PDA

View Full Version : IUPUI out of Summit league, who's next in??

bisonfan08
06-28-2017, 02:23 PM
IUPUI is headed to the Horizon league for THIS season, dropping the Summit League to 8 teams which is preferred for travel but with UND joining next year it'll put us back at 9 and looking for a 10th. Any ideas on potential adds? Any chance UMKC gets back in the mix?

ndsubison1
06-28-2017, 03:40 PM
UMKC seems most likely

El_Chapo
06-28-2017, 05:33 PM
NDSU needs off this sinking ship like NOW>

losing 2 crap members to horizon?

HerdBot
06-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Commissioner Tom Douple was on the Insiders today on Bison 1660 and lots of discussion...

Here's the show
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-june-28-2017-full-show

WhoRepsTheLurker
06-28-2017, 06:21 PM
Commissioner Tom Douple was on the Insiders today on Bison 1660 and lots of discussion...

So … people feel better or worse after hearing Douple on the radio?

Bison bison
06-28-2017, 06:22 PM
I like UMKC and UNC.

No problem with NCC move-ups.

HerdBot
06-28-2017, 06:24 PM
So … people feel better or worse after hearing Douple on the radio?

I think Douple is very calm, cool, and collected when everyone else is getting impatient.

Bisonator98
06-28-2017, 06:37 PM
I think Douple is very calm, cool, and collected when everyone else is getting impatient.

Exactly my take as well. Don't jump into a dance with a chick who may be psycho just to dance. Be patient and vet your options carefully.

HerdBot
06-28-2017, 06:40 PM
I like UMKC and UNC.

No problem with NCC move-ups.

UMKC doesn't do baseball but the do softball. Whether or not they do baseball it still makes sense to add them.
Nothern Colorado does pretty much all the sports

When Fort Wayne leaves... I like the idea of going west because those teams seem to be less likely to be poached

New Mexico State does pretty much all the sports
Grand Canyon does pretty much all the sports
Utah Valley does pretty much all the sports

What about Southern Utah? Would they want to come back if they have some closer rivals?

El_Chapo
06-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Douple should be fired on the spot:

A) not even KNOWING that IUPUI might leave?? is he serious?

B) not even ASKING Iupui to stay 1 more year?? I mean, he admitted he didnt even try

C) for adding und #NuffSaid

D) You're Fired.

ps- NDSU needs out of this dumpster fire, losing 2 teams to the crap horizon? wow. The Summit is imploding, the MVC wont allow NDSU into their conference, yet we Subsidize their Football league!

time for NDSU to move , this is embarassing.

Bison bison
06-28-2017, 06:51 PM
I'm okay with NMSU and Grand Canyon as well.

ndsubison1
06-29-2017, 03:09 PM
NMSU would be great. Not a lot of options. Summit should look west with Iupui leaving. Cant be too picky on geography at this point.

HerdBot
06-29-2017, 03:49 PM
NMSU would be great. Not a lot of options. Summit should look west with Iupui leaving. Cant be too picky on geography at this point.

Absolutely. It's basically a race to see which conference collapses first it's either us or The WAC. We both have 8 schools. Fort Wayne is obviously gone some day so that's 7. Omaha if they have success will be a prime target. ORU is on an island. I would go south west and even into Texas to divide the conference into 2 areas

MinotBison
06-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Minot State.

North Side
07-03-2017, 07:53 PM
New Mexico State is the best school in the WAC but has the worst fit for the Summit league geographically. I think UMKC and UND will have to be the 2 additions they are the best geographic foot print. I am not sure what else to do. Summit League has been solid for NDSU and Sioux Falls is a great tournament location. I hate Utah Valley remember the horrible game NDSU had there and afterwards Saul said he would never visit UVU as NDSU's head coach, I agree.

HerdBot
07-03-2017, 08:15 PM
New Mexico State is the best school in the WAC but has the worst fit for the Summit league geographically. I think UMKC and UND will have to be the 2 additions they are the best geographic foot print. I am not sure what else to do. Summit League has been solid for NDSU and Sioux Falls is a great tournament location. I hate Utah Valley remember the horrible game NDSU had there and afterwards Saul said he would never visit UVU as NDSU's head coach, I agree.

Yeah but there are enough schools out there to create a southern division

HerdBoy
07-04-2017, 11:46 PM
Augustana.

wcb_sas
07-05-2017, 04:23 PM
ps- NDSU needs out of this dumpster fire, losing 2 teams to the crap horizon? wow. The Summit is imploding, the MVC wont allow NDSU into their conference, yet we Subsidize their Football league!

time for NDSU to move , this is embarassing.

I would press MVC hard ... maybe even up to a take us or we leave MVC Football.

wcb_sas
07-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Augustana.
What does this add? More TV's more regional coverage? The SF market? No on all accounts.

Why not go after Mankato or St. Cloud? At least they are bigger markets closer the Twin Cities.

Bison bison
07-05-2017, 04:49 PM
The Summit (and MVFC) is not a power conference.

TV sets/markets don't matter.

It's geography and stability. And to some extent mbb rpi.

NDSUstudent
07-06-2017, 02:18 AM
What does this add? More TV's more regional coverage? The SF market? No on all accounts.

Why not go after Mankato or St. Cloud? At least they are bigger markets closer the Twin Cities.

I do agree that Augie makes zero sense for the league. Mankato is really the only non-DI I like, since they've had the stronger basketball program in the NSIC.

El_Chapo
07-06-2017, 01:46 PM
I would press MVC hard ... maybe even up to a take us or we leave MVC Football.

ABSOLUTELY. worse case our Football team can do an affiliate in mountain west mac or sun belt.

Leonardite
07-06-2017, 06:03 PM
I do agree that Augie makes zero sense for the league. Mankato is really the only non-DI I like, since they've had the stronger basketball program in the NSIC.

Augustana won the National Championship in 2016 and beat the Iowa Hawkeyes in 2015. They are unquestionably the class of that league. As for Mankato, they aren't even the strongest Minnesota State in the NSIC.

Mr Meaty
07-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Augustana won the National Championship in 2016 and beat the Iowa Hawkeyes in 2015. They are unquestionably the class of that league. As for Mankato, they aren't even the strongest Minnesota State in the NSIC.

To me neither would be able to compete well enough in the Summit. Do not bring in a bottom feeder just to bring on in. Yes Auggie won the title and are very good but are they DI caliber????

Leonardite
07-06-2017, 08:24 PM
To me neither would be able to compete well enough in the Summit. Do not bring in a bottom feeder just to bring on in. Yes Auggie won the title and are very good but are they DI caliber????

In basketball, without question yes. They would compete for the Summit League title right away. This is the same elitist dismissal NDSU football gets in ignorant FBS circles because of the letters "FCS."

MrAugustana
07-06-2017, 08:45 PM

I know I posted some thoughts/info on this issue a few days ago in a different thread, so I'm trying not to be redundant, but I have a question I'm asking specifically to better understand your perspective. Isn't the issue at hand less a matter of "who makes the most sense" and more a matter of "who is the most realistic possibility at this point in time?"

For example, I recognize that Mankato has a lot of appeal, but Mankato has made absolutely no indication that they're even interested in going D1, and St. Cloud certainly doesn't have the budget for it unless they cut football. At this point, Augie is the only school in that list of three that has an athletic director saying, "Yeah, we're at least talking discussing it and seeing what's possible" (to paraphrase).

I mean, Summit fans could come on here and say Duke and North Carolina would be great additions to the Summit League, but in terms of realistic possibilities, I'd say it's not likely to happen. I feel like that's the situation you're facing right now if your options are Mankato, Augie, and St. Cloud. From my understanding of the D2 landscape, St. Cloud and Mankato are substantially less realistic options as is stands, today, than Augie, even if Augie would come in and be less impressive than you'd like out of the gate.

Like I said, I understand the appeal of a more Twin Cities-focused school being involved, particularly from a financial perspective. I'm just curious about whether or not you think either option is plausible, or if you're just indicating they'd be more ideal than the only option that appears to be plausible in the near future (meaning Augustana).

At the same time, Glen Taylor might call Mankato's athletic director tomorrow and say, "Here's $10 million, get rid of football and jump to the Summit League" and Mankato might be holding a press conference on Monday to announce the big move. I'm just basing these thoughts on what I understand about all three programs in their current status.

wcb_sas
07-06-2017, 08:55 PM
In basketball, without question yes. They would compete for the Summit League title right away. This is the same elitist dismissal NDSU football gets in ignorant FBS circles because of the letters "FCS."

Disagree - Augustana due to endowment is able to support more full scholarships in Bball than most other NSIC teams. So they're able to attract more scholarship players than say Mankato or Moorhead. At D1 they would be required to have full scholarships as would everyone else. No advantage.

Your opinion of Augustana as a dominant basketball program is inflated - Conference record over the last 5 years has Moorhead as #1 with 85 wins 77.3% - with Augustana second at 84 wins 76.4% followed by Mankato with 83 wins 75.5%. Over the 5 years they've only had the best record once in those 5 years. They've been a good steady upper third of the conference but not consistently better than others.

Mankato has a nice facility ... close to the Twin Cities, good football program and D1 hockey. St. Cloud has those same things.

wcb_sas
07-06-2017, 09:03 PM
I know I posted some thoughts/info on this issue a few days ago in a different thread, so I'm trying not to be redundant, but I have a question I'm asking specifically to better understand your perspective. Isn't the issue at hand less a matter of "who makes the most sense" and more a matter of "who is the most realistic possibility at this point in time?"

For example, I recognize that Mankato has a lot of appeal, but Mankato has made absolutely no indication that they're even interested in going D1, and St. Cloud certainly doesn't have the budget for it unless they cut football. At this point, Augie is the only school in that list of three that has an athletic director saying, "Yeah, we're at least talking discussing it and seeing what's possible" (to paraphrase).

I mean, Summit fans could come on here and say Duke and North Carolina would be great additions to the Summit League, but in terms of realistic possibilities, I'd say it's not likely to happen. I feel like that's the situation you're facing right now if your options are Mankato, Augie, and St. Cloud. From my understanding of the D2 landscape, St. Cloud and Mankato are substantially less realistic options as is stands, today, than Augie, even if Augie would come in and be less impressive than you'd like out of the gate.

Like I said, I understand the appeal of a more Twin Cities-focused school being involved, particularly from a financial perspective. I'm just curious about whether or not you think either option is plausible, or if you're just indicating they'd be more ideal than the only option that appears to be plausible in the near future (meaning Augustana).

At the same time, Glen Taylor might call Mankato's athletic director tomorrow and say, "Here's $10 million, get rid of football and jump to the Summit League" and Mankato might be holding a press conference on Monday to announce the big move. I'm just basing these thoughts on what I understand about all three programs in their current status.
I think these lower tier D1 conferences have a lot of different concerns
- travel, is the city easy/hard to get into for conference members?
- attendance, does the region/area/city support the school with decent attendance numbers?
- location to metropolitan areas, I think that is why Omaha was a slam dunk - bigger city more sponsorships, attendance, travel
- does adding the school negatively affect other programs? Does adding a SFalls school help or hurt other Summit teams?
- If Mankato, St. Cloud and UND joined, could the Summit ever consider a hockey conference? Potential revenues ...
- Football is a big driver - both positive and negative
- Makeup of the conference, aside from Oral Roberts - conference is a bunch of public schools - might have an impact.

I think Augustana is an out-of-the-box consideration. Not sure it fits the conferences profile.

MrAugustana
07-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Disagree - Augustana due to endowment is able to support more full scholarships in Bball than most other NSIC teams. So they're able to attract more scholarship players than say Mankato or Moorhead. At D1 they would be required to have full scholarships as would everyone else. No advantage.

Your opinion of Augustana as a dominant basketball program is inflated - Conference record over the last 5 years has Moorhead as #1 with 85 wins 77.3% - with Augustana second at 84 wins 76.4% followed by Mankato with 83 wins 75.5%. Over the 5 years they've only had the best record once in those 5 years. They've been a good steady upper third of the conference but not consistently better than others.

Mankato has a nice facility ... close to the Twin Cities, good football program and D1 hockey. St. Cloud has those same things.

Moorhead is currently at the scholarship max in men's basketball: http://www.inforum.com/sports/4291984-nsic-set-adjust-league-scholarship-limits-match-division-ii-standards

For example, the Dragons have men's basketball, track and cross country and wrestling. The combined Division II limit for all those sports is 31.6 scholarships. Therefore, MSUM could offer 21 equivalencies in all those sports. Those scholarships, however, didn't need to be equally distributed sport-by-sport.

The Dragons offered 10 of those equivalencies in men's basketball, which is the Division II max. They also allocated 5.5 for wrestling and 5.5 in men's track and field and cross country to get to that 21 maximum under current league rules.

So unless I'm misunderstanding your point, I don't think Augie has any certain advantage there. Almost positive Mankato is at the D2 max as well.

MrAugustana
07-06-2017, 09:09 PM
I think these lower tier D1 conferences have a lot of different concerns
- travel, is the city easy/hard to get into for conference members?
- attendance, does the region/area/city support the school with decent attendance numbers?
- location to metropolitan areas, I think that is why Omaha was a slam dunk - bigger city more sponsorships, attendance, travel
- does adding the school negatively affect other programs? Does adding a SFalls school help or hurt other Summit teams?
- If Mankato, St. Cloud and UND joined, could the Summit ever consider a hockey conference? Potential revenues ...
- Football is a big driver - both positive and negative
- Makeup of the conference, aside from Oral Roberts - conference is a bunch of public schools - might have an impact.

I think Augustana is an out-of-the-box consideration. Not sure it fits the conferences profile.

These are all good thoughts, a handful of which I hadn't considered. But unless I missed something, I think it still comes around to one of my main questions: Isn't the issue at hand less a matter of "who makes the most sense" and more a matter of "who is the most realistic possibility at this point in time?" In terms of what the Summit is facing in the event that IPFW jumps ship and the UMKC/NMSU/Grand Canyon options don't pan out, it starts to get perilous for the Summit, unless I'm misunderstanding the situation. If Mankato and St. Cloud aren't even at the "considering the jump to D1" point right now, it seems like the Summit can't rely on either of them moving up anytime soon.

Obviously there are a lot of hypotheticals involved, including whether or not Augie itself is even ready/able to make the jump anytime soon (which is obviously questionable at this point anyway). I'm just not seeing indications from some of the other nearby D2s that they are even considering a jump. But I'm not super plugged into the Minnesota side of this discussion, so maybe you know more right now on that front than I do.

ndsubison1
07-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Northwest Missouri?

wcb_sas
07-07-2017, 03:43 PM
These are all good thoughts, a handful of which I hadn't considered. But unless I missed something, I think it still comes around to one of my main questions: Isn't the issue at hand less a matter of "who makes the most sense" and more a matter of "who is the most realistic possibility at this point in time?" In terms of what the Summit is facing in the event that IPFW jumps ship and the UMKC/NMSU/Grand Canyon options don't pan out, it starts to get perilous for the Summit, unless I'm misunderstanding the situation. If Mankato and St. Cloud aren't even at the "considering the jump to D1" point right now, it seems like the Summit can't rely on either of them moving up anytime soon.

Obviously there are a lot of hypotheticals involved, including whether or not Augie itself is even ready/able to make the jump anytime soon (which is obviously questionable at this point anyway). I'm just not seeing indications from some of the other nearby D2s that they are even considering a jump. But I'm not super plugged into the Minnesota side of this discussion, so maybe you know more right now on that front than I do.
I think if you do this "who is the most realistic possibility at this point in time?" without considering this "who makes the most sense?" you get into trouble.

I agree if Mankato and St. Cloud are not ready to consider moving up ... then you move on ... but if they are ready, or if Glen Taylor writes a $10M check or if one or both are willing to cut football - the narrative can change quickly.

I do not like Grand Valley or NMSU options - almost feels like Boise State joining the Big East - a forced venture.

Frankly I would still like NDSU and possibly SDSU pursuing the MVC - just because the MVC said no doesn't mean its over - kind like how I got my wife to marry me - wear her down till she gets tired of saying no!

What about looking to join the MWC or possibly the Horizon?

Herd
07-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Northwest Missouri?

Some towns are simply not DI caliber towns. NOrthwest Missouri state, as well as most of the MIAA are those types of non DI towns. If don't see business and money around town, forget it.

tjbison
07-08-2017, 01:11 AM
Some towns are simply not DI caliber towns. NOrthwest Missouri state, as well as most of the MIAA are those types of non DI towns. If don't see business and money around town, forget it.

what makes the below DI towns

Macomb, IL
Vermillion, SD
Brookings, SD
Cedar Falls, IA

Hell lets got to Manhattan KS and Stillwater OK there isn't shit there but a University

ndsubison1
07-08-2017, 02:52 AM

Macomb, IL
Vermillion, SD
Brookings, SD
Cedar Falls, IA

Hell lets got to Manhattan KS and Stillwater OK there isn't shit there but a University

Cheney WA. Yes close to Spokane, but Maryville is close to St Joseph. Morehead, KY is 6K. Jacksonville, AL is same size as Maryville

natstar1
07-08-2017, 03:33 AM
How far is UMary behind St. Cloud, Mankato, Augustana?

ndsubison1
07-08-2017, 04:08 AM

Pretty distant I would say

tjbison
07-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Not close to DI, neither Dakota could support another viable DI, not enough in state talent in each, also people think Fargo is in the middle of nowhere, Bismarck actually is.

Herd
07-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Macomb, IL
Vermillion, SD
Brookings, SD
Cedar Falls, IA

For Brookings, Vermillion and Cedar Falls, you have proximity to major metropolitan areas within an hour. Maryville, you got nothing. Stillwater and Manhattan have proximity also. Macomb, not a DI town at all. Brookings is close enough to SF to make it work.

HerdBot
07-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Not close to DI, neither Dakota could support another viable DI, not enough in state talent in each, also people think Fargo is in the middle of nowhere, Bismarck actually is.

If you draw a 100 mile radius around fargo
The estimated population in the defined area is 628,620

If you draw a 100 mile radius around Bismark
The estimated population in the defined area is 232,361

https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

tjbison
07-08-2017, 06:25 PM

That can't be right

JSUBison
07-08-2017, 06:53 PM
University of Winnipeg and University of Manitoba. I bet the NCAA would sign off on it, all that's left to do is convince the Canadians. They're in the footprint, large market, plus they are same city travel partners. Get up there Douple you hoser, and get it done.

jrd
07-08-2017, 09:41 PM

And if you draw a 100 mile radius around Vermillion the estimated population in the defied area is 935,030, and think of all the shit we give them.

Hammersmith
07-08-2017, 09:43 PM
That can't be right

Don't think it is. 3 out of 4 comments from the page talk about how inaccurate the tool is.

jrd
07-08-2017, 09:54 PM
The first time I ran a 100 mile radius of Brookings I came up with 348,000. I reset the map and the came up with 664,757, that's more like it. #FargoisBrookingslittlebrother

IndyBison
07-08-2017, 09:56 PM
Rumor has it IUPUI will no longer be a branch for Purdue. Not sure if it will become IUI or something like that. It can't become Indianapolis like Fort Wayne did because there is already a University of Indianapolis (UIndy).

HerdBot
07-11-2017, 07:05 PM
That can't be right

I'm pretty sure it is. 100 mile radius goes north of grand forks, west of Jamestown, past Thief River Falls, right up to Bemidji, past Alexandria, and north east corner of South Dakota. Covers a huge part of the lakes area

The FM Metro is approaching a quarter million.
Grand forks metro is about a 100K
Otter tail county is 60K
Becker country is about 35K
Richland country is about 20K (wahpeton)
Stutsman county is 20K (jamestown)
Barnes is about 10K (valley city)
Douglas county is 35K (alexandria)

That's what 525K and I and i left out a ton of others

HerdBot
07-11-2017, 07:15 PM
And if you draw a 100 mile radius around Vermillion the estimated population in the defied area is 935,030, and think of all the shit we give them.

Well in all fairness Vermillion or Brookings isn't the center of the population. That would be like claiming Waite Park Minnesota has 4 million. Sioux Falls within 100 miles has 873,572 and a decent chunk has Sioux Falls as the largest major city

jrd
07-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Well in all fairness Vermillion or Brookings isn't the center of the population. That would be like claiming Waite Park Minnesota has 4 million. Sioux Falls within 100 miles has 873,572 and a decent chunk has Sioux Falls as the largest major city

And if you draw a 100 mile radius around Laramie the population is 1,066,661. Funny how all the places Bisonville likes to rag on are all more densely populated than Fargo.

HerdBot
07-12-2017, 01:09 AM
And if you draw a 100 mile radius around Laramie the population is 1,066,661. Funny how all the places Bisonville likes to rag on are all more densely populated than Fargo.

100 miles is almost an hour and a half drive so 50 miles or less would be a better gauge. An hour + drive or longer is not dense. Only you are.

Fargo Moorhead is the center of the population

50 mile radius

Fargo 252,672

Laramie 134,654 (includes Fort Collins and Boulder hour drive and 2 hour drive. If you've ever been there it's one of the toughest places ever to get to)

Brookings 157,070 (hour drive to Sioux Falls which is most of the population)

Vermilion - 301,025 (hour drive to Sioux Falls)

Sorry bro but when you need to drive an hour to get something to eat other than Taco Johns or Applebees, good medical care, concerts, bars, shopping and entertainment, your quality of life kind of sucks. Of course Fargo Moorhead has more of that stuff than all 3 little towns combined. Heck Grand Forks is a better place

jrd
07-12-2017, 04:05 AM
100 miles is almost an hour and a half drive so 50 miles or less would be a better gauge. An hour + drive or longer is not dense. Only you are.

I'm not the one who originally used the 100 mile radius as the parameter you are.

#Fargoisaremoteoutpost

scottietohottie
07-12-2017, 10:48 AM

You must be talking about all the people that live in between Laramie and Casper. Draw a 100 mile radius around Fargo in the summer and you'll be counting lakes country just like you're counting all the Rocky mountain high clowns south of you. Draw a twenty mile radius around Laramie in the middle of the summer and you might have 1,066,661 tumble weeds.

jrd
07-12-2017, 01:41 PM
Highest point outside of Laramie is Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Range, a part of the Medicine Bow Mountains, about 35 miles west of Laramie, Wyoming. It lies within Medicine Bow National Forest and is the highest point in southern Wyoming. The summit lies in extreme western Albany County, but the mountain's lower reaches stretch westward into eastern Carbon County. The summit is more than 12,013 feet (3,661 m) high and is visible from Snowy Range Pass, elevation 10,847 ft (3,300 m), on Wyoming Highway 130, a Wyoming Scenic Byway. The most commonly used trail to the peak is a four-mile hike featuring switch-backs and a great deal of loose rock. The trails to the peak are usually open from early June to mid October.

Highest point outside of Fargo is what maybe a pile of sugar beets.

GRAFTONBISON
07-12-2017, 01:44 PM

Fargo Moorhead is the center of the population

50 mile radius

Fargo 252,672

Laramie 134,654 (includes Fort Collins and Boulder hour drive and 2 hour drive. If you've ever been there it's one of the toughest places ever to get to)

Brookings 157,070 (hour drive to Sioux Falls which is most of the population)

Vermilion - 301,025 (hour drive to Sioux Falls)

Sorry bro but when you need to drive an hour to get something to eat other than Taco Johns or Applebees, good medical care, concerts, bars, shopping and entertainment, your quality of life kind of sucks. Of course Fargo Moorhead has more of that stuff than all 3 little towns combined. Heck Grand Forks is a better place

Hmmm, can't imagine where the Imperial Cass mentality that some people have comes from?

DePereBisonFan
07-12-2017, 02:10 PM
Are there any good additions? Or is the writing on the wall about the end of the Summit?

Mr Meaty
07-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Are there any good additions? Or is the writing on the wall about the end of the Summit?

I personally think it looks pretty dark. I hate to think that way.

tjbison
07-12-2017, 03:00 PM
I personally think it looks pretty dark. I hate to think that way.

yep, really isnt anyone good out there beating the door down to join, fact is NDSU needs to be beating down doors selling themselves, and yes I know its not easy

scottietohottie
07-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Highest point outside of Laramie is Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Range, a part of the Medicine Bow Mountains, about 35 miles west of Laramie, Wyoming. It lies within Medicine Bow National Forest and is the highest point in southern Wyoming. The summit lies in extreme western Albany County, but the mountain's lower reaches stretch westward into eastern Carbon County. The summit is more than 12,013 feet (3,661 m) high and is visible from Snowy Range Pass, elevation 10,847 ft (3,300 m), on Wyoming Highway 130, a Wyoming Scenic Byway. The most commonly used trail to the peak is a four-mile hike featuring switch-backs and a great deal of loose rock. The trails to the peak are usually open from early June to mid October.

Highest point outside of Fargo is what maybe a pile of sugar beets.

I bet you have enough facts and fun stuff to do in Laramie to take up an entire car ride from the Denver airport to Laramie and back to the Denver airport again. I also bet I heard the same pile of crap from the wyotech recruiter. Fact is there isn't much to do in actual Laramie and college kids can't afford to go 35 miles every time they do want to do something.

Do you know about the short cut from Laramie to the Denver airport? It's north of fort Collins you can skip both Cheyenne and fort Collins a little gravel road never stopped this North Dakota kid.

scottietohottie
07-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Back in the days of the wild west they needed a place to put a federal prison. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I wonder where that was?

runtheoption
07-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Back in the days of the wild west they needed a place to put a federal prison. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I wonder where that was?

The Summit League headquarters?

tjbison
07-12-2017, 05:28 PM
how the hell did this become a Laramie vs Fargo thing??

but the fact still stands when we were talking Umary in Bismarck, they are out there in the middle of nowhere and thats why DI for them isnt happening at least anytime soon

now last fall I drove thru Laramie, its pretty close to Williston in look and feel, so thats something

jrd
07-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Chill out dudes it's summer time and I've got nothing better to do so I've been trolling you. I've been to Fargo, although its been over 20 years, it's a nice city. Question is Hooters still open? If it is that is one thing you have over SD, the only state in the nation that can't support a Hooters restaurant. There still is a whole lot of nothing on I 29 between Watertown and Fargo so I still say Fargo is still kind of a remote outpost. Question with your French-Canadian accent when you say outpost does out kind of sound like ooit?

runtheoption
07-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Question with your French-Canadian accent when you say outpost does out kind of sound like ooit? When I say outpost, it sounds like "Alerus Center."

ndsubison1
07-12-2017, 06:38 PM
UMKC is probably best option. However, we will probably need a baseball school as well at some point.

Bisonator98
07-12-2017, 06:42 PM
UMKC is probably best option. However, we will probably need a baseball school as well at some point.

I'm still hoping the Summit targets NMSU. Wonder if UNC would be interested in moving their baseball to the Summit?

tjbison
07-13-2017, 01:41 AM

Yes, I'm sure it will be an affiliate but we need full members, the commish made it sound like they will settle for affiliates that to me isn't a good strategy

HerdBot
07-13-2017, 01:51 AM
I'm not the one who originally used the 100 mile radius as the parameter you are.

#Fargoisaremoteoutpost

I was just responding to someone who said "some people think Fargo is in the middle of nowhere."

It's off-season just giving you some shit