PDA

View Full Version : NDSU interested in playing JMU on 9/9 or 9/16?

JMU_Duke_Dog
02-09-2006, 04:28 AM
JMU still needs to finalize its schedule. The Dukes have openings on 9/9/06 and 9/16/06. Would you all be interested?

NDSUstudent
02-09-2006, 04:34 AM
If JMU came to the Dome first I would be all for it, we really need some home games and JMU would be a great opponent to play.

Gamehunter
02-09-2006, 04:44 AM
unfortunately the Bison would only be interested in a home game, which seems to be the case with most schools. We have 2 dates left to fill, and one of them must be a I-AA home game, and the other either another I-AA home game or Minnesota which is pushing the Bison for a game this fall in the Metrodome.

So far the Bison's road schedule is brutal to say the least:

Sept 16 - I-A Ball State
Step 30 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct 7 - Georgia Southern
Oct 28 - Southern Utah
Nov 4 - UC Davis

Home schedule:

Aug 31 - Concordia St. Paul (DII)
Sept 16 - Northeastern
Nov 11 - Cal Poly
Nov 18 - SDSU

If by any chance the Dukes can travel in '06 I'm sure the NDSU AD would be extremely receptive to hosting JMU and doing a return game in '07.

Bisonguy
02-09-2006, 04:45 AM
In September, it won't matter as much if the game is home or away. A home game is needed in October, as currently a stretch from either 9/9 or 9/16(depends on the source) until 11/11without a home game. Two frickin' months with no home game.

If Gene can get a home game in October, bring on the Dukes in September!!(home or away- and preferrably a home/home)

JMU_Duke_Dog
02-09-2006, 04:54 AM
Maybe JMU can go to NDSU in 2006 and NDSU can come to JMU in 2008? Would that work? JMU already has 5 home games for 2006 and is looking to avoid playing two DII schools in the same season.

Our AD's Info:
Jeff Bourne
(540) 568-6164
bournejt@jmu.edu

Gamehunter
02-09-2006, 07:21 AM
In September, it won't matter as much if the game is home or away. A home game is needed in October, as currently a stretch from either 9/9 or 9/16(depends on the source) until 11/11without a home game. Two frickin' months with no home game.

If Gene can get a home game in October, bring on the Dukes in September!!(home or away- and preferrably a home/home)

That may change if SDSU is moved to homecomming. Deer season is generally hard on those November games anyway.

tony
02-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh heck yeah. I'm positive NDSU would be interested but we really need home games this season.

MplsBison
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Is no one interested in trying to get Montana State to Fargo on 9/9 2006?

Eastern Washington is also aparantly open on 9/9.

I'd rather not see our schedule with no Big Sky games.

We already have an A10 school (which, no offense, is already one too many) with Northeastern coming to town.

MinotBison
02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
JMU still needs to finalize its schedule. *The Dukes have openings on 9/9/06 and 9/16/06. *Would you all be interested?

Have your A.D. call ours and let's see what happens. ;D

mjh
02-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Who is Jmu?

JMU_Duke_Dog
02-09-2006, 08:36 PM
JMU = James Madison University

Enrollment: ~17,000

JMU won the 2004 I-AA National Championship.

MRBISON
02-09-2006, 09:02 PM
I think it would be great to play JMU...
Looks like they were 7-4 last year and all the games that they lost were real close to some good teams....and it was Montana that they beat in 04 for the title.

Esquire
02-09-2006, 09:08 PM
JMU would be a very, very tough opponent. They are very good football team. If we ended up playing JMU and then also played the University of Minnestoa Gophers, our schedule would be the one of toughest schedules in our division. Might not be fun for the coaches, but would be fun for the fans.

Possible schedule:

Sept 16 - I-A Ball State
Oct 7 - Georgia Southern
Oct 21 - University of Minnesota
Oct 28 - Southern Utah
Nov 4 - UC Davis

Home schedule:

Sept. 7 - James Madison University
Sept 16 - Northeastern
Nov 11 - Cal Poly
Nov 18 - SDSU

JMU_Duke_Dog
02-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I think it would be great to play JMU...
Looks like they were 7-4 last year and all the games that they lost were real close to some good teams....and it was Montana that they beat in 04 for the title.

JMU's 2005 Results
9/3 vs. Lock Haven W 56-0
9/10 at Coastal Carolina L 27-31
9/17 vs. Delaware State W 65-7
10/1 at Hofstra W 42-10
10/8 vs. Maine W 38-2
10/15 at Massachusetts L 7-10
10/22 at Delaware L 28-34
10/29 vs. Richmond L 15-18
11/5 at William & Mary W 30-29
11/12 vs. Villanova W 28-13
11/19 vs. Towson W 55-14

JMU's 2004 Results
9/4 vs. Lock Haven W 62-7
9/18 at Villanova W 17-0
9/25 at West Virginia L 10-45
10/2 vs. Hofstra W 31-21
10/9 vs. Massachusetts W 28-7
10/16 at Maine W 24-20
10/23 at Richmond W 26-20
10/30 vs. VMI W 41-10
11/6 vs. Delaware W 20-13
11/13 vs. William & Mary L 24-27
11/20 at Towson W 31-17
11/27 at Lehigh W 14-13 (First Round)
12/3 at Furman W 14-13 (Quarterfinals)
12/10 at William & Mary W 48-34 (Semifinals)
12/17 #vs. Montana W 31-21 (National Championship)

# = Played in Chattanooga, TN

JMU_Duke_Dog
02-09-2006, 09:19 PM
JMU's 2006 schedule so far looks like this:

9/2 Bloomsburg
9/9
9/16
9/23 Northeastern
9/30 at VMI
10/7 Rhode Island
10/14 at New Hampshire
10/21 William & Mary
10/28 at Richmond
11/4 Delaware
11/11 at Villanova
11/18 at Towson

MRBISON
02-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Esquire: That looks like a really tough schedule. But it would give NDSU a very good idea of where they stand and where they need to go in order to make a future playoff run.

What are the chances of this schedule becoming reality?

MplsBison
02-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Sept. 7 - James Madison University
Sept 16 - Northeastern
Nov 11 - Cal Poly
Nov 18 - SDSU

That still leaves us with no Oct. home games unless SDSU gets switched to Oct 14th. In that case, we would have an 11 game straight schedule with no off weeks, something that I think would be looked down up on by the staff.

tcbison
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Mplsbison is correct. We need a home game in October and a bye week in there as well. I would like to play either Montana State, JMU or Eastern Washington at home on 9/9 and move the SDSU game to October. Then the question is who can NDSU play on Nov. 18th?

MRBISON
02-09-2006, 10:21 PM
It would be great to get a team from the Gateway Conference ( i.e. Norther Iowa, Illinois State) to come to the dome in October. Maybe one of those teams has an opening?

Doesn't Southern Illinois owe us a game in Fargo? ;D

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I would be all up for a game with JMU. A class team and talented team.

As far as the schedule goes, it could be a tough year for the football team. There are some great teams on the schedule, and I will be happy if NDSU can come away above .500.

Perhaps a rebuilding year maybe, and the away schedule is already brutal, and UofM wants us to play there, which would only make the schedule worse.

BisonBacker
02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I would be all up for a game with JMU. *A class team and talented team.

As far as the schedule goes, it could be a tough year for the football team. *There are some great teams on the schedule, and I will be happy if NDSU can come away above .500.

Perhaps a rebuilding year maybe, and the away schedule is already brutal, and UofM wants us to play there, which would only make the schedule worse.
I know the schedule will be tough but to say you'd be happy with a .500 sched??? Ouch! I don't care who we play if were .500 I won't be happy and neither will the coaches.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I know man but look at our schedule. *NDSU is an average road team, and look at the teams they play.

Sept 16 - *I-A Ball State
Oct 7 - Georgia Southern
Oct 28 - Southern Utah
Nov 4 - UC Davis

I'll be realistic and say Southern Utah is the only game that NDSU would be favored in. *

We do get Cal Poly at home, but they return almost everyone on a dangerous offense, and I'm not going to say we will win that game for sure, because they have some serious talent on that team.

Add in the fact that everyone wants NDSU to play the Gophers, and that's probably another loss right there.

I won't be happy to finish at or around .500 I guess, but it won't surprise me one bit if NDSU does, or doesn't even finish .500.

We're still a very young team going through the transition into D-1.

JMU_Duke_Dog
02-09-2006, 11:08 PM
JMU is supposed to make an announcement tonight during the postgame broadcast of JMU's men's basketball game tonight. Rumor is now that the Appalachian State series deal is back on; however, you can never be truly sure until the announcement. Check www.anygivensaturday.com for the announcement!

MplsBison
02-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Mplsbison is correct. We need a home game in October and a bye week in there as well. I would like to play either Montana State, JMU or Eastern Washington at home on 9/9 and move the SDSU game to October. Then the question is who can NDSU play on Nov. 18th?

That would be OK.

But I don't like having the off week on Oct. 21. That makes it look like we're really telling the Gophers to go screw themselves.

I'd I had absolute control, I'd get Montana State at home on 9/9 and Sam Houston State at home on 10/21 with 10/14 as a bye week.

That way we have two more DI-AA home games, a home game in Oct., Montana State at home early (sell out?), and a legitimate reason to tell the Gophers no in 2006.

scottheck
02-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Unfortunately, none of us have much pull with our AD, Gene Taylor. *He is very accessible and willing to discuss ideas. *We can email, phone and offer our desires but how much influence we exert.....?

How did you find us, JMU_Dog?

Hell, yes, the alumni would be interested in a game. As everyone else has pointed out, we're looking for at least one home game of caliber.

Gamehunter
02-10-2006, 01:25 AM
I would be all up for a game with JMU. A class team and talented team.

As far as the schedule goes, it could be a tough year for the football team. There are some great teams on the schedule, and I will be happy if NDSU can come away above .500.

A rebuilding year? You've got to be kidding me right?

Maybe last year was a rebuilding year, this year; absolutely not. Most of the DL is new, and 2 graduating tight ends to which we don't really have an idea how those new players will turn out, but every other position is well taken care of. I just don't see how you could even consider this to be a rebuilding season with what we have returning. If this team goes under .500 it is because they are grossly underachieving or run into some serious injury problems from all of these tough games.

The teams on next years schedule look like they should be some very tough teams less a couple of the road games, but that doesn't mean the Bison wont be equally as tough.

Bisonguy
02-10-2006, 01:32 AM
Rumor on AGS has JMU filling out their schedule and getting hot, hot, hot, with Appalachian State this upcoming season. :-/

Oh well, what could have been....

roadwarrior
02-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Some of the posts here infer that Gene Taylor is not aware of these teams that have open dates. From what I have heard he is way of ahead of us in knowledge on these teams. He's on the phone with these guys all the time, but its not as easy to schedule a game because they all want home games or dont want to travel all the way to Fargo to play or maybe scared of the thought of playing the Bison in the Fargodome. He seems most interested in signing home and home deals with other teams (like GSU).

Getting into the Big Sky would solve this huge problem for the Bison, since that alone would give us four home D-IAA games each season. Only three dates would be open each year to find opponents for, instead of the current seven.

TransAmBison
02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Some of the posts here infer that Gene Taylor is not aware of these teams that have open dates. *From what I have heard he is way of ahead of us in knowledge on these teams. *He's on the phone with these guys all the time, but its not as easy to schedule a game because they all want home games or dont want to travel all the way to Fargo to play or maybe scared of the thought of playing the Bison in the Fargodome. *He seems most interested in signing home and home deals with other teams (like GSU).

Getting into the Big Sky would solve this huge problem for the Bison, since that alone would give us four home D-IAA games each season. *Only three dates would be open each year to find opponents for, instead of the current seven.
You hit the nail on the head road...

silkamilkamonico
02-11-2006, 01:00 AM
A rebuilding year? *You've got to be kidding me right?

Maybe last year was a rebuilding year, this year; absolutely not. *Most of the DL is new, and 2 graduating tight ends to which we don't really have an idea how those new players will turn out, but every other position is well taken care of. *I just don't see how you could even consider this to be a rebuilding season with what we have returning. *If this team goes under .500 it is because they are grossly underachieving or run into some serious injury problems from all of these tough games.

The teams on next years schedule look like they should be some very tough teams less a couple of the road games, but that doesn't mean the Bison wont be equally as tough.

Rebuilding year was a bad word.

I should have stated something like a progression year.

NDSU will be strong no doubt, but this is also undoubtedly shaping up to be the hardest schedule NDSU has ever had. And I won't ignore the fact that 4 of the 5 toughest games are on the road, where the Bison have been a mere average team with the exception of a couple of games over the last few years.