PDA

View Full Version : Practice 2017

goalpost
08-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Has anyone else been to some of the practices besides Jeff & Dom?
Wondering who looks good and who might be a big surprise.
thanks

HerdBot
08-08-2017, 04:30 PM
A surprise walk-on named Leon Sandcastle has been the surprise of the camp.

thebootfitter
08-08-2017, 04:34 PM

I thought I also heard rumblings about some dude named Scott something? Maybe Stan? Or Steve? Steve, I think. Steve Threet?

IzzyFlexion
08-08-2017, 07:30 PM
I thought I also heard rumblings about some dude named Scott something? Maybe Stan? Or Steve? Steve, I think. Steve Threet?

Poor guy didn't even make it through two full seasons as he was plagued by multiple concussions. He played well for Michigan in 2008 before transferring to ASU. Sat out the 2009 season (transfer rule) and played most of the 2010 season for the Sun Devils. He suffered his 4th major concussion against UCLA on November 26th 2010 and handed the reins to rising star Brock Osweiler to finish that season for them. Threet retired and became a student assistant.

/end thread drift.

goalpost
08-09-2017, 09:38 PM
Poor guy didn't even make it through two full seasons as he was plagued by multiple concussions. He played well for Michigan in 2008 before transferring to ASU. Sat out the 2009 season (transfer rule) and played most of the 2010 season for the Sun Devils. He suffered his 4th major concussion against UCLA on November 26th 2010 and handed the reins to rising star Brock Osweiler to finish that season for them. Threet retired and became a student assistant.

/end thread drift.

Desmond Cain looks outstanding , we need to get him the ball, a lot !

mtoutfitter
08-09-2017, 09:49 PM

Did you go to practice?

Alsen
08-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Four years ago there may have been a sliver of humor in this; now it is about as played as,"C'mon Man!!"

Professor Chaos
08-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Heard Culhane say something similar on the Insiders on Tuesday. He said something about Cain putting some tremendous moves on Dom Davis (who's been coming on in his own right from what I've hard). I'd say initial reports would suggest that Cain has the best separatability (if that's a word???) in the WR corps right now.

Mr Meaty
08-10-2017, 02:07 PM
We have the weapons. They need a great game plan and execute it .

HerdBot
08-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Four years ago there may have been a sliver of humor in this; now it is about as played as,"C'mon Man!!"

There's a reason you have red chicklets

DM05
08-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Heard Culhane say something similar on the Insiders on Tuesday. He said something about Cain putting some tremendous moves on Dom Davis (who's been coming on in his own right from what I've hard). I'd say initial reports would suggest that Cain has the best separatability (if that's a word???) in the WR corps right now.

Really excited to see what Cain can do on a team with a good run game. Could be a huge threat covered one on one when teams stack the box...

Bison20
08-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Really excited to see what Cain can do on a team with a good run game. Could be a huge threat covered one on one when teams stack the box...

We really need that guy who can separate and that defenses have to game plan for. We didn't have anyone last year that defenses were scared of and needed to keep a safety over the top. If he can stretch the field that will help our run game a lot.

Bison20
08-10-2017, 04:58 PM

We really need that guy who can separate and that defenses have to game plan for. We didn't have anyone last year that defenses were scared of and needed to keep a safety over the top. If he can stretch the field that will help our run game a lot.

BisManBison
08-10-2017, 06:32 PM
A true number one type receiver that can stretch the field that commands a double team would do wonders for our offense. It will create mismatches and open up underneath routes for Shep, Legendowski, and the tight ends that a west coast offense should be able to exploit AND make it difficult to stack the box against the run. I'm cautiously optimistic we should see great improvement in our offense being more consistent and multidimensional this year.

KilldeerBison
08-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Any updates?

Professor Chaos
08-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Any updates?
I think it's safe to say this weekend's practices weren't as destructive as last weekend's. No more All-Americans lost for the season that is. I know they scrimmaged on Saturday so we'll probably get some updates from that on the Insiders today or with Jeff and Dom throughout the week.

bruinbison
08-15-2017, 07:59 PM
http://www.wday.com/sports/football/4312271-freshman-waege-trying-join-ndsu-defensive-rotation?amp

true freshman DE Spencer Waege mention:

Head coach Chris Klieman says that Waege is fifth on the defensive end depth chart behind Stanley Jones, Caleb Butler and Jarrod and Derek Tuszka.

A1pigskin
08-16-2017, 12:55 AM
Is Cain the next Ryan Smith or better?

bri-dog
08-16-2017, 01:41 AM

I'd think Cain is Abel....

BFKasper14
08-16-2017, 03:36 AM
I'd think Cain is Abel....

BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

(Gotta love the Bible jokes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Meaty
08-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Better, will be able to stretch the field more with separation.

goalpost
08-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Better, will be able to stretch the field more with separation.

From what I hear is , If stick can get him the ball , he going to do some damage .

wisco4
08-16-2017, 03:21 PM
From what I hear is , If stick can get him the ball , he going to do some damage .

Why wouldn't Easton be able to get Desmond the ball?

goalpost
08-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Why wouldn't Easton be able to get Desmond the ball?

a little inconsistent last year , don't you think??

NachZ
08-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Led the league in yards per completion (13.79) and was second in passing efficiency (142.2.)

Christopher Moen
08-16-2017, 04:38 PM

After injuring his back, yes. Before, not so much - especially in regards to the deep ball.

wagsabison
08-16-2017, 06:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing Easton's improvement. Have no reason to believe he won't get better. He had some great leadership before him.

goalpost
08-16-2017, 06:54 PM
Looking forward to seeing Easton's improvement. Have no reason to believe he won't get better. He had some great leadership before him.

I think he will have a great year also, I can tell by his interviews, he sound like a true leader.

NDSUSR
08-16-2017, 08:12 PM
It may just be me not seeing it, but I never see him firing up the O.
I miss the fire Brock had.

Mr. Burgundy
08-16-2017, 09:25 PM

he is entering into his Junior season. Kid is the unquestioned leader of the offense. Everyone leads differently. It feels like he has been around forever. He has improved. Will continue to improve. Great work ethic, with great leaders above him. Plus, he added some weapons.

BadlandsBison
08-16-2017, 09:36 PM
he is entering into his Junior season. Kid is the unquestioned leader of the offense. Everyone leads differently. It feels like he has been around forever. He has improved. Will continue to improve. Great work ethic, with great leaders above him. Plus, he added some weapons.

Yes. Easton is not ho-hum, he is a competitor. Remember, Brock was not voted a captain.

Christopher Moen
08-17-2017, 12:14 AM

Perhaps that's because you're not in the huddle like the rest of us. Bruce Anderson spoke well about Easton's leadership today on The Insiders: https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/ndsu-hb-bruce-anderson-8-16-17

NDSUSR
08-17-2017, 01:22 AM
Perhaps that's because you're not in the huddle like the rest of us. Bruce Anderson spoke well about Easton's leadership today on The Insiders: https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/ndsu-hb-bruce-anderson-8-16-17

Whats he supposed to say?
I sure didn't see much fire when JSU beat NDSU.

Mr Meaty
08-17-2017, 01:33 AM

Not all players so emotion while playing regards if they are winning or losing. Stick is our guy and I am glad he is one of our leaders and is our quarterback. 20-2 boy that sucks.

Christopher Moen
08-17-2017, 01:48 AM

Now you're cherrypicking and perhaps looking to blame one individual for the JMU lost. If that's the case, then I suggest you bring up that game up with the guy who left for Iowa of why he didn't go for the jugular when the opportunity presented itself by playing it "safe" with very conservative play-calling. As much as I like Tim Polasek, I felt he outsmarted himself by not sticking with the change of direction of plays JMU had no answers for due to them overselling on the power-run scheme.

In regards to the podcast, Bruce, Easton's teammate by the way, called him "the general." That's not a statement that should be disregarded as fluff talk. Easton's playmaking ability and leadership is one of the main reason's why NDSU has won so many games with him in control of the offense, especially the game against the Hawkeyes.

As for comparing Stick to Jensen, please don't forget Brock had his bad moments too.

Scooter1
08-17-2017, 02:01 AM
Now you're cherrypicking and perhaps looking to blame one individual for the JMU lost. If that's the case, then I suggest you bring up that game up with the guy who left for Iowa of why he didn't go for the jugular when the opportunity presented itself by playing it "safe" with very conservative play-calling. As much as I like Tim Polasek, I felt he outsmarted himself by not sticking with the change of direction of plays JMU had no answers for due to them overselling on the power-run scheme.

In regards to the podcast, Bruce, Easton's teammate by the way, called him "the general." That's not a statement that should be disregarded as fluff talk. Easton's playmaking ability and leadership is one of the main reason's why NDSU has won so many games with him in control of the offense, especially the game against the Hawkeyes.

As for comparing Stick to Jensen, please don't forget Brock had his bad moments too.

Perfect response.
Jesus, we have to be the most spoiled fans in the history of football...

scottietohottie
08-17-2017, 02:14 AM
I never want to see that deer in the headlights look that the general had before halftime of the sdsu playoff game ever again. Hopefully they cover clock display location and clock management in fall camp this year.

HerdBot
08-17-2017, 02:15 AM
Not all players so emotion while playing regards if they are winning or losing. Stick is our guy and I am glad he is one of our leaders and is our quarterback. 20-2 boy that sucks.

Being even keeled is a great trait for a QB. Don't get too high or too low and stay cool, calm, collected, and in control. Too much emotion for a QB can be a bad thing. Look at Wentz, you can never tell by his demeanor if it's the 1st drive or last drive. Easton is similar and even a bit more laid back. The good leaders know when the team needs some fire. It's not effective to be fiery the whole game or it loses its impact

EC8CH
08-17-2017, 02:23 AM
Being even keeled is a great trait for a QB. Don't get too high or too low and stay cool, calm, collected, and in control. Too much emotion for a QB can be a bad thing. Look at Wentz, you can never tell by his demeanor if it's the 1st drive or last drive. Easton is similar and even a bit more laid back. The good leaders know when the team needs some fire. It's not effective to be fiery the whole game or it loses its impact

Speak softly... Carry a Big Stick.

Christopher Moen
08-17-2017, 02:30 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also thought Jensen also played liked this until a TD. A perfect example would be the drive against KSU.

To me, he had the Joe Montana-demeanor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EC8CH
08-17-2017, 02:48 AM
Remember when Stick lead with his shoulder into that all American DB from Iowa instead of sliding? LEADERSHIP!

Bisonfanatical
08-17-2017, 03:08 AM
It is wrong to compare QB'S to much. Each one has his strengths and weaknesses imo.
Easton has 2 losses but Jensen had losses, as did wentz.
Easton has made mistakes, as has Jensen and Wentz.
They let a 1st round draft pick sit on the bench behind a QB who was not as talented, but ended up the winningest QB in the fcs.
It would be nice of the nay sayers could at least let the year progress, give a talented young man his just due?
Of course that won't happen though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TwinCityBison
08-17-2017, 03:35 AM
Easton is on track for a big year! He is only going to get better. Best yet to come!

BisonNeil
08-17-2017, 04:18 AM
It is wrong to compare QB'S to much. Each one has his strengths and weaknesses imo.
Easton has 2 losses but Jensen had losses, as did wentz.
Easton has made mistakes, as has Jensen and Wentz.
They let and 2nd round draft pick sit on the bench behind a QB who was not as talented, but ended up the winningest QB in the fcs.
It would be nice of the nay sayers could at least let the year progress, give a talented young man his just due?
Of course that won't happen though.

For clarification, Wentz was the number 2 pick, as in the first round, not a second round pick.

Bisonfanatical
08-17-2017, 10:13 AM
For clarification, Wentz was the number 2 pick, as in the first round, not a second round pick.True,
Hate using this phone to text, it never comes out right out seems.
I stand corrected.

Professor Chaos
08-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Remember when Stick lead with his shoulder into that all American DB from Iowa instead of sliding? LEADERSHIP!
Truth. Jensen was a great and clutch QB but he was never voted team captain despite being a 3.5 year starter at QB. Stick is on his way to being a 3 year captain. His teammates know the type of leadership he brings to the table.

wagsabison
08-17-2017, 01:17 PM
Jensen had his iffy moments as a sophomore and junior (Indiana State comes to mind :facepalm:) before being lights out as a senior. Stick will be fine.

Bison20
08-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Jensen had his iffy moments as a sophomore and junior (Indiana State comes to mind :facepalm:) before being lights out as a senior. Stick will be fine.

Hard to complain with any of the last 3 qbs we have had. They all have done well and stick should only get better. Look at the years prior to those guys and then rethink the posts bashing stick or jensen.

Bison 4 Life
08-17-2017, 02:43 PM
Look at all the QB's in the Payton hunt that we've mauled in the last 5 years. Our offense plays as a team. Our QB has always been a leader, not a gaudy stat machine.

Bisonator98
08-17-2017, 03:32 PM
September 2nd can't get here soon enough!

Bison 4 Life
08-17-2017, 03:35 PM
September 2nd can't get here soon enough!

all of this.

bruinbison
08-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Only 2 names mentioned yesterday by Jeff & Dom as to possible true freshmen playing:

Bison on verge of redshirting second straight entire freshman class

The Bison may yet pull the redshirts of a couple of defensive ends in Spencer Waege from Watertown, S.D., and Logan McCormick from Appleton, Wis.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4314420-bison-verge-redshirting-second-straight-entire-freshman-class

Also mentioned is last year's class of 23 - now redshirt freshmen - and their possible playing time. In addition to Dillon Radunz probably starting......

Klieman said he expects receiver Sean Engel and linebacker Jabril Cox to play in a rotation. He also said offensive lineman Zach Kubas from Dickinson, N.D., is not far from playing.

HerdBot
08-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Only 2 names mentioned yesterday by Jeff & Dom as to possible true freshmen playing:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4314420-bison-verge-redshirting-second-straight-entire-freshman-class

Also mentioned is last year's class of 23 - now redshirt freshmen - and their possible playing time. In addition to Dillon Radunz probably starting......

Love when we can redshirt most players. Nothing is worse than trading a players best year for a crappy first year where they are undersized, mentally still learning D1 football, and hardly play. (see Brad Ambrosius and his wasted first year by Craig Bohl, the guy would be an all American caliber player this year)

With the new rules, can't we play a true freshman for up to like 3 or games anyways? This could be a great tool if we make a playoff run and get some injuries. All these guys will be night and day ahead in December than August. That's 5 months of reps, learning, and training with Kramer

Bison20
08-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Love when we can redshirt most players. Nothing is worse than trading a players best year for a crappy first year where they are undersized, mentally still learning D1 football, and hardly play. (see Brad Ambrosius and his wasted first year by Craig Bohl, the guy would be an all American caliber player this year)

With the new rules, can't we play a true freshman for up to like 3 or games anyways? This could be a great tool if we make a playoff run and get some injuries. All these guys will be night and day ahead in December than August. That's 5 months of reps, learning, and training with Kramer

I think those were proposed changes but have not taken effect yet. Would give you a chance to play a few guys in games and see if they are ready. Deluca didn't red shirt either which I thought was a mistake although he did well on special teams.

bruinbison
08-19-2017, 07:34 PM
I can think of 3 recent examples where the Bison played a true freshman and, later on in their career, a season ending injury occurred, but then a redshirt was still available - Greg Menard, DeLuca and Zach Johnson. So if a player is ready and will get enough pt, great, play'em. The Bohl example (Ambrosius) was unfortunate because the Bison were only short DE's a couple games. Bohl then did not keep Ambrosius in the rotation, leading to kinda a wasted year of eligibility. But, it was a championship season......

HerdBot
08-20-2017, 02:47 PM
I can think of 3 recent examples where the Bison played a true freshman and, later on in their career, a season ending injury occurred, but then a redshirt was still available - Greg Menard, DeLuca and Zach Johnson. So if a player is ready and will get enough pt, great, play'em. The Bohl example (Ambrosius) was unfortunate because the Bison were only short DE's a couple games. Bohl then did not keep Ambrosius in the rotation, leading to kinda a wasted year of eligibility. But, it was a championship season......

Heagle missed a year too. I think the common theme of the 3 players you mentioned is they were all physically ready to play. We don't get many athletes like DeLuca who are physically ready to play as an 18 year old. Those kids usually go power 5. We're a developmental program and take tall skinny kids like Joe Haeg and Carson Wentz and turn them into NFL draft picks

Looks like the 2 freshman DEs we are looking at are already the ideal size do I could see one of them playing based on need.

On the flip side, those players helped us win National Championships so it obviously worked out but in general I am against trading a players worst year for their best