PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Schedule

Bison_Kent
12-06-2005, 02:36 AM
I just noticed that the Northeastern game was moved back a week on the gobison.com website.

Here is the 2006 schedule so far:
Sep 16 Northeastern University
Sep 23 @ Ball State University
Sep 30 @ Stephen F. Austin
Oct 28 @ Southern Utah
Nov 04 @ UC Davis
Nov 11 Cal Poly
Nov 18 South Dakota State

Open Dates with four to be filled:
Sep 2
Sep 9
Oct 7
Oct 14
Oct 21

I would assume the Concordia-St. Paul rumored game will be the Sep 2 game.

Looking at the footballscoop.com and afac.com websites for open dates, here is the following I-AA school options for each date minus Sep 2.

Sep 9: Liberty, McNeese State, Montana State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Sam Houston State, Furman, Southeast Missouri State

Oct 7: Coastal Carolina, Liberty, Furman

Oct 14: Drake, Liberty, Southeast Missouri State, Northern Arizona (?)--say 10/17

Oct 21: Butler, Georgetown, North Carolina A&T, Liberty

Gully
12-06-2005, 03:56 PM
I think we should schedule Liberty and kick the crap out of Fallwell.

IowaBison
12-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Drake is also available on the ninth of September, thought I wish Drake was scholarship, I still be pretty excited to see the Bison play the Bulldogs.

I'd also like to see us play S.F. Austin.

Bison_Kent
12-06-2005, 06:38 PM
NDSU is playing SFA on Sept. 30 in Texas. *I believe there is a return trip to Fargo in 2007. *

Sam Houston looks like a real possibility too. *I would like Furman, at least a semi-finalist this year. * McNeese State is another team I would like to see on the Bison schedule. *

I would like Coastal Carolina too see how good they are. *They were within a win in their last game of making the playoffs this year. *

kchats
12-06-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree Bison Kent I think NDSU, SDSU, UC-Davis and Cal-Poly should schedule the teams from the southern conference so the merger can happen and an autobid can be gained.

JBB
12-06-2005, 06:47 PM
So far, if it holds, thats a good buildup to Ball State. Any of those teams on the 9th would be great. Good spot for an away game if we start a new home/home. Any chance Montana State could do their end of our home/home on the 9th?

9/2: D2 team at home
9/9 ?
9/16 NE at home
9/23 D1-A Ball State on the road

IowaBison
12-06-2005, 07:21 PM
NDSU is playing SFA on Sept. 30 in Texas. *I believe there is a return trip to Fargo in 2007. *

Sam Houston looks like a real possibility too. *I would like Furman, at least a semi-finalist this year. * McNeese State is another team I would like to see on the Bison schedule. *

I would like Coastal Carolina too see how good they are. *They were within a win in their last game of making the playoffs this year. *

My bad, I meant Sam Houston.

Gamehunter
12-06-2005, 07:54 PM
I agree Bison Kent I think NDSU, SDSU, UC-Davis and Cal-Poly should schedule the teams from the southern conference so the merger can happen and an autobid can be gained.

The Southern conference already has an autobid of their own, per see Furman.

DenverBison05
12-06-2005, 11:14 PM
I think they meant the big south conference

kchats
12-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah whichever conference they were talking about merging with. There are too many conferences with south in their name.

Bisonguy
12-06-2005, 11:29 PM
The season opener opponent for next season will be announced tonight on the WDAY 6:00 sports. The teaser on the 5:00 news said something about a "familiar face".......

Gamehunter
12-06-2005, 11:33 PM
The season opener opponent for next season will be announced tonight on the WDAY 6:00 sports. The teaser on the 5:00 news said something about a "familiar face".......

Sounds like C-SP could fit that description.

Rodentia
12-06-2005, 11:34 PM
The Gread West should merge with the Big South to become the "Great Big Southwest Conference"

bisondad
12-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I like that one!!!

Gamehunter
12-07-2005, 12:11 AM
The Gread West should merge with the Big South to become the "Great Big Southwest Conference"

and down the tube goes our strength of schedule and overall conference strength....the Big South is anything but big.

Bisonguy
12-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Yup, it's Concordia St. Paul, under former Bison OC, Mark Mauer.

The game will be Aug. 31st or Sept. 2nd

Taylor stated that this will be the only DII game for the year. He is also in talks with Portland State, McNeese State, and Furman.

Bison_Kent
12-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Concordia-St. Paul is official

Sep 2 Concordia-SP
Sep 16 Northeastern University
Sep 23 @ Ball State University
Sep 30 @ Stephen F. Austin
Oct 28 @ Southern Utah
Nov 04 @ UC Davis
Nov 11 Cal Poly
Nov 18 South Dakota State

Furman, Portland State, and McNeese State are in talks for the other games. Very good IMO

Bison_Kent
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Sorry for the duplicat BG.

WYOBISONMAN
12-07-2005, 12:30 AM
That is a great schedule once again.....cudos to Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl. Bison Football 2006 will be more exciting than ever!

somebison
12-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Yup, it's Concordia St. Paul, under former Bison OC, Mark Mauer.

The game will be Aug. 31st or Sept. 2nd

Taylor stated that this will be the only DII game for the year. He is also in talks with Portland State, McNeese State, and Furman.

I love Furman's scheduling attitude , they will play anybody

Bison_Kent
12-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Furman is still playing this year too. In my opinion, it is better to play the best in the regular season to get ready for the postseason.

WYOBISONMAN
12-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Furman is still playing this year too. *In my opinion, it is better to play the best in the regular season to get ready for the postseason. *

Amen Kent!

DIBISON
12-07-2005, 12:43 AM
I think Taylor & Bohl have laid out their scheduling priorities for not only 2006 but years after.

It seems like it will be 1 - DII game, 1 - DIA game, and 9 - DIAA games for a 11 game schedule. And forget about und as the DII game!!

bisongold
12-07-2005, 01:07 AM
Sounds perfect to me!

BisonMav
12-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Almost sounds like a NDSU conection with Mauer coaching Concordia. I don't mind playing DII teams while we are in I-AA limbo (Non-playoff eligible). Probably put up a better game than Arkansas Monticello. Once the Bison are playoff eligible, I can see the DII game going away.

SDbison
12-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Playing CSP for an opener sounds like crap to me. Sorry guys but I find it hard to believe that CSP is a great game or helps make a great schedule. Just cause Mauer is their coach doesn't mean we should play them. We need DI-AA exposure now, even if a potential loss. Playing against a DI-AA opponent helps build a strong team that is familiar with that level of play. A whipping of a DII team does little, not to mention the lowering of attendance that will result. Need I say it, I was very disappointed by this announcement. Sounds like something the boys from up north would do. :(

somebison
12-07-2005, 02:42 AM
As a IAA team if you want to play 6 home games and a IA opponent you are going to have to play a DII opponent more often than not. Finances dictate it. Deal with it and move on.

sambini
12-07-2005, 02:48 AM
I have no problem with it and welcome CSP AND COACH MAUER TO FARGO.

bisonranch
12-07-2005, 02:52 AM
A DII every few years isn't all bad. We were glad when Montana scheduled us a few years back, we can return the favor.

BisonBacker
12-07-2005, 03:09 AM
A date filled with a game is better then no game but I too would much rather see a DI team on our schedule. I agree that teams in a conference a step above sometimes need to play a team but using the Montana game as an example is comparing apples to oranges. They knew NDSU was moving up and we were looking at testing the DIAA waters. You can hardly say that CSP is the same. They are not looking at moving up and this will be a blowout, not much better then a practice. I'm not taking anything away from CSP but how can they compete or how can the Bison see this as a measuring stick? We gave the folks up North Crap about scheduling lesser teams, I see this as being much the same. :'(

BisonBacker
12-07-2005, 03:14 AM
One other thing guys, we ridiculed the folks up North for scheduling teams they never should have scheduled, now we do this. We just gave them another years worth of ammo on posts to give us crap about. I can see it coming now and who could blame them.

SDbison
12-07-2005, 03:44 AM
As a IAA team if you want to play 6 home games and a IA opponent you are going to have to play a DII opponent more often than not. *Finances dictate it. *Deal with it and move on.
Explain how finances dictate it Hansel

SDbison
12-07-2005, 03:49 AM
A DII every few years isn't all bad. *We were glad when Montana scheduled us a few years back, we can return the favor.
Bisonranch, so far its been one DII every year, along with one NAIA two seasons ago. Hardly the same as scheduling a DII every third year.

SDbison
12-07-2005, 03:52 AM
A date filled with a game is better then no game but I too would much rather see a DI team on our schedule. *I agree that teams in a conference a step above sometimes need to play a team but using the Montana game as an example is comparing apples to oranges. *They knew NDSU was moving up and we were looking at testing the DIAA waters. *You can hardly say that CSP is the same. *They are not looking at moving up and this will be a blowout, not much better then a practice. *I'm not taking anything away from CSP but how can they compete or how can the Bison see this as a measuring stick? *We gave the folks up North Crap about scheduling lesser teams, I see this as being much the same. * :'(
You make some good points BisonBacker!

kchats
12-07-2005, 04:22 AM
I have heard that when NDSU schedules a division I-A team that they plan on offsetting that game with a gimme division II game. Look for the Bison to more than likely schedule a gimme division II game every year they schedule a division I-A team. If they don't schedule a division I-A team and can fill they schedule with completely division I-AA teams they will.

IH8daSioux
12-07-2005, 04:44 AM
I WILL NOT GOTO THE CSP game.

HELL NO.

this is a SHAME>. a STEP BACKWARDS!!

GEE THANKS TAYLOR!!

I thought we were DIVISION 1??? ... SAD SAD DAY..

SDbison
12-07-2005, 04:57 AM
I have heard that when NDSU schedules a division I-A team that they plan on offsetting that game with a gimme division II game. *Look for the Bison to more than likely schedule a gimme division II game every year they schedule a division I-A team. *If they don't schedule a division I-A team and can fill they schedule with completely division I-AA teams they will.
Please explain kchats. Who are your sources that say a DII must be played for every DI-A game?

kchats
12-07-2005, 05:11 AM
I emailed Gene Taylor to complain about the scheduling of Arkansas Monticello this season and that is the response I was given. He said when they play up against a division I-A team it is good to provide them with an easy win as well.

Gamehunter
12-07-2005, 06:33 AM
Hey, look at the bright side people, at least we arn't scheduling 2-3 DII/NAIA/DIII teams per YEAR like SDSU is.

I can live with 1 DII a year.

Gully
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Relax SDBison, we all knew that early on in this transition that scheduling was going to be difficult. It will get better each year.

The Bison have proven their philosophy is to play a high level of competition. Not every game needs to be a major matchup.

Please consider that it's not easy for Taylor to get schedules together, especially in these first years. It's not as if we can just choose any team in the country.

There will be no more Montana Tech's. Have some faith.

BisonBacker
12-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Relax SDBison, we all knew that early on in this transition that scheduling was going to be difficult. *It will get better each year.

The Bison have proven their philosophy is to play a high level of competition. *Not every game needs to be a major matchup.

Please consider that it's not easy for Taylor to get schedules together, especially in these first years. *It's not as if we can just choose any team in the country.

There will be no more Montana Tech's. *Have some faith.

How is Montana Tech and CSP any different?

MN_BISONS
12-07-2005, 03:24 PM

I think CSP is a better team than Montana Tech. *Plus it will be fun to beat up on some cake eaters to start the season. *This is not the end of the world boys, it's one game in an 11 game schedule. *If another DII teams shows up on the slate, then feel free to start bitching. *At least these cake eaters don't wear beanies.......

lucchesicourt
12-07-2005, 04:23 PM
Just because you are playing a D2 does not mean it will be an easy victory. UCD will be playing a D2 sometime too. I wouldn't be all that upset about playing one. Afterall, when we were D2 we played many D1AA's otherwise we would have had a very short schedule. By playing D2's, you give them the opportunity to see what 1AA is like. This will help them decide if they want to attempt the move to 1AA in the future. We were playing 1AA's without schollies and were competitive, 1A was another story. Now that we have schollies, I see us getting much better than what we were at the D2 level, which really wasn't all that bad. Afterall, we put out the likes of Ken O'Brien, Mark Grieb, Khari Jones, Kevin Daft (I don't know why an NFL team hasn't given this guy a shot-he easily was the most accurate passer we ever had at UCD, and could run too), anf JT O'Sullivan.

BisonBacker
12-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Phil Hanson made the comment something to the effect of you have to expect better at this level, well I think that goes to schedules as well. *I think the Bison fans myself included have come to expect better teams on our schedule. *I want to qualify that by saying I am certainly not trying to badmouth the teams in other divisions (the susies excluded) and think kudo's to them for getting teams up a division on their respective schedules. *I do however think we should do everything in our power to not schedule any teams but DIAA or DIA. *It was said on another post that scheduling teams like Arkansas Monticello did nothing to prepare us for the teams that count like Cal-Poly or Montana State and so on and I agree completely with that comment. *I know there is a tie to the coach of CSP to NDSU but I still don't think that justifies our scheduling them. *I wonder if the players were to be asked what they feel about scheduling a team that has no business being on NDSU's schedule what the players themselves would say about it. *I can't believe they see this as a positive. *I hope the administration takes note of the turnout for the game. *I do believe it will be low, certainly lower then if they had scheduled a mid to upper level DIAA team for sure. *I know some mention was made to UNI, *I would certainly like to see that, it would be a big draw since they used to play in the NCC and are a regional team and a good one at that. *Now those are the types of teams we should be trying to get on the schedule and leave the patsies to undii.

JBB
12-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Gully has it right.

JT O'Sullivan is the Vikings 3rd string QB.

One DII let it be, just no game with und.

If you can say the warmup game didnt help us in our losses, its just as valid to say it did help us with all of our wins. That logic leads you to the conclusion that if we hadnt played a warmup we would have lost every game. Its absurd.

I hope that everyone staying home for the warmup uses the money to go to Ball State. We will go into that game down 20 some scholies. About the same as any dii that might come here.

Gully
12-07-2005, 05:35 PM

CSP is NCAA DII and Montana Tech is NAIA for starters.

On another note, I think the tie to coach Mauer thing is being overstated. I could be wrong but it could be more about schedule availability and proximity (cost) than anything else.

BisonBacker
12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
If you can say the warmup game didnt help us in our losses, its just as valid to say it did help us with all of our wins. *That logic leads you to the conclusion that if we hadnt played a warmup we would have lost every game. Its absurd.
I don't understand this logic but I will agree with you that I hope they never schedule the susies again, at least as long as they are still DII.

JBB
12-07-2005, 09:26 PM
The point is this: the warmup game is not connected in any way with our wins and losses in subsequent games because it has no influence on how good our reg season opponents will be. Some of them may be good enough to beat us even if we have a warmup game.

BisonBacker
12-07-2005, 09:35 PM
You are completely missing the point here.
1. We should be scheduling better competition. You cannot evaluate your teams progress nor can you get better playing against teams such as this.
2. We have moved up to DI, I expect the administration to schedule teams that play at our level not below it.
How much simpler can it be?

Bisonguy
12-07-2005, 09:42 PM
1. *We should be scheduling better competition. *You cannot evaluate your teams progress nor can you get better playing against teams such as this.
2. *We have moved up to DI, I expect the administration to schedule teams that play at our level not below it.

What DI-AA would play in the Fargodome for $30K?

RedRiver
12-07-2005, 10:40 PM
The Bison are playing better competition, it is called DIAA, and they are entitled to schedule one "easy" game a year, it is called DII. This is no different than the scheduling process for Montana, Minnesota, or Nebraska!!

Gamehunter
12-07-2005, 10:43 PM
I wish there was more of the kind of people that go to Bison games to watch the Bison play and not watch their competition :-/

NDSU_grad
12-07-2005, 10:53 PM
In DII we would be challenged maybe 3 or 4 times a year, at most. In most years, there was an automatic 8 wins. When I saw the schedule for 05, there were maybe three games that I felt 99% sure we would win. Scheduling in I-AA is a whole differernt ballgame. I too would much rather see a mid-level team from a good I-AA conference come to the Fargodome. Fact of the matter is these teams don't like to travel for the type of money NDSU can pay.

BisonBacker
12-08-2005, 12:18 AM
What DI-AA would play in the Fargodome for $30K?
You show me where I said anything about paying a DIAA $30K? Don't put words in my mouth.

BisonBacker
12-08-2005, 12:21 AM
I wish there was more of the kind of people that go to Bison games to watch the Bison play and not watch their competition *:-/
I do go to the games to watch the Bison play. One of my questions is how do you even try to gauge where the team is at or how do the coaches when they are playing competition from a lower division. I thought CSP not to long ago was DIII. You want to try to gauge the team on this game? Thats like saying we are going to schedule Crookston to see where we are at. Give me a break.

BISON_PRIDE
12-08-2005, 12:42 AM
There are unhappy fans for the UM Gophers who don't want them to schedule DIAA teams either.

Bisonguy
12-08-2005, 01:54 AM
You show me where I said anything about paying a DIAA $30K? *Don't put words in my mouth. *

on Today at 3:35pm, BisonBacker wrote:
1. We should be scheduling better competition. You cannot evaluate your teams progress nor can you get better playing against teams such as this.
2. We have moved up to DI, I expect the administration to schedule teams that play at our level not below it.

Finances, along with a myriad of other reasons figure into why the scedule is the way it is. Guarantee for DII CSP- $30k, guarantee for DI-AA Northeastern- $70k. With NDSU making around $100k/per game in profit, a reduction of $40k in expenses could very well be worthwile.

BisonBacker
12-08-2005, 02:13 AM
There are unhappy fans for the UM Gophers who don't want them to schedule DIAA teams either.
Wow now there's a stretch. NDSU is DIAA but its still DI. How long has CSP been DII? I thought it wasn't that long ago they were DIII. In my mind it about as bad as scheduling a DIII team. Either way they are on the schedule, I accept that but I just think its not in our best interest to schedule them. I was critical of NDSU scheduling hamline a DIII school for the BBall game. In a couple of years when we are playoff eliglbe I hope we don't schedule any DII teams. If we do I would hope it would be a top ten DII team at the least (excluding that school to the North)!!!!!

kchats
12-08-2005, 03:17 AM
Steve Walker will be coming back from his knee injury so it might be a good game to get him some confidence in playing on it again without worrying about ever getting hit. ;)

sambini
12-08-2005, 03:40 AM
+++++

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Just for a point of reference, one of Minnesota's non-conference games was the vaunted Florida Atlantic Owls. Most good teams play a cupcake early in the season to ensure a win and get playing time for essential non-starters, but that doesn't necessarily mean we have to be happy about it.

SDbison
12-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Scheduling a cupcake like CSP could mean 3000 less in the stands. 3000 x $16 a seat = $48,000 loss in revenue, maybe only $40,000 loss if you include some discounts or cheaper seats. So the difference between playing DII / III CSP and paying $30,000 versus scheduling a good DI-AA team at $70,000 is a wash. Not to mention lowering a teams expectations and reducing fan excitement. This fan is not happy about having CSP on the schedule, if some of you think its great you are entitled to your opinion too.

Bisonguy
12-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Scheduling a cupcake like CSP could mean 3000 less in the stands. *3000 x $16 a seat = $48,000 loss in revenue, maybe only $40,000 loss if you include some discounts or cheaper seats. *So the difference between playing DII / III CSP and paying $30,000 versus scheduling a good DI-AA team at $70,000 is a wash. *Not to mention lowering a teams expectations and reducing fan excitement. *This fan is not happy about having CSP on the schedule, if some of you think its great you are entitled to your opinion too. *

What was Northeastern's record this year?

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Scheduling a cupcake like CSP could mean 3000 less in the stands. *3000 x $16 a seat = $48,000 loss in revenue, maybe only $40,000 loss if you include some discounts or cheaper seats. *So the difference between playing DII / III CSP and paying $30,000 versus scheduling a good DI-AA team at $70,000 is a wash. *Not to mention lowering a teams expectations and reducing fan excitement. *This fan is not happy about having CSP on the schedule, if some of you think its great you are entitled to your opinion too. *

If that is the only reason in scheduling a team, then what would the value of a sellout with UND be worth. I just think there are other factors to consider rather than just revenue. UND would bring with it the risk of a D2 loss, as would scheduling Grand Valley State....my point is why do it. CSP, while D2, carrys less of a risk of a D2 loss than the better team like GVSU or UND. Personally, I would rather see a DI-AAA rather than a D2, or a marginal DI-AA for our "tune up" game.

If dollars and cents are the sole criteria, UND would be on the schedule right now, and we would be paying them a guarantee. I think only Montana, Montana State and SDSU can approach the gate UND would generate.

Bison_Kent
12-08-2005, 03:36 PM
There is no way there will be just 3,000 fans at the opener. DII Arkanasas-Monticello brought in 13,793 this year. Bison fans will show up in similar numbers I would guess for a season opener.

Bison_Kent
12-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Northeastern was just 2-9 this past year but lost two overtime games to Georgia Southern and William & Mary.

They had a common opponent with NDSU in Northwestern State. The Huskies (Northeastern's nickname) lost 14-12, while the Bison won 35-7.

But with Rocky coming back, I would assume this game will be a near sellout.

Herd_Mentality
12-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Scheduling a game like CSP is not going to make a difference in gate if you schedule it during the week of Labor Day. You lose at least that many people just because they're going one last small summer vacation or head to the lakes country.

IowaBison
12-08-2005, 03:54 PM
I enjoy the Thursday night games thoroughly.

It's fun to punch out at noon then tailgate the afternoon away.

MN_BISONS
12-08-2005, 04:02 PM

I think Gene knows what he is doing. I guess if you don't like the game, stay home and watch Augie. As for me, I look forward to kicking a little cake eater ass in the dome.

RedRiver
12-08-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=110796&section=Sports

This should make those of you that are opposed to DII games happy!! ;D

BisonBacker
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
If that is the only reason in scheduling a team, then what would the value of a sellout with UND be worth. *I just think there are other factors to consider rather than just revenue. *UND would bring with it the risk of a D2 loss, as would scheduling Grand Valley State....my point is why do it. *CSP, while D2, carrys less of a risk of a D2 loss than the better team like GVSU or UND. *Personally, I would rather see a DI-AAA rather than a D2, or a marginal DI-AA for our "tune up" game.

If dollars and cents are the sole criteria, UND would be on the schedule right now, and we would be paying them a guarantee. *I think only Montana, Montana State and SDSU can approach the gate UND would generate.

WYO Bison I think you've lost it. undii lost to USD. undii showed their true colors when they played any competition in DII. Saying they would come in and potentially beat us is laughable. I wouldn't put them at the top of the list in DII or in the top 10. If they had breezed through the DII playoffs I would say they would have presented an interesting game but I still think even then the Bison would have rolled them. In either case it doesn't matter its all speculation. They aren't moving up and were not scheduling them and Shouldn't schedule them unless they make the move which isn't happening. They have other things like school naming issues and a prez who is busy trying to convince the NCAA that they need to change the classification rules for so schools can weasel into different classifications for specific sports. I think you were breathing a little to much of that thin air on your hunting trip. I suggest some oxygen and a day or two in reality and you will be thinking straight again. ;)

JBB
12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Great article. The BISON connection was a surprise to me. Its going to be kind of a reunion yr. My guess is 13-14,000 for CSP just like last yrs DII. Thats a good gate, especially for a DII. There is no guarantee that a more expensive team would draw well enough to overcome the cost difference.

undii is no guaranteed sellout either. the flood of gf fans coming down might make up for some disinterest here in Fargo. With the news that this would be our only DII game the dissapointment on the dii board is palatable. From my standpoint the cost of splitting the North Dakota fans is greater than any short term gate the NDSU might enjoy.

Gully
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Great article. *The BISON connection was a surprise to me. *Its going to be kind of a reunion yr. *My guess is 13-14,000 for CSP just like last yrs DII. *Thats a good gate, especially for a DII. *There is no guarantee that a more expensive team would draw well enough to overcome the cost difference. *

undii is no guaranteed sellout either. *the flood of gf fans coming down might make up for some disinterest here in Fargo. *With the news that this would be our only DII game the dissapointment on the dii board is palatable. *From my standpoint the cost of splitting the North Dakota fans is greater than any short term gate the NDSU might enjoy.

Not that I think we should play UND but the game would sell out, not a doubt in my mind.

JBB
12-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Last time it didnt sell out in GF, they had barely 12,000.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-08-2005, 05:32 PM
The game would be a definite sellout. The game was packed in I believe it was '02 when NDSU was having a terrible season and I have to think that with the two sides not having met the last two years that people would be hungry to see it. I still hope we don't schedule them though.

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2005, 05:49 PM
I think Gene knows what he is doing. *I guess if you don't like the game, stay home and watch Augie. *As for me, I look forward to kicking a little cake eater ass in the dome. *

Yes, I trust what Taylor and Bohl are doing. *Obviously they know a hell of a lot more about what is going on and what is the right path for NDSU than all of us armchair A.D.s!! ;D

As for needing more oxygen......I have lived here so long I think I have adapted to the thin are here at 6100 feet........ ;D

JBB
12-08-2005, 05:57 PM
The '02 game was before the $27/ticket insult, the on line Pharmacy scandal, the Fargo Campus scandal and their behavior surrounding *Decision 1. *I think a lot has changed. *In addition only 1/4 of the undergraduates have seen them in Fargo and only 1/2 have been around since the last game in gf. *By next season it will be even smaller. *2 yrs from now nobody will have seen them. *I dont even think its a rivalry anymore?

Just MHO, not trying to argue but just trying to explain my thinking on the game.

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
There are a ton of people that would go to a UND/NDSU game. The fact that it has not been played for 2 year (soon to be 3) would guarantee a sell out. Hell, I would probably have to come out of Wyoming for that!! It would be a game loaded with emotion for the teams, coaches and fans.....and that is probably why we should not play it unless they move up.

I will guarantee you that the University of Montana would have NEVER scheduled NDSU as a D2 if they thought they would loose the game. That one was painful for the Griz, and as you can see, they have avoided us like the plague ever since. That one (when it eventually gets played) will probably sell out the dome too!

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-08-2005, 06:07 PM
I agree on most points as I hadn't really considered some of them, but I think NDSU/unD-II is going to continue to be a rivalry (probably in a lesser capacity) because I think the people of North Dakota think it is a rivalry. As long as there are students from ND going to the two institutions I think there will be some form of rivalry. As NDSU continues to distance itself from unD-II I would expect that rivalry would continue to diminish.

BisonMav
12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I agree on most points as I hadn't really considered some of them, but I think NDSU/unD-II is going to continue to be a rivalry (probably in a lesser capacity) because I think the people of North Dakota think it is a rivalry. *As long as there are students from ND going to the two institutions I think there will be some form of rivalry. *As NDSU continues to distance itself from unD-II I would expect that rivalry would continue to diminish.

I am not real interested in a NDSU vs a DII UND game. Bring on UNI or SDSU or Montana St. UND sounds kind of boring, at least today. Sure they can play the game, and bring in a bunch of money for NDSU, but there will be 2 empty seats at the game.

Green-N-Gold
12-08-2005, 08:21 PM
The gap is widening. Most, if not all, interest in playing UND2 will wane quickly if they stay D2 much longer. They know it and they're nervous.

Bisonguy
12-08-2005, 09:03 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=110796&section=Sports

This should make those of you that are opposed to DII games happy!! ;D

I'm glad to see Gene taking this seriously.

I'll go to the games to see the Bison play no matter who the opponent is, but I would rather have them lining up against DI opponents.

I am suprised, however, that Gene didn't know this earlier. Maybe Gene should check out the board more often- I was harping on the fact that the I-AA playoff selection committee "gives preference to teams that play an exclusive DI schedule", and now, "fewer than 7 DI wins puts a team in jeopardy of not being selected" since the move to DI began. :-/

BisonBryce
12-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Does Gene even check this board?

Bisonguy
12-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Does Gene even check this board?

Only he knows for sure.......

mikelsch
12-08-2005, 10:02 PM
I would imagine he knows about the preference for playing an exclusive DI schedule...only really matters in 2008 when we are playoff eligible. One D2 game for sure in 2006 (CSP); no more after 2007.

MRBISON
12-08-2005, 10:28 PM
IMO...no Sue game until they move up to D1

Weighing the pros and the cons of a Bison / Sue game it's clear that there would be very little in it for NDSU and a whole lot in it for the Sue

If they won.... it would be huge ...it would help them with recruiting and give the sue rubes a reason to claim that dII is just as good as D1AA

If NDSU wins, it will mean nothing because we are "SUPPOSED" to win

yeah, it might generate a lot of $$ for NDSU, but does NDSU want to sell itself out? I don't think NDSU needs the money that bad!

bincitysioux
12-08-2005, 11:27 PM

Wow now there's a stretch. *NDSU is DIAA but its still DI. *How long has CSP been DII? *I thought it wasn't that long ago they were DIII. *In my mind it about as bad as scheduling a DIII team. *Either way they are on the schedule, I accept that but I just think its not in our best interest to schedule them. *I was critical of NDSU scheduling hamline a DIII school for the BBall game. *In a couple of years when we are playoff eliglbe I hope we don't schedule any DII teams. *If we do I would hope it would be a top ten DII team at the least (excluding that school to the North)!!!!!

Why is that a stretch? *NDSU plays football in a lower division than UofM, just like CSP plays in a lower division than NDSU. *How long has NDSU been DI-AA? *I thought it wasn't long ago that they were DII. *It's the exact same scenario. *You have a God-Complex that is terribly out of control. *I honestly don't see why your panties are all in a bunch over opening with CSP. *The Monticello game last year drew just shy of your average attendance, and CSP is a local program that is usually near or at the top of its conference. *I say that's a nice home opener for a transitional program that can only play 4 conference games. *What's the big deal?

BisonMav
12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
*A good indication of the interest that NDSU garners from UofM fans is the fact that your basketball game with them drew 11,000-some odd fans for their season home opener, while last year the gophers drew around 18,000 per game. *

We are not making Shat up here are we?
NCAA Attendance (http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/attendance/2005_basketball_attend.pdf)
Rank School G Attendance Average
31. Texas 16 178,211 11,138
32. Alabama 15 164,373 10,958
33. Utah 16 172,425 10,776
34. Brigham Young 14 148,860 10,632
35. Minnesota 17 179,636 10,566
36. Pittsburgh 17 179,598 10,564
37. UTEP 18 187,298 10,405
38. Florida 16 165,600 10,350

JBB
12-08-2005, 11:40 PM
I think we are in the same division, but not the same classification within the division. *

I think the UofM had several thousand more fans at the NDSU game than their average for non conference games. (refer to above post as well)

Although you may see CSP as a challenging game Im afraid BISON fans dont. *Last time they came to Fargo, maybe 3 or 4 yrs ago, they werent ever in the game, but with their speed and passing I think they would give you all you could handle.

Bisonguy
12-08-2005, 11:48 PM
I think we are in the same division, but not the same classification within the division. *

Same division with the same highest academic standards, different subclassification.

somebison
12-08-2005, 11:49 PM
*A good indication of the interest that NDSU garners from UofM fans is the fact that your basketball game with them drew 11,000-some odd fans for their season home opener, while last year the gophers drew around 18,000 per game.

to go one better than GD, the NDSU game drew 2,700 more fans than ANY gopher non-conference game last year

bincitysioux
12-09-2005, 12:32 AM
*A good indication of the interest that NDSU garners from UofM fans is the fact that your basketball game with them drew 11,000-some odd fans for their season home opener, while last year the gophers drew around 18,000 per game.

It appears that I may have made an error while doing my normally very solid research. *:-/ *Since I know that I am a bigger man than most NDSU grads, I can admit when I am wrong. *I think it is pretty good that I made 217 posts before making a false statement, however. ;D *

Still I don't see what the big deal about a home game with CSP is, and with all the animosity that everyone here has shown to said game, how Bison Backer and others can argue that Gopher fans likely don't feel the same way about a game with NDSU. *

I'm going to delete the portion of my last post that makes me look dumb.

bincitysioux
12-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Personally, I would rather see a DI-AAA rather than a D2, or a marginal DI-AA for our "tune up" game.

That would be a really lopsided game, since DI-AAA schools don't play football.

Rodentia
12-09-2005, 12:47 AM
to go one better than GD, the NDSU game drew 2,700 more fans than ANY gopher non-conference game last year

The capacity of Williams Arena is only 14,625. The NDSU/Gophers game was the most attended Gopher basketball game of the season thus far. It may wight hold up as the most well attended game of the Gophers non-conference schedule, unless SDSU brings a lot of fans in blue to Williams.

bincitysioux
12-09-2005, 12:51 AM
The capacity of Williams Arena is only 14,625. The NDSU/Gophers game was the most attended Gopher basketball game of the season thus far. It may wight hold up as the most well attended game of the Gophers non-conference schedule, unless SDSU brings a lot of fans in blue to Williams.

As I said before, I was wrong. I'd think that SDSU would bring in as many or more fans than NDSU did. Just because SDSU is a basketball school, and I'd imagine that their basketball fans travel like NDSU football fans do.

bincitysioux
12-09-2005, 01:01 AM
IMO...no Sue game until they move up to D1

Weighing the pros and the cons of a Bison / Sue game it's clear that there would be very little in it for NDSU and a whole lot in it for the Sue

If they won.... it would be huge ...it would help them with recruiting and give the sue rubes a reason to claim that dII is just as good as D1AA

If NDSU wins, it will mean nothing because we are "SUPPOSED" to win

yeah, it might generate a lot of $$ for NDSU, but does NDSU want to sell itself out? I don't think NDSU needs the money that bad!

If that's the case, then why doesn't NDSU play the Gophers in football for free in 2007?

Gamehunter
12-09-2005, 03:54 AM
when you have a quarter of a million dollars staring you in the face who is to turn it down? ;D

bincitysioux
12-09-2005, 04:03 AM
when you have a quarter of a million dollars staring you in the face who is to turn it down? *;D

19,042 fans in Fargodome for last Sioux-Bison game in Fargo.

19,042 X $16.00 = $304,672

JBB
12-09-2005, 04:24 AM
why doesnt undii call us and offer a free game? you continue to look dumb.

Gamehunter
12-09-2005, 05:49 AM
19,042 fans in Fargodome for last Sioux-Bison game in Fargo.

How many of those 19,042 do you think are actually paying customers? I know for a fact several thousand of those are going to be NDSU students, which get in free. I would also imagine UND gets free tickets for their band, along with NDSU's band obviously. Point taken, it is still a good chunk of change, but not quite as much as the UofM payday.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2005, 05:50 AM
Even though the susies athletic department probably wouldn't go for it, I don't think NDSU should pay und if they come to fargo. I honestly don't think they should come to Fargo, but if they do why subsidize their athletic department?

Just to clarify, in my previous post I wasn't saying I was interested in a bison/sioux game, just that if one is played or if the matchup is ever continued in 1-AA that there will be major ND interest in it. I agree whole-heartedly that I would rather see a regional D-I (UNI especially).

BisonBacker
12-09-2005, 07:16 AM
It appears that I may have made an error while doing my normally very solid research. *:-/ *Since I know that I am a bigger man than most NDSU grads, I can admit when I am wrong. *I think it is pretty good that I made 217 posts before making a false statement, however. ;D *

Still I don't see what the big deal about a home game with CSP is, and with all the animosity that everyone here has shown to said game, how Bison Backer and others can argue that Gopher fans likely don't feel the same way about a game with NDSU. *

I'm going to delete the portion of my last post that makes me look dumb.

Looks like your solid research has failed you again. Show me one post where I said gophers fans felt anyway about a game with the Bison.
Now to comment on your post, NDSU is DI as are the gophers. Yes for football I know its DIAA for NDSU so don't gloat on that. I don't understand why you are pointing out something that I myself have already bitched about. I called you out on scheduling cupcakes but its expected from undii. When we do it I don't become a hypocrite and say its ok, I like many NDSU fans were not happy about it. But the big difference is already been addressed by Gene Taylor. He has admitted that while we are in the probationary period and needing more games to fill the home schedule his options are limited. He's already said we won't be doing this when were playoff eligible. Your school on the other hand does it only so they are guaranteed a win and can get into the playoffs. We can't as it will work against us when we are playoff eligible. Another reason for us to make the move up, we don't want to play in a division that rewards you for playing as easy a schedule as possible just to get into the playoffs. Here your penalized for it. You need to stop tryin to spin the facts here Bin.

BisonBacker
12-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Oh and just for the record I don't think we should schedule you either, it wouldn't be a fair game and like I said, I'm not wanting to schedule a guaranteed win for NDSU ;)

BisonMav
12-09-2005, 12:35 PM
19,042 fans in Fargodome for last Sioux-Bison game in Fargo. *

The Bison already average 14,000, so add 5,000 extra tickets at an average of $14 (most of the available seats would be General Admission), that's an extra $70,000, not a quarter of a million. Don't get me wrong, $70,000 is still a lot of money.

JBB
12-09-2005, 01:40 PM
They arent on the schedule and wont be. They barely came up with 12,000 last time we played. Far less than we had for montecello. ;)

I think the games Dr. Taylor is talking about could result in some big crowds, maybe even a sellout or two, depending on how the BISON are doing. The fan base in Fargo is starting to get familiar with the DI-AA landscape and these teams have a name recognition they didnt have even 2 yrs ago. The fan base is growing, as we know, because of the familiarity with the new division and the recognition that the Division is playing much better football than we were used to in DII.

A friend of mine went to a game with me. He had stopped going to BISON games during the Rocky erea. Now he calims he is getting a season ticket because its good football. I think there are a lot of people like that. Time will tell, but we dont need to stoop to get a full house.

BisonMav
12-09-2005, 01:43 PM
The Bison already average 14,000, so add 5,000 extra tickets at an average of $14 (most of the available seats would be General Admission), that's an extra $70,000, not a quarter of a million. *Don't get me wrong, $70,000 is still a lot of money.

Unless of course NDSU charge $50 per ticket, that would bring the total to $250,000 for 5000 extra people.

MRBISON
12-09-2005, 02:08 PM
You can throw all the numbers around that you want to in order to justify a Bison / Sue game.......and try to compare it to a Gopher / Bison game....

The difference is that playing the gophers is a step up in competition and a positive event with many benefits other than money.......Playing the Sue is a step down in competition with nothing other than financial gain for NDSU

Yeah the gophers might not be as excited about the Bison games on their schedule......for now....but in a few years if NDSU wins a game here or there...it will change

BisonBacker
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Another HUGE difference in the two universities is that NDSU has shown it's better to take the high road rather then how the administration / leadership ( I use the term leadership very loosley) at undii approaches all of these issues. I don't think Gene Taylor or President Chapman will forget how we were treated during the transition nor all the comments that were made up North. I don't see this game happening and its of no value to NDSU, it would only serve to help the school to the North. We don't need them and it appears they DO need us. I think we should continue on the path we are on, we don't need to take any detours.

bisondad
12-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Exactly. Time for the Bison to move beyond the old NCC days. Heck, we've got Div IA Ball state next year, and potentially other top D-IAA teams, along with the rest of the Great West. The fans will enjoy the new level of competition. NCC teams are in the past. Can't wait for NDSU vs Minnesota. Exciting times for Bison Football

roper
12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Let's not forget that the $250,000 is "straight cash homey". Virtually no overhead, it's money that goes right to the program. The $16 x total gate is easy math, but there are a lot of cost to hosting a football game.

UND, hire a consultand, get serious and make the move. We'll see you down here in 2010. How about opening night vs. the sioux. They can watch Coach Bohl hang the first DIAA national championship banner. 8) 8)

Whouldn't that be nice ;D

bisongold
12-09-2005, 03:20 PM
The trend is to larger and larger crowds at the FFD. Definitely not the trend up North. Now, even in the playoffs the Susans can only muster 5000 fans. Yes, Div. 2 must have definitely lost it's appeal to the fans. I agree that the crowds in the FFD will continue to get larger because of the name recognition of the teams we are playing. Teams that a couple years ago did not mean alot to most people ( like Cal-Poly, UC Davis, Southern Illinois, Montana State, etc.) now have recognition to the majority of fans. The crowds will build each year automatically unless we have a very poor year. I do believe that each home game could have more marketing for it and would result in 1-2000 more fans also, but perhaps it hasn't proven to be cost effective. I hope that the Bison teams will soon be selling out every game ( using Missoula as my model) no matter who they are playing ! I believe this is very attainable in the Fargo market. This would put us as the number 2 team in attendance in the US if I'm not mistaken.

84grad
12-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Discussion reminds me on "Animal House" when Belushi starts to rant: "Neidermeyer, dead! Marmalard, dead! Wormer, dead!

For the Bison, it's "NCC, dead! UND, dead! Augustana, dead!"

NDSU has moved on, so let's continue to move!! Go Bison!

JBB
12-09-2005, 03:31 PM
I hear that. *DII in general is undesirable, although I havent been a great critic of the CSP game, it is after all off set by the game at Ball State *The words of Dr. Taylor about future DIIs was welcome news to me.

I want NDSU to be ready for Ball State and give them a fight. To me it is the biggest game of the year and I plan to be there on vacation.

Gully
12-09-2005, 04:17 PM
The trend is to larger and larger crowds at the FFD. *Definitely not the trend up North. *Now, even in the playoffs the Susans can only muster 5000 fans. *Yes, Div. 2 must have definitely lost it's appeal to the fans. *I agree that the crowds in the FFD will continue to get larger because of the name recognition of the teams we are playing. *Teams that a couple years ago did not mean alot to most people ( like Cal-Poly, UC Davis, Southern Illinois, Montana State, *etc.) now have recognition to the majority of fans. *The crowds will build each year automatically unless *we have a very poor year. *I do believe that each home game could have more marketing for it and would result in 1-2000 more fans also, but perhaps it hasn't proven to be cost effective. *I hope that the Bison teams will soon be selling out every game ( using Missoula as my model) *no matter who they are playing ! *I believe this is very attainable in the Fargo market. *This would put us as the number 2 team in attendance in the US if I'm not mistaken.

I agree that the FFD will be a regular sell out in a few years. All it will take is one playoff run (perhaps even just a big game needed to make the playoffs) and it will be the place to be.

That's why I say, "Get your tickets now!" Those of us who are Teammakers now will be glad when the sellout days begin.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2005, 05:57 PM
My borther-in-law who is an assistant AD at Iowa State always says, "Winning cures everything"..... ;D I suspect we will see some very nice gates in both FB and BB in the upcoming years...........

JBB
12-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Im afraid their president is going to lead them to economic ruin in his desperate attempts to get back on the NDSU sports schedule. *One of the great risks, at least according to him, is the desperation of some Universities to hop on the DI bandwagon. *In order to get the precieved benefits they push their universities toward financial ruin and raid academics to maintain bloated athletic budgets. *It is exactly the situation their president said they would be in while speaking out against the NDSU move to Division I. *

This man said their was absolutely no econominc sense to move athletics to Division I. *My feeling is he understands his position well and now must take the desperate measure he has so carefully warned us all about because they cant get along without NDSU. *I would be concerned about this type of contradiciton that seems to be the hallmark of his leadership. *Not good.

In the meantime, NDSU needs a great home game following CSP *A real challenge as we work our way up to Ball State. * Of the schools Dr. Taylor mentioned - Portland State, McNeese State, and Furman - Portland might be the best since we have a history with them including a DII National Championship game. *I think any one of the 3 would be a great draw.

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2005, 06:28 PM
I would love a home and home with Furman. Given Furman's performance this year, a game wtih the Paladins would be a marque game. Plus I used to live in Greenville and would consider atteding the away game that would be held a Furman.

Bisonguy
12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
.... *This would put us as the number 2 team in attendance in the US if I'm not mistaken.

A soldout Fargodome (18,700) average would have put NDSU at #6 in I-AA average attendance this year:

1 Montana 22,479
2 Delaware 22,177
3 Yale 21,677
4 Southern 19,888
5 Appl State 19,800

UND92
12-09-2005, 09:34 PM
I hear that. DII in general is undesirable, although I havent been a great critic of the CSP game, it is after all off set by the game at Ball State The words of Dr. Taylor about future DIIs was welcome news to me.

I want NDSU to be ready for Ball State and give them a fight. To me it is the biggest game of the year and I plan to be there on vacation.
Just a couple of facts here to mention. First of all JBB, Ball State is terrible. Don't try to make them out to be anything from the truth. And for all the crap you guys have said on this board about DII and the NSIC, then you go out and schedule an NSIC team. Are you kidding, NSIC. Second, you talk up aa and how much better it is than DII. Well here is an interesting comparison. DII Delta State took aa Texas State down to the wire earlier this year. Texas State scored with about six minutes left to win the game. Now Delta State was a decent DII team this year, but they had four losses on the year. So, Texas State beats Cal-Poly, and Cal-Poly wipes up on the bison (not even a game). Texas State who is in the semi-finals of aa is only seven points better than an 7-4 DII Delta State team. You remember the same Delta team that beat you guys in the playoffs and the team UND beat last year. The top teams of aa and DII are very similar to each other. And lastly, don't forget to watch the UND-MINNESOTA hockey series this weekend. There will be about FIVE T.V. stations that are doing the game, one of them is FOX SPORTS NET, who will be in Grand Forks this weekend. There will be a stream of lights on I-29 heading north, full of bison fans to watch a real DI game. Now, that is EXCITING. We are going to be on FSN twice this weekend. Weren't you guys on that channel (once) this year? I know nobody wanted to hear the Delta St.- Texas St. score because it sounds bad, but I had to bring it up. Like I said before I just report the facts.

Bisonguy
12-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Oh yippee, the Comparative Score Index has been taken to new heights, especially comparing the first game of the season to the postseason.... ::)

Bison_Dan
12-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Just a couple of facts here to mention. *First of all JBB, Ball State is terrible. *Don't try to make them out to be anything from the truth. *And for all the crap you guys have said on this board about DII and the NSIC, then you go out and schedule an NSIC team. *Are you kidding, NSIC. *Second, you talk up aa and how much better it is than DII. *Well here is an interesting comparison. *DII Delta State took aa Texas State down to the wire earlier this year. *Texas State scored with about six minutes left to win the game. *Now Delta State was a decent DII team this year, but they had four losses on the year. *So, Texas State beats Cal-Poly, and Cal-Poly wipes up on the bison (not even a game). *Texas State who is in the semi-finals of aa is only seven points better than an 7-4 DII Delta State team. * You remember the same Delta team that beat you guys in the playoffs and the team UND beat last year. *The top teams of aa and DII are very similar to each other. *And lastly, don't forget to watch the UND-MINNESOTA hockey series this weekend. *There will be about FIVE T.V. stations that are doing the game, one of them is FOX SPORTS NET, who will be in Grand Forks this weekend. *There will be a stream of lights on I-29 heading north, full of bison fans to watch a real DI game. *Now, that is EXCITING. *We are going to be on FSN twice this weekend. *Weren't you guys on that channel (once) this year? *I know nobody wanted to hear the Delta St.- Texas St. score because it sounds bad, but I had to bring it up. *Like I said before *I just report the facts.

soo fans love to use comparative scores because that's the only way they have to compare their chicken sh*t fb team against. Why don't you go out and play someone good sometime and see how you really stack up!! You have a good wbb team this year and you play no one any good. Must be a real exciting being a soo player and playing upper iowa. Have fun in dii hell und92 ;D ;D

Green-N-Gold
12-09-2005, 10:08 PM
UND92: To apply your logic, guess "powerhouse" D2 programs can't even hang with a mid-pack, transitional DI-AA.

UND 13
Augustana 7

SDSU 38
Augustana 9

MN_BISONS
12-09-2005, 10:10 PM
UND92, if it makes you feel better about the situation you and your DII college is in, just keep telling yourself that again and again. That is probably word for word Dale Lennon's script when he goes into a house that the Bison plan on visiting. See if you just compare scores there really is no difference. Never mind they are faster, stronger and deeper than us, just look at this score between Delta State and Texas State at the beginning of the year. Oh and by the way, NDSU lost to Delta St and we beat them.....blah, blah, blah...........please list the five network stations that will be broadcasting the game other than FSN; which by the way broadcast all of the U's games; it just happens to be that the Gophers are playing a DII college ice hockey team this weekend that is allowed to play up a division for hardware only....sorry no cash for you.

BisonBacker
12-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Just a couple of facts here to mention. *First of all JBB, Ball State is terrible. *Don't try to make them out to be anything from the truth. *And for all the crap you guys have said on this board about DII and the NSIC, then you go out and schedule an NSIC team. *Are you kidding, NSIC. *Second, you talk up aa and how much better it is than DII. *Well here is an interesting comparison. *DII Delta State took aa Texas State down to the wire earlier this year. *Texas State scored with about six minutes left to win the game. *Now Delta State was a decent DII team this year, but they had four losses on the year. *So, Texas State beats Cal-Poly, and Cal-Poly wipes up on the bison (not even a game). *Texas State who is in the semi-finals of aa is only seven points better than an 7-4 DII Delta State team. * You remember the same Delta team that beat you guys in the playoffs and the team UND beat last year. *The top teams of aa and DII are very similar to each other. *And lastly, don't forget to watch the UND-MINNESOTA hockey series this weekend. *There will be about FIVE T.V. stations that are doing the game, one of them is FOX SPORTS NET, who will be in Grand Forks this weekend. *There will be a stream of lights on I-29 heading north, full of bison fans to watch a real DI game. *Now, that is EXCITING. *We are going to be on FSN twice this weekend. *Weren't you guys on that channel (once) this year? *I know nobody wanted to hear the Delta St.- Texas St. score because it sounds bad, but I had to bring it up. *Like I said before *I just report the facts.
Yes I hear they are broadcasting it on the home shopping network at 3am and two other shopping channels at midnight. They have got the shopping networks pretty much locked up in the overnight hours. What a great claim to fame. ;D

JBB
12-09-2005, 11:16 PM
There isnt a team on Ball States schedule that wouldnt win the DII championship, and no NCC team could beat them. *They are a 500 DI-A football team with almost 3 times the scholies of any DII team. *The scholarship advantage for BS vs. NDSU is 23 I believe, the combined scholarships of undiis first 3 opponents. * :o

sambini
12-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Who cares about the whiners from the north anyway?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Whether the comparative score theory is a good measuring stick or not (which it isn't), it should say something that und92 has to resort to a "gunman on the grassy knoll" type explanation to compare the Bison and the susies. Stop whining to us about your crappy school. We don't care.

SDbison
12-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh yippee, the Comparative Score Index has been taken to new heights, especially comparing the first game of the season to the postseason.... *::)
And he is also comparing a Delta State team that UND played 3 years after we played them. ::)

BisonMav
12-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Comparative Scores eh?

Mayville State 86 - UND 78
MSU-Moorhead 68 - UND 57
UND 80 - Valley City St 77 in overtime

NDSU 71 - MSU-Moorhead 57
NDSU 56 - Valley City St 34

Bison are losing to teams like Minnesota & Colorado St, UND is losing to teams like Mayville State and MSU-Moorhead and taking Valley City State in to overtime. I think it's great for these teams to get a taste of DII basketball. Now they know what to expect as NCC members 5 years from now.

sambini
12-10-2005, 04:51 AM
That was a big win for former Bison asst. coach Craig Smith over the SUE.. Super job+++

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 04:52 PM
please list the five network stations that will be broadcasting the game

Actually there are only three: FSN, CSTV, WDAZ/FSSN

It was fun to hear the CSTV announcers (who are unbiased to both UND and UofM) compare the rivalry to Duke/North Carolina in basketball and Michigan/Ohio St. in football :). Good Company. You guys can downplay college hockey all you want (until you have it, then it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread), but the fact is that it is the premier sporting event in North Dakota. And it will continue to be until UND or NDSU joins the Big Ten. ::)

JBB
12-10-2005, 05:16 PM
I dont know what the future will bring, but it was a big deal. *Especially here in hockey crazy Minnesota. *They even mentioned it on WCCO yesterday afternoon, right after the Gophers/UNLV preview. *It drew almost 12,000 people, just about as many as Monticello, our smallest football crowd *last yr. and not as many as the Gophers/NDSU BB game. *But, all and all, it was a big game. *Congratulations to the Gophers! *The North Dakota/Fargo connection seemed to make the difference for them. *Can the Gophs extend the home losing streak to 5 in a row?

Now back to the thread:

NDSU averages almost 15,000/football game. *So far the 2006 schedule has the opportunity to break the 15,000 margin. *Who comes to Fargo this yr may be contrary to our purposes though. *Its two yrs and counting, if we can get a couple of good home/home deals signed and hit the road now we may be able to have a huge home schedule in 2008 when we are playoff eligible.

MN_BISONS
12-10-2005, 05:35 PM
What is CSTV? *I would hardly call WDAZ a network, ESPN, ABC, ect are networks. *WDAZ is a local affiliate carry a local game and broadcasting it to the surrounding area. *I did watch some of it on FSN and it is nice to the see ND boys playing well for the UofM. *Oh yeah, just because some idiot on a broadcast says something on the air that does not make it true. *If you think for one second UofM hockey vs a DII UND team comes anywhere near UNC and Duke, you are only seeing life through green and pink glasses.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 05:58 PM
I dont know what the future will bring, but it was a big deal. *Especially here in hockey crazy Minnesota. *They even mentioned it on WCCO yesterday afternoon, right after the Gophers/UNLV preview. *It drew almost 12,000 people, just about as many as Monticello, our smallest football crowd *last yr. and not as many as the Gophers/NDSU BB game. *But, all and all, it was a big game. *Congratulations to the Gophers! *The North Dakota/Fargo connection seemed to make the difference for them. *Can the Gophs extend the home losing streak to 5 in a row?

It drew almost 12,000 people in a building that seats 11,404. It was filled to 103% capacity. I'd guess tonights game will be even more.

It drew in a community of 60,000 more than the Bison/Gopher Basketball game did which has played in a community of what, over 1 million? Williams was filled to 76% capacity.

The Alerus for UND's 2005 home opener against a team from a very long ways away was filled to 69% capacity. The Fargodome for NDSU's 2005 home opener against a team from a very long ways away was filled to 72% capacity, in a community that (as so many of you like to point out) is 3 times the size of Grand Forks. Other than NDSU's DI debut against powerhouse Valpo, what football games have sold out in the dome in which UND wasn't participating?

If they put a sheet of ice in the Fargodome, and the Sioux/Gopher hockey game were played in there, it would probably sell out. That's how big of an event it is.

Just for good measure, the Sioux home losing streak is currently at 5 :(. The losses came to 2-time defending National Champion conference foe Denver, #1 ranked conference foe Wisconsin, and arch-rival conference foe Minnesota.

somebison
12-10-2005, 06:06 PM
The Alerus for UND's 2005 home opener against a team from a very long ways away was filled to 69% capacity.

What number are you using the ~ 7,000 attendance figure listed in the Bismarck and Grand Forks papers, the 8,500 figure estimated by UND fans, or the ~10,000 figure which the UND staff made up about a week after the game ::)

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 06:08 PM
What is CSTV? *I would hardly call WDAZ a network, ESPN, ABC, ect are networks. *WDAZ is a local affiliate carry a local game and broadcasting it to the surrounding area. *I did watch some of it on FSN and it is nice to the see ND boys playing well for the UofM. *Oh yeah, just because some idiot on a broadcast says something on the air that does not make it true. *If you think for one second UofM hockey vs a DII UND team comes anywhere near UNC and Duke, you are only seeing life through green and pink glasses.

CSTV is College Sports Television. *It is a national cable network available in approximately 15 Million homes, owned by CBS. *I'm surprised you know what ESPN/ABC is because the Bison never play on those networks, however the Sioux do. *WDAZ/Forum Communications broadcasts Sioux games locally, regionally, and all over the country via satellite. *NDSU should try to persuade their TV rights holder to do the same. *Oh wait, that's Forum Communications also, and they broadcast one or two NDSU events per year. *And I agree that some idiot on a broadcast saying something doesn't make it true (Steve Hallstrom). *But it is an indicator of how UND and their rivalry with UofM is veiwed by others from different parts of the country that have no ties to either university. :)

JBB
12-10-2005, 06:12 PM
I think the forum reported 11,710, almost 12,000. *Dont dwell on the minor pts. *Your original post was *complete hype. *Your right about 5 in a row though, I noticed the typo and corrected it. *Now please move it to the hockey thread. *This is about the most popular attraction in North Dakota, NDSU Football, 2006.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 06:17 PM
What number are you using the ~ 7,000 attendance figure listed in the Bismarck and Grand Forks papers, the 8,500 figure estimated by UND fans, or the ~10,000 figure which the UND staff made up about a week after the game *::)

9,356. Same number listed on UND's official site. Same number listed on Westchester's official site. Same number announced by KFGO after the game.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 06:23 PM
...the most popular attraction in North Dakota, NDSU Football, 2006.

You should correct this typo as well! ;D

Rodentia
12-10-2005, 06:26 PM
College hockey could disappear, and the national sports scene wouldn't even notice.

somebison
12-10-2005, 06:39 PM
9,356. *Same number listed on UND's official site. *Same number listed on Westchester's official site. *Same number announced by KFGO after the game.

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4688&st=80

UND didn't come up with that figure until a week after the game, several posters who listened to the game didn't hear a number, and a poster by the name of "bincitysioux" who was at the game also didn't hear an attendance given

I don't know if the figure is close to the actual attendance, but I do know UND pulled the # out of their ass

kchats
12-10-2005, 06:41 PM
bincitysioux you will finally realize that division I basketball (Men's and Women's), wrestling, track and field, soccer, football, volleyball, baseball, cross country, softball etc. are where it's at if UND ever decides to go division I. I doubt any NDSU alumni that live out of the region would ever show one bit on interest in hockey if it were added. It wasn't there when I was there so I won't give a crap about it if they add it now. I'm much more interested in the athletic teams that will travel to my region to play.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 06:51 PM
http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4688&st=80

UND didn't come up with that figure until a week after the game, several posters who listened to the game didn't hear a number, and a poster by the name of "bincitysioux" who was at the game also didn't hear an attendance given

I don't know if the figure is close to the actual attendance, but I do know UND pulled the # out of their ass

Oops. :o I may have been confused about the radio announcement, normally though I hear it on the radio after the game as I'm trying to escape the Alerus parking lot. At any rate, that's the number I used (9,356), that was the official number. If you notice in my posts regarding attendance, I said that it was a nice crowd on hand, and I think that number is accurate. Just so you know, I also used the number from NDSU's official site for the Monticello game, and if anybody is pulling things out of their ass, it is not me! :)

MN_BISONS
12-10-2005, 08:05 PM
CSTV is College Sports Television. *It is a national cable network available in approximately 15 Million homes, owned by CBS. *

I did not know that, thanks Bin. Not a big fan of my cable provider MediaComm, I think I need to switch to Dish Network....now that I think about it, didn't they go belly up a few years ago and Viacom came in and took over.....and yes, NDSU does need to work on their deal with Forum Communications.

kchats
12-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I would recommend DirecTV over Dish Network if you are a sports fan. DirecTV has much better sports programming packages including exclusive rights to Sunday NFL Ticket.

bincitysioux
12-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I would recommend DirecTV over Dish Network if you are a sports fan. *DirecTV has much better sports programming packages including exclusive rights to Sunday NFL Ticket.

Definately, I think DirecTV is far superior to Dish Network. And as far as CSTV goes, it is a must if you are a big fan of I-AA football, or college hockey. CSTV devotes alot more time to smaller colleges than does ESPN.

BisonBacker
12-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Actually there are only three: FSN, CSTV, WDAZ/FSSN

It was fun to hear the CSTV announcers (who are unbiased to both UND and UofM) compare the rivalry to Duke/North Carolina in basketball and Michigan/Ohio St. in football *:). *Good Company. *You guys can downplay college hockey all you want (until you have it, then it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread), but the fact is that it is the premier sporting event in North Dakota. *And it will continue to be until UND or NDSU joins the Big Ten. *::)

The preimier sporting event in ND. That's laughable. Lets check into reality Bin
1. Football
2. Basketball
Everything after that, well I really don't care. If I was to finish the list I would say hookey would place about 5th

BisonBacker
12-10-2005, 11:12 PM
College hockey could disappear, and the national sports scene wouldn't even notice.
It did dissappear last year and like you said Nobody noticed. Its about as significant as the gunnysack races on the 4th of July in Nowheresville USA. ;D

BisonBacker
12-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Bin, you need to change your byline or nobody is going to take you seriously. Last time I checked undii is DII and it even said as much on the web in every possible link I could find. If you want to be taken seriously you need to at least be honest about the university you back.

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 01:13 AM
The preimier sporting event in ND. *That's laughable. *Lets check into reality Bin
1. *Football
2. *Basketball
Everything after that, well I really don't care. *If I was to finish the list I would say hookey would place about 5th

Well you let me know the next time that there is a college football or basketball game in the state of ND that sells-out, actually oversells, and has multiple media outlets (both instate and outstate) covering it. It won't happen until the Sioux and Bison play in football again, and it would still be debatable as to whether Sioux/Bison football or Sioux/Gopher hockey would be a bigger event.

JBB
12-11-2005, 01:22 AM
Hey bin, you back again? We will certainly let you know, although 11,710 isnt a great crowd by NDSU football standards its a nice crowd.

tony
12-11-2005, 02:15 AM
Getting kind of smacky in here...

MN_BISONS
12-11-2005, 05:29 AM
I would recommend DirecTV over Dish Network if you are a sports fan. *DirecTV has much better sports programming packages including exclusive rights to Sunday NFL Ticket.

Thanks guys....I'm always turning the two around. Does anyone have the Plus package (or what ever it is called) with the NFL ticket, I hear it is pretty cool, something about being able to watch multiple games at once.

kchats
12-11-2005, 05:37 AM
No I don't have Sunday NFL Ticket. This year they black games out that you can pick up on local channels. I guess that will be changing next season and you will be able to watch all games on the ticket instead of local channels.

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 05:42 AM
I do not have the "Plus Package" (it costs $100 extra on top of the ?$200? for Sunday Ticket). *I have a friend who has it and says it is pretty cool. *But it is like 8 games on one screen, I have a 60" TV, and that is even too small for 8 windows on one screen and still be able to get anything out of it. *And with DirecTV you also get "Redzone" during the games on sundays and that is just as good as being able to push a button to get the up-to-minute stats, you just have to wait 2-3 minutes. *I would assume that most people, like me, that shell out for Sunday Ticket, it is so you can see one out-of-market team that you are a fan of that is not on your local station every week ( >:(Vikings always on here! :-X :'(), so I have no desire to watch 8 games at once. *Plus, if you have TIVO, who cares if you can watch every play of the game in 30 minutes? *Which is another feature of the add-on to Sunday Ticket.

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 05:47 AM
No I don't have Sunday NFL Ticket. *This year they black games out that you can pick up on local channels. *I guess that will be changing next season and you will be able to watch all games on the ticket instead of local channels.

That is good to know! Twice this year I have set the TIVO to record my Patriots (and I've followed them since 1985, not just since they got good the last few years) and got home from church to find out that I missed the first half of the game because it was blacked out because it was the feature game on my local CBS station. That really pisses me off. >:(

TransAmBison
12-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Well you let me know the next time that there is a college football or basketball game in the state of ND that sells-out, actually oversells, and has multiple media outlets (both instate and outstate) covering it. *It won't happen until the Sioux and Bison play in football again, and it would still be debatable as to whether Sioux/Bison football or Sioux/Gopher hockey would be a bigger event.

I have not commented about what bin has said in the past since he seems to have a good head on his shoulders...meaning he doesn't shoot from the hip and spout his mouth off. But, saying that sue/gopher hockey reaches the intensity of bison/sue football? Come on here...you are losing credibility with ramblings like that.

NDSUstudent
12-11-2005, 08:26 AM
I have not commented about what bin has said in the past since he seems to have a good head on his shoulders...meaning he doesn't shoot from the hip and spout his mouth off. *But, saying that sue/gopher hockey reaches the intensity of bison/sue football? *Come on here...you are losing credibility with ramblings like that. *

I was at the Gopher-Sioux hockey game last night and for as big a rivalry as the Sioux fans brag it up to be it doesn't hold a candle to NDSU-UND football. I would probably say that the NDSU-SDSU football game had a just as intense of an atmosphere. It was a fun game to go see and I wouldn't mind if NDSU started up a team but please don't try and say that UND-MN is a bigger event than NDSU-UND.

roadwarrior
12-11-2005, 08:31 AM
JEEEZ, i leave town for a few days and this thread goes to hell :(

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 02:24 PM
I have not commented about what bin has said in the past since he seems to have a good head on his shoulders...meaning he doesn't shoot from the hip and spout his mouth off. *But, saying that sue/gopher hockey reaches the intensity of bison/sue football? *Come on here...you are losing credibility with ramblings like that. *

I was at the Gopher-Sioux hockey game last night and for as big a rivalry as the Sioux fans brag it up to be it doesn't hold a candle to NDSU-UND football. I would probably say that the NDSU-SDSU football game had a just as intense of an atmosphere. It was a fun game to go see and I wouldn't mind if NDSU started up a team but please don't try and say that UND-MN is a bigger event than NDSU-UND.

I said I thought it would be debatable. Personally, I prefer Sioux/Bison football, because I'm a bigger fb fan than hockey. I just think that unfortunately, there are alot of hockey fans that don't give a rat about football, but most football fans (UND fans anyway), at least pay attention to hockey.

JBB
12-11-2005, 02:50 PM
tell me Bin, is TIVO cable supplied or can you buy similar units at the store. Ive never looked into it.

WYOBISONMAN
12-11-2005, 03:12 PM
JEEEZ, i leave town for a few days and this thread goes to hell :(

RW---you need to stick around and bring civility to some of these threads...... ;)

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-11-2005, 04:28 PM

I also think UND may be a little full of itself in suggesting what an epic rivalry it has with the Gophers. Being a life-long gopher hockey fan (unfortunately the last year or two I've missed a lot of games) the UND rivalry was nice but the main games of interest were always the ones with Wisconsin.

kchats
12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
tell me Bin, is TIVO cable supplied or can you buy similar units at the store. *Ive never looked into it.

I think what bin has in the DirecTV TIVO receiver. It is an upgrade over the standard receiver. Dish Network also has one that is similar I think it is a DVR.

bincitysioux
12-11-2005, 05:36 PM
I have a regular DirecTV Receiver, and a stand alone TIVO box hooked up to it. *You can buy the stand-alone's at places like Best Buy pretty cheap now, then it is like $11/month for the service, or a one time fee of $200 for service for as long as you own that TIVO box. *You can now get the DTV/TIVO combo units as well. *Not sure what pricing or service costs are for this, but I do believe it is a little different. *I'd get the stand-alone if you already have alot of $$ tied up in an HD receiver or something, but if you've just got the basic receiver, I'd just replace it with the combo one. *Eliminates some clutter on top of the TV, and channel changing can be slow with the stand-alone add on unit. *The thing is, once you have TIVO, you'll never wanna watch TV without it again.

BisBison
01-13-2006, 04:39 AM
Lot's of teams announcing their '06 schedules UNC & SDSU this week. I wonder when our's will be finalized. ???

Bisonguy
01-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Lot's of teams announcing their '06 schedules UNC & SDSU this week. I wonder when our's will be finalized. ???

Probably about the same as the last couple years. Late july or august. :-/

TheBisonator
01-13-2006, 05:10 AM
Probably about the same as the last couple years. Late july or august. *:-/

That is unfortunately true.

God, I wish we were in a bigger conference...

Gamehunter
01-13-2006, 06:54 AM
We do know the vast majority of the games already with only 3 unknowns. That alone should make for some very entertaining games this fall. Hopefully the remaining 3 are I-AA's, but this late in the game I wouldn't put a lot of stock in all of them being at least I-AA, and every week that goes by decreases the chances. I also get the feeling NDSU isn't willing to do a 2 for 1 deal with any I-AA's like some other schools are doing.

Still wondering what kind of contract NDSU made with SIU? There hasn't been any talk about a return game, and I would question if SIU would opt for a gaurrantee game as it wasn't a huge draw.

BisonBacker
01-13-2006, 01:12 PM
We do know the vast majority of the games already with only 3 unknowns. *That alone should make for some very entertaining games this fall. *Hopefully the remaining 3 are I-AA's, but this late in the game I wouldn't put a lot of stock in all of them being at least I-AA, and every week that goes by decreases the chances. *I also get the feeling NDSU isn't willing to do a 2 for 1 deal with any I-AA's like some other schools are doing.

Still wondering what kind of contract NDSU made with SIU? *There hasn't been any talk about a return game, and I would question if SIU would opt for a gaurrantee game as it wasn't a huge draw.
Your also forgetting that alot of the students were gone at the time that game was held so not a fair conclusion IMO. I think if the students were around that game would be attended very well.

roadwarrior
01-13-2006, 04:06 PM
The Southern Illinois deal was for one game only (2005).

BisonCountry
01-13-2006, 04:31 PM
The Southern Illinois deal was for one game only (2005).

I also heard they were unwilling to sign a contract for a return game (after the game) because their AD had underestimated our team.

Bisonguy
01-13-2006, 05:13 PM
I thought it was well known before the game was played that SIU was a guarantee game only.

Montana State was a guarantee/option for a return.

sambini
02-04-2006, 01:58 AM
I heard UNI is looking for a game.

DenverBison05
02-04-2006, 02:20 AM
It also looks like EWU might be considering playing us.

Here is the website where I found the info. Very similar to our Bison Media Blog
http://spokesmanreview.com/blogs/ewu/

Bison_Kent
02-05-2006, 03:27 PM
I would like to see Eastern Washington. Based on released schedules, I think they are the only Big Sky team left that would have an open date when NDSU does.

sambini
02-05-2006, 03:54 PM
Bring on the competion.

BisonBacker
02-05-2006, 04:13 PM
EWU would be a quality opponent, any mention of where the game would take place if it was scheduled?