PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Dual 11/20

larson311
11-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Going to be a lot of tough matches and some good tests for a lot of guys. I used the rankings from WrestleStat

125 - #8 - Josh Rodriguez MD #97- Dalton Duffield/Moody 4-0
133 - #41 - Trae Blackwell DEC #92 - Albert Landeros 4-3
141 - #16 - Michael Longo DEC #72 - Joe Umlauf 4-6
149 - #14 - Davion Jeffries MD #75 - Kyle Gliva/Mitchell Friedman 4-10
157 - #23 - Clay Ream DEC #27 - Dawaylon Barnes 7-10 (Reams first big test of the year)
165 - #15 - Clark Glass DEC #26 - Andrew Fogarty 7-13 (big test for Fogarty)
174 - #13 - Matt Reed/Hansen DEC #202 - Carter Nielson 7-16 (Reed didn't wrestling in Journeyman)
184 - #67 - Tyler McNutt DEC #69 - Andrew Dixon 10-16
197 - #27 - Brad Johnson MD #88 - Cordell Eaton 10-20 (Pinned Eaton last year)
285 - #8 - Ross Larson MD #67 - Ben Tynan 10-24 (Larson pinned Tynan twice last year, we'll see what kind of strides Tynan has made)

NoFear
11-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Will it be streamed?

TLLJr
11-15-2016, 04:36 PM
Will it be streamed?

FSN (Channel 27 if you have Midco) 2 PM this Sunday.

andegre
11-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Here's the dual comparison and prediction: http://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/49/north-dakota-state/56/oklahoma

BraxtonT
11-17-2016, 02:45 PM
DirecTV Sports Pack customers can watch on Ch. 676-5 (Fox Sports Oklahoma HD)

Big Bird
11-18-2016, 11:28 PM
So what's the deal with Sykora? Press release doesn't have him listed this time, despite being listed last time, beating Landeros in the scrimmage, and placing higher at the Bison Open.

Big Bird
11-18-2016, 11:39 PM
It'll be tough for NDSU to win this one, but it's possible if a lot of the projected toss ups go NDSU's way. 125 is the only one where NDSU is strongly favored, but 157, 165, 174, and 184 all appear pretty close. Really excited to see how Nein, Eaton, and Tynan measure up

Gladiator Dad
11-19-2016, 01:00 AM
So what's the deal with Sykora? Press release doesn't have him listed this time, despite being listed last time, beating Landeros in the scrimmage, and placing higher at the Bison Open.

From what I can gather he was grandfathered in under the new NCAA Transfer Rule that would technically allow him to wrestle now but having said that there was a deal made with SDSU prior to him being grandfathered in with the new rule that he would be allowed to wrestle at semester. NDSU has chosen to honor their original agreement with SDSU that he would not wrestle until semester.

Big Bird
11-19-2016, 02:26 AM
Aw, thanks for the clarification

Big Bird
11-19-2016, 10:35 PM
My prediction:
125- Rodriguez maj Duffield 4-0
133- Blackwell maj Landeros 4-4
141- Longo dec Nein 4-7
149- Jeffries maj friedman 4-11
157- Ream dec Barnes 7-11
165- Fogarty dec Glass 10-11
174- Nielson dec Hansen 13-11
184- Dixon dec McNutt 13-14
197- Johnson dec Eaton 13-17
285- Larson dec Tynan

Best path to victory for NDSU is probably wins at 125, 157, 165, 174, and 184 and hope Rodriguez can get more bonus than OU. I'm excited to see how Eaton and Tynan stack up too. Those aren't ones that NDSU should win on paper, but Eaton and Tynan are both pretty solid and those aren't impossible by any means.

Big Bird
11-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Don't forget, 200pm Central time on FSN. TLLJr said thats channel 27 on Midco and it's channel 668 on Direct TV

RadioBison
11-20-2016, 07:13 PM
Is Josh fun to watch, or what?

Mr Meaty
11-20-2016, 07:22 PM
I never wrestled in high school or was a wrestling fan. I am watching today. See if you gain a new fan.

Bison"FANatic"
11-20-2016, 07:36 PM
I never wrestled in high school or was a wrestling fan. I am watching today. See if you gain a new fan.

I tried today also lasted a minute and a half. If there was a sport at NDSU that I could care less if they cut this is it.

El_Chapo
11-20-2016, 07:39 PM
fanatic. why post that?

ndsu Wrestling is the ONLY sport at NDSU with the balls to "Bring on the competition" and move up into a big time conference !
a

good Wrestling. need ream to win this

Big Bird
11-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Man, Friedman was right there with Jeffries...controlled the ties all match and had a great chance to take the lead late, but wound up on his back instead

HerdBoy
11-20-2016, 08:12 PM

Me too. Great watching this on FSN.

Big Bird
11-20-2016, 08:18 PM
Glad to see McNutt pull that one out...but I imagine he's going to hear it from the staff. You cannot give up an escape and takedown in the last 11 seconds of a period.

Big Test for Eaton here

Big Bird
11-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Decent performance today. It was a winnable dual, but things had to go about really well.
HWT- Just not a good matchup for Tynan.
125- Rodriguez looked great. 125 is super deep, but Josh is in the mix for an AA spot
133- The performance at 133 has been really bad so far. 2nd semester should be much better with Sykora in there
141- I thought Nein wrestled pretty well. He just needs more experience in scramble situations. It is a HUUUUUGE jump from ND HS wrestling to D1, and I thought he handled it well. If he finishes that first period td, which he should have, that is a very different match. It'll be very interesting to see how he progresses this year.
149- Friedman had a shot to win this one in the last minute of the match, which I'm positive nobody thought could happen. Nice effort
157- Clay wrestled great. Barnes is really tough and has some great shots, but it didn't matter.
165- Would've liked to see more urgency from Fogarty. In the end, he lost a close match and didn't look overwhelmed and Glass is a borderline top 10 guy.
174- Nielson looked good. Would've liked to see him open up more, as I think he was significantly better than his opponent.
184- Good job to get the win, just need to clean up some minor things and pick his spots better. It's a good sign when you can still win when not wrestling your best.
197- He competed decently with a top 20 guy. Once he committed to his offense in the third, he was in on Johnson's legs quite a bit. Needs to work on finishing those and committing to full attacks earlier.

Overall, a loss sucks, but it was expected. I saw more positives than negatives for going forward. One concern, bottom wrestling still wasn't very good. It's been an issue for a while (it may have been a little better today, but still not an acceptable level). Shot defense was much better today in my book, which is encouraging.

RadioBison
11-20-2016, 08:43 PM
I am very encouraged by today. Ream got a solid win over a good opponent. Rigo looked like he's a top five contender. We did better at a lot of weights where I think we would have struggled last year. This team is moving in the right direction, although I think the conference is doing the same thing as a whole.

BisoninNWMN
11-21-2016, 11:42 AM
I tried today also lasted a minute and a half. If there was a sport at NDSU that I could care less if they cut this is it.

Wrestling has the potential to be one the most consistently successful sports at NDSU.

Christopher Moen
11-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Bucky pushed for the endowment of the program many years ago. I don't know it is fully endowed yet, but it has to be close.

Plus, if NDSU cuts wrestling, think of how much money not only NDSU looses, but the city of Fargo will too if we (USAW) had to pull the Junior/Cadet National Championships because the school doesn't support wrestling. I don't know what the exact dollar amount would be today, but according to the Fargo-Moorhead CVB in 1997, the tournament was predicted to bring in $7 to $9 million dollars to the F-M area.

NoFear
11-21-2016, 08:34 PM
And wrestling rules over all other sports

Mr Meaty
11-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Bucky pushed for the endowment of the program many years ago. I don't know it is fully endowed yet, but it has to be close.

Plus, if NDSU cuts wrestling, think of how much money not only NDSU looses, but the city of Fargo will too if we (USAW) had to pull the Junior/Cadet National Championships because the school doesn't support wrestling. I don't know what the exact dollar amount would be today, but according to the Fargo-Moorhead CVB in 1997, the tournament was predicted to bring in $7 to $9 million dollars to the F-M area.

All good and valid points, I am trying to open my sports mind and schedule to fit in wrestling. Just will take me time to become fanatic about it. The hard work those student athletes put in are just as hard as all student athletes and should be supported for that effort.

Bison"FANatic"
11-21-2016, 09:30 PM

Ya with its endowment there is no way it would be cut nor should it be. It is just not one that I enjoy watching. I hope it sells out the SHAC though and brings in a bunch of money to the Athletic department.

SC_TX
11-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Ya with its endowment there is no way it would be cut nor should it be. It is just not one that I enjoy watching. I hope it sells out the SHAC though and brings in a bunch of money to the Athletic department.

I came to NDSU last year with no previous college wrestling experience. It is just not a thing in the south where I'm from. But I found it pretty easy to get into it at NDSU duals and I even followed the NCAA's last year.