PDA

View Full Version : Which Conference would you pick?

BisonBacker
03-09-2006, 04:31 AM
With all the talk about conferences it time to see what the numbers look like unofficially. Just curious and the 3 choices seem to be the most popular among most.

SloStang
03-09-2006, 04:42 AM
I picked the Mid-Con because I would like to see the GWFC continue and add a few more members.

BisonBacker
03-09-2006, 04:51 AM
I invited the guys over on the Jacks board over to take the poll. Should be interesting to see the results. In response to SloStang I think the GWF is going to have a limited life. When the SU's eventually get a conference invite unless there is some big influx of new schools to the GWF I don't see it as a viable conference. Don't get me wrong I like the conference but its not the answer for both schools in the long term.

Jacks02
03-09-2006, 06:30 AM
I voted Missouri Valley, although I'm guessing its a pretty long shot. Its a much better basketball conference than the other two options, and I think would provide for alot better regional rivalries than the other options as well.

BisonMav
03-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I voted Missouri Valley, although I'm guessing its a pretty long shot. *Its a much better basketball conference than the other two options, and I think would provide for alot better regional rivalries than the other options as well.

Agree with Jacks02, if NDSU had these 3 invites, go for the Mo Valley, no brainer to me. It's the highest profile conference of the three. Some great road trips, Drake, UNI, Creighton, WOW. The other two conferences are more likely in all reality.

TransAmBison
03-09-2006, 12:26 PM
I put the Big Sky because I don't believe the Great West is around to stay. If it was, and would get an automatic qualifier bid, and the other teams found a conference, I'd love for football to stay in the Great West. But, some things need to fall into place first.

rabidrabbit
03-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I'd love to combine the GWFC/BSC. The rivalries and strengths of the two Cal's + the DSU's should be continued in all sports. Each of these has good to great football, basketball's stronger at the SU's, Wrestling strong, X-country, and volleyball would benefit from a strong constant conference. Only the Big Sky appears to be of multi sport strength. The other two are basketball dominated, which would generally be better for SDSU's advantage.

Mid-Con appears most likely, but is so weak in football. Neither SU's would benefit in I-AA being mid-Con.

Mo Valley - Nice? But unlikely.

MplsBison
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Even assuming that all those conferences wanted us right now, I'd still go with the Big Sky.

I think having Montana for football and basketball every year is a big deal.

Paulie
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Sun Belt

buffalobill
03-09-2006, 03:07 PM
WAC ATTACK

JACKGUYII
03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
If anyone watched the Big Sky championship between Northern Arizona and Montana it was hard to be impressed with the calibre of play. I think at full strength SDSU and NDSU could beat those teams. For me from a Basketball perspective it's a no brainer as a Missouri Valley and maybe someday Gateway Conference combination would be the best. I don't think Montana is long for the Big Sky and if they leave I don't find much appealing about that conference on a number of levels. I have no problem with the Great West Conference as I think UND will be joining us soon and maybe St Cloud at some point.

sambini
03-09-2006, 07:35 PM
WAC ATTACK +++++++++++++

filbert
03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I voted for the Valley because that's pretty much the no-brainer best-case conference for SDSU.

I'd prefer the Mid-Con over the Big Sky only because I'm in Kansas City and would be able to get to more of the games. Plus I'd like to see the GWFC survive and stick it to the BSC at every opportunity, just on general principles.

If we go several more years without an invite, and if SDSU could scrape up another thirty or forty million dollars for stadium upgrades and adding another 44 scholarships, then I'd be willing to entertain the idea of I-A and the SunBelt or WAC.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2006, 10:31 PM
If anyone watched the Big Sky championship between Northern Arizona and Montana it was hard to be impressed with the calibre of play. I think at full *strength SDSU and NDSU could beat those teams. For me from a Basketball perspective it's a no brainer as a Missouri Valley and maybe someday Gateway Conference combination would be the best. I don't think Montana is long for the Big Sky and if they leave I don't find much appealing about that conference on a number of levels. I have no problem with the Great West Conference as I think UND will be joining us soon and maybe St Cloud at some point.

I couldn't agree more.

IMO, NDSU can be more then just a football school (SDSU can be more then just a basketball school).

If you're giving me an option I'm going with Missouri Valley hands down.

gus73
03-09-2006, 11:49 PM
My preferred conference is the MVC, although I agree it would be a long shot. When you look at the map of the conference that was part of that article cited in another thread the schools are similar and the geography is not bad. Second choice is the Mid-Con since SDSU has affiliate membership already for swimming and soccer. The downside for me is the mix of schools. Third choice is the Big Sky. They really don't seem to be that interested in us and they don't have baseball and wrestling.

WYOBISONMAN
03-10-2006, 02:12 AM
MVC is a longer shot than the BSC.....perhaps in the short run the MidCon is the most realistic, but it obviously is not what the fans would like....

BisonBacker
03-10-2006, 10:51 PM
I honestly thought that the BSC would have a sizeable edge but this poll doesn't show that. Interesting.

semobison
03-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I think the Big Sky used to be the popular choice. I think a lot of us Bison fans thought we would get in when UNC did. The reality that the BSC doesnt really want us or cant or wont take us has set in. I would prefer the Big Sky but right now we cant be picky. We just need a conference for all sports

lakesbison
03-11-2006, 12:35 AM
WAC baby!!

i wanna travel to HAWAII couple times a YEAR!!

need a GOOD baseball conference .. .. Baseball could be a money maker down the road 2-3 years.. if we can get Wichita/Crieghton/Minnesota/Nebraska up here 4 times a season... 16 games... WOW. 800-1000 attendence at $8/game... thats good money

sambini
03-11-2006, 04:33 AM
WAC ATTACK GO TO WACSPORTS.COM SEE HOW WE COMPARE.

HuskerFan
03-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Not sure about the other sports at NDSU and SDSU, but with only 10 schools in the Big 12 playing baseball, I'd love to see the NDSU & SDSU baseball programs join the Big 12 for baseball.......but that probably won't happen.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-11-2006, 10:37 PM
That is an interesting idea, but I don't think it would ever happen. NDSU should probably go to a conference where it has a chance to compete year in and year out, which I'm not sure they ever would in the Big 12. Very interesting idea, though.

BisonBacker
03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Apparently not much love for the Mid Con. Well no matter I don't see NDSU and SDSU getting picky if a conference invite was extended.

tony
03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
I didn't see where I could vote for "Whichever Conference Will Have Us."

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
Apparently not much love for the Mid Con. *Well no matter I don't see NDSU and SDSU getting picky if a conference invite was extended.
Couldn't agree more. In the short term it is in the SU's best interest to be in a conference, regardless of what conference that may be. NDSU can always change conferences later if a perfect fit comes along.

BisonBacker
03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
I didn't see where I could vote for "Whichever Conference Will Have Us."
Guess I left that one out Tony, That probably should have been an option :-/