PDA

View Full Version : WIU Post Game Thoughts

Kevin
10-23-2016, 02:02 AM
1) Run Stick more. Yes I know there's an injury risk but he gives us a spark when we need it.
2) Nice to see the TE's involved more. But it's not enough.
3) Defense really struggled getting off the field on third down again but it was nice to see two goal line stands back to back.
4) Secondary still suspect.
5) Punting still terrible.
6) It was also good to see that last drive. It's what we wanted but didn't get against SDSU last week. Just run the damn ball.
7) I'm excited for next week as I still hate UNI.
8) I really hate UNI.

Bisonator98
10-23-2016, 02:07 AM
1) Run Stick more. Yes I know there's an injury risk but he gives us a spark when we need it.
2) Nice to see the TE's involved more. But it's not enough.
3) Defense really struggled getting off the field on third down again but it was nice to see two goal line stands back to back.
4) Secondary still suspect.
5) Punting still terrible.
6) It was also good to see that last drive. It's what we wanted but didn't get against SDSU last week. Just run the damn ball.
7) I'm excited for next week as I still hate UNI.
8) I really hate UNI.

1. I agree and besides he's not that great a passer anyway.
2. Yeah where have they been all year?
3. Defense is going to play bend but don't break. We just have to live with that for now.
4. Exactly why we are doing #3
5. Awful, seriously they need to hold an open tryout or something.
6. But get the damn first down and put the game away.
7. I'm concerned about next week and hate UNI.
8. Me too.

BisonFan02
10-23-2016, 02:08 AM
UNI by 3+ scores next week. This time, they don't rush the field though.

wagsabison
10-23-2016, 02:09 AM
Was there another crappy punt beyond the 17 yarder? Remember the spring game and whoever they put back there couldn't even catch the damn ball on the snap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin
10-23-2016, 02:12 AM

It will be interesting to see which qb plays.

Was Bailey hurt or did they bench him?

HerdBot
10-23-2016, 02:19 AM
2nd game in a row we lost TOP and played bend but don't break defense except out red zone D was awesome and we created some turnovers .

We are lucky to win a game that we throw 2 picks, can't sustain drives, miss field goals due to terrible snaps and holds, stupid penalties, soft 3rd down defense, and bad punting.

Red zone defense kicked ass. So did field goal unit

This team feels like the same team who lost to USD. Good news is we figured shit out and peaked late.

Coming out of the locker room in the 3rd we looked like we were going through the motions.

Better get ready for UNI who always seems to create some sort of QB controversy when playing us. We know darn well we will see Bailey in some capacity

BisonFan02
10-23-2016, 02:21 AM

Benched. Dunne is the future.

GOBISON123
10-23-2016, 02:22 AM

Both Eli Dunn and Bailey will play.

Eli Dunn will start the game and will be in for most of the plays. If they are in the Red Zone and in 2nd short or 3rd and short they will run the ball and Bailey will check in for Eli Dunn.

tolnabison
10-23-2016, 02:22 AM
Benched. Dunne is the future.

One would expect to see them use both though the way the QB run game has hurt us. Although Dunne looked really good today.

CalBison97
10-23-2016, 02:23 AM
1. Our offense has given them nothing on tape to study. Time to open it up for UNI.

2. I hope UNI comes in overconfident. I would be if I were them.

3. 6 of our 7 opponents have been Top 25 (includes Iowa). We really should be happy to be sitting at 6-1.

3logan86
10-23-2016, 02:24 AM
Dom Davis in nickel look better than having Plank in to anybody else?

89MTBISON
10-23-2016, 02:29 AM
King Frazier couldn't run away from my grandma, and she is dead. Pretty unimaginative play calling in the second half, we are being outcoached.

Bisonator98
10-23-2016, 02:32 AM
1. Our offense has given them nothing on tape to study. Time to open it up for UNI.

3. 6 of our 7 opponents have been Top 25 (includes Iowa). We really should be happy to be sitting at 6-1.

I hope that's the case but I'll believe it when I see it.

BisonHorns
10-23-2016, 02:32 AM
I say we are being out coached in the second half. Stivk cant be that bad at passing that we have to run into a loaded box constantly.

Bisonator98
10-23-2016, 02:33 AM
I say we are being out coached in the second half. Stivk cant be that bad at passing that we have to run into a loaded box constantly.

Did you see those 2 interceptions?

bisonp
10-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Held them to 269 yards on offense. Defense played decent, considering this is yet another pretty good offense.

Offense was terrible, like they can't find their identity. Take away those two picks and Stick had a great day. But those picks...ouch. And penalties were bad.

It's been a tough schedule and to be 6-1 at this point is OK. This team can beat anybody and has yet to play their best football.

td577
10-23-2016, 02:37 AM

I was thinking a lot of the same things while watching this game. WIU is a good team, but we stayed vanilla on both side of the ball. I think a lot of it still has to do with guys getting fundamentals down, but there will be a time to open it up and UNI may a good point to start turning it up.

1. Addressed a little bit already, but while running up the middle was more effective tonight, I think we can run at will on anyone off-tackle. When we did run off-tackle, the Bison were a 1/2 step away from long TD runs. I have to think TP knows this and is keeping those plays in his pocket. Just a taste here and there.

2. UNI should feel pretty good about next Saturday. NDSU has looked vulnerable, has lost a game to the bunnies, and they built their program around matching up against the Bison.

3. By the end of the season, a majority of the schedule will have been played against FBS or playoff teams. Take care of business one week at a time and see what happens.

GOBISON123
10-23-2016, 02:41 AM
One would expect to see them use both though the way the QB run game has hurt us. Although Dunne looked really good today.

UNI QB Coach is Collin Klein. He graduated by the time Bison played K-State in 2013 I saw him on the sidelines during that game. As a graduate assistant at K-State, he worked with Jake Waters and Daniel Sims. So I am expecting Eli Dunne as their main QB and Aaron Bailey start under center when they plan for run plays.

http://www.unipanthers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=546&path=football

Vet70
10-23-2016, 02:41 AM
Remember in the past when some posters were incessantly complaining about how boring the games were when we were blowing out every team? Well,---:rofl:

SoCalBison
10-23-2016, 02:50 AM
Remember in the past when some posters were incessantly complaining about how boring the games were when we were blowing out every team? Well,---:rofl:

I like blowouts. Much harder to get up for a slugfest with Southeastern North Bugtussle U.

Today again exposed our weaknesses. Seems like Easton has struggled since Carson came back. Passing game has been off. Defense is playing conservative. We need to get back to Domination soon or we won't go far in the post-season.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 02:58 AM

Agreed..............

Assuming we have something to open up. I don't think we have anything else to show.

3. 6 of our 7 opponents have been Top 25 (includes Iowa). We really should be happy to be sitting at 6-1

Yes, we should. Not because of competition, but because we are not very good.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 03:00 AM

King Frazier couldn't run away from my grandma, and she is dead. Pretty unimaginative play calling in the second half, we are being outcoached.

We are not being outcoached, it just looks that way because we are being outmanned. We not as good as we think we are.

ZHerd
10-23-2016, 03:00 AM
I was thinking a lot of the same things while watching this game. WIU is a good team, but we stayed vanilla on both side of the ball. I think a lot of it still has to do with guys getting fundamentals down, but there will be a time to open it up and UNI may a good point to start turning it up.

1. Addressed a little bit already, but while running up the middle was more effective tonight, I think we can run at will on anyone off-tackle. When we did run off-tackle, the Bison were a 1/2 step away from long TD runs. I have to think TP knows this and is keeping those plays in his pocket. Just a taste here and there.

2. UNI should feel pretty good about next Saturday. NDSU has looked vulnerable, has lost a game to the bunnies, and they built their program around matching up against the Bison.

3. By the end of the season, a majority of the schedule will have been played against FBS or playoff teams. Take care of business one week at a time and see what happens.

NDSU's offense isn't good enough to "open it up" against any good defense. I'm glad the D looked decent today though. I think UNI will beat us handily (won't be close) but I still have hopes this team can put it together better before playoff time.

Olton Hall
10-23-2016, 03:02 AM
Seems like Easton has struggled since Carson came back. Passing game has been off. That's why I said a couple week ago we were going to have 6 quarters of less than good play. Carson has a positive influence on them when he's there and then they seem lost when he's gone and it takes a while to find their own way. Sadly I was incorrect on only 6 quarters :(

Bison4x
10-23-2016, 03:03 AM
Does anyone else feel surprised when our offense gets a first down? That second half was brutal.

NDSUstudent
10-23-2016, 03:03 AM
Easton ran a lot last year, a ton. He isn't running as much this year, I am sure the coaches don't want him taking a lot of hits but his legs add a huge dynamic to the offense.

EC8CH
10-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Think Bison are less athletic on the o line than they used to be and it's preventing them from closing out games running the ball.

wagsabison
10-23-2016, 03:09 AM
Offense just isn't executing like it should. Not counting this team out yet. Hopefully we see a lot of improvement over the next month

Bisonator98
10-23-2016, 03:09 AM
I like blowouts. Much harder to get up for a slugfest with Southeastern North Bugtussle U.

Today again exposed our weaknesses. Seems like Easton has struggled since Carson came back. Passing game has been off. Defense is playing conservative. We need to get back to Domination soon or we won't go far in the post-season.

Stick was deadly in that game against ISUr with Carson in the box.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 03:11 AM

Our offense is pathetic. 0 points in the second half. 0 points in the fourth quarter vs. SDSU. Pathetic.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 03:13 AM

Yeah, because they suck not because Carson was in the box.

reformedUNDfan
10-23-2016, 03:14 AM
part of while the offense is struggling is due to injury. Robbins was looking like we weren't going to miss a beat at FB.

Can UNI throw this year? Because if not they aren't going to win.

Bisonwinagn
10-23-2016, 03:14 AM

Those same people now think we suck!!!!!!

Bisonwinagn
10-23-2016, 03:16 AM
part of while the offense is struggling is due to injury. Robbins was looking like we weren't going to miss a beat at FB.

Can UNI throw this year? Because if not they aren't going to win.

They threw for 418 yards today with a new QB just in time for NDSU.

GFBison
10-23-2016, 03:16 AM

Maybe if he kept running he seems to pause like he wants to deliver a straight arm.

No_Skill
10-23-2016, 03:23 AM
They threw for 418 yards today with a new QB just in time for NDSU.

True, but do you think Mo St. had gameplanned for that at all? We at least know its coming.

BadlandsBison
10-23-2016, 03:25 AM
Advantage pansies next week. I hate to say it

CaBisonFan
10-23-2016, 03:28 AM
We're in a mid-season funk...but the real question is..."is anyone enjoying themselves?" (That applies to the players also.)

Bison20
10-23-2016, 03:32 AM
This team is missing that killer instinct so far. They had it 4 and 1 and couldn't put the game away. They moved the ball down the field on the blocked punt but stalled. Needed to keep grinding for a td. I also thought that was a horrible call on rj's after a big gain to shep. He hit the defender right at the hip. Went from 1st down to 1st and 22 from deep in wiu territory. Once again our punter was awful.

EC8CH
10-23-2016, 03:36 AM
MJ Stumpf is a bad bad man.

Bisonator98
10-23-2016, 03:36 AM
Yeah, because they suck not because Carson was in the box.

My point was Carson has nothing to do with it.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 03:38 AM
This team is missing that killer instinct so far. They had it 4 and 1 and couldn't put the game away. They moved the ball down the field on the blocked punt but stalled. Needed to keep grinding for a td. I also thought that was a horrible call on rj's after a big gain to shep. He hit the defender right at the hip. Went from 1st down to 1st and 22 from deep in wiu territory. Once again our punter was awful.

No way, he's great. We lead the nation in defending return yards, or whatever the eff you call it.

stevdock
10-23-2016, 03:39 AM
Bisonville the night of a game win or lose is absolutely ridiculous. We just played a very good team and beat a very good team. God forbid we ever give the other team any credit. We are the 5 time defending champs. Why wouldn't we get their best game??

I still fully believe we have more talent than anyone else in the league, but here's the problem with what we've built. The other teams in our conference see it more than most, and have upped their recruiting and strength programs. I don't believe we've taken a step backwards. Instead the rest of the conference has taken massive leaps forward. In fact, if the playoff committee has the guts to do the right thing and spread out the MVFC teams, I believe the Valley can sweep all four spots in the semi's.

If you don't believe our team is still going on a long playoff run and end up in Frisco, I'd gladly take your season tickets off your hands for you.

GOBISON123
10-23-2016, 03:50 AM
Bisonville the night of a game win or lose is absolutely ridiculous. We just played a very good team and beat a very good team. God forbid we ever give the other team any credit. We are the 5 time defending champs. Why wouldn't we get their best game??

I still fully believe we have more talent than anyone else in the league, but here's the problem with what we've built. The other teams in our conference see it more than most, and have upped their recruiting and strength programs. I don't believe we've taken a step backwards. Instead the rest of the conference has taken massive leaps forward. In fact, if the playoff committee has the guts to do the right thing and spread out the MVFC teams, I believe the Valley can sweep all four spots in the semi's.

If you don't believe our team is still going on a long playoff run and end up in Frisco, I'd gladly take your season tickets off your hands for you.

1) We lead the nation in most penalties per game.
2) Punter Koontz punts the ball for 17 yards and then 45 seconds remaining in the half pooch kicks and offense starts near the 50 yards.
3) 2nd half we have scored 0 points
4) We struggle to convert on 3-1 which was unheard of until 2 years ago.

Yup, I agree with you we are on the right track.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 03:52 AM
2) Punter Koontz punts the ball for 17 yards and then 45 seconds remaining in the half pooch kicks and offense starts near the 50 yards.

Like him or not, he speaks the truth on this one.

stevdock
10-23-2016, 04:09 AM
4) We struggle to convert on 3-1 which was unheard of of 2-3 years ago.

1. Before tonight's game we were 44th in the nation in penalties per game. I didn't look for any updated stats after the game but we'd need at least 30 penalties tonight to take over the top spot. I think we came up a little short.
2. Yep his 17 yard punt was rough and punting for the whole year has been a struggle COMPARED to LeCompte. His average is right around 35 yards per punt with no return yards, which means his net is about or above average. If we lose games because of a punter we have some serious issues.
3. I hate how our offense goes into prevent offense mode in the 2nd half too.
4. Teams are selling out to stop the run and every time that Polacek has called a pass in that situation all the way back to the Montana game it hasn't worked. So until it does work teams are going to sell out and Polacek has got to dial up the right pass play in the right situation to get these teams to honor both run and pass in those situations.

Professor Chaos
10-23-2016, 04:14 AM
Koonce's punting actually hasn't been that bad over the last 3 games all things considered. Yeah, he shanked one tonight but since the MSU game he's averaged 39.5 yards per punt with none of them being returned. Anytime you can get a 40 yard net punt average it's a good effort for the punt unit and they've been right there over the last 3 games.

I was actually a little frustrated with Shepherd tonight returning punts. There was at least one I thought he had a great opportunity to return but he always calls for a fair catch super early. I guess maybe that's what the coaches dictate but he's so good in the open field it would be nice to see him display that on a punt return or three (God knows the offense could use the extra field position).

bljybb3
10-23-2016, 04:24 AM
It wasn't always pretty, but a good win on the road in a game that was pretty critical. Couldn't afford to drop 2 in a row heading into UNI and Youngstown back to back. Offense will definitely need to play better to win next week. Getting Perkins and Bruce back would certainly give the O a lift. Curious as to when they are likely back? Was good to see Malstrom back, as having a traditional FB did seem to help some. The defense is playing better. Yes, still some issues in the secondary and on 3rd downs but can clearly see some improvement. Koonce has also improved. He's not Lecompte but he's been better. RJ with zero catches today is pretty unusual....need to really find ways to get the passing game more efficient next week.

56BISON73
10-23-2016, 04:28 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This

blackdiamond2
10-23-2016, 04:40 AM
Post Game Press Conference with CK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9d5KJqAJGk.

Funny quote about players telling Polasek to run power on the last drive about 3 minutes in.

BadlandsBison
10-23-2016, 04:50 AM
Has anybody watched Texas much this season? The run-pass options they have would be a great set of plays for the Bison. Really good way to grind yards.

Bisonwinagn
10-23-2016, 05:20 AM
The RB are good but not great. They can't break the arm tackles around the legs that Crocket would and go for big runs. They need to continue to get better as well.

HerdBot
10-23-2016, 06:54 AM

Quit making shit up. We rank #44 out of 123 teams in least penalties per game. And last year we were #20 which was awesome. You sound like Hillary Clinton

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

But yes, our offense sucked in the 2nd half but I think we were going conservative and trying to protect a big lead. We failed. And yes, punting was terrible. We are committed more penalties this year but it's still decent numbers. Of course it's still mid season and we're not a finished product.

NDSUBowler
10-23-2016, 07:15 AM

Quit making up stats

Edit: guess i should have read on to see others say same thing

Tony Almeida
10-23-2016, 09:23 AM
My confidence level in Polasek went up a little after this game...the passing game is showing some promise, every pass wasn't a 5 yard out, NDSU actually threw it down the field and used the middle of the field too (I almost pooped my pants when I saw this)...Polasek STILL needs to get the tight ends involved even more, there is no reason a tight end shouldn't share the lead with receptions or/and yards every game...

AND run off the tackles more as well and Easton running the ball is key also.

gizmo
10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Apparently, everybody else is now a "real good team" and our schedule is "brutal". Welcome back to the pack, Bison.

BisonHorns
10-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Apparently, everybody else is now a "real good team" and our schedule is "brutal". Welcome back to the pack, Bison.

If the "pack" is all teams ranked in the top 15, then I guess we are.

1998braves64
10-23-2016, 12:19 PM
I think the defense improved minus some big pass gains... Hopefully someone can figure that out. And also QB runs seem to give us issues too.

Offense was downright awful in the 2nd half. The power run plays the ran in the last series could be used earlier in the half mixed in with some nice conservative pass plays?

Penalties need to be cleaned up. What was with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the first half after a nice run? Kvly never showed a replay of that either.

Kvly must have changed a few things only missed one play coming out of commercial break. Downs and yardage was still suspect, but that might have been influenced by me watching the shanley/hcv game at the same time and they were struggling with that too.

Now we just need to get out of cedar falls with a W and we'll be in good shape.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

BisonHorns
10-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Kvly hardly showed downs and distances ever. It was a guessing game by Timmerman most of the time.

A1pigskin
10-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Offense needs to be scoring in the 2nd half.

NDSU92
10-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Almost forgot why I and most others have a 24 hr rule with Bisonville. We're 5-1 against teams that were in the top 15 when we played them, including Iowa. Is there a ton of room for improvement? Yes, but my God the sky is not falling y'all. In our five year run, there's really only been one year where from start to finish you knew we'd win the natty. Our players and coaches are being faced with adversity and a challenge and history has shown they get it figured out and meet the challenge. Don't feel this year is any different...

A1pigskin
10-23-2016, 01:20 PM
Almost forgot why I and most others have a 24 hr rule with Bisonville. We're 5-1 against teams that were in the top 15 when we played them, including Iowa. Is there a ton of room for improvement? Yes, but my God the sky is not falling y'all. In our five year run, there's really only been one year where from start to finish you knew we'd win the natty. Our players and coaches are being faced with adversity and a challenge and history has shown they get it figured out and meet the challenge. Don't feel this year is any different...

And we have the biggest target on our back.

unbison
10-23-2016, 01:28 PM
I think... everyone here only remembers the greatest of past players... saying any running back consistently ran through arm tackles at the legs???? Saying that this team is less talented???? Questioning coaching of a 5-1 team??? It's hard to read a bunch of spoiled brats whine

Snowgoose
10-23-2016, 01:43 PM
I think... everyone here only remembers the greatest of past players... saying any running back consistently ran through arm tackles at the legs???? Saying that this team is less talented???? Questioning coaching of a 5-1 team??? It's hard to read a bunch of spoiled brats whine

While I agree with your post I felt like yesterday we missed out on lots of big running plays for various reasons. One Frazier is extremely slow and while he has improved his running we just don't have big plays with him. Second I have been a big Dunn proponent but he is not breaking those ankle tackles. This didn't just happen yesterday for him it has happened throughout the year. Third we just haven't run enou off tackle. I called someone at halftime and said wow the play calling is exactly what I had been harping about for a few years by using TE and then more off tackle runs like the second half of Iowa. Then we reverted right back in the second half.

unbison
10-23-2016, 01:45 PM
While I agree with your post I felt like yesterday we missed out on lots of big running plays for various reasons. One Frazier is extremely slow and while he has improved his running we just don't have big plays with him. Second I have been a big Dunn proponent but he is not breaking those ankle tackles. This didn't just happen yesterday for him it has happened throughout the year. Third we just haven't run enou off tackle. I called someone at halftime and said wow the play calling is exactly what I had been harping about for a few years by using TE and then more off tackle runs like the second half of Iowa. Then we reverted right back in the second half.

I get it your right you should be the offensive coordinator

Bison 4 Life
10-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Macomb is a dump. That stadium was DARK, like it seemed to be absorbing whatever light was shined in it. The PA was awful.

I was remarking how it seemed like it was just sucking the life out of us. We yelled a little bit but there just seemed to be a reservation among our fans there until a couple of 3rd and 4th downs.

I can see how easily it is to play uninspired there.

Fun to jaw with the mouthy kids in the band though.

bisonmike2
10-23-2016, 01:59 PM
I was disappointed last night. It's a win, and we should never apologize for that. But there is something about this team that makes me worry. They just can't get all cylinders firing at once. If they do, they're pretty damn good. When they don't, it's a struggle. Luckily for us, when we struggle, it's a loss on the last play of the game. For most, it's a blowout loss. This team seems to lack that killer instinct to just bury the opponent when they get the chance. Maybe they'll get there this year. I guess we'll just have to get to the playoffs and see how things play out.

Snowgoose
10-23-2016, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=unbison;1165077]I get it your right you should be the offensive coordinator

Well maybe your right. I will take that gig. This team is a lot like 2011-12 and I believe we can still win it all just games with decent teams will be extremely close and the margins thin.

I actually think polasek is doing a decent job. However, I am fan and therefore naturally critical of his play calling, but I have wanted a for a few more off tackle plays which we did very successfully in the first half yesterday and only did one with the Rb in the second half which may have gone for a TD with Dunn if kuhnert makes the correct block which he was hitting himself in the head after the play.
Yesterday was a weird game in which it seemed like we were gashing them and then we can't score in the second half. Felt like we were about to break a big one all game.

gumby013
10-23-2016, 02:06 PM
WIU's band is still playing while they are on offense. Some things will never change.

Professor Chaos
10-23-2016, 02:09 PM
These postgame thoughts threads remind of poker players chatting about their day. They remember any bad or big beats with 100% clarity but glaze over the wins. For all the missed plays yesterday how about the made plays? Particularly Plank's goal line forced fumble to preserve the lead (and get the offense a touchback so they weren't pinned inside their own one) and Dempsey's game sealing INT. That's the second time, with EWU being the first, that one of his INTs essentially sealed the game (even though the offense still had to score in the EWU game).

No_Skill
10-23-2016, 02:41 PM
...Stumpf's goal-line TD saving hit on 4th down.

https://media.tenor.co/images/56fce3bcf4847d499c7f69e04ec3e508/raw

1993bison
10-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah, real complicated. Use the entire width of the field in the running game and use the TEs more in the passing game when the opponent stacks the box. For that suggestion some on this board may accuse you of hating our staff.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

EC8CH
10-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure Stick was throwing to a TE on that first pick.

1993bison
10-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Pretty sure Stick was throwing to a TE on that first pick.
Ok, then never throw to a TE again. Problem solved.

gizmo
10-23-2016, 03:09 PM
I was disappointed last night. It's a win, and we should never apologize for that. But there is something about this team that makes me worry. They just can't get all cylinders firing at once. If they do, they're pretty damn good. When they don't, it's a struggle. Luckily for us, when we struggle, it's a loss on the last play of the game. For most, it's a blowout loss. This team seems to lack that killer instinct to just bury the opponent when they get the chance. Maybe they'll get there this year. I guess we'll just have to get to the playoffs and see how things play out.

I agree, but which team are the true Bison? Are they the inspired team that throttled Iowa or the mistake prone outfit that gets outplayed week after week only to win by the narrowest of margins. "Winning ugly" is getting old. Nobody is rolling over before the Bison walk out of the tunnel so it is time to start playing like the Bison.

Vet70
10-23-2016, 03:14 PM
Yeah, real complicated. Use the entire width of the field in the running game and use the TEs more in the passing game when the opponent stacks the box. For that suggestion some on this board may accuse you of hating our staff.

It's not the "suggestions" that get tiring. It's the attitude by some of "Shit On The Coaching Staff/Team No Matter What They Do." We might as well just start that as a separate thread.

Bison 4 Life
10-23-2016, 03:14 PM
At the end of the day, this is still a pretty young team. Regardless of Easton's success last year he had an all time great receiver and a pretty good set of tight ends to choose from.

What's most common attribute of a young team? Mistakes and inconsistency. It's time for the coaches to make their money.

Speaking of, how much are we paying Ben Newman to console our kickers when they fuck up?

HerdBot
10-23-2016, 03:38 PM

This ^^^

Every year we have a few ugly games we squeak a win out of. I remember the WIU game from a few years ago. Road games vs Misery State have been tough. Youngstown. Even SIU last year was tough. But we always seem to peak late in the year or in the playoffs

These close games will make us better down the road. Lots of good take a ways from this game. Dom Davis has a good game which is important

NorthernBison
10-23-2016, 03:44 PM
At the end of the day, this is still a pretty young team. Regardless of Easton's success last year he had an all time great receiver and a pretty good set of tight ends to choose from.

What's most common attribute of a young team? Mistakes and inconsistency. It's time for the coaches to make their money.

Speaking of, how much are we paying Ben Newman to console our kickers when they fuck up?

Easton also had a LT that is currently starting in the NFL as a rookie.

Easton isn't Carson so the playbook had to change. There are throws that you simply can't ask him to make.

We have two new corners. One of the departed corners is on a 53 man NFL roster.

We currently don't have ANY of our fullbacks suiting up and they were replacements for Seniors.

Who replaced Vraa? Anybody?

Saying we aren't as talented/experienced as last year is a legitimate observation. Of course a few morons take exception to hearing it.

Bison56
10-23-2016, 03:46 PM
This thread is pure comedy, with the exception of a couple posters who actually understand the game of football.

Vet70
10-23-2016, 03:59 PM

Easton isn't Carson so the playbook had to change. There are throws that you simply can't ask him to make.

We currently don't have ANY of our fullbacks suiting up and they were replacements for Seniors.

Saying we aren't as talented/experienced as last year is a legitimate observation. Of course a few morons take exception to hearing it.

And yet we are 6-1 now compared to 5-2 last year---yes an ugly 6-1, but with a harder schedule.

GFBison
10-23-2016, 04:07 PM
...Stumpf's goal-line TD saving hit on 4th down.

https://media.tenor.co/images/56fce3bcf4847d499c7f69e04ec3e508/raw

In a bigger game that hit would take on legendary status. "The Hit".

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-23-2016, 04:18 PM

Spot on. We are not the same team as last year. We're pretty good, but not great.

Prime Power
10-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Thought the defense played pretty well. Offense was doing well, but penalties killed drives and made play calling way more difficult. Will be surprised if they can beat UNI next week. Cubs going to Worls Series!! Macomb is a dump, but I like their stadium.

Mr Meaty
10-23-2016, 05:04 PM
This will sound odd so be kind in your responses. MVFC teams are trying to beat the bison more than trying to win the game. Last week jacks going for it on so many 4 and whatever and same for leathernecks. I believe if they are playing any other team they try fg a couple of those times. But they are all sick of ndsu beating them all the time they will do whatever they need to to beat the bison. Because if they lose most will say they were suppose to lose to ndsu anyways might as well roll the dice.

Mr Meaty
10-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Be kind in your response to this observation. Conference teams are trying to beat the bison more than trying to win the game. Last two weeks with team going for it on 4th and whatever so much to me proves this. If they were playing a different team they would try a fg. they are tired of bison beating them and if they roll the dice and lose the game most will say you should have lost anyways.

NorthernBison
10-23-2016, 05:53 PM
And yet we are 6-1 now compared to 5-2 last year---yes an ugly 6-1, but with a harder schedule.

I agree.

If you read well, you'll understand my comments in this thread aren't saying we are bad. It's more to suggest we adjust expectations a bit.

Vet70
10-23-2016, 05:55 PM
I agree.

If you read well, you'll understand my comments in this thread aren't saying we are bad. It's more to suggest we adjust expectations a bit.

I didn't take it any other way.

Professor Chaos
10-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Didn't realize it until watching the coach's show but Tanguay had a day. 8 solo tackles... as a DT... that's awesome! Add a blocked FG and a couple holding calls drawn in there too.

1993bison
10-23-2016, 06:01 PM
Did we use the 3 RB formation yesterday?

Mr Meaty
10-23-2016, 06:41 PM
Go easy on me. With the last two opponents going for it on 4th and whatever shows me teams are trying to beat the bison vs winning the game. If playing another team they might have tried for fg instead of going for it with reckless abandon. If they still lose rolling the dice, people will still say you would have lost anyways. They are tired of losing to the bison and will pull out all stops to beat them.

EC8CH
10-23-2016, 09:02 PM
Did we use the 3 RB formation yesterday?

Nope.

10 char

bisonaudit
10-23-2016, 09:06 PM
Go easy on me. With the last two opponents going for it on 4th and whatever shows me teams are trying to beat the bison vs winning the game. If playing another team they might have tried for fg instead of going for it with reckless abandon. If they still lose rolling the dice, people will still say you would have lost anyways. They are tired of losing to the bison and will pull out all stops to beat them.

Given how rediculous lay risk averse football coaches are as a group in these situations, you may well be correct, they're doing the right thing on accident.

Bisonwinagn
10-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Teams with good offenses should always go for it more on 4th down. Stig was exactly right in his decision making especially thinking he would have to score 30 or more to win the game. EWU is in the same position and should never punt with that offense and a bad defense.

StL Bison Fan
10-24-2016, 12:14 AM
Macomb isnt that bad, but isnt that great. Dont want to be too hard on them as we have some pretty ratty towns in nd.
Tailgate was a winner. Good crowd, weather was kind, and PL and Tatanka were their usual culinery genius.
Our away fans need more practice. No it is not a crime to stand. And be loud on defense.
Their band. Never change. Stay just the way you are. Also with their purple overalls, white shirts and ball hats, they looked like Super Mario.
Everyone we met asked how long it took to get there. They were in awe. :biggrin:

BisoninNWMN
10-24-2016, 12:29 AM
PL: thanks for the food!

Nice campus but the crowd was pretty sparse for WIU. One WIU fan said it was a "good" crowd for them.

Lost my voice cheering and whistling!

yellowstreak
10-24-2016, 03:19 AM
Popcorn balls and taco in a cup made good tailgating.

Two of the people in our group graduated from WIU...one of them was happy to wear a Bison Shirt and hat. Her husband wasn't impressed. Somebody in our group said the stadium looked like a high school team's and the WIU Alum were quick to point out that it had been remodeled and was much better than before. I couldn't here anything from the PA system.

WIU fans were friendly enough but they don't cheer very much and when I made some noise people looked at me like I was crazy.

On the way out, one of the WIU player's parents started talking to me about the game. I said something about how NDSU's offense didn't play well and he looked insulted....so I added that WIU's defense played well and he agreed.

StL Bison Fan
10-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Popcorn balls and taco in a cup made good tailgating.

Two of the people in our group graduated from WIU...one of them was happy to wear a Bison Shirt and hat. Her husband wasn't impressed. Somebody in our group said the stadium looked like a high school team's and the WIU Alum were quick to point out that it had been remodeled and was much better than before. I couldn't here anything from the PA system.

WIU fans were friendly enough but they don't cheer very much and when I made some noise people looked at me like I was crazy.

On the way out, one of the WIU player's parents started talking to me about the game. I said something about how NDSU's offense didn't play well and he looked insulted....so I added that WIU's defense played well and he agreed.

The big blow up bulldog was not there. But, they had a real bulldog.
They had a big blowup chair. No one sat in it. I have no clue what it was.
The music would have made Cookie kill herself.

56BISON73
10-24-2016, 04:37 AM
Be kind in your response to this observation. Conference teams are trying to beat the bison more than trying to win the game. Last two weeks with team going for it on 4th and whatever so much to me proves this. If they were playing a different team they would try a fg. they are tired of bison beating them and if they roll the dice and lose the game most will say you should have lost anyways.

Theyve noticed on film that they have a good chance to covert. You also need to look at where their field position is.

EC8CH
10-24-2016, 04:44 AM
Theyve noticed on film that they have a good chance to covert. You also need to look at where their field position is.

Seems Bison have been pretty stout on 4th down recently. Agree on field position though.

CAS4127
10-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Offense just isn't executing like it should. Not counting this team out yet. Hopefully we see a lot of improvement over the next month

This team has not improved from game one, period, and poor play on O has nothing to do with CW coming home for a visit.

HerdBot
10-24-2016, 02:02 PM
This will sound odd so be kind in your responses. MVFC teams are trying to beat the bison more than trying to win the game. Last week jacks going for it on so many 4 and whatever and same for leathernecks. I believe if they are playing any other team they try fg a couple of those times. But they are all sick of ndsu beating them all the time they will do whatever they need to to beat the bison. Because if they lose most will say they were suppose to lose to ndsu anyways might as well roll the dice.

If teams are going to be doing that to us, I think it's time to counter by doing the same thing back to them. Had we had the same aggressive mindset, we could have beat the Bunnies.

bisonmike2
10-24-2016, 02:05 PM
This team has not improved from game one, period, and poor play on O has nothing to do with CW coming home for a visit.

I think the defensive secondary has improved but I haven't seen the o line do much. They peaked at Iowa and have been disappointing since then. D line has also been solid except for the SDSU game they decided to take off.

MrSnuffleupagus
10-24-2016, 02:11 PM

If it helps I could make a life-size cardboard cutout of Carson we can put up in the box. Tell the team Carson is there to help out.

But this plan only works as long as the team doesn't find out its not really him.

wagsabison
10-24-2016, 04:11 PM
I think the defensive secondary has improved but I haven't seen the o line do much. They peaked at Iowa and have been disappointing since then. D line has also been solid except for the SDSU game they decided to take off.

I agree, despite the hate the defense has received they have improved over the past few weeks and kept us in games making big stops. Offense really needs to help them out more and keep them off the field.

Twincitybizon
10-24-2016, 04:44 PM
For what it's worth, even with the shanked punt, we out punted WIU.

WIU - 3 for 106 avg 35.3
NDSU 3 for 111 avg 37

# winning

wagsabison
10-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Shep must have just been told to fair catch every punt. Seems like he had an opportunity to return 1 or 2 but signaled for fair catch right away.

Twincitybizon
10-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Well in fairness if they're that short he probably should be fair catch them.

1998braves64
10-24-2016, 10:11 PM

Only outlier to that I would say is the Iowa game we played pretty good all around solid football more so in the 2nd half than 1st half will grant that. At least it was good enough to beat everyone in FCS on a good day imo.

You can argue they were a crappy FBS team not any better than a top 25 FCS team and we beat them on a last second field goal... guess that's arguable too.

That said we didn't turn it over and about the major complaint we had was the punting and discussion on whether we should have gone for 2 or kicked the PAT. Seems our Offense has flipped from that game we can get points in the first half but we can't do anything in the 2nd.

MNoodles
10-25-2016, 04:35 AM
Macomb isnt that bad, but isnt that great. Dont want to be too hard on them as we have some pretty ratty towns in nd.
Tailgate was a winner. Good crowd, weather was kind, and PL and Tatanka were their usual culinery genius.
Our away fans need more practice. No it is not a crime to stand. And be loud on defense.
Their band. Never change. Stay just the way you are. Also with their purple overalls, white shirts and ball hats, they looked like Super Mario.
Everyone we met asked how long it took to get there. They were in awe. :biggrin:

Thanks PL and Tatanka for the wonderful hospitality and those amazing carnitas.🌯😄