PDA

View Full Version : State of NDSU Women's Basketball Program

Stargazer
02-04-2017, 11:06 PM
I've read more stupid posts on this topic alone than I have read on all other sports forums combined. The truth is that NDSU thrived in NCAA Division II in several sports, but has struggled since the move up to Division I. Especially so in Women's basketball. IMHO, NDSU should have remained an NCAA Division II school for all sports. That is the division where NDSU belongs.

Back to the stupid posts: I've read on here where some are actually calling "for the coach's head." Given a deplorable situation that she inherited and as mentioned the program should be in D II, she has done the best that virtually any coach could do.

Fact: Fargo, North Dakota and surrounding area is NOT a high school basketball hotbed.
Fact: The university itself is not highly ranked academically.
Fact: NDSU now has the reputation as one of the worst women's basketball teams in all of Division I.
Fact: It doesn't have a lot of wealthy donors or huge alumni base.
Fact: DeHoff couldn't win here at this level and neither can Walseth. Starting to see a pattern?
Fact: Unless you love winter & cold weather the climate doesn't suit the majority of prospective students.
Fact: In order to win at a high level consistently in any college sport (men's or women's) you have to have the 'horses'. Meaning you have to get some of the top players every recruiting class.
Fact: Fargo not appealing to most high school student-athletes in terms of socially.
Fact: Recruiting top basketball talent (5 star & 4 star players) to come to NDSU is almost impossible for the above reasons and more.

The AD could hire a new coach to replace Walseth but the results are still going to be the same for a myriad of reasons. Also fans here keep using the phrase of "at this level." Well, playing in the Summit League is not remotely like playing for a Power 5 conference such as the B1G conference for example. Like night and day difference there. So there are many "levels" of quality within Division I women's basketball. The Summit League would be at or near the bottom. NDSU should have stayed at the Division II level. No doubt MONEY was at the heart of the administration decision to move up. Hard for me to see how the move up has helped NDSU Women's basketball in particular or NDSU athletics in general.

Last, on the coach thing...I doubt that Geno Auriemma himself could turn this program around as HE (Auriemma) would be the only recruiting selling point. And he is clearly one of the top all time winning college hoops coaches up there with Wooden and Krzyzewski. So get off the coach's back, she doesn't have the players to win consistently playing any kind of Division I basketball, even in the Summit League. Again the top 4 and 5 star players will gravitate to schools that excel in basketball, in academics, have a warm climate, where other great players already play, where there are major social activities to do and on and on. NDSU doesn't have those. Should have stayed in Division II. Proof is in the pudding.

Bison"FANatic"
02-04-2017, 11:30 PM
The milk you made your pudding with is rotten. If you can't see the difference in quality of sports at NDSU, you might want to go find a different past time than watching sports. Offseason trolling starts early this year.

Buffalo.Rider
02-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Appropriate name it seems ... Stargazer.

You are correct that the woman's basketball team at NDSU has struggled for quite a few years now.

There are a lot of factors that go into this. The coach is one factor, but not the only one. To say, as your post suggests, that Coach Walseth should not be held accountable at all is ludicrous. I like her and she might be a better coach than the record of the W BB team suggests. But coaches make a difference one way or another. We aren't losing to LSU, Connecticut, Notre Dame, and Tennessee. We are losing to IUPUI, UT-Rio Grande, UC-Santa Barbara, and so on.

As for your assertion that NDSU should have stayed in Division II for all sports, perhaps you should ask the football, wrestling, or men's and women's Track and Field Programs if they agree. Or the woman's Golf and Softball programs. They have all been able to ratchet up their programs, and being Division I helps with recruiting b/c the athletes know they will get an opportunity to compete with some of the country's best. Good athletes want this, they want to see what they can do, see if they can't be giant killers.

There undoubtedly are many reasons why the W BB program is struggling. But one would be irresponsible IMO to fully exculpate the coaching staff from this result. And the woes of the W BB team is not a reason that the other sports programs should have stayed at Div II. Many of them are getting better and better and it is a pleasure to see this.

HerdBot
02-04-2017, 11:37 PM
The University of South Dakota won the women's NIT last year (beat Oregon by 50) and they are only the 2nd best team in the Dakota's after South Dakota State. Both teams used to be NDSU and UNDs bitches back in the D2 days and have the same climate, worse facilities, and way less entertainment.

We play in a 50 million dollar arena and pay out head coach 150k. Not a hotbed? The Summit League tournament (which is primarily Dakota schools) blows away many so called hot bed areas in attendance.

Overall Ndsu has thrived in D1 and we will get it figured out like the other Dakota schools have. I mean is Vermilion and Brookings some vacation destination? They can do it and so can we.

You are a complete moron.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-04-2017, 11:52 PM
This is a troll. Don't feed it. Let it die the miserable lonely death it deserves. NDSU has done quite well at D1, thank you very much. FCS football, wrestling, track, men's BB. Any one who says otherwise is an idiot who has their head up their *ss.

HerdBot
02-04-2017, 11:54 PM
This is a troll. Don't feed it. Let it die the miserable lonely death it deserves. NDSU has done quite well at D1, thank you very much. FCS football, wrestling, track, men's BB. Any one who says otherwise is an idiot who has their head up their *ss.

If it's troll than Tony should just lock the thread. But someone who obviously spent an hour writing something this ignorant deserves a quick response and then told they are ignorant and told to GFT. Then lock it.

Vet70
02-05-2017, 12:03 AM
Another good candidate for the preposterous statement contest :rofl:.

56BISON73
02-05-2017, 12:11 AM
Granted a few programs arent competing as well as others. BUT-----If he cant see the benefits to the move up then hes just a complete idiot.

Buffalo.Rider
02-05-2017, 12:43 AM
This is Stargazer's first post ever. Maybe we can be a little lenient with him or her.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-05-2017, 01:48 AM
This is Stargazer's first post ever. Maybe we can be a little lenient with him or her.

Why? There's so much blatant BS in that post it's hard to know where to start. Do you want an itemized response?

Sorry, I left Softball and Golf out of my response. I've really enjoyed watching Softball these past few years, especially the postseason. Very much looking forward to it again this year!!

HerdBot
02-05-2017, 02:10 AM
Another good candidate for the preposterous statement contest :rofl:.

I think he's spot on. Its not weve produced any D1 All Americans, Olympians, or NFL players, much less starting NFL QBs.

There is no talent in the northern half of the country. And Fargo is only the 3rd fastest growing small city in the nation.

Bisonator98
02-05-2017, 02:17 AM
Yeah this thread is complete garbage. Ignore the fact that most of NDSU's sports have been very competitive at the D1 level and that UND, USD and SDSU have some very competitive women's BB teams with many players from the same recruiting region. This has UND troll all over it. Probably gueaxsioux alter ego.

thundarsdaddy
02-06-2017, 03:11 PM
If it's troll than Tony should just lock the thread. But someone who obviously spent an hour writing something this ignorant deserves a quick response and then told they are ignorant and told to GFT. Then lock it.

Exactly...the Bison Highway is headed in the right direction, whether its academics or activities. Trouble is sometimes someone's opinion is like a pothole in that highway. Like it or not...we need to just simply hit that pothole at fullspeed, run it over, and never look back.

HandoEX
02-06-2017, 03:23 PM
This is probably the most idiotic post in Bisonville history.

Out of curiosity, what sports have not been highly successful in DI at NDSU? Women's basketball, baseball and men's golf are the only things I can think of that haven't won a DI conference championship.

tjbison
02-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Out of curiosity, what sports have not been highly successful in DI at NDSU? Women's basketball, baseball and men's golf are the only things I can think of that haven't won a DI conference championship.

Hawkee??????

El_Chapo
02-06-2017, 03:57 PM

Baseball went to 9th inning with Oregon State #1 team in nation at National Tourney! we have mens golf?

NDSU womens basketball SUCKS because we cant get Recruits. The Win e Mac girl & wahpeton girl at South Dakota schools instead of here is embarassing, not many AAU girls from Twin Cities, no Klabo, Moton, Haiby etc etc etc

HerdBot
02-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Why? There's so much blatant BS in that post it's hard to know where to start. Do you want an itemized response?

Sorry, I left Softball and Golf out of my response. I've really enjoyed watching Softball these past few years, especially the postseason. Very much looking forward to it again this year!!

It's the offseason so I might as well feed the troll. I'll hep you.

Fact: Fargo, North Dakota and surrounding area is NOT a high school basketball hotbed.

We don't get all of our players from North Dakota high schools. We recruit the region and develop players. (How many teams get ALL their players from their home town? :facepalm:) A bit off topic but basketball in the midwest is very popular. Fact: Summit League tournament which consists of primarily Dakota schools drew 65,000 fans last year in it's tournament. It was the 8th best out of 32 D1 conferences.
http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2016/06/09/2016_release_mens_basketball_attendance_final.pdf

Fact: The university itself is not highly ranked academically.

Fact: Top 100 Research University

Fact: NDSU now has the reputation as one of the worst women's basketball teams in all of Division I.

Fact: NDSU once had the reputation as one of the best dynasties in womens basketball history. Past success or failures have no bearing on future results

Fact: It doesn't have a lot of wealthy donors or huge alumni base.

Fact. They built our new 50 million dollar arena with private money. Same with the track and field facility, Sports Bubble, and countless other projects. Teammakers has gone from under a million to 4.5 million in donations

Fact: DeHoff couldn't win here at this level and neither can Walseth. Starting to see a pattern?

Fact. Dehoff is out of coaching for a reason. Walseth has the youngest team in the nation right now (and in 3 years will have the most experienced) and for the first time ever has an actual 50 million dollar D1 facility that is impresive. We just beat the Gophers, Boise, and Arizona for a recruit so it's starting. The only PATTERN I see is USD and SDSU kicking ass. USD won the Womens NIT and they are the 2nd best team in the conference. If those schools can do it... so can we.

Fact: Unless you love winter & cold weather the climate doesn't suit the majority of prospective students.

I guess the same rings true for the entire Big Ten and they do alright. Besides we primarily recruit the northern half of the country. If your too big of a pussy to deal with some cold, your too soft to play for us in any sport. Although many of the teams in the Summit play in warmer weather but they find themselves behind the Dakota Schools

Fact: In order to win at a high level consistently in any college sport (men's or women's) you have to have the 'horses'. Meaning you have to get some of the top players every recruiting class.

See above. We beat the Gophers, Arizona, and Boise for a recruit so it's starting. All of our other sports we don't have a problem getting "the horses."

Fact: Fargo not appealing to most high school student-athletes in terms of socially.

Almost 15K students annually, would disagree. Fargo is one of the fastest growing metros in the nation and is routinely on most top 50 lists of best college towns.

Fact: Recruiting top basketball talent (5 star & 4 star players) to come to NDSU is almost impossible for the above reasons and more.

The above reasons are bullshit but we are a developmental program. That way you don't need the 4 and 5 star kids. There is more than one way to skin a cat. Funny though... the other Dakota Schools do just fine without 5 star kids. I mean by your definition... IUPUI, Fort Wayne, and Oral Roberts should be amazing yet they get their ass kicked every year by the Dakota Schools

As far as not being successful in Division 1? Wow. Besides 5 D1 Football National Championships, Womens softball going to the Sweet 16, Olympians in Track & Field, Top 25 ranking in Wrestling (now in the Big 12), countless All Americans, 3 trips to the Big Dance in basketball... as well as a win over Oklahoma. Of course don't forget the 9 NFL Players, a starting NFL QB, and regular wins over the Big Ten and Big 12... If you actually believe this you must be retarded.

tony
02-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Post makes sense if you change every occurrence of NDSU and North Dakota State to UND. And Fargo to Grand Forks.

Counterpoint: Softball. Explain that, OP.

WhoRepsTheLurker
02-06-2017, 05:34 PM
Thanks Herdbot. Well said. We'll see if fargrazer comes back ..

Bison"FANatic"
02-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Post makes sense if you change every occurrence of NDSU and North Dakota State to UND. And Fargo to Grand Forks.

Counterpoint: Softball. Explain that, OP.

He hasn't even logged in since he made the post. How can we troll the troll if he won't play along????? :(

HimOleChief
02-07-2017, 01:34 PM
1-It is the Walseth's Fault!!
2-I don't mind that she is losing.
3-But when she can't even come close to going .500 there is a huge problem with her.
4-There is enough local talent in MN, WI, ND, and SD to be at least an around .500 team in a very average D1 conference!
5-Walseth is in over her head and like a fish out of water on the sidelines when running an offense!
6-Why can SDSU or UND recruit from the same talent pool and play tougher opponents non conference and have even better success?-Because those coaches know who to recruit and how to coach!!!

HerdBot
02-07-2017, 03:31 PM
3-But when she can't even come close to going .500 there is a huge problem with her.
4-There is enough local talent in MN, WI, ND, and SD to be at least an around .500 team in a very average D1 conference!
5-Walseth is in over her head and like a fish out of water on the sidelines when running an offense!
6-Why can SDSU or UND recruit from the same talent pool and play tougher opponents non conference and have even better success?-Because those coaches know who to recruit and how to coach!!!

:facepalm:
We have the youngest team in the nation right now. In 3 years, we will have the most experienced team in the nation. Patience. Needed an extreme youth movement because the cupboard was bare and the existing players didn't fit her system. She already is improving recruiting and next year we will have a post player we beat Minnesota, Arizona, and Boise State on in recruiting.

Bisonionette
02-07-2017, 03:37 PM
I'll chime in. About recruiting... I was really excited about Walseth at the beginning. Coming from PSU, and with all the contacts, leads and recruits she must have been in contact with over the previous year or two. I would have though that, at the least, she could have convinced some second tier players on her radar, that couldn't make PSU to come to Fargo. I don't think this happened at all. Maybe she was just lazy at PSU and didn't recruit and research as an assistant should have? I don't know, but her recruiting has been suspect to this point. She grabbed local players, nice to do, but the competition level locally is nothing to brag about.

Da Bison
02-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Does anyone else get the impression that
Stargazer = Star to City = Sioux Volley?

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

tony
02-07-2017, 04:06 PM
:facepalm:
We have the youngest team in the nation right now. In 3 years, we will have the most experienced team in the nation. Patience. Needed an extreme youth movement because the cupboard was bare and the existing players didn't fit her system. She already is improving recruiting and next year we will have a post player we beat Minnesota, Arizona, and Boise State on in recruiting.

And we get some height next year.

Buffalo.Rider
02-07-2017, 04:10 PM
He hasn't even logged in since he made the post. How can we troll the troll if he won't play along????? :(

How do you know that Stargazer is a 'he'?

I had the impression it was not, though impressions are not evidence.

DIBISON
02-07-2017, 05:46 PM

#4 - Very average DI conference?? Did you know that the Summit is currently ranked #10 of 32 DI conferences in the Sagarin ranking?

Bisonionette
02-07-2017, 05:58 PM
#4 - Very average DI conference?? Did you know that the Summit is currently ranked #10 of 32 DI conferences in the Sagarin ranking?

Our conference is held up by jacks and yotes, IUPUI and WIU hold there own with strong pre-conf schedule. So our conference is better than average. Its just that we have some very putrid teams, DU, IPFW and unfortunately ours.

ByeSonBusiness
02-07-2017, 05:59 PM
How do you know that Stargazer is a 'he'?

I had the impression it was not, though impressions are not evidence.

I don't think anyone so passionate about women's basketball in Fargo, ND can possibly be a man.

Bisonator98
02-07-2017, 06:05 PM
I'll chime in. About recruiting... I was really excited about Walseth at the beginning. Coming from PSU, and with all the contacts, leads and recruits she must have been in contact with over the previous year or two. I would have though that, at the least, she could have convinced some second tier players on her radar, that couldn't make PSU to come to Fargo. I don't think this happened at all. Maybe she was just lazy at PSU and didn't recruit and research as an assistant should have? I don't know, but her recruiting has been suspect to this point. She grabbed local players, nice to do, but the competition level locally is nothing to brag about.

First off it's going to be very difficult to draw kids from that far away, especially to a program in as deep a hole as NDSU's. Hopefully if she gets this thing turned around that may happen. I actually thought she might be better at getting the TC kids with her connections down there but so far that hasn't happened either.

Secondly, on your point of local competition, it would seem that UND, USD and SDSU have been fairly successful with local kids. We have several local HS stars from last year that were recruited by all of those teams and Coach Walseth got them to NDSU. Next years class looks very promising as well. So I would say they are recruiting fairly well at this point.

Now the question remains as to whether this coaching staff can coach them up. The jury is still out on that one.

Elephants Dream?
02-07-2017, 10:17 PM
I don't think anyone so passionate about women's basketball in Fargo, ND can possibly be a man.

You need to re-think that sentence.

ByeSonBusiness
02-07-2017, 10:48 PM
You need to re-think that sentence.

...you think there are men that love NDSU lady hoops so much they'd rather have had all sports stay division 2?

Elephants Dream?
02-07-2017, 11:11 PM
No, No.
I meant there are men like myself that are passionate about Bison WBB.
Dozens of gyms, thousands of miles, many hundreds of games, and more, for Bison WBB.

Bisonionette
02-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Rock bottom. Bison lose to m'dons. Goodness.

HerdBot
02-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Rock bottom. Bison lose to m'dons. Goodness.

Had they won, we would have been the same. The youngest team in the nation. We're a bottom team right now. Let's discuss next year. If we don't improve next year, I will be in your boat.

HoopsBison
02-12-2017, 05:47 AM
Had they won, we would have been the same. The youngest team in the nation. We're a bottom team right now. Let's discuss next year. If we don't improve next year, I will be in your boat.

Young or not, today was a terrible loss. This team is just not good.

ByeSonBusiness
02-12-2017, 06:04 AM

I've been listening to the 'let's see next year' deal since I got to college.

Mr Meaty
02-12-2017, 10:24 AM

So you are going to bitch about the new coach trying to turn it around instead of calling for the head of the one that drive the program into the ground. Nice.

Bisonionette
02-12-2017, 02:50 PM
So you are going to bitch about the new coach trying to turn it around instead of calling for the head of the one that drive the program into the ground. Nice.

Yeah. And we are still trying to recover from the bush recession She's nearly completed three years here And this is worse than any Dehoff team. Young or not they lack basic skills Being the best player in a Fargo high school doesnt necessarily equate to d1 competency We may do well at d2.

Mr Meaty
02-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Yeah. And we are still trying to recover from the bush recession She's nearly completed three years here And this is worse than any Dehoff team. Young or not they lack basic skills Being the best player in a Fargo high school doesnt necessarily equate to d1 competency We may do well at d2.

So what answers do you have instead of new coach? What high school players out there are you seeing that will come to NDSU and "save" this team? I think you would prefer them to stay bad to feed some hidden desire you have.

Elephants Dream?
02-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Many of us have been waiting for a dozen years, so buckle your seatbelt.

BisonVifte
02-13-2017, 12:09 AM
It is not always easy to get a bunch of talented players to come to a program that has been bad for so long.

HerdBoy
02-13-2017, 01:04 AM

Jacks do OK with kids from Mitchell and Plank, SD. :hide:

HerdBot
02-13-2017, 01:18 PM

DeHoffs players in her system are a square peg in a round hole.

Dehoffs last year -
6-24 and 2-12 Conference with all her players. This is what she built after all those years

Walseth Year #1 -
11-8 and 7-9 Conference play (most talented team with all DeHoff players and most seniors )

Walseth year #2 -
7-22 and 2-14 conference play with mostly DeHoff players. Insane number of injuries but still competitive despite lack of veteran talent.

Walseth year 3 -
5-20 so far, 3-9 in Conference play

Do the math on how young this team is...
A year ago many of these girls were worrying about their senior prom. Now they just logged a full season as a D1 basketball player. This will pay dividends next year. As far as improving endurance, strength, and skills... That's what the off season is for. Now we are the youngest. In 3 years we will be the most experienced.

Top minutes this year
Sara Jacobson - Freshman
Thundstad Jr - started as true fresh in year #1
Briana Jones - sr transfer
Tyrah Spencer - freshman
Rylee Nudel - freshman
Kennedy Childers - sophmore
Reilly Jacobson - freshman
Anna Goodhope - freshman
Autumn Ogden - freshman

As far as knocking North Dakota players? Dexter Werner seems to do alright. How about AJ Jacobson? How about the fact that our MENS team gets a solid number of players from ND and MN. And let's face it men's basketball is way more competitive

So quit knocking these girls. In the future when they are experienced they will stick their middle finger in your face and say fuck you.

Mr Meaty
02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
We are tied with Denver for 7th place in the conference, a one game lead over FW. We have next two games at home and finish with two on the road. Need to place some solid hoops to finish the regular season. Keep turnover to a minimum (under 12), shoot 45% and have 5+ steals. We can win these games.

dufferole
02-13-2017, 04:08 PM
DeHoffs players in her system are a square peg in a round hole.

Dehoffs last year -
6-24 and 2-12 Conference with all her players. This is what she built after all those years

Walseth Year #1 -
11-8 and 7-9 Conference play (most talented team with all DeHoff players and most seniors )

Walseth year #2 -
7-22 and 2-14 conference play with mostly DeHoff players. Insane number of injuries but still competitive despite lack of veteran talent.

Walseth year 3 -
5-20 so far, 3-9 in Conference play

Do the math on how young this team is...
A year ago many of these girls were worrying about their senior prom. Now they just logged a full season as a D1 basketball player. This will pay dividends next year. As far as improving endurance, strength, and skills... That's what the off season is for. Now we are the youngest. In 3 years we will be the most experienced.

Top minutes this year
Sara Jacobson - Freshman
Thundstad Jr - started as true fresh in year #1
Briana Jones - sr transfer
Tyrah Spencer - freshman
Rylee Nudel - freshman
Kennedy Childers - sophmore
Reilly Jacobson - freshman
Anna Goodhope - freshman
Autumn Ogden - freshman

As far as knocking North Dakota players? Dexter Werner seems to do alright. How about AJ Jacobson? How about the fact that our MENS team gets a solid number of players from ND and MN. And let's face it men's basketball is way more competitive

So quit knocking these girls. In the future when they are experienced they will stick their middle finger in your face and say fuck you.

Thank for sharing these stats. Much appreciated.

1998braves64
02-13-2017, 05:59 PM
I'm willing to give Walseth to end of next year to put together what looks like "progress" because her system appears (granted my WBB viewing has been very lacking since about midway through DeHoff's tenure). I like what I've seen from Walseth's eye test as in what type of plays she's attempting to run compared to DeHoff's which always seem to pass it around until we get to under 10 on the shot clock and shoot a desperation shot. Maybe that's where Walseth's team is now I admittedly haven't seen a game yet this year. Again though as Herdbot pointed out this is a very young team. It's almost guaranteed they were going to not perform to DI standards due to that this year. But she wasn't left much option with where DeHoff's last year team left her and then the players she was left with. If we're still playing this poorly in 365 days then as Herdbot stated will be questioning where the program is headed.

I guess my question is we as fans especially ones without great basketball knowledge (I've never played the game other than recreationally for fun essentially) only can tell by our eye test how the team is playing, the skills they're allowed to show in a game, and stats/scores and W/L records. Other than those items what specifically can you give us either on plays she is coaching, skills they have that would help the team that they're not allowed to use? What exactly? Otherwise how do you turn around a I would say within the bottom 10-15% of DI team in 3 years or less? 4 years possibly. If you keep changing coaches every 3 years you're not going to have any continuity at all and that doesn't breed success unless your attracting top of the line coaches. Seniors would end up playing for 3 different coaches in some cases.

THEsocalledfan
02-13-2017, 06:09 PM
We are tied with Denver for 7th place in the conference, a one game lead over FW. We have next two games at home and finish with two on the road. Need to place some solid hoops to finish the regular season. Keep turnover to a minimum (under 12), shoot 45% and have 5+ steals. We can win these games.

I have not followed closely this year, but folks, 7th place is progress for this team. Let's remember this is not the football program. This team has been bad for so long, we forget just how bad they were.

Bisonionette
02-13-2017, 07:33 PM
7th place is one game out if the cellar The defense is dead last and not close. If after next year we can't win at least ten games. I would hope this would enlighten us all about this coach. Her recruiting her coaching and her people skills All imho are sub standard

Denver sucks. Fort Wayne sucks Our coach is in over her head. And this team needs someone who has a background as a head coach. We took a chance at a rookie coach and it's obvious where we are at. Nuff said. I know u don't like it but whatever

HerdBot
02-13-2017, 07:35 PM
I'm willing to give Walseth to end of next year to put together what looks like "progress" because her system appears (granted my WBB viewing has been very lacking since about midway through DeHoff's tenure). I like what I've seen from Walseth's eye test as in what type of plays she's attempting to run compared to DeHoff's which always seem to pass it around until we get to under 10 on the shot clock and shoot a desperation shot. Maybe that's where Walseth's team is now I admittedly haven't seen a game yet this year. Again though as Herdbot pointed out this is a very young team. It's almost guaranteed they were going to not perform to DI standards due to that this year. But she wasn't left much option with where DeHoff's last year team left her and then the players she was left with. If we're still playing this poorly in 365 days then as Herdbot stated will be questioning where the program is headed.

I guess my question is we as fans especially ones without great basketball knowledge (I've never played the game other than recreationally for fun essentially) only can tell by our eye test how the team is playing, the skills they're allowed to show in a game, and stats/scores and W/L records. Other than those items what specifically can you give us either on plays she is coaching, skills they have that would help the team that they're not allowed to use? What exactly? Otherwise how do you turn around a I would say within the bottom 10-15% of DI team in 3 years or less? 4 years possibly. If you keep changing coaches every 3 years you're not going to have any continuity at all and that doesn't breed success unless your attracting top of the line coaches. Seniors would end up playing for 3 different coaches in some cases.

I'm not a great basketball mind either but when your team is statistically the youngest of one of the youngest in the nation, it will be a struggle. I don't care if Pat Summit is your coach. Since our recent tradition is garbage, the only way we will do well is to develop players. Getting a quality transfer just ain't gonna happen.

I'll say this. Going into the future, Walseth won't have any excuses. Every player on the team next year will be one of her recruits. She has the facilities now.

The next class appears to be pretty good. We even beat some power 5 schools for a player. If these girls bust their ass off this off-season and improve their athleticism and overall skills... We should see a huge improvement next year and it should build to a peak in 3 years when all these freshman are seniors. Walseth is doing it the right way. No short cuts

Mr Meaty
02-13-2017, 07:47 PM
7th place is one game out if the cellar The defense is dead last and not close. If after next year we can't win at least ten games. I would hope this would enlighten us all about this coach. Her recruiting her coaching and her people skills All imho are sub standard

Denver sucks. Fort Wayne sucks Our coach is in over her head. And this team needs someone who has a background as a head coach. We took a chance at a rookie coach and it's obvious where we are at. Nuff said. I know u don't like it but whatever
So provide an answer then? Changing coach? Who will you get or have in mind?

mississippitwins
02-13-2017, 09:43 PM
USD startes one freshman and the first player off the bench is a freshman, she plays 30+minutes a game. IMO there best player is a sophomore. Being young is just an excuse!! When two coaches bolt late summer for new teams the writing is on the wall. Herd rummers Walseth has had some emotional breakdowns. In over her head!! coaching isn't easy

HerdBot
02-13-2017, 10:24 PM
USD startes one freshman and the first player off the bench is a freshman, she plays 30+minutes a game. IMO there best player is a sophomore. Being young is just an excuse!! When two coaches bolt late summer for new teams the writing is on the wall. Herd rummers Walseth has had some emotional breakdowns. In over her head!! coaching isn't easy

Your comparing a team that plays 2 freshman (red shirted too) to a team that has 5 true freshman playing substantial time, 1 sophomore, 1 true Jr, and a 2 year senior. :facepalm:

Yeah that's quite the preposterous statement. That is the youngest team I have ever seen.

Bisonionette
02-13-2017, 11:13 PM
She made her bed She's Gotta sleep in it. She ran Johnson and Weibe off the team. I think yaggie too. She could transitioned easier by redshirt at least two freshman who clearly are not ready. But whatever.

PattyBison
02-13-2017, 11:54 PM
She made her bed She's Gotta sleep in it. She ran Johnson and Weibe off the team. I think yaggie too. She could transitioned easier by redshirt at least two freshman who clearly are not ready. But whatever.

Uh.... She ran off Holly who presumably retired from UND due to injuries? Weren't they the same injuries that she had at NDSU?

Another poster asked what you would do to improve the program. I'm guessing they are looking for something more constructive than firing the coach with no recommendations for a replacement, or refusing to recruit from ND due to inferior talent levels. Anything constructive or just shut the program down?

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 12:11 AM

and if we had them we would still suck except we would be older and have a less bright future. By going young we will potentially be great down the road. Not just mediocre.

Weibe was a DeHoff recruit and averaged 1.9 ppg as a junior. Holly Johnson played 2 games with UND before quitting due to an injury. She would have just burned a roster spot or a scholarship. So explain... HOW did that hurt us?

Not sure on Yaggie though. I see she averaged 6 points per game. Not sure why a player who didn't earn a starting role and left a mediocre team is a reason why she made her own bed. Sometimes things just don't work out. If these players were still here you would just be posting about how shitty they are anyways.

PattyBison
02-14-2017, 12:26 AM
and if we had them we would still suck except we would be older and have a less bright future. By going young we will potentially be great down the road. Not just mediocre.

Weibe was a DeHoff recruit and scored 10 points in 20 games her last year. Holly Johnson played 2 games with UND before quitting due to an injury. She would have just burned a roster spot or a scholarship. So explain... HOW did that hurt us?

Not sure on Yaggie though. I see she averaged 6 points per game. Not sure why a player who didn't earn a starting role and left a mediocre team is a reason why she made her own bed. Sometimes things just don't work out. If these players were still here you would just be posting about how shitty they are anyways.

Yaggie is a nursing student who left to focus on her studies. But I'm confused. Yaggie is from the area. The poster has claimed this area doesn't have d1 talent...

Also, Wiebe did graduate. She chose not to play after graduation. Could it be coaching? Possibly. But it may be someone ready for their next journey.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Yaggie is a nursing student who left to focus on her studies. But I'm confused. Yaggie is from the area. The poster has claimed this area doesn't have d1 talent...

Also, Wiebe did graduate. She chose not to play after graduation. Could it be coaching? Possibly. But it may be someone ready for their next journey.

Didn't know that about Wiebe. Good for her. Although I'm sure if she stuck around Bisonionette would be talking about how she sucked or how she wasn't a D1 talent and we can't recruit. Looking at her stats if she couldn't crack the starting lineup after her junior year averaging 1.9 ppg on a bad team... just saying. That's why they are student athletes.

Tony Almeida
02-14-2017, 12:52 AM
I think we need to give this team 2 more years, next year our bigs will be true freshman...a team with true sophomores and freshman are not going to win any conference championships....but the following year, I say look out.

Patience is a virtue.

Bisonionette
02-14-2017, 01:13 AM
Ok. I'm glad you're happy with this. This is horrible and dare say as bad if not worse as Dehoff. There is so much internal bs going on. Yes patience for this team to suck for two more years of sub ten win seasons then start over again. Coach can't coach. Contract is up a year after next. Period

Mr Meaty
02-14-2017, 01:19 AM
Ok. I'm glad you're happy with this. This is horrible and dare say as bad if not worse as Dehoff. There is so much internal bs going on. Yes patience for this team to suck for two more years of sub ten win seasons then start over again. Coach can't coach. Contract is up a year after next. Period

So what is all the internal bs?

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 01:20 AM

You have the foresight and vision of a teenager. I really hope in your real life your job is task orientated and doesn't require long term thinking or vision. If it is you should strongly consider a different path. Trying to figure out when you turned into an asshole. I used to actually like you.

The only thing I'll agree on is this. If we suck really bad next year and don't improve dramatically ... Which is unlikely... May want to reconsider

Bisonionette
02-14-2017, 01:45 AM
It's only because I actually care and see this thing being run into the ground. I'm out

unbison
02-14-2017, 02:19 AM
It's only because I actually care and see this thing being run into the ground. I'm out

It was in the fucking ground when she got here period end of story dehoff wrecked women's basketball at Ndsu

Mr Meaty
02-14-2017, 02:36 AM

I asked two simple questions. Who would you get or have in mind to replace Walseth? Also what is the internal bs going on?

HoopsBison
02-14-2017, 02:39 AM
While I'm not certain Maren will lead us to where we want to be, she certainly needs more time. The team is obviously very young but are we getting better?? I am not so sure...

At the end of the day the program needs to start eliminating excuses and change the losing culture. The resources are available to this program to be successful.

El_Chapo
02-14-2017, 04:25 AM
Does ANYONE at NDSU ever get FIRED?

football, no
mens bball no
mens baseball no
mens track no
womens vball no
womens bball no (dehoffs contract was up)
womens softball/soccer no

NDSU never fires anyone.

HerdBot
02-14-2017, 06:08 AM
Walseth only has 2 recruiting classes. 2 years ago she got a whopping 2 players. This year it's 7. Why? She got rid of most of DeHoffs rejects who either quit because they had too thin of skin or got less playing time for a reason. Kind of sucks but when a player quits ... They are well... Not passionate or a quitter. Last year was such a disaster we only had 9 players. This year we have 9 freshman and sophomores and we're not getting much out of our seniors

THEsocalledfan
02-14-2017, 11:59 AM
While I'm not certain Maren will lead us to where we want to be, she certainly needs more time. The team is obviously very young but are we getting better?? I am not so sure...

At the end of the day the program needs to start eliminating excuses and change the losing culture. The resources are available to this program to be successful.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. This is not complicated, really. You let Coach finish out her contract and avoid any premature renewals like last time. Folks have to be patient.

56BISON73
02-15-2017, 01:50 AM

You seem to forget that YOU supported DeHoff while she was running this program in the ground. So you really need to STFU!

BFKasper14
02-15-2017, 03:45 AM

It's funny how you keep saying you are done...then when the women lose, you come back to say I told you so. Why don't you go ahead and actually stay true to your word this time. Oh, and internal issues, my ass. Give evidence or quit spouting bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonionette
02-15-2017, 03:17 PM
We should be patient, give our coach a chance to succeed, complete the process. She is doing a wonderful job recruiting. The team moral is superior, and through losing games they are becoming better individuals. Losing builds character, and sets the motivational bar to turn it around. The skill of these girls is raw but I see tremendous improvements over the last three years. The defense is coming along, their footwork, and handles has been greatly coached up to this level. I only hope the administration gives this coach and her new staff the patience and time needed. Missing the tournament last season although devastating, was a blessing in disguise. This year we may get in, and who know where this will catapult this program. In two years we will vie for conference championship, knocking off jacks and yotes on a consistent basis. I personally would like to see Walseth get an extension now, and remove that uncertainty so she can complete the mission and bring us to the promise land. Two years from now the arena will be busting at the seams with rabid fans and true excitement. Climb aboard and enjoy the ride!

HerdBot
02-15-2017, 03:25 PM
We should be patient, give our coach a chance to succeed, complete the process. She is doing a wonderful job recruiting. The team moral is superior, and through losing games they are becoming better individuals. Losing builds character, and sets the motivational bar to turn it around. The skill of these girls is raw but I see tremendous improvements over the last three years. The defense is coming along, their footwork, and handles has been greatly coached up to this level. I only hope the administration gives this coach and her new staff the patience and time needed. Missing the tournament last season although devastating, was a blessing in disguise. This year we may get in, and who know where this will catapult this program. In two years we will vie for conference championship, knocking off jacks and yotes on a consistent basis. I personally would like to see Walseth get an extension now, and remove that uncertainty so she can complete the mission and bring us to the promise land. Two years from now the arena will be busting at the seams with rabid fans and true excitement. Climb aboard and enjoy the ride!

She only has 2 recruiting classes. Her first recruiting class had 2 players and her 2nd class are the true freshman. Had she kept Holly Johnson, her first class would have only had 1 player.

Mr Meaty
02-15-2017, 03:58 PM

Well you still have not answered my past two simple questions of who you would have on your short list of coaches and also the internal BS that is going on. Instead you post something like this that you truly do not believe for what reason????? Can not blame the losing the last two years on this freshman class or next years class. Plus you forgot we will have to beat UND in a couple years as well.

dufferole
02-15-2017, 09:52 PM

When you say out, you really don't mean it do you?

Bisonionette
02-15-2017, 10:29 PM
never, I'm so glad you care enough to ask me though. luv u!

dufferole
02-15-2017, 11:28 PM
never, I'm so glad you care enough to ask me though. luv u!

Listen, as long as you are a Bison fan, your posts are fine. I don't think the women's bb team is very good but they are a Bison team and I will support them, thick and thin. I am not trying to silence you but when you say out......

dufferole
02-15-2017, 11:57 PM
I will add this. Criticism on Bison teams is nothing new here. The football team won 5 natty and some of the posters thought everything the coaches did was wrong. I didn't comment but I did laugh. I guess it comes with the territory of fan sites.

Tony Almeida
02-16-2017, 12:05 AM
We don't always need to have the same opinions on a fan board...in fact, I like little disagreements on here once in a while, keeps this board more interesting...

PattyBison
02-16-2017, 12:08 AM
I will add this. Criticism on Bison teams is nothing new here. The football team won 5 natty and some of the posters thought everything the coaches did was wrong. I didn't comment but I did laugh. I guess it comes with the territory of fan sites.

I agree and I have no issue with criticism. My issue with this poster is the glee they they seem to take with their comments. This combined with the fact that they go radio silent on the rare occasions there is any success with this team is very off-putting. This poster will also not accept one positive thing said by any other posters. Criticsm is one thing. Pure malice and hatred are another.

Mr Meaty
02-16-2017, 12:13 AM
I agree and I have no issue with criticism. My issue with this poster is the glee they they seem to take with their comments. This combined with the fact that they go radio silent on the rare occasions there is any success with this team is very off-putting. This poster will also not accept one positive thing said by any other posters. Criticsm is one thing. Pure malice and hatred are another.

Preach baby preach I am with you.
I have asked two simple questions to that poster and I guess they are too good to answer them.

El_Chapo
02-16-2017, 01:18 AM
bisonottie is a former player. she knows whats up and i agree with her

Bisonionette
02-16-2017, 01:26 AM
Even when I post something full of flowers and positivity I get slammed. Go figure

dufferole
02-16-2017, 02:27 AM
Even when I post something full of flowers and positivity I get slammed. Go figure

Probably a sincerity issue but I might be wrong.

Mr Meaty
02-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Here are some of my thoughts with the women's team:
SJ-logging a lot of minutes, need to spell her some more even a couple of minutes would help her. Get her minutes down to 30 area. SJ also needs to get a shot off when driving into the lane. Looks like she gets caught in to deep and is in trouble.
TT- Help her get her shot off by setting some screens for her.
RN- You are the #1 scoring girl in ND high school history, SHOOT THE DAMN BALL. Also please quit taking one dribble and being stranded with the ball.
BJ- Minutes for BJ, ES and RJ need to start to even out more. RJ can spell the other two more often to help with energy level later in games.
TS- Look for your shoot more often, drives well to the basket but does not always finish. Go in there with courage and draw the foul and go to the line.
KC-Love the energy coming off the bench, has the skills but just needs to settle down just a bit. Little more in control and game will improve tremendously.
AG-When she is on the floor with KC they seem to play well together. AG good shooter and keep looking for that shot. Green light
RJ- As mentioned above needs more minutes in exchange with BJ and ES. I believe she will turn into a excellent post player with more minutes.
ES- Gives good minutes while on the floor, excellent 15 foot shot range. Take it when it is there.
AO-Could also use some more minutes in relief of TT or SJ in combination with TS ad KC.
As an entire team box out better and control the pace of the game. Close out on shooters and do not allow open looks by them. Also recognize game situations. Last night SJ had the ball on the left wing and had an open path to the basket if she beats her defender. But what happened was a NDSU player came from the right baseline corner and brought her defender with. That closed the path SJ could have had for a layup or a foul and free throws. There are several of those aspects within the game. Got a few more game in regular season and looking like at least one in SF. Continue to improve ladies and the wins will come.

td577
02-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Probably a sincerity issue but I might be wrong.

You are not.

semobison
02-18-2017, 08:04 PM
Here are some of my thoughts with the women's team:
SJ-logging a lot of minutes, need to spell her some more even a couple of minutes would help her. Get her minutes down to 30 area. SJ also needs to get a shot off when driving into the lane. Looks like she gets caught in to deep and is in trouble.
TT- Help her get her shot off by setting some screens for her.
RN- You are the #1 scoring girl in ND high school history, SHOOT THE DAMN BALL. Also please quit taking one dribble and being stranded with the ball.
BJ- Minutes for BJ, ES and RJ need to start to even out more. RJ can spell the other two more often to help with energy level later in games.
TS- Look for your shoot more often, drives well to the basket but does not always finish. Go in there with courage and draw the foul and go to the line.
KC-Love the energy coming off the bench, has the skills but just needs to settle down just a bit. Little more in control and game will improve tremendously.
AG-When she is on the floor with KC they seem to play well together. AG good shooter and keep looking for that shot. Green light
RJ- As mentioned above needs more minutes in exchange with BJ and ES. I believe she will turn into a excellent post player with more minutes.
ES- Gives good minutes while on the floor, excellent 15 foot shot range. Take it when it is there.
AO-Could also use some more minutes in relief of TT or SJ in combination with TS ad KC.
As an entire team box out better and control the pace of the game. Close out on shooters and do not allow open looks by them. Also recognize game situations. Last night SJ had the ball on the left wing and had an open path to the basket if she beats her defender. But what happened was a NDSU player came from the right baseline corner and brought her defender with. That closed the path SJ could have had for a layup or a foul and free throws. There are several of those aspects within the game. Got a few more game in regular season and looking like at least one in SF. Continue to improve ladies and the wins will come.

You can say what you want about all the players and it doesn't matter. I have not been critical of the program or the coaching until, ....well, now. This team is not a good defensive team. Their TEAM defense especially in the half court is poor. Players do a poor job denying the passing lanes and are slow in help rotation. TT and SJ are talented players but are not good defensive players at this point. This is not on the players, it's on the coach and coaches and can be improved on. That being said, yes we have offensive issues too but some of that is just the personnel.

Bisonionette
02-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Can't be critical of this program. We have grown to accept. 20 point+ blowouts as the norm

semobison
02-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Can't be critical of this program. We have grown to accept. 20 point+ blowouts as the norm

Big difference between specific constructive criticism and general constant repetitive putdowns!

BFKasper14
02-18-2017, 10:00 PM

I thought you were leaving.

Bisonionette
02-18-2017, 10:02 PM
I thought you were leaving.

No because aggravating u is to easy and so stimulating

HerdBot
02-19-2017, 12:12 AM

This team of freshman I will accept blowouts. If we are still getting blown out in conference play next year, I will be very critical of the players (who didn't put in the work) and the coaches.

Mr Meaty
02-19-2017, 01:13 AM
You can say what you want about all the players and it doesn't matter. I have not been critical of the program or the coaching until, ....well, now. This team is not a good defensive team. Their TEAM defense especially in the half court is poor. Players do a poor job denying the passing lanes and are slow in help rotation. TT and SJ are talented players but are not good defensive players at this point. This is not on the players, it's on the coach and coaches and can be improved on. That being said, yes we have offensive issues too but some of that is just the personnel.
I will agree that defensively we are very poor. IUPUI was all over us and made our shots tough. There are plenty of areas to improve on. If the team is not watching film and being shown what they are doing wrong , they need to see the tape. This off-season will be very important to the improvement of the program.

td577
02-19-2017, 01:17 AM

So you are nothing more than a troll.

56BISON73
02-19-2017, 02:12 AM

May be you should talk to your girl friend about stimulation?

semobison
02-19-2017, 02:05 PM
I will agree that defensively we are very poor. IUPUI was all over us and made our shots tough. There are plenty of areas to improve on. If the team is not watching film and being shown what they are doing wrong , they need to see the tape. This off-season will be very important to the improvement of the program.

Team defense is something that is taught and worked on during the season every day in practice. My concern is that Coach is in her 3rd year and has a team that has issues playing sound fundamental defense.

Mr Meaty
02-19-2017, 02:10 PM
Team defense is something that is taught and worked on during the season every day in practice. My concern is that Coach is in her 3rd year and has a team that has issues playing sound fundamental defense.

Agreed, defense will keep you in games. Needs to be a huge area of ficus this off season and next year. Need to know how to play man and different zones. Defense is fun to play.

semobison
02-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Agreed, defense will keep you in games. Needs to be a huge area of ficus this off season and next year. Need to know how to play man and different zones. Defense is fun to play.

Playing good defense takes intensity and hard work. I knew a coach who would not implement any zone defenses until he felt his teams was playing good sound fundamental man to man defense. Team defensive drills in practice are probably the least fun thing for players in practice but is something that can only be worked on during the season in practice. I'm not saying the team is not playing hard. What I'm saying is their fundamental man defense is poor. After Saturday's game this would be my first priority in Monday's practice. My big concern is...maybe our staff does a poor job of teaching/coaching defense. Or they don't spend enough time in practice working on it. Either way, to be successful, this needs to improve!

Mr Meaty
02-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Do they have the right personnel to practice against? Hear me out first, in high school we had older guys in the community practice against us on sundays at open gym. Playing against the b squad younger players were not helping us. Who do the ladies practice against?

Bisonionette
02-19-2017, 08:34 PM
The practice with the gray squad. Guys who play yard basketball. It's a good idea. Really.

Mr Meaty
02-19-2017, 09:37 PM
The practice with the gray squad. Guys who play yard basketball. It's a good idea. Really.

I did not know that. Thank you
That should be helping but don't see it yet.

Herd
02-20-2017, 12:34 PM
We are young, and that's a concern. But the lack of athleticism on the roster is a much larger concern. In general, we are at the bottom of the Summit with regard to speed and athleticism. We got good size coming in, but where are the athletes?

semobison
02-20-2017, 10:10 PM
I agree, you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. X and 0 all you want but good recruiting is still the major component of a successful college athletic program.

HoopsBison
02-20-2017, 10:34 PM
We are young, and that's a concern. But the lack of athleticism on the roster is a much larger concern. In general, we are at the bottom of the Summit with regard to speed and athleticism. We got good size coming in, but where are the athletes?

I watched a little bit of the past IUPUI game and came away with the same thoughst. Also seems nearly every team is better conditioned then us, we constantly took tired on the floor.

HerdBot
02-21-2017, 12:52 AM
Playing good defense takes intensity and hard work. I knew a coach who would not implement any zone defenses until he felt his teams was playing good sound fundamental man to man defense. Team defensive drills in practice are probably the least fun thing for players in practice but is something that can only be worked on during the season in practice. I'm not saying the team is not playing hard. What I'm saying is their fundamental man defense is poor. After Saturday's game this would be my first priority in Monday's practice. My big concern is...maybe our staff does a poor job of teaching/coaching defense. Or they don't spend enough time in practice working on it. Either way, to be successful, this needs to improve!

Gotta walk before you run.

thundarsdaddy
02-21-2017, 03:34 PM
I am no expert at all in the NDSU womens b-ball team and/or program. All we do is get to a few games each year(we are 3.5 hours from Fargo) and support the team and players. We do make more of the Men's game since we do have season tickets for those, but we always record the Womens games if they are on TV, and we cant watch live. What I see is hustle. Sure they are out matched height-wise, and in b-ball that can get damned frustrating. The ladies also give up experience to almost every team they play...yet they hustle. To me, as this season has gone on, they are getting better at all aspects of the game, including teamwork, so we simply support this squad as if we had a kid playing on the team, thats what fans do. Its perfectly fine to talk about anything that will make the team and program better, and this discussion has been just fine...looking to see improvement. But just as the Bison Men, this year, hit a point where things just seemed to "click" offensively, and they actually started games a lot better, that too will happen with the women. NDSU can't send us fans out an email, or post on facebook, that TONIGHT...the Lady Bison will hit their stride!!! Aint that simple is it? So we simply continue to just support, and go to as many games as time, road conditions and stage 4 cancer allows, and cheer on the team. Go Bison and I dont really give a shit which Bison team!!!

Bisonionette
02-21-2017, 03:57 PM
That's nice but this isnt parks and rec basketball. This is division 1 NCAA basketball, where results count. Some one above mentioned athleticism,or lack of. I said the same thing as the season started. That we are so slow especially on defense it looks like we are running in mud. I think over 21 losses so far this season 12 have been by 20+. And we're not even playing half decent teams. So it's nice you see hustle. They need to be coached. Even if they can't make a basket they could at the least be able to play defense Haven't seen that either as we are dead last in points allowed. Come on coach them please! The girls and the fans deserve better.

HerdBot
02-21-2017, 04:34 PM
That's nice but this isnt parks and rec basketball. This is division 1 NCAA basketball, where results count. Some one above mentioned athleticism,or lack of. I said the same thing as the season started. That we are so slow especially on defense it looks like we are running in mud. I think over 21 losses so far this season 12 have been by 20+. And we're not even playing half decent teams. So it's nice you see hustle. They need to be coached. Even if they can't make a basket they could at the least be able to play defense Haven't seen that either as we are dead last in points allowed. Come on coach them please! The girls and the fans deserve better.

To be good in D1 you need to build the program the right way.

We have plenty of athleticism but it hasn't been developed yet. These girls haven't even had a year in the weight room or had the speed and agility training. They will benefit greatly from a full off season. This is the same formula our other sports use. We develop athletes because we can't recruit 4 star kids. Patience. Now they play with heart and are skilled shooters who plays with heart. When we are experience and they become more athletic, we will be excellent.

ByeSonBusiness
02-21-2017, 10:11 PM
To be good in D1 you need to build the program the right way.

We have plenty of athleticism but it hasn't been developed yet. These girls haven't even had a year in the weight room or had the speed and agility training. They will benefit greatly from a full off season. This is the same formula our other sports use. We develop athletes because we can't recruit 4 star kids. Patience. Now they play with heart and are skilled shooters who plays with heart. When we are experience and they become more athletic, we will be excellent.

I don't watch ladies athletics much, but don't they tend to come to school pretty much finished products?

56BISON73
02-21-2017, 11:09 PM
I don't watch ladies athletics much, but don't they tend to come to school pretty much finished products?

That is a very poor attempt at trolling. Even for you. :facepalm:

Bisonator98
02-22-2017, 01:31 AM

Not sure if serious......but if so....:rofl:

HerdBot
02-22-2017, 02:23 AM

Only power 5 schools recruit kids who are close to a finished product. Heck look at Mike Daum. Guy was a bean pole and not strong and now he's one of the best players in D1. Didn't happen overnight. Look at Ben Woodside. As a true freshman he couldn't buy a jump shot and he ended up being one of our best ever.

ByeSonBusiness
02-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Only power 5 schools recruit kids who are close to a finished product. Heck look at Mike Daum. Guy was a bean pole and not strong and now he's one of the best players in D1. Didn't happen overnight. Look at Ben Woodside. As a true freshman he couldn't buy a jump shot and he ended up being one of our best ever.

I was referring to the ladies. Not the boyz 2 men.

SlickVic
02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Harmony burns from tri state tigerz sign er up de hoff------Amy Ruley wood have a field day with all this local talent floating around we got Irwin the baseball pitcher from Moorhead high harmony burns instead we always seem 2 end up with second rate posters on bisonville instead of basketball players-----I say bring amy back enough already

Mr Meaty
02-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Here is one NDSU should be looking at for the class of 2019 , Katie Entzi 6' sophomore from Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier. She handles the ball well for her height. Good basketball IQ.

unbison
02-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Harmony burns from tri state tigerz sign er up de hoff------Amy Ruley wood have a field day with all this local talent floating around we got Irwin the baseball pitcher from Moorhead high harmony burns instead we always seem 2 end up with second rate posters on bisonville instead of basketball players-----I say bring amy back enough already

There you are!

tjbison
02-22-2017, 10:40 PM

He speaks!!!!!!!

Gully
02-23-2017, 12:20 AM

He's alive!

Elephants Dream?
02-23-2017, 01:47 AM
Another loss tonight in Omaha 90-64.

Bisonionette
02-23-2017, 02:37 AM
20+ point loss seems to be ok and acceptable. Not just that defense gives up 90? Sheeesh

HerdBot
02-23-2017, 03:28 AM
I was referring to the ladies. Not the boyz 2 men.

Doesn't matter. An 18 year old college girl is about as developed as an 18 year old college guy

HerdBot
02-23-2017, 03:31 AM
20+ point loss seems to be ok and acceptable. Not just that defense gives up 90? Sheeesh

We will probably lose our last game by 20 and it won't change anyone's opinion. If it's still happening by conference play next year than we can have this discussion. Of course you're actually hoping they will suck because you seem to get joy from losing

Bisonionette
02-23-2017, 04:07 AM
We will probably lose our last game by 20 and it won't change anyone's opinion. If it's still happening by conference play next year than we can have this discussion. Of course you're actually hoping they will suck because you seem to get joy from losing

What is your measure for success in conference next season? The reason I ask is cuz you will say the same damn thing next season. We are young and when these new freshman develop and get another year of coaching we'll be successful This team hasn't improved a lick since the season started. In fact their defense is worse than ever. They aren't getting the coaching they need. I'm sorry but its the truth. This is walseth first team as a head coach. Maybe she should have started out at a d2 d3 or naia school to get her feet wet This is too much

HerdBot
02-23-2017, 04:41 AM
What is your measure for success in conference next season? The reason I ask is cuz you will say the same damn thing next season. We are young and when these new freshman develop and get another year of coaching we'll be successful This team hasn't improved a lick since the season started. In fact their defense is worse than ever. They aren't getting the coaching they need. I'm sorry but its the truth. This is walseth first team as a head coach. Maybe she should have started out at a d2 d3 or naia school to get her feet wet This is too much

My expectations are to be a. 500 team in conference play and peak during the tournament. The team hasnt gotten worse. They are physically worn down and teams are adjusting. Going from a high school schedule directly to a full travel college schedule without a full off-season of training will physically wipe you out. Especially if your not used to long travel. These ladies look tired. They need to bust their ass off harder than they ever this off-season because they are obviously not in good enough shape or strong enough to hold up over a full D1 season. That's part of the reason why they make all these stupid mental mistakes. They have all the tools at their disposal. If they don't use them - the only people to blame is the players. (and Walseth for recruiting them)

With that being said let's see how hard they work this off-season.

If we don't go 500 in conference play next year I'll have some doubts about Walseth and the type of players she recruits. Well have to wait and see

HoopsBison
02-23-2017, 04:45 AM
My expectations are to be a. 500 team in conference play and peak during the tournament. The team hasnt gotten worse. They are physically worn down and teams are adjusting. Going from a high school schedule directly to a full travel college schedule without a full off-season of training will physically wipe you out. Especially if your not used to long travel. These ladies look tired. They need to bust their ass off harder than they ever this off-season because they are obviously not in good enough shape or strong enough to hold up over a full D1 season. That's part of the reason why they make all these stupid mental mistakes. They have all the tools at their disposal. If they don't use them - the only people to blame is the players. (and Walseth for recruiting them)

With that being said let's see how hard they work this off-season.
They certainly haven't gotten any better from the start of the season to the end, that's a concern for me.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

56BISON73
02-23-2017, 04:46 AM

I will ask you again. Where do you derive your expertise? How can we take your opinion with any credibility when you do nothing more than spout off like a bar room know it all. So are you a former NDSU player? Former coach? Why you want to hide is very telling.

Bisonionette
02-23-2017, 07:06 AM
So they are worse now because they're tired. Oh Goodness. That's the reason. We can dream of an 8-8 season

Mr Meaty
02-23-2017, 10:56 AM
I was hoping for more improvement during the season it appears it has been minimal at best. The off-season and conditioning will go a long way toward improving. Yes Walseth is also finding her way. I have seen some in game improvement on her part from the beginning of the season. A 500 conference record would show and be a huge improvement. We are not going from 8th place team in the conference to the top dog next year. Next season the seat will get hot for Walseth sooner than later.

Mr Meaty
02-23-2017, 11:08 AM
Conference Standings
NDSU 11-4
USD 10-4
Omaha 8-7
Denver 8-7
Fort Wayne 7-7
SDSU 7-8
IUPUI 6-8
WIU 5-9
ORU 4-12

Here is the men's updated standings after last night. A 500 record is in play for about 5 teams by year end. FYI

1998braves64
02-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Conference Standings
NDSU 11-4
USD 10-4
Omaha 8-7
Denver 8-7
Fort Wayne 7-7
SDSU 7-8
IUPUI 6-8
WIU 5-9
ORU 4-12

Here is the men's updated standings after last night. A 500 record is in play for about 5 teams by year end. FYI

And wasn't ipfw the favorite to win the title this year?

Mr Meaty
02-23-2017, 11:32 AM
And wasn't ipfw the favorite to win the title this year?

Yes yes they were.

Mr Meaty
02-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Here is one NDSU should be looking at for the class of 2019 , Katie Entzi 6' sophomore from Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier. She handles the ball well for her height. Good basketball IQ.

E-K-M defeated Carrington last night in the regional final. Game went to OT. I mentioned Katie since she is a young player with skills. She does need to speed up her game some and improve but again she is only a sophomore. Her dad was a good player and I am sure he is helping her improve. She will be playing next week in the state tourney and hope to see her on tv. Two more years in high school for her and see how much she improved. I personally think she will. Basketball IQ is to good.

HerdBot
02-24-2017, 02:35 PM
So they are worse now because they're tired. Oh Goodness. That's the reason. We can dream of an 8-8 season

Wow. So your completely discrediting the NDSU Strength and Conditioning program. Fact. We have six true freshman on our roster who less than a year ago were playing in high school. Most true freshman redshirt and go through a rigorous strength and conditioning program and come in their 2nd season stronger, faster, and more athletic. (not to mention better players) These girls went straight from high school to college. In their high school careers, they played about 20 games and never left the state. This year it's closer to 30 and they travel over 3 time zones against better athletes who are typically 3-4 years older than them without the benefit of our strength and conditioning training. If you can't comprehend that... this says it all :facepalm:

And we're not dreaming of a 8-8 season. We are dreaming about building a program the right way and improving so in in 2 years we can be good enough to compete for a conference championship. In your delusional world - were just going to go out and recruit a bunch of 5 star players or some magic coach will snap their fingers and true freshman will magically perform like veterans. Reality check. Not gonna happen. Nobody in our conference goes out and gets 5 star players. They developed their programs the right way.

Bisonionette
02-24-2017, 03:43 PM
if that's all the basketball they played there junior and senior years in high school then I am worried. Most at this level play AAU basketball, and travel all over the country in NCAA viewing tournaments, sometimes playing two games a day at these tournaments. week over week and and it's basketball 12 months out of the year. And if you've ever seen NCAA viewing tournaments. it's not about slowing the ball down. It's extremely fast paced with everyone trying to outdo the other. Don't buy it being tired. I realize your in bed with MW which is fine. I'm not asking for magic, I asking for a coach to coach, These kids are horrible on defense, again, if they can't make a basket, they should be at least be able to demonstrate basic footwork and fundamental defensive posture.

bisonpride4ever
02-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Agreed. It's bullshit that we haven't got a Geno Auriemma type coach and haven't beat UCONN yet. Unacceptable. We must do better.

Bisonionette
02-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Agreed. It's bullshit that we haven't got a Geno Auriemma type coach and haven't beat UCONN yet. Unacceptable. We must do better.

So profound, and characterized by such quick and inventive verbal humor

bisonpride4ever
02-24-2017, 06:45 PM
So profound, and characterized by such quick and inventive verbal humor

I'm just saying that you are right. Team sucks, coaches suck, recruiting sucks, and everything involved with the program sucks. We need a team full of Holly Johnsons and it must be led by Carolyn DeHoff and other clones of her. Hell, let's make you director of women's basketball operations. If not, then NAIA they must go.

HerdBot
02-24-2017, 08:11 PM
if that's all the basketball they played there junior and senior years in high school then I am worried. Most at this level play AAU basketball, and travel all over the country in NCAA viewing tournaments, sometimes playing two games a day at these tournaments. week over week and and it's basketball 12 months out of the year. And if you've ever seen NCAA viewing tournaments. it's not about slowing the ball down. It's extremely fast paced with everyone trying to outdo the other. Don't buy it being tired. I realize your in bed with MW which is fine. I'm not asking for magic, I asking for a coach to coach, These kids are horrible on defense, again, if they can't make a basket, they should be at least be able to demonstrate basic footwork and fundamental defensive posture.

So now your saying that high school kids strength and conditioning is the same as D1 college. And your also implying that D1 basketball is equally as physical as high school basketball when they are competing against 16 year old kids vs 21 year olds. Will you please put the dunce hat on and sit in the corner.

Bisonionette
02-24-2017, 08:17 PM
So now your saying that high school kids strength and conditioning is the same as D1 college. And your also implying that D1 basketball is equally as physical as high school basketball when they are competing against 16 year old kids vs 21 year olds. Will you please put the dunce hat on and sit in the corner.

insults? tsk tsk... I wont call you an idiot or anything like that. but u defy laws or logic and intellect. three seasons in and a six win total in the third year? and it will take miracle to get to ten wins next season. Thank goodness denver and fort wayne are in our conference, that's 4.

So stop acting like an ass and enjoy/participate in the discussion. sheeesh

Bison"FANatic"
02-24-2017, 08:58 PM
I would just like to know which is it? In the past you have cut on ND high school basketball as not being good and not producing d1 talent but now you are saying the girls should be ready for a full D1 season and be at top form in their freshman year without the benefit of having a year of experience at the D1 level right out of ND high school ball.

And you never answered the question when you were asked earlier who we should hire. So who is it?

HerdBot
02-25-2017, 01:03 AM
insults? tsk tsk... I wont call you an idiot or anything like that. but u defy laws or logic and intellect. three seasons in and a six win total in the third year? and it will take miracle to get to ten wins next season. Thank goodness denver and fort wayne are in our conference, that's 4.

So stop acting like an ass and enjoy/participate in the discussion. sheeesh

I think I'm just going to save my old posts and copy and paste them because you clearly don't remember it comprehend anything and I am sick of saying the same shit over and over. You know, like hitting the reset button with 6 true freshman and having all DeHoff players.

You must have some sort of dementia or maybe early onset Alzheimer's. Or maybe your just not very smart.

Please put your dunce hat back on and go back to the corner. And throw on a ball gag while your at it so you can't spew verbal diarrhea or better yet duct tape your fingers together so you can't type.

totoinfl
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
I would just like to know which is it? In the past you have cut on ND high school basketball as not being good and not producing d1 talent but now you are saying the girls should be ready for a full D1 season and be at top form in their freshman year without the benefit of having a year of experience at the D1 level right out of ND high school ball.

And you never answered the question when you were asked earlier who we should hire. So who is it?

I have to go with the fanatic here. As a father of two D1 athletes (neither was basketball), one male and one female, I will tell you the female who was always a 3 sport athlete and one of the top 10 or 15 in the state of Florida in her events, she was not ready for the strength needs, the mental endurance needs and the the total skill set to be a successful D1 track athlete as a freshman...that said, as a senior she set the outside mark in the LJ and qualified for ECAC. The amount of strength and conditioning she did after the first year made all the difference. The technical skills increased at the same time. The other was a soccer player who was also all state as a senior as a sweeper (6'2" 180)...he quickly found out in college that forwards and midfielders were still sprinting at nearly full speed in the 80th minute and conditioning was a need. Then dealing with 6'2" and taller forwards going 200 pounds in the box was another strength and skill need. Finally it was the mental stress for both of going from practicing for 2 hours 5 days pre-season (maybe 2 or 3 weeks the way the HSAA allows it) and maybe 2 or 3 days week during the season to 3 hours 5 days plus getting your lifting in plus technical practice after or on weekends for basically the entire year and then still practicing at least 3 or 4 days a week in season. FYI Bisonette, whomever you are, one of daughter's friends and a competitor for 6 years was a 6'5" center who got a full ride to Duke. She red shirted her freshman year because of the conditioning and strength need...then she got better each year...currently in 5th or 6th season in the WNBA.

Mr Meaty
02-27-2017, 07:51 PM
I have to go with the fanatic here. As a father of two D1 athletes (neither was basketball), one male and one female, I will tell you the female who was always a 3 sport athlete and one of the top 10 or 15 in the state of Florida in her events, she was not ready for the strength needs, the mental endurance needs and the the total skill set to be a successful D1 track athlete as a freshman...that said, as a senior she set the outside mark in the LJ and qualified for ECAC. The amount of strength and conditioning she did after the first year made all the difference. The technical skills increased at the same time. The other was a soccer player who was also all state as a senior as a sweeper (6'2" 180)...he quickly found out in college that forwards and midfielders were still sprinting at nearly full speed in the 80th minute and conditioning was a need. Then dealing with 6'2" and taller forwards going 200 pounds in the box was another strength and skill need. Finally it was the mental stress for both of going from practicing for 2 hours 5 days pre-season (maybe 2 or 3 weeks the way the HSAA allows it) and maybe 2 or 3 days week during the season to 3 hours 5 days plus getting your lifting in plus technical practice after or on weekends for basically the entire year and then still practicing at least 3 or 4 days a week in season. FYI Bisonette, whomever you are, one of daughter's friends and a competitor for 6 years was a 6'5" center who got a full ride to Duke. She red shirted her freshman year because of the conditioning and strength need...then she got better each year...currently in 5th or 6th season in the WNBA.

:judges: Thank you for this great post with some actual examples.
While this does not help us this year, it does provide some hope for improvement next year. If not improvement next year then we could be deeper in trouble than thought.

Mr Meaty
03-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Congrats Sarah for making the Summit League All Newcomer Team.

El_Chapo
03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
maren on radio on whats shes doing to get this team ready.... "I had all the girls wrote down 2 underdog stories and we will read and discuss them on the bus down"

WHHHAAATTTT??? that would be the last straw for me. wow

Bisonionette
03-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Nice frosh season Sarah.

El_Chapo
03-04-2017, 09:14 PM
sweet summit league game thread.

we didnt even go, went to bwws again.

all i needed to see. down 15 and we are working the ball down low to our center instead of shooting 3s with 3 min left hahaha

southcliffbison
03-07-2017, 04:30 AM
Nice frosh season Sarah.

Wow, can't believe no one has bumped this thread since Saturday. "State of Women's basketball " is the title of this thread. I saw their last performance in the tourney against IUPUI. To say I wasn't impressed is an understatement. Next season is Walseth's 4th year. Can we say her seat is getting warm???? Yes ??? How about her ass is getting hot??? There were times I witnessed four players back after a shot and still there was a pass by IUPUI that lead to a layup. Really???? Bison players appear slow footed......really, I'm serious.......like they weren't in very good "condition". Sarah J is a very good player......she's got that grit, that will......but, Jesus, she needs some help. She played the entire game without a break. Another 6 and 24 season should be the death knell for Walseth. It's time to show some production; give Bison women's BB fans some hope. If Walseth doesn't make the tourney next year, it should be a no-brainer. A one and done should also be a no-brainer. Bison women's BB, in a word, "sucks". It's time to go in a new direction.........how about hiring a goddamn man for a change. At least give a guy a shot for a change. It can't get any worse, or is NDSU so PC that it's not in the cards. Pathetic, really.

HerdBot
03-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Wow, can't believe no one has bumped this thread since Saturday. "State of Women's basketball " is the title of this thread. I saw their last performance in the tourney against IUPUI. To say I wasn't impressed is an understatement. Next season is Walseth's 4th year. Can we say her seat is getting warm???? Yes ??? How about her ass is getting hot??? There were times I witnessed four players back after a shot and still there was a pass by IUPUI that lead to a layup. Really???? Bison players appear slow footed......really, I'm serious.......like they weren't in very good "condition". Sarah J is a very good player......she's got that grit, that will......but, Jesus, she needs some help. She played the entire game without a break. Another 6 and 24 season should be the death knell for Walseth. It's time to show some production; give Bison women's BB fans some hope. If Walseth doesn't make the tourney next year, it should be a no-brainer. A one and done should also be a no-brainer. Bison women's BB, in a word, "sucks". It's time to go in a new direction.........how about hiring a goddamn man for a change. At least give a guy a shot for a change. It can't get any worse, or is NDSU so PC that it's not in the cards. Pathetic, really.

If we're 6-24 next year Walseth should be shit canned

Elephants Dream?
03-07-2017, 08:27 PM
WIU wins the Summit Champ. game over IUPUI 77-69 in overtime.

Mr Meaty
03-07-2017, 08:36 PM
That is good for them. Top 2 teams made it into the finals and went ot to decide it. To bad the mens side could not have been the 1 vs #2 tonight for the title.

Bisonionette
03-07-2017, 08:53 PM
IUPUI should do well in WNIT. WIU will be a quick exit.

mississippitwins
11-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Bisonionette View Post
at least we can beat the poop of d1 now.... that's an improvement... yes?

Yes it is actually. We were losing to D2 schools not long ago.

We still would be losing to D2 schools if scheduled average teams.