PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Updates

tony
12-13-2005, 08:56 AM
As reported by Kolpack in the Fargo Forum, NDSU has its first baby Bison of the 2006 class! His name is Michael Arndt You Glad You Didn't Have To Pay His Parent's Grocery Bills. He weighs in at 290 pounds and four ounces and is 79 inches long and plans on playing on the offensive line.

Bison_Dan
12-13-2005, 03:02 PM
As reported by Kolpack in the Fargo Forum, NDSU has its first baby Bison of the 2006 class! His name is Michael Arndt You Glad You Didn't Have To Pay His Parent's Grocery Bills. He weighs in at 290 pounds and four ounces and is 79 inches long and plans on playing on the offensive line.

One of many great recruites! ;D ;D

RedRiver
12-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Brother of Bison senior TE Derek and he is from LaMoure, ND.

NDSUfb
12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
anyone know where he will play.. OLINE or DLINE?? ;D good news for bison country ;D

Gully
12-13-2005, 04:47 PM
anyone know where he will play.. OLINE or DLINE?? * *;D good news for bison country * ;D

From the article it sounds like he'll play o-line.

Bisonguy
12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
I think Bohl might need a taller QB in a few years.....

sambini
12-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Welcome to the HERD Michael.

Leonardite
12-14-2005, 04:54 AM
He's very raw. I wasn't overly impressed with him this year, but you can't coach size like that. In a few years, I expect the staff will have him up to speed with the college game.

sambini
12-14-2005, 05:41 AM
He will be fine and I wonder if we will get the other two top in state recruits?

DIBISON
12-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Second top recruit from North Dakota has given his verbal to NDSU. WDAY6 reported tonight that Brandon Smith from Dickinson Trinity, at 6'2" - 220 is projected as an H-back. Didn't get much coverage in the eastern part of the state, but he was a dominant Class AA football player. I remember watching him play in the Class B basketball tournament last year, and thought he must be a heck of a football player!!

sambini
12-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Two of the big three in North Dakota. Will the third one become a Bison also?

Bisonguy
12-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Second top recruit from North Dakota has given his verbal to NDSU. *WDAY6 reported tonight that Brandon Landon Smith from Dickinson Trinity, at 6'2" - 220 is projected as an H-back. *Didn't get much coverage in the eastern part of the state, but he was a dominant Class AA football player. *I remember watching him play in the Class B basketball tournament last year, and thought he must be a heck of a football player!!

Nice to see some early commits!

Gamehunter
12-15-2005, 04:37 AM
Has anyone seen Landon Smith play?

Bryan
12-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Minnesota has picked up it's second commitment in the past week from a linebacker and they we're only planning on signing two so I would be very suprised if they are going after Matt Anderson anymore which should put NDSU in good shape.

Gamehunter
12-15-2005, 06:15 AM
Does Matt play ILB or OLB?

tony
12-15-2005, 07:46 AM
Forum-Kolpack article about Landon Smith's commitment (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=111540&section=Sports)

"I liked the fact that they’re trying to go somewhere with this D-I transition. In my eyes, they’re not scared to back down to anybody. They’re scheduling Minnesota. They’re trying to put North Dakota on the map and I like the idea of helping in that process." - Landon Smith

That's the kind of attitude the Dakotas and Minnesota needs more of (and I'm not talking about in regards to college athletics).

BTW, Kolpack called this one - he listed Smith among the four guys he thought NDSU was going after. Anderson from Cavalier, Gratzek from Stephen-Argyle, and Robison from Delasalle (verbal to Iowa State) are the other three.

Leonardite
12-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Anderson was Cavalier's middle linebacker.

RedRiver
12-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Great in-state recruit for the Bison. Last year, many observers thought Landon Smith was one of the state's top football players, as a junior!!

Looks like Anderson has narrowed his interest to NDSU, UNI and undII.

silkamilkamonico
12-15-2005, 06:08 PM
Just a question about these guys.

I don't know who they are or how they play, but are they legit D1-AA recruits or did Bohl possibly recruit the because they are the best in ND?

Not that there's anything wrong with either one of them, but I'm just curious to see what kind of impact they will make at this time...

Also, do we have a shot at that Cavaliar kid - Anderson?

See Yuz.

NDSU_grad
12-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Just a question about these guys.

I don't know who they are or how they play, but are they legit D1-AA recruits or did Bohl possibly recruit the because they are the best in ND?

Not that there's anything wrong with either one of them, but I'm just curious to see what kind of impact they will make at this time...

See Yuz.
Maybe, maybe not. If there are two guys with extremely similar skills, one from ND, one from Wisconsin, then I would guess the ND kid gets the offer. But if there are talented players out there I'm sure Coach Bohl doesn't care where they come from.

BisonMav
12-15-2005, 06:53 PM

See Yuz.

Read somewhere, Forum or Herald, UNI, NDSU and UND were on his list. It said Minnesota talk had been quiet. They were quoting Coach Oskendahl.

RedRiver
12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Bohl is not going to recruit and give a scholarship to someone if they are not legit DIAA recruits, even if they are the best in ND.

I think there are 4 legit DIAA recruits in the state, the two that have allready signed with the Bison, and Anderson/Cavalier and Weilder/Velva.

Notice that none of these recruits fill any speed type or skilled positions. You won't get that from ND kids!!

somebison
12-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Notice that none of these recruits fill any speed type or skilled positions. *You won't get that from ND kids!!

Steffes, Satter, Strehlow, Esler etc etc etc

They are not a lot of them, but they do exist

Leonardite
12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
And venturing beyond NDSU's program, Brooks Bollinger probably qualifies.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-15-2005, 08:55 PM

I think the point was that with a smaller recruiting base (ie ND) you are going to have a very limited number of big-time skill/speed guys so you will probably have to go out of state for those guys. There's nothing wrong with that though as long as the smaller talent base doesn't make you ignore what talent is there.

JBB
12-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Ok. I buy that. :)

NDSU_grad
12-15-2005, 10:38 PM

Strehlow was a Wisconsin kid, but your point stands. Although I think RedRiver has a valid point as well. We don't seem to have any problem recruiting linebackers and o-linemen. It seems d-line is the toughest position to recruit right now.

RedRiver
12-15-2005, 10:44 PM
I should have said you won't get that from too many ND kids! The numbers aren't in the state compared to more populated areas!!

BisonMav
12-15-2005, 11:28 PM

Phil Ferris from Langdon, spinter in track, went to UNC I believe for football.

JBB
12-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Tyler Reauhlt (sp) is from WF. Caleb the WR for undII was also WF. There are some skill players around, even now-a-days. Is there anybody from WF on the current radar screens?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-16-2005, 02:17 AM
As long as NDSU makes it a priority to sign most of the guys in ND who are D-IAA calibre players (sounds like we are well on our way to doing it this year!) and fill in the remaining gaps with outstate players everything will be peachy. It seems like we are all making the same point that there is talent in ND and what talent there is we should make sure we sign, pretty much like what the university of Minnesota does.

bisoningrandforks
12-16-2005, 02:51 AM
hey gil.... I'd never thought anybody but myself on here remembers Phil Ferris.... I went to high school with him... what a stud!!! He moved back home to NC. Saw hime play in the 79' gator bowl against Michagan. He caught the winning td pass!

GFBisonFan
12-16-2005, 03:06 AM
Bohl is not going to recruit and give a scholarship to someone if they are not legit DIAA recruits, even if they are the best in ND.

I think there are 4 legit DIAA recruits in the state, the two that have allready signed with the Bison, and Anderson/Cavalier and Weilder/Velva.

Notice that none of these recruits fill any speed type or skilled positions. *You won't get that from ND kids!!
I think that Mr. Steffes would take some offense to that. Weston Dressler would also qualify, but is on the small side. There is talent there, just need to find the diamonds in the rough-ND has sent players to the NFL!!

RedRiver
12-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I should have said you won't get that from too many ND kids! *The numbers aren't in the state compared to more populated areas!!

Like I said, ND will produce very few speed/skill players andnot on a consistant basis like the more populated areas!

BISON_PRIDE
12-16-2005, 09:56 PM
There was some good info. from Steve Hallstrom on the media board.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/index.cfm

Bisonguy
12-16-2005, 10:05 PM
The addition of a DI school may help elevate the level of HS football in ND.

Add in the fact that one of the top sports acceleration programs is headquartered in Fargo (Frappier Acceleration) and a very good strength/acceleration program (Magnum?- can't remember the name) is located in Moorhead, and there should be some good speed/skill players from ND down the road.

MplsBison
12-17-2005, 05:19 PM
I've wondered myself if strength and conditioning programs that the colleges use would filter down to the high school level somday.

I guess they already have.

silkamilkamonico
12-17-2005, 07:39 PM
The addition of a DI school may help elevate the level of HS football in ND.

Just out of curiousity, how would a D1 school help elevate the level of talent in ND? I guess I just look at it like football is what it is in ND.

Bisonguy
12-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Just out of curiousity, how would a D1 school help elevate the level of talent in ND? *I guess I just look at it like football is what it is in ND.

Higher aspriations, more motivation.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Just out of curiousity, how would a D1 school help elevate the level of talent in ND? *I guess I just look at it like football is what it is in ND.
An analogy that is along these lines that I heard while watching a university of nebraska football game on ESPN a while back. *The huskers have just switched from a power running team to a west coast offense and the announcers were saying that it would take a few years before the coaches in neb. adjusted and started producing the type of players needed for a west coast team rather than a power running team. *I'd imagine it may be similar with a D-II to D-I move.

MplsBison
12-18-2005, 02:52 AM
An analogy that is along these lines that I heard while watching a university of nebraska football game on ESPN a while back. *The huskers have just switched from a power running team to a west coast offense and the announcers were saying that it would take a few years before the coaches in neb. adjusted and started producing the type of players needed for a west coast team rather than a power running team. *I'd imagine it may be similar with a D-II to D-I move.

Good point.

Interesting, though, is the fact that almost no DI college teams (I can think of Air Force as one) use a triple option offense but many high schools still do.

sambini
12-18-2005, 04:18 AM
I heard the kid from Stephen-Arglyle is the real deal. Yes Phil Ferris was a great athlete also won ACC Decathalon I believe. Very good track man. He could flat out fly.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-18-2005, 04:46 PM
I think that there are a couple other I-A teams that use the triple option but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Used mostly by teams that aren't able to recruit the talent necessary for a conventional passing game.

GFBison
12-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Here is an opportunity NDSU can provide recruits, that other local schools do not provide; DI competition.

"The biggest knock on me is that they (NFL scouts) want to see me play against Division I guys," Kuper said.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/colleges/university_of_north_dakota/13433473.htm

kchats
12-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Another great reason to play teams like Minnesota, Ball State, Kansas State, Nebraska etc. The scouts get to see the players play division I-A players from big time programs which will help them get a shot at the NFL. Should be an easy sell for any player that thinks he can play in the NFL. We will play any team any time and anywhere. Got to love the Bison. Bring on the Competition. ;D

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-18-2005, 06:39 PM
++++

sambini
12-18-2005, 10:59 PM
++++

coloradobison
12-20-2005, 04:14 AM
halmstrom said Anderson is down to NDSU or UND. i havent seen the kid play, but can an athlete who is getting recruited by NDSU really choose UND over NDSU? how can anything up the road be more appealing?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-20-2005, 04:31 AM
I think that there is only one legitimate reason any recruit could give for choosing to go to unD-II if they are offered a scholly by NDSU, and that is playing time. If you are going to come be a bison but are going to be a special teams/role player/ride the pine then I could certainly understand. Outside of that though I think you would have to be slow in the head. Better coaches, city, facility, competition and fans.

tony
12-20-2005, 07:17 AM
Well, I think there are probably a lot of reasons that a ND kid might pick UND over NDSU.

- UND offers a better program for his major.
- He wants to live closer/farther from home.
- He wants to live in a smaller town.
- He wants to go to the school he and/or his family has been a fan of all their lives.
- He's got a girlfriend going to the school there.
- He wants their away games to be closer to home.
- He has friends playing football for UND but not NDSU.
- NDSU won't be playoff eligible until he's a sophomore, while UND might be eligible, if they don't go DI, when he's a freshman.

Anyway, this should be a watershed year for in-state recruiting. Even if UND goesn't go DI, NDSU's playoff clock is ticking down and that changes the recruiting landscape. OTOH, if UND does go DI, not only is NDSU on the verge of being playoff eligible but nobody in UND's next two classes will ever see the playoffs.

BisonMav
12-20-2005, 12:20 PM
halmstrom said Anderson is down to NDSU or UND. i havent seen the kid play, but can an athlete who is getting recruited by NDSU really choose UND over NDSU? how can anything up the road be more appealing?

There are reasons, and Tony touched on some of them.

Gully
12-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Well, I think there are probably a lot of reasons that a ND kid might pick UND over NDSU. *

- UND offers a better program for his major. *
- He wants to live closer/farther from home. *
- He wants to live in a smaller town. *
- He wants to go to the school he and/or his family has been a fan of all their lives. *
- He's got a girlfriend going to the school there.
- He wants their away games to be closer to home. *
- He has friends playing football for UND but not NDSU.
- NDSU won't be playoff eligible until he's a sophomore, while UND might be eligible, if they don't go DI, when he's a freshman.

Anyway, this should be a watershed year for in-state recruiting. Even if UND goesn't go DI, NDSU's playoff clock is ticking down and that changes the recruiting landscape. OTOH, if UND does go DI, not only is NDSU on the verge of being playoff eligible but nobody in UND's next two classes will ever see the playoffs.

Good points but I disagree with NDSU not being playoff eligible being an issue at this point. Many players don't see the field until they're Sophomores anyway so I think last year's class was the last significantly impacted by the lack of playoff opportunities.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of strictly football reasons, but those are all good reasons, too.

DIBISON
12-21-2005, 03:39 AM
Wednesday is the first signing date for JC football players. It was reported tonight that Bohl may sign one player on Wednesday, but expects most of the signings to be at a later date.

Also, two defensive lineman from NDSCS in Wahpeton are strongly leaning toward NDSU, but have not yet given any verbals. If they are anything like Rodney Thompson, they should help the d-line alot.

Trainer
12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
From edgytim.com (Illinois Preps)... The Bison have made an offer to DE Sean Murnane (6'3 240-lbs.) from Mundelein, IL (Carmel HS). *Murnane will make his official visit to NDSU on January 13th.
Also hearing from Central Michigan, Duke, Southern Illinois, and Illinois State.

KTF
12-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Does anybody know if the player from Stephen-Argyle has verbally commited to any school yet?

RedRiver
12-21-2005, 10:57 PM
If the Bison sign one or two defensive lineman from NDSCS this year, it will continue a trend that started when Babich got Richard Lewis, then R. Thompson sgined after that. That school sure produces DI players.

sambini
12-22-2005, 04:10 AM
Tony you hit the reasons right on the head. I hope we get him and carry on that fine tradition of Cavalier athletes at NDSU.++++

MplsBison
12-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Good points but I disagree with NDSU not being playoff eligible being an issue at this point. *Many players don't see the field until they're Sophomores anyway so I think last year's class was the last significantly impacted by the lack of playoff opportunities.

This years Jucos won't have a chance at the playoffs.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-23-2005, 07:17 AM
This years Jucos won't have a chance at the playoffs.

Hopefully we can overcome this for one more round of recruiting and next year we can dangle that playoff carrot for both high school and juco players.

Bison_Dan
01-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Anderson verbals to NDSU. *It was a great job of recruiting by Casey Bradley. *

Edited by Admin: Please, for the love of all that is holy, keep the smack to the smack board.

NDSU_grad
01-04-2006, 02:08 PM
I've seen this on our board and the Sioux board. *Do we have an official announcement anywhere?

Edit: Never mind, I saw the link on the other thread.

Bison_Pride
01-04-2006, 04:22 PM
From Kolpack at the BLOG * ;D

Another, 6-6, 285-pound Chris Wellenstein from Centerville, gave NDSU his verbal commitment over the weekend. That's three O-linemen in two years NDSU got within a short drive of Brookings.

Someone needs to start a new thread with a summary of verbals so far.

tony
01-05-2006, 12:43 PM
BisonInsider has you covered:

http://www.bisoninsider.com/recruitwatch.html

Just mentally add Matt Gratzek and Lee Vandal for a couple more hours.

NDSU_grad
01-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Somebody should e-mail Rob at showingblitz about the verbals. I e-mailed him about Smith and Arndt (maybe somebody else did too) and they were up on his site within a couple of days. I'm sure he doesn't have time to check messageboards and local papers for all the teams in I-AA.

Trainer
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Grad... Sent him an email about 2 AM.

runtheoption
01-06-2006, 05:47 AM
Any interest in Evan Savageau at Fargo South? He is a tall, speedy wide receiver with excellent leaping ability.

tony
01-06-2006, 08:03 AM
I think Hallstrom and Kolpack have both mentioned Savageau. UND folks seem to think he has a strong lean their way though. We'll see. Here's what Trainer and crew have for receivers on BisonInsider:

WR Tyler Macomber 6'3 185-lbs. Elk River, MN
WR Tim Langer 6'2 190-lbs. Becker, MN
WR Ben Alzalde 6'0 175-lbs. Milwaukee, WI (Lutheran)
WR Xavier Rucker 5'7 160-lbs. Minneapolis, MN (Breck)
WR Evan Savageau 6'2 178-lbs. Fargo, ND (South)
WR Maurice Turner 6'1 192-lbs. Shoreview, MN (Mounds View)
WR Greg Betterson 6'0 170-lbs. Worthington, MN
WR Bryant Williams 6'1 185-lbs. Edina, MN
WR Travis Martens 6'4 180-lbs. Devils Lake, ND
WR Justin Mitchell 6'3 180-lbs. Port Washington, WI
WR Zack Winkler 6'3 185-lbs. Pembina, ND

I'm not sure how NDSU has him ranked at his position. I'd also be surprised if NDSU didn't have a WR prospect or two in TX or IL.

tony
01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I wonder if NDSU has ever signed so many 9-man guys in one season? Pretty cool.

Also, I hope we see a lot more of those 4.0 GPAs - outstanding!

RedRiver
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Any interest in Evan Savageau at Fargo South? He is a tall, speedy wide receiver with excellent leaping ability.

Evan is leaning toward playing DII football.

BISON_PRIDE
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I'd like to see the Bison sign Mertens from Devils Lake, he sounds like a great athlete with good size/speed.

Also I want to hear the play by play like this: "Mertens goes deep over the middle, and it's CAUGHT by Mertens for a touchdown!!"

;D :D ;D

On a side note I saw a bunch of the Bison players out at one of the bars last night enjoying their break. They seemed like very nice, young, broke-ass college students. They were probably the most well behaved people in the bar. Another testiment to Coach Bohl and his standards of conduct and recruiting good young men. (Walker has a prominent limp)

evermore
01-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Rocky picked up a lot of nine man guys.

football1
01-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Add two more players to the verbal list. From North Dakota State College of Science JUCO in Wahpeton. Mike Brown DT 6-1 270 4.9 Larimore, ND and Christian Dallas DE 6-4 275 4.7 Gainesville, FL. Mike was a Second Team All-American this year. Both players were recruited by Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Kansas and Northern Iowa.

BISON_PRIDE
01-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Holy Macaroni! The rich get richer!!

Gully
01-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Add two more players to the verbal list. *From North Dakota State College of Science JUCO in Wahpeton. *Mike Brown DT 6-1 270 4.9 Larimore, ND and Christian Dallas DE 6-4 275 4.7 Gainesville, FL. *Mike was a Second Team All-American this year. *Both players were recruited by Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Kansas and Northern Iowa. *

Welcome to the board footall1! Look forward to hearing other news you may have in the future.

This is more good news, we knew that we needed to sign some defensive linemen.

somebison
01-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Add two more players to the verbal list. *From North Dakota State College of Science JUCO in Wahpeton. *Mike Brown DT 6-1 270 4.9 Larimore, ND and Christian Dallas DE 6-4 275 4.7 Gainesville, FL. *Mike was a Second Team All-American this year. *Both players were recruited by Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Kansas and Northern Iowa. *

ZOINKS!

IowaBison
01-06-2006, 09:50 PM

You might want to make that Christon.

You don't want to get on the wrong side of a guy that big and that fast.

RedRiver
01-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Great news, I like the fact that Brown's hometown of Larimore is in the shadows of Grand Forks!!

sambini
01-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Keep filling up the ship. Welcome aboard .

DIBISON
01-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Seems like a couple of good recruits that are experienced and have good size and speed. They should bolster the d line next fall. Like the fact that they are from NDSCS of Wahpeton and one of them is a Larimore ND product!!

Gamehunter
01-07-2006, 05:53 AM
I wonder if any of those other Big 10 / Big 12 schools actually offered either player? Not that it matters any....

4.7 is pretty good speed for a lineman, so is 4.9 for that matter.

For comparison's sake (yeh I know, DL vs OL) , Rob Hunt (OL) ~300lbs ran the 40 just under 5 ~4.9 at the NFL combine and had one of the top times.

Both of these guys could be exactly what Thundar ordered!

I think i've said this before and I'll say it again. NDSU may be just a couple defensive lineman short of having a very dominant defense in '06. CB is the only other weakness as we have no idea how those guys may or may not turn out.

somebison
01-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Mt. Carmel running back Larry Dortch has received an offer from Fordham and will visit there Jan. 20. Dortch is visiting NIU this weekend and is also being recruited by North Dakota State.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/cs-0601080291jan08,1,1834910.story?coll=cs-college-print

Woden
01-10-2006, 05:18 AM
I wonder if any of those other Big 10 / Big 12 schools actually offered either player? Not that it matters any....

4.7 is pretty good speed for a lineman, so is 4.9 for that matter.

For comparison's sake (yeh I know, DL vs OL) , Rob Hunt (OL) ~300lbs ran the 40 just under 5 ~4.9 at the NFL combine and had one of the top times.

Both of these guys could be exactly what Thundar ordered!

I think i've said this before and I'll say it again. NDSU may be just a couple defensive lineman short of having a very dominant defense in '06. CB is the only other weakness as we have no idea how those guys may or may not turn out.

I can attest to the fact that neither of these guys were offered scholarship by any Big 10/12 schools. They are both pretty decent players, but both have some weaknesses that need to be addressed. Brown is not the most gifted athlete of all time, but has a motor that doesn't stop and will work his ass off to try and make a play. CD is the opposite, he is blessed with a lot of athletic ability but will take a play off from time to time. He also needs to improve his upper body strength tremendously in order to have an impact next year.

As far as their 40 times are concerned, take it with a grain of salt. NDSCS is notorious for having exaggerated 40 times. Former Bison Richard Lewis supposedly ran a 4.17 at NDSCS. Now, I know that Lewis was one of the faster players to ever play for the Bison, but 4.17 is a little bit of a reach. I know when he got to SU he was timed in the 4.3 range. Remember, NDSCS is in the business of moving players on to higher levels, and the more they can ship to bigger schools, the more recruits they can get to come to their own. Bumping up a forty time a tenth or two is a good way to help players land at schools.

I look at this pickup as more of a need than a quality one. This tandem will be no where near the level that Summervile/Ware were at, but should help fill a void that otherwise would have been huge on the Bison next year. From what I've heard, these guys were picked up after a trip down to the Miss. schools that gave the Bison Summervile and others yielded no results. This is in no way meant to trash Brown and Dallas, but it is the truth. These players were given money after attempts at others failed.

As far as cornerback is concerned, I'm hearing that last years backups, can't remember their names and don't really feel like looking it up, are a pretty talented tandem that given time, should develop into some pretty solid players. I think the question marks for next year continue to be the O and D lines, as well as whether or not White can return from injury and bolster an otherwise weak WR corps in general.

BTW- Times at the NFL Combine are always slower than what players were timed at in college. The surface isn't as fast, and athletes are electronically timed instead of hand timed. Hunt was timed in the high 4.7's low 4.8's at SU. So you are comparing apples to oranges when you compare forty times from NDSCS to forty times at the NFL combine.

mikelsch
01-10-2006, 05:30 AM
I would imagine they will bring in more D lineman this offseason to complement the new recruits. Two very good ones coming back with Frick and Lardinois. Also heard good things about two redshirts from last year: Fairbain and Fowler.

Signing day is Feb 1...coming soon.

Gamehunter
01-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Nice info. It would have been nice to land a JUCO or two from the Miss. area. For the guy that visited NDSU but decided on Ark St., well it is hard to compete for recruits against D1-A teams that were in a 2005 bowl game. However it is still encouraging recruits of that caliber would even visit NDSU.

Next years success will be largely defined on who is going to step up on the defensive line. Hopefully the Bison are able to use some sort of a rotation in contrast to this past season.

Lardinois appears to have the necessary talent and speed, but needs to bulk up some muscle during the offseason to become a continual force.

Does anyone know if DT Emanuel Jackson may be able to contribute? I can't remember if I saw him (#96) out on the field last season in any of the earlier games.

NDSU_grad
01-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I can attest to the fact that neither of these guys were offered scholarship by any Big 10/12 schools. *They are both pretty decent players, but both have some weaknesses that need to be addressed. *Brown is not the most gifted athlete of all time, but has a motor that doesn't stop and will work his ass off to try and make a play. *CD is the opposite, he is blessed with a lot of athletic ability but will take a play off from time to time. *He also needs to improve his upper body strength tremendously in order to have an impact next year.

As far as their 40 times are concerned, take it with a grain of salt. *NDSCS is notorious for having exaggerated 40 times. *Former Bison Richard Lewis supposedly ran a 4.17 at NDSCS. *Now, I know that Lewis was one of the faster players to ever play for the Bison, but 4.17 is a little bit of a reach. *I know when he got to SU he was timed in the 4.3 range. Remember, NDSCS is in the business of moving players on to higher levels, and the more they can ship to bigger schools, the more recruits they can get to come to their own. *Bumping up a forty time a tenth or two is a good way to help players land at schools.

I look at this pickup as more of a need than a quality one. *This tandem will be no where near the level that Summervile/Ware were at, but should help fill a void that otherwise would have been huge on the Bison next year. *From what I've heard, these guys were picked up after a trip down to the Miss. schools that gave the Bison Summervile and others yielded no results. *This is in no way meant to trash Brown and Dallas, but it is the truth. *These players were given money after attempts at others failed. *

As far as cornerback is concerned, I'm hearing that last years backups, can't remember their names and don't really feel like looking it up, are a pretty talented tandem that given time, should develop into some pretty solid players. I think the question marks for next year continue to be the O and D lines, as well as whether or not White can return from injury and bolster an otherwise weak WR corps in general.

BTW- Times at the NFL Combine are always slower than what players were timed at in college. *The surface isn't as fast, and athletes are electronically timed instead of hand timed. *Hunt was timed in the high 4.7's low 4.8's at SU. *So you are comparing apples to oranges when you compare forty times from NDSCS to forty times at the NFL combine.
Good post. D-line is still my biggest concern for next year. I have alot of faith in Agbetola and Bowman at CB, and Earl and possibly Brian Rabb (if he returns) can provide depth. I am not concerned about o-line at all. I think Harrington will step in for Medal and not miss a beat. Losing Popowski will hurt, but we've had good recruiting at o-line the past couple of years.

Bob_Holiday
01-10-2006, 04:36 PM
You never know about the JC kids until you get them playing in your system. Barry Quickstad was supposed to be a great safety and all he ended up doing was playing on special teams. Emanuel Jackson another of last years failed JC recruits never played that I'm aware of. Mike Brown, I think will be very good and will play a lot for the Bison. Chiston Dallas may be good, he was third team 4A (6A is the top level) all state in Florida and he played a lot at NDSCS, but time will tell. No one has mentioned the other DB out of Houston, Courtney Mitchell, that was hurt coming in last fall. He's supposed to be the best CB of the three.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-12-2006, 05:48 AM
Even though NDSU still has a couple more years before they are playoff eligible and have a realistic chance of attracting 1-A transfers, does anybody about any 1-A prospects that might consider NDSU (younger players possibly). I don't expect any 1-A transfers this year but it would be great if we could snag one at d-line.

Gully
01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Does anybody remember how many verbal commits we had at this time last year? I like the list so far but we obviously need to lock up some skill position players still.

Do you think this is because we're waiting to see who is left over after the major conference programs are done choosing?

mikelsch
01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
My guess is that I-AA's have to wait for I-A's to finish in regards to "skill" player recruiting. Skill players tend to be the most highly touted coming out of HS. Now that most of the local talent has been signed, I would imagine these last 3 recruiting weekends will have a national flavor.

JACKGUYII
01-12-2006, 04:12 PM
SDSU keeps arguably the most coveted football player in the state as Sioux Falls Roosevelt's Antonio Thompson 6'3 230 lb DE/Fullback has verbally committed to SDSU. He also has not lost a wrestling match in two years.

tony
01-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Does anybody remember how many verbal commits we had at this time last year? *I like the list so far but we obviously need to lock up some skill position players still.

Do you think this is because we're waiting to see who is left over after the major conference programs are done choosing?

You can see who we had this time last year (and kind of relive the process) by going to This Thread (http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1105447339;s tart=0)

Looks like we knew about 8 verbals on the 12th last year (4 OL, 2 QB, 1 LB, and 1 FB). This year: Smith, Anderson, Gratzek, Arndt, Wellenstein, Vandal, Brown, and Dallas (although I never did see the newspaper article about the two NDSCS players).

Kermit_clone
01-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Looks like we knew about 8 verbals *on the 12th last year (4 OL, 2 QB, 1 LB, and 1 FB). This year: Smith, Anderson, Gratzek, Arndt, Wellenstein, Vandal, Brown, and Dallas (although I never did see the newspaper article about the two NDSCS players).

The most recent verbal commitments were definitely in the print version of the Forum on Saturday, but I don't think they were in the online version.

coloradobison
01-12-2006, 08:23 PM
anyone know anything about the 3 RB's we have offered to? stats, other offers, anything?

DIBISON
01-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Bison got their first recruit from Minneapolis, a 6' 2" runningback/free safety, last name Lemon. Averaged 7.7 yards and had 4 interceptions. He is an all-state sprinter in track as well.

Yellow
01-19-2006, 02:15 AM
anything on which position he is going to play for the BISON? Great pick up!

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Bison got their first recruit from Minneapolis, a 6' 2" runningback/free safety, last name Lemon. *Averaged 7.7 yards and had 4 interceptions. *He is an all-state sprinter in track as well.

http://www.glencoenews.com/ArticlesImg/14011.jpg

Lemon is the dude on the left. He's also some kind of blackbelt competitor and is listed in the karateUSA website.

Thinking he might be a tough kid, and I would love for him to play RB.

I think it's important for NDSU to get a RB with some speed ala Shamen Washington style, but also an every down back.

But then again, if Bohl has other plans for him, so be it and I'm sure it will be in the best interest of the team.

BisonMav
01-19-2006, 02:49 AM
Cyrus Lemon

Senior DB , RB
5'11" 175 lbs.
De La Salle Islanders *

Rushing Num Yds Avg Lng TD Y/G
Season Totals: 75 574 7.7 64 9 57.4

Receiving Num Yds Avg TD Y/G
Season Totals: 5 99 19.8 1 9.9

swaghook
01-19-2006, 04:29 AM
He'll be playing free safety

Yellow
01-19-2006, 04:53 AM
I wish the first post was correct sayin he was 6'2", it would be nice to have that big of a DB!

RedRiver
01-19-2006, 02:22 PM
The late sports reported Lemon at 6' 1" and 190!! So who knows which is correct.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Whether he plays safety or running back (I'd love to see him running around making plays in the secondary) it is at least nice to see that we got a guy with speed who is not 5'5" or 5'7" or something like that. So good sign wherever he plays.

NDSU_grad
01-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Cyrus Lemon

Senior DB , RB
5'11" 175 lbs.
De La Salle Islanders *

Rushing Num Yds Avg Lng TD Y/G
Season Totals: 75 574 7.7 64 9 57.4

Receiving Num Yds Avg TD Y/G
Season Totals: 5 99 19.8 1 9.9
Isn't De La Salle where that Robinson (?) kid that ended up going to Iowa State was from? If so, those are pretty good numbers considering he was splitting time in the backfield with him.

silkamilkamonico
01-19-2006, 09:11 PM
He'll be playing free safety

That's too bad if he is.

NDSU better get a RB or 2 or else what was once a very deep position will be a very thin position in about 2 years.

mikelsch
01-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Cyrus Lemon didn't play RB very much in High School. He had Alexander Robinson (going to Iowa St) in front of him at De La Salle. He's going to start out as a FS and redshirt next year to get bigger, stronger, and faster. He's also a smart and nice guy.

I wouldn't worry too much about the RB position. I'm sure Bohl and company will properly address the situation. They're probably waiting for some "tweeners" to make their final decisions. Guys weighing the choice between stuck on the depth chart at a I-A school or having the chance to play a ton at a I-AA school.

Bisonguy
01-20-2006, 12:27 AM
From the WDAY 6:00 Sports

John Knepel, 6-5, 250, DL, from Homestead, WI verballed to NDSU.

I was looking at something else, but I thought Steve said he was second team all-state.

Bisonguy
01-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Yeah, looks like he was second team all-state in WI- All-State football: It's the 'year of the lineman (http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/preps/index.php?ntid=62487&ntpid=2)

DIBISON
01-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Also said something about being one of the top four recruits in Wisconsin at his position.

Yellow
01-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Wow, thats a big boy! I wonder what kind of speed he has

DIBISON
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
The Forum print edition today has an article about Sharpe, Lemmon and Knepel commitments to NDSU. Sharpe had scholarship offers from Air Force, Wyoming and Kansas St. His quote " I want to win a national championship and with the athletes that we have, I can't find any reason that we can't."

silkamilkamonico
01-23-2006, 09:45 PM
*His quote " I want to win a national championship and with the athletes that we have, I can't find any reason that we can't."

I can only imagine, once NDSU is playoff eligible and Bohl is still around, they will continue to get better and better recruits.

I know for a fact that the Dome and focus of football at NDSU alone continues to draw the kids.

tony
01-25-2006, 02:05 PM
Kolpack to WDAY to here: Derrius Colvin - a 5'11 CB/RB/WR for Thornwood High School in South Holland (Illinois) gave NDSU a verbal. Kolpack says that he'll probably be a DB.

Be sure to check out the Bison Blog. (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

RedRiver
01-25-2006, 04:11 PM

According to The Forum today, Evan commited to Concordia College for football. He was up at und last week for a recruiting visit, but the paper said he really liked the Concordia coach.

roper
01-25-2006, 08:13 PM
According to The Forum today, Evan commited to Concordia College for football. *He was up at und last week for a recruiting visit, but the paper said he really liked the Concordia coach.

That is suprising, the rumblings at South were that UND was a lock. *Coach Horan is doing a great job at Concordia. *Evan is a big pickup for Concordia. *IMO he should be able to dominate most DIII corners.

mikelsch
01-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Trying.....soo....hard....to.....resist....smackin g a certain school.....must...step...away...from....computer

MinotBison
01-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Trying.....soo....hard....to.....resist....smackin g a certain school.....must...step...away...from....computer

It's okay, Greenie. Just take your medicine and relax for a bit. Everything will be okay. ;)

Gully
01-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Kolpack to WDAY to here: Derrius Colvin - a 5'11 CB/RB/WR for Thornwood High School in South Holland (Illinois) gave NDSU a verbal. Kolpack says that he'll probably be a DB.

Be sure to check out *the Bison Blog. (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/)

Awesome, I was waiting for some news on a skill player. This is shaping up to be a really good class so far. Of course, I can't remember a year when I didn't think that.