PDA

View Full Version : Women's 2016-2017 Season

roadwarrior
11-03-2016, 02:03 PM
The new season starts tonight at 7pm at the SHAC with an exhibition against Bemidji

Lots of new players this season and I have heard none will redshirt

FR - Anna Goodhope 5'11" - Sioux Falls, SD
FR - Sarah Jacobson 5'8" - West Fargo, ND
FR - Autumn Ogden 5'11" - Marshall, WI
FR - Rylee Nudell 5'10" - Buffalo, ND
FR - Tyrah Spencer 5'9" - Oakdale, MN
FR - Reilly Jacobson 6'2" - Waukee, IA
SO - Megan Gamble 5'7" - Omaha, NE
SO - Kennedy Childers 5'9" - Johnston, IA
JR - Taylor Thunstedt 5'8" - Spicer, MN
SR - Hannah Breske 5'11" - Casselton, ND
SR - Emily Spier 6'1" - Buffalo, MN
SR - Brianna Jones 6'1" - Indianapolis, IN

Mr Meaty
11-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Good Luck tonight ladies, Go out and have fun and play hard. This is the start of something special.

HoopsBison
11-03-2016, 03:23 PM
Program needs something good to happen to them. Time to start winning and it starts tonight!

El_Chapo
11-03-2016, 03:39 PM
The new season starts tonight at 7pm at the SHAC with an exhibition against Bemidji

Lots of new players this season and I have heard none will redshirt

FR - Anna Goodhope 5'11" - Sioux Falls, SD
FR - Sarah Jacobson 5'8" - West Fargo, ND
FR - Autumn Ogden 5'11" - Marshall, WI
FR - Rylee Nudell 5'10" - Buffalo, ND
FR - Tyrah Spencer 5'9" - Oakdale, MN
FR - Reilly Jacobson 6'2" - Waukee, IA
SO - Megan Gamble 5'7" - Omaha, NE
SO - Kennedy Childers 5'9" - Johnston, IA
JR - Taylor Thunstedt 5'8" - Spicer, MN
SR - Hannah Breske 5'11" - Casselton, ND
SR - Emily Spier 6'1" - Buffalo, MN
SR - Brianna Jones 6'1" - Indianapolis, IN

not 1 Twin Cities recruit? isnt coach from Bloomington?? wow.mm

Bisonator98
11-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Might take some time but I think we have the players to turn this program around.

roadwarrior
11-03-2016, 07:22 PM
not 1 Twin Cities recruit? isnt coach from Bloomington?? wow.mm

Tyrah Spencer played at Bloomington Kennedy HS

BFKasper14
11-04-2016, 12:24 AM
Anybody know the starters; how the game is going so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruinbison
11-04-2016, 12:38 AM

35-15 Bison
5:50 to play 2nd Qtr

BSU picked to finish 14th in conference (7-20 last season)

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/mobile/?id=146516

79-59 final

PattyBison
11-04-2016, 01:05 AM

Thunstedt, Jones, Breske, Jacobson, Spencer.

Mr Meaty
11-04-2016, 02:08 AM
Was unable to listen to the game. Any comments on how they played?

roadwarrior
11-04-2016, 02:55 AM
Was surprised to see Breske start since she barely played any minutes last season. Gamble and Childers were in street clothes. Everyone else played and everybody scored. Jones had a great game and had 19. Spencer was solid as a point guard. Sarah (10pts) and Thunstedt (14pts) looked good. Great defense in the second quarter by everyone, but seemed to slip away somewhat in the last two quarters.

imabison
11-04-2016, 03:07 AM
Was surprised to see Breske start since she barely played any minutes last season. Gamble and Childers were in street clothes. Everyone else played and everybody scored. Jones had a great game and had 19. Spencer was solid as a point guard. Sarah (10pts) and Thunstedt (14pts) looked good. Great defense in the second quarter by everyone, but seemed to slip away somewhat in the last two quarters.
lots of promise, definitely better shooting inside by Jones, and Spicer, Riley Jacobson looks to be good also.

Tony Almeida
11-04-2016, 08:48 PM
All the freshman looked good to me, I think the future for women's basketball is going to be bright...Jacobson, Nudell, Ogden all looked sharp, just what you would expect out of freshman with high hopes and Tyrah Spencer surprised me the most, she is going to be good...great ball handler and she has got some good moves... Reilly Jacobson looked a little slow to me but her skills are there...

For veterans, Taylor Thundstedt is a beast...she can handle the ball, drive to the basket, and can shoot...she has it all. She just looks so smooth compared to everyone else no matter the opponent. Good to know we have her for another year too.

The only thing this team lacks other than experience is height...but we know that is on its way with the verbals for next year.

imabison
11-05-2016, 02:09 AM
All the freshman looked good to me, I think the future for women's basketball is going to be bright...Jacobson, Nudell, Ogden all looked sharp, just what you would expect out of freshman with high hopes and Tyrah Spencer surprised me the most, she is going to be good...great ball handler and she has got some good moves... Reilly Jacobson looked a little slow to me but her skills are there...

For veterans, Taylor Thundstedt is a beast...she can handle the ball, drive to the basket, and can shoot...she has it all. She just looks so smooth compared to everyone else no matter the opponent. Good to know we have her for another year too.

The only thing this team lacks other than experience is height...but we know that is on its way with the verbals for next year.

Might have been first game jitters but Sarah Jacobson seemed to be rushing her shots, but I did not see her in high school so that's just me.

devin45k
11-08-2016, 08:23 PM
According to Massey ratings, the Women's team is only predicted to win 3 games this year. 2 of those wins are against NAIA teams.

devin45k
11-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Tyrah Spencer played at Bloomington Kennedy HS

This and Oakdale is where she is from. A suburb on the Saint Paul side lol

natstar1
12-31-2016, 08:50 PM
Denver is one of the few teams we were supposed to beat, correct?

dewey
12-31-2016, 08:53 PM
4 point lead for NDSU with 94 seconds to go.

6 point lead.

8 seconds to go NDSU leads by 4.

NDSU wins!

Dewey

Bisonator98
12-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Congrats ladies!

HerdBot
12-31-2016, 09:16 PM
Young talent and team continue to grow getting our first road win in forever against a Denver team who plays pretty well at home.

Despite the tough start to the season which in the big picture means nothing... we are 1-1 in conference play and almost knocked off SDSU. The growth of our young players continues! Nice job ladies! We're finally building something!

Mr Meaty
01-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Young talent and team continue to grow getting our first road win in forever against a Denver team who plays pretty well at home.

Despite the tough start to the season which in the big picture means nothing... we are 1-1 in conference play and almost knocked off SDSU. The growth of our young players continues! Nice job ladies! We're finally building something!

100% agree. Continue this play the rest of the way.

bruinbison
01-03-2017, 01:04 PM
South Dakota comes to Fargo Jan 4 at 7:00, led by a 5' 9" sophomore,
Allison Arens. Big challenge. Arens was ESPNW's national player
of the week for her play in home victories over Denver and SDSU.
Coyotes are 13-2 overall, and are at 37 in the RPI.
Midco and ESPN3 game

In conference wins against Denver and archrival South Dakota State this past week, Arens averaged 26 points, eight rebounds and four assists. She shot 90 percent on 30 free throw attempts and turned over the ball just three times in 80 minutes.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18394333/south-dakota-coyotes-allison-arens-espnw-player-week

Mr Meaty
01-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Big game tonight. Go out and compete hard, play well and get the victory. Go Bison!!! Go 1-0 for the day.

Mr Meaty
01-29-2017, 12:14 PM
I looked at stats for season to date compared to full season last year. FG % is down down slightly, 3 or % down less than Fg % and FT % down slightly as well. Rebounds are up and also lead conference in this stat. Assists per game are up slightly and turnovers are down slightly. Of the 200 minutes a a game our freshmen are logging 111.9 of them. Just off in some shooting stats with freshmen logging a lot of minutes, not bad. Again next year we need to see more improvement on shooting and overall defensive effort. I think future is looking bright. Some good height coming in next year. This year freshmen are contributing next will need to also.

Bisonionette
01-30-2017, 12:49 AM
Comparing anything to last year as a benchmark? Last year was probably the worst season ever. And this season is no better. Well slightly? The freshman lack division 1 skills. They are in desperate need of fundamental coaching. But I would have hoped that with all the hype their skill set would be much better coming in. Again comparing to last season? I would think you couldn't get much lower than that so there's only one way to go Watching this season we "look" awkward and actually not as good despite whatever stats you use. The look of this team is very "jv" like

PattyBison
01-30-2017, 12:57 AM
Comparing anything to last year as a benchmark? Last year was probably the worst season ever. And this season is no better. Well slightly? The freshman lack division 1 skills. They are in desperate need of fundamental coaching. But I would have hoped that with all the hype their skill set would be much better coming in. Again comparing to last season? I would think you couldn't get much lower than that so there's only one way to go Watching this season we "look" awkward and actually not as good despite whatever stats you use. The look of this team is very "jv" like

Oh good. You are OK. I was quite concerned when there were a number of people posting positive comments when they were on their winning streak. When you didn't show up with your normal butterflies and sunshine posts, I wondered if something happened to you. Welcome back!

Bisonionette
01-30-2017, 02:08 AM
I don't think it's constructive to be a poly-Anna with unrealism. But good for u

PattyBison
01-30-2017, 02:14 AM
I don't think it's constructive to be a poly-Anna with unrealism. But good for u

I've never been a pollyanna with this team nor any other NDSU programs. So I have no idea from where that comment comes. But attack away! Better to focus your hatred on me than 18 year olds.

Bisonionette
01-30-2017, 06:03 AM
Hatred? Goodness. U seemed as warped as the Ashly Judd Invent a lie. I don't hate anyone. I just try to be realistic Without constructive criticism a program can never move forward if they ignore gaping holes

56BISON73
01-30-2017, 06:05 AM
Hatred? Goodness. U seemed as warped as the Ashly Judd Invent a lie. I don't hate anyone. I just try to be realistic Without constructive criticism a program can never move forward if they ignore gaping holes

So please tell us how your constant supposed constructive criticism on this venue is going to move the program forward?

HerdBot
01-30-2017, 06:55 AM

There is nothing constructive about calling all the coaches and players pieces of shit. (that's basically what your doing)

Believe me, they don't want to lose. By spewing the same verbal diarrhea over and over is just being an asshole. And by refusing to acknowledge anything good is being a douche. It appears you are rooting for them to fail. (or your a troll from another team)

Its obvious to everyone, including Walseth and the young players, that they are not ready yet so repeating it seems kind of counter productive.

Like I seem to repeat week after week.. This year's team will not be judged on wins and losses. The next years team will.

This is accelerated development. These girls probably should have reshirted but we can't afford that luxury since she took over a dumpster fire left by Dehoff.

Today we have the youngest team in D1 basketball. In 3 years we will have the oldest and most experienced team in D1 basketball.

An extreme dumpster fire requires an extreme response. The youth movement is that response. I am confident it will work. All good things take patience and Walseth is doing it the right way.

PattyBison
01-30-2017, 09:56 AM

You aren't constructive. You aren't objective. I don't think you were this bad before but whatever happened with Holly created something incredibly toxic within you. It's quite sad you don't see it because I really believe at one time you wanted to see this program attain success.

Mr Meaty
01-30-2017, 12:10 PM

If you think "unrealism" would be continued progress as a team and more wins next and continue to build on that in years to come is "unrealism" then paint us all Poly-Anna for hoping this happens and see some progress this year already. I guess beating USD was not a good win. Winning 3 conference games in a row was terrible. Yes current losing streak suck since they are blowouts. Rome was not built in a day. It is always darkest before the dawn.

Bisonionette
01-31-2017, 08:13 PM
Before the season started I said we'd have at least 4 conference wins as Ft Wayne and Denver are totally putrid. Less than four wins would be horrible. Nice upset against Yotes. But I think, realistically, that was a fluke, as all teams have fantastic nights and all teams suffer bad nights. Our coach just isn't very good, and internally, few respect her in that capacity. nuff said. And, in my opinion this team is as bad as last season, lacking skill development, poor on court decisions, and wins. As WE love our Bison, I can't accept this, going into year four with this coach's lack of success. What grade would you give her?

PattyBison
01-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Before the season started I said we'd have at least 4 conference wins as Ft Wayne and Denver are totally putrid. Less than four wins would be horrible. Nice upset against Yotes. But I think, realistically, that was a fluke, as all teams have fantastic nights and all teams suffer bad nights. Our coach just isn't very good, and internally, few respect her in that capacity. nuff said. And, in my opinion this team is as bad as last season, lacking skill development, poor on court decisions, and wins. As WE love our Bisons, I can't accept this, going into year four with this coach's lack of success. What grade would you give her?

You are actually asking instead of accusing us of wearing green and gold glasses? Wow.

Since you asked, my grade on the coach? Right now it is still TBD. It's my observation of wbb that most recruiting is done 2 years before graduation. So, I think this year is truly her first start to finish class. I am disappointed she hasn't brought in more transfers to plug holes, however if she wants to build with freshmen, I can understand that. I also wish our current crop of freshmen had a year in the weight room before redshirting. But my other comments apply to that too. I am somewhat concerned this year but am prepared to stay the course and see what occurs next year.

Irregardless of whether she turns it around however, you will not see me posting comments that tear her apart after every game. I also don't tear apart players. It's not my style. I will always be supportive of Bison teams irregardless of record.

Oh and Bison not bisons.

Mr Meaty
01-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Before the season started I said we'd have at least 4 conference wins as Ft Wayne and Denver are totally putrid. Less than four wins would be horrible. Nice upset against Yotes. But I think, realistically, that was a fluke, as all teams have fantastic nights and all teams suffer bad nights. Our coach just isn't very good, and internally, few respect her in that capacity. nuff said. And, in my opinion this team is as bad as last season, lacking skill development, poor on court decisions, and wins. As WE love our Bisons, I can't accept this, going into year four with this coach's lack of success. What grade would you give her?

Well I am not sure how to answer this. Since I can not compare last year to this year statistically to see if any progress or regression. If I looked at it in a singular season. C- or D+. Reason is that I do wonder at times with her player rotations and situational basketball at times. But I put some of lack of success on the assistant coaching staff as well and the youth of this team. I know when I played in high school, I though I knew the game of basketball. If I could go back and play it over I would be a lot better of a player. I have learned so much more since my playing days. Yes at times this teams does lack execution of basic concepts. I would like to see them play less man defense. Problem with that is a lot of kids now a days do not know how to play zone. As stated before next year is a big year for the team and coaches. Need to be competitive ....

dufferole
01-31-2017, 10:07 PM
Before the season started I said we'd have at least 4 conference wins as Ft Wayne and Denver are totally putrid. Less than four wins would be horrible. Nice upset against Yotes. But I think, realistically, that was a fluke, as all teams have fantastic nights and all teams suffer bad nights. Our coach just isn't very good, and internally, few respect her in that capacity. nuff said. And, in my opinion this team is as bad as last season, lacking skill development, poor on court decisions, and wins. As WE love our Bison, I can't accept this, going into year four with this coach's lack of success. What grade would you give her?

I am sure you won't name the internal few that don't respect her, but what do your sources give as their opinions on her coaching? Were any of these few involved in her hiring?

Bisonionette
01-31-2017, 11:29 PM
You are actually asking instead of accusing us of wearing green and gold glasses? Wow.

Since you asked, my grade on the coach? Right now it is still TBD. It's my observation of wbb that most recruiting is done 2 years before graduation. So, I think this year is truly her first start to finish class. I am disappointed she hasn't brought in more transfers to plug holes, however if she wants to build with freshmen, I can understand that. I also wish our current crop of freshmen had a year in the weight room before redshirting. But my other comments apply to that too. I am somewhat concerned this year but am prepared to stay the course and see what occurs next year.

Irregardless of whether she turns it around however, you will not see me posting comments that tear her apart after every game. I also don't tear apart players. It's not my style. I will always be supportive of Bison teams irregardless of record.

Oh and Bison not bisons.

Is Irregardless a word?

PattyBison
01-31-2017, 11:34 PM
Is Irregardless a word?

That's all you got?

Bisonionette
01-31-2017, 11:54 PM
That's all you got?

sweetheart, you corrected me... so I can't pull the same nonsense on you? sheeesh

56BISON73
02-01-2017, 12:56 AM

Year 4? Its her 3rd I believe. Considering the dumpster fire shitshow she inherited you arent going to turn that around over night.

Bisonionette
02-01-2017, 01:12 AM
Stupidity reigns down. "Going into year 4". That would mean going into next season. My goodness.

Bisonator98
02-01-2017, 01:25 AM
You aren't constructive. You aren't objective. I don't think you were this bad before but whatever happened with Holly created something incredibly toxic within you. It's quite sad you don't see it because I really believe at one time you wanted to see this program attain success.

Actually it was way before the HJ situation. She was ragging on Walseth from the first press conference I believe. I'm guessing she wanted someone else to get the job. She might get her wish if Walseth doesn't get this thing turned around.

PattyBison
02-01-2017, 01:39 AM
Actually it was way before the HJ situation. She was ragging on Walseth from the first press conference I believe. I'm guessing she wanted someone else to get the job. She might get her wish if Walseth doesn't get this thing turned around.

Oh wow. Didn't realize that. If that's the case, I need to reconsider some of my prior comments. I had just assumed she was a supporter frustrated after many years of hardship. But if she really is/was a supporter, I can't reconcile the attitude. Even if your man/woman didn't get the job, how can you not hope for success of the program? It's as though she takes joy when they struggle.

Thanks for clarifying. It explains a lot.

Mr Meaty
02-01-2017, 01:44 AM
Oh wow. Didn't realize that. If that's the case, I need to reconsider some of my prior comments. I had just assumed she was a supporter frustrated after many years of hardship. But if she really is/was a supporter, I can't reconcile the attitude. Even if your man/woman didn't get the job, how can you not hope for success of the program? It's as though she takes joy when they struggle.

I see this everyday somewhere about someone.

dufferole
02-01-2017, 01:59 AM
So how do the internal people convey their lack of respect to MW? Bring it out in the open. Do you just hate for hating sake or do you have a story?

56BISON73
02-01-2017, 02:26 AM
Stupidity reigns down. "Going into year 4". That would mean going into next season. My goodness.

So you are already ragging on next year? JFC talk about stupidity Plus you mentioning internal disrespect is douchebaggery at it finest..

Hammersmith
02-01-2017, 03:04 AM

She was a massive DeHoff supporter for the longest time. Absolutely refused to see anything negative. Everything was always about injuries, and the players to fix things were always just around the corner. In fact, there's more than a few hints that she was connected to one of the those up and coming players(maybe Brooke Lemar?).

Something changed late in 2013 and she went from hatred of anyone who said anything bad about DeHoff, to hatred of DeHoff and the entire team. It only took her about two months to start disliking MW.

All in all, she just seems like an angry person. Just go back and read her posts; at least 90% are negative about something or someone(and the other 10% are mostly about Lemar). We need to keep her and SDBison apart or else they might combine and create the first rage-fueled black hole.

Bisonionette
02-01-2017, 02:19 PM
Gotta love this. My motivations are simple. I state the obvious. Call out mismanagement. Call out poor coaching And finally personality flaws and basic people skills. I see our players frustrated and in some cases angry. I see win totals that are frankly embarrassing I see an rpi ranking consistently in the 300s I see turnovers up the kazoo. I see poor handles from her recruits. And you aren't scared we are running into another Dehoff era of failure. Give her time. Give her time. I would if she demonstrated a plan. I would if she redshirted a couple of these freshman. That would give me an indication she has long term goals. Instead these kids are learning how to lose, and lose on a consistent basis. Trying to figure me out? Put the same effort into where you honestly think this team is headed under this leadership. And about Lemar..... Since Dehoff and walseth have been running this debacle Lemar and thunstedt are the only d1 level kids I've seen here. Who else ? It's not slamming or hating. It's working with, and coaching who is recruited to play at this level. So sit back and watch another sub .500 team. Oh hell,sub ten win team flounder. It's shocking how tolerant some are here and not calling for the coaches head to roll

Bisonator98
02-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Gotta love this. My motivations are simple. I state the obvious. Call out mismanagement. Call out poor coaching And finally personality flaws and basic people skills. I see our players frustrated and in some cases angry. I see win totals that are frankly embarrassing I see an rpi ranking consistently in the 300s I see turnovers up the kazoo. I see poor handles from her recruits. And you aren't scared we are running into another Dehoff era of failure. Give her time. Give her time. I would if she demonstrated a plan. I would if she redshirted a couple of these freshman. That would give me an indication she has long term goals. Instead these kids are learning how to lose, and lose on a consistent basis. Trying to figure me out? Put the same effort into where you honestly think this team is headed under this leadership. And about Lemar..... Since Dehoff and walseth have been running this debacle Lemar and thunstedt are the only d1 level kids I've seen here. Who else ? It's not slamming or hating. It's working with, and coaching who is recruited to play at this level. So sit back and watch another sub .500 team. Oh hell,sub ten win team flounder. It's shocking how tolerant some are here and not calling for the coaches head to roll

You want to fire coaches after 2 years? The program will never get turned around like that, it'll just be a revolving door. You couldn't even congratulate the team when they won 3 in a row, you still found things to nit pick. You want to throw true freshmen under the bus and dismiss them because they aren't able to compete against 2-3 year players? They are frickin 9 months removed from high school! None of us are happy where the program is but you have to at least give a coaching staff 3-4 years. This was Walseth's first real recruiting class to transform it to her team. Next seasons recruits look very promising as well. If there isn't significant improvement next season I will join you on the call for a coaching change. The constant negativity just gets old.

Bisonionette
02-01-2017, 03:16 PM
This is her third year, and a third year in the toilet, this is her team, less two players (spier and thunstedt), going into year FOUR with seemingly hoplessness. And not throwing any freshman under the bus, I said at least two of em could have been redshirted as they are woefully undersized and lack skills to compete at this level, even as freshman, at a freshman level. I would have hoped that after having them for this long (since last summer) their skill set and handles would look better.

My last post on this thread, so fire away I won't be baited back into inane debates with you.

56BISON73
02-02-2017, 05:08 AM

Of course this is just your opinion. So I ask---what are your credentials? Have you played this game at a high level? If so where? Are you a coach? Former coach? Where do you derive your supposed expertise?

dufferole
02-03-2017, 12:23 AM
This is her third year, and a third year in the toilet, this is her team, less two players (spier and thunstedt), going into year FOUR with seemingly hoplessness. And not throwing any freshman under the bus, I said at least two of em could have been redshirted as they are woefully undersized and lack skills to compete at this level, even as freshman, at a freshman level. I would have hoped that after having them for this long (since last summer) their skill set and handles would look better.

My last post on this thread, so fire away I won't be baited back into inane debates with you.

I can't argue with the record. They are not a good team. I am hoping that the young ones bounce back next year with the influx of tall players. Maybe I am a hopeless optimist, but I have followed the women's for 30 some years through thick and (lately) thin. Next year should be an improvement. I will not give up on any Bison team. For better or worse, they all are my teams.