PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a coach on staff who is ready to be head coach?

THEsocalledfan
01-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Let's face it, it is a matter of time until Coach K. moves on; it will always be this way at NDSU; we just have to accept it.

With that said, who, internally, would be ready to take the reigns if needed? When Coach Bohl moved on, I think we all knew Coach K was ready so there was no need to panic. However, I will admit I am currently not sure we have someone on staff who is ready, but I obviously don't know the inner program details like someone like Burgandy.

So, discuss. Is anyone ready now? Anyone in the next few years who could be ready?

Bison 4 Life
01-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't hurt us to look outside. Klieman is a natural. I don't see that in anyone we have on staff right now.

CaBisonFan
01-18-2017, 06:11 PM
I could see Brent Vigen coming back as HC.

TransAmBison
01-18-2017, 06:28 PM
I like sticking with defensive guys for the HC position. Wondering if Entz would be ready. If not, I wouldn't be opposed to looking at Hedberg. Brent Vigen would be worth a look as well. I do like keeping it amongst the crew that has seen first hand the plan that built this dynasty.

CaBisonFan
01-18-2017, 06:32 PM
I agree that Entz should be considered when the time comes.

Opinions please...have most of the college HC positions been filled by now...or could we still lose Klieman this year?

Mr. Burgundy
01-18-2017, 06:42 PM
In my opinion, CK would consider a move to a perfect fit. Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota would be in that category. He isn't going to the MAC. The MAC is worse than the Valley just pays more, not a step up in football. Those regional positions may value what NDSU has done more than other bigtime programs. LIke Tressel going from YSU to OSU. If he did that at a different school would OSU have hired him? Not sure. CK is unique, a family man who cares about where his kids are in school, is active in their lives, has moved them once at a young age and absolutely loves and respects the position he has. Money isn't everything. I am concerned less about him leaving than I am our staff being yanked after all of this success. I have said many times, I would LOVE it if we had another million in staff budget. Get Chris to something like 750K and then bump every other guy $50,000 to $150,000. So our staff is on par with San Jose State, MAC, Mountain West, etc. That would solve this. We do everything else like FBS. We spend a billion to get to Frisco as a group, pass the hat for a million would happen quick to retain (and hire) great people.

THEsocalledfan
01-18-2017, 06:55 PM
In my opinion, CK would consider a move to a perfect fit. Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota would be in that category. He isn't going to the MAC. The MAC is worse than the Valley just pays more, not a step up in football. Those regional positions may value what NDSU has done more than other bigtime programs. LIke Tressel going from YSU to OSU. If he did that at a different school would OSU have hired him? Not sure. CK is unique, a family man who cares about where his kids are in school, is active in their lives, has moved them once at a young age and absolutely loves and respects the position he has. Money isn't everything. I am concerned less about him leaving than I am our staff being yanked after all of this success. I have said many times, I would LOVE it if we had another million in staff budget. Get Chris to something like 750K and then bump every other guy $50,000 to $150,000. So our staff is on par with San Jose State, MAC, Mountain West, etc. That would solve this. We do everything else like FBS. We spend a billion to get to Frisco as a group, pass the hat for a million would happen quick to retain (and hire) great people.

Thanks for the comments, Burgundy. You are not the only one who has mentioned the perfect fit things on CK, but I do think that fit if going to happen one way or another. You have any opinions on if you think someone else on this staff is ready?

56BISON73
01-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Nobody I can think of for this level.

ndsubison1
01-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Not saying it would happen but what if a big time program like an Alabama, LSU, Clemson, USC, Ohio St offered Klieman as a DC?

I dont see anyone on staff as of now who is ready to be head coach of our program. Maybe a lower team. I wouldnt be shocked to see Entz leave soon.

Bisonator98
01-18-2017, 07:08 PM
On the current staff? Hedberg would be the only one IMO.

THEsocalledfan
01-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Not saying it would happen but what if a big time program like an Alabama, LSU, Clemson, USC, Ohio St offered Klieman as a DC?

I dont see anyone on staff as of now who is ready to be head coach of our program. Maybe a lower team. I wouldnt be shocked to see Entz leave soon.

You make a great point about coordinators. What if Iowa offered him the DC coordinator job? I would think those are also offers that would be very, very tempting since he'd probably have an excellent avenue to the head job there or another P5 school.

ZHerd
01-18-2017, 07:20 PM
I have no idea who on staff is good HC material. I also would prefer it to be a defensive guy but I'm honestly not yet sold on our defensive staff. I feel like the only time the defense has risen up to a Bohl's staff level was 2015 playoffs. Otherwise I feel like they are sliding. It makes me wonder if guys are getting the same quality training they were previously. Maybe Im being overly critical but I'll believe these guys are on par with what we had gotten accustomed to (dominate defense that could win big games even with a mediocre offense) when I see it.

Bison bison
01-18-2017, 07:22 PM
God bless you all.

If someone calls and offers a million dollars a year, Klieman is gone.

I really like him, he really likes NDSU, he has family that really likes fargo - this is all bullshit that takes a walk when the money fairy takes off her top.

Mr Meaty
01-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Why would we look at the current staff?? There are plenty of qualified coaches on Bisonville. I kid of course. I always like defensive minded coaches.

Mr. Burgundy
01-18-2017, 07:35 PM

Major FBS is MORE about recruiting ties and less about coaching that you would expect. So I worry not much about that at all. Entz is also very happy in Fargo. Young family. Good jobs. Not saying they cannot leave or won't leave...but there is a very visible difference in some of these young families in wanting to stay in Fargo vs a lot in the past who are clearly here for the next step.

Mr. Burgundy
01-18-2017, 07:39 PM
God bless you all.

If someone calls and offers a million dollars a year, Klieman is gone.

I really like him, he really likes NDSU, he has family that really likes fargo - this is all bullshit that takes a walk when the money fairy takes off her top.

I would say that going 14-24 in Laramie and having to uproot family has probably shown some people that if you take the next step it better be the very difficult correct step, and not your last step. Money isn't everything. It sounds like a ton...and is, but it is only double what he is currently making.

mebisonII
01-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Why would we look at the current staff?? There are plenty of qualified coaches on Bisonville. I kid of course. I always like defensive minded coaches.

Thread idea: All-Bisonville Dream Coaching Staff

Bisonator98
01-18-2017, 08:10 PM
I have no idea who on staff is good HC material. I also would prefer it to be a defensive guy but I'm honestly not yet sold on our defensive staff. I feel like the only time the defense has risen up to a Bohl's staff level was 2015 playoffs. Otherwise I feel like they are sliding. It makes me wonder if guys are getting the same quality training they were previously. Maybe Im being overly critical but I'll believe these guys are on par with what we had gotten accustomed to (dominate defense that could win big games even with a mediocre offense) when I see it.

How about those Bohl defenses at WYO the last 3 years? Or several years before this epic run? I think we get spoiled by seeing such great teams and expect every one to live up to those expectations. It just doesn't happen very often. Even so the 2016 team gave up 21 or more points in just 4 games same as the 2011 squad.

89MTBISON
01-18-2017, 08:16 PM
David Richman. He's already on staff, has head coaching experience, and with upcoming budget cuts he can wear two hats for the same price...right? Or how bout Roger Kish, he seems badass.

THEsocalledfan
01-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Major FBS is MORE about recruiting ties and less about coaching that you would expect. So I worry not much about that at all. Entz is also very happy in Fargo. Young family. Good jobs. Not saying they cannot leave or won't leave...but there is a very visible difference in some of these young families in wanting to stay in Fargo vs a lot in the past who are clearly here for the next step.

Considering Coach K recruited THE David Johnson, part of why I worry about those Iowa schools.....they may wise up and bring him home.

Bison20
01-18-2017, 08:20 PM
How about those Bohl defenses at WYO the last 3 years? Or several years before this epic run? I think we get spoiled by seeing such great teams and expect every one to live up to those expectations. It just doesn't happen very often. Even so the 2016 team gave up 21 or more points in just 4 games same as the 2011 squad.

I think our defense has taken a slight notch down from klieman to entz but is still one of the best. I know everyone has been critical of his play calling but does anyone think polasek would be a better head coach than oc. He seems to be one of if not our best recruiter and has the high energy and seems like he could motivate guys.

THEsocalledfan
01-18-2017, 08:29 PM
I think our defense has taken a slight notch down from klieman to entz but is still one of the best. I know everyone has been critical of his play calling but does anyone think polasek would be a better head coach than oc. He seems to be one of if not our best recruiter and has the high energy and seems like he could motivate guys.

Polasek is the guy I think may get there. I don't think he is there yet, IMHO, but he could get there with more experience.

SamsRams
01-18-2017, 08:55 PM

That has always been my thought. Polasek would be a great head coach. He inspires people and kills it at recruiting.

HerdBot
01-18-2017, 08:55 PM
We have many qualified candidates. Polasek would be an obvious choice. Hedberg has been a head coach before but who knows if he wants that at this stage in his career. Entz is a D Coordinator so that's always good. Roehl is probably too young and hasn't been a coordinator. Not sure on Atif Austin (has he been a coordinator before?) Klanderman has been a D2 D Coordinator. Goeser has been around forever but he hasn't been a coordinator (off the top of my head I don't think so).

So I would say... Polasek, Hedberg, and Entz are your main guys if you consider being a D1 Coordinator as a prerequisite

HerdBot
01-18-2017, 08:56 PM
That has always been my thought. Polasek would be a great head coach. He inspires people and kills it at recruiting.

I think his personality makes him a better head coach than a coordinator... his passion doesn't come across in the booth although I'm sure it does during practices. I think his personality is NDSU to the bone. Hard work, blue colar, tough guy... Pretty much everything he stands for fits in with NDSU. The guys was something like a logger before he became a coach with us.

thebigund
01-18-2017, 09:26 PM

I'm not sure I would hire any of you schmucks on my staff.

mebisonII
01-18-2017, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure I would hire any of you schmucks on my staff.

I can assure you that none of us want to be on your staff in any way, shape or form. :hide:

WYOBISONMAN
01-18-2017, 09:58 PM
I could see Brent Vigen coming back as HC.

Watch Wyoming play football and you wouldn't want that.

Bison20
01-18-2017, 10:26 PM
I think his personality makes him a better head coach than a coordinator... his passion doesn't come across in the booth although I'm sure it does during practices. I think his personality is NDSU to the bone. Hard work, blue colar, tough guy... Pretty much everything he stands for fits in with NDSU. The guys was something like a logger before he became a coach with us.

That's exactly what I think to. Just seems to have the personality of a head coach for polasek. Not sure what to think of entz but doesn't seem like he has that kick ass high energy of polasek. Recruits seem to love him too.

IzzyFlexion
01-18-2017, 10:38 PM
I can assure you that none of us want to be on your staff in any way, shape or form. :hide:

I'm pretty sure that I saw what you did there.

http://natalieharrower.com/dublinbylamplight/wp-content/uploads/commedia.jpg

1993bison
01-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Watch Wyoming play football and you wouldn't want that.
Yeah, their defense gets shredded to often. Whose fault is that?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Vet70
01-18-2017, 11:10 PM
Bring back Vigen as the head coach. It would save having to start a new "fire save season" thread.

Tony Almeida
01-19-2017, 01:28 AM
I like Polasek for his personality, I agree with Herdbot, I think he would make a better HC than coordinator....but he needs a few years yet.

MontBison
01-19-2017, 01:59 AM
I like Polasek for his personality, I agree with Herdbot, I think he would make a better HC than coordinator....but he needs a few years yet.

Yea like more years than he could possibly live.

2011BisonAlumni
01-19-2017, 02:51 AM

You guys have to be kidding me. This guy doesn't understand situational football, yet somehow he is qualified to be head coach ?

ndsubison1
01-19-2017, 03:07 AM

I nominate Kermit and CAS

CAS4127
01-19-2017, 03:22 AM

Lmao at this post!! And agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAS4127
01-19-2017, 03:24 AM

Give me 3 solid months with playbook and opponents' film and you'd be surprised--kinda kidding, but kinda not. It's not that difficult a concept to understand and operate.

Kill me dead for posting this of course.

MAKBison
01-19-2017, 03:36 AM
Someone que Bruce Springsteen!

MinotBison
01-19-2017, 03:42 AM
Polasek no. And Hedberg has already been a head coach twice. I agree that I don't think he even wants it anymore.

56BISON73
01-19-2017, 06:36 AM
You guys have to be kidding me. This guy doesn't understand situational football, yet somehow he is qualified to be head coach ?

:bowdown::bowdown:

56BISON73
01-19-2017, 06:38 AM

:rimshot::bow:

56BISON73
01-19-2017, 06:40 AM
Lmao at this post!! And agree!!

People have lost their minds already and we havent even got out of January yet.

WYOBISONMAN
01-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Yeah, their defense gets shredded to often. Whose fault is that?

I am talking about some of the stupid Vigenesque things that I see on offense. Did you watch a lot of Wyoming football?

1993bison
01-19-2017, 10:58 AM
I am talking about some of the stupid Vigenesque things that I see on offense. Did you watch a lot of Wyoming football?
A little. New Mexico was something else. Never seen anything like it.

IzzyFlexion
01-19-2017, 01:52 PM

I'm on board!!

https://comunicariodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/la-rana-rene-624x351.jpghttp://www.jackrabbitfootballcamps.com/images/Facilities/CoughlinAlumniStadium2_300pxSFW.jpg

Bison"FANatic"
01-19-2017, 02:57 PM
That pick of Coughlin Alumni Stadium if funny for me because when CAS started posting here I thought for sure he was a Bunny trying to troll us.

THEsocalledfan
01-19-2017, 05:20 PM

For the record, I said he needs a few more years experience.

CaBisonFan
01-19-2017, 05:32 PM
Watch Wyoming play football and you wouldn't want that.I watched several games last fall...and I didn't say that I wanted it.

2011BisonAlumni
01-19-2017, 05:33 PM
For the record, I said he needs a few more years experience.

Two minutes left in the game against Montana and you have the best punter in football. Montana has zero timeouts. Any coach with any intelligence runs the ball three consecutive times and punts. King gets 3 yards on the first carry. Polasek can take the clock to a minute, but decides to roll out Wentz, on a bad ankle, and throw the ball on second down and again throws on 3rd.

The guy could fuck up a wet dream. A few years? Ya I don't think so.

Bison"FANatic"
01-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Two minutes left in the game against Montana and you have the best punter in football. Montana has zero timeouts. Any coach with any intelligence runs the ball three consecutive times and punts. King gets 3 yards on the first carry. Polasek can take the clock to a minute, but decides to roll out Wentz, on a bad ankle, and throw the ball on second down and again throws on 3rd.

The guy could fuck up a wet dream. A few years? Ya I don't think so.

You have never made a major mistake and learned from it. I guarantee you could find bad mistakes in both Klieman and Bohls pasts.

He is not ready now but I think in time he could.

THEsocalledfan
01-19-2017, 05:46 PM
You have never made a major mistake and learned from it. I guarantee you could find bad mistakes in both Klieman and Bohls pasts.

And I'd love to know how Montana is only TP's fault. Coach K was more guilty for the Montana debacle.....

SDbison
01-19-2017, 06:03 PM
To answer the question as called out in the title of this thread I would have to say........No. If I had to pick someone it would be Entz.

cx500d
01-21-2017, 03:52 PM
On the current staff? Hedberg would be the only one IMO.

+1

2011BisonAlumni
01-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Sure I have, but I usually learn from them. He has not. He then, and still does not today, understand basic situational football. 3rd and 10 and running 5 yard crossing patterns over and over, like he did in the JMU game, which have about a 0% chance of being able to get a first down. Consecutive jet sweeps to the weak side of the field, which result in 0 yards and then negative yards. Pounding the shit out of Jacksonville State and ready to score, but running an unecessary trick play resulting in a turnover.

Over and over again he has shown incompetence. Over and over again he has shown the inability to make changes to the game plan when plan A isn't working. Somehow you think these traits would carry over and make him a successful head coach?

I think Bison fans are less delusional saying we could beat Alabama versus saying Tim is ready and capable of being our head coach. He should maybe be a position coach, at best.

2011BisonAlumni
01-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Sure I have, but I usually learn from them. He has not. He then, and still does not today, understand basic situational football. 3rd and 10 and running 5 yard crossing patterns over and over, like he did in the JMU game, which have about a 0% chance of being able to get a first down. Consecutive jet sweeps to the weak side of the field, which result in 0 yards and then negative yards. Pounding the shit out of Jacksonville State and ready to score, but running an unecessary trick play resulting in a turnover.

Over and over again he has shown incompetence. Over and over again he has shown the inability to make changes to the game plan when plan A isn't working. Somehow you think these traits would carry over and make him a successful head coach?

I think Bison fans are less delusional saying we could beat Alabama versus saying Tim is ready and capable of being our head coach. He should maybe be a position coach, at best.

ZHerd
01-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Oh just get over the Stick to Wentz trick play already. Soooo stupid to keep complaining about that. The game was already over. It was a fun thing to try and would have been the perfect way to finish things off being it was a microcosm of the season. If they complete it it's everyones (probably including yours) favorite play of the season.

1993bison
01-21-2017, 06:58 PM
Oh just get over the Stick to Wentz trick play already. Soooo stupid to keep complaining about that. The game was already over. It was a fun thing to try and would have been the perfect way to finish things off being it was a microcosm of the season. If they complete it it's everyones (probably including yours) favorite play of the season.
Yeah trick plays suck unless they work

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah trick plays suck unless they work

When they work they are genius.

Personally, I love how people who don't know a damn thing about the ins and outs of football continue to insult Chris Kliemann's intelligence on his choice of coordinators.

2011BisonAlumni
01-21-2017, 10:20 PM

Does he continue or not continue to run bonehead plays?

1993bison
01-21-2017, 10:49 PM
Bone headed plays are bone headed if they don't work. Kind of a hero or zero type thing. Remember when Champion ruffed the punter against Georgia Southern in 2012? Bohl was hot about that one. He should have had it and would have been a hero. I always wondered if they had a call to not take a chance on that one since we were moving the ball and would have had excellent field position.

ZHerd
01-21-2017, 11:18 PM

That play wasn't one of them. In his case I'm not fully sure what to think. You could probably put together a bonehead play compilation for every offense in the country. This year's offense would have won the 2011-13 and 2016 championship. This year's offense with the 11 or 13 defense probably wins it all this year

56BISON73
01-22-2017, 03:00 AM
Bone headed plays are bone headed if they don't work. Kind of a hero or zero type thing. Remember when Champion ruffed the punter against Georgia Southern in 2012? Bohl was hot about that one. He should have had it and would have been a hero. I always wondered if they had a call to not take a chance on that one since we were moving the ball and would have had excellent field position.

I remember that one. There was no reason to try for the block. Their punter wasnt that good so were should have gotten the ball at the 40 . I dont think CP recovered from that ass chewing and thats why he went to No. Ill.

1993bison
01-22-2017, 04:00 AM
I remember that one. There was no reason to try for the block. Their punter wasnt that good so were should have gotten the ball at the 40 . I dont think CP recovered from that ass chewing and thats why he went to No. Ill.
Yeah but what was the call from the top? Was it take no chance? Champ had a free path.

56BISON73
01-22-2017, 04:57 AM
Yeah but what was the call from the top? Was it take no chance? Champ had a free path.

CP was the special teams coach. He made the call. CB came unglued.

Bison20
01-22-2017, 08:00 PM
CP was the special teams coach. He made the call. CB came unglued.

I bet CP made sure to him to tackle the punter and get a flag!

Jay
01-22-2017, 08:08 PM

That's true.. but don't put your players in a position to make that decision.

56BISON73
01-22-2017, 08:23 PM
:facepalm: