PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Washington - Beau Baldwin

Jay
01-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Cal targeting Beau Baldwin as OC.

https://twitter.com/GoldenBlogs/status/821103736105811968

REPORT: Cal targeting Eastern Washington coach Beau Baldwin as the new offensive coordinator

HerdBot
01-16-2017, 09:18 PM
I would be super surprised if he takes it. I could see him being a pac 12 head coach if he has patience

Vet70
01-16-2017, 09:33 PM
I would be super surprised if he takes it. I could see him being a pac 12 head coach if he has patience

The bottom of the tweet says he took the job.

EC8CH
01-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Kinda surprised it took this long for him to be snatched out of Cheney.

OC is perfect for him. Now he can concern himself even less about that pesky thing called defense :p

EC8CH
01-16-2017, 09:44 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/jan/15/new-contract-rewards-beau-baldwins-winning-ways-wi/

There is no buyout clause should Baldwin leave during the term of the contract.

Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but probably should have had at least SOME type of buyout clause.

56BISON73
01-16-2017, 09:50 PM
So as of yesterday he signed a new contract and today hes going to Cal?

Jay
01-16-2017, 09:54 PM

A new contract with NO buyout. Unbelievable.

MAKBison
01-16-2017, 10:02 PM
CHENEY, Wash. - Eastern Washington University will hold a press conference at 3:15 p.m. on Monday, likely regarding the rumors that head football coach Beau Baldwin will be heading to the University of California for the Offensive Coordinator position for the Cal Bears.

Rumors of Baldwin's departure spread on Monday afternoon.

So is hired or not? Did htey have the damn press conference?

MAKBison
01-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Might of known he was going and wanted to get the contract signed so the salary was on the books for the next coach.

MAKBison
01-16-2017, 10:18 PM
GoldenBlogs ‏@GoldenBlogs 3m3 minutes ago
Beau Baldwin Announces that he is Accepting the Cal OC Offer http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/1/16/14289630/beau-baldwin-announces-that-he-is-accepting-the-cal-oc-offer?utm_campaign=californiagoldenblogs&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter …

NDSU
01-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Accepts OC position at Cal! Tough loss for the FCS. No buyout clause in his recently signed contract. Good luck, coach!

Does he have any WR committs we could steal? lol

Vet70
01-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Thread started under New About Other Schools.
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?37994-Eastern-Washington-Beau-Baldwin&p=1192340#post1192340

ByeSonBusiness
01-16-2017, 10:38 PM

How does this stop him from getting a head coaching job in the future?

Mr Meaty
01-16-2017, 10:39 PM
Good for him. Cooper Kupp gone get out of there now.

HerdBot
01-16-2017, 10:41 PM
GoldenBlogs ‏@GoldenBlogs 3m3 minutes ago
Beau Baldwin Announces that he is Accepting the Cal OC Offer http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2017/1/16/14289630/beau-baldwin-announces-that-he-is-accepting-the-cal-oc-offer?utm_campaign=californiagoldenblogs&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter …

Wow. That is crazy.

NDSU
01-16-2017, 11:17 PM
EWU will move forward with interim co-head coaches in run game coordinator Aaron Best and defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding.

56BISON73
01-16-2017, 11:29 PM

???????????????? Usually isnt the position held before becoming a HC a coordinator?

td577
01-17-2017, 12:04 AM
I think this puts him a position to get to a P5 HC job faster. A couple of years OCing a P5 school at a high level and he already has HC experience will make him a prime candidate without having to go the G5 route in between. There have still only been a small handful of coaches who have made the FCS to P5 jump without a G5 or coordinator position in between. I think Bohl might have been able to make the jump if he waited another year. It is still a monumental jump no one is willing to offer anyone. Baldwin is not taking a step back, but rather a step forward and closer to a P5 head coaching position. Every time a HC job opens up in the P5, the list of potential candidates include coordinators and G5 coaches on fire.

Of the 8 P5 coaching changes this offseason and what the new hires were last season, 5 were former head coaches and 3 were coordinators. Not one was a FCS head coach picked for a P5 HC job.

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 12:05 AM
???????????????? Usually isnt the position held before becoming a HC a coordinator?

It goes both ways. I guess you could go the Jerry Kill, Urban Myer, Jim Tressel, Jim Harbaugh, route too.

Bison20
01-17-2017, 01:07 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18490206/eastern-washington-coach-beau-baldwin-cal-bears-offensive-coordinator

It's official. He took the oc job. Wonder how this will affect their recruits and who will take over. That should be a pretty attractive job. Said they have co-coaches for the interm

unbison
01-17-2017, 01:07 AM
It goes both ways. I guess you could go the Jerry Kill, Urban Myer, Jim Tressel, Jim Harbaugh, route too.

The Jin harbaugh route?
NFL quarterback .... NFL qb coach
Fcs coach for a couple seasons.... PAC 10 coach for a couple seasons NFL coach for a couple seasons. Big 10 coach.... that route is nothing like anyone else's on your list

56BISON73
01-17-2017, 01:35 AM

:facepalm:

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 02:03 AM
:facepalm:

Why is that a Facepalm? Harbaugh went from San Diego (yeah the little team we beat) to Stanford. Tressell went from Youngstown to Ohio State. Urban Meyer went from Bowling Green (lol) to Florida. Jerry Kill went from SIU to NIU to the Big Ten

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 02:06 AM
Today on Keith Brakes show on Bison 1660, they talk about the Eastern Washington situation in hour #2
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-brakedown-friday-january-13th-full-show

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 02:14 AM
The Jin harbaugh route?
NFL quarterback .... NFL qb coach
Fcs coach for a couple seasons.... PAC 10 coach for a couple seasons NFL coach for a couple seasons. Big 10 coach.... that route is nothing like anyone else's on your list

He went he went from the San Diego team we beat to the head coach at Stanford. But yeah my other list was just a few I know of off the top of my head. Was Tressel much more accomplished than Klieman or Bohl before he went to Ohio State?

unbison
01-17-2017, 02:15 AM
He went he went from the San Diego team we beat to the head coach at Stanford. But yeah my other list was just a few I know of off the top of my head. Was Tressel much more accomplished than Klieman or Bohl before he went to Ohio State?

Tressel nad harbaugh have zero common in path to head coaching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 04:10 AM
Tressel nad harbaugh have zero common in path to head coaching

Besides the fact both went directly from an FCS job to Power 5 head coaching job, no.

56BISON73
01-17-2017, 04:58 AM
Why is that a Facepalm? Harbaugh went from San Diego (yeah the little team we beat) to Stanford. Tressell went from Youngstown to Ohio State. Urban Meyer went from Bowling Green (lol) to Florida. Jerry Kill went from SIU to NIU to the Big Ten

JFC how many go that route? That was the point. Theres a path that most take. That path is looked at when hiring. There are always exceptions.

Christopher Moen
01-17-2017, 05:27 AM

You forgot to mention where Urban was just prior to getting the Florida job. What he accomplished at Utah, along Alex Smith, is what got him the Gator HC job.

Christopher Moen
01-17-2017, 05:30 AM

tOSU knew that Tressel was willing to "bend" rules to get their program back on top. Plus, he was capable of doing it while looking like a choirboy.

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 05:40 AM
You forgot to mention where Urban was just prior to getting the Florida job. What he accomplished at Utah, along Alex Smith, is what got him the Gator HC job.

Utah is a pac 12 Power 5 job though which was my original point. Actually they may have been Mountain West then but still a great job

Christopher Moen
01-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Utah is a Power 5 job though

Now it is, not back then.

td577
01-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Harbaugh used FCS to show he could coach. He already had a name. He basically had to show he could coach at any level and someone was going to give him a shot. It isn't a route very many people would be able to take, unless you are an ex-NFL QB who expresses an interest in coaching college football.

Tressel already had a history with OSU before YSU. It wasn't some hire out of the blue.

Meyer was never a D1AA/FCS coach.

The list of coaches who have made the jump from FCS HC to P5 HC even via G5 schools is so small, it is extremely exceptional when it happens. Jerry Kill was the exception, not the rule. If Baldwin wants to be a P5 head coach, this route he is taking is probably the best route, by far. If he produces a highly ranked offense within a couple of years at Cal, there is only one job anyone can offer him next. HC at a P5 school or at least HC at a premium G5 school like Houston or Cincinnati where he will get paid.

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Harbaugh used FCS to show he could coach. He already had a name. He basically had to show he could coach at any level and someone was going to give him a shot. It isn't a route very many people would be able to take, unless you are an ex-NFL QB who expresses an interest in coaching college football.

Tressel already had a history with OSU before YSU. It wasn't some hire out of the blue.

Meyer was never a D1AA/FCS coach.

The list of coaches who have made the jump from FCS HC to P5 HC even via G5 schools is so small, it is extremely exceptional when it happens. Jerry Kill was the exception, not the rule. If Baldwin wants to be a P5 head coach, this route he is taking is probably the best route, by far. If he produces a highly ranked offense within a couple of years at Cal, there is only one job anyone can offer him next. HC at a P5 school or at least HC at a premium G5 school like Houston or Cincinnati where he will get paid.

There are literally twice as many FBS coordinators than FCS head coaches not to mention FBS schools hire NFL coaches too.

It's rarer but I don't think it's mainly because it's FCS. FCS coaches traditionally don't get paid like we pay in the MVFC so you see many of them jump to FBS coordinator jobs for cash. They paid the Charleston Southern coach so little he left to be a coordinator at Coastal Carolina. It took Baldwin years to get to 225k but it doesn't come close to the 450k klieman will make with media fees and bonuses. Heck Farley makes a 350k base salary and Spack is right up there. Pretty big difference for a guy like Baldwin to take a 500k year coordinator job than a Klieman, Spack, or Farley who make way more. So they don't ever go to that pool of coordinators.

Heres a few more I found on a Google search

Jeff Monken
Mike London Richmond to Virginia
Todd Dodge - high school to North Texas
Bill Clark - Texas State (when FCS) to Rice
Terry Bowden -samford to auburn (later NAU Akron)
Hal Mumme - D2 to Kentucky
Rich Ellerson cal poly to army
Bohl to Wyoming
Joe Glen to Wyoming

td577
01-17-2017, 08:28 AM
It's rarer but I don't think it's mainly because it's FCS. FCS coaches traditionally don't get paid like we pay in the MVFC so you see many of them jump to FBS coordinator jobs for cash. They paid the Charleston Southern coach so little he left to be a coordinator at Coastal Carolina. Baldwin made 225k but it doesn't come close to the 450k klieman will make with media fees and bonuses. Heck Farley makes a 350k base salary and Spack is right up there.

Also.. there are literally twice as many FBS coordinators than FCS head coaches not to mention FBS schools hire NFL coaches too.

Heres a few more I found on a Google search

Jeff Monken
Mike London Richmond to Virginia
Todd Dodge - high school to North Texas
Bill Clark - Texas State (when FCS) to Rice
Terry Bowden -samford to auburn (later NAU Akron)
Hal Mumme - D2 to Kentucky
Rich Ellerson cal poly to army
Bohl to Wyoming
Joe Glen to Wyoming

You are supporting my conclusion the FCS to P5 jump rarely happens. Bowden was another case where he just needed to show he could coach anywhere as he already had the name. Otherwise, you are pointing out FCS to G5 positions, which aren't all that common either, for that matter.

Tony Almeida
01-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Was he the play caller at EW too? If indeed then it is a good hire.

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 02:40 PM
You are supporting my conclusion the FCS to P5 jump rarely happens. Bowden was another case where he just needed to show he could coach anywhere as he already had the name. Otherwise, you are pointing out FCS to G5 positions, which aren't all that common either, for that matter.

I never said it happened a lot. I'm just saying why it doesn't happen very often. If Baldwin would have stuck around longer, he would have eventually gotten an offer just like Craig Bohl did

ByeSonBusiness
01-17-2017, 02:45 PM
I never said it happened a lot. I'm just saying why it doesn't happen very often. If Baldwin would have stuck around longer, he would have eventually gotten an offer just like Craig Bohl did

Why stick around when you can go elsewhere, make more money, and probably expedite the process?

td577
01-17-2017, 02:46 PM

You could see him being a Pac 12 coach if he has patience. If that is what he wants, he is probably closer to that now than Bohl.

scottietohottie
01-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Maybe Beau just couldn't take the red turf anymore. I can't hardly watch one game let alone a season and all the film studying during the week. He's lucky to not be blind already.

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 03:21 PM
You could see him being a Pac 12 coach if he has patience. If that is what he wants, he is probably closer to that now than Bohl.

Baldwin would kill to make Bohl money. His initial contract was so so but his new one is huge.

bisonmike2
01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Not going to lie, this is good news for us.

tony
01-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Not going to lie, this is good news for us.

Well, yeah, a new coach and new OC is a big deal. On the other hand, I think NDSU would have come up with a good game plan for beating EWU with Baldwin still there... hopefully, this isn't like Montana in 2015 where they had a new staff for the first game and beat us. NDSU adjusted and stomped them into a thin paste the second time which just shows that NDSU's staff can make adjustments (Imo.)

Note: EWU's OC they just lost? He worked at EWU for less than a year and got hired from a high school where he was a co-head coach. Not saying that he isn't a good coach, but losing him is not nearly as big of a deal as Baldwin. He could have been Chuck D. Pigskin for all we know.

HerdBot
01-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Here's the play by play guy from Eastern Washington talkin about the mess

PXP Man For Eastern Washington Larry Weir 1 - 17 - 17
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/pxp-man-for-eastern-washington-larry-weir-1-17-17

or listen to the whole show here
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-jan-17-2017-full-show

StL Bison Fan
01-18-2017, 03:26 AM
Does anyone know anything about this? Was this on the radio today? Missed the show.
ReTweeted by @BisonLogo from Jeff from Alabama

Hearing @srjimallen hung up on @jeffculhane re:Baldwin leaves @EWUFootball (interview). Not an accident. Jeff very professional about it.

Hammersmith
01-18-2017, 03:45 AM
Coaching losses at EWU:

Head coach to Cal (also means they need an OC)
Associate HC/TE coach resigned last month
WR coach to Cal
RB coach to Utah

Mr Meaty
01-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know anything about this? Was this on the radio today? Missed the show.
ReTweeted by @BisonLogo from Jeff from Alabama

Hearing @srjimallen hung up on @jeffculhane re:Baldwin leaves @EWUFootball (interview). Not an accident. Jeff very professional about it.

I could not find anything about this. Not saying it did not happen . I might now have looked everywhere.

TransAmBison
01-18-2017, 12:53 PM
I could not find anything about this. Not saying it did not happen . I might now have looked everywhere.I was listening to the show when they mentioned it. They discussed if it was an accident and Jeff said definitely not. They moved on right away after that.

Mr Meaty
01-18-2017, 12:59 PM
I was listening to the show when they mentioned it. They discussed if it was an accident and Jeff said definitely not. They moved on right away after that.

Ok I missed that during the show. I was in and out while listening to it. So what caused the hang up?

TransAmBison
01-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Ok I missed that during the show. I was in and out while listening to it. So what caused the hang up?No idea...just caught they had this guy on the line and then it was said he hung up. Jeremy asked if it was an accident and Jeff said definitely not. They said something like they better give it a little time before calling him again, they chuckle a little bit and then went on to the next subject. Nothing else was said. No idea why it happened.

Mr Meaty
01-18-2017, 01:09 PM
No idea...just caught they had this guy on the line and then it was said he hung up. Jeremy asked if it was an accident and Jeff said definitely not. They said something like they better give it a little time before calling him again, they chuckle a little bit and then went on to the next subject. Nothing else was said. No idea why it happened.

Sounds like nothing, that is good. Thank you

StL Bison Fan
01-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I just assumed they were a little testy out there.

IzzyFlexion
01-18-2017, 01:46 PM
I just assumed they were a little testy out there.

You've inspired me.
In preparation for my psychiatry appointment today..............does anyone know the medical plural?

Jay
01-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Promoted their OL coach, Aaron Best.

aces1180
01-22-2017, 01:32 AM
Promoted their OL coach, Aaron Best.

I remember when another school in the Big Sky promoted their OL coach to head coach...Hilarity ensued!

HerdBot
01-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Here's an interview with the new head coach for Eastern Washington today. It's in hour #2 on the insiders today. Give the rest of the show a listen...good stuff today
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-jan-25-2017-full-show

Wally
11-25-2017, 03:14 AM
Going to be the new HC at Oregon St after 1 year as OC at Cal they way it looks

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/24/16698196/beau-baldwin-oregon-state-head-coach-hire

A1pigskin
12-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Going to be the new HC at Oregon St after 1 year as OC at Cal they way it looks

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/24/16698196/beau-baldwin-oregon-state-head-coach-hire

I assume the pay will be good.