PDA

View Full Version : Gophers in...... 06???

somebison
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Minnesota's football schedule is close to being complete through the 2009 season. On the other hand, it's still not complete, and next season's schedule still has three holes in it.
Even the deal to play Division I-AA North Dakota State is not finalized, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said Thursday.
"If this works out, it's going to be great," Maturi said. "If it doesn't, I have a real problem on my hands."
Maturi has been working for months to solidify the schedule for the next several years; the key to his plan is a series against Mid-American Conference opponents that would begin with a game at Kent State in September and give Minnesota seven of 12 games at home for the 2007, 2008 and 2009 seasons.
"If I made a mistake, it is believing that this will work," Maturi said of the deal with the MAC. "If it doesn't, I've waited too long, because nothing has been signed yet."
Next season's schedule includes open dates Sept. 2 and 9, and Oct. 21. The October date tentatively has been filled by North Dakota State, but Maturi said that deal has not been signed.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/colleges/13614286.htm

Bison_Dan
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Minnesota's football schedule is close to being complete through the 2009 season. On the other hand, it's still not complete, and next season's schedule still has three holes in it.
Even the deal to play Division I-AA North Dakota State is not finalized, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said Thursday.
"If this works out, it's going to be great," Maturi said. "If it doesn't, I have a real problem on my hands."
Maturi has been working for months to solidify the schedule for the next several years; the key to his plan is a series against Mid-American Conference opponents that would begin with a game at Kent State in September and give Minnesota seven of 12 games at home for the 2007, 2008 and 2009 seasons.
"If I made a mistake, it is believing that this will work," Maturi said of the deal with the MAC. "If it doesn't, I've waited too long, because nothing has been signed yet."
Next season's schedule includes open dates Sept. 2 and 9, and Oct. 21. The October date tentatively has been filled by North Dakota State, but Maturi said that deal has not been signed.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/colleges/13614286.htm

Wow- would that mean we'll play the Gophers in 06 & 07?

tony
01-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Or maybe just in 2006, I'm guessing.

Bison_Kent
01-13-2006, 03:30 PM
I am not sure about playing two I-A teams in the same season (Ball State on Sept. 23) but it might be good since the Bison aren't playoff eligible. Once NDSU is playoff eligible, I would like to see just one I-A team.

In any event, I will be at the Metrodome should this game take place.

MinotBison
01-13-2006, 04:49 PM
What was the payout going to be for the '07 game with the Gophers?

tony
01-13-2006, 04:56 PM
You know, I wonder what's going on... there were two articles - one in the Star Tribune and one in the Forum saying that the game was for 2007 ($275k guarantee). I just find it a little weird that NDSU would play the Gophers two years running.

BisonCountry
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
You know, I wonder what's going on... there were two articles - one in the Star Tribune and one in the Forum saying that the game was for 2007 ($275k guarantee). I just find it a little weird that NDSU would play the Gophers two years running.

I'm a little confused myself. At first glance I was assuming they were saying our game for 2007 wasn't finalized because they were still hoping to move the game up to August rather than in the middle of their Big 10 schedule. But the article certainly makes it sound like they are talking about a 2006 game.

mikelsch
01-13-2006, 05:11 PM
According to the gobison website. They usually don't post things unless they are official. From the forum article it certainly appeared that 2007 was a done deal. I would be shocked if we played them in 2006 as well.

Sep 16 Northeastern University
Sep 23 Ball State University
Sep 30 Stephen F. Austin
Oct 07 OPEN
Oct 14 OPEN
Oct 21 OPEN
Oct 28 Southern Utah
Nov 04 UC Davis
Nov 11 Cal Poly
Nov 18 South Dakota State

Sep 08 Stephen F. Austin
Oct 06 UC Davis
Oct 20 University of Minnesota
Oct 27 Southern Utah
Nov 10 Cal Poly
Nov 17 South Dakota State

somebison
01-13-2006, 05:12 PM
10/21 is a Saturday this year and listed as an NDSU open date

IowaBison
01-13-2006, 05:19 PM
A new contract with the Gophers could certainly swap the dates.

Though it would require patience on my part, I'd rather see the Bison play the Gophers in 2007.

Gamehunter
01-13-2006, 05:27 PM
It sounds like the U is scrambling trying to find non-conference games and NDSU might be an easy solution to a home matchup. Sounds to me like we may have 2 dates at the Metrodome if the deal works out. I would suspect that the 2 I-A's in the same season, especially '06, is what is holding Gene back.

mikelsch
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't know if we are ready for it (2 I-A games in 2006)

Bisonguy
01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Bring on the Gophers!

NDSUstudent
01-13-2006, 05:40 PM
I am not a huge fan of playing the Gophers next year, two IA's is alot but I wouldn't mind it as long as Coach Bohl thinks the team could handle it. Although, next year might be a good year to take on the Gophers because they are losing a lot of key players.

Maybe Chapman should propose that NDSU will play Minnesota in two straight seasons in football if and only if the Minnesota mens basketball team makes one trip to Fargo sometime during the next two seasons. Getting their basketball team down here would be huge. It would be great for recruiting and it would give the basketball team a big boast in regional media attention.

IowaBison
01-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Maybe Chapman should propose that NDSU will play Minnesota in two straight seasons in football if and only if the Minnesota mens basketball team makes one trip to Fargo sometime during the next two seasons. Getting their basketball team down here would be huge. It would be great for recruiting and it would give the basketball team a big boast in regional media attention.

That is a great idea. *The first one I've read on this site in years. * ;D

kchats
01-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Hey they are trying to help the Bison out by scheduling us in all sports and they are in a bind for games next season. If we play them two years in a row and in 2006 to help them out they need a bigger paycheck for 2006. Maybe $300,000 since it is a need game for the Gophers.

tcbison
01-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Personally, I would love to see NDSU play the Gophers in both 2006 and 2007. Since we can't make the playoffs in those years, I would like to see the Bison play the best competition that they can and get some more recognition(and money) in the process.

mikelsch
01-13-2006, 07:34 PM
How bout we play there in 2006 and 2007 and a RETURN game in Fargo for 2008. I just woke up from a really nice dream.

coloradobison
01-13-2006, 07:44 PM
How bout we play there in 2006 and 2007 and a RETURN game in Fargo for 2008. *I just woke up from a really nice dream.

might as well go back to it.

MinotBison
01-13-2006, 08:47 PM
How bout we play there in 2006 and 2007 and a RETURN game in Fargo for 2008. *I just woke up from a really nice dream.

Go back to it is right. The Sioux will play in Fargo long before the Gophers ever would, and we all know what the chances currently are of the Sioux playing here.

BisBison
01-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Go back to it is right. *The Sioux will play in Fargo long before the Gophers ever would, and we all know what the chances currently are of the Sioux playing here.

Who ??? ??? The Sioux ??? never heard of them

Gamehunter
01-14-2006, 12:05 AM

A possible reference to the flickertails maybe ???
Otherwise, I don't know either.

GFBisonFan
01-14-2006, 01:21 AM
speaking of that, we haven't heard from jbb for awhile

SloStang
01-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Personally, I would love to see NDSU play the Gophers in both 2006 and 2007. Since we can't make the playoffs in those years, I would like to see the Bison play the best competition that they can and get some more recognition(and money) in the process.
I agree with you. Take two on now and pick up your checks when it can not hurt your playoff chances. Then scale back to one when you are playoff eligible.

Cal Poly has two I-A teams on the schedule this year (San Jose State and San Diego State) and it has me worried. I think they are easier games than the Gophers, but they are still I-A. If we pick up two losses against them, we can not afford more than one loss the rest of the season against I-AA teams if we want to go back to the playoffs. I know we need the money, but to continue to build the program we need to continue to make the playoffs. We have some tough I-AA games on the schedule (NDSU, UCD, SDSU, Montana and probably 2 or 3 more Big Sky teams). It leaves very little room for error.

kchats
01-14-2006, 04:23 AM
Yeah but to be the best you have to play the best. It never hurts to play good competition. If it doesn't help the year you play them it should the next season. Teams learn much more against better competition.

sambini
01-14-2006, 06:15 AM
Is this true or just a rumor?

Bisonguy
01-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Here's the answer-

NO!

(at least for the next couple of months)

from: Bison reject Gophers in ’06 (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=114458&section=Sports)

DIBISON
01-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Yes it's true, the Bison have rejected the Gophers for a football game in 2006, at least for now. The 2007 game is still planned as scheduled.

Gully
01-14-2006, 11:59 AM
We need the dues!

Seriously, it's probably best to not play them in 06 but if we're in a bind and eventually agree to it, it'll still be exciting.

SDbison
01-14-2006, 04:42 PM
My oh my.....playing the Gophers in '06 in Minneapolis is so much better than paying Concordia St Paul to come to Fargo. Since NDSU had to schedule a cupcake like CSP why not play a DI-A team that everyone from NDSU knows about. Yeah the Bison already are scheduled to play Ball State, but as far as DI-A football is concerned they are not even in the middle. Who associates DI-A football with Ball State? Some people would probably even guess they are DI-AA. Come on Gene and Craig get some balls. How can you turn down Minnesota? Most likely the Bison will get blown out in '07 anyway. So why not get the payday, the exposure, the excitement now. The thing I like the least about the turndown is NDSU kind of sounds like that "school without a name up north"....picking and choosing when you can play your best. Maybe Craig should ask the players what they think? Still can't believe it. Turndown a game with Minnesota? Maybe an '06 and '07 game would have enough impact to get a quality transfer now to fill that D line void, etc. Did Gene or Craig even think about that?

dabearsrule
01-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Here's the answer-

NO!

(at least for the next couple of months)

from: Bison reject Gophers in ’06 (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=114458&section=Sports)

Holy crap! Why turn down something like that? Take the pay day.

JACKGUYII
01-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I believe the Bison turning down the game in 06 is all about leverage. This game will happen, but at a higher price as the Gophers are really in a bind and know the Bison with their local and traveling alumni is their best option! Can you say $300,000! I wish the Jacks were in a position from a scholarship standpoint to take the game. *

dabearsrule
01-14-2006, 06:14 PM
I believe the Bison turning down the game in 06 is all about leverage. This game will happen, but at a higher price as the Gophers are really in a bind and know the Gophers with their local and traveling alumni is their best option! Can you say $300,000! I wish the Jacks were in a position from a scholarship standpoint to take the game. *

possibly, but what about the excitment and publicity this could get the Bison which could be worth more then the money.

Gamehunter
01-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Holy crap! Why turn down something like that? Take the pay day.

The Bison program is financially secure, I would venture to say. We already have our date with the Gophers in 2007, in which the Bison team should be considerably better. I also don't think the Bison are ready physically for 2 DI-A's in the same season. I-A games tend to involve alot (or some) of injuries, just ask UC-Davis. There is still a couple areas that are VERY thin for depth, most notably D-line.

JACKGUYII
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
The Bison program is financially secure, I would venture to say. *We already have our date with the Gophers in 2007, in which the Bison team should be considerably better. *I also don't think the Bison are ready physically for 2 DI-A's in the same season. *I-A games tend to involve alot (or some) of injuries, just ask UC-Davis. *There is still a couple areas that are VERY thin for depth, most notably D-line.

I concur with the potential injury situation, but to say the Bison are financially secure is a reach. Every program has needs ie. (Bison Need an enhanced Sports Arena or New Basketball Arena) and I'm sure there are numerous other needs to help fund the added expenses of a DI program.

Gamehunter
01-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I concur with the potential injury situation, but to say the Bison are financially secure is a reach. Every program has needs ie. (Bison Need an enhanced Sports Arena or New Basketball Arena) and I'm sure there are numerous other needs to help fund the added expenses of a DI program.

Jack, those are not needs, they are something the Bison program would like to have at some point in time. I see your point though, the money from UM could be used to help fund a BSA renovation, etc. But that is why NDSU has the luxury of saying "Thanks, but no thanks". We are already getting the gaurantee money from Ball State in '06. The fact of the matter is the Bison are NOT running a huge deficit, they already have one of the largest athletic budgets in I-AA, and they are close to being fully funded in every sport offered at NDSU. You tell me NDSU is not financially secure to make decisions based on something other than money and somehow "needs" this 300k UM is offering.

JACKGUYII
01-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't think the Bison have the luxury where they can turn their nose up at 300K. I think ultimately they will agree to the game. I *think the Bison are weighing the benefits of the financial windfall vs being embarrased and beat up and losing the momentum the program has esstablished.

Yellow
01-14-2006, 09:11 PM
As i bison fan i agree with jackguy

NDSUstudent
01-14-2006, 11:26 PM
I doubt we will playing the Gophers next year and that is mostly because Coach Bohl doesn't want to. And I can agree with that because for one thing our depth is just not there yet and also I still think we could use some more talent/expeirence in the skill postitions. For now the Ball St game is enough and that game should be a good measuring stick of where NDSU is at compared to IA schools. As for the money NDSU could use it but we don't need it so bad that going for the money could end up hurting our football program.

Here is Jeff Kolpack's veiw of the situation.
http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Rodentia
01-14-2006, 11:37 PM
If it is a choice between playing the Gophers or playing a D-II team, which choice do you think NDSU will take?

MinotBison
01-15-2006, 12:35 AM
It would be awfully hard to turn down a nice paycheck, but if the coaches don't think the team is ready, they may do just that.

Gamehunter
01-15-2006, 01:02 AM
I don't think the Bison have the luxury where they can turn their nose up at 300K. I think ultimately they will agree to the game. I think the Bison are weighing the benefits of the financial windfall vs being embarrased and beat up and losing the momentum the program has esstablished.

I guess it is kind of nice to have this delema on whether or not WE want to play the gophers. Offer is on the table. Sounds like Bohl is against the game, and Gene is going to listen to his coaches. I would put an '06 game with the gophers at 50% right now. I think there will be some renegotiations, and as it looks right now, I-AA games are slim pickings, especially for NDSU.

If it is a choice between playing the Gophers or playing a D-II team, which choice do you think NDSU will take?

That is a good question.

IH8daSioux
01-15-2006, 01:03 AM
TAKE THAT GAME!!!! IF WE WANNA BE BIG TIME!

PLAY GOPHERS 2 years in a ROW!!

Imagine the jealousy among other D 1 AA's in the world (and for RECRUITING it would be HUGE in next couple weeks for undecided's and more importantly .... JUCO's that wanna impress NFL SCOUTS!!

Gene should get back on phone with MATURI and Say "HEY.. $300K.. and COME to Fargodome in 2008... Hell... Minnesota went to Louisana Lafeyette 2 years ago and played in front of 19,000-21,000 people.. i remember it well.

COME ON!! DO IT FOR ALL OF US!!

Gamehunter
01-15-2006, 03:07 AM
I highly doubt you will see Minnesota in Fargo anytime in the near future. Nice dream though ;D

BisonMav
01-15-2006, 03:18 AM
I would like to see the 2006 game too. But without the depth, this may hurt the Bison more than help. The I-A teams in the Big 10 will put a lot of wear and tear on a team during a game. I would hate to see an injury due to the lack of depth.

BisonBacker
01-15-2006, 03:51 AM
I'd like to see the game too but we have to trust that Coach Bohl made the right decision. *I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt us in the future when we want to schedule the gophers again.

Rodentia
01-15-2006, 04:42 AM
I suppose there is a goodwill factor in helping out the Gophers in filling a schedule, in that it might make them more inclined to schedule NDSU in the future. I think that NDSU wants to hunt around for a I-AA opponent, and if the Bison can't find one, they might change their position.

How about adding a clause to the contract that if the Bison win, the Gophers agree to a game in Fargo?

Bisonguy
01-15-2006, 04:44 AM
I'd push for a home/home in men's BB as part of the contract, or a 2 home/home at the least.

The Gophers FB team WILL NOT travel to a I-AA game. The BB team, however, might travel to another DI school.

MinotBison
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
As of this point in time, are we on or off for '06?

I do agree that the Gophs will NOT be coming to Fargo under any circumstances.

Bisonguy
01-15-2006, 05:11 AM
As of this point in time, are we on or off for '06?

I do agree that the Gophs will NOT be coming to Fargo under any circumstances.

Off, but if NDSU and the Gophers both still have an opening in a few months, it will be discussed again.

MinotBison
01-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Off, but if NDSU and the Gophers both still have an opening in a few months, it will be discussed again.

Thanks.

Among other things, does the health (or lack thereof) of Steve Walker's knee factor into the decision?

Rodentia
01-15-2006, 06:10 AM
I think that NDSU could get a 3-1 with the Gophers in basketball. The Gophers typically play only two non-conference basketball games on the road each season. The best selling point for getting a Gophers BB game in Fargo is if large numbers of Bison fans buy tickets for the Bison-Gophers BB games.

As for a NDSU-Minnesota football game in Fargo, there's about zero chance of that happening. The funny thing is though, that a Gophers game in Fargo would probably be better attended than the Gophers game at Kent State next year will be.

IH8daSioux
01-15-2006, 09:14 AM
In my earlier post.. Minnesota played down in Louisana=Lafayette like 1st game 2 years ago in front of 19,000 down there in that sorry stadium... Fargo Dome could squeeze 21,000 or 23,000 if we pack students in!!!

I dont know WHY WE DONT SIGN GOPHERS in 2006.... don't give them a reason to be annoyed at us. for future endeavors!!!

SIGN THIS!!! A guy can blow out his knee vs concorida st paul in the turf as much as gopher game in metrodome!!

soo LETS DO THIS!!!

coloradobison
01-15-2006, 04:09 PM
it's not the right time for the program, plain and simple.

Gully
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I'd push for a home/home in men's BB as part of the contract, or a 2 home/home at the least.

The Gophers FB team WILL NOT travel to a I-AA game. The BB team, however, might travel to another DI school. *

I was thinking the same thing...agree to the game on the condition that we play more in the future (football and basketball) with one BB game in Fargo.

scottheck
01-15-2006, 10:38 PM
This game might still happen with different financials. It sounded like Gene wanted a piece of the gate in the '07 game and couldn't get it. Instead, he got the flat $275k.

If the same terms were offered for '06, with the Gophers needing to fill dates worse than we do, and if the dates are still open in a couple months, Maturi might relinquish the gate.

OrygunBison
01-16-2006, 10:19 PM
I think that the decision should be weighed on two different scales:

1.) If the point of scheduling a IA team is to draw the attention to the program, to gain access to recruits, to fill the coffers, to build a strong IAA team, then I think that turning down the game makes some sense. We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot by creating more of a history of losses. We also just plain don't need the extra game. We'll be doing just fine with the benefit of BSU in 06 and UM in 07. That's already a good win for a building IAA program.

or

2.) If we are thinking really big, to create an athletic department that represents all sports at the highest levels, we should take the game. Let's face it, we're having trouble finding a conference home at IAA. Maybe we're not thinking big enough. Maybe this IAA thing is only a pitstop to where we ought to head which is IA. Gene and Craig have done a fantastic job raising the bar in the last couple of years. I don't thing IA is out of the question. In this scenario, TAKE THE FREAKIN' GAME, FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!

Unfortunately, I think that most people think that IAA was thinking big. I say, let's stop messing with the Big Sky's and Mid Con's and go right for the Mountain West or something else at that level. Playing the Gopher's ten years in a row will only benefit us.

My 2 cents...

Gamehunter
01-16-2006, 10:59 PM
there is currently 2 different threads going on at the gopherhole about NDSU not scheduling UM. Sounds like they really need some games for '06, and as far as I-AA goes, nobody will draw more than NDSU. Right now I'm hoping this game doesn't happen. I want to see how the Bison match up with Ball State first.

mikelsch
01-16-2006, 11:29 PM
The move to DI is a stepwise process. You can't skip steps just because someone is waving lots of guarantee money or percieved exposure. Taylor and Bohl (Miles, etc for that matter) have a plan for building a strong foundation/creating long-term success, and they're sticking to it. The ability to play 1 or 2 I-A games will always be there. No sense of putting the apple-cart before the horse. I trust our leaders.

sambini
01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
GREENIE YOU ARE RIGHT ON. +++++

SDbison
01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
I say quit pissing around and play the game. All this we are not ready, or they are DI-A makes us sound like und.
I am really hoping in the meantime Gene is trying to get recruits (transfers) to close deals if they know they could play two DI-A's in 2006. Also understand the power of negotiations to get more cash, etc. I know it is not my decision, but that is my opinion. If Minnesota needs a game we should help them out. I don't get Gene's big concern about not making '07 as attractive with an '06 game. So if we don't do '06 and get blown out in '07 will we just hide for a few years before we ever play them again?

Rodentia
01-17-2006, 12:09 AM
If the game helps NDSU become Minnesota's I-AA opponent of choice, that would be a good thing. It would benefit NDSU if whenever Minnesota needs a I-AA opponent they call NDSU first. I still think there is a significant chance that this game will happen if the spot isn't filled in the next couple months. I don't think the Bison want to schedule a D-III or NAIA opponent, but that could be the choice.

Herd_Mentality
01-17-2006, 12:39 AM
I say play the game whenever, wherever...

The draw would be big for a Gopher non-conference game whether people thought we would get killed or not. What you all need to realize is that it is a huge opportunity to create buzz about the program. All it would take is for one brilliant drive or several big plays to get more people excited again about Bison Football and the move to D1.

Look at the buzz out there about our men's basketball team. A HUGE part of that was the game at Minnesota. Nobody thought we would do squat in that game. The days following the game I heard a lot of people say "Wow, I didn't expect that at all out of the Bison...those guys are going to make some noise in a year or two" or "Man, I have to get to a game this year to see those kids play" I haven't seen excitement about our BBallers like that since Billeter was here.

Nobody likes a beating, however I think the potential to generate interest in SU outweighs that. Especially if a beat down to a 1A school has absolutely no bearing on any playoff implications...

And who knows what Gopher team is going to show up on any given afternoon...we could maybe even put a scare into them for a half like the Bison men did to their basketball team. (Anything could happen)

Gamehunter
01-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Comparing basketball and football regaurding competativeness is not all that fair. It is much easier to compete against an upper division team in basketball than a sport such as football. Just think what a team like USC would do to any I-AA. Minnesota is no USC, no way, I'm not even trying to compare the two and it's an insult to put them in the same sentence. But I guess my point is that I think the Bison will be able to compete with the Gophers in '07, at least match their physical intensity and keep the game respectively close at the bare minimum. However, I just don't want the Bison to turn into a Colorado State of 2005, or worse. A few key injuries here and there along the defensive line or other positions that still lack some depth in a big game such as this could really put the hurt on for the remainder of the season. That could make recruiting season all that much longer. I don't believe that would properly promote Bison football or point the program in the right direction. On the other hand, the Gophers have alot of question marks for next season and may be looking at some rebuilding. This could benefit the Bison if they do agree on an '06 game.

At what point does the game become worth while or not worth while? If we lose by more than 40 points will that be acceptable to most Bison fans? The good thing is there is always a chance for upset. I would have heavily bet against Davis upsetting Stanford, yet it happened.

IH8daSioux
01-17-2006, 01:25 AM
I agree with ORYGUN bison...

We are pissing around with I AA and can't even find a conference...

are we missing something?? Boise ST... HELLO?!?

LETS TELL MINNESOTA..

Ok we will play in 06.. if you give us a 5 year guaranteee.. with 1 game in FARGODOME in 2010 .. when NDSU announces the move to IA in football..

Gophers played in front of 21,000 AT Louisana Lafeyette!!

Play Minnesota, Ball State, Iowa St, Boise St, Fresno St, Hawaii,Montana, Montana St, ..... etc. etc etc..

LETS GO DIVISION 1A... baby..

SDbison
01-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Good post Herd Mentality! From his last post its sounds like X-Factor is reconsidering. Again, I just don't get it, we have a chance to play Minnesota again and instead of being thankful and taking them up on the opportunity there is all this mumbo jumbo. Just think about this:
1) How much better are the Bison going to be in '07 versus '06? They could be worse?
2) High probability the Bison would lose both games by a significant score. So they lose by 36 in '06 and 27 in '07. Is it too much to lose twice to a good DI-A program.
3) I believe Gene's vision is to eventually move the football program to I-A. Lets get to know the competition now.
4) Where are the facts that say DI-AA's that play DI-A teams have more injuries?
5) NDSU can use the additional $300,000 for all sorts of improvements during the transition to D1.
6) Do we have to take a perspective like the yahoos to the north...."Let's not play until it is on our terms"?
7) It is all about exposure. Do you think SDSU wishes they had a chance to play Minnesota in football?

OrygunBison
01-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Let's not forget, the Gophers are in need of a favor. It's the first one they've asked of us. We'll need their assistance in the long haul. I'd hate for them to remember our denial 5 years from now if we're having trouble with our own schedule. It's a small DI world...

MinotBison
01-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Let's not forget, the Gophers are in need of a favor. *It's the first one they've asked of us. *We'll need their assistance in the long haul. *I'd hate for them to remember our denial 5 years from now if we're having trouble with our own schedule. *It's a small DI world...

Point well taken, and I can't help but think that eventually something vis-a-vis NDSU and the Gophers in '06 will get done.

Could we use the money? Of course, and obviously Gene knows that. But I also think that he has done a splendid job of pointing the athletic department in the right direction, and if he says that maybe we are not quite ready, then I will respect that.

It would be interesting to hear from the players what a game like this would mean to them.

NDSUstudent
01-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Let's not forget, the Gophers are in need of a favor. *It's the first one they've asked of us. *We'll need their assistance in the long haul. *I'd hate for them to remember our denial 5 years from now if we're having trouble with our own schedule. *It's a small DI world...

If we do them a favor they should probably do us one. It isn't NDSU's job to help the Gophers out whenever they need it. We are taking a bigger risk in playing them in 06 and thus we should get some just compensation. So really in my mind if they were to agree to send their mens basketball team down to Fargo in either of the next two upcoming seasons then I may be more willing to play them. I don't really care if they give us more money because getting the Gopher mens basketball team in Fargo is worth a lot more then an extra 50 or 100 grand to me. Also if we play the Gophers we will also proabably play another DII team to balance out the schedule and make sure that there are 6 home games. So for everyone wanting the Gophers on the schedule in 06, would you still want them if we had to play another DII school?

Gamehunter
01-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Good post Herd Mentality! From his last post its sounds like X-Factor is reconsidering. Again, I just don't get it, we have a chance to play Minnesota again and instead of being thankful and taking them up on the opportunity there is all this mumbo jumbo. Just think about this:
1) How much better are the Bison going to be in '07 versus '06? They could be worse?
2) High probability the Bison would lose both games by a significant score. So they lose by 36 in '06 and 27 in '07. Is it too much to lose twice to a good DI-A program.
3) I believe Gene's vision is to eventually move the football program to I-A. Lets get to know the competition now.
4) Where are the facts that say DI-AA's that play DI-A teams have more injuries?
5) NDSU can use the additional $300,000 for all sorts of improvements during the transition to D1.
6) Do we have to take a perspective like the yahoos to the north...."Let's not play until it is on our terms"?
7) It is all about exposure. Do you think SDSU wishes they had a chance to play Minnesota in football?

1) My optimism thinks it will be a noticeable difference. I think Frick, Dahl, White is going to be the biggest loss(albiet, that is ALOT right there), but not much if any dropoff elsewhere and many redshirts that are now seeing playing time.

2) Fair estimates, however I would hope the '07 game is closer.

3) Probably, but I would like to see a few NC's before that happens because it will most likely be the last.

4) No facts I know of, but most BCS I-A teams simply have more athletic/physical players. They get the cream of the crop. If you can't match that intensity that is how injuries occur. Remember Valpo?...."another injured valpo player on the field".

5) ~300,000 + 150,000 = ~450,000 from garrantee money in only one year. Not to bad if you ask me.

6) Not sure that I care about the yahoos up North.

7) I don't think SDSU's football program is on the same level as the Bison so I'm not so sure that it matters what they would do. A better question would be, "Would they play the Gophers on back to back years and have 2 DI-A's in the same season?". If Nagy was coach, the answer would probably be YES>

Gamehunter
01-17-2006, 03:04 AM
If we do them a favor they should probably do us one. It isn't NDSU's job to help the Gophers out whenever they need it. We are taking a bigger risk in playing them in 06 and thus we should get some just compensation. So really in my mind if they were to agree to send their mens basketball team down to Fargo in either of the next two upcoming seasons then I may be more willing to play them. I don't really care if they give us more money because getting the Gopher mens basketball team in Fargo is worth a lot more then an extra 50 or 100 grand to me. Also if we play the Gopher we will also proabably play another DII teams to balance out the schedule and make sure that there are 6 home games.

I like that idea of UM's BBall team coming to Fargo. How does Gene explain this all to coach Bohl however?

Gully
01-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Good discussion. I agree with Herd on this one. I was a little unsure at first but the more I think about it, they should take the game.

On the other hand, if they don't, I'm not going to complain about Bohl and Taylor. They're doing a great job either way.

On another note: Herd was actually spotted talking to a cute girl at Chub's Pub on Saturday.

roadwarrior
01-17-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm sure that whatever ends up happening, I will be there! The other thing that we don't know is if Gene is negotiating with any other teams for the Oct 21st date.

Rodentia
01-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Getting the Gophers' men's BB team to Fargo might be a tough sell - the Gophers only play about two BB games on the road each year in non-conference. But you might be able to get the Gophers to come up in other sports - women's BB, baseball, softball, volleyball or soccer.

If you could get an agreement to play a men's BB game in Fargo, maybe not in the next couple years, but in the future year-to-be-named later, that might be something. Also, solidifying the Gopher/Bison BB game as an every-year event would be a plus.

TransAmBison
01-17-2006, 12:31 PM
3) *I believe Gene's vision is to eventually move the football program to I-A. *
I haven't talked with Gene on the subject so I can't say what he's thinking, but I don't think moving our football program will ever happen. This was a big step and we have been very successful. Now people are thinking we can do anything. I don't think this is Gene's vision.

Herd_Mentality
01-17-2006, 03:23 PM
On another note: *Herd was actually spotted talking to a cute girl at Chub's Pub on Saturday.

Guilty.

Think about posting Gene's response to your email?

SDbison
01-17-2006, 06:07 PM
I haven't talked with Gene on the subject so I can't say what he's thinking, but I don't think moving our football program will ever happen. *This was a big step and we have been very successful. *Now people are thinking we can do anything. *I don't think this is Gene's vision.
I may be wrong, but I remember a press conference in last year or so where there was a comment from Gene and / or Craig that said one day a move to DI-A may be considered. Of course there was no timetable.

mikelsch
01-17-2006, 08:56 PM
If the WAC was ever in expansion mode, I wouldn't be surprised if NDSU put out some feelers. Any other current I-A conference is probably not feasable because of location and stature.

Paulie
01-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Need a new stadium first *18K is great but not compared to places like Fresneck State, Hawai'i, etc. *

Esquire
01-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Probably already has been stated, but if NDSU is going to turn down $300,000 guaranteed money, please don't come asking me for money again next December again to fund scholarships because NDSU didn't meet their goals. $300,000 funds 30 scholarships.

Gully
01-18-2006, 01:44 AM
I emailed Gene about this. I'll try to paraphrase his response:

It's not as simple as has been stated in the press. The Gophers have not officially offered the game and NDSU has not turned them down. There have been discussions and the 2006 game could still happen if both teams continue to struggle filling out schedules.

Apparently there is still some uncertainty on some of the rules on how the game would be counted for the Gophers since NDSU is DI-AA. I thought this had been clarified but apparently not.

He did confirm that the 2007 game with the Gophers will happen. It also sounded like some other games (3) are in the discussion stage, hopefully with 2 at home.

Also, he didn't say this but if my memory is correct, the Gophers can still change the date for the 2007 game.

BisonBacker
01-18-2006, 03:45 AM
Probably already has been stated, but if NDSU is going to turn down $300,000 guaranteed money, please don't come asking me for money again next December again to fund scholarships because NDSU didn't meet their goals. *$300,000 funds 30 scholarships.
This is a point that should not be forgotten and is well taken. In refernce to the previous post to this even if all is not as it appears if in the end we schedule some DII patsie and could have had a game with the gophers in 06 many people may very well feel the same way as Esquire and who could argue with them. Its a hell of alot of money whether its 200 or 300K. Its not an easy road to travel no doubt but to be a leader you have to expect some tough times, I would much rather lose to a respected gopher football team than to see another UAM team come in to the dome and get throttled. As I and others have also pointed out, it doesn't look that good for NDSU if we have an opportunity not only to help out the gophers but also ourselves. I will trust that both Coach Bohl and Gene will do whats right but if that means not scheduling the gophers this next year then I certainly hope he's ready to explain it clearly and repeatedly to the fans and supporters who will still be asked to shell out the $$ to support the school.

IH8daSioux
01-18-2006, 04:52 AM
I called in and said something about "NDSU turning down GOPHERS for 06.... I really feel they should sit at the table and work on a long term contract..... heck, every year that metrodome will be filled instead of 28,000 bored fans vs louisana-monroe"

Sid said "ndsu doesn't want to take the beating. thats the bottom line... thank you"

Dave chimed in and said "definitely alot of NDSU alumni in twin cities area and fargo is 2-3 hour drive.... maybe they will make it work"

YES!!!!!!!>. DONT ASK ME FOR MONEY WHEN U CAN GET $300K + GATE <<< GET THE GATE GENE!!!

#2.. NO ONE answered me.... WHY CANT WE SAY "ok Minnesota..06 is a go... and of course 07 is booked, but give us 3 more years on that WITH 1/2 GATE..... and GOPHERS BBALL... MEN /WOMEN must come to Fargodome.."

thank you drive thru.

BisonBacker
01-18-2006, 04:58 AM
I called in and said something about "NDSU turning down GOPHERS for 06.... I really feel they should sit at the table and work on a long term contract..... *heck, every year that metrodome will be filled instead of 28,000 bored fans vs louisana-monroe"

Sid said "ndsu doesn't want to take the beating. thats the bottom line... thank you"

Dave chimed in and said "definitely alot of NDSU alumni in twin cities area and fargo is 2-3 hour drive.... maybe they will make it work"

YES!!!!!!!>. DONT ASK ME FOR MONEY WHEN U CAN GET $300K + GATE <<< GET THE GATE GENE!!!

#2.. *NO ONE answered me.... *WHY CANT WE SAY "ok Minnesota..06 is a go... and of course 07 is booked, but give us 3 more years on that WITH 1/2 GATE..... and GOPHERS BBALL... MEN /WOMEN must come to Fargodome.."

thank you drive thru.

You gotta remember the source of your first comment "Sid" Senility has a way of worming its way into every comment he makes. He is an embarrasement still being on the air. I no longer listen to his dribble, the only dribble he should be allowed is into a paper cup in the rest home.

Rodentia
01-19-2006, 01:22 AM
#2.. NO ONE answered me.... WHY CANT WE SAY "ok Minnesota..06 is a go... and of course 07 is booked, but give us 3 more years on that WITH 1/2 GATE..... and GOPHERS BBALL... MEN /WOMEN must come to Fargodome...

You can say that. The question is whether or not it would be effective. Minnesota isn't that desperate for a game that they will give in to a whole laundry list of demands.

I do think you could get the Gopher women to play in Fargo, the men would be trickier. I think the Gophers perhaps should play more than two non-conference games on the road, but that's not my call to make.

Making such demands publicly would not be a good idea.

mikelsch
01-19-2006, 01:33 AM
I've heard the Gopher women's bball team is playing in Fargo next season. Gopher men won't come here cuz there's a reasonable chance they would get beat. My how things have changed around NDSU (and Minnesota for that matter) regarding basketball.

basketballer
01-19-2006, 04:42 AM
I've heard the Gopher women's bball team is playing in Fargo next season. Gopher men won't come here cuz there's a reasonable chance they would get beat. My how things have changed around NDSU (and Minnesota for that matter) regarding basketball.

Of course, if someone won't travel then its because they "could get beat", not because they don't care about going to Fargo. Where have I heard that argument before, oh thats right, thats what USD fans tell SDSU fans about a football game. "SDSU won't come because they could get beat". In both cases, it has nothing to do with getting beat, and more to do with a school trying to generate an image. I'm sure if NDSU won't play UND in minneapolis it will be because "NDSU thinks they are going to lose".

Yellow
01-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Interesting look at it but i agree, i dont think that the gopher men are too worried about getting beat in fargo, even though it is a possibility. I agree that its going to take a while for the gopher mens team to come to fargo. It will have to maybe be a 3 in 1 deal or maybe more. When or if they ever come ill be the guy in the front row

Yellow
01-19-2006, 04:51 AM
I should edit my last post in saying that it would be a long shot at beating the gophers football team, i had my mind set on the bball team since i am watching them right now

MN_BISONS
01-19-2006, 04:55 AM
*I'm sure if NDSU won't play UND in minneapolis it will be because "NDSU thinks they are going to lose". *

Why would two ND schools 72 miles apart from each other play a game in Minneapolis? That makes no sense regardless of what division the two schools happen to be in. Maybe if UND would do NDSU a favor in scheduling a game could be worked out in el Forko Grande, but we all know how much they tried to help the Bison in the past. Remember the four year deal good ol' Rog wouldn't sign with two games at each school........NDSU owes UND nothing.

Yellow
01-19-2006, 05:10 AM
++++

Gamehunter
01-19-2006, 05:23 AM
Interesting look at it but i agree, i dont think that the gopher men are too worried about getting beat in fargo, even though it is a possibility. I agree that its going to take a while for the gopher mens team to come to fargo. It will have to maybe be a 3 in 1 deal or maybe more. When or if they ever come ill be the guy in the front row

To my knowledge NDSU still has a home game next year with Kansas State. Why can't a similar deal be struck with the Gophers?

Yellow
01-19-2006, 05:42 AM
That is true, kstate does come to the bsa. I hope a deal does get struck with the mens bball team, but i was talking about the football team and accidently said bball.

basketballer
01-19-2006, 07:11 AM
To my knowledge NDSU still has a home game next year with Kansas State. Why can't a similar deal be struck with the Gophers?

Kstate won't be making those deals anymore, after the coach is fired, the bison got VERY lucky with that game. For reference, SDSU signed a four for nothing agreement with the gophers, so I doubt you see them in Fargo anytime soon either.

BisonBacker
01-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I think its hilarious that so many people continue to say it will never happen. *It certainly isnt the rule but larger schools will travel to play smaller schools at times for differeint reasons, some may have to do with scheduling some may not. *I just think people like basketballer who are overly negative when commenting on the Bison are very short sighted. *If it happens great if not I'm sure Gene will negotiate the best deal he can for the Bison. *I just hope that basketballer never tries to start a career as a motivational speaker, he couldn't get a 18 year old college freshman excited at a whore house.

SDbison
01-19-2006, 03:50 PM
I think its hilarious that so many people continue to say it will never happen. *It certainly isnt the rule but larger schools will travel to play smaller schools at times for differeint reasons, some may have to do with scheduling some may not. *I just think people like basketballer who are overly negative when commenting on the Bison are very short sighted. *If it happens great if not I'm sure Gene will negotiate the best deal he can for the Bison. *I just hope that basketballer never tries to start a career as a motivational speaker, he couldn't get a 18 year old college freshman excited at a whore house.
I think basketballer is hilarious. ::)

NDSUstudent
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Word over at AGS is that Montana recieved a gaurantee of $600,000 to travel to Iowa and play the Hawkeyes next season. If we do play the Gophers next year maybe Taylor can use that for some leverage in a deal with Minnesota.

IowaBison
01-19-2006, 05:36 PM
The Hawkeyes aren't the Gophers.

(Of course, how many Griz fans are going to be at Kinnick?)

NDSUstudent
01-19-2006, 05:50 PM
The Hawkeyes aren't the Gophers.

(Of course, how many Griz fans are going to be at Kinnick?)

I know the Hawkeyes aren't the Gophers but Iowa doesn't have a problem with selling tickets. There is no other IAA school that will bring more fans to the MetroDome then NDSU will. I don't think NDSU should get 600k but maybe Taylor could get a chunk of the gate like he wanted before or since the Gophers are so cheap maybe a deal to bring the Gopher mens basketball team down to Fargo could be worked out.

Gamehunter
01-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Kstate won't be making those deals anymore, after the coach is fired, the bison got VERY lucky with that game. For reference, SDSU signed a four for nothing agreement with the gophers, so I doubt you see them in Fargo anytime soon either.

Just because SDSU can't sign deals like that doens't mean you have to downplay the deal we have with KState. Regaurding to how NDSU signs teams, I seriously couldn't care less what SDSU does: that is their problem and has no bearing on what happens in Fargo.

Bisonguy
01-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Word over at AGS is that Montana recieved a gaurantee of $600,000 to travel to Iowa and play the Hawkeyes next season. If we do play the Gophers next year maybe Taylor can use that for some leverage in a deal with Minnesota.

I'd like to see the actual contract. Griz fans are known for making numbers a little larger than they actually are. By the time the game comes around, they will probably state that there was a clause in the contract that they had to lose the game, but could have beat Iowa if they tried.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Why do you guys want to play the gophers so bad?

I know were not playoff eligible right now so it wouldn't matter, but Montana State University did not make the playoffs this year because they lost to OSU.

After we become playoff eligible, playing teams like the gophes and other big programs can do more harm then good.

sambini
01-21-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't see any problem with playing one ia school a year. It helps pay the bills.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-21-2006, 08:06 PM
I don't see any problem with playing one ia school a year. It helps pay the bills.
I couldn't agree more. If you lose the game that is still only one loss and does not in itself eliminate you from the playoffs. The upside to playing one game per year against a 1-A (payout and possible huge win) far out weigh the downside (potential loss).

coloradobison
01-21-2006, 10:10 PM
from they way it sounds, despite the attraction of $$, coach bohl wants to go into the metrodome with the mentality that his team will walk out of there with a win and nothing less, and doesnt want to to go this year because his team is not ready.

Gamehunter
01-21-2006, 11:03 PM

That's why I am mostly against scheduling this game, unless NDSU has its way with the remaining 2 unfilled dates(IE home games). We already have Ball State next year @ $150,000 a clip. Let these guys grow up a little more before we start (if ever) playing TWO I-A's in the SAME season.

Bison_Kent
01-22-2006, 03:28 AM
One thing that might help for next year is the game would be in late October. The team would have six or seven games under their belt before this having to play in Minneapolis.

I agree that once the Bison are playoff eligible that only one I-A team should be played but it wouldn't be that bad next year to play two--one that is a I-A and a half and the other a full I-A.

SDbison
01-22-2006, 03:45 AM
One thing that might help for next year is the game would be in late October. *The team would have six or seven games under their belt before this having to play in Minneapolis. *

I agree that once the Bison are playoff eligible that only one I-A team should be played but it wouldn't be that bad next year to play two--one that is a I-A and a half and the other a full I-A.

I agree. Good Points Bison_Kent

SDbison
01-22-2006, 03:55 AM
That's why I am mostly against scheduling this game, unless NDSU has its way with the remaining 2 unfilled dates(IE home games). *We already have Ball State next year @ $150,000 a clip. *Let these guys grow up a little more before we start (if ever) playing TWO I-A's in the SAME season.
For comparison purposes Ball State is closer to a good I-AA team than a Big Ten team. * Since NDSU is non-playoff elligible in 2006 I don't think it is a big deal. *Only concern I have is Bohl must really think there is a letdown in playable talent next year. *Kind of a blow to the teams confidence I would think. *JUCO transfers must not be working out as planned. *At least Tim Miles didn't say "gee, all I have is these redshirt freshman so we shouldn't play both Kansas State and Wisconsin this year!" *If any way possible get some better recruits to commit to NDSU and accept the 2006 game with Minnesota! *I hope it works out. * *

roadwarrior
01-22-2006, 03:55 AM
The two weeks following the october 21st date are already road trips. Do we want 3 games in a row on the road?

SDbison
01-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Geez Road, I would think that would make your day!

sambini
01-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Road it would be a short trip for you. +++ How was Madison?

BisBison
01-22-2006, 03:33 PM
from they way it sounds, despite the attraction of $$, coach bohl wants to go into the metrodome with the mentality that his team will walk out of there with a win and nothing less, and doesnt want to to go this year because his team is not ready. *
And I for one think he has earned the right to do this if that is what he thinks is in the best long term interest for his team. One step at a time, let's get after Ball State next year and then take on the Gophers when coach Bohl thinks we're ready.

SDbison
01-22-2006, 05:13 PM
I find it interesting that Gene said he was interested in the game but Craig was reluctant. Why would this information be shared with the public? Maybe they are just working on getting the best deal before accepting the offer. Maybe even setting up Minnesota to take the Bison as patsy. In reality, as a DI-AA team NDSU will never be good enough to play and beat DI-A Minnesota except maybe once in a hundred games. So why play the game at all. Think about this all you naysayers, those who believe the Bison are too weak at this moment, we might get whipped and we really don't need the money. Enter into a contract for two years with revised terms and what happens if NDSU plays Minnesota within a couple touchdowns in 2006. Think of the build up for the 2007 game? Yes, most likely the Bison would be soundly beaten in both games but I would rather go to the Metrodome and watch the Bison play a big name team and lose than go to the Fargodome to beat up an NAIA, DII or low level DI-AA team. Some of you continue to think small.

SDbison
01-22-2006, 05:25 PM
And I for one think he has earned the right to do this if that is what he thinks is in the best long term interest for his team. One step at a time, let's get after Ball State next year and then take on the Gophers when coach Bohl thinks we're ready.
So has anyone on this board actually heard coach Bohl himself say, or be quoted saying, the Bison are not ready? *As an example, I am sure coach Miles would have liked to play Wisconsin a couple years later when those 4 freshman had a couple more years development and experience, but he jumped on the chance to play them this year. *Next year NDSU may get a chance to play an even bigger name team and they will most likely lose big, but then maybe...... *

insane_ponderer
01-22-2006, 05:49 PM
i agree...i mean there is no shame in losing to the gophers.

The best we could hope for is playing it close and avoid injuries.

The guarenteed money, a potential win, and media exposure are just gravy.

tcbison
01-25-2006, 10:52 PM
I think with all the media attention the basketball team is currently getting gives even more reasons for scheduling this game. Everyone in the Twin Cities have been talking about the Bison from North Dakota State.

Imagine if Coach Miles passed on scheduling Wisconsin because he didn't think they were ready(or whatever the reason would be). NDSU wouldn't be getting all this national attention. Kudos to Coach Miles for taking on this challenge. Now let's get this game with the Gophers on the 2006 schedule.

mikelsch
01-26-2006, 01:10 AM
If NDSU finds 2 more quality home I-AA games, and the October date is still open for Minnesota and NDSU, then the 2006 has a decent chance of happening.

Gamehunter
01-26-2006, 01:37 AM
So has anyone on this board actually heard coach Bohl himself say, or be quoted saying, the Bison are not ready? As an example, I am sure coach Miles would have liked to play Wisconsin a couple years later when those 4 freshman had a couple more years development and experience, but he jumped on the chance to play them this year. Next year NDSU may get a chance to play an even bigger name team and they will most likely lose big, but then maybe......

Actually, YES.

Bison reject Gophers in ’06

Jeff Kolpack

NDSU head coach Craig Bohl said the players his staff recruited for the Division I transition need more time to mature.

“We’re just a little bit a away,” Bohl said. “Football is a game of maturity and strength and I think we need more time.”

Keep in mind, playing (and actually beating) a Big 10 basketball team and a Big 10 football team are two completely different matters. Football is alot more physical sport, and as Bohl pointed out, the football team is still quite young relatively speaking.

IH8daSioux
01-26-2006, 02:41 AM
THIS WISCONSIN WIN.. makes this MINNESOTA 06 game a NO BRAINER!!!

It doesn't matter if we lose by 40 points!!

NDSU is the TALK of the TWIN CITIES!!

STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!

I talked to gene taylor b4 IDAHO GAME and he said "we are still negotiating.. and said .. oh NO i forgot to call Maturi back today"

ha ha.. I said "remember .. dont ask me for my $500 again if you turn down $300 K!.. and LOOK at the WISC media blitz!!! SEIZE THE MOMENT!!"

Cmon people .. put the HEAT ON GENE!!! get $350, $400 K.... from minnesota OR 1/2 the gate.. PERIOD

NDSUstudent
01-26-2006, 05:09 AM
From Sid Hartman's column

Indications are that when the 2006 football schedule is completed the Gophers will face Kent State at Canton, Ohio, on Aug. 31, Temple here on Sept. 16 and North Dakota State on Oct. 21. North Dakota State backed out of a previous commitment but negotiations have since resumed. ...

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/205850.html

bisongold
01-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Wow.

kchats
01-26-2006, 05:24 AM
Gene always said he was still talking with Minnesota. He indicated that Coach Bohl had said he didn't think the team was quite ready to play them but he didn't say the game was definitely not going to happen. If the money is right it is hard to turn them down even if your coach says they aren't ready.

SDbison
01-26-2006, 06:16 AM
NDSU would be crazy to turn Minnesota down in '06. I think the whole thing was a ploy to get more $$. What little better prepared the '07 team might be is insignificant. It is possible that the '07 team without Steffes and White could be worse than the '06 team. So Gene will get a better deal, and over 10,000 NDSU fans will turn out for each game. There is no game at the Fargodome that could be better than playing the Gophers 200 miles away. I also think some recruiting will be secured during the next week due to scheduling an '06 Gopher game.

Gully
01-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I sure hope this is true. I'll be tailgating at 6AM for this one.

BisonMav
01-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Until I see it from someone else, I ain't believing it.
Sid has a personal translator for his writing for his stories, so let's hope it's accurate. (I am not kidding he does have a translator)

markerman
01-26-2006, 01:02 PM
I guess it's not surprising that Sid didn't mention one lick about the NDSU/Wisconsing game in this, his first column since the Bison win...

Bisonfan1
01-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I sure hope this is true. *I'll be tailgating at 6AM for this one.

Me also, probably 6AM the day before the game !!

Gully
01-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Until I see it from someone else, I ain't believing it.
Sid has a personal translator for his writing for his stories, so let's hope it's accurate. *(I am not kidding he does have a translator)

Good point, I agree it's still speculation at this point. I do put some validity to it though because Sid is very well connected with all his "close personal friends".

BisonBacker
01-26-2006, 04:18 PM
I have no repsect for Sid Hartmann anymore so until I hear it or see it from NDSU and Gene Taylor or Coach Bohl I'll put about as much stock into that as I will the INDY 500 being move to the Racetrack in West Fargo ;)

roadwarrior
01-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Sid says we backed out of a previous commitment??? Yeah right. So believe what you want to believe of what he writes.

BisonBacker
01-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Sid says we backed out of a previous commitment??? *Yeah right. *So believe what you want to believe of what he writes.
Yeah I noticed that too and had to laugh. They need to take away sids computer at the nursing home.

WYOBISONMAN
01-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah I noticed that too and had to laugh. *They need to take away sids computer at the nursing home.

Being a healthcare administrator I can tell you that nursing home residents have rights.....so, unfortunately, Sid will probably get to keep his PC..... ;)

Gamehunter
01-26-2006, 09:47 PM
NDSU would be crazy to turn Minnesota down in '06. I think the whole thing was a ploy to get more $$. What little better prepared the '07 team might be is insignificant. It is possible that the '07 team without Steffes and White could be worse than the '06 team. So Gene will get a better deal, and over 10,000 NDSU fans will turn out for each game. There is no game at the Fargodome that could be better than playing the Gophers 200 miles away. I also think some recruiting will be secured during the next week due to scheduling an '06 Gopher game.

Don't forget to throw Justin Frick and Craig Dahl in there with Steffes and White for the major impact seniors gone after the '06 season. Barring some major letdown/injuries the '07 team should be noticeably better than '06 IMO. There are some seriously talented guys that will be just starting to see some playing time this fall and next.

DIBISON
01-27-2006, 12:50 AM
WDAY6 Sports reported tonight the Gene Taylor met with the Gophers athletic department today in the Cities about scheduling. Gene was quoted as saying that he still wishes to honor Coach Bohl's request not to play the Gophers until 2007. However, Gene said that if the pickings are still slim for other opponents in a few weeks, he may have to schedule the Gopher game for 10/21/06.

Thats the latest, so the game may still happen!!

Gully
01-27-2006, 01:02 AM
I hope they play it, I know Bohl knows his team better than anyone but it doesn't matter if they lose, even if they lost by a big margin. They should play the game. Who knows, maybe we can keep it close? Then we'll have something to build on for 07.

BisonBacker
01-27-2006, 03:04 AM
I really think it's going to happen and I don't think they are holding out for $$$ as it won't change in a few weeks I don't think but I do think they could somehow push for a 3 for 1 deal or something and still try to get the gophers up here for one game. *Like it has already been pointed out they played down in La last year in front of less then 20,000 so who knows. *We can hope and dream anyway.

DIBISON
01-27-2006, 03:15 AM
At least we'll know the decision fairly soon based on Gene saying within a few weeks!!

Trimmy
01-27-2006, 04:10 AM
You know when you can,
and I think you can,
I am.

BisBison
01-27-2006, 04:18 AM
You know when you can,
and I think you can,
I am.
what the hell is that all about ??? ??? ???

coloradobison
01-27-2006, 07:17 AM
what the hell is that all about ??? ??? ???
i agree

RedRiver
01-27-2006, 02:07 PM
WDAY6 Sports reported tonight the Gene Taylor met with the Gophers athletic department today in the Cities about scheduling. *Gene was quoted as saying that he still wishes to honor Coach Bohl's request not to play the Gophers until 2007. *However, Gene said that if the pickings are still slim for other opponents in a few weeks, he may have to schedule the Gopher game for 10/21/06.

Thats the latest, so the game may still happen!!

Sounds like if the Bison cannot schedule a quality DIAA opponent for that date, we will be playing the Gophers two years in a row!!

scottheck
01-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Chatted with Gene last night at the Alumni event before women's bb game. He would like to fill the other home dates before scheduling the Gophers for this year. Right now, he's only got 4 home games scheduled and that is his greater concern. Sounds like Maturi is still anxious...

Gully
01-27-2006, 02:40 PM
You know when you can,
and I think you can,
I am.

You're either on to something or you're on something.

tcbison
01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Keep in mind we have played the Gopher in every sport expect football so far. If we want people in this area to know about Bison football, then we need schedule this game.
Wasn't it two years ago when Illinois State only lost to the Gophers by 2 touchdowns? Illinois State is an average I-AA team. NDSU is an above average I-AA team.

BisonBacker
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
You can't judge a team by what they did two years ago :-/

BisonBryce
01-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Keep in mind we have played the Gopher in every sport expect football so far. If we want people in this area to know about Bison football, then we need schedule this game.
Wasn't it two years ago when Illinois State only lost to the Gophers by 2 touchdowns? Illinois State is an average I-AA team. NDSU is an above average I-AA team.

Southern Illinois gave the gophers a run for their money in recent history. They were tied at the half 14-14 if my questionable memory recalls.

tcbison
01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
It was Illinois State. The Gophers finished the season at 7-5 that year which is the same record they finished at this year. Illinois State finished that year at 4-7. Final score was 37-21 Gophers. It was tied at halftime.

Bison_Kent
01-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Yes, getting two more I-AA games is concerning me so I think the Minnesota game might happen out of necessity. One of the proposed I-AA teams (Furman) that WDAY said announced their schedule without NDSU being added.

Here is Furman's schedule:

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75623

WYOBISONMAN
01-27-2006, 08:23 PM
That's too bad, I was looking forward to a Furman game.

gwendel
01-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Notice how many of those eastern schools don't like to travel very far. *:(

I guess they don't have to with all the colleges there are back east.

And if they're not budgeted for it...

sambini
01-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Thank goodness Rocky has the balls to come back to FARGO next fall and play the BISON. We should pack the place.

BisonBacker
01-28-2006, 11:47 PM
++++++++++++

DIBISON
01-29-2006, 06:27 AM
Interesting comments in the Bison Media Blog about the Gophers "squeezing" the Bison for the 2006 game and a possible strain in the relationship if it doesn't happen.

Bison_Kent
01-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Another one of the proposed I-AA teams (Portland State) that WDAY said earlier to be a NDSU opponent announced their schedule without NDSU being added.

Here is Portland State's schedule:

http://www.goviks.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2028

TheBisonator
01-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Another one of the proposed I-AA teams (Portland State) that WDAY said earlier to be a NDSU opponent announced their schedule without NDSU being added. *

Here is Portland State's schedule:

http://www.goviks.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=2028

Now I really think we're gonna be playing the Gophers.

NDSUstudent
01-30-2006, 11:49 PM
I agree it is looking more and more likely. And with two IA's on the schedule their will probably be two D2's as well. I know USD is looking for a game and it seems like they want to play a IAA school maybe we should give them a call. With the GWFC only having 5 members really puts NDSU in a bind scheduling wise and I don't think it's going to get better with a lot of IAA's now playing 2 IA's a year. If we get into the Mid-Con I hope the Gateway comes calling because unless the GWFC gets more members it's just not going to cut it.

Gamehunter
01-31-2006, 01:38 AM
WKU just might make a void in the Gateway sometime in the near future, one in which the Bison could easily fill.

IH8daSioux
01-31-2006, 02:35 AM
GET ER DONE!!

what are we waiting for!!

with the WISCONSIN BUZZ... starting to slide away...... lets MAKE THE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

KEEP the TWIN CITIES recruits & fan base a reason to ride the WAVE of the BISON"S BIG WIN!

CMON GENE!! DAMMIT!!

DONT ASK ME FOR MONEY WHEN U CAN HAVE $300 K!!

WYOBISONMAN
01-31-2006, 04:02 AM
GET ER DONE!!

what are we waiting for!!

with the WISCONSIN BUZZ... starting to slide away...... lets MAKE THE ANNOUNCEMENT!!

KEEP the TWIN CITIES recruits & fan base a reason to ride the WAVE of the BISON"S BIG WIN!

CMON GENE!! DAMMIT!!

DONT ASK ME FOR MONEY WHEN U CAN HAVE $300 K!!

I am sure Gene knows how to play his cards....and maybe even get us more that 300K....He and Bohl will do what is right for NDSU in the long run....and that is what is important....

MinotBison
01-31-2006, 04:45 AM
I am sure Gene knows how to play his cards....and maybe even get us more that 300K....He and Bohl will do what is right for NDSU in the long run....and that is what is important....

The operative words are...long run.

NDSUstudent
01-31-2006, 06:05 AM
Here is an update from the Bison Media Blog from Steve Hallstom.

To clarify...

Spoke with Gene Taylor today about the rumblings I had heard about the U of M putting the squeeze on NDSU to commit to a 2006 football game and got a different story.

Gene is adamant that there is no power play or intimidation here, just some good natured ribbing between himself and an old friend, Marc Ryan, the asst. AD at Minn that he's been working with.

Also this note, the 2007 game is contracted for 275K, but Gene thinks there's a chance that he could get more for the 06 game and possibly a small bump for the 07 if he agrees to go this fall. He has 4 homes and 4 roads, and is optimistic that something will happen with another road and another home. He still very much wants to honor Bohl's request not to play the game.

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

Mr_Meanor
01-31-2006, 09:12 PM
I don't think NDSU should play the Gopher's next year. They are not ready and need next year to even have a chance against the gophers and thats a very very slim chance at the best. PLaying them next year would just hurt the program. We need to look at whats best for NDSU in the long run and thats not playing the gophers before they are ready for such a big challenge. I am glad to see that Bohl has his priorities stright and doesn't want to send the boys into a game which they are not ready for. I think it would be great to get the big payday but its not worth it in the long run.

silkamilkamonico
01-31-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't think NDSU should play the Gopher's next year. *They are not ready and need next year to even have a chance against the gophers and thats a very very slim chance at the best. *PLaying them next year would just hurt the program. *We need to look at whats best for NDSU in the long run and thats not playing the gophers before they are ready for such a big challenge. *I am glad to see that Bohl has his priorities stright and doesn't want to send the boys into a game which they are not ready for. *I think it would be great to get the big payday but its not worth it in the long run.

I agree to a degree.

I don't think it will hurt the program terribly, but NDSU will not be able to compete with them, and worst case scenario is we get blown out and the recruitis in the area will see there is a significant difference between the 2 levels, much like D1-AA and D2.

I think I heard Bohl doesn't want to play them yet, and if that's true I would assume it's something along the same reasoning of why he doesn't.

Please NDSU, don't be a money hungry university a tthe expense of remaining competitive. It's not worth it in the long run.

SDbison
02-01-2006, 12:14 AM
*They are not ready and need next year to even have a chance against the gophers and thats a very very slim chance at the best. *PLaying them next year would just hurt the program. *
I tend to disagree. *No matter what year you pick NDSU will virtually have no chance of winning. *There is also a possibility that the relative strengths of the two teams may be closer in '06 than in '07. *If Bohl is really that worried about the quality of the players for next year than there is more to be concerned about than just the Minnesota game. *I hope NDSU ends up *playing the game in '06 as there is more upside than downside, in "my opinion". *I also think more fans want the game than don't and my guess is the players would feel the same too.
Also, please explain with facts, unless it is your opinion only, how playing the gophers in '06 hurts the program. With that logic playing the Gophers in'07 also hurts the program. * *

Gully
02-01-2006, 03:37 AM
I tend to disagree. *No matter what year you pick NDSU will virtually have no chance of winning. *There is also a possibility that the relative strengths of the two teams may be closer in '06 than in '07. *If Bohl is really that worried about the quality of the players for next year than there is more to be concerned about than just the Minnesota game. *I hope NDSU ends up *playing the game in '06 as there is more upside than downside, in "my opinion". *I also think more fans want the game than don't and my guess is the players would feel the same too.
Also, please explain with facts, unless it is your opinion only, how playing the gophers in '06 hurts the program. *With that logic playing the Gophers in'07 also hurts the program. * *

You're right on SDBison. I know there are some valid arguments against playing in 2006. In my opinion, however, these are outweighed by the benefits. I think it's all be hashed and rehashed and the majority agree that we should play.

Mr_Meanor
02-01-2006, 06:43 AM
If you are not going to field a competitive team its not worth it. I do not think the bison would stand a chance next year...but the year after they should be much better suited for the challange. Next years the team will still have the players they were recruiting when they were a DII school. If they wait until 2007 the newer recruiting classes will have another year under there belt. I think coach Bohl knows what he is doing and knows when his team is ready to take on a big step like that. I don't think he want to bring them down there when he knows they can't compete. It would be much better to wait until 2007 and put up a respectable performance to show that we can compeate with higher level schools instead of getting embarrassed in 2006.

Mr_Meanor
02-01-2006, 06:44 AM
You're right on SDBison. *I know there are some valid arguments against playing in 2006. *In my opinion, however, these are outweighed by the benefits. *I think it's all be hashed and rehashed and the majority agree that we should play.

Besides the big pay check what are the benefits?

Gully
02-01-2006, 12:01 PM
Besides the big pay check what are the benefits?

Media exposure and a game close to many alums who are potential doners. It will also make our players better from having the experience. It will also be a plus for recruiting.

Mr Meanor-I agree we probably don't have a chance, but that doesn't matter to this fan.

Yes, there is a real chance we could get routed. So what? There is no downside to a game that no one expects you to win.

Like Herd Mentality has said, what if we're even competitive and show some flashes? Can you imagine the excitement, especially after the BB win at WI?

Gully
02-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Also, we could just as easily get blown out in 2007 as 2006 so to me, if you are arguing not to play them in 2006 you should say the same about 2007.

Kermit_clone
02-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Media exposure and a game close to many alums who are potential doners. *It will also make our players better from having the experience. *It will also be a plus for recruiting.

Mr Meanor-I agree we probably don't have a chance, but that doesn't matter to this fan.

Yes, there is a real chance we could get routed. *So what? *There is no downside to a game that no one expects you to win.

Like Herd Mentality has said, what if we're even competitive and show some flashes? *Can you imagine the excitement, especially after the BB win at WI?

Football is not basketball. A thrashing in basketball may be hard on the ego. A thrashing in football is likely to result in injuries that irreparably damage a season. Huge upsets are also less likely in a sport where you have to field 22 starters, not 5. I'm not saying the Bison would get thrashed, only that there is a potential downside.

Kermit_clone
02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Also, we could just as easily get blown out in 2007 as 2006 so to me, if you are arguing not to play them in 2006 you should say the same about 2007.

Disclaimer: I'm a UND alum and lifelong Sioux fan, but I've also become a big Bison football fan. We do exist. ;D

You may be right, but I've got to go with Coach Bohl's judgment on this one. If he believes that the Bison will be much more ready in '07, that is likely the case.

IowaBison
02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
A thrashing in football is likely to result in injuries that irreparably damage a season.

Or end a student-athlete's career.

SDbison
02-01-2006, 03:26 PM
Or end a student-athlete's career.

That can happen in any game due to a fluke injury or a player not giving 100%. *This is not boys playing men or superheroes. *I do believe that all are very good football players and there may be more exceptionally good ones at Minnesota. * The biggest difference between NDSU and Minnesota would be team speed. *That is not going to change much between '06 an '07. * Is there data you guys have that says playing one division up causes more injuries? *Find it and your arguement is justified. *I just believe there is more upside to this than downside to the fans, players, school, media coverage, recruiting, etc. *If Bohl says no in the end I will respect that, but then I will be worried that this may be a 6-5 year for the Bison at best. * *

coloradobison
02-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Who are you counting as the 5 losses??

Granted, any game can go either way, but i think we have a good chance of winning all the current games on the schedule. granted, we have had trouble with Cal Poly recently, and Ball State is a I-A school, but they are nothing special. SFA might also be a good test. But it could just as easily be a 9-2 year as a 6-5 year.

Mr_Meanor
02-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Thats where I disagree with you...Coach bohl has said he thinks they could compete with them in 2007. And has said they probably cannot compete with them in 2006. I think he know his team much better than you do and know what is best for his team.

IowaBison
02-01-2006, 04:04 PM
That can happen in any game due to a fluke injury or a player not giving 100%. *This is not boys playing men or superheroes. *I do believe that all are very good football players and there may be more exceptionally good ones at Minnesota. * The biggest difference between NDSU and Minnesota would be team speed. *That is not going to change much between '06 an '07. * Is there data you guys have that says playing one division up causes more injuries? *Find it and your arguement is justified. *I just believe there is more upside to this than downside to the fans, players, school, media coverage, recruiting, etc. *If Bohl says no in the end I will respect that, but then I will be worried that this may be a 6-5 year for the Bison at best. * *

Remember Valpo?

Mr_Meanor
02-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Media exposure and a game close to many alums who are potential doners. *It will also make our players better from having the experience. *It will also be a plus for recruiting.

Yes, there is a real chance we could get routed. *So what? *There is no downside to a game that no one expects you to win.

Like Herd Mentality has said, what if we're even competitive and show some flashes? *Can you imagine the excitement, especially after the BB win at WI?

I guess we will never agree on this topic. To me there is no upside in geting blown out. I don't know why you would want publicity like that. Negitive publicity is never good and it would hurt recruiting. I don't think just because they play the gophers that will help recruiting. In order for it to help they are going to need to be competive with them. Also if they get beat like 80-10 it would just bring the moral down for the rest of the year and into next year. It will prove to the team that they can't compete with the big dogs.

Mr_Meanor
02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
There are so many fan that just get greedy when it come to who we play...they don't realize we need to take are time and make a good transition. You just don't go from being DII to playing DI over night...it takes time and we all just need to be patient and before we know it we will be watching the the Bison play the gophers

SDbison
02-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Remember Valpo?

Your point is? As for scholarships:
Valpo 0
NDSU 63 (NDSU was at something like 52 at the time of the Valpo game)
U of M 85
NDSU is a lot closer to Minnesota than Valpo is to NDSU.

I don't believe in the theory that there are more injuries if IAA plays IA. Need a report to prove that.

Again, I do believe Bohl will do what he feels is best, but if NDSU is so far behind to not be able to compete in mid-season '06 then there must be some significant personnel concerns. What does that mean for the key I-AA games?

SDbison
02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
There are so many fan that just get greedy when it come to who we play...they don't realize we need to take are time and make a good transition. You just don't go from being DII to playing DI over night...it takes time and we all just need to be patient and before we know it we will be watching the the Bison play the gophers
Yeah, I am greedy. I want NDSU to play the best.

MN_BISONS
02-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I am greedy. *I want NDSU to play the best. *

Shouldn't the Bison be playing Texas in that case and not the Gophers? ;D

IowaBison
02-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Your point is? * As for scholarships:
Valpo 0
NDSU 63 (NDSU was at something like 52 at the time of the Valpo game)
U of M 85
NDSU is a lot closer to Minnesota than Valpo is to NDSU.

I don't believe in the theory that there are more injuries if IAA plays IA. *Need a report to prove that.

Again, I do believe Bohl will do what he feels is best, but if NDSU is so far behind to not be able to compete in mid-season '06 then there must be some significant personnel concerns. *What does that mean for the key I-AA games? *

I think my point is obvious.

Need a report, that's funny.

SDbison
02-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Shouldn't the Bison be playing Texas in that case and not the Gophers? *;D

Someday? ;)

BraxtonT
02-01-2006, 06:46 PM
At the present time, I'm neither for or against this game for 2006.

My questions are?

When UC-Davis played at (and beat) Stanford last season, did they suffer a lot of injuries?

Am I off base in this analogy?

NDSU::UC-Davis as Minnesota::Stanford

Bison and Aggies both in 3rd year of transition, Gophers and Cardinal established Big Ten and Pac-10 schools.

When comparing the Gophers to the Cardinal, is the U of M that much better a program now than Stanford was last year?

mikelsch
02-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Well stated Braxton T.

Because of the scheduling difficulties for both NDSU and Minnesota, I would be surprised if the game didn't happen.

Gamehunter
02-01-2006, 07:35 PM
At the present time, I'm neither for or against this game for 2006.

My questions are?

When UC-Davis played at (and beat) Stanford last season, did they suffer a lot of injuries?

Am I off base in this analogy?

NDSU::UC-Davis as Minnesota::Stanford

Bison and Aggies both in 3rd year of transition, Gophers and Cardinal established Big Ten and Pac-10 schools.

When comparing the Gophers to the Cardinal, is the U of M that much better a program now than Stanford was last year?

UCD suffered quite a few injuries as a direct result of the Stanford game. I don't know the exact number, but it had a very noticeable impact on their season.

DenverBison05
02-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Actually, last year was just a plain bad year for UCD as far as injuries were concerned. THey were losing key players before the Stanford game, and if I remeber correctly the Cal Poly game hurt them more than the Stanford game did as far as injuries were concerned.

silkamilkamonico
02-01-2006, 09:35 PM
I honestly don't know how much of an impact these big games are for exposure as far as the alumni's and donations are concerned, but if the chance happens where we compete with the Gophers, they become more hyped about the program and it benefits the donations from them like people are saying.

COuld it also work the other way where say if the Bison get completely blown out some might see that are level jumping is a mistake and either not donate or discontinue the donations?

I'm more worried about the recruits. If they see the significant difference if we do get blown out (which is more likely scenario), the will see us and the D1-A level like the in coming recruits are saying they want to play D1 over a place like UND because of the competition level.

Gamehunter
02-01-2006, 10:10 PM
I honestly don't know how much of an impact these big games are for exposure as far as the alumni's and donations are concerned, but if the chance happens where we compete with the Gophers, they become more hyped about the program and it benefits the donations from them like people are saying.

COuld it also work the other way where say if the Bison get completely blown out some might see that are level jumping is a mistake and either not donate or discontinue the donations?

I'm more worried about the recruits. If they see the significant difference if we do get blown out (which is more likely scenario), the will see us and the D1-A level like the in coming recruits are saying they want to play D1 over a place like UND because of the competition level.

I was thinking along the same lines.

Bisonguy
02-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Hallstrom put Bohl on the spot about the Gophers tonight on the 6:00 sports (well, it could have been staged, oh well)-

Anyhow, Bohl stated that they were working on home games first, then they'll look at filing out the rest of the schedule.

Coachdags
02-04-2006, 06:37 AM
This Just In... The Gophers also Approached UND for the Open Date on October 21.....
UND Turns Down Oppurtunity...Not a Good fit in Middle of Season Schedule..When trying to Make Playoffs..
Very Interesting... Look for Media Story in Near Future..

Gamehunter
02-04-2006, 07:00 AM
This Just In... The Gophers also Approached UND for the Open Date on October 21.....
UND Turns Down Oppurtunity...Not a Good fit in Middle of Season Schedule..When trying to Make Playoffs..
Very Interesting... Look for Media Story in Near Future..

LMAO

that is hillarious!

;D

scottheck
02-04-2006, 05:56 PM
http://www.startribune.com/512/story/225700.html

It would appear that '06 might be the perfect year to play the Gofes. From this article, the program appears to be in dire straights...

silkamilkamonico
02-04-2006, 08:12 PM

It would appear that '06 might be the perfect year to play the Gofes. *From this article, the program appears to be in dire straights...

That hurts their program, and they will definetely be down next year, even considering they are only an average Big10 team year in and year out.

I still don't think NDSU would stand much of a chance if any to even play with them. Aside from their lack of skill players, they would dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and it would just snowball from there.

JACKGUYII
02-04-2006, 08:59 PM
If you get beat soundly it's expected! If you play them close or knock off the Gophers can you imagine the dividends in terms of recruiting,donations etc. I think the injury thing is there no matter who your playing. Is there proportionately more injuries when a DIAA plays a DIA team? I doubt it! It's not like throwing the 3rd graders in with the 9th graders! Bison are probably as big at most positions as the Gophers and as fast in some of the positions.

SDbison
02-04-2006, 11:16 PM

It would appear that '06 might be the perfect year to play the Gofes. *From this article, the program appears to be in dire straights...
This backs up all I have been saying about why NDSU should schedule the Gophers in '06. The more NDSU plays I-A's the closer the Bison will be to getting there. Maybe its ten plus years away, but that is where I ultimately see the program, in I-A, not I-AA.

SDbison
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
If you get beat soundly it's expected! If you play them close or knock off the Gophers can you imagine the dividends in terms of recruiting,donations etc. I think the injury thing is there no matter who your playing. Is there proportionately more injuries when a DIAA plays a DIA team? I doubt it! It's not like throwing the 3rd graders in with the 9th graders! Bison are probably as big at most positions as the Gophers and as fast in some of the positions. *
Thanks JACKGUYII, this is exactly what I have been saying. I know if SDSU was in a scholarship position to be playing the Gophers they would jump at the chance. Seems there are some NDSU fans who have UNDitus. That is the fear of playing a nearby team that is one classification higher. Another symptom of the disease is a desire to hold off on scheduling until optimum team conditions are met. Just play the damn game! Better athletes don't always translate into winning outcomes. Regardless, NDSU has some outstanding athletes, excellent coaches, top notch facilities and great tradition in their favor. I would rather travel 250 miles to Minneapolis to see the Bison play and get beat by the Big Ten Gophers in front of 50,000 fans than travel 250 miles to Fargo to see the Bison blowout a NAIA or DII team in front of 12,000 fans.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 01:10 AM
Thanks JACKGUYII, this is exactly what I have been saying. *I know if SDSU was in a scholarship position to be playing the Gophers they would jump at the chance. *Seems there are some NDSU fans who have UNDitus. *That is the fear of playing a nearby team that is one classification higher. *Another symptom of the disease is a desire to hold off on scheduling until optimum team conditions are met. *Just play the damn game! *Better athletes don't always translate into winning outcomes. *Regardless, NDSU has some outstanding athletes, excellent coaches, top notch facilities and great tradition in their favor. *I would rather travel 250 miles to Minneapolis to see the Bison play and get beat by the Big Ten Gophers in front of 50,000 fans than travel 250 miles to Fargo to see the Bison blowout a NAIA or DII team in front of 12,000 fans. * * * *

Ok I see.

Hopefully it doesn't go the other way though.

We get blown out by an inferior Big 10 team and alumni don't see any reason to donate, or even stop donating because of the significant difference in talent.

Or recruits really see the difference in talent and we lose potential recruits we get now because they would rather walk on or go someplace that plays D1A. As far as i'm concerned, there's no difference in that then what's going on right now between some of the recruits that have chosen NDSU over UND.

IH8daSioux
02-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Ok.. im convinced. that GENE/BOHL are being whimps..... there is NO reason why THIS GAME ISNT SCHEDULED RIGHT NOW!!

With all the PUB nationally from the WISC bball game.. IMAGINE a FBALL victory at Minnesota!!

I DONT EXPECT THAT... but for real... LETS DO THIS>. im sick of the wait.. I've emailed GENE. Ive talked to him face to face... told him I wasn't donatin in 06 if he turns down $300K for gophs game..

I tell you all to email gene!!!! and put some alumni pressure on him to get this done.

as for you fans that say "NOOOO" I say.... "dont be a sioux" dont be a chicken... lets have some BALLS and do this!!!!!

JACKGUYII
02-05-2006, 02:05 AM
Ok I see.

Hopefully it doesn't go the other way though. *

We get blown out by an inferior Big 10 team and alumni don't see any reason to donate, or even stop donating because of the significant difference in talent.

Or recruits really see the difference in talent and we lose potential recruits we get now because they would rather walk on or go someplace that plays D1A. As far as i'm concerned, there's no difference in that then what's going on right now between some of the recruits that have chosen NDSU over UND.

No such thing as an inferior Big 10 team. Your statement that alumni might stop donating because of a difference in talent is one of the dumbest reasons for not playing I have heard yet. You will get more respect from potential recruits by giving them an opportunity to play in the Metrodome in front of a big crowd.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:10 AM
No such thing as an inferior Big 10 team. Your statement that alumni might stop donating because of a difference in talent is one of the dumbest reasons for not playing I have heard yet. You will get more respect from potential recruits by giving them an opportunity to play in the Metrodome in front of a big crowd.

So tell me then, do the same people continue to donate over the years? *If that's the case, are we hoping they just give more to increase donations? *How do we get donations? *How do we not get donations? *Tell me how it works then? Maybe "difference of talent" was worded wrong. Maybe I should have said, "move to D1 is in over their heads"

We've already seen it with the top recruits in the state of ND, there's absolutely no reason why it can't work the same in this situation.

JACKGUYII
02-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Your getting in excess of 300k for one game with minimal
expenses and playing an opponent your not expected to win in a city that has more alumni than any part of the country. What is the problem. The Jacks would take this game in a heartbeat if we had the 57+ scholarships.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Great. The wonderful world or college football.

I'll gladly get my azz kicked if it nets me $300,000. Anything for money. It's a good thing we're not playoff eligible, because it can break a team's chances of getting into postseason play. See Montana State University Bozeman.

JACKGUYII
02-05-2006, 02:43 AM
Your right play an inferior team at home and get the easy win!

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:46 AM
Your right play an inferior team at home and get the easy win!

So now it's either a Big10 team like the gophers, or else inferior teams? Isn't there any other teams in D1AA?

DenverBison05
02-05-2006, 02:49 AM
Isn't there any other teams in D1AA?

Not many left with open dates anymore

scottheck
02-05-2006, 02:51 AM
So tell me then, do the same people continue to donate over the years? *If that's the case, are we hoping they just give more to increase donations? *How do we get donations? *How do we not get donations? *Tell me how it works then? *

Yes, the same people do give every year. The idea behind fundraising is to establish a relationship with a donor, then over a period of years, move them up the "giving pyramid". We start out giving $00s, then after several years $000s, finally the legacy gift includes commas. The million dollar gift is never a new donor.

It is very much a science with proven techniques and higher education degrees.

Bisonguy
02-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Ok.. im convinced. that GENE/BOHL *are being whimps..... there is NO reason why THIS GAME ISNT SCHEDULED RIGHT NOW!!

With all the PUB nationally from the WISC bball game.. IMAGINE a FBALL victory at Minnesota!!

I DONT EXPECT THAT... but for real... LETS DO THIS>. im sick of the wait.. I've emailed GENE. Ive talked to him face to face... told him I wasn't donatin in 06 if he turns down $300K for gophs game..

I tell you all to email gene!!!! and put some alumni pressure on him to get this done.

as for you fans that say "NOOOO" *I say.... "dont be a sioux" *dont be a chicken... lets have some BALLS and do this!!!!!

Yeah, no doubt!

I'm totally happy with having four games in the Fargodome for 2006!

It will be great for the program!

Let Gene finish the schedule, or at least get another home game. I would much rather have at least five home games than a game against the Gophers and only four home games (or five home games with another two against a DII). Taylor and Bohl have now both stated that if they finish scheduling the home games, they are open to playing the Gophers if there is still a corresponding open date.

Seriously, some of you need to lay off the Viagra, because you have some sort of Gopher boner complex going on. ::)

So, again, here's the plan:

Step 1) Finish scheduling home games

Step 2) If Minnesota and NDSU still have a common open date, schedule the game for 2006.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2006, 02:54 AM
So, again, here's the plan:

Step 1) Finish scheduling home games

Step 2) If Minnesota and NDSU still have a common open date, schedule the game for 2006.

I totally agree. *I don't want a sacrificed season because of one "money controlled" game.

IH8daSioux
02-05-2006, 03:05 AM
14 pages of bickering on this topic = meaningless??

15-20,000 NDSU fans in dome = Meaningless?

$300K in bank = meaningless???

NO... Concordia MN, valpo = meaningless!!!

ZERO dollars from angry alumni = meaningless!!

PLAY THE DAM GAME ALREADY!!! I would goto the METRODOME... I wont goto Fargodome vs a inferior team... PERIOD

Bisonguy
02-05-2006, 04:03 AM
Yeah, screw home games- who needs them?

It's not like NDSU is already paying to use the Fargodome for x number of days. ::)

11 road games for 2008!!(as long as they're all against I-A teams)

SDbison
02-05-2006, 03:09 PM
One more road game in 2006 would not be bad.
There are many people who drive from south and east of Fargo to attend games who would have just as far to drive to Minneapolis. Also, thousands of NDSU Alumni in Minneapolis who normally wouldn't drive to Fargo would go to a game at the Metrodome. Do some of you living in or close to Fargo ever think about people that have to drive a ways to see a game might not be thrilled at the prospect of spending the extra gas and lodging $$$ to see the Bison play CSP and possibly even two more games with lessor opponents? That will not increase season ticket sales and may even reduce the number sold. Hopefully, Gene and Craig will come up with worthy DI-AA foes for two more home games. My concern is if the two remaining home games go to NAIA / DII's, and the game against Minnesota is not scheduled, ticket sales and revenues will be significantly down. That is not a good thing either.

Bisonguy
02-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Hopefully, Gene and Craig will come up with worthy DI-AA foes for two more home games. *My concern is if the two remaining home games go to NAIA / DII's, and the game against Minnesota is not *scheduled, ticket sales and revenues will be significantly down. *That is not a good thing either. *

That's definitely not a good scenario. If lower division teams are the only options left for home games, I would hope that the Gopher game is scheduled.

roadwarrior
02-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Bottom line: as of today there are only THREE home games against I-AA teams. The first priority is to schedule more home games against I-AA teams. There are talks going on with other I-AA teams that have open dates. If we happen to land one of them as a home game on Oct 21st, that will be a higher priority than playing the Gophers on that date.

Bison_Kent
02-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I agree that NDSU needs six home dates and we know that one will be against a DII team in Concordia-St. Paul. That means NDSU needs two of the three open dates to be at home.

If it so happens that Oct. 21st is open and two other home games were gained, I would be for the Minnesota game next season. If not, than we will play Minnesota in 2007.

mikelsch
02-07-2006, 04:36 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=116883

Gophers release up-to-date 2006-2010 schedules. NDSU on for Oct 20, 2007; still open date for Oct 21, 2006.

Montana State at Gophers on Sept 13, 2008

tcbison
02-07-2006, 05:05 PM
It looks like Montana and Montana State are not afraid to play 1-A teams. This year Montana plays at Iowa and Montana State plays at Colorado.
I realize we need home games but if we can't get a home games the Gophers would be a great option for 2006. It sounds like Eastern Washington could be available this year. Anyone know if Northern Iowa is a possibility? Both those teams would be great to play especially if we can get them in the FargoDome.

JACKGUYII
02-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think Northern Iowa will be an option for the Bison for a few years. The Jacks were supposed to play them last year in Cedar Falls and they backed out to play Iowa on the road. The Jacks will play them at Cedar Falls in 2006 and the Panthers will come to Brookings in 2007.

Gamehunter
02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
It looks like Montana and Montana State are not afraid to play 1-A teams. This year Montana plays at Iowa and Montana State plays at Colorado.
I realize we need home games but if we can't get a home games the Gophers would be a great option for 2006. It sounds like Eastern Washington could be available this year. Anyone know if Northern Iowa is a possibility? Both those teams would be great to play especially if we can get them in the FargoDome.

I'm not sure what kind of a point your trying to make, but NDSU isn't afraid to schedule 1A either. Ball State in '06 and Minnesota in '07. The difference is that Montana and Montana State are in a conference and have more home games than we do already set in stone on their schedule. Getting home games within the division is a higher priority than adding a SECOND 1A road game in the same season, especially being basically an independent like the Bison are.

SDbison
02-08-2006, 01:35 AM
Bottom line: *as of today there are only THREE home games against I-AA teams. *The first priority is to schedule more home games against I-AA teams. *There are talks going on with other I-AA teams that have open dates. *If we happen to land one of them as a home game on Oct 21st, that will be a higher priority than playing the Gophers on that date.
Sounds like several of the good I-AA possibilties have recently fallen by the wayside. Even though tough, a game against Minnesota is not as much of an "away game" as almost any other away game NDSU will schedule. Anyone have a list of the remaining I-AA possibilities to play NDSU at home? Seems there was a website where teams listed their open dates and indicated if they would consider an away game. Please Gene, don't schedule another DII or NAIA team to fill the home dates.

Bison_Kent
02-08-2006, 02:41 AM
There are actually two websites for open dates. Of course, not every team lists there openings on these sites.

http://www.afca.com/lev1.cfm/43

http://www.footballscoop.com/open.htm

kchats
02-08-2006, 03:02 AM
North Dakota State University:

Open Dates
2005: 9/3, 10/15, 11/19
2006: 9/2, 9/16, 9/30, 10/7, 10/14
2007: 9/1, 9/22, 9/29, 10/6, 10/13
We are looking for a home and home series or home guarantees with I-AA
Phone: 701-231-8985
E-mail: gene.taylor@ndsu.nodak.edu

Liberty University (DIAA):

9/9
9/30
10/7
10/14
10/21
11/18

9/1
9/8
9/15
9/22
9/29
10/6
10/13
10/27 *

Need a I-A guarantee game and a D-II game each year.

Mickey Guridy, Assistant AD for Football Operations
(434) 582-2047 maguridy@liberty.edu

Northwestern State U. of LA (IAA): *

Interested in:
Division I A, away for a guarantee
Division IAA, home or away
Division II, home---will pay good guarantee

2006 (Home or Away)

September 2, 2006
September 9, 2006
September 23, 2006
November 4, 2006

2007 (Home or Away)

September 8, 2007
September 22, 2007
September 29, 2007
November 3, 2007

Donnie Cox
Associate Director of Athletics
318-357-6298
coxd@nsula.edu

Saint Francis University (PA) (IAA):

September 2, 2006 -Away (Guarantee)

DARNEL RICHARDSON
(814) 472 -2755
E-MAIL drichardson@francis.edu

Bison7925
02-12-2006, 06:09 PM
According to Sidiot Hartman in todays Trib.

The reason the game between the Bison and Gophers is being held up is that NDSU head coach Dale Lennon thinks his team will be more ready for the 2007 game which he has already agreed to play ::) ::) ::) ::)

I've always said Sid never met a fact he couldn't change ::)

BisonBacker
02-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Once again Sid the Idiot has proven he no longer should be on any media outlet be it radio, tv or newsprint. His time has long past. Sid has escaped the guys in the white coats so far but I'm not sure how he's done it. His rantings have proven he belongs in the rest home not behind the microphone.

Gully
02-12-2006, 07:11 PM
According to Sidiot Hartman in todays Trib.

The reason the game between the Bison and Gophers is being held up is that NDSU head coach Dale Lennon thinks his team will be more ready for the 2007 game which he has already agreed to play ::) ::) ::) ::)

I've always said Sid never met a fact he couldn't change ::)

Well that's interesting. I have my paper copy of today's Strib in front of me and it say Craig Bohl. Are you looking at the on-line version?

BisonCountry
02-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Well that's interesting. I have my paper copy of today's Strib in front of me and it say Craig Bohl. Are you looking at the on-line version?

The on-line version says Dale Lennon.

sambini
02-12-2006, 10:30 PM
The TRIBUNE I bought this morning at STOP-N-GO says Dale LENNON.

Bisonguy
02-12-2006, 11:03 PM
The TRIBUNE I bought this morning at STOP-N-GO says Dale LENNON.

The Forum has at least three versions that are printed. I would think The Star Tribune has at least as many.

BisonBryce
02-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Does it matter that much if we are "ready" or not to face the gophers next year? I know we would have a better shot at being more competitive against them in 07 but I still think it is a huge win for our school to play them next season if we can.

Mr_Meanor
02-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Does it matter that much if we are "ready" or not to face the gophers next year? *I know we would have a better shot at being more competitive against them in 07 but I still think it is a huge win for our school to play them next season if we can.
In my opinion it would only be a huge plus if we can keep in competive...i think if we get blown out really bad( which will probably be the case) we have a good chance at losing some good recruits

JACKGUYII
02-14-2006, 10:21 PM
I think you will gain more recruits for playing a Big 10 school than you will lose by potentially getting blown out. What Minnesota kid wouldn't want a crack at the U who felt they were not good enough to play for them.

tcbison
02-14-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm with JackguyII on this one. I think it would help recruiting more than it woud hurt recruiting. Plus, it is a lot of name recognition and money for the progam. Also, when we are playoff eligible I think NDSU could get some Division IA tranfers as well. I don't think Montana losing to Oregon last year hurt their recruiting class this year. Actually, they get some of the best DI-A tranfers in DI-AA football. The downside is small but the upside is huge.
However, the problem remains that we need home games and that is where this whole thing will probably be decided.

silkamilkamonico
02-14-2006, 10:42 PM
I think you will gain more recruits for playing a Big 10 school than you will lose by potentially getting blown out. What Minnesota kid wouldn't want a crack at the U who felt they were not good enough to play for them.

I agree.

If they see that there IS a significant difference in talent we could possibly lose those recruits to Wyoming, Ball st., etc.

It will be UND-NDSU all over again.

1998braves64
08-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I didn't know that Sherwood and Berthhold were no more.
Berthold is technically still around they have cooped with plaza (lions) and makoti/ryder which was north shore (no idea what their respective mascots were) is it still bombers though I do not know.

Also Hunter Hornets and Dakota Warriors (hunter-Arthur).

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

bisonmike2
08-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Wow, zombie-thread resurrection. Almost 7 1/2 years old.

tjbison
08-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Berthold is technically still around they have cooped with plaza (lions) and makoti/ryder which was north shore (no idea what their respective mascots were) is it still bombers though I do not know.

Also Hunter Hornets and Dakota Warriors (hunter-Arthur).

how the hell did your quote end up in here??

1998braves64
08-20-2013, 05:03 PM
oops... wondering where that post went, must have deleted too much on the quoted material and got one of the numbers so that post was probably in this thread? I was on my phone.

tcbison
08-20-2013, 05:14 PM
oops... wondering where that post went, must have deleted too much on the quoted material and got one of the numbers so that post was probably in this thread? I was on my phone.

Ha ha. Talk about a tread drift! Once I posted in the Men's basketball forum and it ended up on the blog somehow.

tcbison
08-20-2013, 05:16 PM
I read through some of this thread. Curious as to why my old posts(tcbison) are listed as guest?

DePereBisonFan
08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Wow. Pretty cool reading the thread that led up to one of the more important games we played as DI - the game where we realized we could compete respectfully against BCS schools.

tony
08-20-2013, 07:15 PM
I read through some of this thread. Curious as to why my old posts(tcbison) are listed as guest?

I was wondering that myself. I bet it's fixable.

KSBisonFan
08-22-2013, 01:29 AM
This old thread revival makes me think that during next offseason we need to have a "Throwback Thread of the Week" just for something to bitch about other than gabe and portly rob.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-22-2013, 02:57 AM
This old thread revival makes me think that during next offseason we need to have a "Throwback Thread of the Week" just for something to bitch about other than gabe and portly rob.

Yeah, bring back the threads from '08 and especially '09.

That would make for some great entertainment. :hide:

1998braves64
08-22-2013, 03:34 AM
Wasn't it possible to post without a screen name at one point or was that just to access the one section?

No_Skill
08-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Just skimmed through this thread. Ih8dasioux has to be lakesbison, right?

HerdBot
08-23-2013, 12:33 AM
That hurts their program, and they will definetely be down next year, even considering they are only an average Big10 team year in and year out.

I still don't think NDSU would stand much of a chance if any to even play with them. Aside from their lack of skill players, they would dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and it would just snowball from there.

Have to admit thats kind of funny