PDA

View Full Version : Bill Farrell tourney

Big Bird
11-11-2016, 05:01 PM
One of the best senior level US Freestyle and Greco tournaments is going on right now in New York.

Former NDSU wrestlers Kallen Kleinschmidt, Hayden Zillmer, and Justin Lavalle are all entered. Kleinschmidt is on deck on mat 1 right now.

A ton of former NCAA champs are wrestling and the early highlight for me has been Cody Brewer pinning Nashon Garrett. It was a wild back and forth match with a ton of points and awesome huge moves. Brewer was a point away from a tech, gave up the lead and Garrett tied it up, and then Brewer hit a firemans and got the fall.

The three other big stories for me are Logan Stieber at 61kg, Chance Marstellar returning to the mat and looking like he's focused again, and the entire loaded 61kg bracket.

Big Bird
11-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Kleinschmidt dominated Paulo Souza from Brazil, who was one win shy of qualifying for the Olympics at the Pan Am Olympic qualifier this year. He has former Kent State hammer Dustin Kilgore next for a berth in the finals. Also, Kallen is wrestling for NYAC and has Brendan Slay coaching him. Slay is one of the top, if not the top, freestyle coaches in America

Big Bird
11-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Kleinschmidt had a 4-2 lead late in the first and gave up a late takedown. After that It was all Kilgore and Kleinschmidt lost 10-4

Aalso, that time Coach Slay was in Kilgore's corner

Christopher Moen
11-11-2016, 09:26 PM
Kleinschmidt had a 4-2 lead late in the first and gave up a late takedown. After that It was all Kilgore and Kleinschmidt lost 10-4

Aalso, that time Coach Slay was in Kilgore's corner

Kallen and Dustin train together at the USOTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Bird
11-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. Slay and Pami (I think it was him) were pretty quiet.

Kleinschmidt loses to Micah Burak 4-2. Burak had a go behind and rather than give up the easy 2, Kallen tried to fight it off, and gave up 4. Burak went backwards for 5 and a half minutes in that one.

Christopher Moen
11-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Thanks, that makes sense. Slay and Pami (I think it was him) were pretty quiet.

Kleinschmidt loses to Micah Burak 4-2. Burak had a go behind and rather than give up the easy 2, Kallen tried to fight it off, and gave up 4. Burak went backwards for 5 and a half minutes in that one.

Watched it happened right in front of me at the head table. Classic example over-fighting bad positioning. Should have given up the takedown for two and lived to fight another day. Burak's defense is too tough to come from four down.

Big Bird
11-12-2016, 02:12 AM
Watched it happened right in front of me at the head table. Classic example over-fighting bad positioning. Should have given up the takedown for two and lived to fight another day. Burak's defense is too tough to come from four down.

Yeah, it has to hurt to give up such a soft 4 pt move like that too.

I'm excited to see how Hayden looks up at 98kg tomorrow. If he wins his first match vs the Canadian, he should have a really good match vs Enock Francois. The 85kg bracket looks significantly weaker to me too. Lavalle has a really poor first round match, but I'm hopeful he can get on a roll if he drops to the consolation bracket right away.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 05:31 PM
LaValle wins big in the first round against Ryan Mango. Zillmer now up on Mat 3.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 05:40 PM
Zillmer beats the Canadian 2-0.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 05:43 PM
LaValle gets teched by Japan in the Quarterfinals.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Zillmer now up on Mat 3.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Hayden over Francois 3-2. Now in the Semis.

Big Bird
11-12-2016, 06:43 PM
That's a good win. Struggled to get his offense going, but gutted out the win late

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 06:54 PM
That's a good win. Struggled to get his offense going, but gutted out the win late

Enoch is tough, but the last point he scored (step-out) should not have happen as he was called for passivity by the mat official and confirmed by the judge a few seconds before the score. However, the mat official didn't see the confirmation and allied action to continue.

Good win for Hayden.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 07:15 PM
LaValle wins 5-4 against the Korean in the consolation bracket.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Zillmer up 4-0 after 1st period on Mat 1 against Spencer Wilson.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Hayden wins 5-0. Will wrestle G'Angleo Hancock for the Championship tonight!

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 07:42 PM
LaValle with a fall.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 08:18 PM
LaValle loses by tech fall in Consi-semi match.

Done for the tournament, but solid day.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 11:45 PM
Zillmer down 1-0 after the first period.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Loses 2-0 to claim the Silver.

Big Bird
11-12-2016, 11:53 PM
I'd like to see Hayden pack on some more muscle if he's going to stay at 98kg, and figure out a way to use his length to score consistently. Hancock is super young and won't be going away anytime soon.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 11:56 PM
I'd like to see Hayden pack on some more muscle if he's going to stay at 98kg, and figure out a way to use his length to score consistently. Hancock is super young and won't be going away anytime soon.

That muscle growth needs to be in the legs. He let Hancock push him around and control the action.