PDA

View Full Version : Iowa had an entire Year to prepare for NDSU

Herd
09-24-2016, 11:52 AM
On the Hawkeye board you read . . . This was NDSU's Super Bowl, they only have to get up for 1 game a year, we were flat, this is lose-lose, doesn't matter to Iowa, they won but are still irrelevant, we should have bought the game out, etc, etc.

Iowa has been hearing about this game for 2+ years. Jim Delaney and Barry Alverez had to be speaking directly with Iowa and Ferentz telling them it's time to finally shut up these little FCS upstarts. Two former NDSU folks on the Iowa staff. Iowa, how do you not get up for this Game?!! The whole B1G had to loving the fact that one of their champs and best teams would finally shut up NDSU and destroy the Bison.

To me, the fact that the B1G was finally going to put the best of the FCS in its place was the stronger force. No way that NDSU would once again sneak up on an FBS opponent. That is what NDSU overcame. What the hell happened Iowa?

A1pigskin
09-24-2016, 01:52 PM
The better team won, flat or not. Our Super Bowl is the Championship game. Also look at how many Bison players are in the NFL. They are still sore.

KilldeerBison
09-24-2016, 01:55 PM
While tailgating Friday evening, a young man stopped by our group to talk. He was checking the tailgating areas near the Coralville Comfort Suites, making sure everything looked ok. He worked in the Iowa Athletic Department, we immediately struck up a conversation about Gene Taylor. I commented that, we had heard that Gene had communicated his concern about not taking NDSU lightly. He said that was true and the entire Hawkeye coaching staff did not take this game lightly. He said an example, earlier that week at a team meeting, a Hawkeye Coach asked every person in the room to stand up, if they had a previous National Championp, nobody stood. Then he said, the program coming to play on Saturday has 13, 5 at the D1 level and set a NCAA record, getting 5 consecutive NC'state in a row. He said you could of heard a pin drop in that room after he said that. No way the Hawkeyes looked past NDSU, they knew exactly who was coming to town.

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2016, 01:58 PM
Everyday I hear or see something else that makes me feel like I did when the clock hit 0:00

A1pigskin
09-24-2016, 02:01 PM
One more thing. If Iowa looked flat that's because NDSU made them flat.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 02:09 PM
One more thing. If Iowa looked flat that's because NDSU made them flat.

Why weren't they flat against MOH and whatever other shitty team they played "At Home" before us. If they were gonna be flat, why wouldn't it be for one or both of those, unless they really are so dumb to think those teams are better than NDSU and they took them more seriously. If they are that dumb, well, then they deserved to lose anyway.

Sent from my iPhone.

tony
09-24-2016, 02:18 PM
There are two types of FBS programs: The ones who NDSU has punched in the gut and those that haven't played NDSU yet. :)

SDbison
09-24-2016, 03:15 PM
The other excuse that I have only heard a couple times this go around is "NDSU really got up for this game, it was their super bowl". Fans of other teams don't understand that NDSU prepares and plays smash mouth football every game. No way just getting up for a game would have produced a performance like this and dominance in the 4th quarter. Like someone else said already, NDSU's super bowl is the natty.

BisonTeacher
09-24-2016, 03:18 PM
With the exception of top 10. I honestly believe the gap between the FBS and FCS is not as big as everyone thinks.

Green1
09-24-2016, 03:20 PM
If a player can't "get up" to play at home in front of 70k fans, then he needs to look in a mirror and realize he is the problem.

td577
09-24-2016, 03:55 PM
No one can tell me Iowa wasn't fully aware a loss could effectively end their season. Sure after the loss they can see some light, but going in the game, the reality is no matter how the rest of the season went, this had to be on their list of games you can't lose. While there is no doubt any team in front of you should be motivation enough, the big picture should be driving the story for anyone who can't get up for a FCS opponent. Motivation was not a factor. It wasn't a factor for Iowa because it is a game they all should of had a complete understanding they could not lose. Motivation wasn't a factor on the Bison side, because they don't play super bowls until January. I am sure they were excited to play, but I didn't see the false starts and other indicators of a team playing like this was their marquee game of the year.

Iowa had enough talent on the field to stay in the ball game for 59 minutes and 54 seconds even though they were getting throttled in the trenches. NDSU is good enough if motivation was extremely offset, the game would have been a blowout. It was just a classic smashmouth beatdown that lead to the last team who had the ball, won.

BisoninNWMN
09-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Better team won. FBS fans are too arrogant to admit that they got their asses beat.

IzzyFlexion
09-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Iowa also had an entire halftime to make adjustments.

They didn't score in the 1st quarter and were down because of an unusual defensive touchdown.

2nd quarter they scored twice. (2 touchdowns) NDSU gets a goose egg in the 2nd. 4 drives for 84 yards on 21 snaps but punted 4 times.

One theory could be complacence in the locker room at halftime thinking that they had things figured out and would cruise in the 2nd half.

That theory has a big hole in it though as the offensive problems for the Hawkeyes began after their impressive 3 play 83 yard touchdown drive. In their last 2 possessions to end the half (going to throw out the last one being a 1 play kneel down), Iowa ran 6 plays for a net minus 1 yard.

In the entire 2nd half, Iowa ran 20 plays for a net 64 yards!

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Thought the Iowa fans were pretty good before and after the game. A couple cocky fans before but had a lot of fans congratulate us. Had a guy at tailgating actually say he thought we were going to win haha

TBone
09-24-2016, 06:08 PM
From what I`m seeing NDSU can play anybody. These fbs teams are not that great.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 06:09 PM
While tailgating Friday evening, a young man stopped by our group to talk. He was checking the tailgating areas near the Coralville Comfort Suites, making sure everything looked ok. He worked in the Iowa Athletic Department, we immediately struck up a conversation about Gene Taylor. I commented that, we had heard that Gene had communicated his concern about not taking NDSU lightly. He said that was true and the entire Hawkeye coaching staff did not take this game lightly. He said an example, earlier that week at a team meeting, a Hawkeye Coach asked every person in the room to stand up, if they had a previous National Championp, nobody stood. Then he said, the program coming to play on Saturday has 13, 5 at the D1 level and set a NCAA record, getting 5 consecutive NC'state in a row. He said you could of heard a pin drop in that room after he said that. No way the Hawkeyes looked past NDSU, they knew exactly who was coming to town.

Great post.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 06:47 PM
This week must be Rutgers Super Bowl also...

BisonAccountant44
09-24-2016, 06:48 PM
I've always hated the "it was their Super Bowl" excuse because our Super Bowl is in Frisco.

At the same time though, there is no way these games don't mean a little extra to our guys. Even the coaches, when I read in the JK book about how much time they put in through the entire off season game planning for K State and then seeing the difference in this team between games 1-2 & 3 it makes a guy think that mage have been the case again and maybe there is a little more to it than the 0 credit I'd like to give the excuse, but not a lot more.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 06:52 PM
On the Hawkeye board you read . . . This was NDSU's Super Bowl, they only have to get up for 1 game a year, we were flat, this is lose-lose, doesn't matter to Iowa, they won but are still irrelevant, we should have bought the game out, etc, etc.

Iowa has been hearing about this game for 2+ years. Jim Delaney and Barry Alverez had to be speaking directly with Iowa and Ferentz telling them it's time to finally shut up these little FCS upstarts. Two former NDSU folks on the Iowa staff. Iowa, how do you not get up for this Game?!! The whole B1G had to loving the fact that one of their champs and best teams would finally shut up NDSU and destroy the Bison.

To me, the fact that the B1G was finally going to put the best of the FCS in its place was the stronger force. No way that NDSU would once again sneak up on an FBS opponent. That is what NDSU overcame. What the hell happened Iowa?

You certainly cant be under the impression that the Iowa players or any team for that matter prepares 2 years for 1 team and 1 game?
What happened is pretty simple. We out played them.

VirginiaBison
09-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Well Iowa "bounced" back after their flat 34 yard running game against the Bison to 198 running yards against Rutgers.

For a while the Iowa-Rutgers game in the 4th quarter seemed eerily similar to the NDSU game.

Hammerhead
09-24-2016, 10:12 PM
With the exception of top 10. I honestly believe the gap between the FBS and FCS is not as big as everyone thinks.

IMHO, the gap between the top 10 and the rest of the P5 is bigger than the gap between the top 20 FCS and the FBS outside of the top 10.

td577
09-24-2016, 11:32 PM
IMHO, the gap between the top 10 and the rest of the P5 is bigger than the gap between the top 20 FCS and the FBS outside of the top 10.

Most of the truly top 10 teams in college football are in their own universe. That 15-25 is pretty tight and it really becomes any given Saturday. I think the top 5 teams in FCS can generally compete in that 20-30 range most years with the top couple of teams being competitive in the lower part of the top 20. In the past 6 years, NDSU has averaged around 38 in the Sagarin ratings. It is a 7 point game, on a neutral field between the 11th ranked team and the 40th ranked team most years, according to Sagarin. It is only one system and it doesn't mean one should put a lot of weight into it. It is just a recognized system that demonstrates statistically, there isn't that much that separates teams outside the top 10 and especially when you look at 25-50. Then you look at 1/2 of the P5 schools didn't average a rating of 38th and only 1 or 2 G5 school might have. I didn't figure those out.

There isn't a gap like the FBS wants you to believe. The perception is there to freeze the FCS out. I would say there could be an argument the FBS should be more parochial. They have schools in their own division who are losing money. They probably should be throwing them a bone first.

1993bison
09-28-2016, 01:07 AM
IA fans were kind of ho hum about the game. It's like they didn't lose anything. None of them seemed to be the least bit pissed off about the loss.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

17>1
09-28-2016, 02:39 PM
IA fans were kind of ho hum about the game. It's like they didn't lose anything. None of them seemed to be the least bit pissed off about the loss.

I don't agree with this at all. To me, they looked really shocked and disappointed. From a personal standpoint when we lost to USD last year, I wonder if someone would think I was pissed off or just really disappointed. If I'm walking out of the dome punching walls then yeah I'm probably pissed, but I don't do that sort of thing. So I'm probably going to just appear somber and bummed out, which is generally how I look after the Bison lose. Except at UNI a few years ago. The first thing I said to my dad when the final horn sounded was keep your head up, stick your chest out, because we're the mighty Bison and I'm not going to look defeated around a bunch of UNI Pussie fans.

56BISON73
09-28-2016, 03:38 PM

Iowa success runs in cycles. There are times when they are expected to win and have a good year. Only to be disappointed. Kind of like Viking fans they are just kind of numb after a defeat like that. Plus the average Iowa fan has no clue what NDSU is all about so the disappointment was double fold.

LikeMothers
09-28-2016, 07:03 PM

The gap is in hype, money, and greased palms. Not so much on the field of play.

THEsocalledfan
09-28-2016, 07:09 PM
The comment about the top 10 of FBS being the area of more clear separation was one of the most insightful and intelligent comments I've heard on Bisonville in some time. Sadly, few realize this in the national media or don't have the balls to say it.

Twincitybizon
09-28-2016, 08:53 PM
While I agree that for the most part the top 10 is where the proverbial gap is it's still football and style comes into play. While USC or Oregon are not top ten teams we would struggle more with them IMO than a good big ten team like Iowa. Just my opinion though and the latter will sort itself out in 2020 I believe.

BisonNeil
09-28-2016, 09:31 PM
The NDSU win over Iowa really wasn't that much of a surprise.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160927130545708101304

BisonAlumni
09-29-2016, 02:15 AM
While I agree that for the most part the top 10 is where the proverbial gap is it's still football and style comes into play. While USC or Oregon are not top ten teams we would struggle more with them IMO than a good big ten team like Iowa. Just my opinion though and the latter will sort itself out in 2020 I believe.

I guess we'll find out...

CalBison97
09-29-2016, 11:32 AM

If we played USC this year, we would beat them by more than 2 pts. They are a mess from top to bottom. Scheme over speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZHerd
09-29-2016, 11:51 AM
If we played USC this year, we would beat them by more than 2 pts. They are a mess from top to bottom. Scheme over speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. USC is terrible. They're a dumpster fire. Eastern Washington is more dangerous

Professor Chaos
09-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Well, this isn't good for Iowa's chances to go on a midseason run: Top Iowa WR Matt VandeBerg out indefinitely (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/top-iowa-wr-matt-vandeberg-out-indefinitely-152616675.html)

The program announced Tuesday morning that wide receiver Matt VandeBerg suffered a foot injury during practice on Monday. The school did not specify the nature of the injury or how long the senior will be out, other than saying he will “miss games.”

He was their leading receiver by a wide margin with 19 receptions for 284 yards and 3 TDs (2 of those against the Bison).

MNLonghorn10
09-29-2016, 03:48 PM
And the other guys can't catch. Say good bye to the quality win title

1993bison
09-29-2016, 03:52 PM
And the other guys can't catch. Say good bye to the quality win title
Their TE seemed to have no problem getting open and catching the ball against the Bison. George ???

MNLonghorn10
09-29-2016, 03:54 PM
Ah. So run the same play hoping the tight end can get behind the linebackers and get open?

Greg Davis doesn't have the imagination and offensive plays to overcome this

1993bison
09-30-2016, 12:34 AM
Ah. So run the same play hoping the tight end can get behind the linebackers and get open?

Greg Davis doesn't have the imagination and offensive plays to overcome this
Come on, give George some credit. I thought he played very well against the Bison.