PDA

View Full Version : Bison Head Football Coaches

northendzone
10-06-2016, 01:26 AM
Since 1976 we have had 7 coaches, every coach with the exception of one has won a national championship - we talk about many amazing stats, win streaks, ect - but this is incredible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
10-06-2016, 01:27 AM
http://prod.static.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/JAC/20141023-babich.jpg

WFBisonFan
10-06-2016, 01:34 AM
http://prod.static.jaguars.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/JAC/20141023-babich.jpg

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! This man almost single-handedly destroyed Bison football. He was nothing but a Tim Brewster.

dufferole
10-06-2016, 01:59 AM
Wacker and Babich did not win national championships.

HerdBot
10-06-2016, 02:01 AM
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! This man almost single-handedly destroyed Bison football. He was nothing but a Tim Brewster.

Babich arrived at a time of declining scholarships. His overall record wasn't that bad and he made the playoffs twice and should have made it more but the D2 playoff system was a joke. Also credit Northern Colorado was a powerhouse and UND was pretty good too. They won a combined 3 National Championships between them.

If he was smart, he would have kept the veer in place and the same defensive system. It took 3 years before we were really good and the players had the system down. (part of the reason Klieman and Earle Solomonson had immediate success)

His last year was a disaster but he did recruit some pretty darn good players for Bohl. Joe May's, Steve Walker, Drago, and Craig Dahl. The cupbord wasnt bare for Bohl with Travis White, Marquis Johnson, Kyle Steffes, Rod Malone, Justin Frick, and an oline that would be impressive even today. I think Bohl had Rob Hunt for a year too

In fact... The players Babich recruited may have fit Bohls system better than Babichs!

Snowgoose
10-06-2016, 02:01 AM

I called him the Baboon. He could recruit but couldn't coach. Funny how our rejects end up in the NFL.

WFBisonFan
10-06-2016, 02:04 AM
Babich arrived at a time of declining scholarships. His overall record wasn't that bad and he made the playoffs twice and should have made it more but the D2 playoff system was a joke.

If he was smart, he would have kept the veer in place.

His last year was a disaster but he did recruit some pretty darn good players for Bohl. Joe May's, Steve Walker, Fargo, and Craig Dahl. The cupbord wasnt bare for Bohl with Travis White, Marquis Johnson, Kyle Steffed, Rod Malone, Justin Frock, etc

I just couldn't stand his arrogance I guess, and I know that Rocky had an arrogance as did Bohl...but I also know first hand how he treated some players and it was not good.

Vet70
10-06-2016, 02:05 AM
In my opinion under Babich the players would get behind and quit. That changed under Bohl.

NDSU1980
10-06-2016, 02:14 AM
Wacker and Babich did not win national championships.

Wacker did in fact win a natty, just not here. He beat us and Don Morton to get it unfortunately.

scottietohottie
10-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Thank you Chris Klieman.

scottietohottie
10-06-2016, 02:24 AM
Babich arrived at a time of declining scholarships. His overall record wasn't that bad and he made the playoffs twice and should have made it more but the D2 playoff system was a joke.

If he was smart, he would have kept the veer in place and the same defensive system. It took 3 years before we were really good and the players had the system down. (part of the reason Klieman and Earle Solomonson had immediate success)

His last year was a disaster but he did recruit some pretty darn good players for Bohl. Joe May's, Steve Walker, Drago, and Craig Dahl. The cupbord wasnt bare for Bohl with Travis White, Marquis Johnson, Kyle Steffes, Rod Malone, Justin Frick, and an oline that would be impressive even today. I think Bohl had Rob Hunt for a year too

In fact... The players Babich recruited may have fit Bohls system better than Babichs!

Dude I just typed out a long pm to you spilling my sole about my feelings on Bob Babich only to hit send and have my dreams dashed by the mailbox for herdbot is full. Couldn't figure out how to save the dam thing either so my thoughts are all just blowing in the wind now but I did some up my message with my previous post in this thread.

natstar1
10-06-2016, 02:42 AM
I was going to school when Babich went to the Bears and I was so glad that he left. But I felt like most students wanted him to stay. IIRC there was an article in the spectrum praising him.

Bison 4 Life
10-06-2016, 02:53 AM
You know? I couldn't stand him as a coach but I always found BB to be a really nice person. I was working in sports radio at the time (remember 1280 The Ticket?) and we had him on a few times. Every time he saw me in public he always said hi. I remember once at the Dakota Bowl he stopped to talk to me in the concourse of the FD when my boss, Ed Schultz (both of them had kids in the game) barely made eye contact earlier.

aces1180
10-06-2016, 02:56 AM
You know? I couldn't stand him as a coach but I always found BB to be a really nice person. I was working in sports radio at the time (remember 1280 The Ticket?) and we had him on a few times. Every time he saw me in public he always said hi. I remember once at the Dakota Bowl he stopped to talk to me in the concourse of the FD when my boss, Ed Schultz (both of them had kids in the game) barely made eye contact earlier.

I agree...

As a student employee at NDSU, my personal experiences with BB were always pleasant...I can't say the same about his successor, but to each their own.

imabison
10-06-2016, 03:33 AM
I called him the Baboon. He could recruit but couldn't coach. Funny how our rejects end up in the NFL.

He was a good friend of Lovie Smith.

gwfan
10-06-2016, 04:27 AM
Rocky was the victim of the scholarship reduction, not Bob

HerdBot
10-06-2016, 04:31 AM
Rocky was the victim of the scholarship reduction, not Bob

That doesn't make any sense. Rocky started in the 40s and was in the 30's by his last season. Babich was in the 30s since day 1. Bohl had 63 from the start. Now the coaches have full cost of attendance. When we have resources, we always do well.

scottietohottie
10-06-2016, 04:45 AM
I flung a pea with my spoon off the balcony in the dining center and hit Bob Babich in the head down below. I also may or may not have been involved with a paper plane landing on the playing field by the student section around the same time.

tojo70
10-06-2016, 05:17 AM
I flung a pea with my spoon off the balcony in the dining center and hit Bob Babich in the head down below. I also may or may not have been involved with a paper plane landing on the playing field by the student section around the same time.

I was at that game with the airplane. That was freaking legendary

Christopher Moen
10-06-2016, 07:05 AM
My experience dealing Babich was similar to listening Trump at a debate - I wish he would stop talking.

NFH Schlüssel
10-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Rocky was the victim of the Bob Entzion

fixed it fer ya!

Tony Almeida
10-06-2016, 10:01 AM
Babich recognized talent, he had some amazing athletes all across the board (QB's not so much) so I don't understand all the dislike for him on here...had Babich known how to recruit quarterbacks, I strongly believe he would have had a national championship.

Professor Chaos
10-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Why does it not surprise me that in a thread about all the recent NDSU head coaches who have won championships most of the conversation is about the one who didn't... :rofl:

Bisonator98
10-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Actually that was another Bob. Don't make me say it! :mad:

Bison 4 Life
10-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Why does it not surprise me that in a thread about all the recent NDSU head coaches who have won championships most of the conversation is about the one who didn't... :rofl:

Bisonvillers gonna Bisonville.

TransAmBison
10-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Babich recognized talent, he had some amazing athletes all across the board (QB's not so much) so I don't understand all the dislike for him on here...had Babich known how to recruit quarterbacks, I strongly believe he would have had a national championship.I can't believe I just read that. Yes, Bob had an eye for talent and got a lot of good players here...but he couldn't do anything with it. What was the Bison record his last year here?

tony
10-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Bisonvillers gonna Bisonville.

Haha, I bet a lot of us can name every game we lost since the Missouri State 0-3 debacle in 2010 too.

I never disliked Babich and was torn about him leaving - a lot of former Bison players turned coaches lost their jobs because of that. And then Gus didn't get the job so that was tough. That said, Coach Bohl knew what he was doing and it worked out well for everybody. Heck, it could hardly have worked out better for NDSU.

southcliffbison
10-06-2016, 02:18 PM
My experience dealing Babich was similar to listening Trump at a debate - I wish he would stop talking.

I thought there was ban on this political Bullshit on BV, but since you took a shot, I'll take mine: I feel the same way about Killiary..... where in the hell are the mods ?????

TransAmBison
10-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Both posts uncalled for and warrants swift justice...this is not the place...

southcliffbison
10-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Both posts uncalled for and warrants swift justice...this is not the place...

I didn't start it.

bisonmike2
10-06-2016, 02:30 PM

He beat UND in the first Bison/Sue game I ever attended. For that, he will always have my respect.

Christopher Moen
10-06-2016, 02:44 PM
I thought there was ban on this political Bullshit on BV, but since you took a shot, I'll take mine: I feel the same way about Killiary..... where in the hell are the mods ?????

My post wasn't political. It was comparing two mumbling, bumbling fools.

BTW, I'm not a Democrat so no need to be so thin-skinned.

Bison06
10-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Had we not been screwed out of a home playoff game in 2000 and had to play on kitty litter with a 3rd string QB, Bob Babich's legacy would be much different. I've never understood all the hate for him. As was said, scholarship reductions lead to UND rising and UNC was a powerhouse. During Babich's time at NDSU, UNC won 2 national championships and UND won one. Maybe his era of NDSU football doesn't look as pretty because the competition got better. Just something to think about.

Correction: UNC national championships were in '96 and '97, so only one occurred during Coach Babich's time.

TransAmBison
10-06-2016, 03:51 PM
I didn't start it.That didn't fly when I was a kid, and it doesn't fly with mine either. Don't know why it should work here.

Bison4Life
10-06-2016, 04:05 PM
He beat UND in the first Bison/Sue game I ever attended. For that, he will always have my respect.

haha that was my first bison sue game also........never forget the onside kick to start the second half then the guy running around with the flag that said bobs got balls.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Wacker brought in the veer and set up the Bison for the 80s run. He had enthusiasm that was infectious...and was a winner.

BisonAccountant44
10-06-2016, 06:04 PM
Babich recognized talent, he had some amazing athletes all across the board (QB's not so much) so I don't understand all the dislike for him on here...had Babich known how to recruit quarterbacks, I strongly believe he would have had a national championship.

QB's like Steve Walker?

I don't have any problem with BB. I will say that I do remember as a student when he left being glad because I thought he needed to go at that time, but put me in the camp that will always believe if it wasn't for the kitty litter we'd have won the title in 2000 even with the 3rd string QB because Lamar Gordon.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2016, 06:12 PM
QB's like Steve Walker?

I don't have any problem with BB. I will say that I do remember as a student when he left being glad because I thought he needed to go at that time, but put me in the camp that will always believe if it wasn't for the kitty litter we'd have won the title in 2000 even with the 3rd string QB because Lamar Gordon.
That was the year wasn't it? Didn't we lose three quarterbacks to injury?

TransAmBison
10-06-2016, 06:16 PM
That was the year wasn't it? Didn't we lose three quarterbacks to injury?We lost two in one game to Nebraska Omaha in the quarterfinals...

CaBisonFan
10-06-2016, 06:24 PM
We lost two in one game to Nebraska Omaha in the quarterfinals...
Yes...and if memory serves me they were both ACL injuries. Babich had a championship-caliber team that had some bad luck.

CaBisonFan
10-06-2016, 06:29 PM
Here's the Omaha playoff game...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPPe5D5RjeY

It really features Lamar Gordon's abilities.

Tony Almeida
10-07-2016, 11:25 PM
I can't believe I just read that. Yes, Bob had an eye for talent and got a lot of good players here...but he couldn't do anything with it.
See posts below...

Had we not been screwed out of a home playoff game in 2000 and had to play on kitty litter with a 3rd string QB, Bob Babich's legacy would be much different

Yes...and if memory serves me they were both ACL injuries. Babich had a championship-caliber team that had some bad luck.

We lost two in one game to Nebraska Omaha in the quarterfinals...Hey now you're starting to catch on...
Had Babich won a natty like he should have in 2000 with a QB, would you be singing a different tune?

Christopher Moen
10-07-2016, 11:55 PM
See posts below...

[/B]

Hey now you're starting to catch on...
Had Babich won a natty like he should have in 2000 with a QB, would you be singing a different tune?

Speaking for myself, no based on the personal conversations I had with him. Granted the conversations didn't last long and weren't many, but the impression I got from him wasn't good. He definitely didn't strike me as a leader of men.

No_Skill
10-08-2016, 12:56 AM

Ha! That was my first too. That's when he started the 2nd half with the onside kick and started the "Bob's got balls" chant right?

Gully
10-08-2016, 01:31 AM
"umbelievable"

CAS4127
10-08-2016, 01:53 AM
Speaking for myself, no based on the personal conversations I had with him. Granted the conversations didn't last long and weren't many, but the impression I got from him wasn't good. He definitely didn't strike me as a leader of men.

Nailed it. He wasn't HC material and certainly isn't NFL caliber talent at all. The good old boy network has gifted him his jobs and money. That's how he got the HC position here. Had past history with Morton, and that carried the day, even over objection and resistance from significant former players.

Mr Meaty
10-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Ha! That was my first too. That's when he started the 2nd half with the onside kick and started the "Bob's got balls" chant right?

That was a great call!

TransAmBison
10-12-2016, 05:06 PM
See posts below...

[/B]

Hey now you're starting to catch on...
Had Babich won a natty like he should have in 2000 with a QB, would you be singing a different tune?Absolutely not. He set the program back.