PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Messingham

MAKBison
02-14-2017, 04:26 PM
NDSU has a new offensive coordinator!!!!!

IBleedYellow
02-14-2017, 04:27 PM
Apparently he runs a lot out of the shotgun and under center?

Montana St. was #17 rushing offense last year. So I'm not too worried about it. Let's go start another dynasty.

MAKBison
02-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Montana St. was #17 rushing offense last year. So I'm not too worried about it. Let's go start another dynasty.

Another waterloo guy

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2015/12/17/FB_1217155804.aspx

IBleedYellow
02-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Another waterloo guy

http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2015/12/17/FB_1217155804.aspx

I was just telling clenz that another UNI Panther is going to become a National Champion because he was wise enough to become a Bison.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 04:40 PM

I hope he doesn't ruin our offense by going all big sky. The Insiders has a great segment on this https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-feb-14-2017-full-show

MAKBison
02-14-2017, 04:41 PM
I hope he doesn't ruin our offense by going all big sky.

Was in the midwest for more time than in mt....not too worried. However, loooking at our widouts, seems like we are infusing more athleticism there so there might be a slight tweak

BisManBison
02-14-2017, 05:09 PM
That was fast. Tells me Kleiman had his guy in mind and was likely in the know for quite some time regarding Polasek leaving. Good on Polasek for not dropping a bomb, never know when he'll need to or want to come back lol.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 05:17 PM
Was in the midwest for more time than in mt....not too worried. However, loooking at our widouts, seems like we are infusing more athleticism there so there might be a slight tweak

The biggest enemy of our offense is the passing game and trying to get too cute. Last year we ran too much shotgun and not enough play action on running downs. I'm also concerned this is the first year in forever that our TOP wasn't at the top of the stats sheet. However... looking at the end of the James Madison game... our passing game looked completely out of their comfort zone so an infusion of downfield passing could be a good thing. Of course had we tried to not get cute earlier in the game, we may not have been in that position.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 05:32 PM
That was fast. Tells me Kleiman had his guy in mind and was likely in the know for quite some time regarding Polasek leaving. Good on Polasek for not dropping a bomb, never know when he'll need to or want to come back lol.

I like the speed of the hire for sure...

Question for anyone who knows... where is Messinghams main recruiting area? Is he more connected in Iowa?

KTF
02-14-2017, 05:34 PM
What is the source? I am not on twitter or facebook, so I don't follow the up to the minute news...

DIBISON
02-14-2017, 05:34 PM
Great hire for Bison football. He has a lot of offensive experience, from position coaching to OC responsibilities. I noticed that his recruiting assignment was Dallas/Ft. Worth. I wonder if the Bison will renew efforts in recruiting Texas or just reshuffle the staff assignments for the current recruiting areas?

MrSnuffleupagus
02-14-2017, 05:54 PM

This. :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

BadlandsBison
02-14-2017, 05:56 PM
I was shocked to hear that CP is leaving, but perhaps more shocked by this hire.

Here is my 2 cents. I've heard Klieman say more than once that operating under center with a fullback is what NDSU does and will continue to do. It doesn't take a genius to learn pulling guard and fullback concepts. I think the bigger challenge is learning how to TEACH it the right way and that is where I think Connor Riley will be leaned on. Going forward, the biggest improvements that need to be made are with the game-flow for play calling and adjustments. Maybe that is where Messingham can bring an upgrade and I would guess that Klieman understands that too.

mtoutfitter
02-14-2017, 06:00 PM
The biggest enemy of our offense is the passing game and trying to get too cute. Last year we ran too much shotgun and not enough play action on running downs. I'm also concerned this is the first year in forever that our TOP wasn't at the top of the stats sheet. However... looking at the end of the James Madison game... our passing game looked completely out of their comfort zone so an infusion of downfield passing could be a good thing. Of course had we tried to not get cute earlier in the game, we may not have been in that position.

..Went over and read a bit on their fan board.....one of their criticisms of Messingham was not running enough play action. Of course you have to remember that's just one arm chair QBs opion....just thought I'd throw it out there.

MrSnuffleupagus
02-14-2017, 06:03 PM
I was shocked to hear that CP is leaving, but perhaps more shocked by this hire.

Here is my 2 cents. I've heard Klieman say more than once that operating under center with a fullback is what NDSU does and will continue to do. It doesn't take a genius to learn pulling guard and fullback concepts. I think the bigger challenge is learning how to TEACH it the right way and that is where I think Connor Riley will be leaned on. Going forward, the biggest improvements that need to be made are with the game-flow for play calling and adjustments. Maybe that is where Messingham can bring an upgrade and I would guess that Klieman understands that too.

Play calling and adjustments are huge. I think this past season really opened my eyes to just how lucky we have had it with players like Wentz; who I honestly think saved our butts more often than we'd like with his play calling at the line. Some of the games this season were just really painful to watch with simply just the unwillingness to adapt and adjust to what just plain wasn't working.

Either way, this year will be fun.

CyPanth
02-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Heard the news about Messingham. Surely you guys know that he was one of the many failed OC's for Iowa State. At first, I was thinking that he might even have been OC for your game in Ames, but he was fired at the end of the preceding season. We didn't think much of Messingham. Of course, we didn't think much of Tom Hermann either (whom Messingham replaced). Hope he does well for you (except in the UNI games).

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 06:48 PM
Heard the news about Messingham. Surely you guys know that he was one of the many failed OC's for Iowa State. At first, I was thinking that he might even have been OC for your game in Ames, but he was fired at the end of the preceding season. We didn't think much of Messingham. Of course, we didn't think much of Tom Hermann either (whom Messingham replaced). Hope he does well for you (except in the UNI games).

Given the fact Iowa State just pretty much sucks at everything related to football... is there a coach you like? Mark Mangino was apparently some sort of guru... and he was disliked.

MrSnuffleupagus
02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Given the fact the state of Iowa just pretty much sucks at everything related to football... is there a coach you like? Mark Mangino was apparently some sort of guru... and he was disliked.

FIFY

10char

CyPanth
02-14-2017, 06:54 PM
Given the fact Iowa State just pretty much sucks at everything related to football... is there a coach you like? Mark Mangino was apparently some sort of guru... and he was disliked.

We are pretty high right now on Matt Campbell and OC Tom Manning who came from Toledo. They are amazing recruiters who got the best class ever last year, even though only being hired right after Thanksgiving (and an even better one this year, loaded with big o-linemen and d-lineman). And even with terrible losses on the o-line early last season, they pulled it together and were doing a decent job by the end of the season.

MrSnuffleupagus
02-14-2017, 06:58 PM
They are amazing recruiters who got the best class ever last year.

~Every team's fans, every year.

Bison 4 Life
02-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Somehow, disliked UNI coaches who come to NDSU eventually become envied.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 07:13 PM
We are pretty high right now on Matt Campbell and OC Tom Manning who came from Toledo. They are amazing recruiters who got the best class ever last year, even though only being hired right after Thanksgiving (and an even better one this year, loaded with big o-linemen and d-lineman). And even with terrible losses on the o-line early last season, they pulled it together and were doing a decent job by the end of the season.

Just give them a few years and they will be disliked too. :)

Bisonator98
02-14-2017, 07:34 PM
Iowa State is such a shit program for so long I wouldn't really judge a coach by what happened there. Maybe the new regime will get that place turned around but I doubt it.

Time will tell if this is a good hire or not. I'm a bit concerned...

Mr Meaty
02-14-2017, 07:40 PM
Iowa State is such a shit program for so long I wouldn't really judge a coach by what happened there. Maybe the new regime will get that place turned around but I doubt it.

Time will tell if this is a good hire or not. I'm a bit concerned...

Change in the football and mens basketball at NDSU is always good. That means we have been successful and coaches are getting new opportunities to coach elsewhere. But yes the fear of the unknown is always somewhat concerning.

Bisonator98
02-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Change in the football and mens basketball at NDSU is always good. That means we have been successful and coaches are getting new opportunities to coach elsewhere. But yes the fear of the unknown is always somewhat concerning.

I'm just going by what he did with Montana State last year and what I've heard so far. I know it was his first year there and they had a new young QB to break in but going by some of the stats the passing game really struggled. He seems to like the shotgun formation which is hard to run a power west coast offense from IMO and one of the things I disliked about TP's play calling. I'd prefer we get back to our roots and run more I formations with the QB under center. Run more play action from that to hit big plays down field. Who knows maybe he is open to different offenses based on personnel and schemes. Might be a good fit, time will tell.

Bison 4 Life
02-14-2017, 07:59 PM
I'm just going by what he did with Montana State last year and what I've heard so far. I know it was his first year there and they had a new young QB to break in but going by some of the stats the passing game really struggled. He seems to like the shotgun formation which is hard to run a power west coast offense from IMO and one of the things I disliked about TP's play calling. I'd prefer we get back to our roots and run more I formations with the QB under center. Run more play action from that to hit big plays down field. Who knows maybe he is open to different offenses based on personnel and schemes. Might be a good fit, time will tell.

I saw him referred to on the Montana State board as a "power run" guy who couldn't adapt to a Big Sky offense so maybe he is getting back to his roots. He's got MVFC experience

Christopher Moen
02-14-2017, 08:01 PM

From what I remember, NDSU's more successful plays against JMU were play action. When the game got tied-up, the offense went back to shot-gun predictable plays.

bisonmike2
02-14-2017, 08:08 PM
I saw him referred to on the Montana State board as a "power run" guy who couldn't adapt to a Big Sky offense so maybe he is getting back to his roots. He's got MVFC experience

Well, he'll have a real defense now to back him up so he doesn't have the pressure of having to score 50 points just to win a game.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 08:31 PM
The Insiders talks about Messingham. Jeremy Jorgenson seems to like him a lot https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-feb-14-2017-full-show

Bison 4 Life
02-14-2017, 08:34 PM
The Insiders talks about Messingham. Jeremy Jorgenson seems to like him a lot https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-feb-14-2017-full-show

I'll give it a listen but I take JJ stuff with a grain of salt because he's a company guy.

Bisonator98
02-14-2017, 08:41 PM
I'll give it a listen but I take JJ stuff with a grain of salt because he's a company guy.

Yeah never been a big fan of his, he could take off the knee pads once in awhile....

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 08:50 PM

I like Jeremy but at times he's a bit of a company line type of guy. He makes me optimistic though.

Bison 4 Life
02-14-2017, 08:55 PM
OK, I listened. I'll mostly agree with JJ here. I got a lot of the same vibes from what I've seen today on the message boards. Not really responsible for the Iowa State stuff, lots of experience and strong ties to the midwest.

Not sure about where he's going to recruit though.

Bison03
02-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Yeah never been a big fan of his, he could take off the knee pads once in awhile....
He works for NDSU...what else would you expect then to applaud the new hire. I would be like Tyler Roehl coming out against it. Time will tell. People were concerned about Vigen and Polacek when they took the job. All they did was win a shit ton of games and national championships.

Christopher Moen
02-14-2017, 09:12 PM
He works for NDSU...what else would you expect then to applaud the new hire. I would be like Tyler Roehl coming out against it. Time will tell. People were concerned about Vigen and Polacek when they took the job. All they did was win a shit ton of games and national championships.

I was really hoping Tyler got a look at for the OC.

ndsubison1
02-14-2017, 09:13 PM

There was a lot of excitment for Polasek when he was hired as OC. I do think there's been a lot of overreaction to him. Messingham seems like a good replacement.

Bison03
02-14-2017, 09:18 PM
I was really hoping Tyler got a look at for the OC.
Needs more experience. He is still a young coach. I hope he is at NDSU for a long time.

Grizaddict
02-14-2017, 09:20 PM
Here's the skinny...

The year before last, the bobcats had a very potent offense run by Tim Cramsey (left for Nevada and now SHSUs new OC). They put up video game numbers with points and yards and were among the tops of all FCS. Enter new staff and new OC Messingham.

The offense was night and day difference. Became a slower tempo, control the clock, runs first type of O. The cats had a former four star quarterback transferred in from a junior college. He struggled mightily. With that, the offense struggle mightily as well and fans became very restless. Many in Bozeman pinned it on Messingham and wanted him gone. They switched over to a true freshman quarterback who is more of a running back and ran it a ton. That kid was often the fastest kid on the field. Their passing game basically became nonexistent and they just let that kid fly. Their game planning seemed better towards the end of the season but the jury is still out I would say on this OC

Bison Dan
02-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Here's the skinny...

The year before last, the bobcats had a very potent offense run by Tim Cramsey (left for Nevada and now SHSUs new OC). They put up video game numbers with points and yards and were among the tops of all FCS. Enter new staff and new OC Messingham.

The offense was night and day difference. Became a slower tempo, control the clock, runs first type of O. The cats had a former four star quarterback transferred in from a junior college. He struggled mightily. With that, the offense struggle mightily as well and fans became very restless. Many in Bozeman pinned it on Messingham and wanted him gone. They switched over to a true freshman quarterback who is more of a running back and ran it a ton. That kid was often the fastest kid on the field. Their passing game basically became nonexistent and they just let that kid fly. Their game planning seemed better towards the end of the season but the jury is still out I would say on this OCI'd be willing to bet that their OL sucked.

El_Chapo
02-14-2017, 09:31 PM
hired his high school buddy...... hmmm

Bison 4 Life
02-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Here's the skinny...

The offense was night and day difference. Became a slower tempo, control the clock, runs first type of O. The cats had a former four star quarterback transferred in from a junior college. He struggled mightily. With that, the offense struggle mightily as well and fans became very restless. Many in Bozeman pinned it on Messingham and wanted him gone. They switched over to a true freshman quarterback who is more of a running back and ran it a ton. That kid was often the fastest kid on the field. Their passing game basically became nonexistent and they just let that kid fly. Their game planning seemed better towards the end of the season but the jury is still out I would say on this OC

Nothing you said concerns me. The last thing we need is a Big Sky offense. If Messingham is a slow tempo control the clock guy, that has me very excited.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 09:36 PM
Here's the skinny...

Montana State switching styles from high octane to power run football is going to rub people the wrong way no matter what. Kind of like how Bobs tits (bitch tits) made the switch in Montana. But I guess the way you described the offense seems similar to what we did in year #1 for Easton Stick. Just ran the QB all the time since he's a great athlete.

Grizaddict
02-14-2017, 09:48 PM
A quick look at the Big Sky stats....

MSU was 11 of 13 in total offense
MSU was 11 of 13 in scoring offense
MSU was 12 of 13 in passing offense
MSU was 3 of 13 in rushing offense

They had some issues around a two QB system but once they went with their speedster Freshman they game planned better and just let him run.

Bison Loaf
02-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Not saying this is good or bad, just a statement.

Looks like Messingham will be the first OC promoted without a little Bison experience and seasoning (aka, not from within) in 13 years (Tim Albin - 2004).

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 09:54 PM
A quick look at the Big Sky stats....

MSU was 11 of 13 in total offense
MSU was 11 of 13 in scoring offense
MSU was 12 of 13 in passing offense
MSU was 3 of 13 in rushing offense

They had some issues around a two QB system but once they went with their speedster Freshman they game planned better and just let him run.

I don't think Klieman is going to have him reinvent the wheel. We have a formula that works. I'm curious if they had the had the right type of players to run that type of football. Montana State isn't known for good defense, power running o-lineman with fullbacks and TE's... especially after having a team full of spread type players. That was quite the change in philosophy

Christopher Moen
02-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Needs more experience. He is still a young coach. I hope he is at NDSU for a long time.

31 years old and in the system for awhile. He's plenty ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unbison
02-15-2017, 12:00 AM

Apparently he was not the man for the job

HerdBot
02-15-2017, 12:20 AM

The trends these days are for younger coaches. I like a mix of both.

Christopher Moen
02-15-2017, 12:36 AM
Apparently he was not the man for the job

Apparently yes, but I'm arguing against those who say he's still too young. Guy actually has been coaching for quite awhile now. At the age of 31, he's only few years younger than what Tim Polasek was (34 I believe) when he got the OC job. Plus, Roehl has been in the NDSU system as a player and coach longer than Polasek was.

1993bison
02-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Apparently yes, but I'm arguing against those who say he's still too young. Guy actually has been coaching for quite awhile now. At the age of 31, he's only few years younger than what Tim Polasek was (34 I believe) when he got the OC job. Plus, Roehl has been in the NDSU system as a player and coach longer than Polasek was.
We should not discriminate based on age. A 31 year of could very well be better at a job than a 50 year old. Experience matters to a point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtgrizzly
02-15-2017, 01:28 AM
Well I see you guys finally got a bobcat to come to the dome.

BisonTru
02-15-2017, 01:39 AM
Well I see you guys finally got a bobcat to come to the dome.

:rofl: True....

IzzyFlexion
02-15-2017, 01:31 PM
Messingham was Iowa State's tight ends coach at Iowa State in 2009.

So.....he was on the field the last time that NDSU lost a game to an FBS school...........2,722 days ago!

Therefore, BMG!

GOBISON123
02-15-2017, 01:40 PM
Messingham was Iowa State's tight ends coach at Iowa State in 2009.

So.....he was on the field the last time that NDSU lost a game to an FBS school...........2,722 days ago!

Therefore, BMG!

That is great because, coming into that game EJ Bibbs was the Big12 TE of the year and he got few other awards.

wagsabison
02-15-2017, 01:44 PM
That is great because, coming into that game EJ Bibbs was the Big12 TE of the year and he got few other awards.

I think he was their TE when we played them in 2014

tolnabison
02-15-2017, 01:47 PM

That is false. EJ Bibbs was not on the roster in 2009. He played for Iowa St in 2013 and 2014 after transferring in from Arizona Western Junior College. You are right he was on the Mackey list after his 2013 season. But no Messingham never coached him.

CyPanth
02-15-2017, 05:06 PM
One time I got to ask Messingham about why he called a particular play with particular players on the field in a particular situation. He essentially said that they didn't call plays based on who was on the field. They mostly just rotated players and called plays based on the situation but not the players. I thought that was a horrible answer, particularly because so many situations call for particular players (possession receivers, short yardage runners, etc.). Maybe he was just blowing me off. Or maybe he gave a really bad answer.

CyPanth
02-15-2017, 05:09 PM
It is difficult to know exactly what happened with Iowa State QBs, but it is clear that having a revolving door for OC's didn't help. And it seems that the former head coach liked to meddle with the QBs. I imagine that Messingham might say that he never really got a chance to develop and use a QB at Iowa State like he wanted. He was clearly a fall guy before the head coach got fired himself.

CyPanth
02-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Ah yes, Mark "the Man-genius" Mangino.

Bison"FANatic"
02-15-2017, 06:20 PM
One time I got to ask Messingham about why he called a particular play with particular players on the field in a particular situation. He essentially said that they didn't call plays based on who was on the field. They mostly just rotated players and called plays based on the situation but not the players. I thought that was a horrible answer, particularly because so many situations call for particular players (possession receivers, short yardage runners, etc.). Maybe he was just blowing me off. Or maybe he gave a really bad answer.

Heck that is a change from where we have been this last year. With certain backs you knew dang well they were not going to run between the tackles and it was either a pass or a outside run and usually the outside run it was.

CyPanth
02-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Heck that is a change from where we have been this last year. With certain backs you knew dang well they were not going to run between the tackles and it was either a pass or a outside run and usually the outside run it was.

Well, there you go. Now you have your man for calling plays.

ZHerd
02-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Coach Klieman clearly knows lots of coaches, and his selections often aren't people anyone would guess. The Messingham selection is a slight head scratcher being that his previous stops left lots to be desired. On the other hand, Klieman obviously really wanted him here as evidenced by that it was already apparently lined up when CP made his announcement. I'm also guessing that NDSU currently has far more to work with on offense than Messingham had at either ISU or MT St.

wagsabison
02-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Coach Klieman clearly knows lots of coaches, and his selections often aren't people anyone would guess. The Messingham selection is a slight head scratcher being that his previous stops left lots to be desired. On the other hand, Klieman obviously really wanted him here as evidenced by that it was already apparently lined up when CP made his announcement. I'm also guessing that NDSU currently has far more to work with on offense than Messingham had at either ISU or MT St.

Agreed. This is a little different situation than MSU.

1993bison
02-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Goes the other way as well. If an O over uses a play with certain players on the field they show their hand.

El_Chapo
02-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Her leash will be short! Courtney!

bisonfan08
02-15-2017, 08:35 PM

I'm guessing Roehl was definitely under consideration but knowing the system and teaching/play calling out of the system are two very different things. There's a lot of nuances with playbook development and situational football and if Kleiman didn't think he was ready for the jump then that's the decision that was made. There's also the small chance Roehl himself didn't want to make the jump yet but knowing the competitor he is I can't say I can see that being the case. I trust Klieman so if he thinks this is the guy that's going to make our offense perform to the best of it's ability then I'm on board with it.

Bison03
02-15-2017, 09:08 PM
UND drones saying he is a bad coach because he was at bad programs is ridiculous. When a head coach is fired, so is most of the staff. And if they think that the talent he had last year on the field in Bozeman is anything close to what there is at NDSU, they are crazy. Bill Belichick might not have gotten the Bobcats to a winning record!

Mr Meaty
02-15-2017, 11:33 PM
The underlying theme over on YHB is NDSU is slipping and maybe we can catch them. Maybe they should just worry about getting better first. Barn swallow over is the worst for it.

CAS4127
02-15-2017, 11:48 PM
UND drones saying he is a bad coach because he was at bad programs is ridiculous. When a head coach is fired, so is most of the staff. And if they think that the talent he had last year on the field in Bozeman is anything close to what there is at NDSU, they are crazy. Bill Belichick might not have gotten the Bobcats to a winning record!

Bubba comes to mind with that theory.

Christopher Moen
02-16-2017, 12:01 AM
The underlying theme over on YHB is NDSU is slipping and maybe we can catch them. Maybe they should just worry about getting better first. Barn swallow over is the worst for it.

http://positivetruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PositiveTruth40-400x400.jpg

Mr Meaty
02-16-2017, 12:03 AM
http://positivetruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PositiveTruth40-400x400.jpg

I like that.

GOBISON123
02-16-2017, 04:31 AM
That is false. EJ Bibbs was not on the roster in 2009. He played for Iowa St in 2013 and 2014 after transferring in from Arizona Western Junior College. You are right he was on the Mackey list after his 2013 season. But no Messingham never coached him.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. Anyway I hope to see more play action passing and little less QB run

Schemer
02-16-2017, 08:42 AM
I don't think Klieman is going to have him reinvent the wheel. We have a formula that works. I'm curious if they had the had the right type of players to run that type of football. Montana State isn't known for good defense, power running o-lineman with fullbacks and TE's... especially after having a team full of spread type players. That was quite the change in philosophy

Courtney Messingham sounds as if he's always had the NDSU mentality. Talks about Downhill Running, Physicality and Blocking Well. References Darrell Mudra as key coaching influence at 5:58 mark. Mentions NDSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhL6htoL-o

Bison 4 Life
02-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Whew, when I saw Montana State I was afraid we were getting a Big Sky guy. This guy sounds 100% like he's been auditioning to work at NDSU his whole career.

Must be the Mudra influence.

Bisonator98
02-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Courtney Messingham sounds as if he's always had the NDSU mentality. Talks about Downhill Running, Physicality and Blocking Well. References Darrell Mudra as key coaching influence at 5:58 mark. Mentions NDSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOhL6htoL-o

Sounds good, we'll see how well he implements it here.

HerdBot
02-16-2017, 03:51 PM
Whew, when I saw Montana State I was afraid we were getting a Big Sky guy. This guy sounds 100% like he's been auditioning to work at NDSU his whole career.

Must be the Mudra influence.

Apparently Mudra as at UNI when Klieman was younger.

Bison 4 Life
02-16-2017, 05:05 PM

It's hard to tell but Klieman and Messingham played together, and are roughly the same age.

only 4 years older than me. I clearly haven't lived enough.

Christopher Moen
02-16-2017, 05:05 PM

He won 3 conference titles there and led the Panthers to two semifinal games. It was also his last stop. Dude was a major success everywhere he coached except Arizona and Florida State.

CalBison97
02-16-2017, 07:39 PM
Music to my ears! His philosophy sounds like just what the Dr. ordered. From Bison1660 https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/new-bison-offensive-coordinator-courtney-messingham-2-16-17

A1pigskin
02-16-2017, 11:26 PM
I was just telling clenz that another UNI Panther is going to become a National Champion because he was wise enough to become a Bison.

He's hungary!!!!!

HerdBot
02-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Our new offensive coordinator was on The Insiders today. Here's the full show. You'll want to listen to the whole thing since it has Polasek, Buddah Williams, and Messingham (hour number 2)

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-feb-16-2017-full-show

runtheoption
02-17-2017, 03:50 PM
He's hungary!!!!!I don't think spell czech picked up what you did there.

Son of a Bison
02-17-2017, 04:07 PM
The 1660 interview was very good. He gets Bison power football but also understands the role of the pass and using athletes to make plays. I think his expectation will be for more 1 on 1 receiver routes with expectation for the receiver to win the 50:50 ball or make the catch and elude the tackler. I think our passing game will benefit from this philosophy.

bri-dog
02-17-2017, 04:40 PM
He's hungary!!!!!

I don't think spell czech picked up what you did there.

He was Russian to get it posted quickly. Now he's Finnished.

HerdBot
02-17-2017, 05:02 PM
The 1660 interview was very good. He gets Bison power football but also understands the role of the pass and using athletes to make plays. I think his expectation will be for more 1 on 1 receiver routes with expectation for the receiver to win the 50:50 ball or make the catch and elude the tackler. I think our passing game will benefit from this philosophy.

I really really like this hire. Has to do it on the field but this guy gets it and will fit in perfectly

IzzyFlexion
02-17-2017, 05:16 PM
He was Russian to get it posted quickly. Now he's Finnished.

I dunno.............

It's all Greek to me.

http://ocdn.eu/images/pulscms/ZWY7MDA_/228369cd330446fece1d4d60eddf9091.jpeg

IBleedYellow
02-17-2017, 05:20 PM
The Bobcats really didn't like him.

Can't wait to watch another "bad coach" come into NDSU and leave 3-5 years later as someone that everyone wants.

Bison 4 Life
02-17-2017, 09:37 PM
The Bobcats really didn't like him.

Can't wait to watch another "bad coach" come into NDSU and leave 3-5 years later as someone that everyone wants.

I remember the UNIs bashing Entz and even Klieman when they left.

CyPanth
02-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Yeah, but his name is "Courtney!"

HerdBot
02-17-2017, 11:48 PM
Messingham did his 2nd interview in as many days... he was on the Brakedown today on Bison 1660.

New NDSU OC, Courtney Messingham on "The BrakeDown" Friday, February 17th
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/new-ndsu-oc-courtney-messingham-on-the-brakedown-friday-february-17th

or if you want to hear the whole show it's here... https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-brakedown-friday-february-17th-full-show

TwinCityBison
02-18-2017, 05:24 PM
I think he will work with Randy Hedberg to really make us more balanced next year! This could be a great fit!

CentennialBison
02-19-2017, 12:45 AM
I have mixed feeling about this hire. He hasn't been very successful recently, but I think he is good fit scheme wise. He has also been calling plays longer than Tim did, so that is a plus in my book.

Anyway, someone spend a lot of effort making these videos. Have a look if you guys/gals want to see what kind of offense he ran at Montana State.

Montana State vs Idaho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8P08yM6oJc

CentennialBison
02-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Montana State vs UC Davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ge3P7zZMI

A1pigskin
02-19-2017, 01:07 PM
I hope the play calling improves and he will bring a few new things, which is good. NDSU has been studied to death that some new blood will be good for the program. I hope to see the receiving improves.

TwinCityBison
02-19-2017, 04:55 PM
I hope the play calling improves and he will bring a few new things, which is good. NDSU has been studied to death that some new blood will be good for the program. I hope to see the receiving improves.
I'm excited to see Sean Engel and Noah Grindoff for the future - a couple of huge targets along with Easton improving his passing. Teams can't stack the box anymore.potential to be a great duo!

Grizzled
02-19-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm excited to see Sean Engel and Noah Grindoff for the future - a couple of huge targets along with Easton improving his passing. Teams can't stack the box anymore.potential to be a great duo!

Neither guy has stepped on the field yet. We need a wholesale passing game improvement if we don't want guys to stack the box. Plus some speed outside.

TwinCityBison
02-19-2017, 06:59 PM
Neither guy has stepped on the field yet. We need a wholesale passing game improvement if we don't want guys to stack the box. Plus some speed outside. We have some nice veteran weapons in RJ, Shep, Williams, Illies along with some young talent will help next year. Easton was dinged up which effected some of his throws. Next year has the potential to being a much improved passing game with the new OC !

semobison
02-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Neither guy has stepped on the field yet. We need a wholesale passing game improvement if we don't want guys to stack the box. Plus some speed outside.

Yup, we were dead last in the Valley in Pass offense last year and our 3rd down conversion rate was down! When teams used to stack the box we made them pay with our passing game. We couldn't do that consistently last year.

Bison20
02-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Yup, we were dead last in the Valley in Pass offense last year and our 3rd down conversion rate was down! When teams used to stack the box we made them pay with our passing game. We couldn't do that consistently last year.

We were never a team that would beat you throwing but I think the problem is we were way to predictable when we did throw. It also seemed like on third and long we would throw short passes that didn't stand a chance to get a first down. Hopefully we can keep the defense guessing and off balance.

Mr. Burgundy
02-20-2017, 05:00 PM

Absolutely need WR's to step up. RJ and Shep are great, but they are great at a modest # of plays. They need guys who can step in and let them breath. They are good based on precise route running and having their burst....they are not good running 70 plays. This is a big year for several of them. Dimitri Williams is close to breaking out. was going to have a nice freshman year, but got dinged up early, then last year showed a lot of burst in the short passing game. He has to be great, and Sean Engel must be everything we hoped. That and tight ends who can run after the catch...assuming we do catch it. All of these things help Easton. Will be fun. A lot of youth on this team. Everyone redshirted.

THEsocalledfan
02-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Absolutely need WR's to step up. RJ and Shep are great, but they are great at a modest # of plays. They need guys who can step in and let them breath. They are good based on precise route running and having their burst....they are not good running 70 plays. This is a big year for several of them. Dimitri Williams is close to breaking out. was going to have a nice freshman year, but got dinged up early, then last year showed a lot of burst in the short passing game. He has to be great, and Sean Engel must be everything we hoped. That and tight ends who can run after the catch...assuming we do catch it. All of these things help Easton. Will be fun. A lot of youth on this team. Everyone redshirted.

This will be a fascinating Spring Ball since we know so little on the redshirts who were considered on the of the best classes ever.

GenX
02-20-2017, 10:04 PM

This is a great post. If Sean can find a way to get on the field, will allow Shep & RJ to play less snaps, stay fresh. Otherwise, need Dallas to continue his development. No matter what, going to be fun to watch.

El_Chapo
02-21-2017, 02:43 AM
She will have a SHORT LEASH with us, better come out and show up some variety post haste!

2011BisonAlumni
02-21-2017, 02:37 PM
We were never a team that would beat you throwing but I think the problem is we were way to predictable when we did throw. It also seemed like on third and long we would throw short passes that didn't stand a chance to get a first down. Hopefully we can keep the defense guessing and off balance.

False. 2013-2015 we could beat any team out there by throwing the ball.

THEsocalledfan
02-21-2017, 03:20 PM

Agreed; it was just that we were run first; when they needed to throw, they usually were able to. Only exception I can think of was 2014 UNI game. Brock and Carson were special.

ZHerd
02-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Agree and though we may not see more #2 draft picks come through, we should hopefully be able to recruit guys on par. An accurate, well timed west coast passing attack is difficult to stop for any defense, even if their dbs are better than our receivers. Brock's 2013 season was a thing of beauty and I don't think it's outrageous for us to anticipate seeing that again

Bison 4 Life
02-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Agree and though we may not see more #2 draft picks come through, we should hopefully be able to recruit guys on par. An accurate, well timed west coast passing attack is difficult to stop for any defense, even if their dbs are better than our receivers. Brock's 2013 season was a thing of beauty and I don't think it's outrageous for us to anticipate seeing that again

Brock was also a Senior in 2013. I don't have any doubt that we will see some of that again with our current personnel.

bri-dog
02-21-2017, 03:42 PM
We did have 4,098 yards rushing in 2013 and 3,980 in 2014 (minus yards lost, which were mostly sacks).

Not to say we still couldn't have beaten people without a good running game, but that's a lot to make up for with a passing game...

Bisonator98
02-21-2017, 03:48 PM
We did have 4,098 yards rushing in 2013 and 3,980 in 2014 (minus yards lost, which were mostly sacks).

Not to say we still couldn't have beaten people without a good running game, but that's a lot to make up for with a passing game...

We absolutely need both. A power west coast offense will not be very effective if we are lacking in either the rushing or passing game as we have witnessed in more then a few games. We have to be able to take what the defense is giving us.

THEsocalledfan
02-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Brock's 2013 season was a thing of beauty and I don't think it's outrageous for us to anticipate seeing that again

Why do I feel like folks have already forgotten just how good Brock was that year? While he never had Carson's sheer ability, he was lights out that year. Still, the nicest deep ball I've ever seen from a Bison QB, Carson included.

Bison20
02-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Why do I feel like folks have already forgotten just how good Brock was that year? While he never had Carson's sheer ability, he was lights out that year. Still, the nicest deep ball I've ever seen from a Bison QB, Carson included.

Brock was a senior and Easton just finished his sophomore year. I think Easton has more talent than Brock and still has two years left. Hopefully he can take another step up in his game and get us another title. Brock also had one of the best olines to give him time. To think he had Turner and haeg and Zach Johnson is ridiculous. We may never see a qb with the talent of Carson, he's in his own league

THEsocalledfan
02-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Brock was a senior and Easton just finished his sophomore year. I think Easton has more talent than Brock and still has two years left. Hopefully he can take another step up in his game and get us another title. Brock also had one of the best olines to give him time. To think he had Turner and haeg and Zach Johnson is ridiculous. We may never see a qb with the talent of Carson, he's in his own league

In my mind, Brock was a better thrower and Easton is a better runner/athlete. I hope his throwing continues to progress. In my mind, the biggest area he needs to work on is timing; he always seems just a hair late on throws, but as you state, he was just a sophomore; he can get there.

Christopher Moen
02-21-2017, 09:01 PM

Because the negative Nancies like to remember the bad (especially Indiana State at home in 2012) than the good. Let's not forget that Brock does still hold the record for most QB victories the FCS.

Things Brock did better than anyone else:
1) Fake drop-back pass to run up the middle.
2) Deep pass, especially from the flea flicker. Ball had a nice touch. Easton had this going early in the season until he hurt his back, which I'm guessing was the Iowa game. Wentz's deep pass wasn't too bad either. Just had a little too much mustard on it early on.

2011BisonAlumni
02-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Agreed; it was just that we were run first; when they needed to throw, they usually were able to. Only exception I can think of was 2014 UNI game. Brock and Carson were special.

That exception I believe largely was due to an injured Wentz. He should have not been out there. I also remember an excessive number of runs up the gut doing nothing.

The other thing about last year was an overall lack of playmakers surrounding Easton. The loss of Zach Vraa hurt.

semobison
02-21-2017, 09:18 PM
We absolutely need both. A power west coast offense will not be very effective if we are lacking in either the rushing or passing game as we have witnessed in more then a few games. We have to be able to take what the defense is giving us.

I couldn't agree more! When we have had a good yardage ratio of about 55% run 45% pass is when we have had the most offensive success. That is what we averaged in conference play from 2013-2015. Last season in conference play we gained 62% of our offense yards rushing and only 38% through the air. We were dead last in passing yards in Valley play!

THEsocalledfan
02-21-2017, 09:27 PM
That exception I believe largely was due to an injured Wentz. He should have not been out there. I also remember an excessive number of runs up the gut doing nothing.

The other thing about last year was an overall lack of playmakers surrounding Easton. The loss of Zach Vraa hurt.

Agreed. 10 char

CaBisonFan
02-21-2017, 09:31 PM

The other thing about last year was an overall lack of playmakers surrounding Easton. The loss of Zach Vraa hurt.I agree. So...will we have more playmakers this year?

2011BisonAlumni
02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
I agree. So...will we have more playmakers this year?

If nobody improves or emerges, the answer is no. We currently do not have a single guy (not including running backs) who can consistently win 1 on 1 battles, go up and get the ball etc. Easton has to have perfect placement and timing on his balls.

Christopher Moen
02-21-2017, 09:57 PM
If nobody improves or emerges, the answer is no. We currently do not have a single guy (not including running backs) who can consistently win 1 on 1 battles, go up and get the ball etc. Easton has to have perfect placement and timing on his balls.

Legendowski can (http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/video-north-dakota-state-receiver-steals-back-the-football-20160912)

http://www.thegazette.com/storyimage/GA/20160912/ARTICLE/160919909/AR/0/AR-160919909.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/ncaa/big/2014/12/06/3457061/NorthDakotaStatejpg-3457058_frame_01_640x360.jpg

And so can Shepherd:

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Darrius-Shepherd-Game-Winning-Touchdown-Northern-Iowa.jpg

GenX
02-21-2017, 10:17 PM

Only partially agree. Loss of Vraa hurt, but he was 3rd leading receiver in 2015. I am quite sure both Shep and RJ had more receptions, yards receiving, and yards per catch in Zach's senior year.

Carson was extraordinary talent. Easton was a sophomore in his first full year as starting QB. That's the biggest difference.

1993bison
02-21-2017, 10:17 PM
Legendowski can (http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/video-north-dakota-state-receiver-steals-back-the-football-20160912)

http://www.thegazette.com/storyimage/GA/20160912/ARTICLE/160919909/AR/0/AR-160919909.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=652

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/ncaa/big/2014/12/06/3457061/NorthDakotaStatejpg-3457058_frame_01_640x360.jpg

And so can Shepherd:

http://www.bisonillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Darrius-Shepherd-Game-Winning-Touchdown-Northern-Iowa.jpg
No shit. RJ is no slouch. Where would we be without him?

Bisonator98
02-22-2017, 01:28 AM
Easton needs to progress a bit more as a passing QB. Last year it appeared he was second guessing himself a bit and not firing the ball on instict resulting in late throws and inaccuracy. He just needs to trust himself and his receivers more. Notice Carson put the ball up and let his receivers make a play, Easton hesitated with that last year. He also needs to anticipate throws better. He also didn't run the RPO's as effectively as he had as a freshman. Maybe it was his back issues, sophomore slump or whatever I don't know but he needs to take the next step as a QB.

CAS4127
02-22-2017, 01:51 AM
I would really like to see Easton and his wr's work on back-shoulder throws/catches on deep balls. Could have really used those agains JMU's press coverage. Carson and RJ basically hooked up on one on last pass in ISURed Natty.

Actually, could have used that pass/catch combo in a lot of games last year. If done correctly it's near "undefendable". Aaron Rodgers is the current NFL king of those right now. Warren Moon kinda invented the concept as I recall.

Bison"FANatic"
02-22-2017, 01:58 AM
RJ also pulled the best CB where Vraa did the year before.

GenX
02-22-2017, 12:46 PM
I would really like to see Easton and his wr's work on back-shoulder throws/catches on deep balls. Could have really used those agains JMU's press coverage. Carson and RJ basically hooked up on one on last pass in ISURed Natty.

Actually, could have used that pass/catch combo in a lot of games last year. If done correctly it's near "undefendable". Aaron Rodgers is the current NFL king of those right now. Warren Moon kinda invented the concept as I recall.

This is so true. Watch the Youngstown State and JMU games again - where the corners played press coverage 95% of the time. Not only were they in press, but they were taking away any inside releases by their positioning. Forcing our receivers to go outside or fight for that inside release. This would have been perfect for back shoulder throw.

BadlandsBison
02-22-2017, 01:37 PM

My impression is that Messingham aims to improve on this kind of thing. A lot more "take what we are given" which fine by me [emoji51]

oldmantutters
02-22-2017, 04:33 PM
My impression is that Messingham aims to improve on this kind of thing. A lot more "take what we are given" which fine by me [emoji51]
Hmm. I feel like that is what this team did last year. I'd like to see them take more of a grab the bull by the horns approach.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

tolnabison
02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
I hope Messingham isn't juggling 4 RB's at a time like we saw in the past. I'd be game for the hot hand approach, let a guy get in a groove. Dunn and Anderson are the obvious favorites to get a majority of the snaps, but Cofield and Purifoy are very talented. Also Coach K said he could see Wilson help us this year.

BadlandsBison
02-22-2017, 05:29 PM
Hmm. I feel like that is what this team did last year. I'd like to see them take more of a grab the bull by the horns approach.

I disagree mightily, no offense, no pun intended. My biggest criticism of Polasek is that he tried too hard to be an architect with his play calling. He called plays around a design that built up to very specific plays with very specific matchups. I think sometimes he stuck stuck to the plan too rigidly like against JMU, and it didn't work, instead of adjusting to something that would work. Other times Polasek did really well, though.

2011BisonAlumni
02-22-2017, 06:05 PM
I disagree mightily, no offense, no pun intended. My biggest criticism of Polasek is that he tried too hard to be an architect with his play calling. He called plays around a design that built up to very specific plays with very specific matchups. I think sometimes he stuck stuck to the plan too rigidly like against JMU, and it didn't work, instead of adjusting to something that would work. Other times Polasek did really well, though.

Polasek proved time and time again that he had the inability to make adjustments. We were not a second half team with him. If his game plan worked, it worked brilliantly. If it did not work, he did not have a clue how to adapt.

ZHerd
02-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Polasek proved time and time again that he had the inability to make adjustments. We were not a second half team with him. If his game plan worked, it worked brilliantly. If it did not work, he did not have a clue how to adapt.

Second half offense was atrocious last year in the regular season, though it was better in the playoffs (though still fizzled in 4th quarter vs JMU). I'm sure he was good at many things and is growing in his understanding but he definitely was poor at making in game adjustments and imo that is a huge barometer for judging a coach

Bison"FANatic"
02-22-2017, 07:13 PM

I describe it as he didn't have the "Art" of play calling mastered. He could do the "Science" and put the plan down in black and white but when the plan needed some grey or to transform it just didn't seem to happen. I think he will get their with more experience but he needs a bit more time.

TwinCityBison
02-23-2017, 01:13 AM
Polasek proved time and time again that he had the inability to make adjustments. We were not a second half team with him. If his game plan worked, it worked brilliantly. If it did not work, he did not have a clue how to adapt.. I think this will be corrected next year with Courtney. Spring will be key to work on the passing game. It should be much improved with Easton healthy and good mix at WR.

BadlandsBison
02-23-2017, 01:48 AM
By the way, did Klieman say who is taking over the running back position group?

RossUglem
02-23-2017, 03:42 AM
By the way, did Klieman say who is taking over the running back position group?

https://twitter.com/NDSUonScout/status/832291807597826048

BadlandsBison
02-23-2017, 01:51 PM
https://twitter.com/NDSUonScout/status/832291807597826048

Thanks, figured I missed it.

GOBISON123
02-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Easton was listed among the top 10 QBs in his class by NFL Draft.com end of the year his ranking dropped to 14 and trending downwards.

A1pigskin
02-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Easton was listed among the top 10 QBs in his class by NFL Draft.com end of the year his ranking dropped to 14 and trending downwards.

Was he playing injured last year? It seemed his speed wasn't what it use to be.

CaBisonFan
02-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Was he playing injured last year? It seemed his speed wasn't what it use to be.Back problems from what I've read...

Christopher Moen
02-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Back problems from what I've read...

The Iowa game was brutal on Easton's body. The Hawkeyes weren't sleeping that day on the Bison.

BisonTru
02-26-2017, 11:07 PM

I follow the draft somewhat every year and last year I followed it pretty damn avidly for obvious reasons and I have never heard of this site. Do you have a link?

Christopher Moen
02-26-2017, 11:44 PM
I follow the draft somewhat every year and last year I followed it pretty damn avidly for obvious reasons and I have never heard of this site. Do you have a link?

Not sure if this is the correct site GOBISON123 is referring to as it doesn't rate Freshman, but he's ranked #14: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2019/QB

(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2019/QB)

Player (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=1&_1:col_2=3)
Pos. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=2&_1:col_2=3)
Pos. Rank (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=3&_1:col_2=3)
School (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=4&_1:col_2=3)
Class (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=5&_1:col_2=3)
Ht. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=6&_1:col_2=3)
Wt. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings-results/2019/QB/overall?&_1:col_1=7&_1:col_2=3)

Lamar Jackson
QB
Louisville
So
6-2

Josh Rosenhttp://sports.cbsimg.net/images/fantasy/injury.gif
QB
UCLA
So
6-3

Josh Allen
QB
Wyoming
rSo
6-5

Wilton Speight
QB
Michigan
rSo
6-5

Nick Fitzgerald
QB
Mississippi State
rSo
6-4

Brett Rypien
QB
Boise State
So
6-2

Jake Browning
QB
Washington
So
6-1

Clayton Thorson
QB
Northwestern
rSo
6-3

Blake Barnett
QB
Arizona State
rFr
6-4

Trace McSorley
QB
Penn State
rSo
6-0

Tanner Mangum
QB
Brigham Young
So
6-3

Luke Del Rio
QB
Florida
rSo
6-1

Kelly Bryant
QB
Clemson
So
6-2

Easton Stick
QB
North Dakota State
rSo
6-2

Keller Chrysthttp://sports.cbsimg.net/images/fantasy/injury.gif
QB
Stanford
rSo
6-4

Gage Gubrud
QB
Eastern Washington
rSo
6-1

Ryan Finley
QB
NC State
rSo
6-3

Kyle Allen
QB
Houston
rSo
6-2

David Cornwell
QB
Alabama
rSo
6-4

Jason Driskel
QB
Florida Atlantic
rSo
6-2

(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2019/QB)I would take this ranking with a grain of salt as a few of these guys will be gone next year and that there is a lot that can happen in two years in a QB's development. QBs can get better and they can get worse. Plus, there are QBs who are Sophomores who have yet to start their careers going into their Junior years, much like Carson Wentz.

BisonTru
02-27-2017, 12:50 AM
I would take this ranking with a grain of salt as a few of these guys will be gone next year and that there is a lot that can happen in two years in a QB's development. QBs can get better and they can get worse. Plus, there are QBs who are Sophomores who have yet to start their careers going into their Junior years, much like Carson Wentz.

Gotcha.

Jackson over Rosen? That's enough proof for me they are just throwing darts at a wall. Hell, I think they had Mitch Leidner in the first round this time last year. I wouldn't put any stock into their list.

GOBISON123
02-27-2017, 03:38 AM
Not sure if this is the correct site GOBISON123 is referring to as it doesn't rate Freshman, but he's ranked #14:

[/URL]I would take this ranking with a grain of salt as a few of these guys will be gone next year and that there is a lot that can happen in two years in a QB's development. QBs can get better and they can get worse. Plus, there are QBs who are Sophomores who have yet to start their careers going into their Junior years, much like Carson Wentz.

Also I am checking, http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/playersbyteam.php?DSTeamId=317&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC .

Gotcha.

Jackson over Rosen? That's enough proof for me they are just throwing darts at a wall. Hell, I think they had Mitch Leidner in the first round this time last year. I wouldn't put any stock into their list.

I think they are pretty decent. Few years ago they listed Joe Haeg as top 10 Offensive Player in his class and that turned out to be fairly accurate.

Was he playing injured last year? It seemed his speed wasn't what it use to be.

Yes CK mentioned late in the season during a press conference that Easton was playing through some back problems.

BisonTru
02-27-2017, 03:56 AM
Also I am checking, http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/playersbyteam.php?DSTeamId=317&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC .

I think they are pretty decent. Few years ago they listed Joe Haeg as top 10 Offensive Player in his class and that turned out to be fairly accurate.

What???? Your definition of fairly accurate is pretty broad. Wow.

BTW, NFLDraftscout and CBSsports draft coverage are the same guy(s).

Bison20
02-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Yes CK mentioned late in the season during a press conference that Easton was playing through some back problems.

I don't see Frasier having a chance at the nfl. He is way to slow for that level.

GOBISON123
02-28-2017, 12:25 AM
I don't see Frasier having a chance at the nfl. He is way to slow for that level.

I agree. He is good at yards after contact but not elusive like Crockett. Heck Ojuri was faster than him.

1993bison
02-28-2017, 01:02 AM
I think you are right. Just the cold hard truth of the matter. I think we all appreciate what he contributed to the program. I'm thankful he was/is a Bison.

KNOW IT ALL
02-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Lamar Jackson #1 ? , Great example of a truly talented athlete who has poor accuracy (sails a lot of balls high) and timing on his throws. He will have some highlight moments every game but he will also average 3 or more picks a game.

BisonNeil
02-28-2018, 01:15 AM
but he will also average 3 or more picks a game.

Is it too late to nominate you for the preposterous statement tournament on KFAN?

CalBison97
03-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Lamar Jackson #1 ?.

Just a hunch he is 1 on a certain “FCS guru” board.

KNOW IT ALL
03-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Is it too late to nominate you for the preposterous statement tournament on KFAN?

YEAH, I mean, Who could possibly question his accuracy issues at the NFL level??? How about, "anybody that has ever actually watched him play"? "Bill Polian"? One former NFL player is claiming racism because analysts are questioning his ability to throw a FB. Now your not allowed to question an athlete because of the color of his skin. If he can catch a football he'll be another Antonio Brown. QB? I'll be surprised. But, we will see. Ooops, that comes off as racist:facepalm2:

BisonNeil
03-06-2018, 01:46 PM
YEAH, I mean, Who could possibly question his accuracy issues at the NFL level??? How about, "anybody that has ever actually watched him play"? "Bill Polian"? One former NFL player is claiming racism because analysts are questioning his ability to throw a FB. Now your not allowed to question an athlete because of the color of his skin. If he can catch a football he'll be another Antonio Brown. QB? I'll be surprised. But, we will see. Ooops, that comes off as racist:facepalm2:

Not commenting on whether Jackson will make it as a QB, it’s the statement on him averaging three picks a game? You would have done well in the preposterous statement tournament on KFAN, there can be no question about that.

Bison"FANatic"
12-04-2018, 05:00 PM
So I am by no means a great football mind but over the years I could get a pretty good general idea by looking at the D setup what Vigen and Polesek would call or audible to in different situation and by how the D responded to pre snap motion or by how the d lined up.

Coach Messingham has done a great job of keeping me guessing. Power???? Zone?????? RPO?????? Throw over the top, throw to back out of the backfield underneath, TE getting hit on multiple route types. He has to have Defenses banging their head against a wall trying to prepare for us. So many weapons used so well.

CyPanth
12-04-2018, 06:31 PM
So I am by no means a great football mind but over the years I could get a pretty good general idea by looking at the D setup what Vigen and Polesek would call or audible to in different situation and by how the D responded to pre snap motion or by how the d lined up.

Coach Messingham has done a great job of keeping me guessing. Power???? Zone?????? RPO?????? Throw over the top, throw to back out of the backfield underneath, TE getting hit on multiple route types. He has to have Defenses banging their head against a wall trying to prepare for us. So many weapons used so well.

Is he that good? Or just fortunate to be calling plays for a really good team?

If I were calling plays for the Bison, I would keep you guessing and the team is good enough that it would probably bail me out too.

NDSU92
12-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Is he that good? Or just fortunate to be calling plays for a really good team?

If I were calling plays for the Bison, I would keep you guessing and the team is good enough that it would probably bail me out too.

Nah, Mess is legit. Other OCs had great games. It’s like that every week it seems with Mess.

BisManBison
12-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Nah, Mess is legit. Other OCs had great games. It’s like that every week it seems with Mess.

Stick is also doing a great job of checking at the line and changing the play based on what the defense is doing. He had the Montana State defense frustrated if you read any of their post game comments.

Kujava23
12-04-2018, 08:41 PM
stick is also doing a great job of checking at the line and changing the play based on what the defense is doing. He had the montana state defense frustrated if you read any of their post game comments.

what he said !!!!!

VirginiaBison
12-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Is he that good? Or just fortunate to be calling plays for a really good team.Probably a serendipitous situation. M is good. He has a great team to work with. He is able to put together players who can execute with game plans that are unique for each opponent. Not every OC who has a good team can use the talent to advantage. Not every OC who as a team of talented individual can get them to execute the game plan. M has both.

CyPanth
12-05-2018, 03:18 AM
Probably a serendipitous situation. M is good. He has a great team to work with. He is able to put together players who can execute with game plans that are unique for each opponent. Not every OC who has a good team can use the talent to advantage. Not every OC who as a team of talented individual can get them to execute the game plan. M has both.

I was skeptical when he took the job with you, but it seems to be working out. Good for you.

BisManBison
12-05-2018, 03:28 AM
I was skeptical when he took the job with you, but it seems to be working out. Good for you.

Because he adapted to our system rather than trying to implement his own. I'm sure he's added his own adaptations, but sticking with (and dare I say running more Power-I than his predecessor) has served him well and endeared him to the fans.

EC8CH
12-05-2018, 03:33 AM
I think the offense has been way less predictable this year. Feels like there are plenty of wrinkles left unused as well. Play calling has been setting up well all season. Last few games should be fun to watch.

El_Chapo
12-05-2018, 03:37 AM
Could be far more explosive, clock mgmt. towards end of halftime questionable all year.

meh, our players are out playing his play calling, which is a good problem to have.

westnodak93bison
12-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Where is the max TE set?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

HerdBot
12-05-2018, 02:19 PM
Messingham has been a rock star this year. He was a rock star last year too when it was the best team rushing attack in our D1 history

westnodak93bison
12-05-2018, 02:27 PM
Messingham has been a rock star this year. He was a rock star last year too when it was the best team rushing attack in our D1 historyThat is what happens when the Bison use the whole width of the field in the rushing attack instead of being stubborn and trying to wear them down between the tackles

semobison
12-05-2018, 02:37 PM
This years offense may be the best we have had during our championship run. They keep defenses guessing and are explosive!

westnodak93bison
12-05-2018, 03:38 PM
No question imho.

TAILG8R
12-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Was a thing of beauty to watch half of the Mt St D follow the back out of the back field into the end zone because they "knew" the wheel route was coming only to have Easton hit Brooks near the line of scrimmage and boundary who then had a open path down to inside the 1 yd line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

GreenfieldBison
12-05-2018, 06:47 PM
I sure wish we could have seen them do what they do to some unsuspecting FBS program. Unfortunately there will probably always be an asterisk next to the 2018 team in the 13 vs 18 best team discussion as a result.

(Of course there is the implicit assumption that this crew will take care of biz through Frisco.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HerdBot
12-05-2018, 06:55 PM
That is what happens when the Bison use the whole width of the field in the rushing attack instead of being stubborn and trying to wear them down between the tackles

Tim Polaseks greatest strength was also his greatest weakness. I actually liked his offense but he tried to run it up the gut repeatedly against teams that were crashing the middle, even against bad matchups.

westnodak93bison
12-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Tim Polaseks greatest strength was also his greatest weakness. I actually liked his offense but he tried to run it up the gut repeatedly against teams that were crashing the middle, even against bad matchups.You just scheduled yourself a scolding by Mr Burgundy

OrygunBison
12-06-2018, 02:56 AM
Tim Polaseks greatest strength was also his greatest weakness. I actually liked his offense but he tried to run it up the gut repeatedly against teams that were crashing the middle, even against bad matchups.

Generally, I agree. That being said, my all time favorite Bison offensive sequence was TP's hurry up power run of the same play about 8 times in a row against SHSU in the playoffs a few years ago. I had a hard time getting the smug smile off of my face for a week or so afterward. It was an absolute thing of beauty.

Bison"FANatic"
12-06-2018, 02:59 AM
Generally, I agree. That being said, my all time favorite Bison offensive sequence was TP's hurry up power run of the same play about 8 times in a row against SHSU in the playoffs a few years ago. I had a hard time getting the smug smile off of my face for a week or so afterward. It was an absolute thing of beauty.

And the crowd getting louder and louder with each play

HerdBot
12-06-2018, 03:36 AM

My favorite moment was vs Jacksonville State when he comes out with a hurry up goalline offense. Can't remember like no receivers, 3 TEs, and a fullback. After the first 5 plays, you could tell they wanted nothing to us!

Bisonator98
12-06-2018, 02:02 PM

I think Tim P's biggest weakness was running the frickin jet sweep against a fast defense like JMU's. :mad:

KNOW IT ALL
12-06-2018, 03:33 PM
I think Tim P's biggest weakness was running the frickin jet sweep against a fast defense like JMU's. :mad:

Agree, trying to beat JMU's skill position players was a mistake. Using the Bison's strength and conditioning and pushing the ball right down the field was in our favor. JMU had some very talented playmakers at their skill positions.

oldmantutters
12-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Agree, trying to beat JMU's skill position players was a mistake. Using the Bison's strength and conditioning and pushing the ball right down the field was in our favor. JMU had some very talented playmakers at their skill positions.I kind of disagree. The jet sweep was a bad idea because, well, it's a fucking jet sweep. But the Dukes were just daring the Bison to pass and they didn't. Not saying the Bison should have gotten pass happy but they should have made JMU respect the pass more than they were. There was no where to run with that many Dukes in the box. And on the other side of the ball they killed the Bison D with delayed handoffs.

HerdBot
12-06-2018, 04:16 PM
I kind of disagree. The jet sweep was a bad idea because, well, it's a fucking jet sweep. But the Dukes were just daring the Bison to pass and they didn't. Not saying the Bison should have gotten pass happy but they should have made JMU respect the pass more than they were. There was no where to run with that many Dukes in the box. And on the other side of the ball they killed the Bison D with delayed handoffs.

The Jet sweep can be very effective. The wide receiver in motion acts as a play action and sometimes the linebacker bites on it. Now if they don't bite on it, it's pretty useless.

Christopher Moen
12-06-2018, 04:51 PM

The jet sweep and power run was getting killed by JMU in that game, but they weren't very good at stopping the misdirection plays. Why they stopped calling them after Grimsley's INT (NDSU had just tied the game at 17) and went back to the plays JMU was well-prepared for will be one of the biggest frustrations I have had as a football fan. NDSU wasn't going to be able to impose their will that day and needed to be more scheming.

Bison 4 Life
12-06-2018, 04:52 PM
The jet sweep and power run was getting killed by JMU in that game, but they weren't very good at stopping the misdirection plays. Why they stopped calling them after Grimsley's INT (NDSU had just tied the game at 17) and went back to the plays JMU was well-prepared for will be one of the biggest frustrations I have had as a football fan. NDSU wasn't going to be able to impose their will that day and needed to be more scheming.

One thing I have appreciated about Messignham, he's not afraid to change when the circumstances warrant.

Son of a Bison
12-06-2018, 05:28 PM

This is spot on. We had momentum and field position after that interception.

I can’t disrespect TP. He has a great football story that isn’t over yet. Many players he coached and recruited are still on this team. He left with class and probably appreciates all NDSU did for him and I would think especially Kleiman.

Christopher Moen
12-06-2018, 09:30 PM
This is spot on. We had momentum and field position after that interception.

I can’t disrespect TP. He has a great football story that isn’t over yet. Many players he coached and recruited are still on this team. He left with class and probably appreciates all NDSU did for him and I would think especially Kleiman.

Yes, TP did a lot of great things for the Bison program and we should remember him more for that.

MAKBison
12-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Yes, TP did a lot of great things for the Bison program and we should remember him more for that.

The dude was logging and had to sell a golf club to have enough gas $$$$ to get here. Knowing how that story ended...mskes me lol

CyPanth
12-11-2018, 12:19 PM
We will soon find out if CK thinks as highly of Messingham as some of you by whether he takes him to K-State or reaches out to the market for a new OC.

23Bison
12-11-2018, 12:24 PM
I feel that with the way the assistants at KStates contracts are stated that Messingham will either go and KState will have to buyout the rest of the existing OC contract or CK sticks with the existing OC for now. That goes for most of the assistants there I believe.

Bison20
12-11-2018, 12:44 PM
We will soon find out if CK thinks as highly of Messingham as some of you by whether he takes him to K-State or reaches out to the market for a new OC.

It might be more if he has the opportunity to bring him rather than not. It will be interesting to see how many coaches they replace as the ones there already have guaranteed contracts. Hopefully they keep alot of their staff and we keep a majority of ours.

bruinbison
12-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Job titles can always change, as can job assignments, so one way or another Coach Klieman can take whoever he wants. If any of the KState assistants don’t like it, they can leave , but they put a lot of contract money at risk.

noryan34
12-11-2018, 01:21 PM
I feel that with the way the assistants at KStates contracts are stated that Messingham will either go and KState will have to buyout the rest of the existing OC contract or CK sticks with the existing OC for now. That goes for most of the assistants there I believe.

Snyder got his assistants a pretty sweet deal. And kind of hamstrung whoever goes in there as new coach. Its one thing to have a multimillion dollar buyout for a head coach. but to spend millions buying out your own coordinators to leave is another thing entirely. To buyout the OC and 2 co-OC your talking north of $3m

With that said I would think the first guy on his list to take with him is the one with Big12 experience already.

EC8CH
12-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Snyder got his assistants a pretty sweet deal. And kind of hamstrung whoever goes in there as new coach. Its one thing to have a multimillion dollar buyout for a head coach. but to spend millions buying out your own coordinators to leave is another thing entirely. To buyout the OC and 2 co-OC your talking north of $3m

With that said I would think the first guy on his list to take with him is the one with Big12 experience already.

Likely scenario is Mess going initially as a position coach to be the OC waiting in the wings.

KNOW IT ALL
12-11-2018, 03:43 PM
It will be very interesting to see how much rope Klieman gets at KSU to start. a veteran FBS coach calls his shots coming in, CK may of been told prior to hiring whom they wish to retain and who can go. WE will all find out soon. I would think he takes Messingham with him if he can, this is the best balanced offense we have seen under Klieman.

Rixen
12-11-2018, 03:47 PM
I just want to state that in my rube opinion, Messingham has been a phenomenal OC and I would be ecstatic if he stayed. I think there is a very small chance of that happening but I would be thrilled.

westnodak93bison
12-11-2018, 04:06 PM
I just want to state that in my rube opinion, Messingham has been a phenomenal OC and I would be ecstatic if he stayed. I think there is a very small chance of that happening but I would be thrilled.Yes he has been great but Easton has also improved a lot. Great combo.

devin45k
12-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Yes he has been great but Easton has also improved a lot. Great combo.

I am very impressed with his improvement when he has been around. I was somewhat of a doubter on Stick but now I am all in on the guy.

CyPanth
12-11-2018, 04:25 PM

So, CK will either hire CM . . . or not hire CM. Thanks for the insight. :facepalm2:

THEsocalledfan
12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
I just want to state that in my rube opinion, Messingham has been a phenomenal OC and I would be ecstatic if he stayed. I think there is a very small chance of that happening but I would be thrilled.

He'd get a huge raise even as a position coach; sad but true. Honestly, best play caller I've ever seen here.

Son of a Bison
12-11-2018, 05:11 PM
He has been a fantastic OC. Honestly he deserves to go. Has B12 and B10 experience (see link below if it works) including OC. Would be great wingman to Kleiman. I think both would like to play Iowa State.

https://gobison.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1118

KNOW IT ALL
12-11-2018, 06:12 PM
Yeah, what KSU pays CM to be O coordinator the Bison aren't going match. I think CM is the one coach Klieman will for sure promote to his staff at KSU. The Bison offense this year is creative enough to install at any conference in FBS as passing is getting more prevalent at all levels of play, in a way that brings the yard per run up as well. Very good mix of plays in the Bison book right now.