PDA

View Full Version : Saluki Game Notes

tony
11-15-2005, 10:26 AM
PDF of their weekly release (http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/silu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf)

-SIU has been ranked #1 this year.
-They beat the #1 team on their turf a couple weeks ago too.
-They are co-champions of their conference.
-Lost by 6 points to a DI-A school.
-They've blocked four punts.
-They've returned 3 punts for TDs.
-They've got 32 sacks this year.
-They average 40 points a game and only give up 111 yards per game.

They've got a very good coach and outstanding talent (for example, Craig Turner is explosive on offense (RB), special teams, and they even put him in the secondary from time to time). The Salukis are going to be a big test.

Gamehunter
11-15-2005, 11:06 PM
PDF of their weekly release (http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/silu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf)

-SIU has been ranked #1 this year.
-They beat the #1 team on their turf a couple weeks ago too.
-They are co-champions of their conference.
-Lost by 6 points to a DI-A school.
-They've blocked four punts.
-They've returned 3 punts for TDs.
-They've got 32 sacks this year.
-They average 40 points a game and only give up 111 yards per game.

They've got a very good coach and outstanding talent (for example, Craig Turner is explosive on offense (RB), special teams, and they even put him in the secondary from time to time). The Salukis are going to be a big test.

That can't be right, or they are giving up HUGE yardage to special teams.

9/1/2005 SE Missouri State 58-23
9/10/2005 Union (KY) 82-7
9/17/2005 Western Michigan 28-34
10/1/2005 Missouri State 30-23
10/8/2005 Western Illinois 34-24
10/15/2005 Illinois State 35-61
10/22/2005 Indiana State 42-20
10/27/2005 Western Kentucky 31-20
11/5/2005 Youngstown State 31-17
11/12/2005 Northern Iowa 24-25

They have given up a fair share of points this year.

roadwarrior
11-15-2005, 11:54 PM
The SIU defense gives up 111.8 yards rushing per game and 278.9 passing for a total defensive average of 390.7 per game.

JBB
11-15-2005, 11:59 PM
On the road against one of the nations best teams might seem like a tall order and it is. *The BISON do have something to prove however and a win here would be huge. *Its an upset to be sure, but look for the BISON to find a way, probably a special teams play.

The Salukis have a good passing game. * NDSU has a good passing defense.

They give up a lot of yds on kickoffs and allow a lot of rushing yds. *That will give the BISON their running game and a chance for some big plays on special teams. *In addition, *NDSU must pass for a lot of first downs.

Keys:

NDSU must stop them on third down. *they are currently converting over half of them.

NDSU has to get some sacks. *

NDSU has to have a good passing day and they must limit the Salukis to a below avg. day.

There are some differences here but at the team level things are balanced. *Strength against strength. *Washington is a plus for NDSU on special teams. *

The production of their running back corps looks a lot like ours except their top back Arkee Whitlock avgs 128 yds/game. *Steffes just over 100. *Our rushing defense is better hopefully neutralizing this advantage.

Their QB, Joel Sambursky, is outstanding. *His statistics are superior to Walkers. *The BISON will have to find some way to neutralize this guy and his 14 active receivers. *Naturally with the superior passer the receivers look better on paper than the BISON. *The BISON will have to find a way to keep the passing game struggling. *An average day for this bunch makes it a bad day for NDSU. *A good day by the NDSU secondary makes it a tough day for the Salukis.

On an individual basis the Salukis have some significant advantages, but this is a team sport and the BISON are balanced with a lot of individual talent ready to step up to the challenge.

Saluki Stats (http://www.siuc.edu/media/FBStats/TEAMCUME.HTM
)
NDSU Stats (http://wat.midco.net/traci20011/insider/HTML/stats.html)

99Bison
11-16-2005, 06:36 AM
Number lie... Lets see what happens on the field! Go Bison!

BisonBryce
11-16-2005, 06:42 AM
Well I know it was a couple years ago but the Salukis have had my respect ever since they almost beat the gophers in the HHHomerDome.

It really comes down to if the ship is indeed righted by the Bison. Joe Mays will need to be his usual self of destroying anything he sees. Good luck Joe. Just need consistency. That is what I've been worried about this second half of the season.

Btw..anyone know what kind of offense they run?

Gamehunter
11-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Well I know it was a couple years ago but the Salukis have had my respect ever since they almost beat the gophers in the HHHomerDome.

It really comes down to if the ship is indeed righted by the Bison. Joe Mays will need to be his usual self of destroying anything he sees. Good luck Joe. Just need consistency. That is what I've been worried about this second half of the season.

Btw..anyone know what kind of offense they run?

High scoring

GFBisonFan
11-16-2005, 04:54 PM
The other thing we have going in this game is all of the Illinois recruits playing close to home-I'm sure that they want to make a very good impression!!

I think it will be a great game- have a good feeling for it.