PDA

View Full Version : U Mary

tjbison
09-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Leave it to a UND guy to do this

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/hockey/university-of-mary-approves-ice-hockey-for/article_856c9769-d39d-5d41-a597-e1054fda9549.html

I don't think it's a good idea for them, but whatever If they want to spend millions go ahead, give the fhawks a run. Recruiting will be a nightmare for them imo where the hell are they going to play?

ndsubison1
09-16-2017, 05:50 PM
I think it would be cool if it was Ncaa D1, but its not.

scottietohottie
09-16-2017, 05:52 PM
I think it would be cool if it was Ncaa D1, but its not.

Do they even have a thing called D1 hockey in the NCAA?

ndsubison1
09-16-2017, 05:54 PM

I thought there was D1 and D3?

ndsubison1
09-16-2017, 06:00 PM
According to Wiki one of the founders of ACHA was former NDSU player Jeff Aikens

MNLonghorn10
09-16-2017, 06:07 PM
yeesh..is hockey really that popular? it is in Grand Forks but it also borders a true hockey state and a lot of Northern MN kids/city kids go play there. its also a few hours south of a major Canadian city where they get talent from too.

Theres nothing in the middle of the state of ND that will tell me that hockeys popular, or that anyone would want to go play at Mary

BisonTeacher
09-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Waiting for approval? Aren't there like 40 teams in D1? Why would they say no?

ByeSonBusiness
09-16-2017, 06:37 PM
yeesh..is hockey really that popular? it is in Grand Forks but it also borders a true hockey state and a lot of Northern MN kids/city kids go play there. its also a few hours south of a major Canadian city where they get talent from too.

Theres nothing in the middle of the state of ND that will tell me that hockeys popular, or that anyone would want to go play at Mary

I wonder the same.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-16-2017, 09:56 PM

No, hockey is not popular in ND outside of the valley. The only arena available in Bismarck is a tin shed with bleacher seating that holds about 200 people.

Good luck to them, no one is Bismarck gives a shit about Mary, hockey isn't going to change that.

tony
09-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Club hockey....

KilldeerBison
09-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Pandora's box, don't open it!

Christopher Moen
09-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Club hockey....

Yeah, this a non-story. NDSU has a team in the same organization (AHCA) and won three DI National Championships in the 90s. The team is now DII.

Jamestown recently started a team. Minot State has one, so does UM-Crookston and SDSU. Heck, just about every major university/colleges in the United States, especial those that don't field a NCAA team, has a AHCA team. It's just that nobody outside the few within of the super, die-hard hockey fanbase really cares.

The only time this should be story is when one of the AHCA teams joins the NCAA, much like Penn State and Arizona State have done recently.

Mr Meaty
09-18-2017, 05:54 PM

It is just called the "Highest" level....

Christopher Moen
09-18-2017, 06:46 PM
It is just called the "Highest" level....

If you want to piss off die-hard college hockey fans, just remind them that the "highest" level is actually the AHL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ice_hockey_structure

Mr Meaty
09-18-2017, 08:44 PM
If you want to piss off die-hard college hockey fans, just remind them that the "highest" level is actually the AHL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_ice_hockey_structure

Yes, that will do it.

tjbison
09-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Club hockey....

Well they sure make it sound differently to some that don't know better, I have no idea the structure and seen DI ACHA figured it was NCAA...now it makes way more sense

56BISON73
09-18-2017, 11:50 PM
That sure is a lot of bullshit to announce a club hockey team.

tjbison
09-18-2017, 11:54 PM
That sure is a lot of bullshit to announce a club hockey team.

me thinks they wanted it that way to try rouse support, ill bet there are just as many dumbasses as me running around Bis right now proclaiming Umary a DI team...lol

I would have never known unless Tony didnt point that out. Good thing I havent told anyone yet....:hide::facepalm:

56BISON73
09-18-2017, 11:57 PM
me thinks they wanted it that way to try rouse support, ill bet there are just as many dumbasses as me running around Bis right now proclaiming Umary a DI team...lol

I would have never known unless Tony didnt point that out. Good thing I havent told anyone yet....:hide::facepalm:

I almost fell for it also.

Hail Tony!!!!

Christopher Moen
09-19-2017, 12:24 AM
Well they sure make it sound differently to some that don't know better, I have no idea the structure and seen DI ACHA figured it was NCAA...now it makes way more sense

A DI ACHA team is about a notch lower than a DIII NCAA team. Little to no school funding and no athletic scholarships. However, the number of ACHA teams to compete against is far greater than the NCAA can offer.

ByeSonBusiness
09-19-2017, 01:56 AM
No, hockey is not popular in ND outside of the valley. The only arena available in Bismarck is a tin shed with bleacher seating that holds about 200 people.

Good luck to them, no one is Bismarck gives a shit about Mary, hockey isn't going to change that.

The bobcats gotta play somewhere.... don't they?

AKBison
09-19-2017, 04:24 PM
The bobcats gotta play somewhere.... don't they?

ACHA is what you make it. Minot State goes all out, scores and highlights are generally on the 10:00 news and they even have a coaches show, it is their most visible athletic program after m/w basketball and football. A variety of schools across the spectrum like Illinois, Iowa State, Lindenwood, Jamestown, Colorado state and now Mary take it serious as well. I love college Hockey and wish NDSU would take Club hockey a bit more serious and fund it better but is what it is.

Yote 53
09-20-2017, 07:05 PM
ACHA hockey can run the gamut of being a complete joke (like it is at USD) to being a high profile, well funded, high attendance program (like it was at Arizona State). Top end D1 ACHA programs will beat NCAA D3 programs, and don't kid yourself, to play NCAA D3 hockey you have to be pretty good these days. There is a glut of talented hockey players being produced in the United States now that have nowhere to go once they hit college age. Credit to USA Hockey for putting out so many good players. Now it's up to the colleges to provide more hockey opportunities, just like they should be expanding men's soccer, men's lacrosse, etc.