PDA

View Full Version : MVFC All Conference Team

tolnabison
11-28-2016, 03:56 PM
http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/11/28/football-bison-lead-league-with-12-all-mvfc-picks-eight-on-first-team.aspx

NDSU 1st Team Members
RB: King Frazier
FB: Chase Morlock
OL: Zach Johnson
OL: Landon Lechler
DL: Greg Mernard
LB: MJ Stumpf
DB: Tre Dempsey
DB: Robbie Grimsley

NDSU 2nd Team Members
TE: Jeff Illies
OL: Jack Plankers
LS: James Fisher
DL: Nate Tanguay

NDSU Honorable Mention
QB: Easton Stick
LB: Pierre Gee-Tucker
DB: Jalen Allison

THEsocalledfan
11-28-2016, 04:14 PM
http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/11/28/football-bison-lead-league-with-12-all-mvfc-picks-eight-on-first-team.aspx

NDSU 1st Team Members
RB: King Frazier
FB: Chase Morlock
OL: Zach Johnson
OL: Landon Lechler
DL: Greg Mernard
LB: MJ Stumpf
DB: Tre Dempsey
DB: Robbie Grimsley

NDSU 2nd Team Members
TE: Jeff Illies
OL: Jack Plankers
LS: James Fisher
DL: Nate Tanguay

NDSU Honorable Mention
QB: Easton Stick
LB: Pierre Gee-Tucker
DB: Jalen Allison

Can anyone explain how Tanguay is not first team? That is BS. And Tucker is not on the list? You kidding me?

MNLonghorn10
11-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Robbie Grimsley?

ByeSonBusiness
11-28-2016, 04:17 PM
Can anyone explain how Tanguay is not first team? That is BS. And Tucker is not on the list? You kidding me?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Mr. Burgundy
11-28-2016, 04:20 PM

stinks for the kids...as you know they want recognition...but this is GREAT motivation for us. I personally like it. I also love that Chris gets no love as coach. 10-1 against the hardest schedule in the history of the program, best FBS win ever, losing two of our best players, several other major injuries, winning the league, only loss is in the last second....I love it. Keep overlooking NDSU. I hope other schools keep poking the Bison on twitter. This is a fun time of the year. I love the playoff dome. Our staff isn't going to be begging fans to show up, we aren't going to give away tickets, and it will be full. Cannot wait.

Trumpster
11-28-2016, 04:28 PM

I would think it's because they put all the DL together so you get a bunch of DE on it because they get the stats.

edit: Also PGT is on honorable mention list

bruinbison
11-28-2016, 05:06 PM
1st thing that jumped out at me was the battle next year -
NDSU Defense versus SDSU Offense
SDSU returns 5 1st and 2nd team all-conference on offense
NDSU returns 4 1st and 2nd team all-conference on defense (and DeLuca)

wagsabison
11-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Robbie Grimsley?

The Grimsley hater will like that... first team is pretty surprising.

Christopher Moen
11-28-2016, 05:16 PM
Robbie Grimsley?

If you look at him from outsider's point-of-view, he's actually pretty good. Too many here are critical of him because they want him to be Heagle. While that would be awesome if he could, but that type of expectation leads to the dissenters only looking at Grimsley's few mistakes, while totally ignoring the many plays he makes.

I'm just glad that these same people are not treating Easton the same way as they know that Easton and Carson are not the same type of QB.

Bison Bridge Guy
11-28-2016, 05:58 PM
If you look at him from outsider's point-of-view, he's actually pretty good. Too many here are critical of him because they want him to be Heagle. While that would be awesome if he could, but that type of expectation leads to the dissenters only looking at Grimsley's few mistakes, while totally ignoring the many plays he makes.

I'm just glad that these same people are not treating Easton the same way as they know that Easton and Carson are not the same type of QB.

He's tied with PGT for the team lead in tackles is tied for second in INTs. He's had a damn good season. Mistakes yes, but he's been good.

MontBison
11-28-2016, 10:34 PM

Hell I just want him to make a solo tackle. I'm way to hard on the guy but his missed tackles/blown coverage seem to come at the worst time.

Herd12
11-28-2016, 11:04 PM
Hell I just want him to make a solo tackle. I'm way to hard on the guy but his missed tackles/blown coverage seem to come at the worst time.

He's a free safety playing strong safety because Chris Board can't. He's a better cover guy than Heagle ever was. Yes, he has difficulty with the open-field tackle, something that not only was Heagle a wizard at, but is an obvious things for fans to see. I'm guessing though, that his "blown coverages" are a figment of your imagination, especially in conference play.

Christopher Moen
11-28-2016, 11:04 PM

How on Earth have you missed the numerous times he has made a solo tackle this year? He has 33 of them so far this year, to go along with with his 70 total tackles, 4 interceptions and 1 force fumble. http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2016/teamcume.htm#TEAM.DEF

Christopher Moen
11-28-2016, 11:14 PM
He's a free safety playing strong safety because Chris Board can't. He's a better cover guy than Heagle ever was. Yes, he has difficulty with the open-field tackle, something that not only was Heagle a wizard at, but is an obvious things for fans to see. I'm guessing though, that his "blown coverages" are a figment of your imagination, especially in conference play.

Boom! Pretty much what I was trying to allude to earlier in regards to comparing Grimsley and Heagle isn't fair because they aren't the same type of player. If there was a way to combine both players' strengths into one, that individual would be getting serious looks from NFL scouts.

MontBison
11-29-2016, 12:20 AM
How on Earth have you missed the numerous times he has made a solo tackle this year? He has 33 of them so far this year, to go along with with his 70 total tackles, 4 interceptions and 1 force fumble. http://stats.gobison.com/fb/2016/teamcume.htm#TEAM.DEF

I guess the imagine of him getting run over on numerous occasions in the SDSU game will be in my mind forever. That's something you can't unsee

Vet70
11-29-2016, 12:29 AM
I guess the imagine of him getting run over on numerous occasions in the SDSU game will be in my mind forever. That's something you can't unsee

Did you happen to see his game-high 14 tackles (8 solos, 6 assists) as well?

89MTBISON
11-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Love seein two North Dakota kids on the first team. Congrats MJ and Landon!

bison_by_blood
11-29-2016, 09:57 AM

Who are you gonna kick off to make room for Tanguay? Schult is going to win DPOY, Rivers is a shoe in for the other 1st team all American DE, Menard and Moss might be your 2nd team all Americans. No shame in being 2nd team at DT behind possibly the four best DEs in the country.

StL Bison Fan
11-29-2016, 04:15 PM
TIL: I know nothing about punting

Proof: http://gobison.com/news/2016/11/29/koonce-named-to-valley-football-all-newcomer-team.aspx

Vet70
11-29-2016, 04:18 PM
TIL: I know nothing about punting

Proof: http://gobison.com/news/2016/11/29/koonce-named-to-valley-football-all-newcomer-team.aspx

Maybe there were no other newcomers who were punters. I don't know whether that was purple or not.

StL Bison Fan
11-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Maybe there were no other newcomers who were punters. I don't know whether that was purple or not.

No purple from me.

garbageman
11-29-2016, 06:16 PM
No purple from me.

He does lead the nation in punt return yards. Lecompte was on the insiders and even said that was remarkable. We were just spoiled with Lecompte but he did give up some return yards sometimes

HoopsBison
11-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Very surprised PGT didnt make any team and only got honorable mention...hes had a terrific senior season.

BisonNation11
11-29-2016, 07:08 PM
Very surprised PGT didnt make any team and only got honorable mention...hes had a terrific senior season.

Check his Twitter. He's not pleased either. Hopefully he uses it as fuel for the fire.

X-Factor
11-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Was Colin Connor eligible for all-newcommer? Seems like he was solid this year

Bison Loaf
11-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Was Colin Connor eligible for all-newcommer? Seems like he was solid this year

Agree. Also, was Lance Dunn considered a newcomer last year? Almost can't believe he didn't make it. Also thought maybe Jalen Wimbush might have a shot.

I'm sure a lot depends on who else, on other teams, was at your position.

Just wanted to note that I thought Nate Jenson had a very solid year also. I think coaches would tell you that his blocking especially has been instrumental in further solidifying the TE corps. He's had a decent year receiving also, and I think will look even better once we utilize the TE's more consistently in the passing game. I actually expect that to be the case in the playoffs.

TateMosersneighbor
11-30-2016, 01:32 PM
We could have the entire Bison team selected as 1st team all MVFC and someone would bitch on Bisonville about not getting enough respect. We also could have a 19 year old kid from Hutchinson who was Mr. Football for the damn state of MN his senior year come in and start as a true freshman, be tied for the team lead in tackles as a sophomore and someone would call him out as being lucky.

Most of us would have got ran over by Grimsley when he was a Junior at Hutchinson, yet we are experts at the keyboard on our defense, how to tackle, the opposing offenses we see week in and week out, the speed of the game, how to play on turf versus grass, dealing with the noise of the crowd, knowing blitz packages and on and on.

We are the best football conference in America (FCS) and Grimsley is a helluva football player. We are so so spoiled...

ByeSonBusiness
11-30-2016, 01:41 PM
We could have the entire Bison team selected as 1st team all MVFC and someone would bitch on Bisonville about not getting enough respect. We also could have a 19 year old kid from Hutchinson who was Mr. Football for the damn state of MN his senior year come in and start as a true freshman, be tied for the team lead in tackles as a sophomore and someone would call him out as being lucky.

Most of us would have got ran over by Grimsley when he was a Junior at Hutchinson, yet we are experts at the keyboard on our defense, how to tackle, the opposing offenses we see week in and week out, the speed of the game, how to play on turf versus grass, dealing with the noise of the crowd, knowing blitz packages and on and on.

We are the best football conference in America (FCS) and Grimsley is a helluva football player. We are so so spoiled...

did you ever complain about Nick Mertens?

TateMosersneighbor
11-30-2016, 05:55 PM
did you ever complain about Nick Mertens?

What is interesting is that in a team game, we look at individuals too much, like the Mr. Football from EGF was so much worse than the Mr. Football from Hutchinson.

If you compare this year's team stats to the 2009 team stats...you'd be surprised to find that offensively, 2009 held their own. 2009 had more ppg, more passing first downs, more passing completions, more passing yardage per game, more total yards per game, more touchdowns, Mertens had the same number of TD passes that Stick has and if he'd played 11 games like Stick, he's likely would have had a few more.

The success or lack thereof shouldn't be put on one kid's shoulders...

oldmantutters
12-02-2016, 09:38 PM
What is interesting is that in a team game, we look at individuals too much, like the Mr. Football from EGF was so much worse than the Mr. Football from Hutchinson.

If you compare this year's team stats to the 2009 team stats...you'd be surprised to find that offensively, 2009 held their own. 2009 had more ppg, more passing first downs, more passing completions, more passing yardage per game, more total yards per game, more touchdowns, Mertens had the same number of TD passes that Stick has and if he'd played 11 games like Stick, he's likely would have had a few more.

The success or lack thereof shouldn't be put on one kid's shoulders...
That doesn't surprise me in the least. Our defense in 2009 was hardly on the field it seemed. Mostly because they looked like they would rather play 2-hand touch or flag football.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk