PDA

View Full Version : Indiana State Pregame Thread

gumby013
11-06-2016, 10:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zIwd8ST.png

BisoninNWMN
11-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Put the foot on the gas pedal and crush this team.

Their defense is struggling.

WFBisonFan
11-06-2016, 11:34 AM
It would be great to see a consistent offense firing on all cylinders next week. A great opportunity to build more momentum as the regular season winds down.

EC8CH
11-06-2016, 12:28 PM
https://media.makeameme.org/created/its-going-down-yng6jt.jpg

El_Chapo
11-06-2016, 12:29 PM
i wanna see 500 yards of offense. period

EC8CH
11-06-2016, 12:43 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/1dmihj.jpg

semobison
11-06-2016, 12:53 PM
It would be great to see a consistent offense firing on all cylinders next week. A great opportunity to build more momentum as the regular season winds down.

Yup! Need some momentum on O, especially in our passing game. ES needs a confidence building game.

No_Skill
11-06-2016, 01:01 PM
We need to crush these last two.

TwinCityBison
11-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Yup! Need some momentum on O, especially in our passing game. ES needs a confidence building game.
Yes we need to get in rhythm

Bisonwinagn
11-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Put the foot on the gas pedal and crush this team.

Their defense is struggling.

Maybe but they held YSU to 291 yards NDSU gave up 314. So there is that!!!

BisoninNWMN
11-06-2016, 09:52 PM

Maybe the Bison should forfeit then....:facepalm:

MinotBison
11-06-2016, 10:06 PM

No hope for the Bison I guess.

Vet70
11-06-2016, 10:30 PM
Maybe the Bison should forfeit then....:facepalm:

No hope for the Bison I guess.

There is a possibility that his post was tongue in cheek.

Mr Meaty
11-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Larry Bird can't help them in this game.

StL Bison Fan
11-07-2016, 02:22 AM
Perhaps this is a glass half full post but pertinent to this weeks game also. Kicking game aint that bad...
http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/11/06/punter-koonce-quietly-having-a-solid-season-for-bison/

Bisonator98
11-07-2016, 02:51 AM
Perhaps this is a glass half full post but pertinent to this weeks game also. Kicking game aint that bad...
http://mcfeely.areavoices.com/2016/11/06/punter-koonce-quietly-having-a-solid-season-for-bison/

Lol whatever. Anytime your only kicking it 35 yards I wouldn't expect any returns. Doesn't mean he's a good punter.

I was really impressed with Cam's kickoffs though. He has really improved.

MAKBison
11-07-2016, 03:01 AM
Lol whatever. Anytime your only kicking it 35 yards I wouldn't expect any returns. Doesn't mean he's a good punter.

Considering the avergae NFL Punt is about 10 yards longer and the average punt return is about 9 yards he is dong pretty darn well. On punts, we give up about 1 more yard than an average NFL team.

Looks like we would Rank about 16 if we were in the NFL.....assuming your are correct its a 35 average.

89MTBISON
11-07-2016, 03:04 AM
One return minus 4 yards, all season. He is doing fine.

Bison Bridge Guy
11-07-2016, 03:09 AM

Just watched the Bison Football Show and they showed all of Cams kicks and it looked like he hit the same spot every time. And one punt return for the entire season for -4 yards is a good thing for the punt game. He's been better each week.

Bisonator98
11-07-2016, 03:18 AM
A 35 yard punt from the 40 yard line is one thing but when you're backed up to the 10 and need to flip the field a 35 yarder ain't going to get it done. Didn't Ben boom a 70 yarder in that UNI playoff game?

MAKBison
11-07-2016, 03:31 AM
A 35 yard punt from the 40 yard line is one thing but when you're backed up to the 10 and need to flip the field a 35 yarder ain't going to get it done. Didn't Ben boom a 70 yarder in that UNI playoff game?

True, but Lk has booted +50 yards a few times. Thus far in the 2016 season of the NFL, only 6 teams can say they put it out there 70+ yards and none of them can say they have -4 return yards. Like I said we would be ranked in the middle of the pack if this was the NFL.

X-Factor
11-07-2016, 04:05 AM
Considering the avergae NFL Punt is about 10 yards longer and the average punt return is about 9 yards he is dong pretty darn well. On punts, we give up about 1 more yard than an average NFL team.

Looks like we would Rank about 16 if we were in the NFL.....assuming your are correct its a 35 average.

There is no way that is right. We are #60 out of 105 in the FCS. No way we would be 16th in NFL...

MAKBison
11-07-2016, 04:52 AM
There is no way that is right. We are #60 out of 105 in the FCS. No way we would be 16th in NFL...
I was comparing punt distance and return yards.....i just went to espn 2016 nfl stats and went by what they show.....i looked at the average punts and punt returns and compared them to what we do. According to them, on average nfl kickers punts it 10 more yards (about 45 yards) and give up 9 yards on the return. About 15 teams either kick it shorter than that and give up more yards. Thus based on those two elements yeah, we are in the middle of the pack.

Christopher Moen
11-07-2016, 07:40 AM

If a punter booms a 50+ kick, he better have a great coverage team. Indiana State lost against to Youngstown State last week when their punter out-kicked the heck out of his coverage, which led to a TD return.

BisonHorns
11-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Sycamores are crashing right now. This what the coach said after the last game. “I’m very disappointed in our team today,” “We’re able to take 60 guys up to North Dakota State, and what I told them is that I want 60 guys who love football and are 100 percent committed to us from preparing during the week to us winning the football game.”

BisonHorns
11-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Sycamores are crashing right now. This what the coach said after the last game. “I’m very disappointed in our team today,” “We’re able to take 60 guys up to North Dakota State, and what I told them is that I want 60 guys who love football and are 100 percent committed to us from preparing during the week to us winning the football game.”

BisoninNWMN
11-07-2016, 11:06 AM
One return minus 4 yards, all season. He is doing fine.

This here...

tony
11-07-2016, 05:34 PM
ISU-Blue is near the bottom in a lot of stats in the MVFC... however, they've got good return stats so hopefully we get another great performance from our K and P this Saturday.

The other good stats ISU-Blue are "Passing Offense" and "Field Goals."

gumby013
11-07-2016, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNNmzR7vmE

X-Factor
11-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Next man up! Thankfully the d-line has good depth relative to recent years

Professor Chaos
11-08-2016, 12:08 PM
The Bison O-line has really picked up their game since their early October slump. In the past 3 games they've put up 218 rush yards per game on the 3 best run defenses in the MVFC (outside of NDSU). Those teams have only given up ~140 rush yards per game on average this season.

The even better news; statistically, Indiana St and USD have the two worst run defenses in the MVFC.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team-conf.pdf

tjbison
11-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Indiana St is playing its final game, do they play their ass off and try to disrupt NDSU or are they content and ready for the season to be over?

Mr Meaty
11-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Indiana St is playing its final game, do they play their ass off and try to disrupt NDSU or are they content and ready for the season to be over?

Just rollover like a dog and be done.

wagsabison
11-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I think this next couple weeks can give this team some real momentum headed into the playoffs. A couple teams that we can't overlook but have the chance to beat by 2-3+ td's and roll to victories. Hopefully get the younger guys some reps too. Of course the way this season has gone nail-biters aren't out of the question either.

SDbison
11-08-2016, 03:13 PM
The Bison O-line has really picked up their game since their early October slump. In the past 3 games they've put up 218 rush yards per game on the 3 best run defenses in the MVFC (outside of NDSU). Those teams have only given up ~140 rush yards per game on average this season.

The even better news; statistically, Indiana St and USD have the two worst run defenses in the MVFC.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team-conf.pdf Good points, but to be honest NDSU's passing game has not been very good lately so the run game had to be productive or a couple of the last 3 games would have been losses.

Bison03
11-08-2016, 03:28 PM
Good points, but to be honest NDSU's passing game has not been very good lately so the run game had to be productive or a couple of the last 3 games would have been losses.
Passing game needs improvement but I don't think it is on life support like some people think. Sure, not a lot of passing yards last week. But look at the situation. We were up 17-0 early. Why pass the ball a lot. Especially when you are getting everything you want on the ground, 240 yards rushing. Also, Youngstown has a great defense. I fully expect Stick to pick it up the next two weeks and get some positive vibes going into the playoffs.

wagsabison
11-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Passing game needs improvement but I don't think it is on life support like some people think. Sure, not a lot of passing yards last week. But look at the situation. We were up 17-0 early. Why pass the ball a lot. Especially when you are getting everything you want on the ground, 240 yards rushing. Also, Youngstown has a great defense. I fully expect Stick to pick it up the next two weeks and get some positive vibes going into the playoffs.

I want to see ISU-Red Stick.

Bisonator98
11-08-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm definitely hoping we Stick it to the big trees. And on defense we hit them with a Plank!:biggrin:

G_Funky
11-08-2016, 04:15 PM
I want to see ISU-Red Stick.

that was fun to watch, but really it hasn't been necessary over the last 3 games.

i mean how many times did stick throw the ball last week? 12 attempts or something? it goes back a little to the discussion that's gone round and round about our RB by committee situation. Stick, on average, threw the ball 3 times per qtr...or like once a drive. how is he supposed to establish a rythum with that frequency? Like okay - you've been turning around and handing he ball off for the last 20 plays, now you need to throw downfield 15-20 yards...or throw an 8-10 yard out or dig on a rope...when you haven't been reading the defense all day now you need to just flip the switch. Not to mention, it's not like he's put in a situation to make high percentage throws when he does have to throw it...2nd and 3rd and medium/long are situational downs that allow the defense to play one dimension a lot harder than the other.

if we had to pass bc our run game was doing that poorly, i have total confidence in Sticks ability to lead a drive with just his arm.

With that being said, i think we run for 250+ over the next 2 games and Stick's passing attempts will stay in the low teens.

wagsabison
11-08-2016, 04:29 PM
that was fun to watch, but really it hasn't been necessary over the last 3 games.

i mean how many times did stick throw the ball last week? 12 attempts or something? it goes back a little to the discussion that's gone round and round about our RB by committee situation. Stick, on average, threw the ball 3 times per qtr...or like once a drive. how is he supposed to establish a rythum with that frequency? Like okay - you've been turning around and handing he ball off for the last 20 plays, now you need to throw downfield 15-20 yards...or throw an 8-10 yard out or dig on a rope...when you haven't been reading the defense all day now you need to just flip the switch. Not to mention, it's not like he's put in a situation to make high percentage throws when he does have to throw it...2nd and 3rd and medium/long are situational downs that allow the defense to play one dimension a lot harder than the other.

if we had to pass bc our run game was doing that poorly, i have total confidence in Sticks ability to lead a drive with just his arm.

With that being said, i think we run for 250+ over the next 2 games and Stick's passing attempts will stay in the low teens.

I agree his arm hasn't been needed the last few games but he was just on that game. Hitting deep passes that he hasn't completed the last few weeks.

Professor Chaos
11-08-2016, 04:37 PM
Good points, but to be honest NDSU's passing game has not been very good lately so the run game had to be productive or a couple of the last 3 games would have been losses.
Yep, no argument there. What's interesting is if you look at the PDF I posted in post #31 even though the Bison are 9th in the conference in passing yards per game they're 2nd in team pass efficiency. I think that says more about the rest of the conference though because anyone who's watched the Bison play the whole conference schedule to this point can't really call the passing game all that efficient.

Regardless though, Easton Stick may very well end up 2nd team all-MVFC at QB. So despite his obvious struggles he's still a better option than most everyone in the MVFC outside of SDSU has.

G_Funky
11-08-2016, 04:47 PM
i really hope (and anticipate) the bison come out and smack the sycamores in the mouth. isu-b is horrible defensively against the run and it sounds like (based on the vibes from their bc after the uni throttling) they've all but totally checked out for the season. hopefully the boys are licking their chops a bit and can sense the blood in the water.

i will be satisfied with a mark in the good column, but i really would like to see a curb stomping.

X-Factor
11-08-2016, 08:32 PM
Yep, no argument there. What's interesting is if you look at the PDF I posted in post #31 even though the Bison are 9th in the conference in passing yards per game they're 2nd in team pass efficiency. I think that says more about the rest of the conference though because anyone who's watched the Bison play the whole conference schedule to this point can't really call the passing game all that efficient.

Regardless though, Easton Stick may very well end up 2nd team all-MVFC at QB. So despite his obvious struggles he's still a better option than most everyone in the MVFC outside of SDSU has.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but Stick is not even in the convo, IMO. #2 will go to McGuire, #3 would be the QB we see this weekend, followed by maybe Stick and even at #4 I'm not sure, depends on turnovers these last 2 weeks.

Professor Chaos
11-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Not to be a Debbie downer, but Stick is not even in the convo, IMO. #2 will go to McGuire, #3 would be the QB we see this weekend, followed by maybe Stick and even at #4 I'm not sure, depends on turnovers these last 2 weeks.
Meh... whatever. If he is it'll probably be a little bit of a surprise even to us so I have no problems if he's not. There's just not a lot of good QB play in the MVFC this year. Which is quite the contrast considering Carson Wentz never even made 2nd team the last two years because guys like Roberson and Ianotti were putting up ridiculous numbers (of course Wentz being injured the majority of the conference season last year probably had more to do with that).

Bison03
11-08-2016, 09:18 PM
What is the obsession with inflated passing yards all of a sudden?! You guys know what Bison football is all about right? Running the ball and great defense. Do you realize that Carson Wentz...yes Carson Wentz had ONE game in his college career where he threw for over 300 yards and 13 where he threw under 200!! This aint the Big Sky. We are winning games this year the same way we were winning games the previous 5.

semobison
11-08-2016, 11:30 PM
What is the obsession with inflated passing yards all of a sudden?! You guys know what Bison football is all about right? Running the ball and great defense. Do you realize that Carson Wentz...yes Carson Wentz had ONE game in his college career where he threw for over 300 yards and 13 where he threw under 200!! This aint the Big Sky. We are winning games this year the same way we were winning games the previous 5.

154 ypg in Valley play this year down from 192 ypg last season and easily the lowest avg. since we started winning Nattys. Yes, this is a concern. We're going to need more balance if we want number 6.

X-Factor
11-08-2016, 11:41 PM

Point to one response in this entire thread that has an "obsession with inflated passing yards"?!! All we have basically talked about is being efficient in the passing game (Bohl said many times that a WCO QB needs to be 65% or better and low turnovers - this is still true to our offense today). Recently we have not been efficient - something to work on as we enter the playoffs!!

wagsabison
11-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Point to one response in this entire thread that has an "obsession with inflated passing yards"?!! All we have basically talked about is being efficient in the passing game (Bohl said many times that a WCO QB needs to be 65% or better and low turnovers - this is still true to our offense today). Recently we have not been efficient - something to work on as we enter the playoffs!!

I agree, most the discussion has been with how we want Easton completing the passes that he is capable of completing and should be completing. Not throwing for 300+ yards.

Bison03
11-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Stick's worst % of the season has been 50% and he is throwing for 59% for the season. I think he has been pretty good, not great. Hoping the next two games will allow him to get him prepared for playoffs.

NEBison
11-09-2016, 04:59 PM
i would guess this weekend's game will be a lot like last week on Offense. Not much creativity just good hard nosed football

StL Bison Fan
11-09-2016, 05:50 PM
I did something I seldom do- went and peeked at their fan forum. Sadly, under the und moving thread there was some advocating giving up football.
I know it is the home of Larry B, they love basketball, but geez. I'm sure the team hasn't packed it in but the fan support isnt there. It wasnt there last year when we went there.

Christopher Moen
11-09-2016, 08:04 PM
I did something I seldom do- went and peeked at their fan forum. Sadly, under the und moving thread there was some advocating giving up football.
I know it is the home of Larry B, they love basketball, but geez. I'm sure the team hasn't packed it in but the fan support isnt there. It wasnt there last year when we went there.

One of our greatest wrestlers, Bruce Baumgartner, who happens to be our (USAW) current president and Edinboro's AD, wrestled for Indiana State, and that didn't stop them from dropping the sport. Athletics isn't well supported there unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBoy
11-10-2016, 11:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW1SY09cQhQ

Have the Trees checked out for the year? Nothing to lose for them. Bison need to keep it rolling like last week against the Pelini brothers. Last regular season home game and Senior Day. Enjoy.

IndyBison
11-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Indiana State has never had a great program so going to games was never a major part of their undergrad experience. For several years now they've played at a stadium away from campus which doesn't help with interest. It's also a very uninspiring stadium. Growing up many of their students were probably IU or Purdue fans and they may still support that team. Until they build a stadium near campus and/or have sustained success I wouldn't expect to see any major improvement in their support. Friends who graduated are happy when they do well, but most don't pay too much attention.

Bison 4 Life
11-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Indiana State has never had a great program so going to games was never a major part of their undergrad experience. For several years now they've played at a stadium away from campus which doesn't help with interest. It's also a very uninspiring stadium. Growing up many of their students were probably IU or Purdue fans and they may still support that team. Until they build a stadium near campus and/or have sustained success I wouldn't expect to see any major improvement in their support. Friends who graduated are happy when they do well, but most don't pay too much attention.

Wow, I had no idea it was that far away. I'd only been there once and now I realize why I hadn't seen much of the campus

IndyBison
11-10-2016, 02:08 PM
Wow, I had no idea it was that far away. I'd only been there once and now I realize why I hadn't seen much of the campus
The stadium belongs to the city and the school uses it. I'm not sure if it has many other uses besides ISU athletics or an occasional high school game.

Gully
11-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Sadly there are quite a few schools like this. My question is then why do they bother being DI or at least why do they bother having football? You'd think they'd be better off spending the money on BB and having fewer Title IX issues / offsets.

StL Bison Fan
11-10-2016, 03:43 PM

far from campus. Close to donuts.

BraxtonT
11-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Sadly there are quite a few schools like this. My question is then why do they bother being DI or at least why do they bother having football? You'd think they'd be better off spending the money on BB and having fewer Title IX issues / offsets.

Unfortunately, this is not just an MVFC observation. FCS as a division consists of a majority of schools with this philosophy. Whether we end up moving to a G5 conference or not, it would be nice to be in a conference with more like-minded schools.

I went to Terre Haute a few years ago. No interest in ever going again, though. It was like being at a high school game. Too bad they get no support, as they have at least put some competitive teams on the field lately.

gumby013
11-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Tree plane stalking time!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CXP700

Hammerhead
11-11-2016, 07:21 PM

Don't D1 schools get a bigger slice of the money from the March Madness TV rights?

gumby013
11-11-2016, 07:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyTNcYy9r3o

MinotBison
11-11-2016, 10:40 PM
If ISUb ranks second to last in conference rushing defense, I kinda like our chances.

CAS4127
11-12-2016, 12:11 AM
Is KF back and or Robbins, or are they GT decision?

kristind
11-12-2016, 01:34 AM
I don't want to start a whole new thread for a simple question...search options were too plentiful and I'm not finding the information needed. So....after living a long ways away this is the first home game I'll have been to since I was in elementary school. Will have my 74 year old father with. I need Parking advice. He has a handicapped sticker, but realistically when should we arrive? I assume by time i wake up in the morning most of you will be tailgating so we should just drive on up for some sort of alcohol laced breakfast??? But really...any advice? I don't mind walking if I can drop him off...couldn't be any more excited to be coming to a game in-house! Just praying they don't lose so I'm not officially banned due to "going off plan" in my normal game day routine......

Bison03
11-12-2016, 03:17 AM
I would park in the east lot at the dome. Its the closest you will be to the tailgate lots. If you have a handicap tag, you will be even closer. Tailgate lots open at 9. Every tailgator is usually a good host. Tell people you havent been to game in forever and they will probably welcome you even more! You will be amazed at the tailgate scene, its first class. Welcome back to the dome. And yes, if we lose...its all your fault!! Ha!!

ndsubison1
11-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Spread is -25.5. O/U is 45.5.

BisonHorns
11-12-2016, 10:46 AM
I see people getting dropped off at the doors all the time. Tell the people at the parking lot gate that is what you want to do. Then park somewhere far far away and walk. Enjoy the game!

bruinbison
11-12-2016, 02:07 PM
When we watch Indiana State senior WR Robert Tonyan (6' 5" 220) today
perhaps we can dream on what current redshirt WR Sean Engel (6' 5" 201) could become......

2,000-YARD CLUB
Senior WR Robert Tonyan Jr. can’t stop making history, as his incredible final season at Indiana State saw another milestone added to the list. With 40 yards and one touchdown on ve catches at No. 14 Youngstown State, Tonyan became just the second Sycamore receiver to ever eclipse the 2,000-yard mark over a career. At 2,029 career yards, sits just 19 yards off Terry Bell’s second place mark of 2,048 and 356 yards off Sam Logan’s record of 2,385. This latest milestone adds to others from this season, such as breaking the all-time career receiving TD record of 15 at Western Illinois (currently at 20 career scores) and tying and breaking the single-season receiving TD record of eight at Southern Illinois (currently at 10 this season).
ALL-TIME LEADER (AND STILL CLIMBING)
Senior WR Robert Tonyan Jr. became Indiana State’s all-time leader in receiving touchdowns at No. 13 Western Illinois on Oct. 8, and did so in truly entertaining fashion. Following a Western score to brie y take back the lead early in the second quarter, Tonyan was in the right place at the right time to haul in an errant Isaac Harker pass intended for WR Clayton Smith, which hit off two different people (including himself) before Tonyan snagged it out of the air behind the secondary with 65 yards of daylight for his 16th career score. With the touchdown, Tonyan broke Joe Downing’s all-time record of 15 set in 1985. Since, Tonyan has extended the career record to 20 TDs.

Gully
11-12-2016, 07:15 PM
Is anyone having trouble with ESPN3 at the moment? I can't get any games to stream.

tony
11-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Is anyone having trouble with ESPN3 at the moment? I can't get any games to stream.

Yep. I think that it's down.

Christopher Moen
11-12-2016, 07:28 PM
All of it is down. Good thing I have NDSU All Access.