PDA

View Full Version : Game 7: Western Illinois Preview

tony
10-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Just hearing one word to describe them: Physical.

Their stats: http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113766
NDSU stats: http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113723

Looks like the two offenses are almost identically productive except that WIU skews more to the pass.
On defense, they look a lot like NDSU.

tolnabison
10-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Just hearing one word to describe them: Physical.

Their stats: http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113766
NDSU stats: http://stats.ncaa.org/teams/113723

Looks like the two offenses are almost identically productive except that WIU skews more to the pass.
On defense, they look a lot like NDSU.

They run a 3-4, which will be an adjustment because we haven't seen many odd man fronts yet.

Also they gave up 30 at home to Missouri St. last week, when we only game up 11.

CAS4127
10-17-2017, 06:08 PM
They run a 3-4, which will be an adjustment because we haven't seen many odd man fronts yet.

Also they gave up 30 at home to Missouri St. last week, when we only game up 11.

WIU is very capable of beating us if they bring their A game. In fact, that is true of all remaining conference games this year. Gonna be an interesting and fun run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OatmealWicket92
10-17-2017, 06:09 PM
The one person that scares me on that team is #17 the WR. He's the reason I have stayed tuned in to WIU games, because he seems tough to stop when he gets going. See: USD game.

Professor Chaos
10-17-2017, 06:17 PM
The one person that scares me on that team is #17 the WR. He's the reason I have stayed tuned in to WIU games, because he seems tough to stop when he gets going. See: USD game.
He looks like the best WR in the conference so far by a pretty wide margin (and that obviously includes #19 from SDSU). Not only has he caught 8 TDs he's also rushed for 3 more (on only 10 carries). The receiving splits between him and the rest of the team are crazy.

Acklin: 46 catches, 828 yards, 8 TDs
The rest of the team: 71 catches, 807 yards, 8 TDs

Jalen Allison is going to have his hands full on Saturday but if you can slow down Acklin you're really going to put WIU's QB Sean McGuire in a bind against the Bison pass rush. Their 2nd leading receiver only has 10 catches for 165 yards on the season (former NDSU commit Isaiah Lesure).

BisonNation11
10-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Listening to 1660 over lunch, WIU play by play guy was on. He said their routes tend to take a long time develop and with deep 5-7 step drops. One game where Menard may be severely missed. Any pressure at all on them though should throw their rhythm off enough for the defense to be successful. Extremely experienced OL with 4 seniors and a junior. I'm more interested in seeing what our OL does against a 3-4. Hope Stick has his running shoes on. WR will need to keep working as well as broken down plays can lead to some big gains.

CAS4127
10-17-2017, 06:29 PM
Listening to 1660 over lunch, WIU play by play guy was on. He said their routes tend to take a long time develop and with deep 5-7 step drops. One game where Menard may be severely missed. Any pressure at all on them though should throw their rhythm off enough for the defense to be successful. Extremely experienced OL with 4 seniors and a junior. I'm more interested in seeing what our OL does against a 3-4. Hope Stick has his running shoes on. WR will need to keep working as well as broken down plays can lead to some big gains.

They also have a stud (NFL caliber LB) who is very active. Believe he had a 25+ tackle game earlier this season.

bisonforever
10-17-2017, 06:53 PM
They also have a stud (NFL caliber LB) who is very active. Believe he had a 25+ tackle game earlier this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Yep, Brett Taylor. He had 28 or 29 tackles in a game this year. He has something like 87 tackles year already.

BisonLaw
10-17-2017, 07:05 PM
Western always impresses me. They're always one of the most physical teams we play. They have the second worst facilities (behind IndSt) in the conference and they have no money and yet get great players and coaches . I mean that as a compliment, but it does always amaze me.

IzzyFlexion
10-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Western always impresses me. They're always one of the most physical teams we play. They have the second worst facilities (behind IndSt) in the conference and they have no money and yet get great players and coaches . I mean that as a compliment, but it does always amaze me.

A shot of Bohl leading the Herd from the Western Illinois locker room to the field back in '07. A heavy October rain the night before created quite the treacherous pilgrimage.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e7/0a/3b/e70a3b7423558cfb28c138c5835a37a1--crossing-the-red-sea-bible-pictures.jpg

Mr Meaty
10-17-2017, 07:54 PM
Western is always a difficult game. Stick and the boys need to bring their A game on Saturday. Would like to see continued use of the TE position and have the WR create more separation on routes. Defense needs to tackle better. Wrap them up and take them down.

Bison 4 Life
10-17-2017, 07:56 PM
I just think there's something about playing at home in the Harvest Helmets that gets everyone on their game.

gumby013
10-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Western is always a difficult game.

Not always.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400795751

Mr Meaty
10-17-2017, 08:29 PM
Not always.

The score was tied at 0-0 for awhile.

oldmantutters
10-17-2017, 08:49 PM
The score was tied at 0-0 for awhile.

Exactly 2:00.

tony
10-17-2017, 09:19 PM
Not always.

Pretty sure that is the only time the home team has won a game in the series.

A1pigskin
10-17-2017, 10:32 PM
Bison fans will need to bring the noise.

scottietohottie
10-18-2017, 12:24 PM

I got the Tony Lama's out.

Green1
10-18-2017, 05:43 PM
I got the Tony Lama's out.

Good. The Dalai Lama's would be inappropriate.

17>1
10-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Agreed! I have a feeling there are plenty of people that are really ready to get rowdy after not having many chances to do so at home yet.

LongLostAlum
10-18-2017, 11:54 PM
Same sentiment here. Western Illinois should be our first really tough home game of the year. Definitely looking forward to it.

HerdBoy
10-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Respectable team. Should be a good game.

bruinbison
10-19-2017, 11:55 AM
WR Jaelon Acklin’s breakout season for the ‘Necks

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound senior came into this season with 21 catches for 364 yards and two touchdowns.

In the first six games of 2017, Acklin has 46 catches for 828 yards and eight touchdowns. He also has 10 rushes for 195 yards and three touchdowns.

Acklin played behind WR Lance Lenoir, who is now with the Dallas Cowboys (practice squad). Lenoir in his WIU career had 273 catches for 3,796 yards and 28 touchdowns.

https://m.herosports.com/fcs/footbll-jaelon-acklin-western-illinois-improvement-bzbz

From last week - QB & WR are dynamic duo for Western Illinois

http://www.chicagonow.com/prairie-state-pigskin/2017/10/from-dms-to-ws-how-westerns-dynamic-duo-grew-into-potent-playmakers/

ndsubison1
10-19-2017, 02:35 PM
His stats are crazy. Big plays running the ball too.

This is a bad look ahead spot with UNI next week and the SD schools not too far off. YSU we know was tough. Good offense and need to get to QB to disrupt their offense.

THEsocalledfan
10-19-2017, 02:55 PM
JJ brought up on Insiders yesterday they are weak versus the pass. We need Easton to be dialed in, and expect RJ and Shep to light it up.

bruinbison
10-19-2017, 03:35 PM
At first I thought the Western Illinois game might be an early preview of what the South Dakota showdown would look like, especially when the Leathernecks were on offense. WIU’s QB, Sean McGuire, is listed at 6’ 3” 228, similar in size to the Coyote QB Streveler. But in 6 games, McGuire only has 29 carries for 96 yards. I assume that is skewed by QB sacks, (37 net yards) but it does not read like McGuire is the running threat that Mays of YSU was, or Streveler is.

Professor Chaos
10-19-2017, 03:40 PM
At first I thought the Western Illinois game might be an early preview of what the South Dakota showdown would look like, especially when the Leathernecks were on offense. WIU’s QB, Sean McGuire, is listed at 6’ 3” 228, similar in size to the Coyote QB Streveler. But in 6 games, McGuire only has 29 carries for 96 yards. I assume that is skewed by QB sacks, but it does not read like McGuire is the running threat that Mays of YSU was, or Streveler is.
McGuire is nowhere near the runner that Streveler is and, this year at least, not in the same league as a passer either. Streveler is the front runner for the Walter Payton award right now with the way he's playing. McGuire might be the 2nd best pure passer in the MVFC though.

OatmealWicket92
10-19-2017, 03:44 PM
At first I thought the Western Illinois game might be an early preview of what the South Dakota showdown would look like, especially when the Leathernecks were on offense. WIU’s QB, Sean McGuire, is listed at 6’ 3” 228, similar in size to the Coyote QB Streveler. But in 6 games, McGuire only has 29 carries for 96 yards. I assume that is skewed by QB sacks, (37 net yards) but it does not read like McGuire is the running threat that Mays of YSU was, or Streveler is.

Off topic. I'm glad Streveler is a senior...

El_Chapo
10-19-2017, 03:58 PM
are we even worried??

runtheoption
10-19-2017, 04:20 PM
McGuire is nowhere near the runner that Streveler is and, this year at least, not in the same league as a passer either. Streveler is the front runner for the Walter Payton award right now with the way he's playing. McGuire might be the 2nd best pure passer in the MVFC though.

True about the McGuire vs. Streveler comparison, but for whatever reason, it seems like we have historical tendency to allow non-running QB's to be running QB's, and running QB's to be superstar running QB's. Is that a built-in weakness of our defensive scheme?

bruinbison
10-19-2017, 04:34 PM
True about the McGuire vs. Streveler comparison, but for whatever reason, it seems like we have historical tendency to allow non-running QB's to be running QB's, and running QB's to be superstar running QB's. Is that a built-in weakness of our defensive scheme?

Uff, you reminded me of the 2015 South Dakota game in the FargoDome, QB Ryan Saeger (who?:))
looked All-Conference that day against the Bison, 16 carries 92 yards from a QB not known for that kind of running. (202 passing, 2 TD’s, 1 int)

Professor Chaos
10-19-2017, 04:41 PM
True. I remember the 2015 regular season UNI game when Sawyer Kollmorgen, their statuesque QB, had two big runs. He finished the day with 7 rushes for 59 yards (which included sack yardage) in only one half before exiting with a concussion and giving way to Aaron Bailey who proceeded to run for 157 yards in the 2nd half alone. Kollmorgen finished that year with a grand total of 96 rushing yards over the 6 games he was healthy.

It's been an issue this year as well against YSU and to a certain extent even against Missouri St. USD and SDSU (although Christion hasn't run nearly as much this year for some reason) will exploit that if it doesn't get fixed.

Christopher Moen
10-19-2017, 06:26 PM

True. I remember the 2015 regular season UNI game when Sawyer Kollmorgen, their statuesque QB, had two big runs. He finished the day with 7 rushes for 59 yards (which included sack yardage) in only one half before exiting with a concussion and giving way to Aaron Bailey who proceeded to run for 157 yards in the 2nd half alone. Kollmorgen finished that year with a grand total of 96 rushing yards over the 6 games he was healthy.

It's been an issue this year as well against YSU and to a certain extent even against Missouri St. USD and SDSU (although Christion hasn't run nearly as much this year for some reason) will exploit that if it doesn't get fixed.

In regards to sacks, I don't believe they affect a QBs rushing total, but instead affect the team's passing total.

bri-dog
10-19-2017, 06:49 PM
In regards to sacks, I don't believe they affect a QBs rushing total, but instead affect the team's passing total.

In the NFL, you are correct. In the NCAA, sacks go against rushing yards...

Christopher Moen
10-19-2017, 07:19 PM
In the NFL, you are correct. In the NCAA, sacks go against rushing yards...

I stand corrected then. Thanks Bri-Dog, see you on Saturday (don't hang the Husker's flag).

bri-dog
10-19-2017, 07:38 PM
I stand corrected then. Thanks Bri-Dog, see you on Saturday (don't hang the Husker's flag).

Definitely not.

CAS4127
10-19-2017, 08:18 PM
JJ brought up on Insiders yesterday they are weak versus the pass. We need Easton to be dialed in, and expect RJ and Shep to light it up.

Same was said about YSU. Jussayin’! Also, we rarely seem to directly attack what are supposedly known weaknesses.

BisonNeil
10-20-2017, 02:49 AM

He said the exact same shit last week vs YSU. Jorgenson is a tool.

Herd
10-20-2017, 02:57 AM
He said the exact same shit last week vs YSU. Jorgenson is a tool.

Sometimes it's best to make QB throw the ball and do a controlled rush. DE flying up the field create massive running lanes. Rushing under control is required at times, YSU in Q4 was a good example. Make him throw and we win in regulation IMO. Rushing in sync is called team football, vs stat seeking football. I'd rather see a Karcz bull rush on the edge where he can shed and go either direction, than consistently missing hi and outside, opening massive lanes. Menards had the speed outside to go high and still catch a he QB before getting downfield, but no everyone does.

semobison
10-20-2017, 03:09 AM
Yup, YSU and WIU's pass defense stats didn't look good after Streveler torched them for 360 and 330 respectively. We threw for 113 against the Guins. We are a much better rushing team than USD but I would like to see better production in our passing game then what we showed at Youngstown. 170 to 180 yards and a 60% completion rate would be nice.

Professor Chaos
10-20-2017, 03:22 AM
Sometimes it's best to make QB throw the ball and do a controlled rush. DE flying up the field create massive running lanes. Rushing under control is required at times, YSU in Q4 was a good example. Make him throw and we win in regulation IMO. Rushing in sync is called team football, vs stat seeking football. I'd rather see a Karcz bull rush on the edge where he can shed and go either direction, than consistently missing hi and outside, opening massive lanes. Menards had the speed outside to go high and still catch a he QB before getting downfield, but no everyone does.
Bingo! That's what frustrates me most about the Bison D-line. It's obviously easier said than done but when they maintained their rush lanes and collapsed the pocket not allowing Mays climb it he didn't know what to do and ran right into sacks. They need to stay disciplined when rushing these mobile passers in the MVFC. Against WIU and McGuire it probably won't be as big of a deal though.

56BISON73
10-20-2017, 03:56 AM
Bingo! That's what frustrates me most about the Bison D-line. It's obviously easier said than done but when they maintained their rush lanes and collapsed the pocket not allowing Mays climb it he didn't know what to do and ran right into sacks. They need to stay disciplined when rushing these mobile passers in the MVFC. Against WIU and McGuire it probably won't be as big of a deal though.

Usually happens when the DE has an inside rush. The O-Tackle just rides him down the LOS in to the rest of the line. The result is no outside containment from the point of where he road the DE down the line. Unless the DT is on a stunt to the outside.

Herd
10-20-2017, 04:11 AM

I actually think it's better to put DEs in the DT spots if you undisciplined edge rushers. You need Speed that can run and cover up mistakes on the edge. Most DTs don't run well enough to catch QBs in space with passing downs.

gumby013
10-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Plane stalking time!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWQ7553/history/20171020/2000Z/KMLI/KFAR

Not until this afternoon though...

KilldeerBison
10-20-2017, 12:05 PM
It's really noticeable if containment is lost, when you see DL pursue the ball carrier down field. Cole Karcz is one example, of the current Bison. If you lose containment, nice to see guys not give up on the play too.

OatmealWicket92
10-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Got some tickets this morning. Taking my wife to her first game. Gonna be a great weekend.

gumby013
10-20-2017, 03:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2yqW0u4Py8

scottietohottie
10-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Hitting the road early so I don't get stuck in the grand forks traffic jam.

Thanks for all the advice Barney

Go Bison!

bruinbison
10-20-2017, 03:48 PM
With a 3/4 Defense, you need your LB’s to make plays.
Brett Taylor does just that. The 6’ 2” 230 senior was named MVFC Defensive Player of the Week for the 3rd time already this season for his performance against Missouri State.

Taylor leads the nation with 14.5 tackles per game.
Both his 87 total tackles and 55 assisted stops rank second in the FCS.

http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/10/15/football-taylor-logs-third-mvfc-weekly-honor.aspx

NFLdraftscout has Taylor ranked 27th for ILB’s for the 2018 NFL Draft. Nick DeLuca is ranked 14th.

totoinfl
10-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Go Bison!

Ahh...so you are leaving 2 minutes early...got it.

barnwintersportsengelstad
10-20-2017, 04:52 PM

Go Bison!

U Wlcom Captain Scottie. 1st of all have safe trip. I predicted you would get the Quinns by 2TD's, sorry, over shot the bow a little there. I don't have good feelings for U about your W. Ill game, better blow that horn pretty hard.

gumby013
10-20-2017, 05:02 PM
https://www.pscp.tv/w/1MnGngRqZQLJO

gumby013
10-20-2017, 07:02 PM
http://www.wgem.com/story/36641061/2017/10/19/on-the-sidelines-wiu-looks-for-statement-win-at-ndsu

17>1
10-20-2017, 07:09 PM
http://www.wgem.com/story/36641061/2017/10/19/on-the-sidelines-wiu-looks-for-statement-win-at-ndsu

They sound like a confident bunch, I love it! I'm ready for a dog fight in the FFD. Let's bring it tomorrow!!!

CyPanth
10-20-2017, 09:47 PM
I know that a lot of you like to brag about your prowess in consumption of alcohol. Let me know how many of these you put down at the tailgate. A Leatherneck may be the worst drink I've ever served.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4786.html

StL Bison Fan
10-20-2017, 09:52 PM
I know that a lot of you like to brag about your prowess in consumption of alcohol. Let me know how many of these you put down at the tailgate. A Leatherneck may be the worst drink I've ever served.

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4786.html

Maybe with a dill pickle followed by an olive

bruinbison
10-20-2017, 10:40 PM
They sound like a confident bunch, I love it! I'm ready for a dog fight in the FFD. Let's bring it tomorrow!!!

Charlie Fisher certainly sounds confident, and also sounds like someone good at instilling confidence in his team. This will actually be his 1st visit to the FargoDome as Western Illinois’ Head Coach. It is his 2nd season as the ‘Necks Head Coach. Before this job he was offensive coordinator for Richmond when they came to the FargoDome in the 2015 FCS playoffs.
That was a 33-7 squishing of Daspidies! :)

It will also be QB Sean McGuire’s 1st visit to Fargo as a starter, Trenton Norville was the QB for WIU 2 year’s ago.

Fisher did a heckuva job keeping this program together considering the uphill battle he faced taking over from the previous coach. The state of Illinois had all sorts of budget troubles (still does) and Coach Nielson decided the grass was greener in Vermillion.
WIU started last season 5-1, like this year, only to fade to a 6-5 overall record and miss the playoffs.
So they are definitely fired up to improve on that!

Christopher Moen
10-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Watched the Missouri State-Western Illinois game last night.

I didn't see a whole lot talent difference between the two, but WIU did have an edge. Perhaps that was because how sloppy The Leathernecks played early in the game.

NDSU needs to stay hungry and focus on play execution and not play down to their competition. WIU is a good team, but the Bison at their best will handle them. In regards to WIU being "physical," what team in the MVFC isn't? NDSU needs to make sure to get their hits in first and keep applying pressure.

WIU seems to be a sleeping team in the first half and scores like crazy in the second. They might be lulling teams to relax early and catch them by surprise in the third quarter. Coaching/team strategy? I don't know, but that's pretty much what has happened in all of their games this year based on the score-boxes.

WIU is looking for a "statement win." I expect the Bison to give them a "statement lost" to give notice to the rest of the conference that this is theirs to own. I want to see a great game by both NDSU coaches and athletes.

scottietohottie
10-22-2017, 12:00 AM
U Wlcom Captain Scottie. 1st of all have safe trip. I predicted you would get the Quinns by 2TD's, sorry, over shot the bow a little there. I don't have good feelings for U about your W. Ill game, better blow that horn pretty hard.

So how's all this trolling working out for you?

wagsabison
10-22-2017, 01:14 AM
So how's all this trolling working out for you?

He’s not good at it.