PDA

View Full Version : x a possible candidate for y job

Pages : [1] 2 3

NDSUBowler
01-04-2017, 04:46 AM
Time to fire up the old rumor mill!

According to ESPN, a source told Brett McMurphy that Chris Klieman is one of the guys Minnesota will be looking at to be their next coach.

Minnesota's initial preference to be Claeys' successor is Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck, although a source close to Fleck told ESPN there has not been any contact between the school and the coach. Other candidates immediately expected to be considered for the opening include former LSU and Oklahoma State coach Les Miles and Boise State's Bryan Harsin, who was hired by Coyle when he worked there. Minnesota is also expected to target Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead and North Dakota State coach Chris Klieman, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18402000/minnesota-golden-gophers-announce-firing-coach-tracy-claeys

That is a very heavyweight list there. Some may be above the Gophers job, but regardless, seeing Klieman on any list is enough to make NDSU fans squirm a bit.

This is the first time I have seen Klieman publicly linked to this (or any other) coaching job.

ZHerd
01-04-2017, 05:11 AM
It's good and bad. It's tough to lose a good coach and assistants but if a guy is going to land in such close proximity I'd take Klieman. He wouldn't do anything to spite NDSU. Hopefully we get another year with him at the helm but best wishes to him whatever comes of this

HerdBot
01-04-2017, 05:19 AM
The unnamed source was probably with another MVFC team so they could mess up recruiting J/K.

In all seriousness though.. It's a month before signing day and our coach is one of many listed as a candidate and the Gopher AD says "it's going to feel like it's taking forever." That's what sucks. This Gopher AD already was a dick making Claeys wait a week when he knew he was going to fire him

Odd that there is no mention of Bohl which makes me wonder if it's shoddy reporting on Bohl being a candidate or Klieman being a candidate. Gotta admit though... The Gophers paid 5 million to buy out their contracts. Bohl just got a huge contract with a 5 million dollar buy out so they are down 10 million before even offering. And Bohl got a huge raise so they would need to pony up the dough.

Klieman would be nuts to turn down the type of money Kill got. 600k to 2 million is huge. Would certainly be the less expensive option

I just hope they decide soon. Waiting screws everyone over including gophers recruits, Ndsu recruits, teams trying to put together coaching staff's, etc

Kevin
01-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Having Bohl or Klieman in Minnesota would hurt our recruiting greatly. We can beat out Wyoming for recruits in a lot of cases but competing with the Goophs would be a challenge.

In recruiting, I mean. We beat them on the field easily.

Kevin
01-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Also worth noting that I've seen a few other write up's where the "experts" think the Gophers AD will want an offensive coach.

Offensive as in football. Not on Twitter.

2011BisonAlumni
01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Having Bohl or Klieman in Minnesota would hurt our recruiting greatly. We can beat out Wyoming for recruits in a lot of cases but competing with the Goophs would be a challenge.

In recruiting, I mean. We beat them on the field easily.

I think the connection with the AD is a very big threat. This could be a program killer for NDSU.

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Their boosters will never support a "D2" coach. I'd be more worried about the G5 school they poach from instead.

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 11:19 AM
I think the connection with the AD is a very big threat. This could be a program killer for NDSU.

No it won't. This program will not die. Just stop already.

BisonTeacher
01-04-2017, 11:42 AM
This could be a program killer for NDSU.

I've heard a lot of dumb things on bisonville...But this one is close to the dumbest.

EC8CH
01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Id be more concerned about collateral damage if they poach a G5 HC. Bohls buyout in Wyoming is a pretty big barrier there but Klieman would be a likely replacement there. They just canned Stanford and would they try to promote Vigen?

Would Western Michigan consider Klieman if Fleck leaves for Minnesota, which I think is their most likely hire? I really have no idea how likely that would be.

Les Miles with a pretty big fall from grace landing as the goophs HC is probably the least risk senerio for NDSU.

Another risk would be Klieman taking the DC job in a new staff at Minnesota, but that seems unlikely. Would he be interested in a non HC position at this point and what staff would he fit into. The Bohl bridge seems burnt.

bisonp
01-04-2017, 12:13 PM
I don't see Klieman going there unless everyone else turns them down. He just doesn't have the experience yet.

BisonCardinal
01-04-2017, 12:13 PM
Bohl has a better shot than Klieman.

gumby013
01-04-2017, 12:36 PM

Might be tough with his brand new $6.5M buyout. Not sure they would pony up that sort of cash, plus pay him enough to make him leave $1.4M per year in Laramie.

bisonmike2
01-04-2017, 12:37 PM

Exactly what I'm thinking but either would be a good hire for MN and bad for us with recruiting. Bohl would be a perfect fit for MN. Knowing the Gophers they'll continue to be the Gophers and they'll hire someone who's style doesn't fit in the region like Chip Kelly

HerdBot
01-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Id be more concerned about collateral damage if they poach a G5 HC. Bohls buyout in Wyoming is a pretty big barrier there but Klieman would be a likely replacement there. They just canned Stanford and would they try to promote Vigen?

Would Western Michigan consider Klieman if Fleck leaves for Minnesota, which I think is their most likely hire? I really have no idea how likely that would be.

Les Miles with a pretty big fall from grace landing as the goophs HC is probably the least risk senerio for NDSU.

Another risk would be Klieman taking the DC job in a new staff at Minnesota, but that seems unlikely. Would he be interested in a non HC position at this point and what staff would he fit into. The Bohl bridge seems burnt.

not sure on Western Michigan. If Fleck doesn't leave this year, odds are Western Michigan goes back to reality and his stock drops. And Fleck currently only makes about 200k more than Kljeman and is the highest paid coach in the MAC. Unless they would pay him the money the boosters are apparently trying to raise to keep him... Not sure

The perception is that Bohl is more experienced and has built a so called FBS team up in 3 years after he built Ndsu up

gumby013
01-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Exactly what I'm thinking but either would be a good hire for MN and bad for us with recruiting. Bohl would be a perfect fit for MN. Knowing the Gophers they'll continue to be the Gophers and they'll hire someone who's style doesn't fit in the region like Chip Kelly

Imagine Les Miles standing on a cold sideline...

JMB
01-04-2017, 12:48 PM

This... I think Klieman's opportunity would come from a domino effect. Him backfilling a job opened by whomever gets the Minnesota job.

ZHerd
01-04-2017, 12:50 PM

I don't know why anyone would want Miles. He underperformed with massive talent and doesn't know what a D1 QB looks like

wagsabison
01-04-2017, 12:51 PM

They need to hire a Tim Brewster type guy again (that would help us). Let's be honest MN is going to a recruit if they are going heads up against NDSU. The bright lights of the Big 10 would be hard to pass up, can't say I blame a kid for that. Where NDSU has benefitted the last 5 years is getting the guy that MN overlooks Williams, Turner, Olson just to name a few.

EC8CH
01-04-2017, 01:22 PM
They need to hire a Tim Brewster type guy again (that would help us). Let's be honest MN is going to a recruit if they are going heads up against NDSU. The bright lights of the Big 10 would be hard to pass up, can't say I blame a kid for that. Where NDSU has benefitted the last 5 years is getting the guy that MN overlooks Williams, Turner, Olson just to name a few.

Claeys was our best hope for a Brewster 2.0. Hopefully I'm wrong and the goophers can find someone worse. Need someone who is likely to overlook local talent and chase stars outside the region.

MNLonghorn10
01-04-2017, 01:23 PM
I'll laugh when it's Schiano or Al Golden

Loud and Proud Bison fan
01-04-2017, 01:23 PM
I don't know why anyone would want Miles. He underperformed with massive talent and doesn't know what a D1 QB looks like

He sounds perfect for the gophers job! Can you name me a QB at the Gophers that looked like D1 talent? Last gophers QBs in the nfl... http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/29/last-gophers-qb-to-start-in-nfl/

THEsocalledfan
01-04-2017, 01:31 PM
I don't buy Coach K for the Gophers job. Reality is, his head coaching experience is thin (only 3 years in D1, and 1 many moons ago in extreme small college ball), and most of the top players we've had to this point we not brought on when he was top dog. Even Stick and RJ were largegely recruited by Bohl b4 the change. While I think Coach K will be very successful, I would be very leery of a Gopher booster in bringing on someone with such thin experience. (See Tim Brewster, yes, I think Coach K would be 10,000x better; but this is how a Gopher could see it.)

bisonp
01-04-2017, 01:37 PM
He sounds perfect for the gophers job! Can you name me a QB at the Gophers that looked like D1 talent? Last gophers QBs in the nfl... http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/29/last-gophers-qb-to-start-in-nfl/

What do you mean? Leidner is a first-round prospect. According to some people last year. People who were desperate to find the next Wentz and evidently never watched him play.

But in all seriousness, he does at least look like an NFL QB. More so than the highly touted Philip "Kick 'Em When They're Down" Nelson ever did. You never know, he still could be the next Tim Tebow.

ByeSonBusiness
01-04-2017, 01:48 PM

You know he is from the Midwest right??

gumby013
01-04-2017, 02:01 PM
You know he is from the Midwest right??

Yeah, but he's been in the south for a long long time munching on grass.

Bison 4 Life
01-04-2017, 02:06 PM

I can attest to this. I'm not even that far south and 12 degrees seemed really cold to me this morning.

EC8CH
01-04-2017, 02:10 PM
I can attest to this. I'm not even that far south and 12 degrees seemed really cold to me this morning.

-14 this am in Fargo. Suck it up buttercup.

bisonp
01-04-2017, 02:12 PM

Good point, the turf at TCF is probably a dealbreaker.

Bison"FANatic"
01-04-2017, 02:17 PM
I don't buy Coach K for the Gophers job. Reality is, his head coaching experience is thin (only 3 years in D1, and 1 many moons ago in extreme small college ball), and most of the top players we've had to this point we not brought on when he was top dog. Even Stick and RJ were largegely recruited by Bohl b4 the change. While I think Coach K will be very successful, I would be very leery of a Gopher booster in bringing on someone with such thin experience. (See Tim Brewster, yes, I think Coach K would be 10,000x better; but this is how a Gopher could see it.)

Instead of typing my thoughts I will just copy and past TSCF"s as that sums it up.

On a side note I think Minnesota will "Row the Boat".

BisonTeacher
01-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Good point, the turf at TCF is probably a dealbreaker.

YOU Dang right it is...The Turf's rightful spot is at 12th and University

:)

El_Chapo
01-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Les Miles or Schiano would be best scenario for NDSU & GOphers.

if gophers ever could become a TOP 20 team consistently, the more Minnesota kids that will get overlooked and end up at NDSU!!

2011BisonAlumni
01-04-2017, 03:14 PM
No it won't. This program will not die. Just stop already.

Name the time a former Bison coach took a job that could cut off our recruiting pipeline to Minnesota?

siouxfan512
01-04-2017, 03:19 PM

Absolutely not, if NDSU football were to slump it would take years and be a slow move back to being a "normal" football team (I say normal because winning 5 straight is just NOT normal).

Interesting to hear Klieman is in the mix, not that it is super surprising. I was more surprised to not see Bohl's name on the list (though as other's mentioned, there is a pricetag with that). I though the Goofs should have looked at Bohl the last time around. The guys has done a nice job in Wyoming, and he would have way more resources and recognition at the U. He also knows the recruiting area. The biggest downside to going to the U, you have a lot of administrative folks, alumni, etc. that want to tell you how to run the program, rather than trusting whomever they hire. At least that is the perception I've gotten over the years, and through all of the crazy problems the U has faced.

Sounds like the W. Michigan coach could be the guy, but the AD also has strong ties to the Boise coach. I think Bohl should absolutely be looked at, but I'm not sure I see the U picking him. Should have taken him the last time around and they might finally have some consistency in the program. UND,NDSU,MN,Etc. fans can all say what they want, but Bohl teaches kids how to have a winning mentality. Thats a good trait to have in a coach.

BisonTeacher
01-04-2017, 03:22 PM
teaches kids how to have a winning mentality. Thats a good trait to have in a coach.

And IMO the most important thing Minn and its fans are lacking and preventing them from getting any better. (Again...speaking from experience as a former season ticket holder)

2011BisonAlumni
01-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Absolutely not, if NDSU football were to slump it would take years and be a slow move back to being a "normal" football team (I say normal because winning 5 straight is just NOT normal).

Interesting to hear Klieman is in the mix, not that it is super surprising. I was more surprised to not see Bohl's name on the list (though as other's mentioned, there is a pricetag with that). I though the Goofs should have looked at Bohl the last time around. The guys has done a nice job in Wyoming, and he would have way more resources and recognition at the U. He also knows the recruiting area. The biggest downside to going to the U, you have a lot of administrative folks, alumni, etc. that want to tell you how to run the program, rather than trusting whomever they hire. At least that is the perception I've gotten over the years, and through all of the crazy problems the U has faced.

Sounds like the W. Michigan coach could be the guy, but the AD also has strong ties to the Boise coach. I think Bohl should absolutely be looked at, but I'm not sure I see the U picking him. Should have taken him the last time around and they might finally have some consistency in the program. UND,NDSU,MN,Etc. fans can all say what they want, but Bohl teaches kids how to have a winning mentality. Thats a good trait to have in a coach.

$6.5 M buyout would be nothing to the boosters if they thought Bohl was the guy.

Son of a Bison
01-04-2017, 03:25 PM
Pretty sure Bison players would never treat Kleiman or their teammates the way the Gophs treated their coach and teammates. Held a sex party and included a recruit. Got suspended but corroborated story so reinstated. University snooped around and resuspended. Team boycotted and essentially supported the sex party. Coach tweeted player support. Details leaked and both team and coach looked bad. Now the players that boycotted are mad their coach got fired when they basically put his neck on the chopping block.

The best thing for NDSU and any former coach or player is to not be mentioned in the same sentence as the Gophs.

HerdBot
01-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Name the time a former Bison coach took a job that could cut off our recruiting pipeline to Minnesota?

Let me think long and hard about this one... never? Just geography alone is good.

siouxfan512
01-04-2017, 03:41 PM
And IMO the most important thing Minn and its fans are lacking and preventing them from getting any better. (Again...speaking from experience as a former season ticket holder)

Agreed.

Off the field issues need to be handled right too. Maybe get someone in there to teach these kids when they should and shouldn't exercise their right to freedom of speech. Standing up for your teammates is great and all, but maybe you don't take such a vocal stance when the issue is sexual assault. Some of the players forget that just because there are no charges criminally, the University still has a code of conduct, and the right to punish students how they see fit.

Also think some of these kids forget they are not entitled to a position on the team, a scholarship, etc. They have been given a unique opportunity to play for a big school in a big conference, with free education. Typical with some of these younger kids; they truly believe they are entitled to these opportunities. It'll be interesting to see if any of them are actually willing to give up their spot on the team and their scholarships to leave, because they disagree with the Claeys firing. Seems pretty funny to see players say they don't want to play for an administration that doesn't support its coach; while completely ignoring that they were playing for a coach that couldn't support the decisions of the organization.

bisonp
01-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Pretty sure Bison players would never treat Kleiman or their teammates the way the Gophs treated their coach and teammates. Held a sex party and included a recruit. Got suspended but corroborated story so reinstated. University snooped around and resuspended. Team boycotted and essentially supported the sex party. Coach tweeted player support. Details leaked and both team and coach looked bad. Now the players that boycotted are mad their coach got fired when they basically put his neck on the chopping block.

The best thing for NDSU and any former coach or player is to not be mentioned in the same sentence as the Gophs.

Yep, the reaction of the players through all of this tells you there are some pretty deep problems with the culture there that need to be fixed. But that's also the main thing, perhaps the only thing, that would make Klieman a viable candidate.

siouxfan512
01-04-2017, 03:46 PM
$6.5 M buyout would be nothing to the boosters if they thought Bohl was the guy.

I don't know enough about the other potential candidates, but I really think if you can make Wyoming competitive, you would do ok at the U. I really don't think he would do any worse than some of what the U has had to deal with over the past several years.

How old is Bohl though? I know he can coach, but how does he do with boosters and fundraising?

ndsubison1
01-04-2017, 03:51 PM
I only see him going unless a lot of their top candidates say no

totoinfl
Yep, the reaction of the players through all of this tells you there are some pretty deep problems with the culture there that need to be fixed. But that's also the main thing, perhaps the only thing, that would make Klieman a viable candidate.

I look for them to hire based on:

1 Disciplinarian (need to clean up their act before NCAA does it for them)
2 Offense minded (the question is whether it will be a wide open offense or BIG 10 power offense)
3 Someone who can recruit nationwide.

The yellowing rodents have been a cellar dweller in the Big 10 for so long it will take a while to make them relevant.

siouxfan512

This is pretty much what I was thinking. First, when you read what happened, you realize just how disgusting this who incident was. The party thing it just gross. The players then supporting those involved, especially to the degree they did is messed up. The coach supporting the players for supporting the incident is pretty clueless. The backpedaling an saying they were protesting "due process" was just pathetic. Altogether, some major character and culture issues that need to be changed.

This stuff probably happens at schools all over the country, but seriously what is wrong with kids these days.

ndsubison1
01-04-2017, 03:53 PM

In the same conference as Saban

totoinfl
01-04-2017, 03:54 PM
This is pretty much what I was thinking. First, when you read what happened, you realize just how disgusting this who incident was. The party thing it just gross. The players then supporting those involved, especially to the degree they did is messed up. The coach supporting the players for supporting the incident is pretty clueless. The backpedaling an saying they were protesting "due process" was just pathetic. Altogether, some major character and culture issues that need to be changed.

This stuff probably happens at schools all over the country, but seriously what is wrong with kids these days.

I wish you could say it has been a recent issue, but it is has been that way for a long time with some schools...Look at Miami, Florida State, USC...and the list can go on...this has been a problem for programs for at least 25 years...

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Are you that dense? Our recruiting pipeline to MN will never be cut off. I don't care if Sabin is the next coach, if he is taking our recruits he will be looking for a new job too!

bisonp
01-04-2017, 04:44 PM
I wish you could say it has been a recent issue, but it is has been that way for a long time with some schools...Look at Miami, Florida State, USC...and the list can go on...this has been a problem for programs for at least 25 years...

This goes a bit beyond what I'd consider typical though...this wasn't cheating in an effort to win or gain an advantage. That I can at least understand even if I don't like it. When they boycotted the players threw boosters and ticketholders under the bus. The very people who paid for their scholarships. Just a complete disconnect from reality.

totoinfl
01-04-2017, 04:49 PM
This goes a bit beyond what I'd consider typical though...this wasn't cheating in an effort to win or gain an advantage. That I can at least understand even if I don't like it. When they boycotted the players threw boosters and ticketholders under the bus. The very people who paid for their scholarships. Just a complete disconnect from reality.

We can agree to disagree, but as a Florida resident, we heard all the stories out of Gainesville, Miami and Tallahassee of "student athletes" in a jam for assault, shoplifting, etc....especially during the Bowden, Johnson and Meyer eras. That was purely cheating to win...nothing else.

mango
01-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Instead of typing my thoughts I will just copy and past TSCF"s as that sums it up.

On a side note I think Minnesota will "Row the Boat".

I find it funny you are saying that Klieman's head coaching experience is thin when Fleck only has one more year.

wagsabison
01-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I find it funny you are saying that Klieman's head coaching experience is thin when Fleck only has one more year.

I get what you're saying but MAC > FCS in the minds of most people.

SC_TX
01-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Minnesota is bound to make a good hire with the candidates available. Any of these hires could hurt NDSU

Bison"FANatic"
01-04-2017, 05:04 PM

But Fleck is the "Darling" of college coaches right now and at the FBS level.

mango
01-04-2017, 05:05 PM
I get what you're saying but MAC > FCS in the minds of most people.

Which is dumb because it's not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wagsabison
01-04-2017, 05:06 PM
But Fleck is the "Darling" of college coaches right now and at the FBS level.

He actually has made a pretty quick rise up the coaching ranks and coached under Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois.

tony
01-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Are you that dense? Our recruiting pipeline to MN will never be cut off. I don't care if Sabin is the next coach, if he is taking our recruits he will be looking for a new job too!

He is that dense... or trolling.

If you were going to say "What hurts NDSU the most", it would be:

1. Losing Klieman - I really like him as a coach and changing coaches always sucks (or, at least, is a dicey proposition.)
2. The others are seem neutral for NDSU. For example, Bohl at MN means that WY would have an even harder time competing for recruits in NDSU's recruiting area. NDSU's success depends 100x more on competence of our guys than on the incompetence of the MN staff.

Vet70
01-04-2017, 05:15 PM
I am actually surprised at the reaction on the Gopher board to the possibility of hiring coach K. Some are opposed, but there is surprising support and a resignation that he may be the best that they can do given the circumstances.
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?73053-Fargo-Forum-reporting-Chris-klieman-possible-candidate-for-the-Gophers

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 05:18 PM
I'm not even sure losing Klieman to UM would be a terrible thing. Sure the staff upheaval and retaining our kids and style of play would be a worry. But on the other hand I could see Klieman helping us on some kids that wouldn't be a good fit at Minny for whatever reason. We rarely compete with the Gophers head to head on most recruits and I don't see that changing unless we go FBS.

2011BisonAlumni
01-04-2017, 05:45 PM
I don't know enough about the other potential candidates, but I really think if you can make Wyoming competitive, you would do ok at the U. I really don't think he would do any worse than some of what the U has had to deal with over the past several years.

How old is Bohl though? I know he can coach, but how does he do with boosters and fundraising?

58. At least a decade left of coaching.

Aparently pretty good. They ponied up a lot of money for him.

BisonTeacher
01-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I have a hard time believing the Ad at Minn doesnt already have someone in mind and probably did before they axed claeys yesterday. Which leads me to believe a deal is already done, or the AD knows the candidate.

Son of a Bison
01-04-2017, 05:53 PM
What is also weird about this whole situation is much of this started when Kill stepped down as head coach at UM due to health reasons but then resurfaced elsewhere in football/athletics and is now recently hired at Rutgers as an OC. He seemed well liked at UM. Maybe he says let's do it again (and insists on Claeys as his assistant again)! But, I think he recruited most of the perpetrators of the current fiasco so maybe not. This fact does not seem to be getting any press that Kill is not getting any negative publicity for the players he recruited.

Also weird that NDSU has many former coaches that are qualified to be a head coach at the UM - and some are even over qualified due to their NFL experience. Why doesn't the UM have any out there? And we all melted down thinking Wyoming was the place to go for coaches to disappear.

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 06:02 PM
What is also weird about this whole situation is much of this started when Kill stepped down as head coach at UM due to health reasons but then resurfaced elsewhere in football/athletics and is now recently hired at Rutgers as an OC. He seemed well liked at UM. Maybe he says let's do it again (and insists on Claeys as his assistant again)! But, I think he recruited most of the perpetrators of the current fiasco so maybe not. This fact does not seem to be getting any press that Kill is not getting any negative publicity for the players he recruited.

Also weird that NDSU has many former coaches that are qualified to be a head coach at the UM - and some are even over qualified due to their NFL experience. Why doesn't the UM have any out there? And we all melted down thinking Wyoming was the place to go for coaches to disappear.

Kill stated he won't step foot back on UM campus when Claeys was fired. I think the feeling is mutual after Kill stepped down and then went on to other places. That ship has sailed.....

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 06:03 PM
It's Fleck's job if he wants it.

Bison"FANatic"
01-04-2017, 06:07 PM
Maybe he says let's do it again (and insists on Claeys as his assistant again)!

I doubt it

"I will never step foot in TCF Bank Stadium or the football facility ever again." Jerry Kill

https://twitter.com/PhilMackey/status/816706787445506050

BisonCardinal
01-04-2017, 06:11 PM

Wacker - Minnesota
Morton - Wisconsin
Bohl - Wyoming

Bison 4 Life
01-04-2017, 06:14 PM
I doubt it

"I will never step foot in TCF Bank Stadium or the football facility ever again." Jerry Kill

He's not planning on being at Rutgers that long?

Son of a Bison
01-04-2017, 06:15 PM
I doubt it

I was kind of making fun of Kill and Goph fans for still liking him even after leaving the UM, recruiting most of the perps, getting off without any blame for recruiting them, joining a big 10 rival and then stating he is not going back to TCF when it's his job at Rutgers to do just that about every other year. Claeys is the one that has fallen the most in all of this and I think Kill owes him one.

Mr Meaty
01-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Kill stated he won't step foot back on UM campus when Claeys was fired. I think the feeling is mutual after Kill stepped down and then went on to other places. That ship has sailed.....

Rutgers is in the Big10 and will probably end in at UM to play at some point.

siouxfan512
01-04-2017, 06:22 PM
He's not planning on being at Rutgers that long?

Sounds like another boycott to me

Bisonator98
01-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Maybe he'll phone in the play calls from Jersey. :)

mango
01-04-2017, 06:26 PM

Don't think they play in Minneapolis until 2020. He could be gone by then.

wagsabison
01-04-2017, 06:27 PM
I doubt it

Outside his health issues there must be more to why he left.

Claeys has 2 of MN's 7 bowl victories in the last 50 years or so.

Son of a Bison
01-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Does anyone else want Chuck the Pigskin to apply at UM?

Bisonwinagn
01-04-2017, 06:29 PM
I have a hard time believing the Ad at Minn doesnt already have someone in mind and probably did before they axed claeys yesterday. Which leads me to believe a deal is already done, or the AD knows the candidate.

Agreed. There had to of been a plan all along on who they were going to hire or they never would of made the change in January. They've known about the incident since the beginning of September and could of made the change right when the season ended. It seems they were waiting on Fleck to finish his season.
Only reason Klieman's name is mentioned is because he went to the same high school as the AD, nothing more. Probably required by law to interview a few people though.

BadlandsBison
01-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I've seen a good number of more "realistic" candidates listed than Bohl or Klieman. I would say they both have a very small possibility of getting a serious look. Just my opinion.

NDSUstudent
01-04-2017, 06:56 PM
I hope they hire Fleck, looks like a slightly better version of Brewster. His BS will wear thin in a hurry there if he isn't winning.

bisonmike2
01-04-2017, 07:38 PM
No way they hire Klieman. He's a solid hire for sure but with UM trying to build that athletes village they need to make a splash with this hire. Someone that's going to help with fundraising. It's gotta be someone like Fleck or Miles. I'd be very surprised if it's just a coordinator from another school.

ByeSonBusiness
01-04-2017, 07:42 PM
I hope they hire Fleck, looks like a slightly better version of Brewster. His BS will wear thin in a hurry there if he isn't winning.

Uhhh pretty much act act wears thin in a hurry if the team isn't doing well

Mr Meaty
01-04-2017, 08:28 PM
No way they hire Klieman. He's a solid hire for sure but with UM trying to build that athletes village they need to make a splash with this hire. Someone that's going to help with fundraising. It's gotta be someone like Fleck or Miles. I'd be very surprised if it's just a coordinator from another school.

I think it will be Bo P. :hide:

bisonmike2
01-04-2017, 08:41 PM
I think it will be Bo P. :hide:

I think Bo would be a good hire so there is a 0% chance he'd get hired by the Gophers.

Mr Meaty
01-04-2017, 08:53 PM
I think Bo would be a good hire so there is a 0% chance he'd get hired by the Gophers.

Probably true on that.

Son of a Bison
01-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Maybe Bohl and Bo should go in as co head coaches/D coord and seek out revenge on Nebraska. At least one game per year would be interesting for Goph fans (along with many others given the possibility of a Botantrum).

BYZEN
01-04-2017, 09:04 PM
Sounds like another boycott to me

They learned this fall that protesting, especially under false pretenses, is rewarded.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/11/Arson-fire-flames-indian-Native-American-Wednesday-GIF.gif

bisonaudit
01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
They learned this fall that protesting, especially under false pretenses, is rewarded.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/11/Arson-fire-flames-indian-Native-American-Wednesday-GIF.gif

Only if you can't recognize the difference between employing the language of sexual assault metaphorically and actual sexual assault.

BisonAccountant44
01-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Glen Mason said it best on Barrerio yesterday.

A lot of people don't know what they don't know about how to run a winning college football program, and that's OK. But a lot of people don't know what they don't know about it, think they know it all, and spend a lot of time around the UofM's program.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Green1
01-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Only if you can't recognize the difference between employing the language of due process metaphorically and actual due process.

Fixed your post.

Bison20
01-04-2017, 09:56 PM
I would be more worried about klieman taking a job that is open if the gophers hire a different head coach such as western Michigan. I would think bo Pelini would have a better chance as the gopher Coach with his time in the big 10 already

NDSUstudent
01-04-2017, 09:58 PM
I think Bo's history would give him no chance for the job. They just had a coach that did some things against the admin and Bo had some issues at Nebraska.

EC8CH
01-04-2017, 09:59 PM
I think Bo's history would give him no chance for the job. They just had a coach that did some things against the admin and Bo had some issues at Nebraska.

Bo is definitely not "Minnesota Nice".

MNLonghorn10
01-04-2017, 10:11 PM
WDAY TV News
1 min ·
JUST IN: Klieman says he has not been contacted about Minnesota job

Vet70
01-04-2017, 10:13 PM

Bo is definitely not "Minnesota Nice".

Do you guys mean things like this picture and his "F*** the fans" comment while he was at Nebraska?
http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/546/264/hi-res-26547db14df47f90589e9b518dd01bc4_crop_exact.jpg?w= 1500&h=1500&q=85

Vet70
01-04-2017, 10:15 PM
WDAY TV News
1 min ·

So he didn't say he wasn't interested.

ByeSonBusiness
01-04-2017, 10:32 PM
WDAY TV News
1 min ·

So do you think he got off the phone ten minutes before that or an hour?

Hammerhead
01-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Wacker and Morton were the coaches from 1976 to 1984 and we still had lots of upper midwest kids who were really good. The championship teams in the 80s had tons of players from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and the Dakotas like Jeff Bentrim, Mike Favor, Tony Satter, Chad Stark. and many More.

I don't see Minnesota "slumming it" and hiring a coach from a lowly FCS team.

Wacker - Minnesota
Morton - Wisconsin
Bohl - Wyoming

HerdBot
01-04-2017, 11:52 PM
So he didn't say he wasn't interested.

WDAY TV News
1 min ·

So do you think he got off the phone ten minutes before that or an hour?

I though all along that it was some bad journalism. You know Bohl is a candidate and if you notice in the article, it didn't mention Bohl as a candidate but mentioned Klieman. Probably a reporter that heard NDSU and doesn't know anything and saw that Klieman was the coach via a google serach... when in reality it was Bohl.

Not saying he won't be contacted but I just don't buy it

unbison
01-05-2017, 01:06 AM
I though all along that it was some bad journalism. You know Bohl is a candidate and if you notice in the article, it didn't mention Bohl as a candidate but mentioned Klieman. Probably a reporter that heard NDSU and doesn't know anything and saw that Klieman was the coach via a google serach... when in reality it was Bohl.

With bohla 6.5 million dollar buyout he is not a canidate

HerdBot
01-05-2017, 01:18 AM
With bohla 6.5 million dollar buyout he is not a canidate

To the Gophers that's chump change. To any Big Ten team that's chump change

unbison
01-05-2017, 01:19 AM
To the Gophers that's chump change

I disagree

Bison20
01-05-2017, 01:38 AM
I'm suprised that bohl has signed an extension earlier this year instead of waiting to see if he was contacted by another school.

2011BisonAlumni
01-05-2017, 01:48 AM
I'm suprised that bohl has signed an extension earlier this year instead of waiting to see if he was contacted by another school.

Kind of like how in 2013 he signed an 8 year extension with NDSU instead of waiting to feel out FBS offers?

2011BisonAlumni
01-05-2017, 01:50 AM

No your theory is flawed. Same guy who broke the story was quoted mentioning the connection between Klieman and Minnesota's AD due to them being on the same high school football team.

NDSUstudent
01-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Coordinators denying interest now.....Either he thinks Fleck has it locked up or the Gophers are going to have trouble finding a coach...

Jon KrawczynskiVerified account
‏@APkrawczynski
AP Sources with @ralphDrussoAP: Minnesota reached out to PSU OC Joe Moorhead about head job but was told Moorhead wasn't interested.

https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/816867427506069504

wagsabison
01-05-2017, 12:10 PM

I agree. I wonder if he's second guessing that at all.

wagsabison
01-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Coordinators denying interest now.....Either he thinks Fleck has it locked up or the Gophers are going to have trouble finding a coach...

https://twitter.com/APkrawczynski/status/816867427506069504

That would make perfect sense for this whole situation.

ndsubison1
01-05-2017, 03:26 PM
WDAY TV News
1 min ·

I like how people act as if this means anything

bisonmike2
01-05-2017, 03:55 PM
I like how people act as if this means anything

yeah, usually that means he's had 3 in person interviews. Although I really don't think he has at this point. I'm thinking UofM already knew who they were going to hire by the time the AD came out with the statement that Claeys has his full support and that he will continue to be the coach of Gopher football.

2011BisonAlumni
01-05-2017, 05:35 PM
yeah, usually that means he's had 3 in person interviews. Although I really don't think he has at this point. I'm thinking UofM already knew who they were going to hire by the time the AD came out with the statement that Claeys has his full support and that he will continue to be the coach of Gopher football.

They waited until the day after Western Michigan's bowl game to fire Claeys. PJ Fleck has also yet to sign a contract. I think the indications are that he is the guy.

bisonmike2
01-05-2017, 06:03 PM
They waited until the day after Western Michigan's bowl game to fire Claeys. PJ Fleck has also yet to sign a contract. I think the indications are that he is the guy.

Well there's no way it's Bohl. There's an article in the Pioneer Press about how this is the single most expensive coaching buyout in U of M history. No way they are going to spend almost 6 mill buying out the old coaches, followed by 6 million to buy out Bohl and then another 7 for him to fill out his staff. Man, Bohl has some shitty timing. He missed out on the Nebraska job the first time buy jumping ship to Wyoming early and I really think he could have had a decent shot at the Gopher job if he didn't just sign an extension with that massive buyout.

silkamilkamonico
01-05-2017, 06:16 PM
If Fleck is the guy I might have to jump on the Minnesota bandwagon.

tjbison
01-05-2017, 06:35 PM
CK is not getting the MN job, no way they Hire a FCS guy for thei inflated egos in Dinky town

Bison"FANatic"
01-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Well there's no way it's Bohl. There's an article in the Pioneer Press about how this is the single most expensive coaching buyout in U of M history. No way they are going to spend almost 6 mill buying out the old coaches, followed by 6 million to buy out Bohl and then another 7 for him to fill out his staff. Man, Bohl has some shitty timing. He missed out on the Nebraska job the first time buy jumping ship to Wyoming early and I really think he could have had a decent shot at the Gopher job if he didn't just sign an extension with that massive buyout.

I thought Claeys was only a 500,000 buyout??

tjbison
01-05-2017, 07:02 PM

that is what I heard on Insiders, 500K buyout

bisonmike2
01-05-2017, 07:12 PM

I'm going off of this.

http://www.startribune.com/next-questions-for-u-football-who-will-coach-and-for-how-much/409726345/

Claeys was one of the lowest-paid coaches in a major conference this season, making $1.4 million. He had two years and $3.1 million remaining on his contract, but the university instead paid him a $500,000 buyout.

But the university also fired most of Claeys’ staff, all except linebackers coach Mike Sherels and safeties coach Dan O’Brien. The salaries for the staff members were guaranteed through next season, so the university could eat an additional $4.5 million fulfilling those 13 contracts.

I was off by a million but it's still 5 mill to buy out Claeys and his staff. $500K for Claeys and $4.5 million for 13 staff members.

No wonder I pay so damn much in Minnesota income tax.:mad:

unbison
01-05-2017, 07:14 PM
It was but all assistants were given a year of salary and benefits

NDSUstudent
01-05-2017, 08:18 PM
CK is not getting the MN job, no way they Hire a FCS guy for thei inflated egos in Dinky town

I think if this Fleck thing falls through anything could happen.

Dan Barreiro said today that Fleck wants it to be more like "Row the yacht" to get him to Minnesota.

Bison"FANatic"
01-05-2017, 08:25 PM
I'm going off of this.

http://www.startribune.com/next-questions-for-u-football-who-will-coach-and-for-how-much/409726345/

I was off by a million but it's still 5 mill to buy out Claeys and his staff. $500K for Claeys and $4.5 million for 13 staff members.

No wonder I pay so damn much in Minnesota income tax.:mad:

Wow I can't believe they structured the assistant coaches salaries like that. Talk about a kick in the nuts to the pocketbook.

CAS4127
01-05-2017, 08:34 PM
Wow I can't believe they structured the assistant coaches salaries like that. Talk about a kick in the nuts to the pocketbook.

I read somewhere during this Bowl Season that each BIG school receives something like $226 million/year in TV money. If true, the Goofs will be just fine.

bisonaudit
01-05-2017, 08:37 PM
I read somewhere during this Bowl Season that each BIG school receives something like $226 million/year in TV money. If true, the Goofs will be just fine.

I think you need a decimal point in there?

ByeSonBusiness
01-05-2017, 08:39 PM
I think you need a decimal point in there?

Or change year to decade? Would both accomplish the same thing

EC8CH
01-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Or change year to decade? Would both accomplish the same thing

Wrong, Cash Flow Diagram much? Power of interest son.

NDSUstudent
01-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Now Les Miles is flying into the Twin Cities....Fleck might want to ask for a cheaper yacht to row.

ByeSonBusiness
01-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Wrong, Cash Flow Diagram much? Power of interest son.

Lol I'm speaking generally. But yes, power of interest!

StL Bison Fan
01-05-2017, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=NDSUstudent;1189931]Now Les Miles is flying into the Twin Cities....Fleck might want to ask for a cheaper yacht to row.[/

Former LSU football coach Les Miles flew to Twin Cities Wed. and is meeting with Univ. of Minnesota officials, sources tell @120Sports.

HerdBot
01-05-2017, 10:38 PM
Doogie Wolfson from ESPN1500 / KSPT weighs in, hour number 2

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-jan-5-2017-full-show

southcliffbison
01-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Now Les Miles is flying into the Twin Cities....Fleck might want to ask for a cheaper yacht to row.

Les Miles is my guess (if the dollar signs align).........highest profile head coach the gophers would have since old man Lou Holtz ran the circus.

MAKBison
01-05-2017, 10:51 PM
Doogie Wolfson from ESPN1500 / KSPT weighs in, hour number 2

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-jan-5-2017-full-show

That was a show today The Bizon are a true national brand, anyone that knows football new CW was the most pro ready QB etc...Jeff and JJ kill it with their guests

td577
01-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Les Miles is the best option for the Bison. His recruiting target list will never overlap NDSU's. Miles' footprint is nationwide and even when he targets homegrown talent, it will be talent that will have gone P5 anyways. He won't be looking for the diamonds in the rough or the 4 to 5 year projects. This is going to help NDSU's recruiting. Guys that were borderline B10 talent before in Minnesota are not going to become gophers anymore. If those guys want an opportunity to play close enough to home where their families can watch them play, still want to develop into D1 football talent, and have the character to work their butts off for 4 or 5 years, the road to Fargo is not very long.

I am hoping Miles is the choice they make. He is either going to turn the gophers into a top B10 program or the program will implode on itself. Either they will become too big for the type of student/athlete that works at NDSU or too much of a wreck to be much of any recruit's dream institution. In both of those scenarios, NDSU doesn't have to change the way it recruits.

MAKBison
01-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Les Miles is the best option for the Bison. His recruiting target list will never overlap NDSU's. Miles' footprint is nationwide and even when he targets homegrown talent, it will be talent that will have gone P5 anyways. He won't be looking for the diamonds in the rough or the 4 to 5 year projects. This is going to help NDSU's recruiting. Guys that were borderline B10 talent before in Minnesota are not going to become gophers anymore. If those guys want an opportunity to play close enough to home where their families can watch them play, still want to develop into D1 football talent, and have the character to work their butts off for 4 or 5 years, the road to Fargo is not very long.

I am hoping Miles is the choice they make. He is either going to turn the gophers into a top B10 program or the program will implode on itself. Either they will become too big for the type of student/athlete that works at NDSU or too much of a wreck to be much of any recruit's dream institution. In both of those scenarios, NDSU doesn't have to change the way it recruits.

I was thinking the same thing

MNLonghorn10
01-05-2017, 11:40 PM

Les Miles to Minnesota would make the Gophers regular season much more intriguing than NDSU's. Sorry, the quest to start another 5 peat with a terrible slate of games on the schedule doesnt move it any. No i wont be giving up my season tickets either.

td, I agree with what you say about how it effects NDSU.

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2017, 12:02 AM
Les Miles to Minnesota would make the Gophers regular season much more intriguing than NDSU's. Sorry, the quest to start another 5 peat with a terrible slate of games on the schedule doesnt move it any. No i wont be giving up my season tickets either.

td, I agree with what you say about how it effects NDSU.

You could just sell your tix and hang out at home slamming Jag bombs while singing the Rouser. Les is like an older, more accomplished PJ.

MNLonghorn10
01-06-2017, 12:12 AM
You could just sell your tix and hang out at home slamming Jag bombs while singing the Rouser. Les is like an older, more accomplished PJ.

not a bad idea.

bruinbison
01-06-2017, 01:05 AM
KSTP (Joe Schmit) saying it is Fleck as Gophers new coach

http://kstp.com/sports/university-of-minnesota-new-football-coach-pj-fleck-gophers-tracy-claeys/4363187/?cat=7

BisonTeacher
01-06-2017, 01:14 AM

http://kstp.com/sports/university-of-minnesota-new-football-coach-pj-fleck-gophers-tracy-claeys/4363187/?cat=7

Joe Schmidt is still in sports news?

CAS4127
01-06-2017, 01:24 AM

He's been tooting his own horn for quite awhile. Appears many in TC media are sick of him.

Not saying he is wrong, just saying.

aces1180
01-06-2017, 01:52 AM
Les Miles would be the U of M FB equivalent of Tubby Smith was for U of M BB...Might be decent, but won't do anything spectacular.

bisonaudit
01-06-2017, 01:56 AM
I've given Fleck all kinds of crap on here but why would you hire Les Miles to end his career when you could hire Fleck to start his?

You know exactly what you'll get from Miles and for sure it won't be enough. Fleck could flame out, sure, but he still has a chance to be great.

DakotaOkie
01-06-2017, 02:23 AM
I've given Fleck all kinds of crap on here but why would you hire Les Miles to end his career when you could hire Fleck to start his?

You know exactly what you'll get from Miles and for sure it won't be enough. Fleck could flame out, sure, but he still has a chance to be great.

Only because Miles has been successful as head coach at programs that U of MN dream about becoming (LSU, OK State) plus he has never been convicted of cheating (not implying anything about any other candidates!!). He was sacked at LSU because they had not become Alabama.

bruinbison
01-06-2017, 02:35 AM

Fox9 (KMSP) also reporting Fleck news now

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers/227375040-story

Jay
01-06-2017, 03:51 AM
Curious tweet by FootballScoop

Wondering how Minnesota fans would feel if Chris Klieman becomes their new head coach?

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 04:15 AM
Hmm.....

Bruce FeldmanVerified account
‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
Source tells @FoxSports that there is no deal in place between #Minnesota & #WMU's PJ Fleck.

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/817236042143191044

Adam RittenbergVerified account
‏@ESPNRittenberg
Western Michigan's P.J. Fleck remains a primary candidate at Minnesota but there is no deal in place yet, according to a source. .

https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/817236055405580289

Jay
01-06-2017, 04:27 AM
Such a fluid situation and Misinformation.

Our old friend Jamal Spencer

SOURCES: Fleck to Minny done deal. WMU players held players only meeting Thurs. night and they are NOT happy. Some feel used and betrayed...

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 04:33 AM

SOURCES: Fleck to Minny done deal. WMU players held players only meeting Thurs. night and they are NOT happy. Some feel used and betrayed...

I'll trust Jamal. Guy knows his stuff... And by stuff I mean soybean varieties.

MNLonghorn10
01-06-2017, 05:00 AM
Hell of a get. I thought they'd end up with some boring ACC offensive coordinator or a retread like Al golden but they got one of the prize fish.

I love pj fleck

GreenfieldBison
01-06-2017, 11:24 AM
Hell of a get. I thought they'd end up with some boring ACC offensive coordinator or a retread like Al golden but they got one of the prize fish.

I love pj fleck

CCO reporting here this am that they are still negotiating but did name Fleck.

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Fleck is a good hire. Great recruiter, built a garbage program up from nothing, and he's young and a great personality. I guess you need one to play Wedsday night ESPN games.

bisonmike2
01-06-2017, 11:33 AM
Kare 11 reporting it's Fleck.

Cue the rumors of Klienman to Western Michigan.

cbline
01-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Welcome to the world of stepping stone programs where coaches move up when they are successful. Sounds like how folks here felt when Bohl went to Wyoming.

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Kare 11 reporting it's Fleck.

Cue the rumors of Klienman to Western Michigan.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure if you want to take over a team that has peaked though. It's all downhill for Western Michigan.

As far as pay, Fleck made 800k. With incentives that will be tough to hit ever again, he made a about a million. He's the highest paid coach in the MAC.

Klieman with incentives is approaching 475k (includes min annual raises) , media fees, and incentives but is likely to see another raise.

And they would want to move quickly because before Jan 15th it's a 300k buyout which is a lot for a smaller school

I would like to see Teammakers step up and up Kliemans salary by at least 100k and get him to around 600k with incentives. Personally I would feel good seeing my money go there.

At Western Michigan, the school pays Fleck 225k but the rest is boosters (600k) who wanted to up Flecks salary much higher

Of course if you get your pay from boosters at Western Michigan, you are on a short leash and they own you

BisonAccountant44
01-06-2017, 12:43 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170106/544a111ce13893f4dd41f719ce23d808.jpg

Looks like it's Fleck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tjbison
01-06-2017, 01:14 PM
well he talked horses into rowing a boat can he make a gopher??

bisonp
01-06-2017, 01:23 PM
That's an interesting idea. Not sure if you want to take over a team that has peaked though. It's all downhill for Western Michigan.

Worked out OK for him in 2014. I would think that's a better situation and easier to deal with than what Bohl walked into.

Bisonator98
01-06-2017, 01:32 PM
How much is MN paying their defensive coordinator?

bisonp
01-06-2017, 01:36 PM
well he talked horses into rowing a boat can he make a gopher??

I don't know about rowing, but Gophers are familiar with boats. Kinda like a train, only on water. No sweat.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7b/b8/4d/7bb84d3f598e6e22bb8fe167d71d8ed5.jpg

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 02:08 PM
Worked out OK for him in 2014. I would think that's a better situation and easier to deal with than what Bohl walked into.

Disagree. We have the budget, facilities, and support to compete for a National Championship every year. We've done it since the 1960's.

Bohl went into a perfect situation because he took over a crappy team, got paid big to do it, and built it up to a great program. He's now set up to be a Power 5 conference head coach in the next few years when the buyout numbers fall. (unless the teams sucks and he gets fired like Joe Glenn did)

Klieman going to Western Michigan, realistically speaking, is a situation where they don't have the resources to compete and make it to a quality FBS Bowl. Anything less than an undefeated season and Bowl equal to what they got this year would be considered a failure. You have to either maintain something or build it up from scratch to be considered a success. Now if he could take a job at say... Bowling Green and build them up while getting paid better than what he is getting now... that will lead to a Power 5 job.

siouxfan512
01-06-2017, 02:35 PM
Fleck is a good hire. Great recruiter, built a garbage program up from nothing, and he's young and a great personality. I guess you need one to play Wedsday night ESPN games.

Once Fleck lost a big game to Wisconsin, it was pretty clear he was qualified to be a head coach for the Gophers.

jk, hope the guys take that program to the next level, and cleans up the culture a bit. Best of luck to him.

bisonp
01-06-2017, 02:37 PM
Disagree. We have the budget, facilities, and support to compete for a National Championship every year. We've done it since the 1960's.

Bohl went into a perfect situation because he took over a crappy team, got paid big to do it, and built it up to a great program. He's now set up to be a Power 5 conference head coach in the next few years when the buyout numbers fall. (unless the teams sucks and he gets fired like Joe Glenn did)

Klieman going to Western Michigan, realistically speaking, is a situation where they don't have the resources to compete and make it to a quality FBS Bowl. Anything less than an undefeated season and Bowl equal to what they got this year would be considered a failure. You have to either maintain something or build it up from scratch to be considered a success. Now if he could take a job at say... Bowling Green and build them up while getting paid better than what he is getting now... that will lead to a Power 5 job.

Last year at this time I don't think anybody here thought Bohl did the right thing. If he hadn't shown significant improvement this year he likely would have been fired instead of signing an extension.

So yeah by rebuilding a crap team in a difficult place to recruit Bohl increased his stock probably more than Klieman could do at W Michigan. But that doesn't make it a better opportunity or something Klieman is well suited for IMO. And I don't believe for a second that something less than an undefeated season would be considered a failure. They know perfectly well that's not the norm and their rockstar coach is gone and the reason he is gone is because their school can't pay anybody enough to stay there with that kind of success.

wagsabison
01-06-2017, 02:46 PM
Seems like a few of those MAC schools catch lightning in a bottle and have 1 or 2 good years. Northern Illinois and Kent State recently from what I can remember.

bisonmike2
01-06-2017, 03:04 PM
Once Fleck lost a big game to Wisconsin, it was pretty clear he was qualified to be a head coach for the Gophers.

jk, hope the guys take that program to the next level, and cleans up the culture a bit. Best of luck to him.

And they way he lost to them too. Provided just enough hope that one might think they had a chance but in reality, no way Wisconsin was losing that game. He'll do great at Minnesota.

BisonTeacher
01-06-2017, 03:14 PM

And they way he lost to them too. Provided just enough hope that one might think they had a chance but in reality, no way Wisconsin was losing that game. He'll do great at Minnesota.

This is sad but so true. I just keep thinking if minny had a shot at Miles and they didnt take it they just messed up big time. My gut is telling me Fleck is the flavor of the month MAC coach. I hope Im wrong.

bisonmike2
01-06-2017, 03:20 PM
This is sad but so true. I just keep thinking if minny had a shot at Miles and they didnt take it they just messed up big time. My gut is telling me Fleck is the flavor of the month MAC coach. I hope Im wrong.

I think so too. I don't really care if Minnesota does well or not I just think Les Miles provides instant credibility and a shot to bring in the best kids all of the country. I don't think he'd be as good as he was at LSU or OK St but the guy knows big games and it'd be fun to see what kind of team he could put on the field. That rah rah shit from Fleck is going to get old fast IMO.

"Row the boat" is not that far off from "Are you hungry or are you starving!"

Honeybooboo
01-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Seems like a few of those MAC schools catch lightning in a bottle and have 1 or 2 good years. Northern Illinois and Kent State recently from what I can remember.

ball st back in the early 2k's also, Buffalo had a top 25 run last decade, so your right

BisonTeacher
01-06-2017, 03:21 PM
That rah rah shit from Fleck is going to get old fast IMO.

Get that chili HOT!!!!

El_Chapo
01-06-2017, 03:22 PM
well... Change title to WMU !!

Honeybooboo
01-06-2017, 03:26 PM
I think so too. I don't really care if Minnesota does well or not I just think Les Miles provides instant credibility and a shot to bring in the best kids all of the country. I don't think he'd be as good as he was at LSU or OK St but the guy knows big games and it'd be fun to see what kind of team he could put on the field. That rah rah shit from Fleck is going to get old fast IMO.

"Row the boat" is not that far of from "Are you hungry or are you starving!"

Considering Fleck coached a team he built in a conference that went 0-6 in its Bowl games and his Schedule was weaker then several FCS teams, I agree, but he did turn a program that nobody ever heard of into a NY 6 team, although there were probably other teams that would have competed better with UW it is kind of a feel good story, now he will actually have to play/recruit against B1G P5 schools full time, is that the same as at WMU? nope

plus is the admin at MN really as bad as itt sounds? that may hinder him, i firmly believe Jerry Kill had enough of the BS going on in Dinky town and GTFO as we see he is now back into coaching when I believe he said he wasnt going to coach again. He has totally disconnected with MN

GreenfieldBison
01-06-2017, 03:41 PM
The story is getting better.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/04/with-coach-out-two-umn-regents-turn-attention-to-kaler-coyle/

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Fleck... what a badass coach. Check this out. And be sure to keep watching to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgzcHTElp5E&t=03s

StL Bison Fan
01-06-2017, 04:07 PM
The story is getting better.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/04/with-coach-out-two-umn-regents-turn-attention-to-kaler-coyle/

I have talked to three gopher fans/ boosters (one last night) and they are upset about the firing. Claeys was the best coach theyve ever had, he had his players backs, that little assault thing is blown out of proportion. I dont see things changing too soon if they are representive of the culture. I hope they arent.

bisonmike2
01-06-2017, 04:16 PM
I have talked to three gopher fans/ boosters (one last night) and they are upset about the firing. Claeys was the best coach theyve ever had, he had his players backs, that little assault thing is blown out of proportion. I dont see things changing too soon if they are representive of the culture. I hope they arent.

Ahh read that 80 page report. Not so much a little assault thing. Did Claeys deserve to get fired for that stupid tweet? Probably not. But when you combine all the stuff together you have a pretty toxic situation that really there was nothing left to do but to fire Claeys. And lets not forget the incident also included a 17 year old football recruit. That's someone Claeys is directly responsible for. I get that he can't control what 100 of his players are doing every night but the recruit, he better have a handle on who/what/where he is and when he's doing it. That's a direct failure on his part.

mango
01-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Considering Fleck coached a team he built in a conference that went 0-6 in its Bowl games and his Schedule was weaker then several FCS teams, I agree, but he did turn a program that nobody ever heard of into a NY 6 team, although there were probably other teams that would have competed better with UW it is kind of a feel good story, now he will actually have to play/recruit against B1G P5 schools full time, is that the same as at WMU? nope

plus is the admin at MN really as bad as itt sounds? that may hinder him, i firmly believe Jerry Kill had enough of the BS going on in Dinky town and GTFO as we see he is now back into coaching when I believe he said he wasnt going to coach again. He has totally disconnected with MN

WMU lost by 8 and it was a 7 point game going into the 4th quarter, so it wasn't like they got blown out.

bisonp
01-06-2017, 04:34 PM

Yeah, after watching that video I'm actually less impressed. More of a buddy than a leader. I remember a Vikings coach like that not long ago. Not sure he's the guy to implement the kind of culture change they need right now. Then again, I don't know if Les Miles was either but I do agree he would have given the program instant credibility. Probably beyond their budget anyway.

Who knows though, those are just my initial impressions.

NDSUBowler
01-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Ahh read that 80 page report. Not so much a little assault thing. Did Claeys deserve to get fired for that stupid tweet? Probably not. But when you combine all the stuff together you have a pretty toxic situation that really there was nothing left to do but to fire Claeys. And lets not forget the incident also included a 17 year old football recruit. That's someone Claeys is directly responsible for. I get that he can't control what 100 of his players are doing every night but the recruit, he better have a handle on who/what/where he is and when he's doing it. That's a direct failure on his part.
This.

Fleck is a bit of a wild card but his turnaround of WMU is really impressive and he is charismatic.

I remember laughing at the Row The Boat when it came out once he was hired...then he went 1-11 his first year and I continued to laugh. Then he goes 8-5 8-5 13-1. Oh...kudos to him for that one!

He legit changed the football culture at WMU in only a few years...both from players standpoint and fans standpoint (hiring stadium DJ and the RTB stuff).

Hopefully, he can do the same to the dumpster fire that is Gophers football.

Honeybooboo
01-06-2017, 04:42 PM
WMU lost by 8 and it was a 7 point game going into the 4th quarter, so it wasn't like they got blown out.

lets be honest, was WMU ever really in that game, Wisconsin seemed to play down in the second half, they totally trashed them in the first , but whatever i didnt find it all that competative

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2017, 04:53 PM
lets be honest, was WMU ever really in that game, Wisconsin seemed to play down in the second half, they totally trashed them in the first , but whatever i didnt find it all that competative

When you are onside kicking with a few minutes to go, down by 8 points, I'd call that competitive.

Wisconsin was definitely better, but WMU represented themselves very well.

BisonTeacher
01-06-2017, 04:53 PM
When you are onside kicking kicking with a few minutes to go, down by 8 points, I'd call that competitive.

Wisconsin was definitely better, but WMU represented themselves very well.

Or as one might say...BALLERZ?

IBleedYellow
01-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Now the WMU boards are starting to jump on the Coach K to WMU train.

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 04:55 PM

All that really matters is if they lost as good to Wisconsin as the Gophers typically do.

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Or as one might say...BALLERZ?

Without the Z lol, this is not 2003.

Bison 4 Life
01-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Jamal SpencerVerified account
‏@JamalWZZM13

What did they expect?

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Can the name of this thread now be changed to "Klieman a possible candidate for WMU Broncos job".

I feel that's the direction it will be going soon.

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 05:38 PM
I still don't get what is so great about Fleck, he won a bunch of games against a weak schedule and hasn't really had a signature win as a coach. Seems like a strange hire for a university that hasn't really had a huge win since Mason.

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2017, 05:42 PM
I still don't get what is so great about Fleck, he won a bunch of games against a weak schedule and hasn't really had a signature win as a coach. Seems like a strange hire for a university that hasn't really had a huge win since Mason.

Lol what else can he do? He took a bad bad team and made them pretty respectable. That doesn't merit a promotion to a middling P5? What else should he have to do toget the UMN job?

bisonaudit
01-06-2017, 05:43 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBAYIZpiEE

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Well he beat Northwestern and pretty much destroyed everyone in the MAC. Was respectable vs Wisconsin in a game they had no chance to win

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Jamal SpencerVerified account
‏@JamalWZZM13

What did they expect?

Yeah when you bust your ass off for a coach it stings. But it's just business, not personal

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Lol what else can he do? He took a bad bad team and made them pretty respectable. That doesn't merit a promotion to a middling P5? What else should he have to do toget the UMN job?

What is his best win as a coach? Toledo? Middle Tenn State? My comment has more to do with MN then Fleck, they wanted to transform their football program. Not sure hiring the next flavor of the year MAC coach is the answer.

They could have hired a coach that has won an FBS national championship. I'm not saying Les Miles is amazing, sometimes his coaching leaves me scratching my head but he has won a ton of big games.

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2017, 05:52 PM
What is his best win as a coach? Toledo? Middle Tenn State? My comment has more to do with MN then Fleck, they wanted to transform their football program. Not sure hiring the next flavor of the year MAC coach is the answer.

They could have hired a coach that has won an FBS national championship.

It was not that long ago that Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly were also flavor of the year MAC coaches.

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Well he beat Northwestern and pretty much destroyed everyone in the MAC. Was respectable vs Wisconsin in a game they had no chance to win

Illinois State also beat Northwestern and they were a middling MVFC team.

unbison
01-06-2017, 05:53 PM

They could have hired a coach that has won an FBS national championship.
Les miles??? He has been downhill ever since he ran out of Saban recruits .... most national press saying what a good hire it is some even calling a homerun

unbison
01-06-2017, 05:54 PM
How long till klieman is flying to Kalamazoo

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 05:58 PM
It was not that long ago that Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly were also flavor of the year MAC coaches.

Kelly won D2 titles, he was an accomplished coach before ever setting foot in the FBS. Meyer went from the MAC to the Mountain West, where he proved he was the real deal.

Again what is Fleck's big win? Seems like people want to give him credit for going toe to toe with Wisconsin.

siouxfan512
01-06-2017, 06:02 PM

I'll pull for MN to win (minus this last bowl game, because of the teams BS), but I'm hardly devastated when they lose. I agree Les Miles bring some credibility and can win you a few recruiting battles. Maybe Fleck's youth meshes well with relating to his player. I think Bohl would have done well, but also wouldn't have brought the same kind of credibility as a Les Miles, though Bohl had other positives (winning culture/attitude, knowing the local recruiting area). So if Bohl could have found success without the P5 pedigree, maybe Fleck can too.

The rah rah stuff will work, IF he produces on the field. If he team doesn't win, then people will get tired of him really fast.

Get that Chili hot!

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Kelly won D2 titles, he was an accomplished coach before ever setting foot in the FBS. Meyer went from the MAC to the Mountain West, where he proved he was the real deal.

Again what is Fleck's big win? Seems like people want to give him credit for going toe to toe with Wisconsin.

Fleck's success with the Broncos is comparable to Bubba's with the Fighting Hawks. In a few years he took a team from trash to one year of success with a conference title against a weak scheduled followed by a post season loss.

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 06:04 PM
Les miles??? He has been downhill ever since he ran out of Saban recruits .... most national press saying what a good hire it is some even calling a homerun

I remember when Kansas hiring Turner Gill was a home run. Seems like the MAC constantly churns these coaches out.

siouxfan512
01-06-2017, 06:05 PM

Again ... that is why Fleck is the perfect hire. A moral victory as your signature game is absolutely perfect for the University of Minnesota.

siouxfan512
01-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Fleck's success with the Broncos is comparable to Bubba's with the Fighting Hawks. In a few years he took a team from trash to one year of success with a conference title against a weak scheduled followed by a post season loss.

Won't totally disagree with you there. Don't get me wrong, it has been much more entertaining watching the Bubba teams, but when the Mussman teams are your measuring stick. Next season will say much more about UND when they play at MT and against E. Wash.

But your point is not lost on me. W Mich. was improved. UND was improved. BUT W. Mich hardly played the same schedule as an Alabama. UND hardly played the same schedule as an NDSU/UNI/E. Wash. Consistency is key ... if UND can start winning Big Sky titles and making the playoffs consistently, regardless of schedule strength, then Bubba's time at UND will be validated. Same for Fleck, if he can go to the U and win, without taking too many steps back, his ability will also be validated. Though if you find a winner in Fleck, you may be sitting good for a while with how young he is.

I will give the coaches credit for doing a better job of scheduling going forward though. Future FBS games with Utah, Washington and K-State; non conference games with NDSU, and Sam Houston (home and home).

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 06:15 PM
Won't totally disagree with you there. Don't get me wrong, it has been much more entertaining watching the Bubba teams, but when the Mussman teams are your measuring stick. Next season will say much more about UND when they play at MT and against E. Wash.

But your point is not lost on me. W Mich. was improved. UND was improved. BUT W. Mich hardly played the same schedule as an Alabama. UND hardly played the same schedule as an NDSU/UNI/E. Wash. Consistency is key ... if UND can start winning Big Sky titles and making the playoffs consistently, regardless of schedule strength, then Bubba's time at UND will be validated. Same for Fleck, if he can go to the U and win, without taking too many steps back, his ability will also be validated. Though if you find a winner in Fleck, you may be sitting good for a while with how young he is.

I will give the coaches credit for doing a better job of scheduling going forward though. Future FBS games with Utah, Washington and K-State; non conference games with NDSU, and Sam Houston (home and home).

Maybe UND should be worried about losing Bubba to WMU?

siouxfan512
01-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Maybe UND should be worried about losing Bubba to WMU?

Haha, maybe him and Klieman can share a plane ride to Kalamazoo.

Can't you just see the interview.

AD: Mr. Schweigert/Kliemann, what would you bring to WMU Football?

Schweigert/Kliemann: Row the boat!

AD: You're hired

HerdBot
01-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Coach K interview today. Small tidbit on the Gopher job.

NDSU Head Football Coach Chris Klieman 1 - 6-17
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/ndsu-head-football-coach-chris-klieman-1-6-17

The whole show kicks ass today with Phil Steele
https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/the-insiders-jan-6-2017-full-show

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 06:43 PM
I wonder if WMU will look at Ferris State's coach, was impressed with their program when they came here a few years ago.

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 06:46 PM
I wonder if WMU will look at Ferris State's coach, was impressed with their program when they came here a few years ago.

Thought he got canned for hitting a player too hard on the shoulder pads?

ByeSonBusiness
01-06-2017, 06:47 PM

I'm guessing he is lacking in big wins

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm guessing he is lacking in big wins

He's beaten GVSU a few times, about as big as it gets at that level outside of NWMSU.

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Thought he got canned for hitting a player too hard on the shoulder pads?

Looks like he still kept his job.

Green1
01-06-2017, 06:56 PM
I wonder if Fleck will go with a different catch phrase for his new job? Instead of "row the boat" maybe he could use a new phrase that speaks to the Minnesota fan base. How about "Cast the lure!" or "Pass the salt!"? Hmmm.... these need little work. Suggestions?

bisonp
01-06-2017, 06:59 PM
I wonder if Fleck will go with a different catch phrase for his new job? Instead of "row the boat" maybe he could use a new phrase that speaks to the Minnesota fan base. How about "Cast the lure!" or "Pass the salt!"? Hmmm.... these need little work. Suggestions?

Pull the Train!

StL Bison Fan
01-06-2017, 07:01 PM
Pull the Train!

Too soon. .

siouxfan512
01-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Row the boat? You Betcha!

or

Ya! Sure! Row the Boat!

EC8CH
01-06-2017, 07:11 PM

The "Row the Boat" trade mark is owned by WMU I believe.

BisonTeacher
01-06-2017, 07:13 PM
Pull the Train!

Man the Gang Plank?

Swab the Deck?

NDSUstudent
01-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Stir the Chili...To honor Brewster.

Son of a Bison
01-06-2017, 07:21 PM

Duping UM to the tune of 21,000,000. I would call that a big win.

mango
01-06-2017, 07:23 PM
The "Row the Boat" trade mark is owned by WMU I believe.

Correct, Row the Boat isn't coming to Dinkytown

Milkman
01-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Correct, Row the Boat isn't coming to Dinkytown"Ski U Mah" apparently has its origins in boat rowing.

U of M Rugby captain John Adams had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He incorrectly interpreted that phrase as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation and suggested it as a cheer for the University rugby team. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!" The slogan has been used to cheer on the Minnesota Golden Gophers athletics teams, and was written into the lyrics of University songs including the "Minnesota Rouser", "Go Gopher Victory", "Minnesota Fight" and "Minnesota March".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski-U-Mah_(slogan)

Also fitting that its origins include misinterpreting victory.

Bison bison
01-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Pull the Train!

It's "join the train!" or "all aboard! (no consent needed)

unbison
01-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Correct, Row the Boat isn't coming to Dinkytown

The AD at wmu expects pj to obtain those from the university

Son of a Bison
01-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Now the WMU boards are starting to jump on the Coach K to WMU train.

WMU has a better shot at getting Kill than Kleiman. Weird that Fleck and Kill coached together but then Fleck went to Rutgers and Kill ended up at UM. Now Kill is at Rutgers and Fleck is at UM.

Wonder why Fleck and Kill parted ways? Anyone know?

GRAFTONBISON
01-06-2017, 07:47 PM
The AD at wmu expects pj to obtain those from the university

Wonder if he can afford it?

Hammerhead
01-06-2017, 08:52 PM

Don't the Gophers have something like "Brick by Brick" to go along with the bricks you can see in the numbers on their jerseys?

Mr Pep Band
01-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Go more with a flood theme..... SANDBAG IT!!

td577
01-06-2017, 10:05 PM

They could have hired a coach that has won an FBS national championship. I'm not saying Les Miles is amazing, sometimes his coaching leaves me scratching my head but he has won a ton of big games.

Les Miles is an amazing recruiter. His coaching ability was always suspect. His win totals are a direct result of having the most talented teams on the field. That was what I find interesting about him and thought would put him at the top of any list for the gophers. The west is obviously the weaker of the two B10 divisions, talent will win you games in spite of coaching, and I don't know if he would have cost all that much more than Fleck. Miles has never gotten a program in trouble. The gopher administration would simply have to sit back and let him do his thing.

I really don't know enough about Fleck to know if he is the answer. Miles certainly would have not only been the safe choice, it probably would have been the best choice for where this program is at right now. I said it before, the gophers need seats filled, excitement in the stands, and hope. Miles would have delivered all of this. I am also guessing if there was any conversation between the gophers and any coach the gophers were saying they want a 6 year contract. Miles may not have been interested in that being a starting point. While his start was in the B10, maybe the only job he would ever take in the B10 is Michigan.

I wold have gone after Miles even knowing his coaching ability is questionable. His recruiting ability alone would be worth it. The stability of 10 win seasons on the back of superior talent would be worth it. The occasional flirtation with the CFP would be worth it. Miles could bring that. At some point, the gophers have to quit looking at themselves as a stepping stone program and actually just decide to be good. It could happen.

BisonTeacher
01-06-2017, 10:24 PM
"Ski U Mah" apparently has its origins in boat rowing.

U of M Rugby captain John Adams had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He incorrectly interpreted that phrase as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation and suggested it as a cheer for the University rugby team. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!" The slogan has been used to cheer on the Minnesota Golden Gophers athletics teams, and was written into the lyrics of University songs including the "Minnesota Rouser", "Go Gopher Victory", "Minnesota Fight" and "Minnesota March".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski-U-Mah_(slogan)

Also fitting that its origins include misinterpreting victory.

Kfans already got commercials with fleck saying ski u mah.

On a side note...so dumb. Nothing fires up today's kids like ski u mah or rah.

bisonp
01-06-2017, 10:27 PM
I don't see how Miles wouldn't have cost much more, and you are assuming the Gophers were able to make him an attractive offer. Not just with money but with the kind of control he would have.

But I agree with much of the rest of that. Coaching in college is about a lot more than x's and o's. I kind of feel that way about Klieman, that talent overcame a lot of poor on-the-field coaching. I think Miles would have been a better choice, I just don't know if that was ever all that realistic. More than I initially thought, I suppose, since he did actually fly in.

X-Factor
01-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Stir the Chili...To honor Brewster.

Local MSP radio station was making this comparison to Fleck earlier this morning.

td577
01-06-2017, 11:52 PM
I don't see how Miles wouldn't have cost much more, and you are assuming the Gophers were able to make him an attractive offer. Not just with money but with the kind of control he would have.

But I agree with much of the rest of that. Coaching in college is about a lot more than x's and o's. I kind of feel that way about Klieman, that talent overcame a lot of poor on-the-field coaching. I think Miles would have been a better choice, I just don't know if that was ever all that realistic. More than I initially thought, I suppose, since he did actually fly in.

He was making something like 4.3m at LSU. That isn't a lot more than Fleck is going to get at UM. I wonder if it was more about the 6 years. Then you add to that the kind of control part of it, like you said. It would be interesting how any conversation with Miles actually went. Maybe it was just a looksee to gain leverage with Fleck.

1979 Bison
01-07-2017, 05:34 AM
I may be out-of-line with my thoughts about Fleck, but does anyone else see some similarities with him to Bob Stitt at Montana? Not so much with the Xs and Os of the game, but from the standpoint of his hyperactive, gung-ho, hard charging in-your-face interaction with the team and the fans right out of the gate...really turns me off and I question whether that can be effective long term. Stitt has already proven to be a flash-in-the-pan, and his persona has mellowed somewhat after he has been humbled for two seasons. But Montana and/or Western Michigan administration and fans will be more patient with their coaches and probably cut them more slack than the Minnesota admin and fan base will. It seems to me that a new coach would be best received in Minnesota by being a little more conservative, measured but deliberate, especially with the history of coaches at Minnesota recently (I.e.: Mason, Brewster, and others etc.).

Aside from the new coach's personality and cheerleading/motivational capabilities, It still comes down to whether the new coach can win and win consistently!

SomeBeach
01-07-2017, 10:37 AM
I see more similarities between Fleck and Jim Wacker, former Bison coach. Wacker ran the kick-ass veer offense and his teams were fun to watch. But I understand his intensity eventually grew tiresome for some on his teams. Wacker's success here and in Texas didn't translate well at Minnesota. I wish Fleck better luck.

AKBison
01-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Not sure you can call PJ Fleck a flash in the pan, what he pulled off at WMU is pretty remarkable. However, I don't think he is the right guy for the Gophers. That town eats football coaches for lunch and a CEO type like Miles would have been a better fit. A 7-5 Fleck team in MN will grow old quick with his schtick. Who knows though, if there was ever a program that had an unearned giant ego to match Fleck, it's them.

MN_Moose
01-07-2017, 04:20 PM
University of Minnesota has long been characterized (both football and basketball) as career suicide. Will that trend continue with Fleck?

cx500d
01-07-2017, 06:29 PM
8. “We’re also going to recruit the finest student-athletes in the country, and you know where we’re going to start, and you know where we’re going to build walls up around? Our elite State of Minnesota, and that’s what I’m dedicated to. We’re going to draw a circle around six to seven hours around the Twin City area, and then we’re going to go to work, because we want to fill the bank every single game.”

From Fleck's 1st Presser....Looks like he's not going to let us have anymore recruits from MN.

unbison
01-07-2017, 07:47 PM
8. “We’re also going to recruit the finest student-athletes in the country, and you know where we’re going to start, and you know where we’re going to build walls up around? Our elite State of Minnesota, and that’s what I’m dedicated to. We’re going to draw a circle around six to seven hours around the Twin City area, and then we’re going to go to work, because we want to fill the bank every single game.”

From Fleck's 1st Presser....Looks like he's not going to let us have anymore recruits from MN.
I don't get all this talk have we ever beat out Minnesota for a kid they offered?

ZHerd
01-07-2017, 08:01 PM
I don't get all this talk have we ever beat out Minnesota for a kid they offered?

No and that's the problem. If they start offering more of the local talent NDSU is accustomed to grabbing it hurts our recruiting...unless we form great pipelines elsewhere

unbison
01-07-2017, 08:03 PM
I don't think he is talking about the players we recruit he is speaking about the kids leaving for Arkansas or notre dame or those types of schools

unbison
01-07-2017, 08:03 PM
So I still believe the better Minnesota is the more that's left for us

NDSUstudent
01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
I think he is talking about the elite recruits, MN bleeds a lot of talent to other schools.

ZHerd
01-07-2017, 08:04 PM
I don't think he is talking about the players we recruit he is speaking about the kids leaving for Arkansas or notre dame or those types of schools

I hope so

bisonaudit
01-07-2017, 08:21 PM
I think he is talking about the elite recruits, MN bleeds a lot of talent to other schools.

Who know Fleck was getting his talking points from Sid Hartman.

MNLonghorn10
01-07-2017, 08:26 PM
No and that's the problem. If they start offering more of the local talent NDSU is accustomed to grabbing it hurts our recruiting...unless we form great pipelines elsewhere

Maybe North Dakota should produce better football players at the high school level then

ZHerd
01-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Maybe North Dakota should produce better football players at the high school level then

With a larger corn diet

cx500d
01-07-2017, 08:44 PM

It better be western North Dakota then. Fleck said a circle 6-7 hours away, and that puts the eastern half of ND solidly in MN possession.

Vet70
01-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Fleck has stepped into a situation where he has more to worry about than drawing circles.

BlueBisonRock
01-07-2017, 09:27 PM
I always have to smile. There is a threat. What are we to do?

Do you think for a minute that Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State or the Irish are worried? They are inside of that circle... as are the recruiting grounds for a number of B10 teams.

Stay calm and kick ass when the opportunity presents.

thebigund
01-07-2017, 09:27 PM
So I still believe the better Minnesota is the more that's left for us

This is absolutely true. The more 4 and 5 star types they can land the more 3 and 2s there are that trickle down to the Dakota schools.

cx500d
01-08-2017, 01:50 AM
I always have to smile. There is a threat. What are we to do?

Do you think for a minute that Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State or the Irish are worried? They are inside of that circle... as are the recruiting grounds for a number of B10 teams.

Stay calm and kick ass when the opportunity presents.

I was trying to be sarcastic.

tjbison
01-08-2017, 02:52 AM
Fleck just took 6 guys away from WMU....ouch

BisonTeacher
01-08-2017, 02:56 AM

So the gophs are getting Mac recruits??? That will fix everything./purple.

Vet70
01-08-2017, 02:56 AM

Eh, just hijacking the boat. :rofl:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/minnesotas-recruiting-ranking-skyrockets-one-day-after-pj-flecks-arrival/ar-BBy0NpW?li=BBnb7Kz

Bisonwinagn
01-08-2017, 03:25 AM
So the gophs are getting Mac recruits??? That will fix everything./purple.

Well Western Michigan was better than MN last year so I'm sure getting some of those recruits will help. They were all 3 star recruits BTW.

El_Chapo
01-08-2017, 03:38 AM
NDSU ex coach Kenni Burns heading to Minnesota with Fleck?

Jay
01-08-2017, 05:56 AM

Dont be shocked if he flips our top rated recruit.

ndsubison1
01-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Dont be shocked if he flips our top rated recruit.

247 has Gindorff at 100% Minnesota