chaos
10-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Their initial rankings last year were a joke. Especially when the next week was completely different. Maybe they learned from last year and should at least check things out a little first.
Agreed although the important thing was they worked out the kinks* by the time Selection Sunday rolled around but if they're going to put these rankings out there they should put the requisite thought/effort into them.

*I still would've moved JSU down to #6 and moved their #4-#6 each up 1 (which would've put JMU on the other side of the bracket from NDSU) but it was at least plausible... and JSU's AD was on the selection committee (and is again this year).

NDSUstudent
10-26-2017, 07:14 PM
I wonder if they will even rank NCAT, I mean as of now they aren't even eligible for the playoffs since they would be in some idiotic bowl game instead.

IzzyFlexion
10-26-2017, 07:24 PM
NDSU is too high.

Hey! It's a contact high. 50 mile per hour winds out of the north today from f'hawkerville.

http://assets.hightimes.com/styles/large/s3/denver-cops-stop-pot-smoking.jpg?itok=Fx4G9H7I

bisonaudit
10-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Agreed although the important thing was they worked out the kinks* by the time Selection Sunday rolled around but if they're going to put these rankings out there they should put the requisite thought/effort into them.

*I still would've moved JSU down to #6 and moved their #4-#6 each up 1 (which would've put JMU on the other side of the bracket from NDSU) but it was at least plausible... and JSU's AD was on the selection committee (and is again this year).

well I had issues with where they ended up last year, but I have issues with the committee every year.

Bison03
10-26-2017, 09:18 PM
That game will get lots of good ratings....until halftime

Bison56
10-26-2017, 09:25 PM

1. JMU
2. JSU
3. UCA
4. NDSU
5. SHSU
6. NC A&T
7. Elon
8. Wofford
9. Western Carolina
10. USD

JSU at number 2 would be a total joke. They have been seeded 3 times and only advanced once. Plus they play no one.

Professor Chaos
10-26-2017, 09:33 PM
JSU at number 2 would be a total joke. They have been seeded 3 times and only advanced once. Plus they play no one.
Weird how that works when their AD has been on the selection committee for the last few years (and is again this year).

StL Bison Fan
10-26-2017, 10:47 PM
The second one they will announce during the GA Southern App State game.
Good planning

BisonLaw
10-26-2017, 11:47 PM
The second one they will announce during the GA Southern App State game.
Good planning

Clearly it is being done to show all the lowly FCS schools how successful App St and GA Southern have been in their transition and how awesome everything is in the FBS. On a Thursday night. On ESPNU. Maybe GA Southern will have a new head coach by then.

CAS4127
10-27-2017, 12:02 AM
Clearly it is being done to show all the lowly FCS schools how successful App St and GA Southern have been in their transition and how awesome everything is in the FBS. On a Thursday night. On ESPNU. Maybe GA Southern will have a new head coach by then.

Maybe being done so they get more/some people watching that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison03
11-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Can the committee be as stupid as they were last year in their first poll? We will find out soon.

BisonLaw
11-03-2017, 01:30 AM
Can the committee be as stupid as they were last year in their first poll? We will find out soon.

I think it's pretty safe to say, even after last year's debacle, that JMU and NDSU will be 1-2. However, I'm really interested to see what they do with 3-10.

Bison03
11-03-2017, 03:01 AM
1.JMU
2.NDSU
3.Jacksonville St.
4.Central Arkansas
5.USD
6.Sam Houston St.
7.Elon
8.Wofford
9.Northern Arizona
10.SDSU

kingbison
11-03-2017, 03:02 AM
Well that was a joke, talk about the FBS for 15 minutes and "oh by the way" give the FCS 30 - 45 seconds. If you missed it, JMU/NDSU 1/2, USD 5 and the bunnies 10

TAILG8R
11-03-2017, 03:02 AM
Don’t understand how Sam Houston continues to get love. Haven’t they proven year after year they are hollow?

Bison03
11-03-2017, 03:04 AM
Well that was a joke, talk about the FBS for 15 minutes and "oh by the way" give the FCS 30 - 45 seconds. If you missed it, JMU/NDSU 1/2, USD 5 and the bunnies 10
More like 15 seconds.

oldmantutters
11-03-2017, 03:07 AM
Well that was a joke, talk about the FBS for 15 minutes and "oh by the way" give the FCS 30 - 45 seconds. If you missed it, JMU/NDSU 1/2, USD 5 and the bunnies 10IKR (I know right) would it kill them to split the coverage up a bit? It's not like Bama fans or Georgia fans are sitting around watching halftime of a SunBelt game. Throw something different out there and promote that they carry the FCS playoffs on ESPN.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
11-03-2017, 03:08 AM
Don’t understand how Sam Houston continues to get love. Haven’t they proven year after year they are hollow?

They are a very weak 6, the FCS in general is pretty weak this year.

At least NC A&T was nowhere to be found in the poll.

BisonLaw
11-03-2017, 03:11 AM
They are a very weak 6, the FCS in general is pretty weak this year.

At least NC A&T was nowhere to be found in the poll.

This, if it isn't NDSU v. JMU in Frisco something flukey will have to happen. Just hope we don't blow one of these last games and end up on the same side of the bracket.

oldmantutters
11-03-2017, 03:14 AM
This, if it isn't NDSU v. JMU in Frisco something flukey will have to happen. Just hope we don't blow one of these last games and end up on the same side of the bracket.USD and SDSU will be on the same side of the bracket as NDSU, it won't be a cakewalk. Guarantee JMU ends up with a much easier path to Frisco.

BisonLaw
11-03-2017, 03:19 AM
USD and SDSU will be on the same side of the bracket as NDSU, it won't be a cakewalk. Guarantee JMU ends up with a much easier path to Frisco.

So we might have to play one valley school. But, with those rankings we would go through Elon and Jacksonville St. Not exactly a murderer's row.

El_Chapo
11-03-2017, 03:21 AM
IKR (I know right) would it kill them to split the coverage up a bit? It's not like Bama fans or Georgia fans are sitting around watching halftime of a SunBelt game. Throw something different out there and promote that they carry the FCS playoffs on ESPN.

now you know why NDSU needs to be FBS. 99% of the country thinks like this espn producer does. 15 seconds..

MNLonghorn10
11-03-2017, 03:30 AM
So we might have to play one valley school. But, with those rankings we would go through Elon and Jacksonville St. Not exactly a murderer's row.

SDSU and USD losses to NDSU assure theyll be on our side.

JMU will get puds like UCA and SHSU as the 4/5. we'll get JSU. with USD/SDSU being a potential game.

so: pud San Diego, USD/SDSU winner, JSU is the likely road.

Professor Chaos
11-03-2017, 03:31 AM

Well, when they lose they lose spectacularly but the last 4 years their season has ended in the national semis 3 times and the national quarters once so no one outside of NDSU has had more playoff wins in that span. JSU, on the other hand, has been more of the paper tiger losing twice in the last 3 years as the #3 seed in their first playoff game.

NDSUstudent
11-03-2017, 03:32 AM

JMU will get puds like UCA and SHSU as the 4/5. we'll get JSU. with USD/SDSU being a potential game.

JSU doesn't scare me at all, it would be like playing WIU or UNI.

BisonLaw
11-03-2017, 03:33 AM

Very likely. I think a home semi-final game with JSU would be awesome!

NDSUstudent
11-03-2017, 03:34 AM
SHSU can't beat great teams but they can get by the rest and crush most of the trash they play. Sixth is a good spot for them, they would lose to everyone in front of them but could beat the rest since none of them are really anything special.

Professor Chaos
11-03-2017, 03:36 AM
JSU doesn't scare me at all, it would be like playing WIU or UNI.
JSU wishes they had the offensive playmakers that WIU has. I'd say it would be more like playing a team with UNI's defense and Indiana St's offense. Their offense is baaaaaaad.

NDSUstudent
11-03-2017, 03:38 AM
JSU wishes they has the offensive playmakers that WIU has. I'd say it would be more like playing a team with UNI's defense and Indiana St's offense. Their offense is baaaaaaad.

I was saying that they are more on WIU's level overall. Speaks volumes when the #3 FCS team is in my opinion just mid-level in the MVFC.

UCA might be the team I'm most worried about that isn't the MVFC and isn't JMU.

Professor Chaos
11-03-2017, 03:40 AM
I was saying that they are more on WIU's level overall. Speaks volumes when the #3 FCS team is in my opinion just mid-level in the MVFC.

UCA might be the team I'm most worried about that isn't the MVFC and isn't JMU.
Yeah, I think UCA is clearly better than JSU. If JSU is the 3 and UCA is the 4 I'm all for NDSU being the 2 rather than the 1.

ZHerd
11-03-2017, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I think UCA is clearly better than JSU. If UCA is the 3 and UCA is the 4 I'm all for NDSU being the 2 rather than the 1.

Playing games in both brackets would be a tough road to Frisco...poor UCA:biggrin:

Professor Chaos
11-03-2017, 04:00 AM
Playing games in both brackets would be a tough road to Frisco...poor UCA:biggrin:
Haha, yes it would be. I'll edit it so it doesn't look as stupid.

ZHerd
11-03-2017, 04:07 AM
Haha, yes it would be. I'll edit it so it doesn't look as stupid.

Na I like the idea. SLC teams should be made to work more in playoffs since their regular season is one giant bye

bri-dog
11-03-2017, 04:15 AM
I can just picture the postgame presser.

"Yeah, we beat ourselves today"...

NoDak
11-03-2017, 04:16 AM
Very likely. I think a home semi-final game with JSU would be awesome!

That would be great. After their 4th consecutive false start (you know, can't go to fast when you have "southern speed") in a row that the crowd is unsportsmanlike at the dome. Making all that noise when their defense is on the field and then quiet when NDSU takes the field.

Christopher Moen
11-03-2017, 04:23 AM
That would be great. After their 4th consecutive false start (you know, can't go to fast when you have "southern speed") in a row that the crowd is unsportsmanlike at the dome. Making all that noise when their defense is on the field and then quiet when NDSU takes the field.

All that noise when their defense is on the field! Wait, have I been doing it wrong all this time?

NoDak
11-03-2017, 04:26 AM
All that noise when their defense is on the field! Wait, have I been doing it wrong all this time?

Sorry it was phrased badly. I meant "they" as in NDSU (from JSU perspective).

bisonaudit
11-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Leaving aside the underrepresentation of the MVFC, Elon isn’t an at large team let alone a seed and Northern Arizona is too low.

Bison56
11-03-2017, 11:44 AM
JSU is way too high, they will most likely get bounced in the first game as usual.

Winning is Gr8
11-03-2017, 01:14 PM
My fear is if we loose 1 of the last 3 we could end up 5th and if the loss was to USD they would end up 4th and we would re-match them in Vermilion and have to travel to JMU just to get to Frisco. If we do win out both USD and SDSU drop down (losses to NDSU and 1 has to loose in their game) hoping 1 is seeded 8th that way they go to JMU.

Mr Meaty
11-03-2017, 01:23 PM
My fear is if we loose 1 of the last 3 we could end up 5th and if the loss was to USD they would end up 4th and we would re-match them in Vermilion and have to travel to JMU just to get to Frisco. If we do win out both USD and SDSU drop down (losses to NDSU and 1 has to loose in their game) hoping 1 is seeded 8th that way they go to JMU.

Losing one will not drop NDSU to 5th seed. Plus SDSU and USD have to play each other yet. So there is a guaranteed lose for one of them.

Professor Chaos
11-03-2017, 01:45 PM

Losing one will not drop NDSU to 5th seed. Plus SDSU and USD have to play each other yet. So there is a guaranteed lose for one of them.
JMU and NDSU are so head and shoulders above everyone else right now I think either team could lose a game and should still be the top 2 seeds. Unfortunately, I don't know that the committee would share those thoughts. I think it's possible NDSU could drop all the way to #5 if they lose to USD (behind JSU, UCA, and a 10-1 USD).

ZHerd
11-03-2017, 01:47 PM

I understand everyone wants home playoff games because they are intense and a blast, but Im not slightly worried about having to go on the road. Imo, NDSU plays better football on the road

BisonNation11
11-03-2017, 02:59 PM

I got ripped to shreds on an FCS Facebook group for saying having two Southland teams ranked 4 & 5 in that group's poll was mind-boggling. I proceeded to call JSU and SHSU paper tigers and you would have think I just announced NDSU and the MVFC the greatest in all of football. Sorry, they don't play anyone worth a damn and SHSU isn't blowing away people like they usually do.

NDSU shouldn't drop a spot if they lose a game in the last three. It would be irresponsible and outlandish of the committee to do so. With that said, wouldn't be worried if we had to go on the road. Just don't see it happening. Now as far as USD is concerned, I hope they stay at 5, rise to 4 with a potential win over NDSU or drop to 8 with a potential loss to NDSU. Keep them and SDSU on the other side of the bracket. Get some new blood up in here!

Bison"FANatic"
11-03-2017, 03:46 PM
Wait a minute, I thought we were going to have to travel to UN_ this year?????

Son of a Bison
11-03-2017, 03:52 PM

Only if the dome is busy and we need an overpriced shed to practice in.

Bison Loaf
11-03-2017, 03:55 PM

I'M still worried about it. UND still has a couple of games left to show their wares ....................... and the committee, of course, "still owes them one" for the selection hosing they took in 2015! :hide::rofl:

TAILG8R
11-03-2017, 04:49 PM
I fully get wanting SDSU and USD to win/lose the proper amount of games so they fall into the right seeding to be on the other side of the bracket. For me it would be more about seeing different teams instead of constantly MVFC 2.0 year in and year out. BUT there is no way the selection committee won't slide one or both of them into the proper seeding to have multiple buss trips. Depending on how the other teams finish I could maybe see one of them on the other side but no way both of them will be, even if it's clear they should be.

BisonNation11
11-03-2017, 07:16 PM
I fully get wanting SDSU and USD to win/lose the proper amount of games so they fall into the right seeding to be on the other side of the bracket. For me it would be more about seeing different teams instead of constantly MVFC 2.0 year in and year out. BUT there is no way the selection committee won't slide one or both of them into the proper seeding to have multiple buss trips. Depending on how the other teams finish I could maybe see one of them on the other side but no way both of them will be, even if it's clear they should be.

Here's the kicker on all that. All they have to do is seed USD wherever they want and as long as SDSU doesn't crack the top 8, I'm willing to bet they send SDSU their way in the 2nd round. Position 4, 5, or 8 for USD would keep them out of Fargo if NDSU stays the 2 seed. I think the backlash from having all the MVFC teams on one side whatever year that was should help in splitting us up since basically seeds 4-8 right now are pretty fluid for where you can put them. Obviously I see USD as either the 3 or 4 since I don't think much of JSU or UCA, but that's just me. The next two weeks will really determine who gets seeded where with NDSU playing both South Dakota schools in back to back weeks. All I hope is that we take care of business on our end.

Bison4x
11-03-2017, 07:34 PM
NDSU, SDSU and USD will all end up on the same side of the bracket, regardless of how the season finishes out. The committee will find a way for it to happen.

bisonp
11-03-2017, 08:31 PM
I'd love to see JMU have to go through 3 MVFC teams before meeting us.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

NoDak
11-04-2017, 02:15 AM
I'd love to see JMU have to go through 3 MVFC teams before meeting us.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see it.

I would love to see it too. I don't think JMU has had to go through much this year. Depending on who they played and how the ball bounces that could unseat them.

ndsubison1
11-04-2017, 04:23 AM
Lets say we lose to Sdsu but win out. We may drop a spot for a week, but by the time we get to selection day I think wed be #2. Its a foregone conclusion Jmu will be 1 unless they lose.

EndZoneQB
11-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Lets say we lose to Sdsu but win out. We may drop a spot for a week, but by the time we get to selection day I think wed be #2. Its a foregone conclusion Jmu will be 1 unless they lose.

As well they should be. It sucks that we lost, but we potentially lost to the next dynasty. What they've been able to do has been impressive so far. Things might change in the playoffs, but they seem to have figured out the formula.

I think you're right on us eventually ending up at #2 if we lose SDSU or ISUr. Idk if you want to call it clout or what for either NDSU or the MVFC, but they would be dumb not to set up a rematch of JMU v NDSU in Frisco if they realistically could make it happen. It'd be good for the division, having the two current highest profile FCS teams battle it out.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-04-2017, 02:05 PM
As well they should be. It sucks that we lost, but we potentially lost to the next dynasty. What they've been able to do has been impressive so far. Things might change in the playoffs, but they seem to have figured out the formula.

I think you're right on us eventually ending up at #2 if we lose SDSU or ISUr. Idk if you want to call it clout or what for either NDSU or the MVFC, but they would be dumb not to set up a rematch of JMU v NDSU in Frisco if they realistically could make it happen. It'd be good for the division, having the two current highest profile FCS teams battle it out.

Plus having playoff games in Fargo is looks a hell of lot better on TV than a game in a pud stadium with 500 in the stands and of course a sold out Fargodome equates to more revenue for the NCAA.

Bison03
11-10-2017, 12:54 AM
Who's ready for 15 seconds of FCS coverage again?!! Woo hoo!!

Bison03
11-10-2017, 01:06 AM
Actually showed game highlights from last weekend...wow. Anyway, here is the poll.

1. JMU
2. Jacksonville St
3. Central Arkansas
4. NDSU
5. Sam Houston
6. Elon
7. SDSU
8. Wofford
9. USD
10. NC A&T

AKBison
11-10-2017, 01:11 AM
Jax State at 2 is perfect set up for us. A 10-1 MVC champ will be ranked no lower than three and we all know what happens to Cocky in the playoffs...

ndsubison1
11-10-2017, 01:15 AM
NDSU should be 2. However, well move back up if we win out

Bison03
11-10-2017, 01:25 AM
"Quality loss" definitely a factor here. Jacksonville State's only loss is to Georgia Tech and Central Arkansas' only loss is to Kansas State. A shame that losing to a P5 FBS team is valued more then beating ranked FCS teams. But, win out and the Bison are most likely the 2 seed.

MNLonghorn10
11-10-2017, 02:28 AM
I hope NDSU somehow can get UCA/SHSU & Jacksonville St on their side of the bracket.

Maybe JMU can lose to Elon, and SDSU beats USD.

NDSU #1
JMU#2
SDSU#3
Jacksonville 4
UCA/SHSU 5

who cares, just get the other SLC pud in the top bracket