PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Schedule: FBS Team

DePereBisonFan
02-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Was reading this article today: http://www.inforum.com/sports/4223173-ndsu-athletic-department-will-lose-over-800000-state-funding

Looks like we are trying to set up a 2018 FBS game, which is a relief. Any thoughts regarding if this will happen, and if so who would schedule us? Maybe some S-E-C! S-E-C! chants a la Mizzou?

El_Chapo
02-23-2017, 04:52 PM
why not schedule a 2017 FBS game? whats the point of MVSU

Christopher Moen
02-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Was reading this article today: http://www.inforum.com/sports/4223173-ndsu-athletic-department-will-lose-over-800000-state-funding

Looks like we are trying to set up a 2018 FBS game, which is a relief. Any thoughts regarding if this will happen, and if so who would schedule us? Maybe some S-E-C! S-E-C! chants a la Mizzou?

A SEC team would be nice. Not sure if Mizzou is ready to schedule and pay a tough OOC to come to Columbia, MO, with all the crap the team has went through the past few years. Outside of Tennessee (and Mizzou), I'm not sure if any other SEC team has paid a Northern FCS team to come play them.

The best chance for a P5 game will be the PAC-12 due to the number of DI schools being less in the West.

2011BisonAlumni
02-23-2017, 05:30 PM

What a fucking joke. What they need to do is grow some balls and close down Mayville State, Valley City State and Dickinson State. Make Minot the teacher college and invest the cost savings in UND and NDSU.

stevdock
02-23-2017, 06:22 PM

Missouri already has their FCS games scheduled for the next 3 years. In fact, a good portion of the SEC has been scheduling their FCS games with the SoCon for a while now. I don't know if that's an agreement between conferences or what though. For example, Alabama is playing SoCon schools for at least the next two years. You would think the Pac 12 would be the best shot, but the entire conference's schedule is full except for Stanford's in 2018 and it doesn't look like they play FCS schools.

BattleBorn
02-23-2017, 06:37 PM
Let's get Georgia Tech!

CaBisonFan
02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
What a fucking joke. What they need to do is grow some balls and close down Mayville State, Valley City State and Dickinson State. Make Minot the teacher college and invest the cost savings in UND and NDSU.
It's actually the other way around. UND and NDSU simply had to have a teachers' program to duplicate Mayville, Vally, Minot, and Dickinson. Those programs should be shut down at NDSU & UND. The facilities are already in place at the smaller campuses...places that have proven to run very efficiently, saving students a lot of money.

stevdock
02-23-2017, 07:20 PM
It's actually the other way around. UND and NDSU simply had to have a teachers' program to duplicate Mayville, Vally, Minot, and Dickinson. Those programs should be shut down at NDSU & UND. The facilities are already in place at the smaller campuses...places that have proven to run very efficiently, saving students a lot of money.

If that were the case would we have had a certain #11 or #16 (I thought I heard they were both just student teaching away from being finished) on the roster at QB among others?

Bison Loaf
02-23-2017, 08:02 PM

Admittedly reading between the lines here with green & gold glasses on, but if "hoping" to get another FBS game scheduled in 2018 means he's actually in talks with someone..................that could also very well mean that he has that 6th home game in 2018 already "on the hook" and "almost landed". Which would be nice.

I'm guessing it would probably be a single home game because of the Delaware Home/Home already booked for 2018. Having another home/home with the 1st game at the Dome, would potentially require a 2nd return away game in 2018 (although the return could be later). Either way, I think knowing what your good options are in either of those two categories, allows you to pursue a 2018 FBS game, at this "late" stage, with a little more vigor.

Bison"FANatic"
02-23-2017, 08:47 PM
Does not the SEC schedule their FCS games late in the year when we are in conference play?

THEsocalledfan
02-23-2017, 08:55 PM
I vote the two Ok teams or TCU.

ByeSonBusiness
02-23-2017, 08:56 PM
If that were the case would we have had a certain #11 or #16 (I thought I heard they were both just student teaching away from being finished) on the roster at QB among others?

You shouldn't have academic programs on campus because of athletes. You should have athletes there for your programs.

1993bison
02-23-2017, 09:21 PM
Come on. Do you really expect all college kids to drive more than 60 miles to school? That's a long way to drive home to have mom do the laundry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CaBisonFan
02-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Well...they could have played at Mayville or Valley...or...

Portlandbison
02-23-2017, 11:04 PM
A SEC team would be nice. Not sure if Mizzou is ready to schedule and pay a tough OOC to come to Columbia, MO, with all the crap the team has went through the past few years. Outside of Tennessee (and Mizzou), I'm not sure if any other SEC team has paid a Northern FCS team to come play them.

Florida is playing Northern Colorado this year

Christopher Moen
02-23-2017, 11:08 PM
Florida is playing Northern Colorado this year

Darn cake-eaters! That Georgia Southern game must still haunt them.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/669a08c409aa77c208b93f0f9ae70c2a/tumblr_mwujy0Anbu1rvn2ylo1_400.gif

oldmantutters
02-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Darn cake-eaters! That Georgia Southern game must still haunt them.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/669a08c409aa77c208b93f0f9ae70c2a/tumblr_mwujy0Anbu1rvn2ylo1_400.gif

I had to do a triple take on that one. And yep there are 2 gators blocking each other.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ZHerd
02-24-2017, 01:24 AM
ANY P5 team, ANY P5 conference...don't care who, just want a game. I'd be ok with a handful of G5's as well

Bisonator98
02-24-2017, 02:20 AM
I can't imagine any FBS team willing to pay us for a game. Too many body bag opponents available. Should have thrown the Iowa game.

El_Chapo
02-24-2017, 02:53 AM
ANY P5 team, ANY P5 conference...don't care who, just want a game. I'd be ok with a handful of G5's as well

but you dont want NDSU FBS??

BattleBorn
02-24-2017, 05:10 AM
I am willing to up the ante. If we get Georgia Tech, first round at the Clermont (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clermont_Lounge) is on me.

marenlee
02-24-2017, 10:00 AM
I had to do a triple take on that one. And yep there are 2 gators blocking each other.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The best video with that play. Worth the 50 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05h49R4QX9U

gizmo
02-24-2017, 12:16 PM
As a proud NDSU alumnus from western ND, I resent this anti-west elitism that sometimes surfaces from Fargo and Grand Forks. The RRV has its two universities, isn't that good enough without trying to suck the life out of the colleges that try to survive on the scraps your politicians throw out west once in awhile. The smaller colleges do not hurt NDSU so get over it. NDSU has had steady growth for many years. Compare NDSU's facilities to those of the smaller colleges....if anything, more emphasis should go elsewhere.

PattyBison
02-24-2017, 12:41 PM
As a proud NDSU alumnus from western ND, I resent this anti-west elitism that sometimes surfaces from Fargo and Grand Forks. The RRV has its two universities, isn't that good enough without trying to suck the life out of the colleges that try to survive on the scraps your politicians throw out west once in awhile. The smaller colleges do not hurt NDSU so get over it. NDSU has had steady growth for many years. Compare NDSU's facilities to those of the smaller colleges....if anything, more emphasis should go elsewhere.

Its not elitism - at least not from me. There is a drain of resources to have so many colleges and universities supporting such a small population. For example, Wyoming has one college/university. You are wrong when it says it doesn't hurt NDSU. It hurts all of the colleges and universities in the system because they are all fighting for the same pool of money. It also hurts the students for the same reason and it hurts the tax payers for having to fund the same admin functions for all the entities.

From my perspective, it has nothing to do with east vs west. Honestly, the first I would close would be Mayville. You can move UND to Dickinson if you feel it is about geography. It is about providing the best level of education while being a good steward of taxpayer money.

gizmo
02-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Its not elitism - at least not from me. There is a drain of resources to have so many colleges and universities supporting such a small population. For example, Wyoming has one college/university. You are wrong when it says it doesn't hurt NDSU. It hurts all of the colleges and universities in the system because they are all fighting for the same pool of money. It also hurts the students for the same reason and it hurts the tax payers for having to fund the same admin functions for all the entities.

From my perspective, it has nothing to do with east vs west. Honestly, the first I would close would be Mayville. You can move UND to Dickinson if you feel it is about geography. It is about providing the best level of education while being a good steward of taxpayer money.

Why not move NDSU to Dickinson? Oh wait, it's not about geography! Why do you ignore the taxpayer cost of reciprocity?

PattyBison
02-24-2017, 12:54 PM
Why not move NDSU to Dickinson? Oh wait, it's not about geography! Why do you ignore the taxpayer cost of reciprocity?

Well, clearly, since I care about taxpayer funds, I was clearly being facetious since it would be cost prohibitive to establish the infrastructure to move either NDSU or UND across the state. But for my example, I honestly don't care, send NDSU to Dickinson.

I'm sorry, when did the discussion turn to reciprocity?

You really need to step away from the ledge because I think you are inferring a lot of things from the comments that you read that really are not there.

Mr Meaty
02-24-2017, 01:00 PM

I would have to agree with some of this. It is not an east vs west either. The overhead to operate all the university/colleges in this state is high. Building on all campuses are in need of updates or improvements. The State is asking for budget cuts on operating these campuses. What are you going to do for the infrastructure within the campuses? Where does it make the most sense to put your state dollars to work? I do not have the answer for that but it is a discussion that needs to happen. Small towns are debating about building new K-12 schools because the current building are 50+ years old and in poor shape. There has been a lack for looking into the future for a lot of things in ND. That day is upon us now and there is a lot of fixing to do. Where is the best bang for the buck (no Izzzie reference either). The leadership at the State level over the past 50 years has let this State down and the current ones in office are looking so short term the problems will mostly likely continue.

TransAmBison
02-24-2017, 01:00 PM
As a proud NDSU alumnus from western ND, I resent this anti-west elitism that sometimes surfaces from Fargo and Grand Forks. The RRV has its two universities, isn't that good enough without trying to suck the life out of the colleges that try to survive on the scraps your politicians throw out west once in awhile. The smaller colleges do not hurt NDSU so get over it. NDSU has had steady growth for many years. Compare NDSU's facilities to those of the smaller colleges....if anything, more emphasis should go elsewhere.Something tells me this is a personal belief not based on any facts or research...just what you want to believe. If anything, it sounds like a bias against the RRV. I propose North Dakota closes UND and distributes the funds to the rest...everybody is happy. :)

Mayville Bison
02-24-2017, 01:09 PM

If you close Mayville St, that money is not going to NDSU or UND. It will follow the students that would have gone to Mayville and they aren't looking for a large(r) state school to learn their trade. They are kids from smaller towns throughout the region who are looking to get a teaching degree and move back to smaller towns throughout the region. CA said it about as good as anyone can.

PattyBison
02-24-2017, 01:16 PM
If you close Mayville St, that money is not going to NDSU or UND. It will follow the students that would have gone to Mayville and they aren't looking for a large(r) state school to learn their trade. They are kids from smaller towns throughout the region who are looking to get a teaching degree and move back to smaller towns throughout the region. CA said it about as good as anyone can.

To clarify, I am not suggesting (and never have) that NDSU will be the sole beneficiary of any closures. I am saying from my perspective, the number of colleges and universities that North Dakota has is excessive and drains resources. Our system needs major changes to be efficient. I actually thought Sharvani's (spelling) suggestions were appropriate to create tiers of with the system.

Can you help me understand if DSU's role is to educate future teachers to be dispersed to small towns in ND, why do they have an international program bringing in students from China?

tjbison
02-24-2017, 01:20 PM
let's get Nebraska on the schedule, after all that's what this is supposed to be about

oldmantutters
02-24-2017, 01:22 PM
let's get Nebraska on the schedule, after all that's what this is supposed to be about

B1G school, won't happen. I think Oklahoma would be a fun game, cross another Big12 team off the list.

tjbison
02-24-2017, 01:26 PM
B1G school, won't happen. I think Oklahoma would be a fun game, cross another Big12 team off the list.

I know, but we can dream right

Bison Loaf
02-24-2017, 01:30 PM
Something tells me this is a personal belief not based on any facts or research...just what you want to believe. If anything, it sounds like a bias against the RRV. I propose North Dakota closes UND and distributes the funds to the rest...everybody is happy. :)

Caveat: As long as we still have hockey. - signed, everyone at UND

runtheoption
02-24-2017, 01:32 PM
I love me some of that there redundant colleges/universities...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Bison Loaf
02-24-2017, 01:36 PM

If P5, I think it will be another Pac-12 school. (Washington State, maybe?)

Until 2020 comes, the Pac-12 is the only one stupid enough to even listen. :)

MNLonghorn10
02-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Move ndsu to the bigger better state next door to the east, everybody wins

gizmo
02-24-2017, 01:40 PM
Something tells me this is a personal belief not based on any facts or research...just what you want to believe. If anything, it sounds like a bias against the RRV. I propose North Dakota closes UND and distributes the funds to the rest...everybody is happy. :)

It's not RRV bias, it is simply a fact that nearly all of our governors and political power come from the east and it shows. Sorry, but I cannot call Bismarck and Minot "west" anymore because they usually don't act that way. So, that leaves Dickinson State and Williston JC as the only colleges in the west. Is that too many? I don't think so. Having said that, NDSU has tremendous support in the true west of ND and it has little to do with football....it is about real education and real issues that are important to us. Sometimes, people make too big a deal about football and use it as an excuse to close down other colleges and that simplistic attitude ticks me off.

tjbison
02-24-2017, 01:42 PM
It's not RRV bias, it is simply a fact that nearly all of our governors and political power come from the east and it shows. Sorry, but I cannot call Bismarck and Minot "west" anymore because they usually don't act that way. So, that leaves Dickinson State and Williston JC as the only colleges in the west. Is that too many? I don't think so. Having said that, NDSU has tremendous support in the true west of ND and it has little to do with football....it is about real education and real issues that are important to us. Sometimes, people make too big a deal about football and use it as an excuse to close down other colleges and that simplistic attitude ticks me off.

Take the East vs west to a different thread, this about 2018 FBS possibilities/wishes

tjbison
02-24-2017, 01:43 PM
If P5, I think it will be another Pac-12 school. (Washington State, maybe?)

Until 2020 comes, the Pac-12 is the only one stupid enough to even listen. :)

I wouldn't mind at trip to UNLV, Tempe, Tacoma, San Diego etc...

Not real interested in the LA schools, Tucson, New Mexicos, Utahs

MNLonghorn10
02-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Wtf are you whining to a bunch of rubes for since it's about government and politicians? We can't help that eastern north dakota is a hell of a lot better than western North dakota

Mr Meaty
02-24-2017, 01:54 PM
Virginia Tech or ASU in the desert would be my picks.

runtheoption
02-24-2017, 01:54 PM

I don't think DSU or Williston State are the campuses that people are talking about. It's probably VCSU, Mayville St, Bottineau and maybe Lake Region. Not an east/west thing.

El_Chapo
02-24-2017, 02:02 PM

how many students at mayville state has athletic scholarships/grants. ill hang up and listen

El_Chapo
02-24-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't think DSU or Williston State are the campuses that people are talking about. It's probably VCSU, Mayville St, Bottineau and maybe Lake Region. Not an east/west thing.

I personally LOVE driving down I 94 and seeing a Bus Custom wrapped with Valley City St Baseball on it... what a colossol waste!

Bison Loaf
02-24-2017, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't mind at trip to UNLV, Tempe, Tacoma, San Diego etc...

Not real interested in the LA schools, Tucson, New Mexicos, Utahs

Virginia Tech or ASU in the desert would be my picks.

Actually, anything in western snowbird country would make a lot of sense..................Tempe, Tuscon, Las Vegas...............Reno?

I don't think anything in eastern snowbird land (Florida), or southern snowbird territory (Texas) would take the bait right now.

runtheoption
02-24-2017, 02:24 PM
Actually, anything in western snowbird country would make a lot of sense..................Tempe, Tuscon, Las Vegas...............Reno?

I don't think anything in eastern snowbird land (Florida), or southern snowbird territory (Texas) would take the bait right now.

Weeklong September party in Vegas leading up to a game against UNLV!

AKBison
02-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Mayville need to be shuttered asap. Valley City should privatized like Jamestown and could probably pull it off, especially with assistance from the State. NDSCS needs to be renamed North Dakota Tech and turned into a 4 year college. Rename Williston State to North Dakota Tech-Williston and western kids can go there for Tech degrees and then feed into Wahp for the more advanced stuff, same with North Dakota Tech-Bottineau and North Dakota Tech-Bismarck. Lake Region is untouchable because of politics. Minot ST is fine but Dickinson State is a joke and I have no idea what to do there.

PattyBison
02-24-2017, 03:13 PM

This has nothing to do about football.

Bison Loaf
02-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Weeklong September party in Vegas leading up to a game against UNLV!

Yah, I don't know............it's still kind of hot there in September...............and the twinkling lights keep me up at night.............and there are never enough nickel slots.............and the chances of being tempted into eternal damnation are very high.................and they always run out of prime rib at the buffet.............and then, to top it off, I'd probably end up baby-sitting and bailing-out BisonVet the whole freaking time there!

I'm just not sure it would be worth it.

ndsubison1
02-24-2017, 04:17 PM
As of right now I only see really good programs willing to schedule us.

2011BisonAlumni
02-24-2017, 04:20 PM

The vast majority of FBS teams are still oblivious. The regional schools are likely done playing us.

I work with a lot of Wyoming alumni and they think they would curb stomp NDSU.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-24-2017, 04:32 PM

Ha! Bring it on 'pokes'. Now that's a game I would like to see.

Curb stomp? Yes, it would be fun for us to do that to them in Laramie (while getting paid).

reformedUNDfan
02-24-2017, 04:35 PM

If it were up to me, I'd nuke williston from orbit and give whats left to montana. Western ND leaches off the hardworking, productive citizen out east. You idiots managed to lose money on an oil boom. I can't wait to get to pay off all your debt to build infrastructure you'll never need. it's enough to make me want to live in minnesota

ZHerd
02-24-2017, 04:47 PM
The vast majority of FBS teams are still oblivious. The regional schools are likely done playing us.

Fan bases are oblivious, not the people making the decisions. I'm guessing if Nick Saban was asked if he had a preference to play or not play NDSU it would be a "No Way!" I remember after struggling some against Ga Southern a few years back, he said he was just glad that game was out of the way

2011BisonAlumni
02-24-2017, 04:54 PM

CaBisonFan
02-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Mayville need to be shuttered asap. Valley City should privatized like Jamestown and could probably pull it off, especially with assistance from the State. NDSCS needs to be renamed North Dakota Tech and turned into a 4 year college. Rename Williston State to North Dakota Tech-Williston and western kids can go there for Tech degrees and then feed into Wahp for the more advanced stuff, same with North Dakota Tech-Bottineau and North Dakota Tech-Bismarck. Lake Region is untouchable because of politics. Minot ST is fine but Dickinson State is a joke and I have no idea what to do there.Mayville State is the most efficient 4-year institution in the state. Tuition is very low and affordable. It's not a burden to the state. Same with Valley City.

MAKBison
02-24-2017, 05:09 PM
Mayville State is the most efficient 4-year institution in the state. Tuition is very low and affordable. It's not a burden to the state. Same with Valley City.

They should not be offering anything above an associates degree

CaBisonFan
02-24-2017, 05:11 PM
They should not be offering anything above an associates degree
.....why?.....

Christopher Moen
02-24-2017, 05:17 PM

I get the same type of sentiments from USAFA fans. For some odd reason, fans of FBS schools think that FCS players are small and lack any type of athletic ability. Getting that type of thinking from a USAFA fans makes it even more funny when you have remind them that their team is comprised of smaller players compared to any level of DI schools due to the military height and weight standards.

MAKBison
02-24-2017, 05:18 PM
.....why?.....

Because it is aduplication in mission. We don't need 10 plus schools all offering BS and BA degrees. Just as Minot, Bismarck should not be offering MS and PHD degrees (minot offers a PHD in CJ).

bisonpride4ever
02-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Screw it, let's be Notre Dame's 1st ever FCS opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAKBison
02-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Because it is a duplication in the mission. We don't need 10 plus schools all offering BS and BA degrees. Just as Minot, Bismarck should not be offering MS and Ph.D. degrees (minor offers a Ph.D. in CJ).

Now some of you might think..... NDSU and UND should not be offering Undergrad degrees. thats a good point and IMO half right. UND should not be offering undergrad degrees. However, As there are no other BS land grant schools in the state, NDSU has rightfully assumed that mission. Just as other ND land grant institutions have assumed filling the Asscoaites level.

Bison Dan
02-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Mayville State is the most efficient 4-year institution in the state. Tuition is very low and affordable. It's not a burden to the state. Same with Valley City.

Wrong, state money going into both is almost twice as much per student as NDSU gets. VC gets over 9000 per student, last I heard NDSU gets around 4800 per. You have to look at the cost per student not the over all appropriation.

Bisonator98
02-24-2017, 05:40 PM
Fan bases are oblivious, not the people making the decisions. I'm guessing if Nick Saban was asked if he had a preference to play or not play NDSU it would be a "No Way!" I remember after struggling some against Ga Southern a few years back, he said he was just glad that game was out of the way

This. Fan bases are blow hards. The coaches and administrators know better. There is no reason, zero, zilch, nada to schedule NDSU when they can schedule a Savannah State for a $200k, fill the stands, get the win and collect the cash.

CaBisonFan
02-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Because it is aduplication in mission. We don't need 10 plus schools all offering BS and BA degrees. Just as Minot, Bismarck should not be offering MS and PHD degrees (minot offers a PHD in CJ).
The duplication is in Fargo and Grand Forks.

MAKBison
02-24-2017, 06:20 PM
The duplication is in Fargo and Grand Forks.

No, to fulfill its LG mandate NDSU is justifiable in having BS-PHD programs.

2011BisonAlumni
02-24-2017, 06:38 PM

ND has the most publically funded 4 year universities, per capita, in the U.S.. It is a complete joke. How can Wyoming pull of 1 4 year publically funded university but somehow ND needs 6? All ND is doing is susidizing higher education for other states and paying multiple bloated salaries for university administration.

The first step should be closing Valley and Mayville. Consolidate those programs into UND/NDSU.

aces1180
02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
We are now a mobile society who can actually move efficiently between areas of the state. When the NDUS was first set-up, it made sense to have as many universities as it did due to travel issues.

IMO, there is no reason to have public 4-year universities in Minot, Dickinson, Mayville or Valley City. If I were king, I would convert them to community colleges/tech schools or shutter them if possible.

I'd offer general education courses as well as technical programs/AA degrees.

Too bad the whole system is tied into the state's constitution, which would require a referendum. Making these changes would almost be impossible.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Too bad the whole system is tied into the state's constitution, which would require a referendum.

Ok, I'm giving up on the FBS thread. Serious question - why was this written into the constitution?

CaBisonFan
02-24-2017, 07:07 PM
We are now a mobile society who can actually move efficiently between areas of the state. When the NDUS was first set-up, it made sense to have as many universities as it did due to travel issues.

IMO, there is no reason to have public 4-year universities in Minot, Dickinson, Mayville or Valley City. If I were king, I would convert them to community colleges/tech schools or shutter them if possible.

I'd offer general education courses as well as technical programs/AA degrees.

Too bad the whole system is tied into the state's constitution, which would require a referendum. Making these changes would almost be impossible.It was set up this way for a reason.

tjbison
02-24-2017, 07:29 PM
Jesus people make a different fucking thread

Christopher Moen
02-24-2017, 08:09 PM

This thread is so beyond the radius of its center point of discussion, that it is officially on a:
http://www.mathinary.com/images/cirkel_tangent.png

MNLonghorn10
02-24-2017, 08:24 PM
You sound like you're from Western North dakota

TransAmBison
02-24-2017, 08:44 PM
You sound like you're from Western North dakotaNow that's funny.

Mr Meaty
02-24-2017, 09:09 PM

Hope you said that slowly, because they can only read so fast.

Tony Almeida
02-24-2017, 10:31 PM

Now that's funny.

Hope you said that slowly, because they can only read so fast.Easy ladies...some of the hardest working people and the best people I know come from the west.

Dickinson State is the only public 4 year school in that area...the next closest one is 3 hours away in Minot. Many people from that the west do not wish to leave far from home, I have had many friends that made that choice and attended DSU and it was more affordable as well. It doesn't make sense to close DSU when the nearest public 4 year school in ND is 3 hrs away, in South Dakota 4 hrs away in Spearfish, and 4.5 hrs away to the west in Billings, MT. And frankly, all those choices are not much better IMO...

But I cannot make the same cases for Mayville St and Valley City St...and maybe a JUCO or two? People losing jobs would be tough though and the effect it would have on those communities.

Ok back to the thread topic....which...was what again? Oh yeah, scheduling future FBS teams...ummm I say we schedule Dickinson St for 2018, wait what? What happened?

NorthernBison
02-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Agreed. NDSU sucks balls when it comes to facilitating teacher education. I wanted my daughter to go to NDSU but they were zero help. Nothing but roadblocks and truly unhelpful people.

Mayville and Valley get it done.

perthbison
02-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Agreed. NDSU sucks balls when it comes to facilitating teacher education. I wanted my daughter to go to NDSU but they were zero help. Nothing but roadblocks and truly unhelpful people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkto do elementary ed you need to do tri college. Not really.convient

ndsubison1
02-25-2017, 06:07 AM

Alumni. Not administrators and coaching staff

stevdock
02-25-2017, 01:47 PM

I love NDSU but I completely agree with this about the teacher education program. I wanted to expand my K-8 license to also include teaching HS math, so I went in and talked to them to see which classes I needed to take and they told me I had to take 2 more years of classes. I contacted the state and they told me I had to take 2 more classes and then take a test. I was so frustrated that I came really close to cutting ties with NDSU. If that wasn't exactly the case of we don't care about the student just the money that comes with them, then nothing is. Obviously I did not take those 2 classes from NDSU.

ZHerd
02-25-2017, 03:03 PM
I love NDSU but I completely agree with this about the teacher education program. I wanted to expand my K-8 license to also include teaching HS math, so I went in and talked to them to see which classes I needed to take and they told me I had to take 2 more years of classes. I contacted the state and they told me I had to take 2 more classes and then take a test. I was so frustrated that I came really close to cutting ties with NDSU. If that wasn't exactly the case of we don't care about the student just the money that comes with them, then nothing is. Obviously I did not take those 2 classes from NDSU.

Every college cares more about money. That is why they make everyone take a zillion credits, half of which, are useless trash. Actually, half of the degrees people get nowdays are useless trash but I'll digress

southcliffbison
02-25-2017, 03:05 PM

I am a Valley City State grad, and I have no problem with the idea of closing it or Mayville State or both. As was the case with Ellendale Junior College during my high school years, those two schools (VCSU and MSU) could easily transition into faith-base entities. Try this on your palate .......Valley City Wesleyan or Mayville Baptist.......has a ring to it, doesn't it?

NorthernBison
02-25-2017, 03:27 PM
I am a Valley City State grad, and I have no problem with the idea of closing it or Mayville State or both. As was the case with Ellendale Junior College during my high school years, those two schools (VCSU and MSU) could easily transition into faith-base entities. Try this on your palate .......Valley City Wesleyan or Mayville Baptist.......has a ring to it, doesn't it?

Then teacher education in ND dies because the PEOPLE managing it at NDSU are incompetent and lazy.

I experienced it and was shocked. What the people at NDSU couldn't explain and set up a plan for was a half hour discussion at Mayville.

southcliffbison
02-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Then teacher education in ND dies because the PEOPLE managing it at NDSU are incompetent and lazy.

I experienced it and was shocked. What the people at NDSU couldn't explain and set up a plan for was a half hour discussion at Mayville.

Not trying to be argumentative, but please explain why teacher education will die in ND if this would happen. Faith based colleges and universities offer very fine teacher education curriculums...........just don't see the logic. Teacher ed courses/requirements are mandated by the legislature/DPI and that would not change or be altered.........it is just the funding component that is different.

Bison Loaf
02-25-2017, 04:15 PM
I nominate this thread as "The most uninteresting FOOTBALL thread of the year".

Do I hear a second on that motion?

TAILG8R
02-25-2017, 05:45 PM
I nominate this thread as "The most uninteresting FOOTBALL thread of the year".

Do I hear a second on that motion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvImOXgADIQ

Bison Loaf
02-25-2017, 08:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvImOXgADIQ

Wonder if I might be having a stroke? My eyes are only focusing at the lower right quadrant.

Which reminds me. Scheduling another FBS team from the mountainous regions might be nice. Hurumph!

MAKBison
02-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Every college cares more about money. That is why they make everyone take a zillion credits, half of which, are useless trash. Actually, half of the degrees people get nowdays are useless trash but I'll digress

That's a bit simplistic as the institutions are not the only one setting the number of required credits. You need to through in the state, regional acceridtation and profession specfic acreditatation in there as well.

GCWaters
02-26-2017, 12:39 AM
to do elementary ed you need to do tri college. Not really.convient

Not true...Valley offers el Ed on the NDSU campus in a double degree program with HDFS....the NDSU/Valley majors are probably 25% of Valley's total enrollment....

1998braves64
02-26-2017, 01:10 AM
Not true...Valley offers el Ed on the NDSU campus in a double degree program with HDFS....the NDSU/Valley majors are probably 25% of Valley's total enrollment....

Or tie in with VCSU point is they don't offer the entire thing thru strictly NDSU....

GCWaters
02-26-2017, 01:22 AM
Or tie in with VCSU point is they don't offer the entire thing thru strictly NDSU....

True, but it's pretty seemless for the students...

A1pigskin
02-26-2017, 12:23 PM

I'm with CaBisonFan on this one.

CAS4127
02-26-2017, 02:29 PM
It was set up this way for a reason.

Kinda like an inefficiency at the office and when I ask why we are doing that-->"because it's always been done that way."

Not directed at you, was just segue to what my thoughts were on subject.

NorthernBison
02-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Not trying to be argumentative, but please explain why teacher education will die in ND if this would happen. Faith based colleges and universities offer very fine teacher education curriculums...........just don't see the logic. Teacher ed courses/requirements are mandated by the legislature/DPI and that would not change or be altered.........it is just the funding component that is different.

A bit of hyperbole based on the incompetence of the people running the programs at NDSU. Fire them and hire the people at Mayville and/or VCSU and there's hope.

Anyway, my daughter is under contract for the remainder of this school year. Got her degree and license in 9 semesters. 4.0 using LRSC for first 2 years. Saved between 16 and 20k vs attending NDSU.

perthbison
02-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Or tie in with VCSU point is they don't offer the entire thing thru strictly NDSU....Correct. That is the point. Some students want to attend NDSU for their education. At least there is a way for them to do so. Although, after hearing Northern's assessment I have a hard time recommending it. We went through orientation and admissions a couple years ago and everything went competently. It does sound like some firings would be in order in the teacher education dept as it cost them at least one student (customer) that we know about and that usually means there are many more. It always irks me dealing with people who won't do their jobs.

CaBisonFan
02-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Does the tri-college still exist? My wife graduated from NDSU but rode the bus over to Moorhead State to get her education courses.

GCWaters
02-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Does the tri-college still exist? My wife graduated from NDSU but rode the bus over to Moorhead State to get her education courses.

https://www.ndsu.edu/registrar/registration/tricollege/

GCWaters
02-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Correct. That is the point. Some students want to attend NDSU for their education. At least there is a way for them to do so. Although, after hearing Northern's assessment I have a hard time recommending it. We went through orientation and admissions a couple years ago and everything went competently. It does sound like some firings would be in order in the teacher education dept as it cost them at least one student (customer) that we know about and that usually means there are many more. It always irks me dealing with people who won't do their jobs.

Northern's talking about the secondary ed program...elementary is completely separate...