PDA

View Full Version : DIVISION 1A MOVE

sambini
02-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Maybe its time to say the hell with 1aa and go to 1a? The MOUNTAN WEST and WAC are both looking for teams. Are other teams are traveling all over anyway to play. It seems that in 1aa there is no leagues that want us. Just ask those BIG SKY folks. So lets get this rolling and go for the gusto of 1a. The WAC would be great a trip to Hawaii every other year. What do you think. It was approved this morning at the saturday morning breakfast cluB at PETRO IRON SKILLET. Yes Bisonguy they are teammakers. ++++

silkamilkamonico
02-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I don't think NDSU wants to even go there.

We don't fill the attendance requirements of a D1 team, which has to be an average of at least 15000 a game, and it's not something NDSU wants to speculate that they think they could average if they made that move.

Maybe in time they will consider it, but NDSU should be start and stay away.

I would be all against it personally. Keep NDSU in a division where they actually settle the best team on the field, as opposed to preseason polls.

sambini
02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
What do you think BENNY BISON AND WILD BILL? Lets see your comments.

DenverBison05
02-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Since this isn't a pressing need, like moving out of D2 was, I would be against it if we weren't already accepted into a D-IA conference. But we do need a conference badly and if a D IA conference wants us then I would be all for it. Plus I wouldn't be suprised if we averaged more that 15K for attendance this year. We have cal poly, SDSU, and the return of Rocky all at home. No reason why our attendance wouldn't improve by a thousand this year.

kchats
02-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I am all for it if it gets all the teams in a conference sooner. *We already have a division I coach that could just upgrade the program a little bit more to take the Bison where they need to be. *Playing the Gophers every year wouldn't be as much of a problem if the Bison also had 85 scholarships. *I say talk to them and if they are interested we need to carry it through and see if we get invited. *We can't think small if we want to help all the programs without conference affiliation. *We would be traveling all over the place for a division I-AA conference anyway so why not go to IA and get into a conference. *

Attendance should also go up for I-A games. It has already improved for IAA over II so I'm sure it would get another bump going I-A.

Hey Sambini, is there an additional waiting period if we moved up from I-AA to I-A for the football team or is our transition a division I transition?

Bisonguy
02-11-2006, 08:50 PM
It was approved this morning at the saturday morning breakfast cluB at PETRO IRON SKILLET. Yes Bisonguy they are teammakers. ++++

Glad to see you supporting the businesses that support Bison Athletics!!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

HuskerFan
02-11-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm originally from Fargo....I have been following Bison football for the last few years, and was very excited to see NDSU make the move to D1aa. Coach Bohl has done a great job with the Bison, and hope you guys continue to have success. As for the move to D1a, I would love to see NDSU make that move, but I think it might be better for the Bison to stay in D1aa for a few more years, and if they continue to have success, and feel that it's time to jump to D1a, then I say go for it. As far as joining a D1a Conference, I would really like to see NDSU join the Big 12 North Division. I'd really like to see the Big 12 dump Baylor, have them move one of the Kansas teams to the South Division, and let NDSU move into the North Division. Another thing I would like to see happen....this doesn't have anything to do with football, but rather baseball. The Big 12 only has 10 teams in the Conference that play baseball, so I would love to see both NDSU & SDSU join the Big 12 in baseball. Maybe that is something your AD can look into, and contact the Big 12 Conference.

BisBison
02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Attendance should also go up for I-A games. *It has already improved for IAA over II so I'm sure it would get another bump going I-A.

Hey Sambini, is there an additional waiting period if we moved up from I-AA to I-A for the football team or is our transition a division I transition?

I may stand corrected, but I think division I is division I so no difference in the waiting period. But in football who cares about a waiting period anyway?? No playoffs to work for.

HuskerFan
02-11-2006, 09:23 PM
This is how I would like to see the Big 12 Conference...

North Division:

Nebraska
NDSU
Colorado
Iowa St
SDSU
Kansas St

South Division:

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Kansas

As far as Missouri and Baylor.....let Baylor move to Conference USA or WAC, and since there was talk in the past about Missouri moving to the Big 10...err 11....I say they can go there. Just my opinion

MplsBison
02-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I'd love to see NDSU in the MWC some day with Colordo State, Wyoming, etc. Montana could likely be there by then as well.

Esquire
02-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Sambini...your right on with this! I agree 100% and think the athletic administration is thinking the same thing.

OrygunBison
02-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Sambini, you are spot on. Bring it ON!!! Enuf with the Big Sky and Mid Con. In a couple/three years, the Bison could be a middle of the road WAC team in football.

As far as the Big12 goes, I don't think that we'd want to replace Baylor. Sure, the prestige of the conference would be a little higher but who'd want to be a doormat? Besides, then I'd have to start paying attention teams like Nebraska. Huck the Fuskers!!!

Okay, seriously, I don't think that the WAC is that big of a stretch. I'd think it would seriously help us expand our recruiting area with broad western exposure. And with 6 of the schools within 10-12 hours drive for me, I'd be able to make it to more games. Oh, yeah... and I suppose I could make it to Hawaii finally since I'd have some renewed motivation.

Who'd go to a Fresno State or Boise State game at the FargoDome? Someone tell me that we couldn't put butts in the seats...

Mr._Bill
02-11-2006, 09:36 PM
There are other implications of a 1A move such as 22 additional scholarships for both M and W and the expense that goes along with it. While I would be more excited about this if the transition was over, I don't like the fact that we don't currently have a conference. If an invite would be available, we need to give it strong consideration.

The ideal conference IMO would be 1) MVC/Gateway or 2) Big Sky. If the doors are closed on that, maybe the best 1A option should be considered.

BisonBacker
02-11-2006, 09:38 PM
I would love to hear Coach Bohl's comment's on a move to DIA as well as Gene's. I think it makes total sense. As far as attendance requirements I don't see any problem in football. Does Basketball have the same? If so one of the problems is definetly the BSA (but I won't digress into that argument). I have said it before on this board and will say it again. I think it will be just a matter of time before this move is made. It will however take a huge commitment on the part of teammakers and the supports of NDSU as the $$$ will go even higher in every aspect.

OrygunBison
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
"It will however take a huge commitment on the part of teammakers and the supports of NDSU as the $$$ will go even higher in every aspect."

I'd probably start ponying up if this were the case. Think of all of us alumni on the west coast. Between Cali, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho (no, Udaho), 2/3 of all alumni that don't stay within 300 miles of Fargo come out here. (Don't ask for stats - I really don't know what I'm talking about. It's just a guess.)

Think of the opportunity rather than the encumberances.

BisonBacker
02-11-2006, 09:55 PM
I'm completely for the move don't get me wrong. Just pointing out that the financial committment is going to be huge and you of all people should realize having lived here. Folks up here are tighter with the $$$ as is evident in the payrates in the this area. I know that the old cost of living argument is always thrown in but thats bunk and most people realize that. But this is getting off topic. I am 100% in favor of a move like that, all our other sports are already at that level why not let the football team make the move especially if as pointed out it gets us into a conference sooner.

Bison101
02-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Have you guys lost your marbles? NDSU in the Big XII? That is insane. First off, how are we better than Baylor? I know they are not the cream of the crop in the Big XII but they have an excellent baseball team and a recent national championship in Womens basketball. Sorry, but what would or could we ever offer the Big XII? Whew...you guys are scaring me! A more realistic long term goal would be to join the Big Sky, win at least one national championship in DIaa create some buzz and then go DI with Montana. But that is years away.

Our goal right now is simple. We want to be national champs in Football again. Don't take your eyes off the prize.

Luckylucky
02-12-2006, 12:18 AM

North Division:

Nebraska
NDSU
Colorado
Iowa St
SDSU
Kansas St

South Division:

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Kansas

As far as Missouri and Baylor.....let Baylor move to Conference USA or WAC, and since there was talk in the past about Missouri moving to the Big 10...err 11....I say they can go there. *Just my opinion

Hey Dude, what are you smoken? The Big Ten has no intention of taking in Missouri. Missouri has no intention of leaving the Big 12. Baylor is a much better athletic program than either NDSU or SDSU. And neither come close to meeting D1 attendance requirments.

D1 is a long, looong way off for NDSU.

BisonBacker
02-12-2006, 12:19 AM
I think we have a Troll infestation. ;D

OrygunBison
02-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Let me just say that to me, the Big 12 would be rediculous. I'm not sure why I'm even writing anything about it.

I also think that the WAC is not THAT far of a stretch. Oh yeah, and stretching is what we should be doing. Period.

Obviously, our future is IA. I think that the baby-step analogy just doesn't apply. Make the move to a conference. If the WAC were to come a-callin', who in their right mind would say no?

Do you think Craig and Gene read this?

ralph
02-12-2006, 01:45 AM
... D1 is a long, looong way off for NDSU.Yep, a couple years. Once you're fully D-I then moving from I-AA to I-A is a two year transition period.

Luckylucky
02-12-2006, 03:44 AM
Maybe testing the water a bit would be a good idea at this point. Make contact with Tulsa, SMU, TCU, UTEP, Boise State, Fresno State, Air Force, Colorado State; set up some 2 for 1 deals/2 away, 1 home deals with these schools over then next three to four years and see how it works out.

kchats
02-12-2006, 04:32 AM
We want to be in a conference for all of our sports long before 3 or 4 years. If they are the only conference that has an opening and they are interested in NDSU and SDSU joining I say join. A conference will be very helpful to all the sports teams that have no home. It isn't so much we want to move to division I-A right now that it might be the only way to find a conference home. The Big Sky has teased us twice and the Mid-Con doesn't appear to be in much of a hurry. If the Mountain West or WAC are actively seeking members and I was Gene I would be on the phone tomorrow setting up a meeting.

kchats
02-12-2006, 04:37 AM
Maybe its time to say the hell with 1aa *and go to 1a? The MOUNTAN WEST and WAC are both looking for teams. Are other teams are traveling all over anyway to play. It seems that in 1aa there is no leagues that want us. Just ask those BIG SKY folks. So lets get this rolling and go for the gusto of 1a. The WAC would be great a trip to Hawaii every other year. What do you think. It was approved this morning at the saturday morning breakfast cluB at PETRO IRON SKILLET. Yes Bisonguy they are teammakers. ++++

Sambini do you have the links to the stories that state they are actively seeking member institutions? I know Gene stated they would look at all division I conferences for membership and they both fit that profile. Has Team Makers informed Gene of their opinions?

dabearsrule
02-12-2006, 04:45 AM

North Division:

Nebraska
NDSU
Colorado
Iowa St
SDSU
Kansas St

South Division:

Texas
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
Kansas

NDSU and SDSU both joining the Big 12???
WOW :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I think the bunnies would have to improve on their 6,000 home attendance for football first.

SloStang
02-12-2006, 04:48 AM
I think the Bison have a great football program and they have a bright future in I-AA with the possibility of a National Championship somewhere in the future. I think going IA would be a mistake. You do not want to be Idaho. Would you rather watch a team that can win it all and usually win at least 8 games a year or a team that a 7-5 record is celebrated and 5-7 is more the norm. Just my opinion.

swaghook
02-12-2006, 04:49 AM
I think the Bison have a great football program and they have a bright future in I-AA with the possibility of a National Championship somewhere in the future. *I think going IA would be a mistake. *You do not want to be Idaho. *Would you rather watch a team that can win it all and usually win at least 8 games a year or a team that a 7-5 record is celebrated and 5-7 is more the norm. *Just my opinion.+++

BisonBacker
02-12-2006, 04:51 AM
The only disadvantage in my opinion to going DIA is that there is no playoff system. I'm not a fan of the bowl system in DIA. Other then that I don't see any disadvantage to DIA. If we don't have a conference in another 2 years and we had an offer for a IA conference I can't see us saying no.

SloStang
02-12-2006, 07:09 AM
The only disadvantage in my opinion to going DIA is that there is no playoff system. *I'm not a fan of the bowl system in DIA. *Other then that I don't see any disadvantage to DIA. *If we don't have a conference in another 2 years and we had an offer for a IA conference I can't see us saying no.
To be anything above a mid level mid major team you will have to have a stadium that holds more than 18,000 and you have to be able to fill consistantly. *IA is all about the money and a teams with 50,000 to 100,000 seat stadiums that most of the upper level IA teams have gives them a huge advantage over a team with a 18,000 seat stadium. *Fresno State complains that no large IA teams will come to Fresno because they "only" have a 40,000 seat stadium. *Iowa is paying Montana $650,000 to come to their stadium next year. *How much will NDSU be able to pay a team to come to Fargo. *How many big teams are going to come to a 18,000 seat stadium that is hard to get to in the winter. *Once again, you do not want to become Idaho.

In I-AA your stadium is one of the larger stadiums and certainly one of the better ones. *I say that the move to I-AA was a great move, but moving to IA would be a big mistake. *NDSU is building a program that will annually push for the playoffs and one that can do damage when they get there. *Besides I would miss playing the Bison each year.

IH8daSioux
02-12-2006, 04:04 PM
this is what Ive been sayin ALL ALONG!!

Division 1 A is the PRIZE.

Fargo needs to move into the 21st century... get outta this small town mentality!!

this is the NEW AGE.. LETS IMBRACE IT!!

Besides... expand the Fargodome.. hell BUY it from the city and RUN IT.. with better concerts, etc!!

Furthermore.. our BASEBALL situation is a GOLD MINE waiting.... that stadium is major division 1 ask the gophers!!!

Wrestling....Vball... easy to make divison 1

basketball... CLOSE.. VERY CLOSE!!!

If we are gonna be an above average Division 1AA school..... lets be a below average Divsion 1 team and enjoy the benefits and the BIG TIME SCHOOLS playing in fargo and on the ROAD..

SloStang
02-12-2006, 05:20 PM
All of NDSU sports are already IA. Football is the only sport with the I-AA sub-classification and NDSU is setting up to be a force in I-AA football.

swaghook
02-12-2006, 05:26 PM
NDSU is right where it belongs. NDSU and the this area is not big enough to support IA football in a fashion that would get NDSU anywhere in that division. As IAA NDSU can be a big fish in the IAA pond vs a guppy in IA. And to top it off I want to see our team play for championships on the field and not in press polls.

Bisonguy
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Step one: Cart
Step two: Horse

Hey, wait a minute........::)

It's interesting that NDSU hasn't even made the I-AA playoffs, let alone won a I-AA national championship, but yet there's already a "Let's move to I-A" club. Guess we've made the big time, just like Montana, Georgia Southern, and Appalachian State.

silkamilkamonico
02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Good grief, I do stand alone on this.

Only in Division 1-A football can a team in a major conference, also arguably the best conference out there in the world of college football, can go undfefeated the entire year, not lose 1 game, and not even have the oppurtunity to play for the national championship.

Sorry guys, but all ya'll are wrong imo. NDSU football in Division 1A would be nothing more then a team like San Jose State. Barely a blip on the radar of college football.

Division 1 AA, or what I'm really trying to say, PLAYOFFS, is where it's at.

swaghook
02-12-2006, 07:59 PM

No you are not alone there are a couple of us at least that do not want/see NDSU being IA in football any time in the forseeable future. Like Slostang mentioned only the teams that can support and fill the big stadiums of IA have sucess in IA. Fargo is many, many years away from having such a facility and being able to fill it with paying fans.

DenverBison05
02-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I have no problem with playing football in Div I-AA, but when it comes to the rest of our sports I want them to have a conference too. Is it fair to the Basketball teams not to have a conference? They will never be able to make the Tournament if they are not in a legitimate confrence, (I dont call what were entering into next year a conference). Is that fair to Ben, Nelson, Lucas, and Brent, when they enter there senior year to not have a shot at entering the tournamente because we don't have an auto-bid. So far all of the I-AA conferences have turned up their nose at us, so I say if a Div I-A conference comes calling we need to accept, not because of football, but for all of our other sports. We can't forget about them too.

silkamilkamonico
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
*So far all of the I-AA conferences have turned up their nose at us, so I say if a Div I-A conference comes calling we need to accept, not because of football, but for all of our other sports. *

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there are no Division 1 AA conferences in basketball.

MplsBison
02-12-2006, 09:27 PM
There was a time when NDSU decided that it wanted to move from DII to DI-AA.

Certainly, the time is not now to move from DI-AA to DI-A, but that time could come in the future.

We'll know when we're there just like we knew it was time to go DI-AA.

DenverBison05
02-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but there are no Division 1 AA conferences in basketball.

Yes, when I say Div I-AA conferences, I mean conferences that sponser football at the I-AA level and non football conferences.

sambini
02-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Hey Wild Bill and Benny Bison this thread has gotten things going . You guys were right.++++

Rodentia
02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
If going I-A gets the Bison into a conference, and if the resources are there for the extra scholarships, than I-A would make sense. I would it would result in greater attendance - the Bison would be playing I-A opponents at home. I would expect that the Bison would meet NCAA attendance requirements, but they would be towards the low end of I-A in attendance. It would add extra cost.

TransAmBison
02-13-2006, 01:25 AM

Only in Division 1-A football can a team in a major conference, also arguably the best conference out there in the world of college football, can go undfefeated the entire year, not lose 1 game, and not even have the oppurtunity to play for the national championship.

Sorry guys, but all ya'll are wrong imo. *NDSU football in Division 1A would be nothing more then a team like San Jose State. *Barely a blip on the radar of college football.

Division 1 AA, or what I'm really trying to say, PLAYOFFS, is where it's at.
I love the Bison being in DI-AA football. I think my interest would diminish greatly if they went to straing DI. Without playoffs it would be pointless to me.

sambini
02-13-2006, 03:20 AM
So what league do you see us playing in 1aa? The BIG SKY DOESN'T WANT US. Neither does the GATEWAY.

silkamilkamonico
02-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Any league that takes us at this point.

silkamilkamonico
02-13-2006, 03:24 AM
I love the Bison being in DI-AA football. *I think my interest would diminish greatly if they went to straing DI. *Without playoffs it would be pointless to me.

I totally agree.

In a switch going D1-A, our postseason dreams would turn from playoffs, to the almighty General Motors bowl bid or something to that nature, where the attendance is around 2000 or so to a "playoff" game.

sambini
02-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Which is? None seem to knocking on the door.

silkamilkamonico
02-13-2006, 03:28 AM
Which is? None seem to knocking on the door.

So the resolve is going to D1A? Did we already get an invite from the WAC or something?

OrygunBison
02-13-2006, 04:36 AM
I think that the lack of playoff in IA being the reason not to join is shortsighted. Give 'em one or two more rotations of the BCS and there will be playoffs in IA. There is currently much decent in the BCS rank and file.

As for the Bison competing at IA, I think you'd be nuts to say that we could be associated with the likes of Michigan, Tennessee or (gasp) Nebraska. But I'd be very content with a likeliness to Fresno State or Boise State. Those are teams that can play big against anyone in the country and win their own conference. The WAC would be a great fit for us in this regard.

Another (way more important) point is that waiting around for some IAA conference to take us in would be at the cost of the rest of the athletic programs at NDSU. Sure, the football team is having trouble getting up to 5 quality home games this year. Think of what the basketball teams have to do to fill out the home schedule.

If any conference comes a-knocking, the Bison should take it. Unless it's the NCC...

kchats
02-13-2006, 04:48 AM
I think Gene needs to look at any and all division I conferences. I-A or I-AA or division I conferences that don't sponsor football. The first conference that invites is the one the Bison should join. So far not much is happening with the Mid-Con or the Big Sky so why not talk to the WAC and Mountain West? Getting into a conference is the most important thing for the Bison athletic program as a whole and if it means moving to I-A in football so be it. Maybe those conferences will let the Bison join for all other sports for a couple of years and then add football later once the transition is complete for the other sports.

IH8daSioux
02-13-2006, 05:57 AM
I love the Bison being in DI-AA football. I think my interest would diminish greatly if they went to straing DI. Without playoffs it would be pointless to me. "

YEA ... PLAYIN IN THE WAC or OTHER conferences would be pointless..

are you KIDDING ME?!?! that would ROCK!!

why do you ALL continue to THINK SMALL!!!... then u BE SMALL!!!

LETS DO THIS!!!.. if WAC or someone in Division 1 a calls.. WE JUMP!!!!

Paulie
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Why stop with the Mountain West, I think the Big Ten is the right fit.

mojobison
02-13-2006, 05:04 PM
No need to be sarcastic. If NDSU gets an invitation to a DI-A conference, why not take it as long as it provides a home for basketball and most of other sports? Yes, it is very unlikely that this will happen. If DI-A and DI-AA combine, lots of odd things could happen.

dabearsrule
02-13-2006, 05:41 PM
In all honesty, and it is my opinion. I think you need to establish yourselves in the 1AA level before any d1a conferences come calling. Do you not think the Big 12 or even the WAC have other 1A teams that they might want to add. For instance, I think if the Big 12 were to expand and that's a big IF, I think it would invite Boise State or Colorado State before they take a chance on a 1AA program. This isn't smack at all but I think you guys should be realistic about this. NDSU might be a 1A school in maybe 10 years, but as an outsider I think you should keep your eyes on being a good 1AA program, win a couple titles, then possibly move up. Just as any 1AA program should, (UNC included).

Sac_State
02-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Why stop there? NDSU could join the NFL. Man you people are bored. Big 12 ???

MplsBison
02-13-2006, 05:51 PM
What about UAB and USF? I believe both went from I-AA to I-A very quickly.

silkamilkamonico
02-13-2006, 10:45 PM
why do you ALL continue to THINK SMALL!!!... then u BE SMALL!!!

LETS DO THIS!!!.. if WAC or someone in Division 1 a calls.. WE JUMP!!!!

Ain't nobody from Division 1A is calling anytime soon, so we don't even need to worry about this. Teams like Montana, Georgia Southersn , and other historied programs in Division 1 A will get a call LONG before NDSU is even thought of in that reguards.

To the one that said playoffs in D1A: There will NEVER be playoffs outside of 8-12, 16 deserving teams in the nation. *That gives NDSU virtually no chance ever of making any kind of a playoff system, even though they don't exist now as it is anyways.

And no, I probably would NOT be as supportive to the team as much as I would normally if they stayed in a Divsion where they would have a chance to be the best in it on any given year.

Teams in the WAC and *whatever are garbage gimme games (with the exception of maybe a program or 2) for the real Divsion 1A teams that actually have some kind of descent shot to win something throughout the year. I think NDSU is better then, "Hey, will give you guys $300,000 to come and let us beat your brains in, we need the win". NDSU can only hope to stay competitive with the major conference teams across the country, whether they are Division 1 A, or D1AA.

Sorry guys, but I just can't get too hyped about the dream birth in the motor city bowlgame or some other irrelevant bowl game that noone cares about.

silkamilkamonico
02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
In all honesty, and it is my opinion. *I think you need to establish yourselves in the 1AA level before any d1a conferences come calling. *Do you not think the Big 12 or even the WAC have other 1A teams *that they might want to add. *

That doesn't fly around here. We're NDSU! We beat Wisconsin in basketball. We won like 5 National Championships way back in the 1980's. We are on to bigger and better things like the Big 12. Heck the Big 12 wouldn't even be challening enough for us. Gene Taylor should be campaigning for us to get into the SEC because it's the best conference out there, and NDSU is one of the best.

::)

dabearsrule
02-13-2006, 11:06 PM
What about UAB and USF? I believe both went from I-AA to I-A very quickly.

And UAB and USF will probably never win a national championship in football

MplsBison
02-13-2006, 11:34 PM
And UAB and USF will probably never win a national championship in football

I can see UAB not winning as long as they're in the CUSA.

But all it would take for USF is a perfect season and they'd more or less be guaranteed a title game shot with the Big East tie in.

TransAmBison
02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
That doesn't fly around here. *We're NDSU! *We beat Wisconsin in basketball. *We won like 5 National Championships way back in the 1980's. *We are on to bigger and better things like the Big 12. *Heck the Big 12 wouldn't even be challening enough for us. *Gene Taylor should be campaigning for us to get into the SEC because it's the best conference out there, and NDSU is one of the best.

::)
There you go silk! I'm glad you aren't "thinking small" anymore!!!

sambini
02-14-2006, 12:59 AM
What about little TROY STATE who we lost to in 1984 title game. They are now 1a.

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 01:05 AM
What about little TROY STATE who we lost to in 1984 title game. They are now 1a.
Hey come on don't be bringing up legitimate examples that kills anyones argument ;)

sambini
02-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Why stop there? NDSU could join the NFL. Man you people are bored. Big 12 ???
Its been a long winter. But your AD doesn't want us in the BIG SKY. So why not the NFC north are former coach is with the BEARS. Maybe we can get in. But this thread has them talking.++++

IH8daSioux
02-14-2006, 02:21 AM
"Sorry guys, but I just can't get too hyped about the dream birth in the motor city bowlgame or some other irrelevant bowl game that noone cares about. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUIT SAYIN THIS!!! LIKE THE 1 AA CHAMPIONSHIP IS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT...its NOT.

FACE FACTS... NDSU will never be in a BOWL game.... .. but WE CAN STILL COMPETE with 1 A teams and play LEGIT TEAMS...

instead of 1 AA teams that most of us never heard of.. THAT SELLS TICKETS..

TransAmBison
02-14-2006, 03:12 AM
"Sorry guys, but I just can't get too hyped about the dream birth in the motor city bowlgame or some other irrelevant bowl game that noone cares about. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUIT SAYIN THIS!!! * LIKE THE 1 AA CHAMPIONSHIP IS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT...its NOT.

FACE FACTS... NDSU will never be in a BOWL game.... .. *but WE CAN STILL COMPETE with 1 A teams *and play LEGIT TEAMS...

You're acting like we've been in DI-AA for years and years now. We're not even out of the probationary period. Give me a break. We'll be playing legit teams. PATIENCE.

kchats
02-14-2006, 03:31 AM
Maybe some division I-AA teams will move out of conferences into the WAC or Mountain West and that will create a need for NDSU and SDSU. The only problem is one of the teams that might be targeted is Montana and if they leave the Big Sky for the WAC or Mountain West the Big Sky will be less appealing as well.

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 03:42 AM
Everyone keeps talking about the Big Sky but I just don't see anything happening there. Not until the west coast weaklings in the BSC are forced to play their hand one way or the other. The Commisioner of the BSC would need to push for NDSU and SDSU and the presidents and AD's would need to put pressure on the west coast bottom dwellers of the BSC and even then I don't know if anything would happen. I just can't get excited anymore over the BSC and any talk about our getting into that conference. I would think the Mid-Con is where we need to be focusing our efforts. We have been down the dead end BSC trail already. :-/

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 02:38 PM
I still think the Big Sky is easily our best option.

To be honest, I think their deal is that we're still in transition.

As soon as we come out of transition, I think the Sky will come calling.

Bisondad
02-14-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree that the Big Sky is the best spot for NDSU. I don't blame them for waiting to see how we do. What if NDSU sports would have fallen flat on their face. Would the Big Sky want us then? We have to prove ourselves first, which I think we are doing very well. I think the invite will come, and sooner than later. In my opinion, men's basketball will have had a huge impact on this decision. Imagine that!!

Sac_State
02-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Its been a long winter. But your AD *doesn't want us in the BIG SKY. So why not the NFC north *are former coach is with the BEARS. Maybe we can get in. But this thread has them talking.++++

AD Wanless has nothing to do with NDSU. The Presidents vote on all matters.

Charger
02-14-2006, 03:33 PM
IWhat if NDSU sports would have fallen flat on their face. *Would the Big Sky want us then?

They still took in UNC even though they have basically fallen flat on their face. I think that we will end up in the Big Sky in a couple of years. Some people want the Mid Con, but that conference is such a mess. As far as moving football up to IA, I don't think that is a real possibility at this time for NDSU or SDSU. Although if the MWC raids the WAC of one to three teams there are not many options for replacements in the west. That would take some huge fundraising though. Scholarships, Facilities, Salaries..................... I would rather wait and see what the future brings in I-AA.

JACKGUYII
02-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I agree that the Big Sky is the best spot for NDSU. *I don't blame them for waiting to see how we do. *What if NDSU sports would have fallen flat on their face. *Would the Big Sky want us then? *We have to prove ourselves first, which I think we are doing very well. *I think the invite will come, and sooner than later. *In my opinion, men's basketball will have had a huge impact on this decision. *Imagine that!!

The reason we are not in the Big Sky has absolutely nothing to do with present or future wins and losses. If anything I think there is a fear from the bottom feeders in the Big Sky about adding two new programs that look more like Montana and Montana State than themselves.

Bison_Dan
02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
AD Wanless has nothing to do with NDSU. The Presidents vote on all matters.

So you're saying that the AD has no input with the president?

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 05:09 PM
The reason we are not in the Big Sky has absolutely nothing to do with present or future wins and losses. If anything I think there is a fear from the bottom feeders in the Big Sky about adding two new programs that look more like Montana and Montana State than themselves.

Right on the mark with that comment. No offense meant to UNC but they are not setting the world on fire with the W's in any sports right now. I do however expect them to do better then sucks state in the BSC right away.

BisonBacker
02-14-2006, 05:10 PM
So you're saying that the AD has no input with the president?
The AD has tons of input, that comment was foolish.

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I couldn't see Pres. Chapman voting on something that Gene Taylor didn't approve of.

As far as UNC goes, they fit the profile of the last three schools added to the Big Sky. Either the Sky wanted the Denver market, or the fact that they are in the Denver market was enough for them to overlook UNCs shortcomings.

I think UNC will be fine once they get the scholarships and facilities in place. They won two DII national championships in football, correct?

I disagree with what JACKGUYII says and find that to be an overly cynical comment. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to the cynics of the BSC after what they've done (or more specifically, what they haven't done). But give it time. Wait until we're out of transition. I have no doubts that we're next on their expansion list.

NDSU, SDSU, and SUU in the Big Sky in 2008!

JACKGUYII
02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
I couldn't see Pres. Chapman voting on something that Gene Taylor didn't approve of.

As far as UNC goes, they fit the profile of the last three schools added to the Big Sky. Either the Sky wanted the Denver market, or the fact that they are in the Denver market was enough for them to overlook UNCs shortcomings.

I think UNC will be fine once they get the scholarships and facilities in place. They won two DII national championships in football, correct?

I disagree with what JACKGUYII says and find that to be an overly cynical comment. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to the cynics of the BSC after what they've done (or more specifically, what they haven't done). But give it time. Wait until we're out of transition. I have no doubts that we're next on their expansion list.

NDSU, SDSU, and SUU in the Big Sky in 2008!

What's cynical about the fact that the schools who are struggling the most financially, with attendence and on the field are the ones who don't want the State U's in the conference. The fact that they chose UNC tells you they have not learned from past mistakes and that is focusing on media markets rather than the schools themselves. I do think UNC is more viable than the Sac States and Portland States of the conference.

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm suspending judgements like yours until we're out of transition.

If we're not in the Big Sky in 2008, I'm with you.

JACKGUYII
02-14-2006, 10:18 PM
I have a feeling if we don't have an offer from the Big Sky by 2007 we will be somewhere else. I don't think this has anything to do with the fact we are in the transition period. The bottom feeders of the Big Sky are not interested in the added costs for teams traveling out to the Dakotas especially the non-revenue sports. The Big Sky will be kicking themselves if they let the State U's get away.

silkamilkamonico
02-14-2006, 10:53 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUIT SAYIN THIS!!! * LIKE THE 1 AA CHAMPIONSHIP IS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN THAT...its NOT.

FACE FACTS... NDSU will never be in a BOWL game.... .. *but WE CAN STILL COMPETE with 1 A teams *and play LEGIT TEAMS...

Are you serious?

SO you care more about selling tickets then having NDSU succeed in their sport.

"NDSU will never be in a bowl game".

So your idea of "bigger and better" is being small and insignificant in the world of D1A? Because like it or not, non bowl eligible teams in D1A year after year, are so small and insignificant that they pride their football program on playing teams like Tennessee for the payday, so they can save all that money on the recruits that don't want to go to their school in the first place.

Awesome!! Here's to below .500 records year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, after year, etc.

But hey, at least we get money!

And as far as teams like Middle Tenn St., Idaho St., Troy State, here's a fact:

There isn't alot of program pride with those teams!

If that's what you guys vision for NDSU, I feel sorry for you.

MplsBison
02-14-2006, 11:25 PM
The Big Sky will be kicking themselves if they let the State U's get away.

Exactly my point.

Right now, we have nothing to offer the members of the conference other than a long road trip and a hard fought game.

When we're able to get into the tournaments and make the Big Sky some money, they'll be singing a different tune.

sambini
02-15-2006, 01:43 AM
The Bison have played in the following BOWL games 1964 Mineral Bowl, Pecan Bowls in 1965,67,and68. Also Camelia Bowls in 1969 AND 1970. 1976 GRANTLAND RICE BOWL IN 1976 AND 1977. aND 1981 PALM Bowl.

kchats
02-15-2006, 03:36 AM
Everyone keeps talking about the Big Sky but I just don't see anything happening there. *Not until the west coast weaklings in the BSC are forced to play their hand one way or the other. *The Commisioner of the BSC would need to push for NDSU and SDSU and the presidents and AD's would need to put pressure on the west coast bottom dwellers of the BSC and even then I don't know if anything would happen. *I just can't get excited anymore over the BSC and any talk about our getting into that conference. *I would think the Mid-Con is where we need to be focusing our efforts. *We have been down the dead end BSC trail already. :-/

If a team gets invited to the WAC of Mountain West they will more than likely be a West Coast school that plays football. Chances are they will come from either the Southland or the Big Sky. The bad thing about losing schools from the Big Sky is the ones most ready to go division I-A are the ones that we most want in a conference with us.

OrygunBison
02-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Wow. Sambini, were you trying to start a riot when you started this thread?

Some of you guys get pretty angry, or at least write that way.

Relax. Breathe. Hug somebody.

sambini
02-15-2006, 07:36 AM
No I WAS NOT TRYING TO START A RIOT. But it sure is making the winter go by. WOW take a chill pill and relax. I can't believe how this has escalated since being talked over at breakfast last saturday at PETRO. I've been on both WAC and Mountain West WEBSITES very interesting.

tony
02-15-2006, 11:53 AM
Winter is making people crabby. About half the posts start out like, "I can't believe how stupid the rest of you are."

If the WAC or Mountain West would let NDSU and SDSU join for all sports other than football, I'd say JUMP ON IT. I wanna go to Hawaii, San Diego, and/or Vegas in the winter!

Rodentia
02-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Winter is making people crabby. About half the posts start out like, "I can't believe how stupid the rest of you are."

If the WAC or Mountain West would let NDSU and SDSU join for all sports other than football, I'd say JUMP ON IT. I wanna go to Hawaii, San Diego, and/or Vegas in the winter!

... it would make it easier to get the wife to agree to going to see the Bison on a road game...

IH8daSioux
02-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Im gonna goto JAMAICA for 10 days.

When I get back.. I expect.

NDSU AT GOPHERS in 06!!!

I expect NDSU 17-10 in BBAlL...

and discussion about DIV 1 HOCKEY in DOME

and Conference INVITE!!

coloradobison
02-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Im gonna goto JAMAICA for 10 days.

When I get back.. I expect.

NDSU AT GOPHERS *in 06!!!

I expect NDSU 17-10 in BBAlL...

and discussion about DIV 1 HOCKEY in DOME

and *Conference INVITE!!

Good luck with that third one. and i mean that in the most sarcastic way possible. its never going to happen.

HuskerFan
02-16-2006, 08:40 PM
"If the WAC or Mountain West would let NDSU and SDSU join for all sports other than football, I'd say JUMP ON IT. I wanna go to Hawaii, San Diego, and/or Vegas in the winter!"

I would love to see NDSU and SDSU join the Big 12 for baseball, since there are only 10 schools in the Big 12 that play baseball. Colorado and Iowa St don't have baseball teams.

buffalobill
02-16-2006, 10:03 PM
GO BISON GO

sambini
02-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Welcome Buffalo Bill and GO BISON GO+++++

WYOBISONMAN
02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
NDSU is not on the radar of the Mountain West.....trust me. I read a lot of thier boards, know a lot of folks with deep ties to the Wyo program, and they have not really given us much of a thought ......other than perhaps a game here and there....

mikelsch
02-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Mountain West is too high up on the food chain for NDSU. The WAC is more of an entry-level IA football conference. With that being said, IA football is a ways down the road (if ever).

buffalobill
02-17-2006, 06:32 PM
The worst of all worlds would find us as an independent or in a FB conference without an automatic qualifier in the 1-AA playoffs. I love the idea of proving championships on the field but just ask Cal Poly how difficult it has been for them. The schools in the WAC or Mountain West resemble the profile that we should be looking at.

dabearsrule
02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Some of you are acting as if a 1A conference will be calling NDSU with open arms. Do you not think the WAC will be more willing to let Montana in before NDSU? WYObison is correct in saying that NDSU is not even on the radar of the MWC. I live close to CSU and have some Ram friends and believe me, most didn't even know the Bison were d1aa right now. Sorry, but your best hope is still the Big Sky or another 1AA conference, maybe someday down the road NDSU can speak of 1A, but not right now. Just MHO.

IowaBison
02-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Some of you are acting as if a 1A conference will be calling NDSU with open arms. *Do you not think the WAC will be more willing to let Montana in before NDSU? * WYObison is correct in saying that NDSU is not even on the radar of the MWC. *I live close to CSU and have some Ram friends and believe me, most didn't even know the Bison were d1aa right now. *Sorry, but your best hope is still the Big Sky or another 1AA conference, maybe someday down the road NDSU can speak of 1A, but not right now. *Just MHO. *

Once again. I don't think anyone has said that. We have said that if NDSU is unable to get a spot in a DIAA conference and a DIA conference is interested we would listen to them.

That's it. Don't read anything else into it.

We are not too good for DIAA.

Sac_State
02-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Once again. *I don't think anyone has said that. *We have said that if NDSU is unable to get a spot in a DIAA conference and a DIA conference is interested we would listen to them.

That's it. *Don't read anything else into it. *

I am going to forward these comments to Fullerton's office. I am sure once he reads this thread all bets are off of ever adding NDSU to the Sky. Ok, back to minus 12 degree weather, enjoy.

Sac_State
02-17-2006, 08:23 PM
NDSU is not on the radar of the Mountain West.....trust me. *I read a lot of thier boards, know a lot of folks with deep ties to the Wyo program, and they have not really given us much of a thought ......other than perhaps a game here and there....

I believe you, I believe you!

IowaBison
02-17-2006, 08:25 PM
I am going to forward these comments to Fullerton's office. I am sure once he reads this all bets are off of ever adding NDSU to the Sky. Ok, back to minus 12 degree weather, enjoy.

Am I missing something?

Do you know how to read?

Bison_Dan
02-17-2006, 08:40 PM
Am I missing something?

Do you know how to read?

I doubt it - I'm sure sac-state believes that their ad is wonderful too. ::)

swaghook
02-17-2006, 08:45 PM
At least he uses an appropriate Avatar, because this board has just been spammed.

Paulie
02-17-2006, 08:52 PM
The schools in the WAC or Mountain West resemble the profile that we should be looking at. * *

The WAC and MWC have schools with 20, 30, even 40K enrolments. The only schools that are close to fitting the NDSU profile are Wyoming and Idaho. Everyone else is 2, 3, or 4 times larger.

sambini
02-18-2006, 12:05 AM
Bring on those folks from SAC STATE. Why don't you folks play us? Can't find the way? Or are you folks to good for us.

MplsBison
02-18-2006, 12:17 AM
The WAC and MWC have schools with 20, 30, even 40K enrolments. *The only schools that are close to fitting the NDSU profile are Wyoming and Idaho. *Everyone else is 2, 3, or 4 times larger. *

I don't think enrollment exactly transfers to athletic success.

Take a look at the enrollments of Wofford and Sac State.

Yellow
02-18-2006, 03:19 AM
University of Miami only has 12,000

Rodentia
02-18-2006, 04:16 AM
I am going to forward these comments to Fullerton's office. I am sure once he reads this thread all bets are off of ever adding NDSU to the Sky. Ok, back to minus 12 degree weather, enjoy.

Your certainty doesn't concern me in the least. If you want to waste his time, go right ahead. Still haven't seen anything here that would incur the wrath of the Big Sky. It might annoy you, but that's different, annoying you is a public service.

sambini
02-18-2006, 05:54 AM
NOTRE DAME HAS AROUND 8000.

BisonBacker
02-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Once again. *I don't think anyone has said that. *We have said that if NDSU is unable to get a spot in a DIAA conference and a DIA conference is interested we would listen to them.

That's it. *Don't read anything else into it. *

That's about as good as you can put it. Plain and simple and I agree 100%

BisonBacker
02-18-2006, 06:05 AM
I don't think enrollment exactly transfers to athletic success.

Take a look at the enrollments of Wofford and Sac State.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sambini
02-18-2006, 01:58 PM
This thread is all speculation. Thats all it is plain and simple. GO BISON AND KICK SOME JACKS TODAY. +++++

somebison
02-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Ok, back to minus 12 degree weather, enjoy.

Current Temps,

-23 in Bozeman, -13 in Greeley, -9 in Missoula, -1 in Pocatello, 7 in Cheney, 18 in Ogden, 29 in Portland/Flagstaff, 39 in Sac

Fargo is -6

dabearsrule
02-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Current Temps,

-23 in Bozeman, -13 in Greeley, -9 in Missoula, -1 in Pocatello, 7 in Cheney, 18 in Ogden, 29 in Portland/Flagstaff, 39 in Sac

Fargo is -6

It's "warmer" in Fargo then here in Greeley??? :o :o :o :o

sambini
02-19-2006, 05:26 AM
Maybe some division I-AA teams will move out of conferences into the WAC or Mountain West and that will create a need for NDSU and SDSU. *The only problem is one of the teams that might be targeted is Montana and if they leave the Big Sky for the WAC or Mountain West the Big Sky will be less appealing as well.The problem in Montana is MONTANA EWE CAN'T GO TO 1A WITHOUT MONTANA STATE.

sambini
02-19-2006, 05:30 AM
I encourage all you folks to go to www.wacsports.com to see how well we would fit in. Also NCAA.com for football attendance . On the WAC site for school size city size(SCHOOL LOCATION) AND THERE AVERAGE FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE.

Bisonguy
02-19-2006, 05:42 AM
The problem in Montana is MONTANA EWE CAN'T GO TO 1A WITHOUT MONTANA STATE.

Why not? They proved over on eGriz last year that there's no legislation binding the two schools together.