PDA

View Full Version : potential 2018 FBS opponents

Professorbum
04-01-2017, 08:35 PM
Izzo's piece regarding the increasingly unlikely prospect of an FBS opponent in 2018 is linked below. Dang it, they need to get this done.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4243765-izzo-few-2018-fbs-scheduling-options-remain-bison-football-program

ndsubison1
04-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Florida please. Just searched that they have Idaho scheduled so cross them off

tjbison
04-02-2017, 12:06 AM
UNLV would rock

North Side
04-02-2017, 12:35 AM
UNLV would rock

Agreed UNLV would a great game. Bison might go into the game favorites and huge bison turn out with the cheap Vegas flights.

ZHerd
04-02-2017, 12:50 AM
I'd take any team on that list (preferably a competitive team which rules out UNLV...EW is a better opponent). That said, I'll be surprised if it happens. We wont be playing any "high major" until 2020

El_Chapo
04-02-2017, 12:56 AM
if we WON'T GO FBS at least schedule 2 a year make money and we will win most of them

stony brook AD!!

Tony Almeida
04-02-2017, 01:37 AM
I like UNLV...never cross off Vegas. TCU would be great too...Dallas area twice in the same season.

GOBISON123
04-02-2017, 11:27 PM
I like UNLV...never cross off Vegas. TCU would be great too...Dallas area twice in the same season.

Based on how Jacks played TCU last year it is highly unlikely that they will answer any phone call from 701 area code

scottietohottie
04-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Based on how Jacks played TCU last year it is highly unlikely that they will answer any phone call from 701 area code

Did sdsu call them from a North Dakota phone to schedule their game? Or is 605 and 701 just so close you know it's got to be sd and nd. Your inside information is mind blowing.

tjbison
04-03-2017, 12:34 AM

and I highly doubt the Jacks woul dhave any influence on who will or will not play us

our reputation for taking down the "big boys" is the problem..period

scottietohottie
04-03-2017, 12:38 AM
Matt Larsen please dial *69 before calling tcu.

Dam caller ID has sure taken the fun out of prank calling people.

totoinfl
04-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Come on down and play in Orlando...Central Florida would be a good test...get a little sunshine, a little humidity and a whole lot of cheap flights...Did I mention have beaches and beer!!!!!

tjbison
04-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Come on down and play in Orlando...Central Florida would be a good test...get a little sunshine, a little humidity and a whole lot of cheap flights...Did I mention have beaches and beer!!!!!

would seriously rather go to Vegas, Florida is a Feb Destination...but if we have to i guess its ok..

SDbison
04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Oklahoma State. Beat another Big 12 team and maybe they might find room for NDSU ( I know, wishful thinking).

Bison_Pyro
04-03-2017, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't mind Middle Tennessee State, mostly because I love Nashville. Very doubtful this would happen.

BattleBorn
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't mind Middle Tennessee State, mostly because I love Nashville. Very doubtful this would happen.

Not a bad drive for me either, but I'd go the extra 3 hours for Georgia Tech, and the Clermont.

MNoodles
04-03-2017, 10:25 PM
I've got family in Murfreesboro so that would be a definite road trip for me if it were to happen.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

AKBison
04-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Guys, this is simple. Work out a deal with UNLV that either makes this our home game or neutral sight. We get 10,000 tickets and keep all profits from that. UNLV gets concessions, parking, and the other 20k tickets, and a 7th game in their home stadium. They don't average 30k anyways so it would practically cost them nothing.

10,000 X $70 a ticket = 700k. Minus traveling expenses we net 500k, get a winnable game vs an FBS and get to do so in Vegas. Outside of The cities, Iowa, and Frisco, if there is one place 10,000 Bison will show up for a game it's Vegas.

MNLonghorn10
04-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Anything below P5 would be a disappointment. CSU in 2012 was a shit show but most of it was the uniqueness of Fort Collins. Not many G5 towns can live up to that city.

Now now dont jump on me saying "WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO FBS THEN IF EVERY GAME WOULD BE IN THE G5 TOWNS?! DURRR". Our schedule this year is terrifying. Next years is terrifying but could be salvaged vs a P5 school.

Having a schedule full of G5 teams is different if your OOC schedule sucks like NDSUs does this year.

DakotaOkie
04-04-2017, 12:52 AM
X2 OK State would be a great game that is almost in my backyard. My next choice would be Arkansas (their OOC schedule is full until 2020 but one can hope).
The only way NDSU gets into the Big 12 is when Oklahoma, Texas, and OK State have departed for the new Bigger 12 conference.
Oklahoma State. Beat another Big 12 team and maybe they might find room for NDSU ( I know, wishful thinking).

gumby013
04-04-2017, 12:31 PM
X2 OK State would be a great game that is almost in my backyard. My next choice would be Arkansas (their OOC schedule is full until 2020 but one can hope).
The only way NDSU gets into the Big 12 is when Oklahoma, Texas, and OK State have departed for the new Bigger 12 conference.

Having been to several Arkansas games, I would heartily endorse that matchup. It's a great area, and Fayetteville is an excellent college town.

(I could also write off the entire trip by doing a meeting with Walmart while I was there.)

NDSU92
04-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Having been to several Arkansas games, I would heartily endorse that matchup. It's a great area, and Fayetteville is an excellent college town.

(I could also write off the entire trip by doing a meeting with Walmart while I was there.)

IIRC, JJ said on Bison 1660 that Arkansas hangs up on him when he calls.

wagsabison
04-04-2017, 01:52 PM
IIRC, JJ said on Bison 1660 that Arkansas hangs up on him when he calls.

It's a pretty good compliment when other schools don't want to take your phone calls. Kind of funny when the "big" schools don't want to schedule us.

ZHerd
04-04-2017, 02:35 PM

This would be good. If we are going to play an FBS game, then good grief at least play a real team that is a challenge and something for Bison players to get up for. Giant slaying is far more fun imo than a lame opponent with nice road trip activities.

BisManBison
04-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Just got back from a weekend trip to Nashville. I say we give Vanderbilt a call!

MNLonghorn10
04-04-2017, 08:27 PM

Yea I'm not going if those drunk rednecks are strapped after ndsu wins by 10

CalBison97
04-05-2017, 01:02 PM
This would be good. If we are going to play an FBS game, then good grief at least play a real team that is a challenge and something for Bison players to get up for. Giant slaying is far more fun imo than a lame opponent with nice road trip activities.

After seeing what we've done to the likes of K-state and Iowa why would any FBS Giant want to play us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
04-05-2017, 01:15 PM
Matt Larsen please dial *69 before calling tcu.

Dam caller ID has sure taken the fun out of prank calling people.

I think you mean *67 actually :)

BadlandsBison
04-05-2017, 02:22 PM
The University of Alaska has a completely open schedule. I heard you can go fishing there.

Bisonator98
04-05-2017, 07:04 PM
The University of Alaska has a completely open schedule. I heard you can go fishing there.

A September game combined with a moose hunt would be awesome! :biggrin:

1993bison
04-06-2017, 02:23 AM
After seeing what we've done to the likes of K-state and Iowa why would any FBS Giant want to play us?

Cause their fans want to see how to tailgate like a Champion?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bruinbison
07-19-2017, 07:52 PM
Well, this might help, maybe, maybe not - will anyone answer the phone???
If not in 2018, as perhaps Big 10 team schedules are already completed, at least it allows for the future.
Do the RTB people have enough confidence in their team to reschedule the Bison??? :)

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4299992-ndsu-athletic-director-says-big-ten-modifying-fcs-scheduling-philosophy?amp

NDSU athletic director says Big Ten modifying FCS scheduling philosophy......

......North Dakota State athletic director Matt Larsen said he's been told the new policy is a direct reflection of the nine-game Big Ten schedule. On years where a Big Ten team has four home league games, it will be allowed to put an FCS team on its slate.

ndsubison1
07-20-2017, 06:21 AM
I doubt it will do anything for us. Maybe down the road. Do OSU, Michigan, or PSU ever schedule FCS?

bruinbison
07-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Yea, both parties have kinda moved on already in scheduling;
NDSU (FCS) and the Big 10.
Looks like Nebraska has one opening in 2023......

Minnesota has 5 home Big 10 games in 2019*, so if the B10 alternates every other year 5 or 4, that makes 2020 the 1st year they could schedule NDSU. Of course, that is the year of the Oregon game.
And, if I read the article correctly, that leaves even-numbered years as the possibility for Gophers-NDSU.
The Bison already have FBS games scheduled for 2022 and 2024 with the PAC-12, so........no gophs for a looong time (unless the B10 staggers the 5 and 4 home game format).

*the Gophers still have South Dakota State on their schedule for 2019

NodakBizon
07-20-2017, 11:57 AM
I doubt it will do anything for us. Maybe down the road. Do OSU, Michigan, or PSU ever schedule FCS?

Michigan took a bite of the FCS fruit in 07, don't think they liked the taste.

NovaBison
07-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Scrolling through Massey, it looks like in the 2000s there were a few D1AA games - OSU played YSU twice, PSU played YSU and ISU(B), did not look at Michigan, but we all know about App State... but it looks like those teams stopped FCS games by 2010... I am guessing it is way easier to get a MAC school.

Don't see Minnesota or Wisconsin scheduling NDSU anytime soon... but would love to play Nebraska.

DePereBisonFan
07-20-2017, 01:41 PM
This is good. Even if it takes a while to get the Gophers back on our schedule, at least we have a better shot of getting an FBS game every year. I would love to see Illinois in 2019.

stevdock
07-20-2017, 02:07 PM
This is good. Even if it takes a while to get the Gophers back on our schedule, at least we have a better shot of getting an FBS game every year. I would love to see Illinois in 2019.

Illinois is already filled with home games against Akron and Eastern Michigan.

In fact it looks like every Big 10 team is full for 2019.

Christopher Moen
07-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Scrolling through Massey, it looks like in the 2000s there were a few D1AA games - OSU played YSU twice, PSU played YSU and ISU(B), did not look at Michigan, but we all know about App State... but it looks like those teams stopped FCS games by 2010... I am guessing it is way easier to get a MAC school.

Don't see Minnesota or Wisconsin scheduling NDSU anytime soon... but would love to play Nebraska.

That would be an epic game atmosphere to experience. I got a tour of their athletic program about a month ago just prior to our WTT and I believe the scene would be a lot bigger than any other FBS team NDSU has played.

MNLonghorn10
07-20-2017, 03:39 PM
I'd love to play nebraska...easy drive, all interstate, downtown Lincoln is fun...only downside is the seating in Lincoln Memorial is suited for people 5'5 and shorter.

I highly doubt ndsu is on their radar considering they've beaten every team that surrounds them...literally

BisonBacker
07-20-2017, 04:39 PM
Call me jaded but everyone getting all excited over yesterdays story regarding the bigX scheduling is taking the bait hook line and sinker. Fools gold at best. Don't expect Minnesota or Iowa to be open to scheduling any games. For that matter I'll be shocked if NDSU can get any decent bigX team on the schedule in the next 5-10 years. Guess it's fodder for those ok with staying FCS anyway. They can say hey we can schedule BigX teams again lol. Good luck with that. All the while Matt Larsen is smiling and thanking the Forum for running that story.

bisonp
07-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Call me jaded but everyone getting all excited over yesterdays story regarding the bigX scheduling is taking the bait hook line and sinker. Fools gold at best. Don't expect Minnesota or Iowa to be open to scheduling any games. For that matter I'll be shocked if NDSU can get any decent bigX team on the schedule in the next 5-10 years. Guess it's fodder for those ok with staying FCS anyway. They can say hey we can schedule BigX teams again lol. Good luck with that. All the while Matt Larsen is smiling and thanking the Forum for running that story.

Maybe so, but there will still be a trickle-down effect that opens up other FBS opportunities. More FBS/FCS games is a good thing.

BisonDentist
07-26-2017, 07:01 PM
Why hasn't Missouri been talked about as a potential FBS opponent? It's not that far away, and them being an SEC team would be an attractive team to play.

Christopher Moen
07-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Why hasn't Missouri been talked about as a potential FBS opponent? It's not that far away, and them being an SEC team would be an attractive team to play.

Probably one of those teams that doesn't pick up the phone when they see the call is coming from a 701 area code.

ndsubison1
07-26-2017, 07:30 PM

They have been down lately

WhoRepsTheLurker
07-27-2017, 12:55 PM
https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/7/26/16030930/minnesota-football-gophers-will-fcs-opponents-return-to-tcf-bank-stadium-south-dakota-state-ndsu

Looks like FCS is ok for the goophs, with the exception of their “nemesis” NDSU. Ah, the price of success …

Bisonator98
07-27-2017, 03:13 PM
https://www.thedailygopher.com/2017/7/26/16030930/minnesota-football-gophers-will-fcs-opponents-return-to-tcf-bank-stadium-south-dakota-state-ndsu

Looks like FCS is ok for the goophs, with the exception of their “nemesis” NDSU. Ah, the price of success …

How embarrassing it must be to admit as a B1G school that you are afraid to schedule an FCS team.:rofl:

Bison Loaf
07-27-2017, 03:24 PM

I think this quote from another Gopher nemesis says it all.

"I will teach you the meaning of the word "respect"! - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack.

thebootfitter
07-27-2017, 05:20 PM
I also think it's kind of funny where the article says about 2019 when they play South Dakota State and Georgia Southern that the schedule appears as if they are "baking cupcakes." Even if Minnesota has a decent year in 2019, I wouldn't be at all surprised if either of those teams beat the Goophs.

El_Chapo
07-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Nick Saban comes out today and says " Power 5 teams should never ever play FCS teams"

EC8CH
07-28-2017, 05:38 AM

Hilarious. I understand the goofs being scared of the Bison but to write it down in an article. Come on guys, have some self respect. You're the big boys after all.

23Bison
07-28-2017, 01:21 PM
I'd like to see the team play Mich St, Neb, Wis. it would look cool seeing the Bison in those stadiums on tv and maybe spread the exposure a little further east into Michigan and Ohio. I realize we recruit Wisconsin heavily now but more exposure in that part of the country couldn't hurt. I don't see any of them picking up the phone I guess unless it's Penn St, Ohio St. I think the wolverines probably won't chance it but you never know.

Imagine if the scheduling worked out to where we had an FBS game every year from the B10. #pipedream

Bisonator98
07-28-2017, 01:24 PM
I'd like to see the team play Mich St, Neb, Wis. it would look cool seeing the Bison in those stadiums on tv and maybe spread the exposure a little further east into Michigan and Ohio. I realize we recruit Wisconsin heavily now but more exposure in that part of the country couldn't hurt. I don't see any of them picking up the phone I guess unless it's Penn St, Ohio St. I think the wolverines probably won't chance it but you never know.

Imagine if the scheduling worked out to where we had an FBS game every year from the B10. #pipedream
The Bison in the Big House would be epic!:biggrin:

23Bison
07-28-2017, 02:01 PM
The Bison in the Big House would be epic!:biggrin:

The Iowa game was great to see on Tv but I never grew up watching them play so to see the teams that I had followed as a kid playing the Bison would be fantastic just because of the size and play style is relatable.