PDA

View Full Version : Respect from SIU

GoBison127
11-18-2005, 04:31 AM
Just thought I'd pass along this article I found. Great to see that NDSU is getting some respect from a well established program.
http://newshound.de.siu.edu/sports05/stories/storyReader$1392

Big one this weekend

Go Bison!!!

kchats
11-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Great article. I particularily like this quote.

Kill said he played against the Bison during his collegiate career at Southwestern College in Cheney, Kan. He said North Dakota State is the main football school for the state, and it has a great football tradition.

roadwarrior
11-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Coach Kill was also an assistant coach at Pitt State for several years.

But Southwestern College? Never heard of em.

Shakermaker
11-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Man, I hope you guys do well against them.

lucchesicourt
11-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I wish you guys luck (you probably won't need it).. I am glad to see some of the traditional D2 powers that have moved up, have gained some respect from D1AA established teams. All I ever heard from the D1AA teams when UCD moved up was we were still D2 caliber team. Even though we were beating D1AA teams. Maybe, they are starting to learn that the top D2's are more than capable of competing with D1AA teams, just as D1AA teams are also capable of competing with D1A teams. IMO, NDSU will be a power to contend with in D1AA when you are through the transitional period, just as UCD will be a power at the D1AA level when we too are through the transitional period.
Here's looking at the two of us being in the top 5 D1AA's on an anuual basis when all is said and done, just like when we were D2. Same results, different division, right guys? Go gettem this week!!!!

UCD is pretty hurt right now, so I am not sure how we will fair against EWU, but I can assure you, they will NOT have a cakewalk. UCD's defense is good even with all the injuries on the frontline and DB's.

WYOBISONMAN
11-18-2005, 02:44 PM
I would be fantastic to see both UCD and NDSU walk away with good wins this weekend!!

IowaBisonToo
11-18-2005, 02:50 PM
This is my favorite quote from the article! ;D

"We're playing a program that has been established for many many years. They got a lot of money and a lot of tradition," Kill said. "I will tell you over the next 10 years in I-AA football they will be a top-five team in the country."

BisonBacker
11-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Good Luck to all the GWFC teams this weekend. DI is the best!

Bisonguy
11-18-2005, 09:08 PM
This is my favorite quote from the article! ;D

"We're playing a program that has been established for many many years. They got a lot of money and a lot of tradition," Kill said. "I will tell you over the next 10 years in I-AA football they will be a top-five team in the country."

My favorite, as well.
;D

go_bison
11-18-2005, 10:25 PM
Someone should forward this on to McFeely so he can see what good writing is. ;)

BisonWarrior
11-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Someone should forward this on to McFeely so he can see what good writing is. * ;)

Yes, tell him at least we get respect from journalists outside of Fargo. McFeely...we don't expect you to be a homer but a little respect would be nice from our hometown paper!

sambini
11-20-2005, 05:47 AM
I know that SIU doesn't wnat to play us again, they thought we would be a warmup for the playoffs. It was a war and nice effort BISON.

DaveK
11-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Maybe, they are starting to learn that the top D2's are more than capable of competing with D1AA teams,

I wonder when the NDSU(cks) fans will realize that?

BisonBacker
11-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I wonder when the NDSU(cks) fans will realize that?

Sounds like someone didn't wake up on the right side of the bed. But of course when your losing to schools like Mayville and can barely beat valley city thinking about moving up a division is pretty funny. I think the troll from the north should go back to bed.

DaveK
11-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Sounds like someone didn't wake up on the right side of the bed. *But of course when your losing to schools like Mayville and can barely beat valley city thinking about moving up a division is pretty funny. *I think the troll from the north should go back to bed.

We don't play Mayville State or Valley City State in football or hockey. How many times do I have to tell you I'm not interested in bouncey-ball? Why do you suggest I'm from "the north" when I reside in south Fargo? Just because I support UND doesn't mean I live in GF. UND is popular throughout the entire state of ND.

JBB
11-20-2005, 01:03 PM
NDSU played a heck of a game. Big time hitting. Our offense was rollling a couple of times but turnovers hurt us. I had hoped our special teams would break a big play but it was SIU that got them. Other than our warm up with the DII the competition was fierce, above anything we would see in our old division. It is possible for a DII to move up and do well but they will need a different roster, new coaches and a lot more money. Without it forget it unless your going no scholarship. To be competitive week in and week out you might be able to get by with 45-50 full rides.

swaghook
11-20-2005, 01:40 PM
If UND does make the move I'd put money on it that their experience in D-IAA would be the same as UNC's has been(with the exception of being invited into the BSC). With UNC moving they would have the invitation to the GWFC with out a doubt though.

Bison_Dan
11-21-2005, 01:15 PM
We don't play Mayville State or Valley City State in football or hockey. How many times do I have to tell you I'm not interested in bouncey-ball? Why do you suggest I'm from "the north" when I reside in south Fargo? Just because I support UND doesn't mean I live in GF. UND is popular throughout the entire state of ND.

SO?

tony
11-21-2005, 01:31 PM
How about some respect for SIU? They played a very good game and have a great coach. Seems like when NDSU loses, it's all about how crappy the Bison played and not enough about how well the other team executed (of course, maybe that's the attitude NDSU needs, but fans... we can afford to give some props). Anyway, I thought the Salukis were an excellent football team and hope they play well this weekend.

Bison_Dan
11-21-2005, 02:02 PM
How about some respect for SIU? They played a very good game and have a great coach. Seems like when NDSU loses, it's all about how crappy the Bison played and not enough about how well the other team executed (of course, maybe that's the attitude NDSU needs, but fans... we can afford to give some props). Anyway, I thought the Salukis were an excellent football team and hope they play well this weekend.

I agree - I doubt many teams could have come in there and beat them under the same conditions. I'm sure they consider themselves lucky.

gwendel
11-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I agree with Tony and Bison Dan.

Here's a quote from Saluki's QB Joel Samburski that was not widely reported, but that I found in the Daily Egyptian, SIU's campus paper, I think:

Looking at guys you have played with for four or five years and knowing that this could be the last time you step on the field at McAndrew is a sad feeling,‰ Sambursky said. „It‚s hard dealing with that and on top of that having a must-win situation against a hell of a team. All those factors made it really tough. We are really fortunate to get out with a W.‰

Found at:

http://www.dailyegyptian.com/sports05/2005/11/19.html

bisondad
11-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Tony

I think you're right on the money. People ripping this game couldn't have been there. Hard hitting, very physical. We were moving the ball when Walker got hurt. I believe he had a first down, had he hung onto the ball. Seems the ball was around the 30 yard line at that point. Guys played their asses off. Hope Walker gets better. He's a tough customer that goes all out. I was thinking he may have hurt his neck, not his knee initially. He hit the ground head first. Bison represented themselves very well.

Bisondad

bisongold
11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
The Bison are on the national radar now, just as hoped and according to Bohl's, Taylor's, and Chapman's plans. Things are setting up real nicely to be a national power in D-1AA. I actually feel they are ahead of plans.

BisonBacker
11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
I agree with Tony 100%. I watched the game on the webcast and they have a very good team. Nothing to hang our heads about. I hope the Saluki's go far in the playoffs (of course that doesn't include beating Cal-Poly if they were to play). I would be rooting on Poly big time. Hope Cal-Poly does well, I know they will do the GWFC proud. ;D

Gamehunter
11-21-2005, 04:12 PM
The Bison are on the national radar now, just as hoped and according to Bohl's, Taylor's, and Chapman's plans. Things are setting up real nicely to be a national power in D-1AA. I actually feel they are ahead of plans.

This was a rebuilding year. When a rebuilding year becomes a 7-4 or 8-3 this early in the transition, you KNOW the program is doing something right.

JBB
11-21-2005, 05:32 PM
I sure hope my post didnt convey any disrespect to the Salukis, anything but in my mind. for me the most disappointing games were Cal Poly and UCD. We just got beat.

Games we could have had were Montana State and this one. Those two games are right there with last yrs SDSU game. They were within our reach but superior play by the opponents when they needed it provided the difference.

Bisonguy
11-21-2005, 10:22 PM
The Bison are on the national radar now, just as hoped and according to Bohl's, Taylor's, and Chapman's plans. *Things are setting up real nicely to be a national power in D-1AA. *I actually feel they are ahead of plans.

Bohl's plan is a national championship in 2008. He stated that on the Craig Bohl show last night.

kchats
11-22-2005, 03:58 AM
I thought Walker made it to the 15 yard line when he got hurt and he did have the first down.

bisondad
11-22-2005, 02:42 PM
You're probably right on that, Kchats. But, he did fumble and the Salukis took over there. We were moving the ball nicely on that drive. Who knows what happens if he doesn't get hurt on that play.......

TransAmBison
11-23-2005, 02:47 AM
This was a rebuilding year. *When a rebuilding year becomes a 7-4 or 8-3 this early in the transition, you KNOW the program is doing something right.

I don't agree that it was a rebuilding year, but I think this year we had to deal with a lot more injuries than last year. A lot of young players stepped up.

BisBison
11-23-2005, 02:57 AM
I don't agree that it was a rebuilding year, but I think this year we had to deal with a lot more injuries than last year. *A lot of young players stepped up.
And that is where in a couple more years of recruiting D-I talent we will have the depth to weather the injuries. Sure we're at 63 scolies but most of those are fresh/ redshirt fresh or sophs at this point

TransAmBison
11-23-2005, 03:01 AM
Agreed