PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Bison, who will start?

BISON_PRIDE
11-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Whats your best guess on starters on Offense and Defense for next year? I hope Walker is healthy and playing behind a really good line. Lots of young talent around, who's gonna surprize and get major playing time. Also what's the word on the two freshman OL that were ruled prop 48 (or whatever) this year? How many signings do you think we'll have?

coloradobison
11-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Here are my thoughts....most of the OL being open to be won.

DE - Lardonois / JUCO
DT- Frick
NG - Jackson / JUCO
DE - Fowler / JUCO
LB - Maresh
LB - Humber
LB - Mays
CB - Earl
CB - Agbetola
SS - Dahl
FS - Schommer

QB - Walker / Mertens (depends on health)
RB-Steffes
FB - Jangula/Roehl
WR- White
WR- Heckendorf
TE - Wurzbacher / JUCO
OT- Open
OG- Open
C- Harrington
OG- Buckwalter
OT- Open

swaghook
11-20-2005, 04:27 PM
RB-Walker

Don't you mean Steffes?

Bisonguy
11-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Isn't Wurzbacher the long snapper? I don't see him playing at TE if that's the case.

coloradobison
11-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Don't you mean Steffes?

Yes i meant steffes

coloradobison
11-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Isn't Wurzbacher the long snapper? I don't see him playing at TE if that's the case.
i dont see any way they can keep wurzbacher at long snapper, and have him starting at TE, he is too talented of a reciever to waste it only being the long snapper.

Bisonguy
11-20-2005, 04:42 PM
i dont see any way they can keep wurzbacher at long snapper, and have him starting at TE, he is too talented of a reciever to waste it only being the long snapper.

Like Drago punting?

coloradobison
11-20-2005, 04:43 PM
51 Paul, Spencer LS 6-2 253 Fr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Southwest HS)
50 Curtis, Jeff LS 6-2 216 Fr. New Hope, Minn. (Robbinsdale Cooper HS)

From gobison.com hopefulyl one of these guys will take over full time.

coloradobison
11-20-2005, 04:44 PM
i think drago has become too good a punter to change that now. i dont know his reciever skills before he moved, so i cant really comment on it.

kchats
11-20-2005, 04:45 PM
As the Bison found out yesterday special teams are a very important part of the game. They lost that game on special teams a muffed punt and a bad snap to the punter. Having a great long snapper is not a waste of time for a team. It is a very tough thing to do and when you have somebody that can do it well you have him do it. Coach Bohl said the wind affected that poor snap yesterday.

coloradobison
11-20-2005, 04:55 PM
As the Bison found out yesterday special teams are a very important part of the game. *They lost that game on special teams a muffed punt and a bad snap to the punter. *Having a great long snapper is not a waste of time for a team. *It is a very tough thing to do and when you have somebody that can do it well you have him do it. *Coach Bohl said the wind affected that poor snap yesterday.
I agree, and i dont think any of us know the status of the two LS's listed on the roster, but i just cant see wasting Wurzbacher's talent as a receiving TE to keep him as long snapper. Maybe spring practice will provide more insight.

Gamehunter
11-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I agree, and i dont think any of us know the status of the two LS's listed on the roster, but i just cant see wasting Wurzbacher's talent as a receiving TE to keep him as long snapper. Maybe spring practice will provide more insight.

why can't he do both?

IE Travis Lulay is also the punter for Montana State.

Bisonguy
11-20-2005, 07:38 PM
why can't he do both?

IE Travis Lulay is also the punter for Montana State.

Bohl seems to like having special teams positions concentrate on just that.

I saw Drago at WR in practice a few times before he was solidified as the punter, and he had hands just as good as anyone else on the team, and could easily bring in passes that most of the others would have trouble with. Imagine the matchup problems with opposing teams if NDSU had a 6'6" WR.

Anyhow, Bohl stated earlier that they had Wurzbacher practicing full time at long-snapping, so that makes me think they won't utilize him at TE. Maybe they'll move him back, but it seems like a lot of time and effort to waste on one season.

JBB
11-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Well, somebody had to be the long snapper. It seems to me that with two guys recruited for that position a change is in the future. Maybe not next yr, but who knows?

NDSU_grad
11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
OL
Safe, Tadisch, Harrington, Buckwalter, Anderson

WR
Heckendorf, White

RB
Steffes

FB
Roehl

QB
Walker

TE
Jangula? too much talent to use as a 2nd string FB, I have no idea if he can play the position but I'd like to see the idea entertained.

D-line
Frick, Lardinois, juco, juco

LB's
Maresh, Mays, Humber

CB's
Bowman, Agbeotla

SS
Dahl

FS
Schommer

Gully
11-21-2005, 12:41 PM
I think Jangula can play tight end. He probably won't be as polished as AJ right away but he has shown decent hands, has good size, and is a very good blocker.

I don't know much about any other tight ends they have but this would seem to be a promising move for them.

Gully
11-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I think the biggest thing is that they need some explosiveness at wide receiver. We'll have a good stable of wideouts returning but we need to bring in that one burner that catches the other teams attention.

I feel good about our secondary. We've seen what the safeties can do and the corners, though young, are probably more talented than the two we had this year, they're just a little green.

D line is again an immediate need, hopefully they'll find a couple transfers again.

Gamehunter
11-21-2005, 07:15 PM
DE - Lardonois
DT- Frick
NG - Jackson / JUCO
DE - Fowler / JUCO
LB - Maresh
LB - Humber
LB - Mays
CB - Earl
CB - Agbetola
SS - Dahl
FS - Schommer

I really hope they can get some depth at DL so we can benefit from a rotation. CB would be another concern for depth, but really, that's about it for defense. This year's defense was incredible to watch with the exception of Cal Poly, I can't wait to see what next year fields.

QB - Mertens/ Walker (Brecke possible strong 2nd string)

Steve may have to take a medial redshirt next year as awefull as that sounds. Steve is definately the guy if he is fully recovered by next season, but Mertens should be able to get the job done if needed.

RB-Steffes/Chapman

I think we will see more of a rotation next season as going with the single back didn't quite pan out as well as some thought it would.

FB - Roehl

Maybe Jangula as a backup, but I think he will be moved.

WR- White

Providing nothing changes and he choses to come back for his senior year. Does a torn ACL have any permanent effects on a reciever? White should help out the running game about as much as the passing.

WR- Heckendorf

Heckendorf complements White nicely. A year's experience under his belt will help out even more.

TE - Jangula

I think Jangula could make a good TE. He has great hands, and appears very capable of blocking effectively. Anyway it goes, the coaches need to find a place for him on the offense.

OT- GERRY EBEL/Anderson
OG- Tadish
C- Harrington
OG- Buckwalter
OT- Ryan Schuttloffel

I want to throw Sam Lanudner in there somewhere. He needs to add a few points, but some time in the weightroom can get that accomplished. He turned down a fullride at Wyoming to come play for NDSU, I think he is a very good athlete.

bisonmike
11-21-2005, 08:34 PM
I really think our offensive skill positions are loaded with the weakest of those being the reciever. Yeah we don't have a burner there but we will get White back and Heckendorf emerged as a guy who can get open and he has reliable hands. If Shamen can work on his hands we have a very dangerous weapon that will create match up problems for almost anyone. We lose some on the o-line but we usually don't have a problem loading the line back up with hogmollies year after year. On defense, our line is my only concern. We really need depth there. I think we have an outstanding corp of linebackers and our safeties are very solid. I know that we recruited some athletes at the corner position, it's just a matter of getting them some quality game time. If recruiting goes well I really feel that we can be a legitimate top 10 program.

bisongold
11-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Why couldn't Jangula play Defensive end? Also, why do you think that Roehl will play FB before Jangula? I thought Jangula was awesome.

Gamehunter
11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Why couldn't Jangula play Defensive end? Also, why do you think that Roehl will play FB before Jangula? I thought Jangula was awesome.

Good point. Jangula IS good enough to win the starting spot outright. I was very impressed with his ability to catch almost every pass thrown to him.

WYOBISONMAN
11-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Good point. *Jangula IS good enough to win the starting spot outright. *I was very impressed with his ability to catch almost every pass thrown to him.

Jangula is very good. I hope he starts.

coloradobison
11-21-2005, 10:33 PM
We also need a deep threat receiver to take over for Marques. if you have no threat deep the safeties can creep up like no one's business. maybe we have this deep threat already, maybe we need to get it, all i know is it never hurts to have plenty of guys with speed to spare.

kchats
11-22-2005, 04:08 AM
I think Parsons will be in the mix as starting QB if Walker isn't back from his injury. I also think the Bison can use two fullbacks as well as two tailbacks. Maybe if they can work on Shamen's hands they can turn him into a wide receiver and get him on the field as the third wide receiver more. Dante Hall was a running back when drafted but due to small size they changed him into a wide receiver and his career has blossomed since then. I think some of the freshman wide receivers that played this year have good speed as well.

scottheck
11-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Upon seeing this topic, the first thing I thought of was moving Jangula to TE once Roehl is healthy since we lose AJ and Andy.

Big_BisonFan
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I think Roehl is the starting FB. He is a frickin' cannon ball. No offense to Jangula, but he might have to play second fiddle at FB and contend for a TE/HB spot that Delabarre played this year.

mikelsch
11-30-2005, 04:27 PM
Roehl also had reps at RB before he got injured...probably why no RBs were in last year's recruiting class.