PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Defense: Potentially best ever?

tony
07-03-2017, 01:39 PM
Hopefully, this thread title breaks Betteridge's law of headlines.

Anyway, in one of Jeff's and Dom's deals, Kolpack said that this defense has the potential to be the best ever at NDSU.

The defensive line looks solid and deep.

Linebackers - well, imo, DeLuca is the best MLB I've seen at NDSU, Levi Jordheim looked very good before his injury, and Plank looked pretty good backing up DeLuca, but nobody else is proven. Marlette has gotten some snaps and I think we've all been waiting to see Jabril Cox on the field.

DBs: Tre and Robbie have lots of experience at safety, but there's no experienced depth there. And at CB, Jalen Allison and Jayaan Wimbush have experience but need to lift their game up.

Safe to say that if Tanguay and DeLuca stay healthy, the defense should be better than last year, but it's a huge leap from there to "best ever." I sure hope they make that jump.

BisonTeacher
07-03-2017, 01:41 PM
Man I hope so. I'd like to see them get back to a pressure defense as opposed to the bend but don't break version we saw last year.

Mr Meaty
07-03-2017, 01:54 PM
I was just talking about this same subject with other Bison fans yesterday. We all agree that this should be a "best" defense in NDSU history. No pressure there. lol
But we will be deeper than in the past couple of years. Great veteran leadership on the field. It will still need our offense to help control the TOP and keep the defense "fresh". The offense can get up early and make a the other team one dimensional. Control the clock and defense can just pin their ears back to go for it. Team effort is needed.

thebigund
07-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Hopefully, this thread title breaks Betteridge's law of headlines.

Anyway, in one of Jeff's and Dom's deals, Kolpack said that this defense has the potential to be the best ever at NDSU.

The defensive line looks solid and deep.

Linebackers - well, imo, DeLuca is the best MLB I've seen at NDSU, Levi Jordheim looked very good before his injury, and Plank looked pretty good backing up DeLuca, but nobody else is proven. Marlette has gotten some snaps and I think we've all been waiting to see Jabril Cox on the field.

DBs: Tre and Robbie have lots of experience at safety, but there's no experienced depth there. And at CB, Jalen Allison and Jayaan Wimbush have experience but need to lift their game up.

Safe to say that if Tanguay and DeLuca stay healthy, the defense should be better than last year, but it's a huge leap from there to "best ever." I sure hope they make that jump.
Not a chance. Nobody on Marcus Williams' level. The only LB upgrade is DeLuca. The rest are major downgrades. DL has good players for sure but is Menard on the Emmanuel level? It's the offseason I know but this is a huge stretch.

Prime Power
07-03-2017, 03:06 PM
LOL!!!! Front seven as a group are great with a few question marks LB. Secondary is no where near great.

Hammerhead
07-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Which defense holds the current title? Is is the 2006 team with 3 upper-classmen who played in the NFL for multiple years, the 2013 team, or someone else?

bisonmike2
07-03-2017, 03:31 PM
I hope we can revisit this thread in January and say, "yes, they were the best ever."

ZHerd
07-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Not a chance. Nobody on Marcus Williams' level. The only LB upgrade is DeLuca. The rest are major downgrades. DL has good players for sure but is Menard on the Emmanuel level? It's the offseason I know but this is a huge stretch.

Unfortunately this. Plank is average, the other spot is a complete unknown, the d-line is good but not as dominant as people think, and the secondary...sorry but they need to prove themselves. I'm excited about the defense with all of the returning players, and I like the upside and think they have a definite up arrow but I'm not ready to anoint what was arguably the poorest defense of the past 6 years as the preseason greatest ever. I'm fully expecting that they will be better than last year though.

EC8CH
07-03-2017, 04:51 PM
Should be better than last year (definitely deeper), but best ever? I don't think so.

Hope I'm wrong though. Would love to see some young talent step up and dominate their first year.

cbline
07-03-2017, 04:54 PM
2013 defensive stats to chew on:

1. Points allowed per game = 11.3

2. Rushing yards allowed per game = 91.3

3. Rushing TD's allowed = 7

4. Bison punted 52 times that year. Opponents: 101

5. Opponents' scoring per quarter: 1st - 34; 2nd - 71; 3rd - 51; 4th - 13

thebigund
07-03-2017, 04:56 PM

That entire was completely filthy.

Herd
07-03-2017, 05:01 PM

Best Ever? That remains to be seen. Best ever full unit was 2013 . . .

2013: Sraters - (backups)
Front: Emanuel, Drevlow, Perry, Juric. (Lueke, Tang, Schatz, Hardie)
Middle: GO, LJ, Beck (PGT, Deluca, Stumpf)
Back: Marcus, CJ, Heagle, Duds, Shep (Champ, Trey)

2017: Starters - (backups)
Menard, Tang, Steidl, Tuszka (Jones, Morgan, Darnell, Karcz, Butler, Tuszka)
Board, Plank, Deluca (Jordheim, Marlette, Cox)
Wimbush, Allison, Dempsey, Grim, Davis (Hendrix, Bidges, Dixon, Fort, Brown)

2013 vs 2017:
Front: push - edge to 2013 starter, but 2017 depth.
Mid: Better unit 2013, but great talent in 2017; two Mikes remains to be seen; speed and gap integrity in 2013 was extraordinary.
Back: 2013 wow, can 2017 tackle like 2013? Need to prove it.

2013 with the edge imo.

tony
07-03-2017, 05:03 PM
Which defense holds the current title? Is is the 2006 team with 3 upper-classmen who played in the NFL for multiple years, the 2013 team, or someone else?

2013 for DI and all-time (26% 3rd down conversion rate!)
2006 for transition
1986 for D2
1965 for Pre-D2 (gave up 113 yards per game!)

2013 for best all-time: Marcus Williams, Christian Dudzick, Colten Heagle, and CJ Smith were the starting DBs. Kyle Emanuel, Cole Jirik, Mike Hardie, etc at DE. Drevlow, Schaetz and Perry on the inside. Beck, Littlejohn, Thorton, and Grant Olson at LB.

If 2017 is going to challenge best all-time, there will have to be improvements everywhere. And these improvements are going to have to translate into a much lower opponent 3rd down conversion rate. Last year's 40% was the worst since 2009.

We're also going to need to see these guys make big impacts: Cole Karcz, Derreck Tuszka, Dom Davis, Jabril Cox, Dan Marlette... and the CBs are going to have to take the next step.

Kujava23
07-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Alright---lets examine further

DT Nathan Tanguay---arguably the best DT in FCS
DE Greg Menard--was an All-American as a JR with 11 sacks
DT Aaron Steidl--returning starter---also add Grant Morgan--plus Cole Karcz who I've been excited since verbal--interested to see how fares being moved inside--Quinn Alo RFR get some reps too perhaps
DE Cole Butler--endless motor equals hurries and sacks--backups Stanley Jones, Derrek & Jared Tuszka--really good depth to keep guys fresh
MLB Matt Plank--really good run stuffer
WLB Nick DeLuca--arguably the best LB in the FCS--he will move inside on passing downs since is great in coverage
SLB Chris Board/Jabril Cox---two great athletes who have potential to be great
CB Jalen Allison two year starter--good coverage---had his moments that stuggled but bigger corner who would start on any FCS team--Marquise Bridges b/u
CB Jaylen Wimbush keeps improving--big corner--good vs run; Dom Davis b/u who will concentrate outside CB this year and could push Wimbush
FS Tre Dempsey---covers lots of space quickly--good ball skills--willing tackler---I feel has NFL potential; Jaxon Brown/Eric Bachmeier
SS Robbie Grimsley---felt he improved most last year on the Bison Defense---am excited to see what he can do this year--James Hendricks b/u now Coach Klieman talked about him a lot in Spring Ball
Nickel---Darren Kelly--big fast db that im intrigued to see play here

I told Coach Entz at NDSU Coaches Clinic that this group could be special---he said iFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF can stay healthy---which is fair when lose your two best players last year

I feel this defense can COMPETE with the '13 Defense if stay healthy and couple positions step up

HerdBot
07-03-2017, 05:22 PM
LOL!!!! Front seven as a group are great with a few question marks LB. Secondary is no where near great.

Jalen Allison has the potential to be as good as any corner we've ever had. Tre Dempsey is a stud.

We need Grimsley to take his game to the next level and improve at the #2 and #3 corner.

If that happens we could be pretty darn good.

Love the front 7 though. Deeper than years past and feet talented. We need everyone to continue that upwards trajectory. Need one of the young linebackers to do well

stevdock
07-03-2017, 05:48 PM
I know 2013 was arguably the best Bison team ever, but I believe it was Dudzik said on the radio in the last couple weeks that there were other defensive groups that had better stats than the 2013 group. I just don't remember which other two groups he said. One was either 2012 or 2014, and I want to say the other was somewhere around 2006, 2007, etc.

DM05
07-03-2017, 06:46 PM
A few things I'm looking forward to on defense:
1. Jabril Cox: really hope he gets it and they let him play with DeLuca, just to see those two monsters on the field together.
2. Nascar package: late in the game passing situations, Menard, Karcz, Butler, and a Tuzska just pinning their ears back and getting pressure.

2013 defense had all played so many games, but there wasn't a ton of depth. Didn't really need it because they were hardly on the field with the way the offense played. 2017 secondary has to make major strides for the to get to best ever status. The offense staying on the field will be a big help.

Early schedule could help this team quite a bit this year: Mississippi Valley State, Robert Morris, Missouri State and Indiana State should be the 4 worst teams we play this year, should get some wrinkles ironed out and let some young guys get experience/prove they can play. Mix in a road trip test at Eastern Washington, and we can head into the meat of the conference season knowing what we have.

MVSU and Bob Morris ranked 118 and 122 in total offense, respectively, last season and combined for 400 yards per game. Should be lots of garbage time...

Son of a Bison
07-03-2017, 07:08 PM
Performance of the defense also depends on the offense, special teams and also the coaches. New OC will affect the defense.

NorthernBison
07-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Performance of the defense also depends on the offense, special teams and also the coaches. New OC will affect the defense.

The opposite is true also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZHerd
07-03-2017, 10:08 PM

Great defenses get off the field quickly irregardless of what the offense does

td577
07-04-2017, 12:19 AM
Jalen Allison has the potential to be as good as any corner we've ever had. Tre Dempsey is a stud.

We need Grimsley to take his game to the next level and improve at the #2 and #3 corner.

If that happens we could be pretty darn good.

Love the front 7 though. Deeper than years past and feet talented. We need everyone to continue that upwards trajectory. Need one of the young linebackers to do well

I thought Grimsley has gotten better in every game he has played. He was getting better by the end of last year at not getting sucked up into the wash on every play action. He isn't an all-world tackler, but he is getting better at it. I am not worried about his role on the team and feel he is getting a very good grasp of how he is supposed to fit in a team defense philosophy. It has been baby steps, but in my opinion they have all been mostly forward and the third season we should see that next level.

HerdBot
07-04-2017, 12:38 AM
I thought Grimsley has gotten better in every game he has played. He was getting better by the end of last year at not getting sucked up into the wash on every play action. He isn't an all-world tackler, but he is getting better at it. I am not worried about his role on the team and feel he is getting a very good grasp of how he is supposed to fit in a team defense philosophy. It has been baby steps, but in my opinion they have all been mostly forward and the third season we should see that next level.

Was listening to one of our coaches on the radio and they said he added some really good weigh which will help in run support. If he can get to that 200 lb range and keep his speed, he's got some big time potential. As a freshman he was 180 dripping wet. Different type of player than Colton Heagle who was a tackling machine (and one of my favorite players ever) but pretty meh in coverage. Robbie is a total stud in coverage but needs to work on his tackling skills. Overall I think he's a better athlete than Heags so the potential is there

thebigund
07-04-2017, 04:14 AM
Great defenses get off the field quickly irregardless of what the offense does

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardless

Also you're an idiot. Any defense will get completely gassed and not have enough time to make adjustments between series if the offense repeatedly goes three and out while chucking the pigskin and burning basically zero clock.

southcliffbison
07-04-2017, 04:19 AM

Also you're an idiot. Any defense will get completely gassed and not have enough time to make adjustments between series if the offense repeatedly goes three and out while chucking the pigskin and burning basically zero clock.

Is this a quote from the Lombardi book ?

NDSU1980
07-04-2017, 04:39 AM

Considering UN_ has never been known to play defense, how would you know any of this???

ZHerd
07-04-2017, 05:18 AM

It's English and someday the dictionary will agree with me, irregardless don't throw so many hail marys then.

Tony Almeida
07-04-2017, 06:01 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=irregardlessDid you read the last sentence?

EC8CH
07-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Did you read the last sentence?

He probably did but posted it irregardlessly.

ZHerd
07-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Let it go, he's an el forko grande fan where they don't see or understand good football and thus don't understand that a great defense tends to get off the field quickly which means that even if your offense is playing like garbage, that the other teams is as well thus keeping the game winnable...earregardles

thebigund
07-04-2017, 03:11 PM
That's why I posted it.

Scooter1
07-04-2017, 03:16 PM
What is withh the hate for Robbie Grimsley...he is a first team MVFC defensive award winner. He must a done something right to earn that honor.

NorthernBison
07-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Let it go, he's an el forko grande fan where they don't see or understand good football and thus don't understand that a great defense tends to get off the field quickly which means that even if your offense is playing like garbage, that the other teams is as well thus keeping the game winnable...earregardles

Bingo. Tunnel vision. A defense could never screw up the offensive game plan. The only solution in every case is to blame the offense and the OC.

Herd
07-04-2017, 05:02 PM
I know 2013 was arguably the best Bison team ever, but I believe it was Dudzik said on the radio in the last couple weeks that there were other defensive groups that had better stats than the 2013 group. I just don't remember which other two groups he said. One was either 2012 or 2014, and I want to say the other was somewhere around 2006, 2007, etc.

Sorry, I can't give 2006-7 the nod on the all-time list due to . . . Schedule. Moving to MVFC took competition level to new heights.

Milkman
07-04-2017, 06:20 PM
For all intensive purposes, I really think we need to be more pacific in our examples of offenses helping out defenses and such. It is mind bottling to see so many people speak in such absolutes. Your not going to get far doing so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bison_by_blood
07-04-2017, 07:58 PM
You no that makes know cents, write?

HerdBot
07-04-2017, 09:45 PM
What is withh the hate for Robbie Grimsley...he is a first team MVFC defensive award winner. He must a done something right to earn that honor.

What hate are you referring to? I just said he needs to become a better tackler and take his game to the next level if our entire secondary is going to improve. I also said he is elite in coverage and a better athlete than Colton Heagle.

ByeSonBusiness
07-04-2017, 10:19 PM
For all intensive purposes, I really think we need to be more pacific in our examples of offenses helping out defenses and such. It is mind bottling to see so many people speak in such absolutes. Your not going to get far doing so.

Intents and purposes....i believe is the saying..

And specific

And mind boggling

Hammerhead
07-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Your going to loose lots of reader's when you write like that. :).

No_Skill
07-04-2017, 11:05 PM

And specific

And mind boggling

https://media.giphy.com/media/u52gRNybAmAy4/giphy.gif

NorthernBison
07-04-2017, 11:45 PM

And specific

And mind boggling

You missed you're.

Oh, and the point too.

G_Funky
07-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Mindset needs to change to be the best ever...bend don't break won't get you there, that's for sure. I don't really care who we're talking about individually. If the philosophy of the defense and the play calls are steered towards allowing yards, just not too many yards, it's going to effect the entire crew.

HerdBot
07-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Mindset needs to change to be the best ever...bend don't break won't get you there, that's for sure. I don't really care who we're talking about individually. If the philosophy of the defense and the play calls are steered towards allowing yards, just not too many yards, it's going to effect the entire crew.

I think one of the key components of the Tampa 2 has been to not give up the big play and then tighten up but last year we really struggled to get off the field on 3rd down early in drives

tony
07-05-2017, 02:43 PM
I created a Google spreadsheet that shows defensive stats by season. Hopefully the link works: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W709xl_f947FKV5PFQEFG_i6_O8x5Rqs6eahL0cU6bs/edit?usp=sharing

Note: I'll be adding more seasons when I get a chance.

stevdock
07-05-2017, 03:19 PM
I created a Google spreadsheet that shows defensive stats by season. Hopefully the link works: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W709xl_f947FKV5PFQEFG_i6_O8x5Rqs6eahL0cU6bs/edit?usp=sharing

Nice work. Based on your spreadsheet you could make the case that 2012 was better than 2013. Not by much but less yardage given up, more turnovers, and just barely more points. I think this backs up what Dudzik was talking about.

thebigund
07-05-2017, 03:54 PM

It would be doubly interesting to have each years offensive stats (scoring, TOP, rushing, passing, TOs) next to the defensive ones.

Bisonator98
07-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Potentially the best ever? Sure but I doubt it.

Professor Chaos
07-05-2017, 06:42 PM

I think one of the key components of the Tampa 2 has been to not give up the big play and then tighten up but last year we really struggled to get off the field on 3rd down early in drives
Yeah, there was no philosophy change last year. It basically boiled down to 3rd down efficiency or lack thereof on defense. Even the back breaking TD that JMU got to make it 27-17 came on a 3rd and 10 play. Hopefully an improved secondary will help get that back to where it was this next year and also keep in mind that the pass rush should be better as well with basically everyone except Ambrosius returning along the D-line.

I think this defense is as talented as it has been since 2013 so the potential is there. Only time will tell whether that translates to production on the field.

ndsubison1
07-05-2017, 08:59 PM

Bryan Shepherd didnt even start on that team.

ndsubison1
07-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Nice work. Based on your spreadsheet you could make the case that 2012 was better than 2013. Not by much but less yardage given up, more turnovers, and just barely more points. I think this backs up what Dudzik was talking about.

Pretty crazy as both those defenses are pretty much the same guys

Professor Chaos
07-05-2017, 09:15 PM
Pretty crazy as both those defenses are pretty much the same guys
Part of that was there was a lot more blowouts in 2013 so the defense relaxed and played more vanilla in 2013 than they did in 2012 which probably led to a few more yards/points. I think in mid-October to early November in 2012 there was something like 4 straight games decided by a TD or less (that were all NDSU wins).

CaBisonFan
07-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Potentially 'one' of the best ever...on paper.

HerdBot
07-06-2017, 01:49 AM
Yeah, there was no philosophy change last year. It basically boiled down to 3rd down efficiency or lack thereof on defense. Even the back breaking TD that JMU got to make it 27-17 came on a 3rd and 10 play. Hopefully an improved secondary will help get that back to where it was this next year and also keep in mind that the pass rush should be better as well with basically everyone except Ambrosius returning along the D-line.

I think this defense is as talented as it has been since 2013 so the potential is there. Only time will tell whether that translates to production on the field.

Exactly. Our corners were playing poorly at times. Pressure was inconsistent without the blitz. QBs killed us when the got out of the pocket. And at times we tackled poorly. Kind of the story of last year. Of course when the offense stunk it up, they even had less time to adjust. Also seemed like teams scripted their first few drives and always got points out of it which means we were being out coached.

On paper this team has the makings of a great defense but at this point we are not even worthy of being in the same breath as 2012-13

Fortunately with DeLuca and Tanguay coming back and a ton of returning starters... This squad has big time potential. But they need to prove it on the field

tony
07-06-2017, 03:39 PM
I've updated the spreadsheet to go back to 2002: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W709xl_f947FKV5PFQEFG_i6_O8x5Rqs6eahL0cU6bs/edit#gid=0

Maybe I should do one where the seasons are random and the year is replaced with a variable and see if I can rank them from best record to worst record. 2002 and 2009 certainly stand out as bad years, but we've certainly been spoiled with very good to great defenses.

Back to the 2017 defense, Kolpack and Izzo pointed it out, but sophomore DT Cole Karcz could be great. I should dig up some of his clips - there's one of him knocking Kuhnert on his ass and another of him doing the same to Tanner Volson... now, the OL has a ways to go, but I don't doubt their one-on-one ability - it's just that there is a lot of work to do to function as a group anytime you have 3 OL graduate.

Oh yeah, and here's the Izzo and Kolpack preview of Karcz: https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/top-5-breakthrough-players-cole-karcz/

KilldeerBison
07-06-2017, 04:40 PM
I've updated the spreadsheet to go back to 2002: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W709xl_f947FKV5PFQEFG_i6_O8x5Rqs6eahL0cU6bs/edit#gid=0

Maybe I should do one where the seasons are random and the year is replaced with a variable and see if I can rank them from best record to worst record. 2002 and 2009 certainly stand out as bad years, but we've certainly been spoiled with very good to great defenses.

Back to the 2017 defense, Kolpack and Izzo pointed it out, but sophomore DT Cole Karcz could be great. I should dig up some of his clips - there's one of him knocking Kuhnert on his ass and another of him doing the same to Tanner Volson... now, the OL has a ways to go, but I don't doubt their one-on-one ability - it's just that there is a lot of work to do to function as a group anytime you have 3 OL graduate.

Oh yeah, and here's the Izzo and Kolpack preview of Karcz: https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/top-5-breakthrough-players-cole-karcz/

IMO, Kuhnert and Volson would rank as upper tier OL in the MV. When I saw Karcz maul these guys, I thought it had more to do with his (Karcz) abilities than their lack of. He looks to have ability to get OL off balance, then burst towards the QB using quickness and strength. I'm looking forward to watching him play this season, think he'll cause some headaches.

Mr Meaty
07-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Boy, that 2009 defense was not good at all. Got run on, scored on and we could be turn them over. Inside the 20 the opposing team scored a TD 76% of the time. No wonder we were 3-8 that year.

Bison 4 Life
07-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Boy, that 2009 defense was not good at all. Got run on, scored on and we could be turn them over. Inside the 20 the opposing team scored a TD 76% of the time. No wonder we were 3-8 that year.

2002 and 2009, both 28ppg, both losing seasons.

tony
07-06-2017, 09:49 PM
2002 and 2009, both 28ppg, both losing seasons.

And losing seasons at NDSU means "historically bad." Even so, those teams had almost all the pieces. I mean, if you look at that 2002 team, it has some of the all-time great Bison on the roster.

G_Funky
07-06-2017, 10:00 PM

The 2009 team should be getting some credit for the recent success at SU...they must have looked at that year and said "yeah, let's do things the exact opposite"

CaBisonFan
07-06-2017, 10:02 PM
What years did Steve Walker play?

ByeSonBusiness
07-06-2017, 10:21 PM
What years did Steve Walker play?

04-07 sounds right

56BISON73
07-06-2017, 11:54 PM

The frustrating thing about 2009 was we were in almost every game we lost.

G_Funky
07-07-2017, 12:43 AM
04-07 sounds right

That's right...his last year was also the last year of the transition.

HerdBot
07-07-2017, 02:27 AM

2009 our stupid D coordinator tried to reinvent the wheel and stopped running the Tampa 2. The next year he left, err, was obviously fired in a respectful way by Bohl. Breske was a good coordinator but not for this Bison defense

Mr Meaty
07-07-2017, 01:35 PM

That is correct, we found ways to lose games instead of finding ways to win games. It was like watching the Vikings play.

stevdock
07-07-2017, 03:18 PM
It's interesting how stats can lie sometimes. Look at YPG between 2009 and 2010. Between those two years the YPG went down .1 so you would expect the scoring defense to be about the same, but yet it went down over 10 PPG.

Also most of us (me especially) think our punter has not been very good since LeCompte graduated, but yet if you look at net punt average, he would be considered our best punter ever.

I know lots of things go into both of those, but found those two stats very interesting.

Bisonator98
07-07-2017, 03:29 PM
It's interesting how stats can lie sometimes. Look at YPG between 2009 and 2010. Between those two years the YPG went down .1 so you would expect the scoring defense to be about the same, but yet it went down over 10 PPG.

Also most of us (me especially) think our punter has not been very good since LeCompte graduated, but yet if you look at net punt average, he would be considered our best punter ever.

I know lots of things go into both of those, but found those two stats very interesting.

That drives me nuts. I don't give a shit if every punt is fair caught 39 yards down field. I want someone who can flip the field with a 60 yarder or drop it inside the 10.

G_Funky
07-07-2017, 05:03 PM
That drives me nuts. I don't give a shit if every punt is fair caught 39 yards down field. I want someone who can flip the field with a 60 yarder or drop it inside the 10.

um, no.

a team starting at approx midfield opposed to their own 25-30 is much better.

makes the game more interesting.

or something like that.

thebigund
07-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Congrats to Nick Deluca for being named 10th best FCS player in the nation by Scouting Insiders. Impressive stuff and well deserved.
https://twitter.com/s_insiders/status/885537157636653056

aces1180
07-13-2017, 07:16 PM
Congrats to Nick Deluca for being named 10th best FCS player in the nation by Scouting Insiders. Impressive stuff and well deserved.

It really is! I look forward to seeing him line-up against Will Ratelle on Sundays!

cme2012
07-13-2017, 09:29 PM

I have 2 more followers than those guys and that's not saying much, if anything.... El oh El

HerdBot
07-14-2017, 03:57 AM

I don't think we allowed a punt return all regular season last year. Yeah they weren't boomed but zero returns has an impact. Where we needed the power is when we were inside the 30, too many ended up fair caught at midfield

I heard that he has really increased his leg strength this off-season so I would expect big things from Koonse

HerdBot
07-14-2017, 04:06 AM

Yep. That team just had the knack for losing just like our recent teams know how to win

Whether it's Mertens fumbling at the 1 vs Iowa State to tie the game and then the defense promptly giving up a TD, or Paul Cornick getting a dumb personal foul on a game winning drive reversing a 30 yard play, or Mertens ending half the game winning potential drives with a pick...

Hammerhead
07-14-2017, 01:17 PM
We were tied for 46th in net punting yards at 36 yards per punt which is almost 6 yards less than the top team and less than 2 yards from the 20th ranked team
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/98

I don't think we allowed a punt return all regular season last year. Yeah they weren't boomed but zero returns has an impact. Where we needed the power is when we were inside the 30, too many ended up fair caught at midfield

I heard that he has really increased his leg strength this off-season so I would expect big things from Koonse

Mr Meaty
07-14-2017, 01:25 PM
It really is! I look forward to seeing him line-up against Will Ratelle on Sundays!

You think Ratelle will still be in the NFL after this season?

mtoutfitter
07-14-2017, 01:34 PM
[/B]

Weren't Ratelle, Reyes and others that they gush about recruit's of Muss and not the vaunted Bubba???

Mr Meaty
07-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Weren't Ratelle, Reyes and others that they gush about recruit's of Muss and not the vaunted Bubba???

Ratt should have been Muss and Reyes should be Bubba.

siouxfan512
07-14-2017, 01:44 PM

Correct, I believe they were both originally Muss recruits. Muss definitely recruited some talent, but could never seem to get talent across the whole team. Also didn't seem to know how to manage the talent once he had it.

Ratelle was a pretty great linebacker considering he was there through some re-building years, and considering his size. I really hope Reyes can make that jump to the next level. Also interested to see if Deion Harris can play up to his potential. He certainly has garnered a lot of off season attention, but if he wants to make the jump and get drafted, he will need to live up to the hype this year.

You guys have been fortunate enough to pump out NFL talent for several years now, but it is really nice to finally get to see our team get some guys into the conversation. It is certainly a process to build up the program, especially when we have to recruit against regional teams like NDSU and SDSU, and there is still plenty of room to grow, but this program now compared to 5 or 6 years ago is night and day.

thebigund
07-14-2017, 03:17 PM
Ratt should have been Muss and Reyes should be Bubba.

Reyes is Muss as well. Harris is from the Muss/Bubba transition class.

aces1180
07-14-2017, 04:45 PM
[/B]

Should have used purple...My comment was tongue in cheek.

56BISON73
07-14-2017, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=Mr Meaty;1213637][/B]

You think Ratelle will still be in the NFL after this season?[/QUOTE

He made a roster?

scottietohottie
07-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Tries to take a jab at big undies and derails the entire thread! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's what I love about bisonville. The Bison fans are almost more fun to troll then the haters.