PDA

View Full Version : Final Set of Rankings

tolnabison
11-14-2016, 04:57 PM
The "Insiders" show just announced that the final FCS rankings will be announced tomorrow night at 9:00 on ESPNU.

SomeBeach
11-14-2016, 05:00 PM
"Final"? We have one more week yet to play!

tolnabison
11-14-2016, 05:03 PM
"Final"? We have one more week yet to play!
That is how it is being labeled, the final rankings before the playoffs are announced.

tony
11-14-2016, 05:21 PM
Makes sense - final rankings this week because next week, they are announcing the playoff field.

Bison 4 Life
11-14-2016, 05:40 PM
"How to not look like we're trying to hold down NDSU while trying to hold down NDSU."

SomeBeach
11-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Makes sense - final rankings this week because next week, they are announcing the playoff field.

Semantics, I guess. But I would say that the playoff rankings should take into account the FINAL rankings... which shouldn't be done until the season is over. WHATEVER. I hope this is the only thing I have an issue with in the playoff selection process!

Bison03
11-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Maybe they will continue the slow process of correcting themselves, I'm not holding my breath.

cbline
11-14-2016, 06:30 PM
"How to not look like we're trying to hold down NDSU while trying to hold down NDSU."

Like when all Missouri Valley teams were placed on the same side of the bracket? I fear that we will get the second verse (in whatever form they create) of this song in a couple weeks.

Bisonator98
11-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Like when all Missouri Valley teams were placed on the same side of the bracket? I fear that we will get the second verse (in whatever form they create) of this song in a couple weeks.

Yep. Look for UND, SDSU, YSU, CSU and EWU all on our side of the bracket. A rival, a team that beat us, another MVFC team and 2 teams that took us to OT. They will throw everything they can at us to knock us out.

ZHerd
11-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Yep. Look for UND, SDSU, YSU, CSU and EWU all on our side of the bracket. A rival, a team that beat us, another MVFC team and 2 teams that took us to OT. They will throw everything they can at us to knock us out.

Replace YSU with UNI and it's even tougher. Thing is, we aren't that dominate this year (or at least hadn't been) and I think many playoff teams could take us to the wire. If you put us on the other side I think SHSU, JSU, JMU etc. could also take us to the wire. NDSU just needs to take care of business regardless of the bracket opponents. If there are teams more likely to beat us I would much rather face them in the playoffs than the championship game. Just get them out of the way, and if we can't then we don't belong in Frisco anyways.

Bisonator98
11-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Replace YSU with UNI and it's even tougher. Thing is, we aren't that dominate this year (or at least hadn't been) and I think many playoff teams could take us to the wire. If you put us on the other side I think SHSU, JSU, JMU etc. could also take us to the wire. NDSU just needs to take care of business regardless of the bracket opponents. If there are teams more likely to beat us I would much rather face them in the playoffs than the championship game. Just get them out of the way, and if we can't then we don't belong in Frisco anyways.

I don't think UNI will get in but I agree with your post.

89MTBISON
11-14-2016, 07:21 PM
How about San Diego v Cal Poly, winner to #2 NDSU. Montana v WIU, winner to #7 UND. Central Ark. v Chattanooga to #3 Jacksonville. SDSU v Weber (or UNC) winner to #6 Citadel. This keeps things somewhat regionalized in the first and second rounds, but avoids any rematches (I think).

Professor Chaos
11-14-2016, 07:34 PM
How about San Diego v Cal Poly, winner to #2 NDSU. Montana v WIU, winner to #7 UND. Central Ark. v Chattanooga to #3 Jacksonville. SDSU v Weber (or UNC) winner to #6 Citadel. This keeps things somewhat regionalized in the first and second rounds, but avoids any rematches (I think).
If UND and NDSU are seeded and SDSU is unseeded there's no way SDSU isn't sent either to Grand Forks or Fargo (if they win their first game). The committee is apparently bound by a sacred blood oath that'll take away their first 2 grandchildren if they don't bracket in the maximum amount of bus trips.

Although I'm still confused how they got away with it in 2013 and had SDSU playing NAU to go to EWU and fed in the winner of Furman/SCSU to NDSU.

gumby013
11-14-2016, 07:42 PM
If UND and NDSU are seeded and SDSU is unseeded there's no way SDSU isn't sent either to Grand Forks or Fargo (if they win their first game). The committee is apparently bound by a sacred blood oath that'll take away their first 2 grandchildren if they don't bracket in the maximum amount of bus trips.

Although I'm still confused how they got away with it in 2013 and had SDSU playing NAU to go to EWU and fed in the winner of Furman/SCSU to NDSU.

They are bound by trying to match up teams within 300 miles of each other so they can go by bus. Despite anything they are saying, they will try to match who they think will with a first round match up with the closest seed.

Mr. Burgundy
11-14-2016, 07:54 PM
I would ask that the entire committee makes their ballot public. Make it transparent. Make it so you cannot vote for a conference mate. quit changing how the playoffs work.

CAS4127
11-14-2016, 08:00 PM
I would ask that the entire committee makes their ballot public. Make it transparent. Make it so you cannot vote for a conference mate. quit changing how the playoffs work.

And, when the Coaches poll continues to have us and EWU ranked behind JSU and SHSU, the committee members have instant support/basis for their position to the uneducated fans/people out there, and there are a shitload of them.

BisonNation11
11-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Depending on how this whole thing shakes out in less than a week, here's some updates I'd like to see. 1. The FCS selection committee is built to come up with a set of standards in which rankings are to be made from. SOS, W-L record, Sagarin ranking, etc. No objective standards are allowed (Example: Eye test) 2. The FCS selection committee is built with the following criteria: One member from every conference that has a playoff autobid. Additional members will be added based upon last season's teams per conference in the playoffs. Example: MVFC had 5 teams last year. They get 5 representatives the following season. 3. All 24 playoff spots be ranked, as well as the next 4 after that. 4. Teams ranked 1-8 are not allowed to be moved for ease of travel. Teams 9-24 are allowed to be moved one spot in either direction to allow for ease of travel. Initial rankings are to be made public as well as the final "moved" rankings. 5. All votes will be transparent. Accountability will come down to each individual member who must answer for themselves in the case of controversy. I'm sure I'm missing something, but something along these lines would take most of the subjectivity out of it. It'll never happen, but a guy can dream.

Christopher Moen
11-14-2016, 08:18 PM

This team is a lot like last year's team in regards to dominating. Not so much early in the season, but very much late in the season. The win at UNI gives me the impression that this team might be a little better than last year's in games that Carson didn't play.

89MTBISON
11-14-2016, 09:56 PM

I thought they were doing away with the regionalization thing this year after last years debacle. No rematches in the first two rounds.

thebootfitter
11-14-2016, 10:13 PM
I thought they were doing away with the regionalization thing this year after last years debacle. No rematches in the first two rounds.
Here's a couple articles about it. I couldn't find the follow up news after the NCAA meeting in October. Maybe not published anywhere yet?

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/football/committee-recommends-avoiding-regional-fcs-playoff-pairings/article_4d2f1c53-8152-58a5-a8d8-0f72bae3ffe5.html

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/another-hurdle-cleared-toward-fcs-playoff-change-060716

What I get out of those is that it ONLY applies if four or more teams from one conference make the playoffs, then they'll allow ONE extra charter flight when they're setting up the playoff matchups. I don't think it says anything about "no rematches in the first two rounds." I assume, however, that the same rule will apply that there can be no rematches in the first round (i.e. Week 1 of Playoffs).

FFBison
11-15-2016, 12:31 AM

Several committee members assumed it was San Diego State...

Hammerhead
11-15-2016, 02:44 AM
I heard someone on Mike & Mike this morning discussing the FBS playoffs (or whatever they are called) and said he was for the eye test and having Ohio State in the playoffs even if they don't get to the Big Ten championship game. It will be kind of funny if SDSU gets the autobid and no seed while NDSU is anywhere in the top 4 seeds.

Depending on how this whole thing shakes out in less than a week, here's some updates I'd like to see. 1. The FCS selection committee is built to come up with a set of standards in which rankings are to be made from. SOS, W-L record, Sagarin ranking, etc. No objective standards are allowed (Example: Eye test) 2. The FCS selection committee is built with the following criteria: One member from every conference that has a playoff autobid. Additional members will be added based upon last season's teams per conference in the playoffs. Example: MVFC had 5 teams last year. They get 5 representatives the following season. 3. All 24 playoff spots be ranked, as well as the next 4 after that. 4. Teams ranked 1-8 are not allowed to be moved for ease of travel. Teams 9-24 are allowed to be moved one spot in either direction to allow for ease of travel. Initial rankings are to be made public as well as the final "moved" rankings. 5. All votes will be transparent. Accountability will come down to each individual member who must answer for themselves in the case of controversy. I'm sure I'm missing something, but something along these lines would take most of the subjectivity out of it. It'll never happen, but a guy can dream.

BisonHorns
11-15-2016, 10:09 AM
:biggrin:I think they should just let the fans vote on line.

Herd
11-15-2016, 11:17 AM
One of the new criteria is the eliminating of rematches in the 2nd round. Therefore we shouldnt see Sdsu, uni or any teams we played this year in round 2. Can people get that in their heads?

That might work to und'S disadvantage if they are seeded. They might get Valley teams in to round 2.

Professor Chaos
11-15-2016, 11:22 AM
One of the new criteria is the eliminating of rematches in the 2nd round. Therefore we shouldnt see Sdsu, uni or any teams we played this year in round 2. Can people get that in their heads?

That might work to und'S disadvantage if they are seeded. They might get Valley teams in to round 2.
That's not a new criteria (or an old one for that matter). I wish it was but there will still be plenty of possible regular season rematches in the 2nd round.

On a related note I believe UNI is just outside the bus trip radius for NDSU so I don't think they're very likely to be put in the NDSU pod.

bisonmike2
11-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Can't wait to see how they fuck this up this week. My guess.

1. JSU
2. JSU (JSU will be 1 and 2 so they can decided which side of the bracket is easiest for them to get to the championship game)
3. SHSU
4. EWU
5. SDSU (the committee will realize that ISU is a quality loss for them since ISU should be considered a playoff team)
6. NDSU
7. Clevland Browns
8. JSU (the committee will try to get JSU a bye by matching them up with themselves in the 3rd round)

PlrbrBison
11-15-2016, 12:27 PM
Ha! That's awesome.

wagsabison
11-15-2016, 12:56 PM
If their isn't a change in the top 3 tonight I'm guessing we are going to end up #3 Sunday morning. Which is ridiculous if you consider we beat the team that's just above us and have the same record.

Hammerhead
11-15-2016, 12:58 PM
The old criteria was that there would be no rematches if it was the first playoff game for both teams. Our first playoff game in 2012 and 2014 were against SDSU because they were unseeded and had a 1st round game.

That's not a new criteria (or an old one for that matter). I wish it was but there will still be plenty of possible regular season rematches in the 2nd round.

On a related note I believe UNI is just outside the bus trip radius for NDSU so I don't think they're very likely to be put in the NDSU pod.

Bisonator98
11-15-2016, 01:07 PM

1. JSU
2. JSU (JSU will be 1 and 2 so they can decided which side of the bracket is easiest for them to get to the championship game)
3. SHSU
4. EWU
5. SDSU (the committee will realize that ISU is a quality loss for them since ISU should be considered a playoff team)
6. NDSU
7. Clevland Browns
8. JSU (the committee will try to get JSU a bye by matching them up with themselves in the 3rd round)

I think they will give JSU's band the #4 seed.:biggrin:

TransAmBison
11-15-2016, 01:17 PM
I think they will give JSU's band the #4 seed.:biggrin:That is not acceptable!

Bisonator98
11-15-2016, 01:24 PM
That is not acceptable!

They should be #1?

bisonsupporter
11-15-2016, 01:31 PM

1. JSU
3. SHSU
4. EWU
6. NDSU
7. Clevland Browns

I think they are on the bubble as the last at-large team in the field.

wagsabison
11-15-2016, 01:34 PM
Apparently the only way to be seeded above us is if we can lose to ourselves or LSU.

TransAmBison
11-15-2016, 02:11 PM
They should be #1?There should be a place above #1 for them!

MNLonghorn10
11-15-2016, 02:15 PM
If their isn't a change in the top 3 tonight I'm guessing we are going to end up #3 Sunday morning. Which is ridiculous if you consider we beat the team that's just above us and have the same record.
I have zero faith they'll get it right.

Vet70
11-15-2016, 02:18 PM
I have zero faith they'll get it right.

^^^^All you have to do is use past behavior to predict the future.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2016, 02:37 PM
^^^^All you have to do is use past behavior to predict the future.

I'm only praying this was some grand conspiracy to make sure people were paying attention and they keep "tweeking" it toward being correct each week. Then, I wake up and remember the one person on the committee is still mad about getting his ass handed to him in Frisco, and another if from Misery St who is supposed to be our advocate.

tjbison
11-15-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm only praying this was some grand conspiracy to make sure people were paying attention and they keep "tweeking" it toward being correct each week. Then, I wake up and remember the one person on the committee is still mad about getting his ass handed to him in Frisco, and another if from Misery St who is supposed to be our advocate.

and two of the members have schools in the OVC, yes not both FB but still

EC8CH
11-15-2016, 02:41 PM
There should be a place above #1 for them!

Their band is so big they'll need all the rankings to fit them all.

TransAmBison
11-15-2016, 02:58 PM
Their band is so big they'll need all the rankings to fit them all.But a band that great should not get a bye...that would be an injustice to college athletics. If anything, they should have to play twice over the Thanksgiving weekend.

runtheoption
11-15-2016, 03:09 PM

1. JSU
3. SHSU offense / NDSU defense
4. EWU
5. The Citadel (East Coast/Southern Speed bias)
6. UND (oops, wrong Dakota, oh well)
7. Clevland Browns
8. JSU (the committee will try to get JSU a bye by matching them up with themselves in the 3rd round)Changes above in bold. This would help to ensure the championship game would be only 25% MVFC.

Christopher Moen
11-15-2016, 03:19 PM
I think they are on the bubble as the last at-large team in the field.

They have 10 quality loses though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAS4127
11-15-2016, 07:02 PM
There should be a place above #1 for them!

Whoever wins the Natty earns the right to play them in "true" Natty game.

thundarsdaddy
11-15-2016, 07:27 PM
But a band that great should not get a bye...that would be an injustice to college athletics. If anything, they should have to play twice over the Thanksgiving weekend.

This is classic!!!

Milkman
11-15-2016, 08:01 PM
I think they are on the bubble as the last at-large team in the field.Oh they are clearly in. Have you seen their quality losses?

Crap never mind, Christopher Moen beat me to it.

Christopher Moen
11-15-2016, 08:02 PM
Oh they are clearly in. Have you seen their quality losses?

I really enjoyed the first one.

BisonAccountant44
11-15-2016, 09:40 PM
I'm only praying this was some grand conspiracy to make sure people were paying attention and they keep "tweeking" it toward being correct each week.

I don't think it was a conspiracy to make sure people were paying attention because that would mean they thought people were going to pay attention. I think the first one was nothing more than ignorance and laziness.

Then, they figured out that people were actually looking at their "work" and they decided to only take baby steps towards fixing it thinking they'd find "reasons" over the next couple weeks to justify the changes which would help hide exactly how little effort they put in the first time around.

HerdBot
11-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I heard on the radio that they will be doing a selection sunday show on Bison 1660. Should be a great bitch fest!!

aces1180
11-15-2016, 11:06 PM
I heard on the radio that they will be doing a selection sunday show on Bison 1660. Should be a great bitch fest!!

Fantastic!

HerdBot
11-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Here's some good Bracketology discussion on Bison1660 today. Really like the Brian McLaughlin guy from Hero Sports

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/hero-sports-senior-writer-brian-mclaughlin-on-the-brakedown-tuesday-november-15th
Hero Sports senior writer, Brian McLaughlin on "The Brakedown" Tuesday, November 15th

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/jeremy-jorgensons-fcs-bracketology-nov-15-2016
Jeremy Jorgenson's FCS Bracketology Nov. 15, 2016

HerdBot
11-16-2016, 02:05 AM
Turned the show on and there is 8 minutes left in a shirty mac game

Bison 4 Life
11-16-2016, 02:09 AM
According to WatchESPN it's on at 11 pm Eastern

Professor Chaos
11-16-2016, 02:11 AM
As long as BGSU keeps holding the ball this one should be over in the next 15 minutes.

HerdBot
11-16-2016, 02:15 AM
According to WatchESPN it's on at 11 pm Eastern

Your right my bad

NDSUstudent
11-16-2016, 02:23 AM
42-7....call a timeout with 2 seconds left...WTF?

Professor Chaos
11-16-2016, 02:36 AM
NDSU to #1!!!

semobison
11-16-2016, 02:36 AM
Well, can't complain about the rankings anymore!

natstar1
11-16-2016, 02:38 AM
Well, can't complain about the rankings anymore!

what are we supposed to do now?

WhoRepsTheLurker
11-16-2016, 02:44 AM
what are we supposed to do now?

Win out ... Through January

HerdBot
11-16-2016, 03:17 AM
NDSU to #1!!!

Wow they finally took a look at the indisputable data. I'll just say this. We better not fuck it up vs USD! We better be ready to hit our Grandmas on Saturday!

FFBison
11-16-2016, 04:28 PM
JSU fans are actually taking this quite well...

http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/2730/committee-ranking