PDA

View Full Version : 12/3/2011

jmuroadkill
12-12-2016, 06:41 PM
12/3/2011
I was at the Fargo Dome that day. Here is what I remember, but I must admit I got a lot of the details from the box score from that game.

The previous week we had won a hard fought battle against EKU. We out played them, out statted them but it took a FG near games end on a swirling windy day to eke out a win. It was a very tough game physically, it took its toll on us, we had a lot of banged up guys.

In Fargo it was cold and blustery but not nearly as bad as predicted for later this week. We got in a day ahead of time and hit some bars downtown that night. We wore JMU stuff and barely got a look from the locals. The next day we killed time at the Mall where Roger Maris's Museum is located. Lots of folks roaming around and now we were noticed and were getting welcome to Fargo remarks with some folks thanking us for making the trip. ( I fought the urge to say: WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT?, and decided that the folks actually were being nice.) The game was at 3pm and we ended up back downtown looking for lunch and found ourselves in the Radisson where the team was staying. Actually we went in to use the restrooms, I guess you could call it a peeliminary round. Low and behold in the restroom was an older Bison fan wearing a Green jacket and we struck up a conversation. He turned out to be Roger Maris's brother-in-law who was in his 80's then but also still working part-time at the Radisson. I learned more about Roger Maris from him than I did at the museum!

Onto the game we went. Parked fairly close to the entrances and headed in, eyes peeled for Purple and not seeing much. I decided to do a Quarterfinal Pee and discovered lots of tailgaters in there with the same problem, those young bucks can pee gallons as I danced for my turn. I almost got peed on as the guys to the left and right of me did a double-take when they saw Purple.

We had good sideline seats right behind our defense. Our section was mostly empty and ushers kept others from coming in, and to protect us, I imagine. (I hear we are in the corner this year?)

It was a close game 7-7 when NDSU kicked a killer FG with no time left on the clock at the half to go up 10-7. That was a momentum builder for sure, and it sagged us.

In the second half, NDSU built the lead to 19-7, our only positive highlight was when they false started on their extra point conversion and was penalized 5 yards, we then blocked the kick. I guess it was too quiet for them.

What was worrisome, too, was the number of our guys going to the bench with injuries. The worse was when our outside linebacker went down, I think it was Pat Williams, but defer to anyone who remembers better than a 70 year old. We scored on a trick play where WR Kerby Long reversed roles with our QB Justin Thorpe and hit him for a long TD pass. Now it was 19-14 and remembering "Dumb and Dumber" thought there's hope! Actually I was thinking: Hey we can win this thing! Maybe.

We kickoff out of bounds and NSDU got the ball on the 40. Ugh. (and, now remember that our stud outside LB is hurt and not playing). So first and ten for NDSU and bam they run the ball around that corner and our sub had nary a chance to contain and seal, HOME RUN 60 yd TD 26-14.

Technically there was still time for a miracle comeback, but remember this is 2011 and we took our time on offense, even when behind we had no hurry-up. Our final drive ended in an end of game interception on the 2 yard line after moving the ball 48 yards in 14 plays! Have we had a 14 play drive this year?

If you look at the statline for the game. it was close in all categories except the score.

Anyway that is how I remember 12/3/2011

After the game we drove in a snow storm to Minneapolis to get to a hotel for an early am departure.

In looking over the box score, three current NFL players were on that team.

Bison"FANatic"
12-12-2016, 06:58 PM
The building may be the same but you will find new turf, better lighting and new kick ass video boards. You will also find a crowd and team that was then just a amateur at this playoff thing, that is no longer the case.

tony
12-12-2016, 07:06 PM
I remember a closely-fought, physical game in which NDSU really played conservatively on offense. The one play I remember in particular was that TD pass from a WR or somebody to your QB because it really made the game interesting. I had forgotten about the long FG right before half, but, yep, that was s huge play.

IzzyFlexion
12-12-2016, 07:18 PM
The building may be the same but you will find new turf, better lighting and new kick ass video boards. You will also find a crowd and team that was then just a amateur at this playoff thing, that is no longer the case.

8,500 square feet and 8,000,000 LEDs...................

Spectacular!
http://kramersapartment.com/wp-content/uploads/jackie-chiles-the-finale-seinfeld-4.jpg

NDSUstudent
12-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Yeah, your team will be glad not to have to play on that horrible turf we used to have. The Dome is much improved since 2011.

Bison"FANatic"
12-12-2016, 07:22 PM
8,500 square feet and 8,000,000 LEDs...................

They worked well last weekend when showing and showing and showing knees not down when QB getting sacked and seeing a certain player throw a nice wind up punch.

Nel360
12-12-2016, 09:18 PM
I also remember how JMU got to 14. Half back pass/trick play

Bison 4 Life
12-12-2016, 09:24 PM
All I remember is a week of weed jokes leading up to that game.

StL Bison Fan
12-12-2016, 09:34 PM
All I remember is a week of weed jokes leading up to that game.

Is there a thread. Or is it in the dust bin of history?

Bison 4 Life
12-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Starts here http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25637-Tell-us-about-JMU-and-EKU/page2

Professor Chaos
12-12-2016, 09:42 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25829-GDT-NDSU-vs-James-Madison-FCS-Playoffs-2nd-Round

southcliffbison
12-12-2016, 09:48 PM
the fg kicker who hit the 40 plus yarder on the last play of the 2nd quarter was Ryan Jastram .

Professor Chaos
12-12-2016, 09:51 PM
the fg kicker who hit the 40 plus yarder on the last play of the 2nd quarter was Ryan Jastram .
It was a 53 yarder actually. I don't recall exactly but it either bounced off the bottom crossbar on it's way through or was damn close. It definitely was the limit of his range.

Winning is Gr8
12-12-2016, 10:16 PM
Maybe we could play outside this week- like the good old 80's. Bet that turf would hurt when you went down in this cold.

Kingslayer
12-13-2016, 03:44 AM
Why not? Vikes did it last year!

Christopher Moen
12-13-2016, 06:08 AM
Why not? Vikes did it last year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFNE2FpKOE

Seriously, you walked right into that headlock!

THEsocalledfan
12-13-2016, 12:09 PM
I remember watching this game in New Orleans, LA with some friends. On at the same time as the SEC title game, I think. Everyone was watching the SEC game, while we had one TV for the Bison. When DJ broke the back breaking run, I was out of my chair jumping and cheering him on. Fit right in with the SEC fans!

Bison"FANatic"
12-13-2016, 12:48 PM
I remember watching this game in New Orleans, LA with some friends. On at the same time as the SEC title game, I think. Everyone was watching the SEC game, while we had one TV for the Bison. When DJ broke the back breaking run, I was out of my chair jumping and cheering him on. Fit right in with the SEC fans!

You should have been buying season tickets, not going to New Orleans. ☺😂 just think of the time it would have saved you

THEsocalledfan
12-13-2016, 01:14 PM
You should have been buying season tickets, not going to New Orleans. ☺�� just think of the time it would have saved you

Smack deserved......

MNLonghorn10
12-13-2016, 01:27 PM
I remember their allotment throwing steamers. I hope they picked them up.

Other than that, that game was many wins ago. Nothing to remember

JDZ
12-14-2016, 08:47 PM
I remember their allotment throwing steamers.
Gross.

10 char

MNLonghorn10
12-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Gross.

10 char

it was disgusting. I felt for the entire student section. or all that was left after it was decided that the game was over

thedukesarehere
12-15-2016, 01:08 AM
I remember their allotment throwing steamers. I hope they picked them up.

Other than that, that game was many wins ago. Nothing to remember

Going to a lot more streamers thrown on Friday night my friend.

MNLonghorn10
12-15-2016, 01:11 AM
Going to a lot more streamers thrown on Friday night my friend.

gonna be weird when its well out of hand in the 3rd qtr.

thedukesarehere
12-15-2016, 01:57 AM
gonna be weird when its well out of hand in the 3rd qtr.

You don't think you'll be able to hang with us past the third quarter?

MNLonghorn10
12-15-2016, 02:02 AM
You don't think you'll be able to hang with us past the third quarter?

you'll have to excuse me. I thought you threw the streamers after your first score and hosting college gameday for a game you end up losing. I figured after NDSU is up by so much in the 3rd qtr and you finally scored. youd toss em

HandoEX
12-15-2016, 02:20 AM
JMU was better than Lehigh (11-1) or Georgia Southern (11-2) that playoff season in the Fargo Dome and as good as Sam Houston State from what I remember.

JMU DLS
12-15-2016, 02:52 AM
you'll have to excuse me. I thought you threw the streamers after your first score and hosting college gameday for a game you end up losing. I figured after NDSU is up by so much in the 3rd qtr and you finally scored. youd toss em

Because I'm not sure if you're serious about the 1st score part, I'm gonna go ahead and let you know we throw streamers after every score, turnover, and every time the BAND plays Bill Chase's "Get it On".

Mr Pep Band
12-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Because I'm not sure if you're serious about the 1st score part, I'm gonna go ahead and let you know we throw streamers after every score, turnover, and every time the BAND plays Bill Chase's "Get it On".

Then you will throw them TWICE! :biggrin:

Those two scores being FG's. :bong:

tjbison
12-15-2016, 03:36 PM
only thing I remember is streamers and the win, I got F***ed up in the tailgate lots!!!

MNLonghorn10
12-15-2016, 03:38 PM
only thing I remember is streamers and the win, I got F***ed up in the tailgate lots!!!
Obviously you didn't get fucked up if you can remember it 5 years later

tjbison
12-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Obviously you didn't get fucked up if you can remember it 5 years later

i remember the streamers because i read the thread, and yes I did get fucked up but i do remember the win

if I did now what I did 5 years ago I probably would be hung over till thursday next week.

MNLonghorn10
12-15-2016, 03:46 PM
i remember the streamers because i read the thread, and yes I did get fucked up but i do remember the win

if I did now what I did 5 years ago I probably would be hung over till thursday next week.
that is the goal and another reason why Friday games rule. Don't lose Saturday and Sunday hungover