PDA

View Full Version : Predictions & Info for 2006?

CaBisonFan
03-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Being new to this site, I am probably repeating this topic...but I don't get to see the Bison play in person often enough to really know how things look for the future. I could use some catchup information and I'm also interested in opinions.

How does the lineup look for next fall? Any predictions about the starters and the quality? Who will be the headliners? Is Walker going to return full-strength? Is Mertens going to be a factor? How do we stack up in the Great West for next year? Is it realistic to imagine a run for the conference title? etc...etc

And lastly....what year will be the first year of playoff eligibility?

PS - The Forum doesn't seem to be all that interested in reporting this kind of information. What's that all about?

buffalobill
03-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Competitive as heck for QB Position, Good shot at winning the GW title, 2008 first year of playoff eligibility.

NDSUfb
03-07-2006, 02:29 AM
this is what it is looking like for 2006

qb Steve Walker
hb Kyle Steffes
fb Tyler Jangula
te jeremiah Wurzbacker
t Nate Safe
g Adam Tadisch
c Zach Harrington
g Justin Buckwalter
t Jerrod Wagner
wr Travis White
wr Kole Heckendorf

de Alex Kingsley
dt Justin Frick
dt ?? Juco
de ?? Juco
lb Mike Maresh
lb Ramon Humber
lb Joe Mays
c Nate Agbetola
c Rich Bowman
SS Craig Dahl
fs Nick Schoomer

k Kyle Wilcox
p Drago
prkr Shamen Washington

just a prediction on what it could be

Gamehunter
03-07-2006, 02:49 AM
This is what I posted over on the AGS board a few weeks ago in the thread "Depth Chart Analysis....Post your team's"

I try to be as unbiased as possible, and I think next years team could be darn good if those DL guys are legitimate. The Linebackers we have are VERY good and should help out inexperience along the DL to some degree. but we still need to be able to put consisten pressure on the quarterback.

The Great West is going to have 3 legitimate contenders next year: NDSU, Cal Poly, and UC Davis. The sleeper of those 3 is UC Davis. They have the potential to be VERY good, however at this point I think it would be hard to pick an order among the top 3 and I doubt we will know any more than we do now untill late November.

.................................................. .................................................. ...........
Here is the lowdown with NDSU this fall since nobody has posted anything thus far:

7/11 returning on offense

Key starters returning:
QB Steve Walker - Tore ACL/MCL in SIU game last fall. Recovery is going smoothly from what I have heard and is expected to be back for his 3rd year as starter this fall. Will be pushed for playing time by a VERY talented RFr. that alot of Bison fans consider to be one of the best recruits to come through the program in a long time.
RB Kyle Steffes - Back for his Senior year. Put up big #'s the last 3 seasons and should be even better this fall with a much improved O-line.
WR Koke Heckendorf

Key Starters lost:
LT Tim Popowski - voted best lineman in GWFC by coaches and media. Suffered from ankle problems most of the season.
TE A.J. Cooper - Outstanding TE that helped make up for lack up experience at wide out. I believe he was the leading reciever last year.

Key Returning Starters that sat out 2005 season because of injury:

WR Travis White - Suffered from a season ending knee injury 2 weeks before the first game in 2005 and took a medical redshirt. Will be a big factor in '06.
FB Tyler Rohl - NDSU went through most of 2005 without an answer at fullback. With Rohl that all changes.

6/11 returning on Defense

Key Starters returning:
DT Justin Frick - Dynamic player and a major reason the Bison defense was tops in the GWFC. Back for senior season.
LB Joe Mays - Probably NDSU's best athlete. Hits very hard at 245 lbs yet very athletic and is a constant playmaker.
SS Craig Dahl - very consistent and seems to get better and better each year.

Key Starters Lost:
DE Alvin Robinson
NG Rodney Thompson
DE Isaac Levant
- 3 defensive line guys that will be hard to replace in 2006.

Key Returning Starters that sat out 2005 season because of injury:

none

3/4 returning on Special Teams:

Key Starters returning:
RS Shamen Washington - there is a big reason why most teams wont kick to this guy. He is very small and very fast. Somehow turns nothing into something.
P Mike Dragosavich - All American punter. Had a 46 yard average in 2005.

Key Starters Lost:
K Corey Vartanian - Solid player that had a somewhat dissapointing season.

Alot of Bison fans are expecting to see this years offense put up some big numbers, whereas last years offense REALLY struggled in at least 2 games, and relied on the defense to put them in favorable position. Next year every position except tight end, in which both senior's graduate, will be much improved for '06. NDSU will likely use TE's mostly for blocking schemes rather than passing in '06.

Defensively the only question mark that remains is DL, in which 3 of the 4 are gone. NDSU has quite a few capable guys to fill the spots, and brought in 3 or 4 more JUCO's including one that redshirted at Auburn University, but the jury is still out on whether or not these guys can come out and play up to the same level as their predecessors. Both of 2005's CB's graduated, leaving some very talented redshirts to fill in the holes for 2006. Overall there should be a big improvement in the secondary and linebackers in 2006, and I would expect more man-man defense to be used.

CaBisonFan
03-07-2006, 03:28 AM
By talented freshman QB are you referring to Mertens? The guy that you're talking about....what kind of an athlete is he? Big tall pro pocket player? Pass & run?

Thanks.

Gamehunter
03-07-2006, 04:08 AM
At 6' Mertens is not overly tall considering the height we are starting to see along the OL. He is a very good passer though, and had over 800 yards rushing his senior year for East Grand Forks. He has the potential to be a big time player in a couple years. I doubt he could push Walker out of the starting spot, but it should be fun to see what Merten's can do this fall as a potential backup.

coloradobison
03-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Hopefully Walker will be back and healthy by the start of Fall practice. Mertens, Brecke and Parsons will all get alot of time in spring practice to make their case to be #2 or the #1 if Walker cant come back, i hope he can and the best man wins out.

SUILB#28
03-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Talking about Steve, I think people overestimate the recovery time for knee injuries. I have had an ACL and cartlidge repairs, and although they are painful and filled with a long rehab, my experience has been that most people come back quick and relatively healthy. ACL"s esepically, guys can start jogging by about 3 months. Steve will be ready by fall camp, and I don't think anyone will even be able to tell he had his knee reconstructed by the middle of the season. He will be no Michael Vick, but I don't think there will be any worry if he'll be ready. But there is a lot of talent behind him, although those guys may have to wait, the competition for those backup spots will be something interesting to follow.

lakesbison
03-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Merten's was the MINNESOTA AP player of the year in 04.... won the state title singlehandely...

and was MVP in the ALL STATE Football game vs MANY MANY division 1 recruits to Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Minnesota etc..

I would personally like to see Mertens start from the get go in 06... since Walker can't play in a playoff eligible year....

Walker will probably start. but I hope we get Merten's in alot... to help him in 07 at Minnesota..

He definitely has the talent and the smarts... very shifty-fast player/scrambler at QB..

TransAmBison
03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I would personally like to see Mertens start from the get go in 06... since Walker can't play in a playoff eligible year
http://mtp.jpl.nasa.gov/images/Azores/donkey.jpg

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 02:49 PM
ACLs are practially nothing these days.

They take a ligament from somewhere (I forget) and the new ACL ends up being stronger than before.

MCLs don't even need surgery, usually. They're such a big ligament that they're almost never torn all the way. They heal on their own.

Walker will be ready to go by fall and he's our QB in 06. Guaranteed.

One thing I'd like to add is that we're getting Tyler Roehl back.

He's going to be huge at FB next season.

If we have a good FB, our offense is almost impossible to stop.

mikelsch
03-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Roehl had been taking reps at RB last year before he got hurt. Don't be surprised to see him get some reps at RB this season - setting up a Roehl/Chapman RB rotation in 2007.

There will be some 2 FB sets this season with Jangula and Roehl, and Steffes or Chapman at RB. Talk about a power running formation.

Gamehunter
03-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Merten's was the MINNESOTA AP player of the year in 04.... won the state title singlehandely...

and was MVP in the ALL STATE Football game vs MANY MANY division 1 recruits to Notre Dame/Wisconsin/Minnesota etc..

I would personally like to see Mertens start from the get go in 06... since Walker can't play in a playoff eligible year....

Walker will probably start. but I hope we get Merten's in alot... to help him in 07 at Minnesota..

He definitely has the talent and the smarts... very shifty-fast player/scrambler at QB..

BTW, in case you havn't been paying attention, Walker is going to be a Junior this fall. So not sure what your trying to get at with the Minnesota comment....

WYOBISONMAN
03-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Talking about Steve, I think people overestimate the recovery time for knee injuries. I have had an ACL and cartlidge repairs, and although they are painful and filled with a long rehab, my experience has been that most people come back quick and relatively healthy. ACL"s esepically, guys can start jogging by about 3 months. Steve will be ready by fall camp, and I don't think anyone will even be able to tell he had his knee reconstructed by the middle of the season. He will be no Michael Vick, but I don't think there will be any worry if he'll be ready. But there is a lot of talent behind him, although those guys may have to wait, the competition for those backup spots will be something interesting to follow.

That is great to hear.....especially from someone who has the first hand experience with the procedure. I am looking forward to see Walker lead the 2006 edition of the Thudering Herd!

mikelsch
03-07-2006, 07:32 PM

Using the same logic, I guess Andre Smith should be benched next season so only the Bison players eligible for the playoffs in 2008-2009 get to play.

If Mertens beats out Walker, then great, but he shouldn't be the starter just cause of his prior accolades or because he will be a "playoff-eligible" player. I know this is senseless to debate, because Coach Bohl will put the best player on the field. Personally, I think that NDSU will need each one to step up during parts of the season.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-07-2006, 07:40 PM
I think we've had this whole "should Mertens start next year so he can be ready for playoffs" debate ad nauseum on another thread. The fact of the matter is that Mertens is a good quarterback who could become a bigtime stud, but he should have to earn the starting role. The last two seasons have shown us that Steve Walker is a big-time big game player and has earned enough respect to at least be afforded the right to not have his job given away.

sambini
03-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Thats why we have coaches. They will get it done.

NDSUfb
03-07-2006, 11:52 PM
With either Jangula Roehl Steffes or Cinque in the backfield, it looks like it is going to be a good year for the bison rushing the ball ;D ... one thing we might want to look for is two fullbacks in the backfield!

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Two fullbacks in the backfield?

Yikes.

I hope not.

Maybe for short yardage.

SDbison
03-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Thats why we have coaches. They will get it done.
To quote you Sambini " +++++++++ "

sambini
03-09-2006, 04:32 AM
I hope you get your TEAMMAKER THUNDER ZONE. +++++++++++++

KidDakota
03-09-2006, 06:52 AM
My Prediction is the the Bison lose to the Jacks and the trophy returns south for awhile.

Gamehunter
03-09-2006, 07:19 AM
My Prediction is the the Bison lose to the Jacks and the trophy returns south for awhile.

Nothing like starting a little friendly smack early ;D

You guys better hope you have an answer for ANY of our 5 running backs you couldn't seem to stop last year, or this year's game will be much more lopsided. Don't look now rabbit fans, 1963 was almost half a century ago :o

NDSUfb
03-10-2006, 12:18 AM
yea i dont forsee and rabbit taking the marker, the bison will run over them