PDA

View Full Version : World Team Trials

Big Bird
06-09-2017, 02:42 AM
The Freestyle World team trials will get underway this weekend in Lincoln and NDSU will be well represented. Hayden Zillmer and Kallen Kleinschmidt will both be in the 97kg division. Kallen will likely be the higher seed of the two, since he has more high level FS experience and has more quality wins, but Hayden can compete with all of these guys, minus the reigning Olympic, World, and NCAA champion Kyle Snyder

Paul Bianchi and Brandon Metz will try for a spot on the Junior world team as well. Both have a very tough road, as Daton Fix stands in Paul's way and the 2 x Cadet World Champion Gable Steveson is in Metz' way. Bianchi wrestled incredibly well to take runner up to Fix and qualify for this. He beat a number of huge blue chip recruits and I'm hoping he makes the finals and gets another shot at Fix.

larson311
06-09-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm logged in and waiting for 9am, should be a fun day!

RadioBison
06-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Hayden just picked up a nice win over former NCAA champ Dusty Kilgore.

Christopher Moen
06-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Zillmer is now a National Team Member is both Greco-Roman and Freestyle.

Very rare accomplishment!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RadioBison
06-10-2017, 07:45 PM
Awesome! I was thinking he had to beat the next Burak to make the team.

Christopher Moen
06-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Awesome! I was thinking he had to beat the next Burak to make the team.

Dang it, you're right. He has Micah next for True Second.

RadioBison
06-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Dang it, you're right. He has Micah next for True Second.

It's pretty impressive how he's taking on pretty much the whole field today. I never knew you could run into 7 out of the 9 other guys.

Christopher Moen
06-10-2017, 08:11 PM
It's pretty impressive how he's taking on pretty much the whole field today. I never knew you could run into 7 out of the 9 other guys.

Got'er Done!!!

Big Bird
06-10-2017, 08:12 PM
What a tournament for Hayden!

RadioBison
06-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Got'er Done!!!

Sweet!!!!!

Christopher Moen
06-10-2017, 11:57 PM
Excellent crowd tonight!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170610/0b8c35a7c6a316405eb2cacdbfcba450.jpg

Christopher Moen
06-11-2017, 03:56 AM
What an event, can't wait for the next big show........Fargo!

RadioBison
06-11-2017, 03:19 PM
What an event, can't wait for the next big show........Fargo!

It was a solid event from start to finish, but the finals were really something. I guess we should have a pretty strong team. Dake started his day by beating IMar, Dieringer, and Burroughs, and it still wasn't good enough. And then there was J'den Cox outscoring David Taylor with only one leg. Did Taylor have some legitimate gripe at the end, or was he just acting out in frustration?

Christopher Moen
06-11-2017, 05:16 PM
It was a solid event from start to finish, but the finals were really something. I guess we should have a pretty strong team. Dake started his day by beating IMar, Dieringer, and Burroughs, and it still wasn't good enough. And then there was J'den Cox outscoring David Taylor with only one leg. Did Taylor have some legitimate gripe at the end, or was he just acting out in frustration?

With a minute left in the match against Cox, I turned to the Jury and asked why wasn't the Mat Official being more aggressive on calling a passivity on J'Den. I didn't get an answer, but it was strange to watch as the Mat Official is pretty darn good (one of the World's best actually).

With that said, Taylor beat himself after Cox's injury, which looked disgusting and why I hid it on the big boards while Flo replayed it on their webcast. He was able to tie it up right after the injury, but got out-maneuvered twice by a guy wrestling with one leg. Part of the problem I saw was that he attacked the bad leg instead of the good leg. Always attack the good leg of a wrestler with a leg injury because if you take away the good leg, the injured wrestler cannot defend his position as well.

Hopefully, J'Den's knee is only a sprain.

Christopher Moen
06-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Pretty good story on Zillmer: http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2017/June/16/Zillmer-enjoyed-the-ride-to-making-2017-Greco-Roman-and-freestyle-National-Teams

Big Bird
07-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Great news, Gabe Dean appears to be going the Greco route. Should be at 85 kilos (or whatever the newest weight below Hayden is going to be).

Dean is great, but he was never going to factor into the freestyle discussion. Getting someone with his accolades and skill to go Greco is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/58252-gabe-dean-going-greco#.WVe-kYgrLIU