PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bison Experiences with your Dad/Mom?

SomeBeach
09-21-2017, 06:11 PM
This time of year, I get a lot of reminders of my father's passing a few years ago, and many of them are Bison Football related. Got another one today in the posting from BattleBorn (and I'm sorry for your loss.) That post reminded me that a lot of people seem to have stories about great times they had with their parents at Bison games. Here's mine. Let's hear yours!

Dad was a huge Bison fan. He took me to my first-ever Bison football game when I was about 5. When I saw the teams warming up, I was convinced we were watching the Green Bay Packers, given the Bison's green-on-yellow uniforms. I remember proudly telling my dad I was cheering for those guys in the white shirts (the Morningside Maroon Chiefs), because I knew no self-respecting Vikings fan would ever support the Packers. Dad got a big laugh, explained to me that the guys in green were the guys we cheered for on the radio, and got a new story to tell his friends about how he had to "convert" his son. I'll never forget freezing our butts in the north stands at Dacotah Field, with chilled "hot chocolate" and vendor-delivered hot dogs. Great times.

IBleedYellow
09-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Kansas State game. It was just a father/son trip. Such a great day.

Bison03
09-21-2017, 06:27 PM
My dad introduced be to Bison football. I remember watching the the championship game in 1990 and knowing then I would be a Bison fan for life. Add a few trips to Dakotah Field as a midonly solidified my loyalty. I anways call my dad after every game to talk about the good and bad of what we just saw. The best moment was after the first FCS Championship. I was in Friaco, he was back in North Dakota. This conversation was different then all the others. There was ao much joy and celebration and emotion in our conversation and celebration, it was awesome! It took me back to that day in 1990 watchhing the Bison win a championship. Amazing experience!!

BFKasper14
09-21-2017, 06:30 PM
I'll never forget the 1st D1 championship game. At the end of the game he said his dad would have been in shock to see how well NDSU has done. It was the first time I've seen my dad get more than a little emotional. Standing down on the field with him and our good family friends after all the championship games is right up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonAccountant44
09-21-2017, 06:32 PM
My parents aren't big sports fans. I've taken both of them to a game or two, but that's about their entire exposure. This Saturday though will be a big one for me as the dad. I'm taking my 2 year old to his first game just the two of us!

ByeSonBusiness
09-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Dad took me and my sister on a bus trip to Omaha to see the Bison play them in the quarterfinals(?) in like 2000. That was pretty neat.

BattleBorn
09-21-2017, 09:56 PM
Beautiful thread! I think my favorite memory is the YSU game two years ago. The day started with dad and I having an early beer in the backyard. It progressed to setting up the tailgating tent, and developed into a full on party with my best friends, my dog, dad, mom (they're divorced), cousins, their parents and their kids. We grilled dozens of brats and burgers and side dishes just seemed to appear out of nowhere. I don't know where all the food came from, but it was amazing. At the end of the evening the Bison came from behind to win, preserving home field for the playoffs.

We may have consumed a few beers, and we all had an amazing day with friends and family. My dad introduced me to Bison football, and it became a way for our extended family to party together.

EC8CH
09-21-2017, 10:10 PM
Took my Dad with us to the Iowa game. I always told him "all four quarters" when watching Bison games, it takes all four quarters if you want to beat the Bison. The look on his face when the ball went through the uprights and the entire NDSU section erupted was pretty awesome. Could tell he was thinking he couldn't believe it and the Bison had done it again. Pretty sweet to share that moment of Bison magic. When he got home he collected a case of beer from a friend who was an Iowa fan who he bet that the Bison would win straight up.

BisonNation11
09-21-2017, 10:26 PM
Mom: Went down for both of the Minnesota games in '06/'07. In '07, I remember meeting up with many of my mom's friends for tailgating before hand, help leading the cheers up in the corner of the second deck (my brother and I have voices that really carry) and after the game was the icing on the cake. Had a minivan and mom was driving through downtown. Brother and I in the backseats with both sliding doors open, blaring Thunderstruck and throwing anyone and everyone the horns. It was great getting responses from Bison fans but the responses from Goopher fans were the best. Felt like we owned that town that night. It was awesome to watch the boys take it them, especially since I went to school with Roehl and stole the show.

Dad: Finally convinced my dad to go down to Frisco for the last championship. Brought our wives and drove down two days before. Brought him to all the bars and we had some great food. I was playing it cool with tickets because we really didn't care where we sat and I knew something would open up last minute to get a deal. Ended up scoring 2nd row, 40 yard line behind the JSU bench. Had signs made (which made it into Bison Illustrated) and thoroughly enjoyed game. I remember making a video the night before in our friend's RV imitating "Da Bulls" guy from SNL. Watching my dad enjoy the game and celebrating afterwards was awesome. I'm really glad he decided to go. We really enjoy flying NDSU flags so that has us pretty pumped for every game. So if anyone finds any obscure NDSU flags, let me know as we're always looking to expand our collection.

cbline
09-21-2017, 10:40 PM
Mom and Dad were both big Bison fans. Dad died in 1990. Mom and I started with season tickets when the Dome opened. After 4 sons in high school football and many college games, she sure knew her football. She died in 2000. I sure wish the two of them could have seen the success of the Bison!

southcliffbison
09-21-2017, 11:30 PM
September 16, 2007.......Bison 41 Sam Houston State 38 .....arguably one of the most exciting and greatest games ever played at the Fargodome. Walker to Heckendorf for a TD with 7 sec left. I'm there with my Dad, who was 90 yrs. old. On the way home, he said that was the best game, most exciting game he had ever been to and he had watched alot of football. Two months later, alone in his hospital room, he and I talked about that game and other things. That evening he passed away.

DBRJake
09-22-2017, 12:18 AM
The NDSU vs Illnois St championship game. We didn't go down to Frisco but watching it with Dad in those nauseatingly exciting last minutes was great. Especially when he shouted a deep barrel-chested "YES!!" on the winning drive. Miss you Dad.

dewey
09-22-2017, 02:38 AM
I don't have any memories of NDSU athletics with my mom or dad but I know that my kids have been having a great time when they go with me.

My 7 year old has started asking if we can go to every game. Such a great time to bond with son or daughter.

Go Bison!

Dewey

56BISON73
09-22-2017, 02:43 AM
1973 We are playing at SDSU. There stadium consisted of one section of bleachers may be 10 rows high. I dont think there were bleachers on the visiting side. I remember running out on the field and there were very few fans their. I remember saying to no one in particular "nice crowd".

We are about half the way thru warm ups and somebody says ---Long isnt that your mom over there? Sure as shit there she was. She had driven all the way from La Crosse WI by herself to watch us play. After the game my mom pulls her car up to to where the team bus was and opens her trunk.
She had meat loaf sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches and many many fried chickens. She feed the whole team and as we got ready to leave she gives me a 12 pack of beer to take on the bus.

One other time she drove all the way to Fargo to watch me practice. After wards we had dinner and then she drove back getting there in time for work the next day.

56BISON73
09-22-2017, 02:49 AM
1973 we are playing UNI. The nose tackle was leading the nation in sacks. After the game I find out my dad was sitting next to the nose tackles father. Before the game his dad was bragging his kid up to the point my dad couldnt take it anymore and bet him a 100 bucks his kid wouldnt get a sack period. The guy jumped on the bet. Well he didnt get a sack and while he was paying my dad he asks who the heck was NDSUs center. My dad took his money and said---thats my son and walked away .

1st&TennBison
09-22-2017, 03:09 AM
The whole 2011 season with my grandson Lennon before he passed away.

LikeMothers
09-22-2017, 03:31 AM
1973 We are playing at SDSU. There stadium consisted of one section of bleachers may be 10 rows high. I dont think there were bleachers on the visiting side. I remember running out on the field and there were very few fans their. I remember saying to no one in particular "nice crowd".

We are about half the way thru warm ups and somebody says ---Long isnt that your mom over there? Sure as shit there she was. She had driven all the way from La Crosse WI by herself to watch us play. After the game my mom pulls her car up to to where the team bus was and opens her trunk.
She had meat loaf sandwiches, corned beef sandwiches and many many fried chickens. She feed the whole team and as we got ready to leave she gives me a 12 pack of beer to take on the bus.

One other time she drove all the way to Fargo to watch me practice. After wards we had dinner and then she drove back getting there in time for work the next day.

Plus significant portions of I-94 and I-90 were not done yet.

JackJD
09-22-2017, 03:42 AM
PL: Minor correction on SDSU's stadium in 1973. The west side concrete "bleachers" that were just replaced a couple years ago, were the same bleachers in place in 1973 and had been constructed in the early 1960s. I think they were 20-25 rows high and the official seating (there was a plaque attached to the backside) was 10,000. Crowds were often 2,000 to 3000 but sometimes the crowds were smaller and sometimes larger. I do not have a great recollection of that game but I would have been there (I know that because I worked on the stats crew in the press box for football games) and watched my cousin, a freshman running back for the Bison

Great story about your mom, especially the 12 pack for the trip home. Got a good chuckle out of that.

Strategery
09-22-2017, 03:48 AM
My mother is a small, sweet, polite woman who could care less about sports... except for the Bison. She is one of the most rabid fans you will ever meet but one of the last people you would expect to be. My favorite Bison memory with either of my parents was the Cal-Poly game. My brothers and me lived right next to the T lot, so on the drive home from whatever we did that night, Dad parked there so we could all listen to the end of the game before they dropped us off. You all know what happened next. Walker to Heckendorf. Ballgame. And here goes Mom jumping out of the pickup running in circles in the T-lot going nuts screaming "Yes!!! Go Bison!!!" It was both awesome and hilarious and I'll never forget it as long as I live.

56BISON73
09-22-2017, 04:02 AM
PL: Minor correction on SDSU's stadium in 1973. The west side concrete "bleachers" that were just replaced a couple years ago, were the same bleachers in place in 1973 and had been constructed in the early 1960s. I think they were 20-25 rows high and the official seating (there was a plaque attached to the backside) was 10,000. Crowds were often 2,000 to 3000 but sometimes the crowds were smaller and sometimes larger. I do not have a great recollection of that game but I would have been there (I know that because I worked on the stats crew in the press box for football games) and watched my cousin, a freshman running back for the Bison

Great story about your mom, especially the 12 pack for the trip home. Got a good chuckle out of that.

Concrete bleachers I thought that was at Augie. So they both had them. Thanks for the correction.

You guys had a D-lineman nose guard by the name of Gary Lawrence? Was a camp kid with the Vikings I think. 6-5 ? Big kid. Coaches were worried all week that it was going to be a mismatch so they had me practice against Sanford Quale all week. They kept expecting me to get physical and bumpheads with Sanford which was stupid because Sanford was at least 6-5 / 6-6. I just kept telling coach dont worry I will get it figured out. And I did. It was all about quickness and getting position. Get in low, close , Wall him off while getting him caught up in the wash and then tip him over. Drive him Down the LOS not away from it. Use your angles. If he plays in the gap we would double team him off the LOS then the guard or myself would peel off and pick up the LB depending on which way the play went. We did that on the fly with no coaching in put.
We won. The end.:biggrin:

Who was the freshman running back? Dave Roby?

Oh almost forgot this----After the game when we are shaking hands etc etc Lawrence tells me---you really didnt have that a good game. I asked--how many tackles you get. The look on his face was priceless.

Then I met up with mom and all she could say was---WOW that kid was big. All I could say was--Yes he was.

Son of a Bison
09-22-2017, 04:19 AM
At Dacotah Field went to many games irregardless of weather. My dad would always hand me his thermos before walking into the game and have me say, "It's hot chocolate" if asked. Funny thing is when I got into the game I never got to have any hot chocolate from the thermos.

ndsubison1
09-22-2017, 04:48 AM
First Frisco game

LikeMothers
09-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Who was the freshman running back? Dave Roby?

As a Roby I bet he was from Watertown.

56BISON73
09-22-2017, 11:27 AM
My mother is a small, sweet, polite woman who could care less about sports... except for the Bison. She is one of the most rabid fans you will ever meet but one of the last people you would expect to be. My favorite Bison memory with either of my parents was the Cal-Poly game. My brothers and me lived right next to the T lot, so on the drive home from whatever we did that night, Dad parked there so we could all listen to the end of the game before they dropped us off. You all know what happened next. Walker to Heckendorf. Ballgame. And here goes Mom jumping out of the pickup running in circles in the T-lot going nuts screaming "Yes!!! Go Bison!!!" It was both awesome and hilarious and I'll never forget it as long as I live.

I like it!!!!!!

FrozenTech
09-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Unlike some I am still privileged to go to all home Bison games with my Father, and now my Mother too. That said, I think my favorite memory is how we started, tailgating out in the grass back when the west lot was grass, and had trees between it and the asphalt in the back of my S10, with a lil-weber, and a couple of chairs. That was where the decision to get more Bison gear, and at least one Bison tent was hatched. It was also in and around the 2009-2010 seasons. We went to every game regardless, and sat through the whole thing. That experience makes sitting through games like Mississippi Valley State easy - and enjoyable.

Today, the retirees in the family roll into the tail gate line Friday morning as the sun comes up wit BAV2, and we have a lot of Bison Gear. As a family we've been to every Bison FCS Championship game, and every FBS game since Colorado. This year the BAV2 is going to hit every away game too.

It might be better now, the football sure is. But sitting on the tailgate of my S10 in the often muddy field waiting to go to a game we hoped we'd win, and frequently didn't will stick with me. I don't think it makes me a better fan, but it sure helps make me appreciate where the Bison are, and where my family is today

80ALUM
09-22-2017, 02:31 PM
My dad was a graduate of NDSU and loved Bison footall. My first weekend home as a freshman he asked if I had learned the words to the "Alma Mater" yet. I said no and every visit home after that he would ask if I knew the words yet. He would walk around the house singing it. I always try to be in the stands for the playing of the "Alma Mater " so I can sing along. I get emotional every time.

Milkman
09-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Even though my daughter is only 4 I already have a ton of great memories we have shared involving Bison football games. Heck she even asked that her 4th birthday be Bison themed. But to be honest my favorite daddy daughter Bison moment didn't happen on game day. My daughter and I were walking in to church and she was wearing her Bison hoodie when a woman walked up and said "that's a nice sweater!" I say to my daughter "What do we say?" thinking I was prompting her to say "Thank you". Without missing a beat my daughter puts up two horns \m/ and says "Go BISON!" The woman grinned ear to ear and I have never been prouder haha.

JackJD
09-22-2017, 05:11 PM
As a Roby I bet he was from Watertown.

That's correct.

OtterTailLakeBison
09-22-2017, 07:55 PM
The first Frisco championship game. My mom and dad attended and had a blast. As a retired farmer, my Dad was trying to get his fingers to flash the "horns". During Friday's pep rally he couldn't his fingers down and was flashing a heil Hitler like signal, but he kept trying. We were all ROTFL. Then during tailgating, he kept working on it. Finally, just before kickoff, he successfully flashed the horns. He beamed ear to ear. This March he passed away of a heart attack. However that same day I received a hand written note from him, talking about Bison football. He was buried in a bison shirt with a bison hat on the side. The service insert had the law of the prairie "The Herd" lyrics. His spirit endures!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Green-N-Gold
09-24-2017, 01:33 AM
Being a farm kid from a small town in western ND and going into the BSA as a 10 year old with my dad and then going to see Jeff Bentrim and the boys crush the bunnies at Dacotah field. I was hooked.

PAC Bison
09-24-2017, 01:35 PM
My 84yo father was unfortunate enough to need surgery on a game day. The doctor scared the crap out of us saying he could end up on a ventilator, die, etc... When the nurse wheeled him out of the OR we didn't know what to expect. He had his eyes closed but whispered, "score". I told him it was halftime and the Bison are down 7 to 10. He sits up in bed eyes wide open and yells, "the Bison are down?!" Later in his room the nurse was looking at his dressing and he cringed. She asked if that hurt, and he said, "no, that was a good hit" as he was watching the game on a TV over her shoulder.

56BISON73
09-24-2017, 08:16 PM
My 84yo father was unfortunate enough to need surgery on a game day. The doctor scared the crap out of us saying he could end up on a ventilator, die, etc... When the nurse wheeled him out of the OR we didn't know what to expect. He had his eyes closed but whispered, "score". I told him it was halftime and the Bison are down 7 to 10. He sits up in bed eyes wide open and yells, "the Bison are down?!" Later in his room the nurse was looking at his dressing and he cringed. She asked if that hurt, and he said, "no, that was a good hit" as he was watching the game on a TV over her shoulder.

LOL LOL Great story :judges:

MAGZ
09-26-2017, 04:39 PM
From Iowa game last year. a memory I will NEVER FORGET....I'm talking to my 6 year old son about the Iowa game on our way there, and keep in mind all he's ever known is for the Bison is to win championships. He doesn't understand FCS vs. FBS at this point and I was trying to explain to him that there's a chance the Bison don't win this game. I just don't want him to be crushed on this road trip so I'm trying to soften the potential blow. His quote to me prior to the game is "Dad, sometimes the Bison play better teams and they still win", and I told him he was right and that does happen sometimes. Fast forward at the game prior to the game winning field goal....I tell him, "If he makes this, we win".....We're all pins and needles and as the ball goes through the uprights, my 6 year old son says "Dad, I told you so, I told you the Bison could win". Hugs and High Fives galore! Gotta love the experience for the family, the moment we shared, and the mind of a 6 year old Bison fan.

BraxtonT
09-30-2017, 05:48 AM
I have so many memories with my dad, but my favorite was the Southern Utah trip back in 2006 or 2007. We flew to Las Vegas and went to Hoover Dam before heading north to Utah. The Bison easily won the game, but didn't play all that well. Afterwards, we drove through Zion National Park. The next day allowed us a view of the north rim of Grand Canyon before heading back to Las Vegas.

Without Bison football, we never would have done that kind of trip together. Dad passed away after the 2013 championship season, but his love of Bison football has been passed down not only to me, but also to my two kids, too.

MNLonghorn10
09-30-2017, 06:10 AM
First Frisco gameYour parents are great. What'd they give us at the Colorado State tailgate again? Apple slices? Likely a life saver