PDA

View Full Version : Will scheduling get "easier" because of the loss?

NDSUKurt
12-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Lets face it - the loss sucks. But if there is one possible upside to it, it could be the scheduling.

Do you think other teams - FBS and FCS - may be willing to schedule NDSU in the future knowing that were are "beatable"?

I have read that some FCS teams wouldn't even do home and homes with NDSU in the past during the streak. FBS teams (looking at you, Arkansas) would rather schedule MEAC teams because we win against the big boys.

I think the loss won't really help too much, but it may get some teams to at least answer the phone. Most FCS teams that we pay to come to Fargo are in desperate need of money and/or know they have no shot at the playoffs that season anyway, so they are fine being that body bag game. We may be able to get moderately better teams to come to Fargo for a guarantee now that we lost, but I still think most teams, FBS and FCS, are still going to turn us away in the near future.

Vet70
12-21-2016, 05:36 PM
It's not the first loss (and won't be the last) so we have always been "beatable." If any individual or team thinks that we won't continue to field competitive teams in the future I think they are mistaken. I don't see this single loss as making us a more attractive opponent.

HerdBot
12-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Definitely not.

EC8CH
12-21-2016, 05:42 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about not doing such a brutal schedule anymore. Need at least one good guaranteed cupcake a year.

NDSUKurt
12-21-2016, 05:47 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about not doing such a brutal schedule anymore. Need at least one good guaranteed cupcake a year.

I agree with you 100%. This season, we were forced to play 3 tough games because we could not find any easy opponent to play us.

Next year will be much easier with Robert Morris and Mississippi Valley State - 2 of the 10 worst FCS teams on the schedule.

Mr Pep Band
12-21-2016, 05:48 PM
I don't think it will because anyone in any Athletic Dept. will know their shit when it comes to college football (at least they SHOULD). They will have done their research and still see that we have a recent 5-peat and that our record since 2011 is 83-7 (2010 is 92-12). If they want a tough opponent, go ahead, schedule us. But if they are scared of a L, forget it. I just don't foresee mush of change in who we play in non-con games. One loss is not much compared to 100 games. :(

wagsabison
12-21-2016, 05:57 PM
I enjoyed the non-conference schedule this year but see some value in having a couple teams you can crush to allow the younger guys to play and build some depth.

ndsubison1
12-21-2016, 06:00 PM
Not as long as we keep beating Fbs teams

ZHerd
12-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately no. We can still beat good P5 teams. If anything, FBS scheduling just gets harder for JMU

NDSUstudent
12-21-2016, 07:12 PM
I don't think anything really changed. Team still went 12-2, beat Iowa, beat a number of great FCS teams, I'm not sure people want to know the kind of losing it would take to change perception that would make scheduling easier.

MrSnuffleupagus
12-21-2016, 07:25 PM
This season, much like the past 3 with Coastal Carolina, shows that FCS teams love to use stats and a record to hide behind when talking about ranking/seeding. *cough* Sam Houston*

These teams will continue to have a schedule filled with high school teams and continue to go 10-1, 11-0, etc, but then when they get to playoffs and face 'actual' playoff teams; crumble. NDSU needs to keep what they are doing and condition and build championship caliber teams, not hype them up all season only to have them devastated with humiliating losses because they haven't faced anyone all year.

/ramble

bruinbison
12-21-2016, 07:28 PM
From the JMU fan forum, they were saying before the game that
James Madison had tried for a home/home with NDSU.
Perhaps involving the last ESPN season opener.
Wouldn't mind seeing the Dukes again.
And they do draw well at home, so would look good on tv.
A nice game to help build the FCS brand, one east coast team plus NDSU.

EC8CH
12-21-2016, 07:34 PM
This season, much like the past 3 with Coastal Carolina, shows that FCS teams love to use stats and a record to hide behind when talking about ranking/seeding. *cough* Sam Houston*

These teams will continue to have a schedule filled with high school teams and continue to go 10-1, 11-0, etc, but then when they get to playoffs and face 'actual' playoff teams; crumble. NDSU needs to keep what they are doing and condition and build championship caliber teams, not hype them up all season only to have them devastated with humiliating losses because they haven't faced anyone all year.

/ramble

I agree, but this year ended up a bit extreme. MVFC is it's own meatgrinder. Maybe just lighten up a bit with the out of conference schedule. No DIIs but they don't ALL have to be FBS and playoff contending FCS teams either.

NDSUstudent
12-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Replace RMU or MVSU with an FBS opponent and we probably have the ideal schedule in my opinion. 1 cupcake, 1 FBS and 1 FCS playoff contender.

wagsabison
12-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Replace RMU or MVSU with an FBS opponent and we probably have the ideal schedule in my opinion. 1 cupcake, 1 FBS and 1 FCS playoff contender.

I agree....

bisonp
12-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I agree, but this year ended up a bit extreme. MVFC is it's own meatgrinder. Maybe just lighten up a bit with the out of conference schedule. No DIIs but they don't ALL have to be FBS and playoff contending FCS teams either.

Right, MVFC is the strongest conference in FCS. This year's team was 3 out-of-conference plays away from being unseeded.

I don't think this season is going to have any affect on P5 schools picking up the phone. That will take years.

Bison03
12-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Ha!! Is this thread serious?! The answer is, unfortunately, HELL NO!!

ZHerd
12-21-2016, 11:12 PM

/ramble

NDSU could schedule all cupcakes ooc and still not play that game because the MVC is going to test you irregardless who else is scheduled

ZHerd
12-21-2016, 11:14 PM

Id happily take an FBS and cupcakes. As long as we get an FBS game I could care less about the others. We'll see plenty of FCS playoof teams in conference play...and the playoffs

Bisonwinagn
12-22-2016, 02:48 AM
Not reading this thread the answer is clearly NOOOOOO!! How does one semifinal loss change anything?

MAKBison
12-22-2016, 02:53 AM
Not reading this thread the answer is clearly NOOOOOO!! How does one semifinal loss change anything?

it does not change a thing. We are going to be playing for Chippers for some time. The only way scheduling gets easier is when we are not considered the top. So ok, we are not the top team this year, but we are still the top program

NH/JMU Saxkow
12-22-2016, 05:48 AM
From the JMU fan forum, they were saying before the game that
James Madison had tried for a home/home with NDSU.
Perhaps involving the last ESPN season opener.
Wouldn't mind seeing the Dukes again.
And they do draw well at home, so would look good on tv.
A nice game to help build the FCS brand, one east coast team plus NDSU.

Yes, the rumor from this summer was that the opening game was supposed to be JMU at NDSU. Our admin was for it if we could get a return game - but apparently NDSU didn't want that. The fans on our board were pissed (but we didn't know who exactly to be mad at since we didn't know exactly what was true). We would love to get a series going with you guys.

NH/JMU Saxkow
12-22-2016, 05:55 AM
Unfortunately no. We can still beat good P5 teams. If anything, FBS scheduling just gets harder for JMU

No - we've already been dealing with those challenges to some extent since our first championship, but even more so since our win over Virginia Tech. It's no coincidence that we do not have any future dates with Tech anytime soon. We have gotten some other good I-A teams (even got a neutral-site game with WVU a couple of years ago). But for the I-AA teams, most of the contenders want nothing to do with us - so we get stuck with Pioneer and NEC opponents.

ZHerd
12-22-2016, 06:11 AM
No - we've already been dealing with those challenges to some extent since our first championship, but even more so since our win over Virginia Tech. It's no coincidence that we do not have any future dates with Tech anytime soon. We have gotten some other good I-A teams (even got a neutral-site game with WVU a couple of years ago). But for the I-AA teams, most of the contenders want nothing to do with us - so we get stuck with Pioneer and NEC opponents.

It maybe has been more difficult to find takers but it's still relatively easy for you. You guys just announced this season FBS opponents for the next three years (I'm jealous). "Difficult" is when everyone hangs up the phone and you are lucky to land one every four years starting a bazillion years from now. If you are able to maintain a level of beating teams like NDSU and winning FBS games and nattys you'll learn what difficult is

NH/JMU Saxkow
12-22-2016, 06:14 AM
It maybe has been more difficult to find takers but it's still relatively easy for you. You guys just announced this season FBS opponents for the next three years (I'm jealous). "Difficult" is when everyone hangs up the phone and you are lucky to land one every four years starting a bazillion years from now. If you are able to maintain a level of beating teams like NDSU and winning FBS games and nattys you'll learn what difficult is

Hopefully, when we get to that point, we'll be on our way to moving up to I-A.

ZHerd
12-22-2016, 06:24 AM
Hopefully, when we get to that point, we'll be on our way to moving up to I-A.

Noooo! As long as NDSU is FCS im glad to see teams that raise the quality of ball in the subdivision to the point of having teams that can beat FBS teams and us. Right now there is still a lot of high quality D1 ball being played and you could pick out a handful of teams from this year's playoff that could beat many P5 teams or at least make life miserable for them. There are enough good teams that the playoffs are intense, challenging and fun and winning the FCS championship means something. But...no more good program losses. Please talk your AD out of moving up

IBleedYellow
12-22-2016, 03:51 PM
Anyone posting here knows that just because we lost doesn't mean the Bison are going anywhere.

MAKBison
12-22-2016, 04:36 PM

I am honestly ok with that type of schedual for us. One thing that hurt us this year was injury and the inability to develop depth (key seasone ending injuries at all three levesl of the D and multipleplayers playing wtih injuries along the TE and O line). The MVFC is certainly challenging enough. Thus i am finw with going back to the OC foromula of an FBS and or one top shelf FCS and two Cpuffs.

Bison bison
12-22-2016, 04:46 PM
I think scheduling will become super easy.

With the loss on Friday, NDSU has clearly become a mediocre team, at best. Hell, might be lucky to win a game in 2017.

Milkman
12-22-2016, 04:51 PM

With the loss on Friday, NDSU has clearly become a mediocre team, at best. Hell, might be lucky to win a game in 2017.You wouldn't happen to live in Jamestown would you?

BYZEN
12-22-2016, 04:56 PM

With the loss on Friday, NDSU has clearly become a mediocre team, at best. Hell, might be lucky to win a game in 2017.

So YOU'RE James K. from Jamestown! Good to know these things...

Milkman
12-22-2016, 05:02 PM
So YOU'RE James K. from Jamestown! Good to know these things...Last edited by BYZEN; Today at 11:58 AM. Reason: Didn't see the Milkman had delivered! - haha well played!

cx500d
12-22-2016, 05:53 PM
I agree with you 100%. This season, we were forced to play 3 tough games because we could not find any easy opponent to play us.

Next year will be much easier with Robert Morris and Mississippi Valley State - 2 of the 10 worst FCS teams on the schedule.

We should have scheduled a cupcake like Sam Houston

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NH/JMU Saxkow
12-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Noooo! As long as NDSU is FCS im glad to see teams that raise the quality of ball in the subdivision to the point of having teams that can beat FBS teams and us. Right now there is still a lot of high quality D1 ball being played and you could pick out a handful of teams from this year's playoff that could beat many P5 teams or at least make life miserable for them. There are enough good teams that the playoffs are intense, challenging and fun and winning the FCS championship means something. But...no more good program losses. Please talk your AD out of moving up

Maybe we could get the MAC to take both of us?

Bisonwinagn
12-22-2016, 06:56 PM

We don't want to play down to that level.

NH/JMU Saxkow
12-22-2016, 06:59 PM
I am honestly ok with that type of schedual for us. One thing that hurt us this year was injury and the inability to develop depth (key seasone ending injuries at all three levesl of the D and multipleplayers playing wtih injuries along the TE and O line). The MVFC is certainly challenging enough. Thus i am finw with going back to the OC foromula of an FBS and or one top shelf FCS and two Cpuffs.

It's understandable to have one creampuff for the 1st game of the season, but it sucks when it's more than that. This year, our home schedule was Morehead State, Central Connecticut State, Delaware, W&M, URI, and Elon. None of those teams were good (although W&M being bad was a surprise). Only one game - Parent's Weekend - was a sell-out. There was no excitement for the team until we got to the "meat" of our schedule in early November.

Bison Loaf
12-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Last edited by BYZEN; Today at 11:58 AM. Reason: Didn't see the Milkman had delivered! - haha well played!

The Milkman knows milk, man.

ZHerd
12-22-2016, 07:18 PM

I would like getting to play annual P5 games but that would be the only draw. I think the MVC is playing better football than the MAC. The MVC won 3 P5 games this year...THREE, and others had their P5 opponents on the ropes. As ridiculous as it sounds that could be a step down. Also, at this stage, the FCS playoffs are also better football and more meaningful than MAC games would be