PDA

View Full Version : "Don't schedule NDSU" mentality is wrong

90 BISON
10-12-2016, 04:15 AM
It is so frustrating to see the media report this way after every big FBS win. It is frustrating to see schools afraid to play us. Anyone else frustrated by this?

gizmo
10-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but how will FBS teams get to the We Really Suck Bowl if they don't pad their records?

Vet70
10-12-2016, 12:29 PM
It is so frustrating to see the media report this way after every big FBS win. It is frustrating to see schools afraid to play us. Anyone else frustrated by this?

It's the price you pay for success.

tjbison
10-12-2016, 12:36 PM

Would you pay half a million dollars to have some one kick you in the nuts and leave?

scottietohottie
10-12-2016, 12:39 PM
We want bama.

THEsocalledfan
10-12-2016, 12:42 PM
Would you pay half a million dollars to have some one kick you in the nuts and leave?

My issue is why aren't nationally media calling out the hypocrisy.

On one hand, you have the B1G saying playing FCS games hurts their strength of schedule. But somehow, and they NEVER talk about this, it is okay to play crap G5 teams. I would get it if they said all non-conf games must be P5.

On the other, we have people saying don't schedule NDSU as they will beat you. Wait a minute, I thought FCS games were a joke? I thought we were striving for B1G to play better games?

It really is so comical, it is sad, yet no one is crucifying the hypocrisy as they should.

IzzyFlexion
10-12-2016, 12:43 PM

well.......I have paid $30 dollars and a cab ride.........so no........not half of a million.

HerdBot
10-12-2016, 01:58 PM
I think it is actually a good thing because fans of other teams want to see good games. TV Networks want to air good games for ratings.

Bison'01
10-12-2016, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but how will FBS teams get to the We Really Suck Bowl if they don't pad their records?

That's a hell of an idea- take the worst team in all of FBS and the worst team in all of FCS and have them play!
It should be called the "Hoover (or ShopVac) We Really Suck Bowl".

Professor Chaos
10-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I agree. We may not like it but look at it from the opposite point of view; why would you want to schedule NDSU if you're an FBS school? Some fans/analysts/critics may realize that playing NDSU is about the same level as playing an upper echelon G5 team but most won't so beating NDSU (if you can) doesn't present much upside. Why not schedule Indiana St instead and pay them the same amount to get a guaranteed win instead of risking the "embarrassment" of losing to an FCS team?

BisonAccountant44
10-12-2016, 03:52 PM

On one hand, you have the B1G saying playing FCS games hurts their strength of schedule. But somehow, and they NEVER talk about this, it is okay to play crap G5 teams. I would get it if they said all non-conf games must be P5.

On the other, we have people saying don't schedule NDSU as they will beat you. Wait a minute, I thought FCS games were a joke? I thought we were striving for B1G to play better games?

It really is so comical, it is sad, yet no one is crucifying the hypocrisy as they should.
This. Going out and playing a Miami of OH, Rutgers or Georgia St. and saying you're playing then over an NDSU because they help your SOS pisses me off like no other.

Bison03
10-12-2016, 04:13 PM
It also affects out FCS scheduling as well. In some respects in a good way. Non conference games with Montana, E Wash, and even Delaware are good to have.

Bisonator98
10-12-2016, 04:14 PM

I get what you said but let's not kid ourselves. There are plenty of bad P5 teams too.

The real issue is they have absolutely no way of determining a real SOS. Until that happens nothing is going to change.

THEsocalledfan
10-12-2016, 04:25 PM
I get what you said but let's not kid ourselves. There are plenty of bad P5 teams too.

The real issue is they have absolutely no way of determining a real SOS. Until that happens nothing is going to change.

But many, many, many of the G5 schools are horrible. Much more so than P5. They have no excuse for this that is credible. They created the arbitrary line, not us.

natstar1
10-12-2016, 04:26 PM

Frustrating? yes. Wrong? please explain.

90 BISON
10-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Frustrating? yes. Wrong? please explain.

Teams are encouraged by the media to avoid a game with us because it would be challenging.

That is the wrong mentality.

Vet70
10-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Teams are encouraged by the media to avoid a game with us because it would be challenging.

That is the wrong mentality.

Actually I find the media coverage quite humorous---"Fear The Bison." I really doubt that the media has any impact on any decision not to schedule us as their cupcake.

CaBisonFan
10-12-2016, 09:47 PM
FBS teams would prefer to have an FBS challenge. An FCS game had better be an easy win. It's that simple.

mebisonII
10-12-2016, 09:54 PM
I don't understand why its hard to see why FBS teams don't want to schedule FCS. Absolutely no one on the board wants us to schedule D2. Just a no-advantage situation, especially in a division where a single loss takes you out of playoff contention for the rest of the year. If Iowa won out after losing to us, that loss would be an anchor around their neck. At playoff time, precisely no one cares that "They're one of the GOOD fcs teams".

thebootfitter
10-12-2016, 10:26 PM
From their perspective, there's no real upside to scheduling NDSU -- except that they could say they had the balls to do it. They'd probably get some good publicity out of it leading up to the game, even if they ended up losing.

td577
10-12-2016, 11:10 PM
From the FBS perspective, anyone outside the top 10 of FBS really has a lot to lose scheduling anyone in the top 5 in FCS. We already know the starting lineups are not that far off and you can get away with the lack of depth for one game. You don't schedule a FCS team to give you a competitive game, you schedule them to give you a home game, the gate receipt, and one game in the quest for bowl eligibility. That is the value of a FCS opponent. Whether the Hawkeyes were ever going to be a playoff contender is another argument, but they were probably a 2 loss team anyways. Now they are a 3-4 loss team, at best, with a very long shot of cracking the top ten. The FCS loss cost them millions. They had nothing to gain by playing a FCS opponent. They win, it really means nothing other than one game closer to a bowl bid they should have expected anyways.

Another argument in all of this is that there are a lot of FBS programs that could have used the money. There is a movement among FBS schools to also look at taking care of their own financially before throwing the FCS a bone. I think the SOS argument is a cover for the real reason for them to get more parochial and get themselves out of the lose/lose/lose situations they could potentially find themselves. The B10 was sort of right when talking about building SOS by playing FBS only, we all know selectively scheduling FCS opponents negates that argument over most of the G5 schools.

We created this mess by not laying down and playing the cupcakes FCS was supposed to be. NDSU hasn't beaten P5 schools, the Bison has destroyed seasons and cost schools millions of dollars. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see why it sums up to a bad idea for them.

56BISON73
10-12-2016, 11:49 PM

You really dont know the answer to that question?

Christopher Moen
10-12-2016, 11:53 PM
We created this mess by not laying down and playing the cupcakes FCS was supposed to be. NDSU hasn't beaten P5 schools, the Bison has destroyed seasons and cost schools millions of dollars. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to see why it sums up to a bad idea for them.

http://www.strongmindbraveheart.com/wp-content/uploads/according-to-plan.gif

BisonNation11
10-12-2016, 11:57 PM
So does NDSU offer this rocket surgeon degree? :cool:

El_Chapo
10-13-2016, 12:05 AM
it also affects out fcs scheduling as well. In some respects in a good way. Non conference games with montana, e wash, and even delaware are good to have.

lame as hell. More fbs games please!!

td577
10-13-2016, 12:18 AM

We should.

Vet70
10-13-2016, 12:30 AM

http://www.serkworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/rocket-surgery.jpg

stevdock
10-13-2016, 02:53 AM
The one advantage we will have at some point is we will come play for less money. Many of the G5 schools are already asking and getting over a million to play some of the P5 teams. As long as we don't start asking for that money any AD is going to have to listen and then we just need to hope his ego and that dollar difference gets in the way of realizing his team just signed a death sentence for that season ;)